Will the courts give my mother what she wants?

People really need to do research. Grandparents rights are a thing in all states. However, if she’s being offered visits and isn’t taking them because she doesn’t agree with the rules, she most likely won’t get them unless she gets a really sympathetic judge.

4 Likes

Absolutely not. In New Mexico, there are no actual “grandparents rights” to any child. There are however some cases like if the child is under 6yrs and has spent more than 3 months full time care with said grandparents, then was taken away from grandparents without proper reason, that they can then fight for that time back. But other then that there are no laws that just automatically give a grandparents rights to a child in NM.

If you deem her unfit along with your ex, the courts will take that into consideration. Also, keep those messages. They will be helpful.

2 Likes

Save and print all text messages, voicemails EVERYTHING. Go to court and show all those documents on why you are uncomfortable with her being alone with your kids. It will most likely get thrown out.

4 Likes

lol no. mpst parents have strict rules for grandparent rights

Court won’t grant her shit she has no rights whatsoever so I wouldn’t even worry about it

Indiana they tech have no rights but I know someone that they gave grandparents right to in November. The judge makes the ultimate decision which really sucks. State ur case and cross ur fingers momma. If u have text or anything of her talking to you badly or the kids fathers mom. Use it.

1 Like

No, not her children

Document everything and take the nasty messages to court and request to have her evaluated by a psychiatrist

1 Like

Talk to an Attorney. Most attorneys will do free consultations. My state does not have Grandparents rights. My ex in law’s tried it. Good luck hun!

Not as long as you tell the court exactly what you’ve written here!

1 Like

Oregon got rid of the grandparent clause.

Show them texts to ex’s mom

1 Like

Write your concerns with details and dates if possible including the rage you are witnessing
None unless supervised by trustable person or court supervisor she pays for. Unless mom is on proper meds fight mom’s visits. I’m feel for you. It’s your mom and it hurts

2 Likes

Document everything. Write your concerns. Honestly she will be wasting her time and money. My MIL threatened this last year I called a lawyer the lawyer told me anybody can file a suit doesn’t mean the judge will grant them.

2 Likes

Washington state has new grandparents rights laws, buy it has to be like say mom has custody, it’s dad’s mom wanting visits and dad doesn’t object, but mom won’t let grandma see them, and grandma previously had a relationship with the kids. If both parents object, grandma gets nothing.

1 Like

Most states don’t have grandparents rights.

I don’t think the courts will side with her

Depends on the judge. Usually the answer is no but my brother in law dealt with something similar and the grandmother got overnight visits and more access to the kids. Despite her son saying no and the mother saying no.

1 Like

In my state grandmothers don’t have any rights. Check it out. May be the same in your state.

So because I’m enrolled in a federally recognized tribe and because we have tradition of multiple generations living together, grandparents CAN fight for visitation. It’s called the grandparent law I believe.

A lot of states only allow grandparent rights when said grandparents child (parent of child) is deceased & even then it’s tough

Google grandparents rights in your state.
She has to prove a whole lot to win…
Let her spend her money.
:two_hearts:

I’m in New Zealand and they would laugh at her for trying here keep record of everything I’m sure your ex and your exs mother would also be able to provide enough evidence aswell

With your ex on your side I don’t see the judge giving her what she wants. I’d fight it and show the nasty messages she sent to your former mil

In MD there is no such thing as grandparents rights unless you are a horrible ass mom or you passed away. So I would check into your states law about it. Should be able to just Google it.

If you have proof of a traumatic childhood (therapy etc.), both of y’all agree on her not having alone time, she’s sending nasty messages, and you fear for your kids safety. I doubt if you show all that to a judge she would get anything. Honestly more than likely a judge or a lawyer would tell her to accept what she’s getting since you technically have a right to cut her off completely. If she continues to message your MIL you can also threaten a harassment charge and I’m sure she’ll back off…

Their father has more family support than I do. I have a 4-2 schedule vs he has a M-F schedule. It just makes more sense for him primarily to have them. It’s what works for us. Everyone is different. Not sure why you felt the need to make this comment.