Why hasn't my boyfriend said I love you?

Does he lack with communication in other areas? If so he may be reserved, if you feel you have a genuine friendship, I’d talk about it! After a whole year together, communication should be open and easy :heart:

Being burned is no excuse, and often men who say that as a reason to be reserved, are in fact the ones who burned others.

4 Likes

Everyone moves at their own pace, so take what others say with a grain of salt. Instead of jumping to conclusions, talk to him. Communicate!! Also, it shouldn’t be so much of what he says, but what he does. Does he show his love for you in his actions? That’s what you need to pay attention to.

10 Likes

Mine done the same thing we were to get known each other for four years live together for 3 1/2 we snuggled in bed every night and then he never said it but three times in three years

2 Likes

It’s not what he says, it’s how he treats you.

2 Likes

I was in a relationship for a year and a half and we both never said I love you. Love takes time. People rush into that way to fast these days and don’t understand the weight of there words. As always communication is key and if hes not meeting your expected timeline for things say something

2 Likes

Does he treat you well? Does he listen? Does he let you have the last bite of a fave dessert? Does he make you laugh? Does he help you do mundane tasks? Are you best friends and he will choose to be with you if you’re sad instead of going somewhere with his friends? These are all acts of love and kindness. Not everything has to be so serious and questionable. If bothers you he doesn’t say the words, you need to decide for yourself if you’re happy or not.

1 Like

Does he show it? Do you feel it? Love is more than words, if there was no “I love you” saying, Would you know it by his actions?

The boyfriend I am with now is a Commitment phobic never marrying man in his 40’s. I have known him over 16 years and we broke up many different times. He never said he loved me until 10 years ago. I learned real fast to not say I love you to him so I would not listen for and hear nothing as a response back.

Have you said it to him? If he’s burned and he’s with you and only you those words might scare him to say. Just say it to him but only if it’s true. If he says it back then problem solved. If not then asses the situation and talk about it like adults. Don’t cry or throw a fit, just talk about it. The key to a healthy relationship is open communication :heart: you got this girl!

I’m in the same boat. And I have said it to him. I just try to keep my feelings in check and Im ready for him to leave at any time. Biggest reason I won’t move in with him.

Action speaks louder than words… If you have no complaints anywhere else be patient… In due time

1 Like

You know if he does … pay attention

3 Likes

Had the issue. Was always told actions speak louder than words, anyone can say something. After a while of courtship his actions pretty much sucked too. He would always say that neither of my parents ever said it to me, which is true, so why was it so important, I should be used to it. Believe me, you will NEVER get used to it.

There is no time on love… what do his actions say. Think of it like this, who you comparing him too… 10000 guys who say I love you in a month or two, how did those pan out… the words are far too easy to say, & the fact that y’all need it said, being more important than… is why you end up with the wrong. I don’t need pretty words, or stupid promises, I need actions. And, I am not one to say I love you the first year either…

1 Like

How old are you guys?

1 Like

It took my so 2 years

That speaks for itself; be with someone who loves you

2 Likes

Actions speak louder than words!

1 Like

It took my fiance 4 years to say I love you to me. Maybe your boyfriend just isn’t ready yet. Be patient. If he does love you, he will say it when the time is right!

Took my partner 16 months…everyone goes at their own pace. X

1 Like

There is no time frame. Some say it after only a few weeks whilst others say it after months even years. Does he treat you good ? Does he make you feel loved & cared about? If yes then honestly you have nothing to worry about. Being shown your loved is worth so much more than those 3 words.

2 Likes

Are you sure he is in relationship with you? Or its just you??

2 Likes

Mines hasn’t said it for years lol and even then, he only said it maybe once or twice. We’ve been together for 11 years and have a child together. He’s also raising my ex’s children too. He chose to be with me and make a life with me and my kids, that means more to me than him saying he loves me. If your man treats you right, hugs you, kisses you, and makes you feel important, then thats what matters.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Why hasn't my boyfriend said I love you? - Mamas Uncut

Maybe he doesn’t love you and isn’t the type to lie about his feelings🤷🏼‍♀️

9 Likes

He will say it when he is ready. A year really isn’t that long , some people don’t even consider that really serious yet.

6 Likes

It took my ex 1 year exactly to tell me he loved me. We met on his bday and then the next year on his bday he told me he loved me.
So have a little patience. He’ll tell you when he’s ready.

