Would I be in the wrong if I rehomed my husbands dog?

Don’t be a heartless person if you love him and know that he loves the dog you should compromise because that’s what you do when your in a relationship. The guy is seeing his country and he should be able to depend on you!!

2 Likes

Hes going to serve his country and you can’t keep the dog for him? It just seems selfish.

5 Likes

It’s not the dog’s fault you’re a shitty human

1 Like

Why is sje being vilified. Her husband just showed a total lack of respect. She is pregnsnt. She slready has a small child. I vannkt imagine the stress then toss in a dog. Dogs are work and a commitment one she never agreed to.

24 Likes

Idk what to say.
I brought home animals every time I found one on the side of the road. My ex husband was not a fan, but he dealt with it because he knew it meant so much to me. Dogs really aren’t that much to take care of… if I came home and found out a pet had been rehomed or given away, all hell would break loose.

1 Like

I don’t normally comment on here but some of you people are just absolute jerks. THIS IS NOT ABOUT ANIMAL ABUSE!!! The woman has her hands full and doesn’t need ANOTHER being to deal with while she is ALONE for who knows how long on his deployment. She doesn’t have to like dogs! She loves her husband and her kids and is needing a boundary set that the husband is trying to erase. He is being selfish on what he is demanding her take care of IN HIS ABSENCE. But instead of helping her, talking about the actual issue….you jerks put the value of an animal above that of a human. A non abusive human. You criticize and belittle someone you don’t know and you probably won’t even read this or will argue against my words. But I am so sick of the high a mighty crap that everyone dishes out and doesn’t give a hoot about the actual person talking and needing actual advice.

10 Likes

He can expect whatever he wants. But tell him that under no circumstances are you taking care of the dog and if he leaves the dog there, you will rehome him. If he wants the dog, it’s his job to find someone to care for HIS dog while he was away. He didn’t consult you when he made the choice to bring this dog home, therefore it’s care and responsibility are his and his alone. He should have considered that before bringing the dog home without consulting you. I would not rehome the dog unless after telling him upfront that is what you are going to do if he does not find someone to care for the dog.

1 Like

When I was 8 months pregnant my husband brought home a dog. At that point in time I didn’t want a dog. I didn’t want to train it and worry about a new born and my 2 other kids. but I let him keep it and she’s the best dog I could ever ask for. Give the dog a chance before rehoming it.

2 Likes

Re-home the dog. You don’t need the added stress!!

When he gets back I think you will have more issues than the poor dog.

if it were me I would rehome the dog since he basically went against your wishes and got the dog. you have a small child and one on the way and no time for caring for the dog. if possible try to place with a friend or family member so maybe he can visit it. but yeah that dog would be gone the day he deploys if it were me.

2 Likes

I love animals I have 4 kids 13,12,6,an 4 1/2 yo a 2 month old puppy a cat an a 5 week old kitten I saved out the rd less than a week ago I wouldn’t rehome it BUT I know having a 2 yr old and fixing to give birth means
1 all time spent on the dog DIRECTLY takes away from both babies 2 the stress added from the dog adds to the stress of trying to care for a new born and toddler
3 everyone saying just put up with it what if there’s more than we know what if she already knows she is pron to depression or postpartum after birth and fears the added stress may be more than she can take a lot of women don’t tell
I would care for it BUT if I knew it was going to cause Bad effects on either or both babies I’d try to FIND SOMEONE TO CARE FOR IT TILL HE’s HOME
4 people who love animals can’t understand how people who don’t feel much like people who want a child can’t imagine why a man would get angry or leave when a woman purposefully gets pregnant against his wishes

I’m just going to say it, your husband needs to rehome you. Marriage isn’t just about you or what you want. What about how your husband feels? Or do his feelings not matter to you? Maybe he can find a friend to watch his dog because the dog deserves better.

24 Likes

Tell ur husband thanks for his service him and his dog are more then welcome in my bed and house when he returns he will be smart it he Divorces you are selfish not to mention I guarantee your kid likes the dog but just because you don’t like it it needs to go I’m not the only one that thinks your husband needs to get rid of you

3 Likes

Wow your insensitive and being a jerk. Way to NOT support your husband who fights for our country.

4 Likes

rehome it. I have 2 dogs, only 1 kid AND a husband that comes home to me everyday - and its hard! I love my girls, but they are a pain in the ass. I’ll NEVER get rid of them, they were a joint decision between us AND we had them before having a baby. Plus they are older now and it wouldnt be fair to them. I say all this to say that kids AND animals are hard. I cant imagine doing it alone and with an animal that I didnt want in the first place. Dogs require vet visits, cleaning their shit, puke, pee, chew things they arent supposed to, bark, knock shit over. They are like have another child that never grows up. Rehome it to a house that has the time and dedication to devote to it. Dont let ppl guilt you for a stupid decision that your husband made.

