Would it be okay if I left my baby with my mom for a week?

Is it wrong to leave my nine-month-old for a week with my mother? So I have a baby boy who’s nine-month-old; he is mommy’s boy always with me; he can’t stop kissing and hugging me; even when others are around, he will always choose to stick with me. My mom really loves him and takes good care of him whenever he’s at her house; I can tell he loves his grandma too! I currently live in Canada, and I have really bad teeth; it’s really expensive here, so I’ve wanted to travel to get them done in Turkey. In Canada, it would make a fortune if you live in Canada, you know !! I know if I won’t get them done, I’ll lose all my teeth very soon, I’m constantly hurting, can’t even eat normally … I really want to go, but at the same time, just the thought of not seeing him for a week makes me stressed , I feel guilty for wanting to leave him for a week ! I’m scared he will get separation anxiety if I leave him for a week please help me out I really don’t know what to do , is he too little ?

80 Likes

If your mom doesn’t mind watching him, I say go for it

1 Like

It’s hard to leave your baby behind but it’s not like you’re going on vacation you’re going to a dental procedure and it’s better you do it now while you have someone who’s willing to help. Take it while you can and healthy teeth are important for overall health. You’re not doing anything wrong.

7 Likes

Gotta take care of yourself so you can be the mom you want to be. A mom hurting and in pain from teeth isn’t someone you want to be. Go for it. Healthy mom is great for baby.

4 Likes

Don’t feel guilty! If you think he’s safe there and well cared for, you most certainly deserve a trip for your health.

2 Likes

Go for it! It’s for your own health. Don’t feel bad about it.

2 Likes

It’s gonna be hard but do it girl! He will be well taken care of. U need to take care of u so u can take care of him!

3 Likes

You can’t take care of your baby if you don’t take care of yourself, go for it

10 Likes

Go. He will be fine. Your mom gets to bond with her grandchild and you get your teeth taking care of

2 Likes

It would actually be 3 weeks. 1 week travel, and 2 weeks quarantine.

3 Likes

If you know he’ll be in good hands, go and take care yourself!

1 Like

I see nothing wrong with it. Get yourself better

You have to take care of yourself to be the best mom you can be! You aren’t leaving him for a vacation. Your dental health is very important for your overall health. I would definitely go and get it done! He is young and he won’t even remember you’re gone! Good luck

2 Likes

Even if it was for a vacation you have to take care of yourself as well! I always cried when dropping my kids off for more than a couple days but thats just part of it. DO IT!

He’ll be fine and you’ll get better

I would go. I also live in Canada and am looking at flying out to get dental work done.

He’ll be fine! Us Momaws LOVE spending time with our babies for any reason. You need to take care of yourself in order to be able to take care of him.

2 Likes

If you don’t get your teeth done, you’ll end up not being able to even care for your son. He will adapt more easily than you think. Go get your teeth done now!!

2 Likes

Its for health reason not to go party …absolutely go and get it done!

Don’t feel guilty, just keep in mind during a pandemic, it will cost you thousands extra to come home… and its risky.

Well if you’re living in Canada you wouldn’t be making a trip to Turkey as it’s not essential and I don’t see covid leaving anytime soon. Take the money and spend it on your teeth in Canada maybe at a dental university ?

5 Likes

Take care of your teeth ASAP

Oh thats prefectly fine he is in good hands you might miss him but just know ur helping yourself to help him …if u trust the person nothing wrong with it :grinning:

You will miss him every second. But remember momma you gotta take care of your self for him. You can video chat him and your mom every day. Let grandma have extra time with him so their bond grows stronger. Safe travels

4 Likes

He’ll be fine. It’s not like you’re leaving him with a stranger. You have to take care of yourself also.

1 Like

Taking care of yourself will make you a better mom for your son. Your teeth can end up causing health problems if not taken care of. Can’t make the decision for you but praying that God shows you what you need to do. Take care!

