Why hasn't my boyfriend said I love you?

I was at a point where I was ready to say it but I never did cause he hadn’t said it yet. We were having an argument about something and I was like do you even love me cause I feel like we’re wasting time?! We explained how he did love me, very much but he was scared to open his heart and actually say it cause of his experience with his ex. I understood and left it and a couple weeks later he brought me in my room and gave me the most memorable kiss and told me he loved me. I was like you sure? Don’t say it if you really aren’t ready. He convinced me by repeating it about 10 times and then I said it back and now he literally says it more than me in a day :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

When you know you know, and a year later he should know 100%

1 Like

Actions and words should align. Always. Anything else isn’t healthy.

2 Likes

Have you said it to him? What’s his reaction to that?

A year? I’d ask him. I mean by now this has to be going somewhere I’d hope lol.

Have you sed it to him? If so what was his response? He may not be comfortable verbalizing his feelings.

My boyfriend tells me he loves me all the time. Especially with a kiss before he goes to work. We have a good relationship. Good communication. That’s all it takes. Communication is key. When I’m down he’ll want me to tell him what’s wrong with me. Even tho I sometimes don’t want to tell him. But just to get it off my chest. And to make me feel better. I sit next to him. And start talking with him. And at the end. Well either “lay together” watch a movie. Take dabs.

I’ve been with my s.o for 7 years and he has only told me he loves me a handful of times but to me its just words, his actions show me every day how much he loves me and our babies.

3 Likes

Actions speaks louder than words… better he showd it than says it n not mean it…

4 Likes

I would leave! If he hasn’t said it by now he’s not going too!!!

I’ve been in a relationship for a year and a half and we barely said I love you to each other a few weeks ago. His actions speak louder than words so I wasn’t worried about how he feels he shows it all the time.

3 Likes

Just work his actions r more important

I was like this the beginning of my relationship. Its just a word. The real feeling is behind his actions. Ive been with my boyfriend almost 2 years now(2 yrs in march) and we are about to welcome our daughter into the world and he hasnt said it but i know he feels it through his actions and words. Ill say it sometimes to him but i dont expect it back from him.

You can say it first. Men don’t have to do everything first.
Maybe he hasn’t said it because he doesn’t know if you feel the same way.

1 Like

But, it is weird to me to read these comments saying people together for years and years don’t or haven’t said I love you… now that is odd.

14 Likes

My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and we haven’t said “I love you” yet either. As long as his actions show that he cares about you, I wouldn’t worry. He wouldn’t still be with you if he didn’t.

Does he show it? My husband never said it first. He never says it to anyone not even the kids but he shows it in everything he does. He does say it back to us though. My dad never ever said it but we knew. On the other hand I had a boyfriend who said it all the time but his actions said otherwise.

1 Like

If you can feel it, you’re fine

What does he actions say. Sometimes people find it hard to speak especially if they have been hurt in the past but, they will show love/feelings through their actions and how they treat you.

My husband took 18 months to tell me he loved me. Now he says it multiple times a day :heart_eyes::black_heart:

We’ve been together 3 years, and it’s rare we ever say “I love you”. But he shows it in his actions. For example, when he lets me sleep in later without the kids bothering me, when he makes special dinners I like, when we stay up watching movies together, the list goes on and on. He doesn’t have to say “I love you” to show he loves you.

2 Likes

I rather hear the bills are paid hun :joy::rofl:

3 Likes

He’s just not that into you. Read the book it will open your eyes. Y

2 Likes

Actions speak loader than words??? … B.S.!!! We all want to hear those words and yes see the actions. The words are important!!!

3 Likes

Ummm because he doesn’t love you yet.

1 Like

I was in a relationship for a year n never said it cuz I never felt it. I refused to say it jus to say it.

1 Like

A year isn’t long enough. Give it at least 5.

4 Likes

If he does he will tell you

My b.f didn’t say it 1st. I approached him and asked “do you love me yet?” :joy::joy::joy: he hadn’t been in an actual relationship for 8 years, but we were already spending every day together and had been dating for 2 months :woman_shrugging: we were friends 1st too, for almost a year.

1 Like

Cause you on fb askin strangers why, not him…

9 Likes

Some people who have been hurt in the past take longer to say it but if he’s showing you, then that’s all that matters.

Way past time to move on!

Last guy that I dated for a year without saying it ended up dumping me on the grounds that he didn’t love me, in THAT way anyways…. The whole “I love you but I’m not IN love with you” kinda speech.

