Will my relationship improve with bipolar medication for my partner?

My partner has recently started medication for bipolar, still waiting to get diagnosed but he’s pretty bad so the doctor started him on a 25mg dose and he’s been taking double which he was allowed to do if need be. I don’t know how much they will help once they kick him and I know he is going to have to go see a psychiatrist/psychologist and more doctors but do things get better with their moods?

He can be so great, generous, funny, he smokes too much feed and can’t function properly without it (I smoke and aren’t the best myself but I can cope without it) then he goes to being SO NASTY, so verbally abusive and he is a tall guy, he called me a mole rat, a cunt and a cow all over NOTHING, he sometimes flips over nothing and it’s exhausting. I suffer from depression, anxiety and panic attacks myself so it’s hard to cope myself and then this on top. He can become so hard to deal with or be around and when you think it’s getting better, he’s going off again…
We’ve been together two years, two kids. One from my previous partner and a son together.
Anyone have any suggestions or are we always just going to be toxic together ?

66 Likes

Hey there, I want to give you hope! When I first got married to my husband, we found out he had bipolar disorder. He would swing through the moods, and while he never became THAT nasty towards me by calling me names, he had bad down swings and hyper irritability/criticism that really depressed me. Fast forward a bit…

After a bit on Lamotrigine, he is on 200mg and we have been way happier than ever before. He still has moments and he HAS to be working or have something to do, or else he slips into depression, but that’s the management side of it. Sleep schedule is THE MOST important part of managing bipolar disorder. There’s tons of research on this, plus personal experience (:

The longer bipolar goes undiagnosed, the more brain damage it actually does which causes the mood swings to become more frequent and more severe. I HIGHLY recommend Lithium as an added drug to the other one. Lithium has the capability to protect and heal what damage has been done. I thought I wouldn’t survive this, it was very emotionally damaging to me for a bit and this was in the beginning stages.

Bipolar is also HIGHLY genetic. Low-dose lithium prevention treatments for children are incredibly effective if you start to notice precursors as they can show up as young as 15.

I survived by building a support system around me while having an amazing husband that recognized and wanted to manage it. If he is willing to go to therapy, take medication to manage, and recognize his moods so that he can control them, you will be okay! You will make it. We had some very, very dark days, but we both feel like we are finally seeing light. He is more like the person I dated. It’ll be a lifetime battle, but with a husband who is willing to try, it is totally worth it and will get better. I recommend doing as much research as yoi can on bipolar disorder. Knowledge is POWER. Good luck to you!!

I’m bipolar, went through some abuse as a child, and as soon as I noticed my depression was getting really bad for no reason I could think of, I got help. Never did I abuse my husband or even think that my disorder gave me an excuse to do so. He needs to see a psychologist and a psychiatrist to diagnose the severity and prescribe him the appropriate amount and type of medication. Regular physicians can prescribe the meds but they can’t diagnose it. When I first started on medicine, I thought I just had depression so was given anti depressants by my pcp and that made things much worse because I needed mood stabilizers, but she wasn’t trained in that field so she just gave me what I asked for. If he wants to change, he will. But using a disorder as an excuse to abuse your partner is not okay. I would separate for a while until he gets it under control so your children don’t see their mom being abused like that. I know that’s easier said than done, but if you have any options to do so, take them.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Will my relationship improve with bipolar medication for my partner? - Mamas Uncut

I would say to give the meds some time to kick in. Therapy for him and both you together would be recommended as well.

3 Likes

It absolutely can and will get better AS LONG AS he keeps up with his treatment, and actually does the work. You absolutely should have your own set of professionals to help you with your stuff, and also help you learn how to be with a bipolar person. It isn’t always easy, and in fact many times it can get nasty and way too hard. Like I said though as long as he’s doing the work it should get better. It takes a while to see it start working though so be patient. Really really think about getting yourself help too. It really will help you both if you both have professionals helping you navigate this.

5 Likes

Sounds like the weed is toxic to you both…

2 Likes

Wow I’m bipolar but its definitely not cool to call people names like that when you’re having mood swings

1 Like

No excuse for abusive behavior. Give him an ultimatum on that.