2 Likes

I left my 4 month old daughter and went to Cancun for a week. She cried constantly, we needed a break

60 Likes

Even if it were a trip for you to relax, it’d still be okay. Mamas need time sometimes.

Also, it’s health related. It is very important to get it done if that’s something you want and need. And it’s not safe for him to travel right now anyways!

:two_hearts: and plus it gives grandma some loving time!

2 Likes

Life has been so crazy lately I’m gonna go to Vegas for a few days. We have to recharge and love us too.

I’ve heard HORRIBLE things about people going and getting their teeth done In Turkey. There is a reason they are doing it for such a cheap price

5 Likes

It is your teeth!! Super imoptant!! DO IT!! Video call with you mom and son. You will regret it for the rest of your life if you don’t.

2 Likes

You will have to quarantine for another 14 days once you re enter Canada so you will be gone really long time. I would think by the time you travel plus pay for dental there, it would be close to same cost of having it done in Canada.

12 Likes

Absolutely nothing wrong with that when it’s for your health. It’ll be great bonding time for them as well. Something to consider though since it’s international travel especially in Canada you will more then likely have to quarantine as well. A few people I know had to and 1 got into trouble for not following it. Definitely look into the laws/restrictions going on right now before you go.

1 Like

I feel like turkey would be way more expensive for dental care? Wouldn’t it cost almost as much to fly there as it would to just get your teeth fixed in Canada or America? I’m honestly curious, I’m not judging. I just feel dumbfounded by this considering Canadian healthcare is way better than American healthcare and it costs me $75 a quad for planing and scaling deep clean.

2 Likes

Sounds like a legit reason. Make sure you leave medical permission incase she needs to take him to the doctor.

2 Likes

My teeth used to be horrible & I lived in constant pain so Ik exactly what you are dealing with. I would go and get them taken care of and not feel guilty as long as you know he’s in good hands. I ended up admitted in the hospital for about a week due to a severe infection & ended up having surgery, there is always that risk. You can take better care of your baby boy if you’re healthy and pain free.

1 Like

Do what makes you happy and feel better about yourself?

1 Like

The best thing you can EVER do as a mom is take care of YOU!!! No matter the reason for this trip, do it. In this case, its a MUST!!! Don’t ever feel guilty for taking care of yourself so you can be the best mom to your little guy!! Sending so much love your way. :revolving_hearts:

4 Likes

Why Turkey and not the USA

You will be away from him for only a week but in exchange, his momma will come back happier, healthier, and self cared. Don’t focus on the one week loss of time, re focus your attention on all the time you will gain from no longer stressing about your teeth and living painless and instill all that saved time into your son.

5 Likes

He will be fine . Do what u need to for your health to. Its important you are healthy to raise your child

2 Likes

If you don’t take this one week to get them done it may be a more extensive process later on down the road. Take care of yourself!

1 Like

I think it will be fine if your going somewhere to make yourself healthier it’s totally ok he needs you to be healthy …he will be great with your mom and he will just love on you more when y get back

1 Like

You need to do what’s right for you, because mamas health is just as important. He will be ok. Video chat with him on messenger or if you have an iPhone you can FaceTime. He will be ok mama. You gotta take care of you too.

Of course, that is his Grandmother, you have to care of you so you can take care of the baby and Grandma would appreciate the time too.

You’re not leaving to party, you’re leaving for a legitimate reason. Go.Get your teeth taken care of. :heart:

2 Likes

You can’t take care of your baby effectively if you don’t take care of you too. Teeth problems can even lead to death in extreme cases, then where would he be?

2 Likes

I think it’s sad that a mommy feels bad about going to take care of herself :heart: as a mom with an older child, my advice is this; go get your dental work done. Enjoy yourself. Look at some scenery while you are there. Take some beautiful photos. Take some new selfies after your appointment. Your little one and your mom will have a blast. This is a win win situation for all of you. Don’t pack any guilt in your bags when you go :kissing_heart::heart:

7 Likes

Do it mama he’ll be fine with his grandma. You need to take care of yourself so you can take care of your boy. Good luck.

