Will the courts give my mother what she wants?

I think you shouldn’t worry about them giving her what she wants I do think you could help your case if you gave backstory to why you two don’t want your kids around her and any judge with a good moral compass will rule in your favour

1 Like

Usually courts go with what’s best for children if parents provide strong reason and r thinking if childs safety usually court goes with parents decision. Praying for all of u​:pray::pray::pray:

In Washington state grandparents have no rights

2 Likes

Bring all the evidence of her harassment and calmly explain to the judge that you allow her to visit but only feel comfortable with it being supervised.

Even in states with grandparents rights it’s hard to actually use them.
She’d have to prove the kids are dependent on her somehow.

3 Likes

If you live in the US most states to not believe in grandparents rights. It should be thrown out. She has no claim over YOUR children. Id look up the laws on this in your state though. But in most the only way a grandparent even has rights is if neither parent is no contact of 6m to a year

Keep everything she ever says to you, ex and your ex MIL. Courts wont grant her a thing if they see all of this. She’ll continue to have supervised visits or they’ll take visits away all together but KEEP EVERYTHING

4 Likes

No she’s wasting her money by filing for court, it will be thrown out. Unless there is more involved to this story I wouldn’t worry about it.

No grandparent rights in Florida. I haven’t been able to see two of my grandchildren in years due to narcissistic moms keeping them away from my sons. They don’t have the funds to hire attorneys, yet they are still forced to pay child support even though they never get to see them.

Most states do not have grandparent rights. Check your state. If there are no grandparents rights tell her to kiss your crack and move on.

1 Like

Alabama doesn’t have grandparents rights. What state are you in?

I’m pretty sure there is no grandparent rights unless of course both parents are dead or unable to care for children then the kids go to family that will take them.

2 Likes

It depends on the state, but keep those messages she sent to your exs mom as evidence that she’s toxic

8 Likes

Probably a waste of her money and everybody’s time.

You need to get his mom to print out documentation of the things she sends her, and both you and the father need to start writing a letter to the judge as to why she is only allowed supervised visitation. Grandparents do have some rights, most states it’s only in cases where their child (one of the parents) dies, or is deemed unfit. Other times they go based on if the children have a history of having that grandparent in their life in an impactful way and it would negatively affect them to stop having a relationship with them.
You aren’t withholding them, you just don’t allow unsupervised visits, which is sounds like she has never had.
My mom is abusive and toxas asf, I cut her out of mine and my son’s life this year after I hit my breaking point and couldn’t deny that she wouldn’t ever change anymore. My mom had unsupervised access to him all the time, and i swear, if she ever tries taking to me to court :rofl: I’ll bring my therapist in who has seen some shit go down in real time, as well as being my trauma therapist regarding all the abuse my mom put me through my whole life and agrees that the best bet for my child to go through life without abuse is to not have my mother around him.
Fight for your kids, don’t be afraid to let it all out in court (in a controlled manner) of exactly what she has done to prove herself unfit to have unsupervised access.

Make sure you screen shot all those messages and get good lawyer. Make sure to ask for court costs when you go. She isn’t entitled to anything.

3 Likes

Sounds like my bfs mom. He’s from Kansas we’re in Texas. In Texas, there must b a preexisting established connection in order for grandparents to have rights. Check ur states laws. His toxic biological mom (living in Kansas) has absolutely no rights to my kids. He says it’s one of the reasons he chose Texas to move to when he left Kansas.

2 Likes

In nc grand parents have no rights. Unless kids are being abused, neglected

Most states grandparents have no rights. Judge will probably throw it out and tell y’all to work on it as adults

Grandparents do not have visitation rights in the State of Florida unless they meet the following criteria in Florida Statute Section 752.011:
a grandparent of a minor child may petition the court for visitation with the grandchild only under the following circumstances:

A grandparent of a minor child may petition the court for visitation with the grandchild only under the following circumstances:

a) Both parents are “deceased, missing, or in a persistent vegetative state.”
OR
a) One parent is “deceased, missing, or in a persistent vegetative state” AND

b) Other parent “has been convicted of a felony or an offense of violence evincing behavior that poses a substantial threat of harm of the child’s health or welfare.”

As long as you are allowing her to see them supervised she really has no case. You’re not denying her visitation. I don’t think this judge will have a problem siding with you. Check with your county to see if she even has a case to begin with some states don’t have grand parents rights. I would keep all your evidence in a box and on your phone in case. She sounds incredibly toxic and it sounds like you’re doing the right thing with how you both are handling visits. Good luck.

I believe if you give the court your full reason why you don’t want that they will take that in to consideration. Just because she filed doesn’t mean she will be awarded it. Document everything…… your agreement is between you and your husband not her .

If your ex has custody, why would she serve you? Was he served too?