1 Like

Medications do help but it’s more important to get to the root of the issues. It sounds like he needs some intense counseling and you could benefit from some as well. This dynamic as it stands is unhealthy and toxic to the adults but especially to the children.

I had to leave my partner who had bipolar. My son was a baby and I knew he shouldn’t be around that.

Literally explained my own relationship to me.

This is exactly what my partner and I went through about 2 years in, green dependent.
His bipolar.
We were literally about to break up.
But I see the big picture here.
We managed to work though it with him and with us both working towards our mental health, we barley argue now we have 1 beautiful boy and another on the way. We have now been together for 6 years, I don’t care what anyone says, seriously if yous love eachother you’ll get through this. Trust me I’ve been in the same boat and I thought it was better to leave and now I’m so happy I stayed and worked through it because he is the love of my life, the best dad and best partner and honestly it’s treatable. Bipolar is a massive thing, couple counciling can help you avoid the massive out bursts aswell, I’ve learnt it’s better to just give my partner time to himself and he’ll come to his senses. But as for the working together part it’s been 1 whole year since our last argument.

7 Likes

You should separate. Each one of you needs a separate support system.

1 Like

Please don’t give up on him!! I have suffered with bipolar my whole life and for many years thought I was unloveable but my husband is amazing and has stuck with me through every mood swing… If you truly love him u will learn how to help him cope… Medicine can help the mood swings but I know I personally have been on 4 and just now really am starting to feel a bit better…

3 Likes

It’s offensive to use a mental disorder as an excuse for bad behavior. This isn’t about being bipolar, it’s about being a dick.

Bi polar is so difficult for both sides. Maybe you could also see a therapist just to let things out or find ways to deal with it better. Best of luck!

Bipolar disorder is a progressive disease that takes constant medication management, therapy, behavior management, and ALWAYS med compliancy. This disease isn’t for the faint of heart and YOU need therapy to handle when he cycles, so you can protect yourself and him. You can absolutely have a happy and healthy life with him but it isn’t easy and will never be cured. It gets worse as they age and meds can suddenly stop working, causing mania and a need to restart the medication learning process.
I love my husband with all of my soul but I had to separate from him for the same reasons (when manic he is verbally abusive, gaslights, aggressive, violent etc) and told him to choose his mental health with his family or his denial.
Verbal abuse is NEVER okay and once he gets properly treated he will feel like absolute shit for the horrendous things he said while manic. You’ll have to deal with the depressive cycle of it and it is so hard. But you also are not responsible for HIS treatment. Firm boundaries are extremely necessary.
I recommend reading Codependent No More, subscribing to the email list for bphope, joining Women Supporting Bipolar Spouses and following Julie Fast.
Good luck. You’ll need support and love when he cannot control himself.

Who’s giving him the meds? No one but a psychiatrist should be prescribing it. As someone who has been bipolar for 20+ years, it takes time and possibly put in a hospital to get regulated. It took almost 5 years for me to find the right meds. You might want to look into in patient therapy.

1 Like

If they r on the correct cocktail of meds for him it will get better.Its not an instant fix but it is do able. My son is ADHD N,BIPOLAR.He is great now.I never gave up on him.we started at 3 yo n he just turned 25.

I may be different but if a man ever called me a c*** that would be the last time he would have a chance to call me anything. No excuse for that. You deserve and should demand better.

2 Likes

Fuck no. Leave. You really think medication is going to change the way he respects you and what he says?! Um no.

It sounds like you are both toxic to each other. It’s not fair to your children. They are the ones who will suffer and that is sad. It’s not right!!

1 Like

My husband was suspected to be bipolar and was started on medication a few years ago. He became suicidal and stopped the meds. He tried another one and he (I later found out) had a reaction that caused increased impulsivity and hypersexual behaviors. He ended up cheating. Found out later it was (in part) due to the meds. He has since sworn off medication and refuses to get help. He feels me and the kids are better off without him and he wants a divorce. I hope it works for your husband. Just be aware of the possible side effects.

1 Like

Bipolar is mania and depression the lithium levels must be checked in order to diagnose properly. It sounds like he just has an addiction problem who turns him into a duck. Seek counseling together

3 Likes

You need to ask yourself if you want to live like this. Honestly ask yourself.

