Why does my 1-year-old hate the car seat?

What do you do when your 1 year old refuses to sit down in her car seat?? I hate to force her down to sit :sob: I give her cup toys and tv she just won’t sit down!!

25 Likes

Oh my gosh be a parent and sit her down! SMH!!

28 Likes

It’s a phase. I just force her down (again not violently). But I would get her set in the seat and kind of use one arm to hold her in place and use the other to strap her in.

6 Likes

Push her down and buckle her bottom then her top. It is a normal phase, it will pass.

2 Likes

It’s not a choice. Put her in that seat. She may not like it, but safety comes first.

2 Likes

My kids never got a Choice in the matter and I certainly didnt reward for bad behavior :person_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

You sit them in a seat and buckle them while They’re screaming crying and kicking they’ll get over it.

Not a freaking choice… :woman_facepalming: you dont give them a choice when it comes to their safety

1 Like

Buckle them in and move on. I’d rather have a pissed off kid than a dead one.

4 Likes

you force them to sit, buckle them up and try to focus on driving over their screaming tantrum bc like this phase, it will pass. :wink:

1 Like

You make her sit :woman_shrugging: she can hate it all she wants but its better that she be safe. If you want to avoid fits altogether then just don’t go anywhere.

2 Likes

You force them in the seat and try to explain calmly why it’s important. Either way, you MAKE them stay

You will get a ticket.

Make them sit and turn the music up so you can’t hear the tantrum :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m just curious…if she won’t sit down and you don’t know how to make her sit down…are you driving with her standing? Or do you go back in the house and decide to not go anywhere?

6 Likes

She’s not buckled into a carseat??? Wtf?? Its literally life or death do you want to see her tiny body flying through the windshield because that’ll happen in the event of a bad accident.

2 Likes

Tap that little ass! She is learning the most rn on what she can get over on you on! Show her your mom!

You seat her, buckle her, and let her scream in safety. Jesus

2 Likes

You’re the parent aren’t you???
You don’t have to be violent about it but when it comes to her friggen saftey. You buckle her in her goddam seat whether she likes it or not.

9 Likes

Who is running the show here mom? If you can’t handle this issue at this age you are in for one hell of a ride. She is not being harmed in any way. Strap her in, and turn a deaf ear to the tantrum. Get a baby sitter and leave her home. Those are your choices. Good luck.

4 Likes

I feel like she’s asking ways to make the ride better, not saying she doesn’t buckle her in… at least that’s how I read it.

4 Likes

I always say let’s buckle up for safety when going into the seat from pretty much day one. Mine will usually put his arms in while I’m hooking bottom, but on days he wants to resist, I am the boss. I will sit him down and hold his hips and snap and repeat we have to buckle up for safety. It’s the car rule.

1 Like

You force her to sit. Not optional

2 Likes

Um. You act like a parent and make her sit in her car seat. It’s not optional.

4 Likes

Itll pass but hold her ass down safety first

How can she get up if she is strapped in correctly :thinking: sometimes mine would try to get out but couldn’t. Tell her it’s a danger and it’s illegal and cops will pull you over or she could get injured if u were in an accident

There is not a choice when it comes to buckling up and that goes for anyone no matter what age in my vehicle. It doesn’t move until everyone is buckled.

You make her and strap her in :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Take a book , doll , coloring page , favorite toy don’t give her the items unless she sits down . Also kids shouldn’t eat while u r driving they can choke

1 Like

Some of you are so damn rude and judgmental. Not on just this post either. I’m assuming this mom is looking for suggestions on how to keep her child seated and/or how to have a somewhat enjoyable ride.

You make her sit and buckle her. If you have to wrestle her you wrestle her. That’s what I do…I make them sit and I hurry and buckle and then go where I need to go :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

My son has been doing this for 5 months now… since he was 8 months old. It’s horrible!! I know how you feel mama!! The screaming like you’re hurting them but you’ve checked everything and it’s comfortable and not too tight or poking or anything! He used to calm down for a bottle but since he graduated to the sippy, it doesn’t calm him anymore. Toys don’t distract, he just throws them. It’s the beginnings of temper tantrums but they’re so young!

I wish I had more advice, but alas I can only commiserate lol. I mean, obviously we still sit the kid down and strap them in and drive where we gotta. But there’s gotta be some secret to making them hate carseats less. Listening to a crying kid for 15+ minutes every drive is no fun.

I usually just duct tape mine to the roof of the car when he pulls this shit.

Why is she in the car seat in the house? Or did do you mean a tv in the car? You just have to buckle her with a harness. The harness should be too difficult for a baby or toddler to unbuckle herself. Be very stern about the safety of the car seat.