Is she going for grandparent visitation rights? If so. Depending on where you it’s going to be a waste of time and money. Here in New Jersey there’s no such thing as grandparent visitation. Believe me. I’ve gone through it with my ex’s family

2 Likes

I would t worry. She’s not being kept from the children. She’s just mad she isn’t getting them when & how she wants & that’s not her place, your the parents so your rules stand. If she doesn’t stop then I would definitely keep proof of her behavior & show why you don’t think she needs to be around the children at all. Also, go after her for legal fees if it does get that far-

1 Like

If u petition against it no most states don’t offer grand parent right so it may get thrown out

3 Likes

I live in Virginia my ex-mil tried this our judge said in court to her even though it’s still on the law books it’s one of those laws that’s antiqued that Virginia has no grandparent rights. So yes every state is different my advice since I have been through this is please, please speak to an atty. Most attys will speak to you even over the phone for a free consultation I would at least ask that question to them. I called every atty through Google in Virginia in my area and did free consultation to ask questions so I would be armed with knowledge I made sure to ask different questions to each atty.

1 Like

Most likely she wont get anything but, save any and all proof of why she shouldn’t get any rights :frowning:

1 Like

Nope. Both parents are alive so she has no rights

6 Likes

Grandparents rights are a joke anyways. I wouldn’t worry about it. She has to prove an established and beneficial relationship with her grand kids.

2 Likes

Just document everything so when you go to court, you can paint the picture why you don’t think it’s in their best interest

1 Like

In most states they don’t have rights anyways. And it doesn’t sound like you are keeping her from them… Just supervise. Which I absolutely agree with.

4 Likes

Check with an attorney. I’m not sure what the laws are in your state. In Pennsylvania they have to have an established relationship with the child and a parent has to have refused attempts by them to have contact with the child. My late husband’s biological father tried that, even though he had never had contact with my kids. I would check the laws in your state. You can also keep documentation of all the texts and stuff and list of reasons why you don’t want her to have unsupervised visits.

2 Likes

Keep those messages!! That’s your golden ticket girl! That’s bullshit of her and I’m sorry you have to go through that but those are YOUR babies. And the fact that you AND their father agree about her will be a huge positive on your end! Best of luck!

You don’t have to love your mother just because she’s your mother, she’s toxic, you say she mentally and emotionally abuses you. I say completely cut contact with her. Don’t even allow the supersized visits

6 Likes

I just spent 2 years fighting my mom because she sued me for gpr.

Yes, she has a right to file and be heard. And since your marriage has split up, that’s her in.

If you can work together with your ex, you both should seek a lawyer, I credit mine with saving my kids. She really took the emotions out of it for me and helped me.

Gpr varies from state to state. All but 2 states have gpr. If you cant afford a lawyer, learn the laws in your state. Keep any and all proof you have that she’s toxic, abusive and should not be around your kids unsupervised. Remember times and dates of that proof. Start an FU binder ( folder with proof and info written down)

2 Likes

Honestly if she wad mentally abusive to you she will probably be abusive or inappropriate witch your kids if she has them alone. I cut my mom out of my life 100% and it was the best thing I ever did.

3 Likes

Grandparents rights are a joke. The court won’t give her anything.

3 Likes

You’re both, father and mother around and providing for the kid, it’s not something that they usually grant. Most states don’t unless one of you is deceased, is incarcerated or have drug abuse history.

2 Likes

There’s no reason ANYONE needs alone time with your children. This is odd and the courts will not allow her just whatever she wants

5 Likes

let her keep her shit up and take you to court where she will then find out that she can only visit them with a caseworker… print out everything she sends you and anything you have that proves her instability

Grandparents have no rights in ontario Canada don’t know how it is where you live

2 Likes

She can take it to court for “grandparents” rights and IF its given to her she will get in most states every other weekend visits… but she has to take it to court and they will decide if it’s best

Will honey i would get a good lawer tell him what is going on. Good luck i know what it is to go threw thangs like that

1 Like

You still let her see them she just doesn’t like the rules and if your ex is also agreeing to the way you want it then most likely they will just keep it the same. Sounds like she just wants to make life difficult and try and get her way like a typical narcissist. I knew someone who went through this and it got ugly because the grandparent tried to pull up everything from the mom’s past to make her look bad and the father was deceased so that’s why she was able to get some visitation.

Demand supervised visitation due to her mental state. Demand she be seen by doctors etc. Cost her money and tie her up in court. Get witnesses who have seen her in action. This isn’t about you, it’s fighting for your kids.

9 Likes

No. She had no rights over them.

1 Like

Most states don’t even have grand parents rights. I would google your state and grandparents rights and see if it’s allowed there, if it isn’t I wouldn’t worry much

3 Likes

Honestly there’s such things as gpr but that being said bring your evidence to court about her actions and the evidence that your ex is providing her with supervised visits and the court will more then likely side with you and your ex.