4 Likes

In all honesty, you both need to get help and be good on your own before you can be good together.

2 Likes

All depends if it’s the right meds for him … things normally get a lot worse before they get better but I will say my partner was sectioned 3 years ago he got so poorly o really couldn’t see past it at the time …. But 3 years down the line he still hasn’t got great mental health and is on high doses of meds but life is a lot better like everyone there is good and bad days …. Please don’t give up just yet … but I do understand for the partner there is very little help out there to understand and cope with what’s going on nor is there much help to understand how to help your partner I am now a mental health support worker unfortunately people think that awerness has been made about the uglier side of mental health but it’s far from the truth and weed on both parties will only heighten issues although it didn’t feel like it but I used to smoke it and it’s only since I don’t how much I realise what problems it caused for my own mental health x

1 Like

When your son sees him call you a cow and abuse you, he is learning that is how he should treat women and experiencing his own trauma that will follow him for the rest of his life. Get out.

5 Likes

When my so was having a lot of issues. He was diagnosed as being ADD and given medication which caused him to be physically abusive to me and others. Took him to counseling but it didn’t help. When he was 34 he had a meltdown and he had himself committed for help. They then diagnosed as being bi polar and having ADD. With medication and therapy it really helped and he changed. He is 41 now and you can tell when he skips his meds. HANG IN THERE. If he goes to therapy and takes his meds he will get better. In fact my son said one of the meds Wellbutrin helped him stop smoking

3 Likes

He should get better eventually but with those types of medications it’s kind of trial and error. It could take a while to get him on the right combination of medications and dosages. So try to be patient.

A difficult journey for both of you. Think of yourself and kids first

4 Likes

Leave. One word to solve it all!

2 Likes

I would hope the meds would help but it sounds like his behavior towards you is horribly bad. I’m not sure I’d want to wait around to find out. Reason is…he’s developed behavior that should not be acceptable to a significant other. Blaming it on not enough meds, too much meds, being off meds wouldn’t cut it with me. If he’s this way…and it sounds pretty bad…but why did he wait so long to get help? I

3 Likes

I have bipolar and I say hang in there till he finds the right medication and this could take a while. As much as you guys don’t like his behaviour, please remember it’s not him, he is chemically unstable and he doesn’t like being like this either. Give him the chance to get balanced and find himself again. It’s a constant struggle , everyday for him I’m talking from experience and yes his behaviour is not good but in time I have learnt to deal with my ups and downs and I believe he could too. Just hang in there, it won’t happen overnight

5 Likes

Excessive sleeping, loss of appetite, kills sex drive etc… none of this will be easy… its a game of finding the right meds ( trial/error)… this process can take a bit…

It really depends on the person and the medication. I’m glad he’s working to get the help he needs and deserves, but you also need to care for yourself. Good luck with everything. Also if you need to ask yourself the question, there’s a chance you already know the answer.

1 Like

Getting put on bipolar medicine was the BEST thing I’ve ever done for myself. Every relationship I have, including with my family, is much better!

2 Likes

Ever see the show Obsession : Deadly Desires? Medication will work for some, just don’t prolong that kind of behavior. You need to let him know clearly what you’re not gonna put up with.

🏃‍♂ :running_woman: 🏃‍♂ but help your child to have the father relationship.with a counselor present

This is your life. Accept it or leave. I’d leave. That’s abusive and not healthy for your kids

You can’t help someone until you’ve helped yourself. That’s the first step for yourself and children.

You have to really do your homework on people with bipolar. I know couples who have gotten divorced because they didn’t know how to handle the mood swings. Im no expert but one of my best friends has it. Your either manic which she LOVES. She’ll call happy and crazy and cleaning her whole house and helping neighbors. But…when she’s depressed, look out. She’ll sleep and not bath for a week. She crys and swears and screams about her husband who kicked her out after 20 years.
Get counseling together if you can. Try and be friends no matter what!! Do it for your kids…they deserve both of your love and respect :two_hearts:
Good luck :shamrock:

2 Likes

He may have to try several different medications for they find the right one for him it takes about a month before you start noticing a difference

1 Like

Noone can answer this question. There’s no way of knowing right now if the meds are going to work. With that being said, sounds to me like you are in a toxic relationship. Bipolar or not the things he has said to you is unacceptable and that will stick with you for years to come. If I were you, I would leave. Do what’s best for you and your kids!