Wait. You don’t make it clear if it’s while your driving. Now if you are having the issues make sure the straps pass the pinch test. She shouldn’t be able to wiggle iut of the straps then

Hand her a toy or a snack, it’s hard to fight getting in the seat if their hands are full. Give her something she really likes ONLY when she gets in her seat. If she loves fruit snacks give her some for getting in her seat but don’t let her have them any other time. Use whatever she really likes, doesn’t have to be fruit snack, just an example, could be a toy, book, drink. She will learn to associate the seat with something pleasant.

Bust that ass and get your mom voice on!!

You choose to raise the child and buckle them in. When you become a parent you make the decision and the child will learn who the boss is to many children trying to outdo parents nowadays :pray:

4 Likes

Omg I remember this fight…sitting on the curb waiting for my darling sweet face to finish the tantrum and sit…ughh good luck mama

1 Like

If your having a hard time or feeling bad about making her sit now think ahead to when she is a teenager and doesn’t want to listen…Make her sit now while she is little since not only is it the law and she will also learn that she cant always get her way…They do learn what is accepted eventually and in this case its not a choice on if they do or not so make her sit.

1 Like

I say we need to stay in seat and buckled up and if my kids fight I have few officers I know talk to them about car and seat safety even with the age my kids are and there 6&8

Why is her seat loose enough for her to get up to begin with :angry::angry::angry:

I blow in my sons face lol he thinks I’m playing and it catches him off guard long enough to buckle

My 5 month old planks…I tickle her thighs :joy::joy:

Ummm you be a parent and make her little butt sit down. Being a parent isn’t being a friend it is stepping up because you love them and causing tears because you care. Id you can’t handle making her sit in a carseat… Well, the rest of parenthood is going to chew you up and spit you out. You may want to hurry up and grow a back bone because it’s going to be a bumpy hard ride and your kid is going to rule you, everything you do, along with every relationship you have.

4 Likes

Time to parent ! The car does not move until the child is buckled in. No choice for the child.

4 Likes

Tighten up the straps so she can’t get out! It’s a safety issue…

2 Likes

Wow, all the marvelous ways to try to bribe a child…just put them in the seat and buckle them in!

5 Likes

Don’t be too rough but you will have to force her to sit down and buckle her in as you gently push her down into the seat. I do it to my 2 year old because he arches his back and fights me

5 Likes

Guys she’s obviously buckles her and is a parents she’s more or less looking for some possible creative ideas that worked with veteran parents possibly :crazy_face::woman_shrugging::hugs:

4 Likes

Just force them to sit lol my daughter did the same thing. She eventually grew out of it

I say it’s nonnegotiable

she has to sray in seat,thats it.Its whats right for her

Put your foot down and show her who is the parent.

1 Like

Then she doesn’t go!!!

Add 10 years to any early childhood age and you will see your future teen. Be in charge. You are the parent.

2 Likes

Stop playing her games. Car safety is very Important. Be very stern with her. Ignore the protest she is giving.

6 Likes

Stop all the nonsense. Declare “safety first” and give all the cups, toys and tv AFTER she is set.

6 Likes

I never had to bribe my son and I don’t do the bribing thing. He is expected to what he is told and he does. There are times I had to get firm but he is now 8 and the most well behaved little boy you have ever met. I never have to ask him twice to do anything.

You strap her little tail down and turn the radio up louder.

12 Likes

You don’t have to push her into the seat. Just use one arm for the back and butt, then use the other hand for her ankles, and bend at the hip.

Ask if she wants to sit in a time out and then get in her seat, or if she just wants to get in her seat.

:neutral_face: um…strap her in properly and she won’t stand. You’re the mom, stand up for what’s right.

3 Likes

Glad you are being sensitive to your little one. As a grandmother I urge gentle firmness, only when necessary. The law makes it necessary in this case.
Good on you mom. It isn’t easy to be a parent.

You make them sit down and you buckle them up. Whether they try to fight it, cry, or anything. I always explain to my son (who is 3 now) that he has to be buckled up because it keeps him safe. We can’t go anywhere without being buckled up and straps tightened so we’re safe

Tap her on her rear and don’t play games with her you are the parent.

3 Likes

You all gotta stop worrying about making your kids cry and crap. Your teaching to behave and be safe. Not teaching them to manipulate a situation to get what you want. It’s a good lesson to cry and not get your way.

7 Likes

I dont tell them anything. I sit them down & STRAP THEM IN ACCURATELY. when belts are fashioned how they were designed the child can’t move & unbuckle. I definitely dont negotiate with 1 year olds :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

Yo. Same. :joy::joy: my 1 year old screams and arches and refuses. I try to give him toys to distract him or I’ll put him in his car seat outside so he’s distracted by his surroundings.