You could always FaceTime. I know it’s hard but it seems necessary to me!

1 Like

He will be fine but you will be leaving him for more then a week. To travel out of Canada ( I’m Canadian) you will be quarantined when you get home by government protocol, you will have to also pay for that until they test you and you come back negative for covid. I don’t know the procedure for if you do have covid. If you come back negative you have to also quarantine for 2 weeks anyways. So not only will you be paying for air fare and medical etc you will have to have a lot of money saved for when you come back to do your quarantine etc. I would check the costs and weigh out which way would be better.

4 Likes

Sounds like a good reason, but don’t forget about us having to pay for atleast 3 days stay at a hotel once returning to Canada. That could cost up to $2000

3 Likes

Go to Colombia. Is more cheap there . And it will take just 3 to 5 days maximum to get your teeth done .

1 Like

FaceTime that sweet baby every night and morning :heart: get your teeth fixed. You will feel so much better in the long run.

2 Likes

Go for it mama! We have to take care of our selves to takw even better care of our babies. You can facetime an have phone calls, an it sounds like he loves his grandma so much an so much fun that time will fly by for him!

It’s absolutely ok! When my first son’s dad wrecked my car my grandmother offered to keep him while I got some things together (his dad wasn’t and is currently not active) I was living in GA and she lives in the DMV area so it was about 8 hours give or take. She kept him for 2-3 months (and covered all costs associated with him against me offering her money for him) since I had to figure out how to get to work, pay my bills, etc. I was so heartbroken and thought I was going to die because he had never been more than 30 minutes away from me but I knew he was in great hands and she video called me very often & sent pictures. I always tell mama’s you can pour from an empty cup, you need your teeth fixed so you NEED to go get them taken care of otherwise it could lead to other health issues down the road. Don’t ever seek validation from anyone for needing help! :two_hearts: best of luck to you!

You can always FaceTime him and your mom while you are away. And you’ll feel better after the procedure so I say do it.

You do what you need to do for sure, but don’t forget about the mandatory 2 week quarantine when you get back. That would be away from your son as well in case you were infected and gave it to him.

1 Like

I would suggest leaving him with her for a few hours at a time. Then leave him over night a couple times. This will help ease his anxiety because he’ll know you’re always coming back. Also there’s nothing wrong with you taking care of yourself. There’s nothing wrong with leaving him for a week. You seem like a very loving mother. Remeber self care is very important so yes go get your teeth done. No there’s nothing wrong with you leaving him for a week. Don’t let mom guilt get to you.

You’re clearly a very caring mum to even think about it this way. But in all honesty, if he has a good relationship with your mum, then do it. Coming from someone with a full set of dentures at 30, it’s better to get it done sooner rather than later. Not only is there the self love side, there’s the health concerns that come with bad teeth. My heart was already starting to be affected by it… get it done, then spend a solid week taking selfie’s with your little dude :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It’ll be tougher on you than him. He’ll be happy to have time with Grandma. Just make sure you can trust your mom & know the laws. I learned the hardest that in the US if you leave your child with someone over 5 days they can charge you with abandonment & your kid can be removed. I was hospitalized in the same city. I would probably have never seen my son again if left the country.

1 Like

I left my daughter when she was 5 months for 5 days I honestly hated leaving her so young but having that break and coming home to them is amazing .

I think you have a really good reason to go … being in pain with toothache is freggin horrible :slightly_frowning_face:
Go take care of your teeth …
no need for guilt :slight_smile:
And you say your mom is wonderful and that love each other , then wipe the guilt away .
Xo
Good luck from
Another Canadian woman

Could your mom and the baby go with you and she watch him while you’re getting the work done. That way he still sees you everyday but, he’s also taken care of

You won’t see him for more then week if you travel right now as you will have to quarantine for 14 days when you get back so you won’t be allowed to have him with you for essentially 3 weeks if your including the week your traveling…

1 Like

Face time and call he’ll be fine

1 Like

You need to take care of yourself. If your son and your mom get along well - I think it’d be great. Best of luck :heart:

Go… you have to take care of yourself so you can take care of your baby. Your baby will be fine.