If he is willing to get help then he needs a partner to stand by him. Unless u feel these emotions u have No Clue what he is going through. I am in the same situation right now and I thank god for my husband every day for standing by my side. Even though he doesn’t understand nor believe. I guess u need to ask urself if u love him enough for a battle in his mind?

1 Like

I have bipolar 1. I got diagnosed in 2004. Honestly it’s a never ending battle. Medications are always changing. I don’t know what to tell you but it’s not a easy road. Good luck.

1 Like

As a bipolar person sometimes medications isn’t the answer. Sometimes that person just wants to use you as a punching bag and that’s not okay. If he uses bipolar as a excuse to keep doing it after going through the medications cycles with no progress you should leave

3 Likes

Some meds will work some will not. I would do therapy together & separate. I’m bi polar one but i went thru years of therapy to get where i am & my husband has been with me since day 1 of diagnosis. It won’t be an easy road if you decide to stay. It takes time between meds & therapy to get to a good point in life. Even still i have my manic days where i can’t sleep & clean the whole house at 10pm. Then i have my days i don’t want to get out of bed i can’t mentally handle the kids, j don’t want to cook. He rolls with it never judges me & is my support system.

1 Like

My improvement from my bipolar diagnosis is attributed 25% to my meds and 75% to my weekly therapy sessions. It sounds like he just wants to use his diagnosis as an excuse to treat you poorly. As it was said on GoT, there’s no cure for being a c*nt.

1 Like

I was with someone who is bipolar for almost 8 years. He was a great guy on his good days a total jerk that was verbally abusive on his bad days. The problem was his mixing alcohol with his meds. He is a convicted felon because of going to his counseling appointment drunk he said something the counselor took as a threat for her life. He would not stop drinking that is a huge no no with psychotropic meds. Meds take time to work and it takes time to find the right meds. I am not going to say stay or leave but if you want to stay be prepared for a rough ride that will eventually have a chance at a good one. I do suggest you take care of yourself get the help you need for your depression and anxiety you can’t help him when you are not stable. I also suggest family counseling and researching any meds he is taking as well as yourself write down any side effects and watch for said effects.

That’s not bipolar that’s abusive behavior that won’t stop with meds. I have a list of mental illness that makes doctors do a double take yet im not abusive to my husband. It takes not wanting to be that way.

2 Likes

It’s ok for you to create some distance until things get better with his medication and therapy. You don’t have to tolerate abuse just because someone is I’ll. Hopefully the meds and therapy make a positive impact. You need counseling for yourself, just because of what you’ve been going through. If you need to, for your physical safety and mental health, don’t hesitate to take yourself and your children somewhere safe until you determine it’s a better situation. You can let him know it’s temporary so he won’t think you’re abandoning him. You can have someone go with you if you decide to have visits with him during the process. It’s good you’re being supportive of him, but take care of yourself too.

Help yourself first,so you can be a good mom for your children…
He needs to fix himself first,or he will always be useless

3 Likes

does he abuse other people in his life? If so then it is probably his mental illness, if not he is using it as an excuse to abuse you. If the first, get out and let him prove himself apart from you before getting back together, if the second get away and never look back–it will only escalate and you and your kids may end up dead.

1 Like

Nope. Abusers abuse.

Both need to stop smoking weed for a start. Being called those things by a partner (Bipolar or not) is toxic and you need to have more respect for yourself, by putting up with that you are basically telling him its acceptable to treat you that way. Thats abuse. I suggest you go to therapy yourself and maybe seperate for a while so you can both seek help as individuals. Children shouldnt be around that sort of thing.

1 Like

Girl that’s abuse get out it only gets worse. He’s using the BP to justify abusing you! It’s a very small step to physical abuse.

3 Likes

My husband could have written this about me. You can inbox me if you would like insight from his side. I know it’s hard to understand what goes on in a bipolar mind if you don’t have one.