Ask him how he feels about you and your guys relationship. Get an idea, but definitely don’t just flat out ask. That might scare him.

Yep. Said it when we were ready. Its just words. Actions are louder than that

Maybe he doesn’t love you yet.

1 Like

He will say it when he means it .

Tbh If he don’t love you after a year he never will.

6 Likes

It took me quiet a while to say I love you to my partner. Why? I didn’t love him but I did like him a lot! I was hurt in the past and I was still healing so maybe he is healing from his past?

1 Like

Its only been a year…relax. Dont force love or it isnt love at all. He could lie and say he does but dont you want honesty in a relationship?

I have a hard time saying I love you. I show my love differently than my partner but we know we love each other. We both have different love languages. 🤷

2 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t feel that he needs to say it

Over a year? dump this guy and find a new guy

2 Likes

Well… If he hasn’t said he loves you then he doesn’t love you. At least he isn’t lying to you. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

We didn’t use the terms “i love you” until a yr or so. Maybe words aren’t his love language. Honestly it’s more what they do out love rather than saying it for me🤷

It’s barely been a year tho

3 Likes

Good point from a lot of people saying he doesn’t love you that’s why he isn’t saying it. But I feel like after a year it should be clear about both party’s feelings by now. The big question here is do YOU love him? And do you say it to him and he just doesn’t say it back?

2 Likes

Just because he hasn’t verbally said it, doesn’t mean he doesn’t love you. There are lots of ways to say I love you. It’s in the little things he does for you.

1 Like

That’s never happened to me in my entire life.

I don’t think I have and we’re going into our 3rd year. You don’t have to say it to show it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

He may love you but show you in his own ways… Males are different at times…

1 Like

I rather have it later and be real tbe sooner and fake .

Do you feel loved? Does he show you that he cares, respects you and wants to be with you and only you? Words are words. Actions mean more.

4 Likes

We didnt tell each other i love you until after a yr

Something is up. It’s ok to be burned but if you won’t say it bc you’re scared to be burned to that extent, don’t date

Everyone talking about love language, it’s from a book isn’t it? What’s it called please?

If you love him say it… Then ask questions if he doesn’t say it back

2 Likes

i was on and off with someone for 3.5 years and never said i love you to him lol i knew in my heart i had deep feelings for him but knew it wasn’t love. he constantly expressed to me he loved me but i just couldn’t force myself to just “say it back” just to say it and make him feel better. maybe he just doesn’t love you and im so sorry to say this i mean this in the nicest way😔

4 Likes

Does he show you? That’s the important part. If the words are something you need to hear and his actions show it, just talk to him.

1 Like

I wanted to say I love you to my girlfriend on new years last year bit she was wayyy too tired after the festivities… She said it a week later… We’ve been happy since

Saying it doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Only you know how he is with you, do you feel loved, does he respect you? It’s definitely something to talk about with him if it’s really troubling you but love is something you feel and show, not something you say. X

2 Likes

As long as he treats you good just be patient maybe he’s being careful you never know. You could always talk to him about it and see how he really feels.

1 Like

It’s only been a year. Sometimes things take time. Or he’s afraid of admitting it incase something goes wrong with the both of you? Just talk to him about it. Like what was mentioned before, he may have been showing it to you that he loves you instead of flat out telling/verbally you he loves you.

1 Like

Saying it means nothing, what’s important is if he shows it.

4 Likes

Does he treat you like he does? Do you feel loved? I’d be more worried about that then the words

2 Likes

Sit down with him and talk.

Love isn’t supposed to be rushed

I don’t say it to much to my guy like I should and been together almost 12 yrs he doesn’t to much either but we both love each other. Part of it is because my last relationship said it and bad relationship

1 Like

Ive been with mine for a little over 3 years and still havent said it. We were together for 8 then split for 7 now back for a little over 3. Nothing wrong with it. We show each other love rather than saying it.

1 Like

He probably…naw never mind…

Be worried, you’re probably more invested in him than he is you. Speaking from experience

3 Likes

I love u, it just a word, it’s one of the best words ,and best feelings, but if he is good to u and treats you well, let it be…he might be scared to say it. Besides actions mean more then words…

1 Like

I told my husband (then bf) I love you first. We had both been burned in the past and waited a while to say it. Also, my husband isn’t much of a words of affirmation guy. He might not always tell me he loves me but he shows me everyday in his actions. Learn to read his love language too.

