Why do teachers demand so many school supplies?

I buy what’s on school lists but keep majority of it at home until it’s needed. I also put my kids names on their stuff.

If you don’t keep stuff at home the teachers stores it all or puts it in a pile and dishes it out to everyone. Our kids teacher did the latter. So I started writing their names on every thing. They only take one notebook and one pencil to first day.

2 Likes

I typically get whatever I can from the dollar store then the rest as Walmart. If you can find things online in bulk do that and the teacher will have alot of stuff

1 Like

The board of education gives all this out free before school starts. You just have to go pick it up.

Most parents do not understand a school supply list is supposed to be for the entire year. Are you supposed to buy 100 pencils and dump all 100 in their bag? Heck no. The list they give you is everything they’ll need for the year the whole year

6 Likes

Not hating on teachers. Not sure if the list comes from the district or schools choices but every year they bring back 3 or 4 notebooks with 4 pages written in them and the rest blank or not at all. Seems we can maybe recheck the list for efficiency

it is hard but get into the habit of buying some stuff here and there long before school starts. Even if it’s grabbing I sleeve of pencils once every other week it adds up. You will always need pencils, folders, note books, crayons etc most years grab those things off and on too. Call your local family services and ask about school supplies programs. Churches may be another option to call and ask. Also buy off brand!!!

1 Like

School supplies is easy it’s the clothes and shoes and accessories that bring the bill over the top. Omg I remember only wanting Calvin Klein Jean’s. My poor mum .

I would just get what you can. I know a lot of parents don’t have any extra money for those things or they’re limited on what they can get.

1 Like

Love that I barely bought anything for my 3 kids, ones graduated high school this year, for their entire school life lol

2 Likes

When I went to school K thru 6th we were supplied with everything by the school. Higher grades we decided with our parents what was needed. But that was before all the schools decided to spend the millions they get on other things. We pay very high school taxes so I feel in grade school most supplies should be provided and should not have to come out of teachers pockets. I always had extra pencils, crayons, colored pencils, paper, scissors, glue etc. For my son to use at home for school work and projects. When he needed a pencil or pen for school I did send them, but found if I sent him with everything they put on those lists at one time they ended up being given to other children, by my son or the teacher. He always started the school year with supplies needed but did not send him with 100 pencils and all the glue sticks at one time! They never had lockers in grade school so things just disappeared!

we dont send that much we send half or less wut in the supply list n write a note to teacher saying when she starts getting low let us know n we will go buy it n send it to school

2 Likes

The teacher shouldn’t have to pay out of their own pocket for your kids shit either. But since parents don’t wanna send all the shit they need for the year or refill as needed, everyone gets to send in extra

Because some parents don’t have the extra money. And teachers then have to pay out of pocket so they ask others to supply extras if they can. Sure it’s annoying and inconvenient but not the schools fault. Their budgets get cut and they can’t even pay their teachers a decent salary.

2 Likes

I got a 30 pk of glue sticks for $8 and 96 Ticonderoga pencils for $5 watching deals on Amazon. If you watch thru out the year you can get it all cheap instead of paying full price a week before school

6 Likes

I used to buy all the stuff on the list for both my kids. However after realizing that they don’t use 99% of it. I stopped buying everything and only started buying the necessities that they needed (notebook, pencil, folder, and eraser) and that’s all that I sent. When they came home and said I need colored pencils or crayons or whatever I would go out and buy that specific item

5 Likes

You don’t think your child will use 24 glue sticks throughout a school year? 100 pencils? Those kids are doing hard work every day. They are using those materials to explore, learn and develop. I absolutely believe one kid could barrel through those supplies.

3 Likes

Those that CAN afford do so because the teacher would need to provide those otherwise. Just get what you can. There are classmates who can only afford a single pencil.

2 Likes

A lot of times it’s to supply the entire school year. Some lists are completely ridiculous but if I have the funds I always buy them. I think they ask for so many sometimes to help with the kids whose parents can’t afford it or just plain out don’t care. If you don’t have the funds, buy what you can. A lot of times it’s not mandatory for the amount of everything, it’s more of a ask and donation. I’m about to ask the school that my kids attend if they’d allow us to put up a little cabinet with toiletries(deodorant etc) and some supplies for those that truly need it and don’t have it at home. And replenish it as the year goes by.

1 Like

Have you seen what teachers make? It’s next to nothing. I would be more than happy to supply my daughter’s classrooms with extra stuff when we need to in order for all of the kids succeed… not just her. Since my kids are doing virtual next year, it will just be supplying my kids with the things they need.

2 Likes

I never send them all and replenish when needed

1 Like

Watch amzon deal pages, I have been grabbing schools supplies for cheap on those pages. I got a pack of 24 kid sisosors for $6. 20 glue sticks for $3. 100 pencils for like $5. They pop up but the deals are there.

2 Likes

Then don’t. If you don’t have the extra you don’t have the extra. 

1 Like

We buy what we can afford. If they don’t like it then tough. My kids gotta eat.

1 Like

It’s not a requirement, get only what you can afford. Plain and simple. Through out the year, I do try and send a note asking if there is a need for anything.