9 Likes

Awe hun it’s all a day to day thing

1 Like

If he acts that way and says those things it is not going to change. So many people try to blame their mental health for everything under the sun but in reality you can control that shit. He is just an ass :unamused:

Mental illness is hard… good luck

1 Like

It may or may not. It takes a lot of trial and error. Me and my husband suffer heavy from several mental health issues. Work close with doctors, do research, and support for both of you.

1 Like

That sounds exactly how my brother is he has more of an aggressive bipolar once they find the right medication cocktail he will show improvement but it doesn’t always work the first medication they give it’s kinda a wait and see game but with your illnesses as well Ik it can be hard I have depression etc as well and bipolar it was hell with my brother I can only imagine by someone you love and want to be with but if it’s to much don’t wait it will destroy you but if you can then try and wait metal illnesses take time to help and make sure to ask dr about meds for him cuz some make more aggressive

1 Like

Leave unless you really want to dragged down with him. Its long way back up…wait until hes had councilling and see how you go before that no …

1 Like

Until he finds the right mix of meds, therapy and behavior modification, I’d at least get your kids out of the house as much as possible, and into therapy. I’m sure they are traumatized by what they have experienced. Find bipolar support groups for you and the kids and him too. Sometimes it helps just to know you are not alone.

Research ways to separate safely through a women’s center and contact a lawyer in case it gets to be too much, he’s not willing or able to put in the work or won’t take the meds. Have a safe house and look into what services would be available for you and the kids. I hope you don’t need to use it, but it pays to have a plan in advance.

Sending calm, comfort and positive chi your way.

Nah that is a excuse just because you have a mental health disorder does not give anyone the right to be abusive. Massive red flag think about your kids watching this

3 Likes

Just a question as to wether the people commenting telling the poster to run are bipolar or actually understand a bipolar mind?
Me and my partner have days like this were he is defensive and verbally abusive but he isn’t an abusive person its when he is in a different frame of mind the best thing ive found is to just distance myself from him and then he will realise what he is doing. Doesnt last weeks or months usually an evening then the next day we will talk about why what happened was wrong and how said things have upset either one of us.
Also saying if he only does it to you he is an abuser. I feel my partner is only expressing this side of himself with me through being comfortable and hopefully knowing that we will support one another through it no matter what not because he can get away with it.
I feel the advise given is very biased.

8 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Will my relationship improve with bipolar medication for my partner? - Mamas Uncut

Speaking from experience of living with someone with serious mental health issues and high weed usage… even when they’re on medication for bipolar, if they’re using weed too, it can make them have full on psychosis breakdowns and get really aggressive and volatile. So even on medication, I would be very cautious of the drug use as that behaviour quite possibly will not change for the better.

I may be mistaken, but I have seen first hand what can happen. And then if they stop taking their meds too that’s another barrel of worms. I just hope you’re safe.

My husband has been stable for 6 years on his meds, bipolar is just horrible, although there is no excuse for their behaviour, it is an illness, that if left untreated gets unbearable to live with. Once the right combination of meds is found, life should get nicer and easier, try to get him in to a regular sleeping pattern, eating well and just a generally ‘calm’ household . Good luck xx

My mum has bipolar and this sounds exactly what happens with us… but when she is taking her medication properly and all the time she’s great, when she doesn’t take it properly or at all she is an asshole and so hard to deal with! Good luck to you and your family and I hope he takes his medication and doesn’t go backwards for his and your families sake! It can be very hard on everyone! :two_hearts:

Mental health disorders are never an excuse to abuse someone… yeah sure mood swi gs may be a symptom… but people know right from wrong… my ex use to use their autism as an excuse all time…but there in only so much furniture breaking and fist through doors someone can take

You both need to be on medication. Please make sure you make a standing seasonal appointment to get your medication dialed up or dialed down. You also need to keep a file of your medications that you can fax to the doctor for sudden hospitalizations. Once his medication is stabilized, please look into getting a shot every three months. Also, you want to sign-up for family therapy. The children are impacted whether you notice this or not.

26 Likes

This sounds like BPD, not bi polar disorder.