2 Likes

Words are cheap. Actions speak volumes

Well maybe he just doesn’t love you. If it bothers you ask him if he loves u n if he can’t answer u just end d relationship…

1 Like

I know a lady who has been married 30 years and has only had him say it a handful of times, it bothers her sometimes. His response is words are cheap he prefers to show it.

3 Likes

If you’ve been with someone a year and they don’t love you girl move on. No one needs a man who doesn’t know how he feels.

7 Likes

My boyfriend always says it before we get off the phone or leave one another; however, his preference is for me to tell him what he is doing that is creating my feelings of love for him in the moment I am prompted to say I love you. It’s sweet. It bothers me sometimes because we, as a society, place so much emphasis on the words instead of the actions behind the words. Just my opinion.

It took my husband 5 months. I think it’s taking too long.

He doesn’t love you…??

1 Like

It’s been a year… he hasn’t said it because he doesn’t feel it. Period.

3 Likes

Do his actions prove it show his love for you? Tell him daily you love him.

There isn’t a time limit on when someone should say this. Some never do. Rather have em not say it rather than lie

If it’s what you want, he’s not ready or probably won’t be. Ask yourself if that’s okay.

I love you is so generic these days me and my bf been together over a year and don’t say that either but I say it to my friends and few other ppl if you feel it then what’s understood don’t need to be explained

3 Likes

Tell him, if he loves you let you know!

2 Likes

My now boyfriend was in a relationship for a year and never told his ex he loved her (bc he didn’t) but she said she was gonna go into a deep depression if he left her so that’s why he stayed so long. So yeah I’d say he probably doesn’t feel the same but talk to him about it!! :slightly_smiling_face:

It all depends on the dude… if it bothers you enough to ask about of “fb experts” maybe you should talk to him about it.

1 Like

It took mine a year and a half to say it to me. Then he proposed less than a year later. Got married 6 months after that. Now we’ve been married 2 years.

But there is no guarantee if it will happen like that for you or not. :woman_shrugging:t3: sending you luck and positive vibes :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Some men didnt hear those words growing up from their parents it’s hard for them to Express what wasnt expressed to them…he be ok he will one day keep teaching him it’s ok to let people know u love them

Maybe he isn’t ready yet. Maybe ask him how he feels.

Because he doesn’t love you yet

1 Like

Everyones love language is different, his might not be verbal confirmations of love but rather physical, or gift giving, or helping you do things.

In my opinion if it’s been a year and he hasn’t said it, he doesn’t mean it. It shouldn’t take that long. Just like a couple whose been together for 5+ years and the guy said he doesn’t know if he wants to be married yet. He doesn’t. It doesn’t take years to know if you love someone and see it yourself with them. I knew my hubby 6 weeks and we both said I love you, and got pregnant young. We got married a month before my son was born and we’re going on 6 years together now.

6 Likes

Because he doesn’t love you

5 Likes

Me and my husband it was over a year before me or him said I love you to each other. He will say it when he is ready to.

Actions speak louder than words. Does he make you feel like he loves you? Just because he hasn’t said it doesn’t mean its not true.

2 Likes

Time together doesn’t have any correlation with loving someone.

4 Likes

He’s not ready or sure

My husband didn’t say it for the first 4 years we dated. He explained it to me and I understood. He told me he loved me when he proposed. We’ve been together 8 years now. People put too much pressure on words and not enough on actions. He showed me he loved me from very early on, I didn’t need to hear the words.

12 Likes

I would definitely ask. My husband told me her loved me first. I didn’t say it back right away. It took me a awhile. And I told him I wasn’t ready.

He’ll say it when he’s ready.

My boyfriend and I been together almost a year. We tell each other olive juice. Cause we both been hurt in the past. Love you is a very strong word

1 Like

Love is just a word . Pay attention to his actions they will show you if he loves you . Actions speak louder than words .

2 Likes

Me and my boyfriend didn’t say it until almost a year and a half but he showed me daily that he loved me. Anyone can say they love you but if they don’t show it then it’s just words. We were both in abusive relationships before and we wanted to wait to say it.

1 Like

At least he isn’t telling you he loves you, and actually doesn’t.
But seriously, NO one can say he “does Not love you”…
Love is shown, and actions speak louder then words. If he is faithful, and makes you feel like a billion bucks, you never question his actions, then why question it?
Trust your gut, dont be fooled by words.