1 Like

If you feel that strongly about it maybe find a friend or someone to care for the dog while your husband is away?

You put your life on the line to have his babies but that didn’t make him think twice about getting a dog you didn’t want while he was already about to leave you to care for his 2 children. I mean I love animals, I’d keep the dog if he was potty trained. But you HAVE every right to talk to him about the fact your rehoming the puppy, just don’t lie to him. Y’all makes for the most entitled men🙄

3 Likes

There should have been a discussion before bringing the dog in the home, you did not agree to take on that responsibility, especially with husband leaving, either he can find someone to care for the dog while he is away or you need to rehome it.

5 Likes

This image may help those that don’t fully understand

5 Likes

Definitely don’t do it behind his back. If you don’t want to care for the dog, see if someone will take him while he’s away

2 Likes

Obviously the poor dog deserves a home and family that would love him. I think u should rehome him bc keeping an animal that u dont want,the animal won’t get the love it deserves.

What if OP has a humiliation fetish and we’re all assisting?

2 Likes

I understand both sides… And also willing to take dog if you are truly trying to rehome!

1 Like

Can you not speak to the husband about employing a dog walker
I appreciate your hands will be full but many dogs need homes and this poor dog will be carted around again and again
He may be thinking of it from a protection point of view
I totally get why you don’t want it, I don’t think it was fair he sprang it on you but its also not the dogs fault
See if he can find a dog boarder or walker local to help with the extra slack?

1 Like

Tell him you won’t be able to care for the dog and you don’t want to and that he needs to find a pet sitter for the deployment. It’s worked for us. Similar situation but for his cat. I’ve never liked cats and this cat is needy AF.

1 Like

Check “dogs on deployment” a lot of times other people will watch dogs for deployed members.
My husband served for 10 years so I get how difficult it’ll get especially if you didn’t want a dog
I would not rehome the dog while he’s gone though. That’s just mean

1 Like

I can see why you’re frustrated. Is there a way for someone to help a few days a week with the dog?

1 Like

Levy, keep your mouth shut…keep scrolling… omg…

2 Likes

I would tell him you’re rehoming the dog. As a mother of 2 kids around the same age, he can’t expect you to take care of a dog, he didn’t even ask you first. And it’s not like he’ll be home to help you! Wow! I’d tell him what to expect when he leaves. Thats for sure! You’re NOT in the wrong!

7 Likes

Okay honest and quick real talk …

You’re a cunt if you do this .
And I’d be livid if I came home and my dog was gone like wtf lady?!

I dont trust people who dislike dogs

7 Likes

Dont rehome it without his knowledge :upside_down_face:
I would ask him to have the dog cared for by a family member or friend while hes gone though. So irresponsible of him to even get a dog if hes not going to be around for it… but knowing how you felt its just disrespectful as well…

Doing this behind his back is no way right about it. His dog could be your home protector while he gone.

1 Like

Talk to your husband before he deploys! Maybe a friend can care for the dog while he is away….rehoming him without him knowing is simply cold!

You should get boarding for the dog so when he comes back you can get the dog. I wouldn’t want to care for an animal I don’t want especially when I have small children that need my full attention. Getting rid of the dog is pretty messed up but so is leaving the responsibilities of said dog to you.

You need to speak to your husband before you do anything.

All I can say is if my spouse or significant other just rehomed my pet, there would be a divorce in the works!!!

You say he’s deploying and risking his life for his country. I think it’s cold hearted to just want to get rid of his pet that he loves and cares about.

I read the part where he didn’t ask you and knows your dislike of dogs. Maybe he thought you would eventually love the dog as he does. Also maybe he wanted his kids to grow up with a dog.

If it were me I would take care of the dog and not make a bigger issue than it needs to be.

6 Likes

If you aren’t going to take care of it, rehome it. I work for a rescue and we get so many people that surrender their animals in terrible shape bc of reasons like this. Otherwise, your husband serves for this country…let him have a friggen dog. Maybe he needs that dog. Oh….and I have 6 animals…2 dogs and 4 cats WITH a 3 yr old and a 3 month old. Kids aren’t an excuse to get rid of animals. Just saying.

13 Likes

I get where you’re coming from but I also think it would be messed up it’s a tough call cuz honestly I’d want to do it too but I’d feel bad/guilty.