12 Likes

It’s work
There will be up and downs but
Treating anyone bad just because you have a mental issues isn’t ok

You two would h w to do Therapy together

And work at stuff if you want it to work but meds won’t completely stop what’s happening and a lot of time people hate the meds because they make them feel yucky

10 Likes

I personally sometimes think timing is important because of stuff like this. It may be that he has to do this work alone before he can be a good partner. The question is do you want to wait for that?

11 Likes

It helped me im bipolar and even was able to adopt because im stable on my meds

3 Likes

Each case is different but my son was diagnosed in 5th grade with Bipolar. He is almost 25 now and his meds work for him. Some days are better than others. He has spent time in the hospital before if his med levels needed to be adjusted. Just know this is a life long issue. There is no cure. It’s ok for you to not understand and seek counseling.

3 Likes

My husband is also bipolar and started meds about a year ago. It was still tough at first but once his meds got regulated he calmed down. We still have issues but not as many. Make sure you don’t use the bipolar as an excuse for his behavior either, I fell into that trap and it’s not healthy. There is hope hun, it’s not easy being married to a bipolar but it’s is doable and you can be happy.

10 Likes

Get individual therapy and then get couples therapy. Being Bi polar isn’t an excuse for him to treat you that way. Don’t put up with that behavior

6 Likes

So everyone’s situation is different, but I wanted to say this. My exhusband was bipolar. I was with him for 13 years. This is what I learned. Meds don’t fix everything, although they can help. They will only help if your man is willing to do everything in his power to help himself & your family. He will need to be patient while the right medication/s are found. He will also need to do counseling sessions with a psychiatrist to monitor those meds. He will also need to start finding positive coping skills to monitor his mental health. Smoking & drinking will not work!!! It needs to be exercise or positive hobbies. Living with & being in a relationship with someone who suffers mental health issues is not for the faint of heart. It is going to be hard.! Communication will be hard. Navigating your sexual relationship will be hard. Managing how he is with the kids will be hard. It is all going to be hard because of the simple fact that you cannot count on him to be the same from day to say. He is going to naturally cycle between manic & lucid states of being. How severe this will be will depend on how hard he is working & how well his meds are working. I will say this tho, it’s NEVER okay for him to be verbally or emotionally abusive. If he’s acting this way you should absolutely set some boundaries & leave (even if for a short time) to let him know that this behavior is not acceptable to you. I wish you the best, but I know from experience that your role is going to be hard!! For you it may be worth it, and I totally understand if it is & if it ends up not being with it than that is ok too. It may also be helpful for you two to go to some couples counseling together. Being with someone with bipolar can be a lot of work. If you both work it it can be good, and if not it can be very bad. I wish you luck! Stay strong!!

11 Likes

Get out while you have the chance ! Verbal abuse can escalate to physical abuse and he’s clearly not stable right now. Children shouldn’t be seeing there mother treated like that. If he can’t be monitored with inpatient care until he is stable than I would suggest separating yourself from the situation until he’s had a chance to let his meds kick in and start therapy. Then reconsider…if it’s truly the mental illness causing this behavior he still needs to address it by getting the help he needs. If he doesn’t do that it sounds like a hopeless situation. :confused:

16 Likes

I’m bipolar and it’s only gotten worse with age!

2 Likes

I got somemore advice ok he has to want the help for this to work and he has to work on himself in therapy as well. The meds help but it doesn’t cure it. Im bipolar it sucks and yes i have my days but im in therapy and i go every month and i choose to take my meds like im suppose to and work on myself i wont let my bipolar win. I been married 8yrs the dr passed me to adopt i been stable 22 years if i can do this i know he can if he sets his mind to it. Bipolar people can have a healthy relationship. Im living proof so no need to say run as far as you can. We are not bad people. Im kind and i have a big heart and im sweet as can be.

2 Likes

Leave. That’s not to do with his mental health. It’s abuse.
No excuses. Even when he’s medicated he’s still going to be abusive to you as that’s his personality trait.
Been there before.
Leave now before he really hurts you.
Yes some people have mental health issues but they’re never abusive.
Abuse cannot be tolerated.
It will be hard to leave. But … run …

8 Likes

My husband was the same way but I decided I wanted a better life for myself and my daughter. We deserve a better life. I struggle financially cause obviously he doesn’t give me a penny but still was the best decision I ever made. You have to do what you think is best for you and your children. Not healthy for your children to see him treat you that way.