1 Like

It depends on the state if she even can file for grandparents rights. However, you both have firmly agreed upon supervised only. It’s unlikely the court would go against a unified co parenting decision. In the end, the parents are the ultimate authority for their children, when grandma likes it or not.

Record EVERYTHING. All messages, voice recordings and phone calls. You’ll need them.

1 Like

Keep the messages and all of you guys side together. The court will see you ALL have your reasons for keeping the kids in arms reach. It’s not like she doesn’t see them at all. Your concerned for there safety

Grandparent rights are for Grandparents that haven’t seen there grandkids in over a month or 2 I believe! She isn’t entitled to ALONE time! This won’t stand in court

2 Likes

It is highly unlikely that the court will go against the wishes of both parents. She is allowed to see the kids. Just not on her terms

3 Likes

My sons grandma demanded grandparent rights- literally the cases were thrown away every single time.

1 Like

Grandparents don’t legally have rights of visitation, especially someone like that. Document EVERYTHING! All the crazy messages and especially anything threatening!

3 Likes

Depends on what state you’re in, and if grandparents have rights

2 Likes

Please seek an attorneys advice for the correct information. My youngest son is going thru this very same issue with his 3 children. There is the legal papers, then mediation (more than once if needed) then possible court. PLEASE get legal an correct information so you know the right thing to do.

3 Likes

Keep all the messages, video the phone calls, basically keep all proof of her being toxic.

You have every right to not want your children alone with her. Her mental & emotional abuse towards you, her acting the way she is when she doesn’t get her way, proves she hasn’t changed and doesn’t need to be alone with the children.

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter what the kids dad and you agreed on , if the court gives her visitation then that’s what she gets.

2 Likes

My state doesn’t have grandparent rights idk where you are but I’d be sure to know your state law on that.
Explain all this to an attorney and go to court.
I feel for you about the narcissistic mentalities from fam, I deal with too. Ready your kids to handle certain interactions. But I have to say, just bc someone’s family doesn’t give them the right toxify you and your kids. Healthy boundaries need set.

1 Like

Don’t want to scare you. Don’t ever let your guard down with her. There was this grandma, wouldn’t even call her that but the parents drop there 2 sons. Came home and the grandma ended up stabbing the baby boy and the other older son got away. What I mean don’t put nothing past her especially. If she sending the other grandma messages. Cause she jealousy. Good luck

1 Like

The only time grandparents have special rights (in certain states) is if they were the primary caregiver at some point. You’re safe. It will be stressful though reliving some of your old pain. Make sure you have someone to talk to throughout the process.

6 Likes

Why do people think they have the right to someone else’s kids anyway I’ve seen this posted a lot in a few different groups smh I’m a grandma to two beautiful babies and I always ask before going to my daughter’s house I never just show up that’s rude and I know I’m no way entitled to anything when it comes to my daughter’s children and I’m super grateful for the time I get to spend with them I adore my grandbabies

Keep record of the nasty messages. That will show a judge her mental state.

1 Like

I live in Canada, we have grandparent rights, but hardly given unless a parent or both are unfit or dead. Grandparents rights are not legal rights to your children, their rights to visit their grandchildren and share holidays mostly.

1 Like

My mother and i had a falling out a while back, and she was at the time living in a very unstable place infested in bugs and surrounded by drunks, so i told her my children could not go to her house but if she wanted to see them she was able to visit them at my home. She wasnt happy with that cause much like your mother she did not want to be supervised. So she had a tantrum and called children’s aid and said she wanted grandparents rights and was going to be taking me to court. Well when the children’s aid worker she spoke to reached out to me they asked if my intention was to keep the children away from my mother and i explained no, i just didnt want thwm attending her home for those reasons but i had offered her visits at my home or in public places just not at her home. The worker said okay then your mother has no grounds to fight on because you are not withholding the children you are simply watching out for their safety while still offering options. And that was the end of that, they told her she had no chance of winning.

3 Likes

Why do you not have your children???

2 Likes

I wouldn’t stress out too much over it. The judge will hear the request for the visitation because you and their father are no longer together. As a parent, you are offering her supervised visits, (which is more than most would do) so you aren’t keeping the child from them. If you are restricting visitation, they will ask why- be honest about the reasoning and they’ll dig into her mental wellness. I can’t see where the courts would force you to leave your children with a non-parent where you fear for their safety and wellness. Plus it costs a lot of money to drag something like that through court. Just keep everything documented and if she actually tries you’ll have the evidence to back up your concerns with her being alone with the children.

3 Likes

I don’t know what state you’re in but in Texas, court’s don’t believe in “Grandparent Rights”. My ex’s parents tried that and it was dismissed before even going to trial.