So I love all animals…however i know how hard kids can be as well. Is this dog kennel and potty trained? Just because we like dogs, cats, etc does not mean everyone does or has to. Least she is being honest about not wanting to clean up after someone else’s pet she was against in the 1st place. Gosh, give her a break…

6 Likes

I asked my husband says "don’t do it. " and he hope u don’t. He will be pissed when he finds out once getting home and it’s going to cause issue’s. It’s a “f**k*d up way to do it”. Talk to him. But this isn’t the right way to do it.

I think he needs to rehome you smfh. He’s about to go serve the country and you can’t watch the family dog?

9 Likes

Ugh some of the replies on here :flushed: I wonder if they’d be the same if he’d brought home a different unwanted animal, say a snake or a tarantula?!

6 Likes

I have 3 dogs that my husband didn’t want at first now there best friends. It’s not the dogs fault. Ur husband is going to probably need him for support when he gets back

4 Likes

My fiance got a bearded dragon that i didn’t want and we still have it cuz i take care of him. It would be wrong to get rid of the dog it don’t take that long to let a dog out to go potty and then let it back in not hard i had a dog and i have 5 kids it wasn’t hard. I have 2 cats, teddy bear hamster and a bearded dragon not hard.

2 Likes

No, tell your husband to find it a home while he is deployed. You’re about to have an infant. I don’t care what anyone says, you will have to take care of yourself and your 2yr old. While he is out there, he didn’t ask you about it. Didn’t take that big fact into consideration. He needs to find it a temporary foster home.

15 Likes

I suggest finding someone to watch the dog while he is deployed but give the dog back when he comes back. It is unfortunate that he didn’t respect you when he got the dog but giving away his dog while he is deployed isn’t right either.

2 Likes

Marriage is a give and take kind of deal. Maybe he got the dog of a way to deal with any PTSD he may occur being in the army… dogs are good for things like that… I know personally if I felt I needed/wanted the support of a dog and someone tried to stop me I’d be hurt. I suggest hiring someone to do the walking part of the day but it isn’t hard to give the dog some food and let him outside a couple times a day to use the bathroom. Feed the dog when you feed everyone else.

3 Likes

Yikes.
Ok, so while I don’t agree that he got a dog behind your back. No, I don’t think you should re-home the dog behind his back. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Talk to your significant other about rehoming and/or having someone care for the dog while he’s deployed. Also, I would feel safer while my husband is deployed having a “watch dog”. Pick your battles. I think this is one you should stand down on.

4 Likes

Wow you are going to rehome his dog while he is deployed….

5 Likes

You keep his dog he away proction our country that the least you can do

5 Likes

I’m going to go out on a limb and say he knew this about you when you guys got married, yet he still married you. He also knew all of this and that he was going to be deployed and still bought the dog so really it’s on him. People are who they are and he can’t expect you to just suddenly have a change of heart because he went against your wishes and did it anyway.
You’ve been transparent about your feelings up to this point. Be honest with your husband that you plan on doing this so he can make other arrangements or find another home for the dog. Don’t go behind his back.

Not everyone is a dog lover and no dog should have to endure a home that doesn’t want them.

5 Likes

I’m sorry but you gotta go!

12 Likes

Yes it would be wrong of you. In my home, pets are family. I would honest to Bob divorce my husband if he did that. If you aren’t going to take care of the dog, you need to talk to him before he leaves and let him figure out what to do.

3 Likes

It’s just a dog, u only looking after 2 kids calm down ain’t that hard

13 Likes

Remove the dog…You have a baby and a 2 year old. You don’t need the stress or the mess…
Blows my mind how you were very clear you did NOT want a pet and he got one anyway knowing he won’t even be around to care for the dog…
Sounds like he’s causing you frustration out of spite.

7 Likes

This is tough. Sad for the dog and husband. If the dog isn’t gonna get the love and care it needs then it needs to be in a home where it will at least until your husband comes home. This is a communication issue. I think you should probably lay
Ask your husband why the dog is essential to him to understand how he feels and consider his feelings and then weigh them out or come up with a resolution. Kids and animals bond as well. You stayed the dog is a good dog so maybe being that he chose a good dog it is something you can get past? If not maybe a close friend or family member can home it until your husband returns to his best friend.

1 Like

Have a person come walk the dog possibly 2x a day

It’s a dog… feed it, walk it, love it… that’s all they need

8 Likes

I don’t understand you feeling the way you do but I’m not in your shoes. It sounds to me like the dog would be better off living with someone who will love him and care for him. My concern is for the welfare of this innocent animal. If you can’t learn to love it….do it a favor and find him a good loving home.