3 Likes

If hes not even diagnosed why is he on medication for bipolar?

4 Likes

I’m bipolar the medication will help the moods but it doesn’t change you as a person. Bipolar doesn’t make you treat someone like ahit and disrespect you. He’s using that as an excuse for his bad behavior

He has to put in the work to become better too… a medicine isn’t a magic cure all for mental illness. He needs therapy coupled with the medication to really get to the root of his problems and figure out better coping mechanisms because outbursts of violence in any form are abusive, mentally ill or not :woman_shrugging:t3:

I have bipolar myself and it took lots of medication but through trial and error I finally found a medication that works for me. I used to be the same way very nasty and angry just mad at the world for no reason. Finding the right medication can be a long road but it’s a total game changer. I can’t imagine being the person on the other end of untreated bipolar disorder though, that’s got to be a hard road.

1 Like

Just starting medication isn’t going to be a saving grace. I’ve got bipolar and it’s taken me 15 years to finally find the right combination and I’ve been stable for 1 year now. Before that I spent 5 times a year average in the hospital due to it. I was married to a man for 13 years and he was undiagnosed and I believe bipolar or borderline personality disorder. Either way he was abusive and very very hard to real with. I left him finally with our two kids. I’m now in a healthy relationship the last 5 years and he handles my bipolar well. Even though me going to the hospital. So if you guys cannot make things stable it’s best to take time apart to get better.

1 Like

Bipolar is no reason for him to call you names though… I have bipolar and my moods may shift wildly and I may be like ‘out of hand’ but I would never call my husband names like that… you should talk to him about what you can do when he gets triggered to help. And if he doesn’t get better, walk away. A mental illness is no reason for abuse. You’d definitely have to be more patient. Meds don’t fix you, he will still have episodes, but they will be milder and way less often. He may even be stable for years before having an episode once he finds the right dose. I hope things get better xx

It can improve with meds, but like you said, a lot of therapy is going to be needed too. But having a mental disorder does NOT excuse abuse of any sort.

21 Likes

There is a difference between having bipolar and being an ass hole it sound like he throws a temper tantrum like a spoilt child when he doesn’t get his fix

Stop smoking sativa or hybrids. It causes psychosis and makes bipolar and other illnesses worse. Switch to 1:1 Rick Simpson Oil so you have the cbd in it. Trust me on what I am saying, please. You don’t know me but I do have a lot of knowledge about this. Look it up. Lots of info on it. If you give up sativa the anger will go to a minimum to nothing. Don’t do high amounts of indica and thc. The cbd is for mental issues. Give it a week or so and you will see the difference like night and day.

11 Likes

Therapy would benefit both of you. Even before he sees a psychiatrist, you can go together or individually to a therapist (different) about how to cope with his anticipated diagnosis. They can help with how to react, how to prevent, how to assist, etc.

The bigger question you could ask yourself is even if he improves will you be able to/should you get past the way you have been treated. Educate yourself on outcomes for people continuing medication use when they have severe mental illness and find yourself a good therapist. Good luck momma. :hugs:

I have bipolar I smoke only at bedtime I also have fibromyalgia so I’d rather smoke then pop a bunch of pain pills! I have had therapy and I mellowed out after having kids I’ve been abused but never the abuser in a way where I’m violent. It’s hard to deal with someone who is manic and doesn’t have the rite skills and I struggle but it’s not where I have severe mood swings. My ex husband was bipolar and violent but he also refused to get help. Tell him point blank he does not need to be calling you names and you won’t tolerate it bc even though he has issues it’s never an excuse!! Leave if it continues! You can only tolerate so much and abuse is never ever acceptable! He needs to learn to control his issues without pot bc mentally it does not help! It can make it worse

1 thing to say about dealing with an unmedicated mental illness literally everyone in your eyes can be or is toxic get medicated and see through different eyes I have adhd (so basically every slab of mi mixed into one) it’s rough it’s harder when you don’t know what’s wrong with yourself