She’s literally asking for advice on how to get her child to go into her car seat without the trantrums and fits not to have everyone tell her just to force her and leave her to scream! Tf kind of moms are u! She’s a baby! Not every child is the same or likes to be in the car! She wants advice on teaching her or distracting her from the situation since she has tried some toys and tv she said! :woman_facepalming:t3:

10 Likes

Check her seat. My daughter did this all the time so i took her seat apart and there was a plastic piece in her back that had shifted and was poking her i fixed it and there hasnt been a fit since. Bring it in the house let her get used to it

1 Like

Also idk why people are advising to spank. Like this is a 1 year old we’re talking about. My son can’t even walk or understand much at all. Like yeah this is the age where they start rebelling but they have no idea between right and wrong which is why they need to be told no and redirected. I’m not against spanking because I spank my 5 year old when absolutely necessary but that just seems a little much for a 1 year old, they’re basically still babies.

4 Likes

How is she able to stand up if she’s strapped in? My kids have never given me any problems with sitting in their carseats, so I have no advice. Her safety is is important.

Why negotiate with a child? You’re not their friend you’re their parent teach them make them do what is right. Your child will only throw a fit the first few times after you start making them do that because they will understand then that this is what they have to do.

5 Likes

And you probably let her out one time, that’s all it takes. Take charge, you are the parent. You don’t want the alternative.

4 Likes

I honestly don’t think any baby likes to be put in their seat… I know none of mine did. But u just have to make them… Nothing will make it better or easier… Ur just going to have to make her then turn up ur radio till she stops… I Kno it’s hard mama but u have to do what u have to do to keep ur little one safe

2 Likes

Kids don’t like to be strapped in, they scream, it’s a thing. You sit them in their seat and you don’t give them to opportunity to stand in it, strap them in first and then do whatever you need to do after.

1 Like

You have to raise them up teaching them who is in charge… You dont have to be mean or hurt a child to teach them you are the parent & its going to be your way or they dont go- they dont get their way.Good luck. You just have to show them who is the boss by the tone of your voice - the look on your face should let them know you mean bussiness.

5 Likes

My daughter was a little iffy about moving into her 4in1 booster seat from her “newborn” seat. So I moved it into the house and set it up beside the couch, it took a couple days and she learned to sit in it and enjoy it on her own

Get a DVD player to put on back of your seat or passenger seat for her to watch a children’s video.

1 Like

Make her sit. There were times where I had to force my son to sit in his car seat.

5 Likes

Who cares if she cries? Her ass needs to sit in her seat and get buckled up. It’s about safety. Stop giving into your child. Be the damn parent.

Hold her down, put a big old piece of duct tape on her mouth so she knows who’s boss, tie some big ol restraints around her hands, strap her in and there ya go!

7 Likes

Push behind her knees (just enough) so that she bends, strap her in, let her scream, and keep it movin :person_shrugging:

8 Likes

Can try singing or listening to music. Maybe have the seat out at home so she can sit in it when she wants to for fun so she gets use to it. Never negotiate when it comes to a child’s safety. Child sits and gets strapped. Period. It’s hard when they are so upset…but she will learn. I would rather a crying freaking out child properly strapped, then child being in danger anyday!!! Try singing and having the chair inside ur home l. Might help.

1 Like

Thanks to OP I NEEDED this laugh

4 Likes

Put the car seat in the house so she can play in it and maybe feel more comfortable with it… then it won’t seem so daunting in the car.

1 Like

Uhm. Who’s the boss? Force her in, let her cry about it, and she’ll get used to it someday.

13 Likes

Ummm its s child :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Tickle the hell out of her!! That worked for my boys when they were little :woman_shrugging:t2: helped me be less frustrated too. Instead being pissed off and frustrated it was a silly game that last just a few seconds. I also encouraged them buckling themselves very young. They liked the idea of being Big boys. I of course adjusted if they didn’t do it correctly.

4 Likes

Wow, I personally would contact Guinness world records because she must be a giant baby to be bigger than an adult :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

Uh u make them sit down lol

3 Likes

My one year old as well :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Make her or stay home forever.

1 Like

:woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

You are the Mom…you put her in it. If she needs a different one until she learns. Get it…thete are also safety things that prevent them from undoing the buckle.
This is only the first thing you will need to let her see there is no negotiating…for her safety.
Putting boundaries creates security and trust.
Crazy to let it be such an issue.

er in it

2 Likes

Force, its not fun, but what would you rather have: a screaming child or a toddler on your bonnet?

4 Likes

You dont move the car until she sits down.If that does not work try to her on her sit if she wont sit have one there help you. Take out of the and hand to the other person and walk away. If she cries go back to her and tell her she can if she sits. You can put the car seat in the house for her to climb in and out of it. If nothing works get here sitter.

1 Like

You are the parent not her. Put her in her seat.

4 Likes

You are the parent. Not her

2 Likes