Now, with that said, he’d hit EVERY OTHER MARK when it comes to believing that he did, but just didn’t say it, like making sure I met his family, talked about the future ALL THE TIME, invited me on his annual family camping trip just weeks before he broke up with me. Now I’m not saying that he didn’t WANT to love me, or even that he had any bad intentions with how things happened, but if he’s not saying it you have to ask why….

1 Like

I hate to say this but if he isnt telling you he loves you its probably because he doesn’t.:woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Do you tell him “I love you “

Aometes it takes longer then a year to get to that point…

1 Like

My husband took two years to say it, but I knew he loved me by the way he treated me. We have been together almost twenty years.

3 Likes

Because he doesn’t love you.

1 Like

Something is wrong Somewhere Somehow being in a Relationship an not saying I L♡ve You to each other is something that i cannot Comprehend…
It is important to say in a Relationship at least the Man an woman wants to hear it from each other to assure each other that he or she Matters in his /her Life …
That way they wont go searching for Love in someone elses Arm
U have to ask him why doesnt he say it,
Or u try it first by telling him u L♡ve Him,
Communication is the Key …

1 Like

Probably because he doesn’t.

3 Likes

My thoughts are he is just in it for the sex. If you want to know you have to ask him, ask if he is in it for the long haul ask if he sees a future together or if it is better to end the relationship. I like it when guys don’t say an immediate “I love you” at least he is not using those three words to just get into your pants. So many guys say “I love you” issued of “I just want laid.”

Because you’re just a peice of Ass!

If he’s been burned in the past it definitely can make him hesitant. But after a year I’d definitely would sit down and talk to him about it. Maybe get couples counseling.

If he hasn’t said it in a YEAR move on….nothing to save

4 Likes

There is a Difference between someone you Love saying: I Love You and then just: Love You

1 Like

They are only words!!! His actions are how he proves that he really does.

2 Likes

If he hasn’t said it by now, he doesn’t.

2 Likes

He could be scared to say it first… I don’t mean go and say it first and see what he says that may force him to say what he doesn’t mean but talk to him. If you love him tell him and talk about your future

At least he’s not lying :rofl:

1 Like

Have you Said the words to him?.. Maybe He feels like he doesn’t need to tell you because he is showing You?

Are you intimate with him? Because that should mean more than physically. If it’s just physically, the relationship is in trouble. Seems like you should know how he feels about you after a year. Try asking him. I’m thinking it’s a expect the worst hope for the best type situation. Ask him, “how do you feel about me?” Let him answer. Go from there.

Maybe he doesn’t love you

6 Likes

My husband didn’t say it for the first 13 months while we were dating. He didn’t want to say it first and have his heart broken if I didn’t say it back.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Why hasn't my boyfriend said I love you? - Mamas Uncut

People these days throw the I LOVE YOU around way to easy. Patience and actions speak far louder than words.

8 Likes

I know it may feel unfair to you, because you are in the headspace where you’re ready for it, but everyone moves at their own pace. I dated a guy for 10 years, I almost gave up. He proposed right before I was about to throw in the towel. We were engaged for 2 years and finally got married in April. I couldn’t be happier, now. I was selfish and unfair to him griping because he wasn’t where I was when I wanted to get engaged. I am so glad I didn’t give up, I would have hated myself. You got this!!! Stick with it, he will respect you more for allowing him to get to the same place as you on his own time.

4 Likes

Why do people need say I love u . Does he show you love . Is he there for u .
Why does have be these 3 word . Be patient give him time . Or try and talk to him ask where do u think our relationship is / going .
It can be hard not hear the word but they are just words
I look for sign of love because many people use these words to easily and if been in bad relationships he might be scared to trust to quick

10 Likes

I dated my bf for seven yrs he never said it but i knew he loved me. Even the day we got engaged he didnt say it. After 2 yrs of marrige i was pregnant we were watching tv he was watching my stomach move he said does that hurt you i assured him it didnt but that it made me feel very special and excited when the baby was happy. He just watched the baby moving for awhile…and then said I LOVE YOU. We have been married 51yrs he has said alot over the years. But i never forget that first time he said it.

3 Likes

Because you’re probably thinking of you as a friend and he’s comfortable where he’s at

2 Likes

Just because someone doesn’t say it doesn’t mean anything… Have you talked to him about it? Your relationship is still fairly new. Maybe he’s not ready…

2 Likes

Actions AND words are important in a relationship. Words of affirmation are an important love language to many people, including me. Have you talked to him about how important those words are to you?