2 Likes

Yes, it would be wrong. He is out serving our country. Do him a favor and care for the dog.

5 Likes

The husband did bring the dog home to a pregnant wife that already has a toddler expecting her to take care of it while hes gone with a newborn and a toddler. I once had a toddler a newborn and a deployed husband in Iraq and there is no way I could have also handled a dog at that time. She shouldn’t get rid of him without telling him, but I don’t think he should expect her to handle the dog while hes gone. He could make other arrangements for the dog while hes gone.

1 Like

So for all the ones pissed over this…what if you hated snakes and your husband was leaving and made you clean up after a boa? Feed it mice and ya don’t like them either! Would you do it? If not why? Your husband loves it…remember you have to take this snake out too and clean the cage…

6 Likes

Here comes petty Betty.
I’d wait till he gets home from deployment, go pick up one or two cats and bring home (without discussing it). Then wait and little and go visit family for the weekend leaving him with said cats to take care of. :woman_shrugging:t2:
Bet he’ll give you a little respect next time and discuss things with you that should be discussed between two partners.

Have your husband rehome his dog until he returns home.

Why would he get a dog he knows you don’t want when he is leaving? You have 2 little kids to take care of and told him no. I would rehome.

I was always told if you don’t have nothing nice to say than don’t say nothing at all .but a bit of advice it’s his house too and he is going to serve our country so after you stab him in the back make sure you wash the knife and don’t expect to be forgiven …

5 Likes

To all the pick me’s no 2 situations are exactly the same and what you can mentally carry may not be for anyone else…

I dont blame you at all for the way your feeling. Not everyone wants a pet, be it a dog or cat or hampster or reptile. Same as not everyone wants kids etc. Its something that should be discussed between the 2 of you. Ita not fair of him to not consider how your going to be dealing with 2 kids alone already while he’s away for a long period of time. Dogs are alot of work! If he’s not going to be there to spend time with the dog to take care of it then there was no reason to get it and put that responsibility on you.

5 Likes

I hope to GOD this a joke.

You would be re-homing him from an angry and vindictive place and that could cause problems between you two. Be the example you want. Talk to him. Discuss how you feel and ask him to try to meet you half way about what to do with the dog while he is gone. There are doggy day camps and training classes etc that could help and possibly even help build a bond between you and the dog. Try to meet in the middle. He is your husband and from what I can tell yall both need each others support.

1 Like

Umm… yea that’s wrong. How would you feel if you were in his shoes? Does he know you feel that way towards the dog? If he’s a good dog why would you want to give him away?

2 Likes

Yes it be wrong. What if the dog helps him get through what he has to go through with being deployed and all that jazz. Suck it up it’s not all about you .

2 Likes

You’re a horrible person

2 Likes

I wouldn’t just do this behind his back. I would make it quite clear and have the whole upfront discussion BEFORE he deploys and tell him it’s his responsibility to find someone else who’s willing to care for the dog while he’s gone.
I know you’re probably going to get some haters on this post from animal lovers but honestly I think it’s much better for an animal to be under the care of someone who loves it and wants to spend time with it. :heart:

1 Like

if my husband rehome my dog I would straight up leave him that is unacceptable. That dog is prob his baby

6 Likes

You literally act like you have to break your back to put some food in a bowl and let it outside to shit. You are making a problem out of nothing.

Wow and the dumb bitch award goes to you! He puts his life on the line everyday to fight for our country and to support your family and you can’t take care of his dog :thinking:

And I hope he divorces you regardless of whether you rehome his dog or not. You’re selfish.

6 Likes

He clearly doesn’t respect you. Especially if he brought a random dog home without even consulting you. Why should you have to care for HIS dog while having other responsibilities and while being pregnant and possibly having a newborn while he’s gone? Try seeing if he’ll let the dog stay with a family member while he’s deployed.

3 Likes

For everyone jumping her consider this point of view:
Imagine an animal you really don’t like (tarantula, snake, cat - I hate cats :laughing:) and now imagine your husband brought one home when he knows you don’t like them and planned to leave for months/years for you to take care of it while also a new baby and a toddler…
Yeah I’d be hella pissed too.