2 Likes

There is no state that has grandparents laws they don’t exist you do not have to allow anyone to see your children unless it’s court ordered and is the other parent !

Sounds like mine. Cut her out. You won’t regret it

Let her take you to court. You aren’t denying her visits with the kids, just NOT alone. You don’t have to leave your kids with her. Document all the msgs and take it to court.

2 Likes

Check your grandparent laws, if there are none, she has no case. Check your laws on recording, record everything. Remember that grandparent laws only hold if there are signs you or the dad is unfit, otherwise you as the parent decides.

Unless your mother abuses your kids in any way she should also be able to see her grandchildren. If you have a problem with your mother that doesn’t mean your children shouldn’t be able to enjoy their grandparents.

8 Likes

Yeah…my stepson’s’s maternal grandmother got visitation, it was the worst year and a half of my life. They gave it to her after multiple false cps allegations, her taking him to an urgent care and coaching him to say I hurt him, didn’t feed him, locked him in rooms, all kinds of crazy stuff. But her daughter had lost parental rights so she kind of took over that visitation. Mom got clean and the court gave her some rights back and ended the grandparent rights. I believe in most states, grandparent rights only exist if a parent is completely absent. But there’s always exceptions made in family court. The y make no sense.

1 Like

Find out what to do by a lawyer. Go to your local legal aid office, call your local domestic violence shelter as your mom has been abusive and you are afraid of how she will treat them. Good luck!!

1 Like

In our state grandparents have rights but it’s only if the child or children have been cared for by grandparents and taking the child away would be detrimental to their wellbeing. Example: when my daughter had my grandson she was still under our care. Some time after my grandson was born our daughter got into a dangerous relationship. I took custody of our grandson to keep him safe until she could get herself out of that relationship. Now she has him back and is for the most part doing well but because we raised him for a good amount of time we still have rights to see him (she wouldn’t take our rights away anyways) and when she gets in situations that are difficult she has us come get the kids because she trusts us. Get a lawyer if you can sounds like mom is toxic and needs limited grandparent time . good luck.

Unless you can 100% prove your allegations she may be granted visitations unsupervised

1 Like

As far as I know, grandparents don’t have visitation rights.

1 Like

Show the nasty emails show proof of what you have against her

2 Likes

No longer have grandparents rights at least in Saint Louis Missouri they don’t

2 Likes

Call a local attorney!!!

Lol…no the courts will not give your mom rights to your children.

2 Likes

She may get nothing at all. Keep her texts. And all proof you need to prove it’s not in the child’s best interest to be unsupervised.

1 Like

In our state, grandparents have no rights. If you are not comfortable with her being alone with them, you don’t have too.

What state? Did she serve you or did she have someone else serve you? If I recall, the plaintiff can not serve the defendant. You need a 3rd party to serve.

Also, consider moving to a new state. One that doesn’t have gp rights.

If she wasn’t obviously showing toxic signs already I’d say trust you raise your kids well enough to leave them unsupervised. Only bc my parents sucked. But they are superstar grandparents!

2 Likes

Grandparents are just that. Dont get me wrong. They are incredible and we are blessed to have them. But grandparents do not get rights to your children just because you birthed them. Fight it if you feel it necessary.

2 Likes

Oh wait. The kids live with their dad? But she is serving you?? It’s a manipulation tactic. You, ex hubby and ex hubbys mom need to get a restraining order against this pos.

1 Like

You share custody with the other parent and you BOTH agree this person shouldn’t have access to YOUR children. It’s doubtful a judge would rule in her favor unless she can prove you’re both unfit.

2 Likes

Whoa whoa whoa. What state are u in? Cuz grandparents rights don’t exist in most states

3 Likes

Document Document and more documents.

Document EVERYTHING and save every nasty text message. She has no right to your children. If supervised is what has always been done, the court will probably uphold that if they don’t throw it out all together.

In Illinois grandparents don’t have rights.

In Illinois, grandparent rights are virtually nonexistent.

These posts infuriate me. I don’t understand why toxic, abusive grandparents think they are entitled to their grandkids. No one is entitled to a child’s life except the mother and father of that child.

Fight it, a judge will never allow that especially since she’s already being allowed to see her grand kids at your ex’s home.

Grandparents like to think they have rights. Unless you’re deceased, my bet is that she gets nothing.

In every state that i’m aware of, grandparents have no rights. The only rights they have are what the children’s parents willfully allow them to have. Unless the laws have changed drastically, she is wasting her time as well as money.

1 Like

As long as she has never had any set overnight schedule they won’t grant it to her. Most judges do not like to change or take away things from children. If they already had every other weekend at grammas or something like that a judge will grant it to stay the same BUT if she’s never had this before then they won’t just randomly allow it now. I would make it crystal clear to a judge that it’s never happened in the past and not happenings now!

1 Like