1 Like

I never heard “i love you” in my home growing up. When you don’t grow up hearing it it’s really tough to say. I know i was loved but not hearing it did make me guarded. My husband & i dated for almost 2 years before i told him i loved him :flushed::grimacing: He told me he loved me after a few months. Looking back i feel horrible BUT when i finally said it there were NO doubts. We just celebrated our 25th anniversary (together for 30)
What do his actions say? There are lots of ways a person expresses love :heart:

3 Likes

You know not everyone expresses love the same way. Some with actions, others with words. If you have been together that long and it bothers you don’t be afraid to talk to him about it. Let him know your feelings and that it makes you feel a little insecure not hearing it. Does his parents show affection and say I love you to him. My parents never said they loved me but knew they did. I had a hard time telling someone I loved them. I got married had kids and now say it all the time. Tell my husband, kids every day. So for people to say if it’s not said out loud he will leave you I don’t agree with them. That may have been thier situations. Best thing to do is be open with your boyfriend and talk to him about it. I have had boyfriends say they loved me and went off and cheated on me. So words do not always hold the truth. Showing someone is more than words sometimes. Becareful with the advice others are giving especially the negative ones. Not everyone has the same experiences in relationships. Wishing you love and happiness.

4 Likes

I cannot believe how people on here give such negative answers without knowing the person in general, i have been badly treated in the past at i am very guarded and i struggle to say i love my partner and dont say it enough but i do look after her & show her in other ways.
Some people find it hard like myself when getting hurt but it dies not mske them bad people

13 Likes

I think since he has been burned so much that when he does say it it will mean more to him and you because you do t want him saying it and not meaning it. This way you will know he does. As long as he is good to you in all other ways give him time.

11 Likes

I’m in this kind of relationship. I have been with him for 22 years. In our case it is both of us that don’t say I Love You. I was married and widowed and he just never says it. Neither one of us are the holding hands or kissing in public kind of people. He forgets my bday every year and when he’s asked when my bday is, he answers with I know it’s around Mothers Day. We also only celebrated 1 Valentine’s Day. He got me a fishing tackle bag filled with lingerie. I was all happy about the bag I never looked inside until he said to open it. The way I see it the lingerie is just going to come off and waste time in the process. He will also be the one to come and defend me when he sees something upsetting me. He will hold doors for me as well as I for him. We share the household chores and we love each other without actually saying it. They are just words that have been instilled in us to make us feel better about ourselves.

12 Likes

I have. My hubby still will only say it after me. He finds expressing his feelings very difficult but shows me in other ways. I found it really hard when I was young but eventually trusted how he felt. It’s not easy until you get to that point.

1 Like

Me and my partner been together 3 years. We dont say i love you cuz we feel the word is thrown around to easily, we have both been in bad relationship in past, instead we show love we joke around kiss each other and instead of i love you we say rawr if we are going out, like a joking type thing instead of love. It doesnt matter weather the word is used, what matters is weather your treat eaxh other with respect and show the love you feel.

1 Like

I reconnected with a friend from high school who apparently “had it bad” for me way back then but never had the nerve to ask me out because he thought of me as a "good girl "…he was a bad ass in school…we saw each other every time we possibly could for a year straight. I could tell by the way he treated me, looked at me and spoke to me but he just wouldn’t say it. Then on my birthday in 2019,he showed up with a single red rose, sat me down and said…I have been wanting to tell you this since the day we reconnected…I am madly,passionately and deeply in love with you :heart: we celebrate 3 years of nothing but soul deep love tomorrow! Be patient.

12 Likes

Its okay my now husband said it after a year he said people use that word to feely .when he is ready he will say it.my question to you is he good to you? Does he hold you when your sad?some people show it before they say it.

7 Likes

Saying I love you comes from the heart and mind when it’s real ,so if he hasn’t said it maybe he’s not there yet , ask him if he does watch his eyes ,if he looks away or down move on or waste another year

2 Likes

Probably because he doesn’t love you. You’re just his sexual outlet

7 Likes

It took my husband 3 years to tell me he loved me I waited another 3years for him to even think of marriage and another 3 before we did actually get married 9 years I stayed patient if you love him wait it out I have been with my husband 21years now and he tells every single day he loves me somethings are worth waiting for

2 Likes

My bf didn’t say i love you for almost a year when we started dating. I asked myself the same thing. But what i didn’t understand at the time was that he was showing me his love everyday. When he finally said it the first time on his own with no hints from me it meant more to me than he will ever know. We’ve been together 4 years now and not once have we argued or had a fight.