21 Likes

Where are his friends? His family?? Unless you’re the only one who’s close to him I don’t see why it needs to be you who cares for the dog. Anyone in the family could. I would say rehoming is petty and callous. I’m shocked you went straight to that instead of asking him why he didn’t speak to friends/family about taking care of his dog. Because that’s exactly what this is. HIS dog. If you have no intentions of taking care of this dog it is what it is. That’s no one’s fault. It’s his fault for not planning out how the dog would be taken care of while on deployment and assuming his wife who dislikes dogs would take care of the dog. In short. ESH (Everyone sucks here)

Edit ; I’m seeing people who for some reason think that marriage constitutes you taking on other’s problems. It does not. The dog is his responsibility and his alone. Whether they’re married or boyfriend and girlfriend. I don’t understand why people think marriage changes this. Some of you don’t understand the concept of your problems being your problems, and your responsibilities being your own responsibility. Would you let your spouse adopt a child that you did not want to care for? Probably not. So why is a dog any different? If you take on the responsibility for a pet you cannot always take care of, it is on you when there’s no one else to look after your pet. Others do not have to sacrifice their comfort or happiness for you. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

6 Likes

Yep. Give it to someone who will love and care for it. You certainly don’t care too.

3 Likes

Maybe discuss this dog to him nicely, and see how he will re act. And take it from there. Wait for his decision, there two things to consider, husband is thinking he wont be home soon dog is to keep you and your kids safe, he had this dog to protect the his family. As you, dont want dog to start with its hard to be in that situation, with little one. Its quite a handful, hardwork. Need to be carefull too with animals they do have some worms that can be transmitted to us without noticing it. A load of work to it.

A better talk hubby is the key, he love you his family. Ans dog too are part of his tribe. A diplomatic dicussion or talk is your key.

A dog is nice to have while he is deployed. Personal experiences

:joy::joy::rage::rage: wow some of these comments SMH. It is so irresponsible to get an animal knowing full well your wife doesn’t want it, has expressed she won’t take care of it, and has a new baby on the way. Absolutely get rid of the dog and don’t let these people convince you somehow that you should feel bad. You didn’t get that dog!! Your husband won’t be caring for it. If he can’t find anyone to care for it then rehome asap and f%ck these people commenting acting like you are the bad guy because you don’t want to walk, feed, clean up sh!t, and care for an animal you didn’t ask for or want! Your husband is an a$$hole

My ex dumped a 6 mo old puppy on me to take care of, I absolutely resented that dog just because of the fact I wasn’t ready for the responsibility of taking care of a puppy with a 9mo old baby :woman_facepalming:t2:the petty in me is saying rehome the dog with the same energy that he brought the dog into your life, but it’s not right to take it out on the pup, talk to him and let him know what you want to do, honestly

1 Like

:roll_eyes: you sound lovely to live with.

7 Likes

Can’t believe how petty and lazy some women are. You should have a looser for awhile, you deserve it.

4 Likes

Yes that’s not right you’re supposed to love what he is and this dog is a part of him and some people thinks of animals like his dog as their child that would be like giving away his child that’s not right

5 Likes

Oh come on really? He would be so upset and I’m sure your 2 year old loves the dog. I’m sure your upset but you can’t do something like that. Like others have said just hire someone to help out with the dog, animals are for life.

2 Likes

It’s not the dogs fault!

1 Like

Maybe a foster home while he is deployed is a better option? That way he can have the dog and care for the dog when he is home and it doesn’t have to fall onto you.

4 Likes

My husband was dead set us not getting a cat. My sister had a cat she had him in cage because she was scared her dogs would eat him. She was moving and said she was going to give him to the pound. I told her they would put him down. Being an older cat. So that was cat #1. Lucky (cat ) has been with us for 14 years. He is my oldest best friend. My son calls him his brother. My husband who says he hates this cat cuddles every night to him in bed or on the sofa. We have a barn cat that hangs out outside. I also bought chickens, ducks and turkeys against his wishes and now he loves them. Help repair their coop and helps refill their water. I know he would take care of them if something happened to me. Its not the dogs fault. It does seem like a lot with 2 little ones and dog but one day that dog might surprise you.

1 Like

You’re being selfish! Thinking of yourself instead of working together in a relationship. You’re denying his rights to have something he always wanted and can have. How would u like it if he did that to you? Think about it. I do agree that he should have come to you to talk about getting a dog first. But still.

6 Likes

Yes that’s wrong you could have thought of the benefit of the kids

2 Likes

Absolutely if you don’t consider him yours he’s not yours to rehome especially behind your husband’s back that would be shitty

1 Like

Yes it would be a nasty thing todo.

2 Likes

I have 6 kids German shepherd and 8 pups I didn’t want but I didn’t kill them I’m rehomining them but not my dog I also have a cat

1 Like

He really should have taken your feelings into consideration before bringing a dog home. Now that the dog is in your home, like it or not, it shouldn’t be looked at like it can be sent away, no more than sending a child away. Please do not rehome that dog.

3 Likes