2 Likes

I mean let’s be real here. Your child will likely go through damn near 24 glue sticks throughout the year! Glue sticks don’t last long and elementary kids are careless. And kids lose pencils all the time! You can several glue sticks relatively cheap at Walmart right now

The schools in my area , you purchase for your child but the first day of school the teachers take them and distribute through out the school year.

I agree! My daughter (just finished kindergarten) brought home about 1/3 of her supplies at the end of the year untouched including glue sticks and an entire bottle of regular glue. And several unsharpened pencils. But I also know my daughter is responsible and doesn’t break things and takes care of her supplies. She’s still using her crayons and markers to color that she brought home at the end of the year. Other kids probably don’t take care of the supplies though.

3 Likes

If you can afford it then I would send it. If you can’t afford it then I wouldn’t worry about it. A lot of schools don’t fund the teachers supplies for the school year so it ends up coming out of their own pocket. There’s a lot of kids in each classroom so that becomes extremely expensive. A lot of parents are unable to provide any supplies even for their own children so that’s why they ask if other parents are able to afford it to pitch it so that those children have materials. It’s a team effort! Just supply what you can :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As a teacher I have never asked for that many glue sticks, pencils yes! Children are like bad magicians, they make everything disappear but it never reappears! :rofl:
Honestly though, just send what you can, teachers are like magicians too, we tend to make things appear if there is a need for any child!

5 Likes

Well teachers don’t even get to request items on our district. The higher up decided what we all need and usually it’s not what the teachers want.

1 Like

As a daughter of a teacher, 85% of all supplies they have are boughten out of pocket. The school pays for very little.

1 Like

I’m probably repeating stuff but whatever.

Because schools do not supply them with what’s needed anymore. Because teachers do not make enough money to supply OUR kids with the things OUR kids need

3 Likes

It’s for the entire year. They wouldn’t be able to get parents to bring supplys mid year.

I’ve been saying…

This is serious

Community effort and as a educator, they all loose things daily. When everyone pulls together then ALL the kids are always covered regardless. However, I understand not being able to do this financially.

1 Like

They don’t demand school supplies. It’s not a requirement to purchase school supplies. The school has to provide their own materials. It’s in their budget to do so.

2 Likes

Honestly. They are taking care of my kid for the day and I don’t have to pay for it. I will send them with all the school supplies they need and more.

12 Likes

Just do the best you can

It’s ok my son was denied a pencil when he was unable to find his … he sat for 2 classes with NO WRITINF TOOL and I had to leave work to take him a package of pencils. Took it right up to the teachers desk and told her I didn’t want to ever hear of such a ridiculous situation ever again or I would take it up with the board of education. Also told the principal she should consider keeping spares in the office for such situations.

5 Likes

It’s for parents like you. If you can’t afford it, talk to the school. Parents who can, typically donate more throughout the year for under privileged children.

8 Likes

In my day schools supplied everything. Now pretty much nothing. My daughter received one large hand sanitizerr her 4 classes during the height of covid.Of course she went out and bought more. Only send in what you can afford. The teachers don’t want you to go broke but they don’t want to either.

2 Likes

Most teachers buy supplies for the kids

1 Like

Because not every school receives enough money for the supplies. Most of that comes in one pack. Either buy it or don’t. Not really something to nag on honestly. Teachers spend a lot of their own money for classroom supplies. Least we can do as parents is help out

2 Likes

It’s funny How you pay school taxes and when kids go to school that you have to provide their classroom supplies…WHERE IS ALL THAT TAX MONEY GOING…

3 Likes

What school is asking for all that?
Are you combining the list they give you for YOUR child, & the list they give you that is asking for anything extra on that list for the class as a whole?
Teachers don’t get paid to get supplies for kids. If they’re picking them up, they’re paying for them out of pocket.

Send what you can, that’s literally all they ask for.

2 Likes

They ask for it for the class as some parents can’t afford classroom supplies. My child’s education isn’t the only priority it’s not right for me to let a kids education suffer just because of a situation they can’t control when I can easily send In the supplies. I try to buy from sams and Amazon to buy in bulk. If it seems like to much break it up and buy a little at a time

2 Likes

I bought supplies last year and they stayed in my son’s bag all year. Smh he said they said they had enough. I wasn’t very thrilled.

If you ask the school nicely , there are programs to help .

For kids that don’t have parents to buy their regular packs of these items

Because it helps the teachers provide what is needed for all the students…they do so much for our children n they usually pay out their own pocket for classroom items…

Kids are reckless with supplies. Breaking pencils, chewing and throwing erasers, loosing them. Using wayyyyy too much glue from the glue from the glue stick. They ask for 24 glue sticks for a school year. 100s of projects.

1 Like

That probably won’t even last until Christmas and then teachers take from their own pockets to buy for the rest of the year. I’m a school teacher and usually only half of students bring supplies. Some schools don’t give money to teachers for supplies, so that comes from the teacher’s pocket.

This as not true our taxes pay for this

They use these things daily it isn’t much to ask for . Public schools use what they can get . It’s when you pay priVate school fees and still have to supply this … give what you can it’s your child they have six hours a day

Usually the school does not provide supplies and a lot of the supplies come out of the teacher’s pocket and imagine providing supplies for say 20 to 30 students of course the teachers going to ask for the parents to help

Call ur kids school and ask here where I live the school gives u vouchers for all ur kids that attend school