4 Likes

Is he good at communicating his feelings otherwise? I must say, I haven’t had an issue with my bf telling me he loves me (any of them). With that said, I’m also single because words didn’t hold up to their actions. Maybe he is very uncomfortable with saying I love you. Is it possible that he doesn’t feel that way at all… sure. The key is communicating with him. I assume that you love him or his inability to tell you the same wouldn’t bother you. Talk to him, then sort yourself out once you have your answer.

1 Like

Year in he should of said it by now. Have a serious discussion with him so you are both on the same page. Use your intuition and if during that conversation you think he is not being on the same page as you are than make your peace and find someone else who is on the same page. Don’t waste your time because you only have a limited amount of it. Good luck.

2 Likes

I’ve been married for 3 years, not even once I heard it too. Lol
But my husband treat me as a queen. So… :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I was with my husband for 30 years and he never said those words to me or our kids but when he died he said them

1 Like

When I met my husband he said the love word within a month. It was too soon for me and I was shocked. It took me several more months to be sure. People are just different… people take different amounts of time to feel connections. We married 6 months after we met and had a wonderful life together. He passed in April 2020 and I will forever cherish our 22 years together! Give him the time he needs. If he shows you love you can wait for the actual words! :two_hearts:

1 Like

I dated a guy who told me he loved me and then would take it back, asked my dad for my hand in marriage and took that back. Love takes time but make sure when he says it he means it.

1 Like

I have been with my boyfriend for about 15 months. He will not say it in words, but he tells me everyday with his actions. Yes, sometimes it sucks not hearing the words, but for me they are just words. He tells me everyday without using words. If he is good to you and shows you, then try not to sweat the words. Some people need to hear them, some don’t.

Action sometimes speak louder than words. Some men show with actions so I would it worry about it. One day he might just say it and it would hold more meaning than someone just saying it all the time without the action.

1 Like

Those three words aren’t important until they mean something. Enjoy time spent with him. He will show you how he feels by how he treats you and speaks to you. Pay attention to his attitude toward you and around you. Does he have your back in the midst of confrontation or drama? Does he treat you with respect? Does he voluntarily pitch in to help with projects or chores? Does he sit and listen to you when you need to vent about things going on in your life outside of the relationship? These are the kinds of things (among many others) that let you know he loves you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Been with my husband 11 yrs married for 9 and I’m still waiting to hear more than he cares about what happens to me or if I didn’t I wouldn’t still be here

1 Like

If he won’t say he loves you then he most likely does not love you. You might consider moving on

3 Likes

I don’t think you should be worried, unless you don’t feel loved by him.
I rarely ever say it myself, but I love the bones of my fella & vice versa
From the experiences I’ve had, Id prefer someone not to say it too often, to someone’s who says it to easily / regularly … found the ones who say it too easily/regularly are usually the ones that become obsessed or are the ones not to trust in the end.

Everyone has a different love language. Does he show he loves you?

2 Likes

Not all love is based on words alone. Actions say I love you. Just because it’s not said doesn’t mean it’s not shown

My boyfriend said I love you within a week of us starting to date. I on the other hand had been hurt several times and had major trust issues. We were together 10 months before I said I love you. It’s not that I thought less of him, I just needed more time to actually say it.

After we were married a few years I asked my husband why he never said he loved me anymore. His answer, “I told you I loved you when I married you. If I change my mind I’ll let you know.” Jerk​:bangbang: We’ve been together since 1965. :two_hearts:

1 Like

Was he born in a house where I love you was said? Does he show you he loves you? With actions he does. I hope this helps.

It took 1 year for my boyfriend to tell me. I guess I can appreciate that saying “ I love you” carries a lot of weight.

1 Like

A year….I’d move on. If he can’t tell you he loves you he 1. either doesn’t love you, or 2. Is emotionally unavailable.

You can do better with a little work. It says you may never get, or may not be able to depend on his commitment. It might also mean your are not the only one in his relationship life.

Because he doesn’t love you enough. If he doesn’t tell you in a few more months, ask him. Then move on.

A year is a long time to spend on a guy who can’t say “I love you”. Depending on your ages, and unless he’s still in school, 1 year is about the time to say “will you marry me”. You have to examine what is the dream for your life? For many women it includes marriage and family by 30 or so. If you’re 17 you can afford to wait. If you’re 30, find someone who won’t string you along.

It’s in his kiss. In his actions. If he treats you well. Why worry.

1 Like

He’s not ready or he simply doesn’t love you yet!

1 Like

He doesn’t love you. He loves what you do for him. Stop doing it and see what happens.

Or they tell you they love you then dump you after almost 2 years because they weren’t ready for a commitment