1 Like

If he will be loved and safe and familiar with her then yes.

1 Like

I thought Canada offers dental

Could your mom and baby go with you. I could never be away from my kids when they were little but I think you really do need to take care of your health needs too.

It’s ok Mommy… take care of you, so you can take care of your baby. I’m sure he is in good hands with your mother and will so happy to see you when you return

2 Likes

U have to take care of yourself also. He will be fine u can call him and facetime with him.

Your fine sweet heart take a break

We went in a cruise and left my 9/10 month old with my sister but I needed the break.

If it’s to better your health then do so.

He’s your baby and it’s your mom, why would you give a flying rats tail about what strangers think?? You do you honey. Live your life always. :heart:

1 Like

It’s never wrong to leave your child with a loving grandparent.

My son was born at 32 weeks, weighing just under 4 pounds. He was in the NICU for a month. Once he came home, he had to eat every hour, on the hour. Then after a couple months it was every 2 hours; until he was 6 or 7 months old.
He stayed at my mother’s 1 week, every month. (On the suggestion of his doctors) I wouldn’t have survived that otherwise.
No matter what your reasoning, or what you plan on doing, if you’re babies are in a safe place, it’s okay to take a break. Everyone needs “you time”.

1 Like

Is it actually cheaper to fly round-trip, plus accommodations, all the way to Turkey?

3 Likes

You need to take care of yourself too, to be a good Mum.
Get your teeth fixed, you may miss each other but you can’t be there 24/7 eventually he will go of to day care/school.

1 Like

does he do sleep over at your mums ? if not maybe build up to it by letting him go there prior to you traveling

I always have felt that’s what grandparents are for. To help out and give the parents a break, and also time to form a lasting relationship with their grandchildren. After all isn’t that what life is all about :slightly_smiling_face:

Get your teeth taken care of then come back and really take care of that boy which by the sounds of it you most definitely will. He will be okay :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Google duo, download free.
Now you can go and still see your boy.

I left my 3 month old, 1 year old and 6 year old for a week when we went to Jamaica. (found out I was pregnant 3 days after we made the deposit😂) and they all were staying in 3 seperate places. They were completely fine. I missed them alot but the youngest two don’t even remember. Also, my teeth are horribly bad as well. Like almost every tooth is broken in the back. horrible in the front. We don’t have benefits and don’t have the money to pay out of pocket. I wish I could do what you’re doing.

1 Like

Take care of you first so you can be the right mom for your baby.

1 Like

Your mom is an experienced mom. He is in good hands.

Take care of yourself. It’s good for the babies too. He will be ok. Turkey sounds awesome

Just make the situation easiest on him maybe have mom stay at your house where he is comfortable… or maybe a few days there kids sometimes take it harder when it’s a big change for so long but girl do you also he will not be harmed from it in long run you shouldn’t feel guilty

1 Like

You are doing something that’s good for your health. In the long run that’s important for your child too. You can’t take care of someone else if you don’t take care of yourself first. Go get your teeth done, take a deep breath, and kiss that baby.

I left my 7mth old
For a week and went to punta Cana. You’re you first then a mother. Don’t forget that

Turkey? You gotta go aaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllll the way to turkey to fix your teeth? Seems to me the price of going to and from, plus your room, and food etc, would cost more than getting your teeth done locally. Something aint right. Or am i wrong

2 Likes

It’s your Mum and his Gran and it sounds like hel be safe n sound with Nan.All the best

1 Like

Number one… you do you if you need to go somewhere and you feel he’s safe and will be well cared for go for it! HOWEVER … DO NOT GO TO TURKEY TO GET MEDICAL ANYTHING DONE. I lived there for a year when my husband was in the air force… they did my septoplasty and totally messed up my nose and made the original problem worse. I ended up with a MAJOR infection that was starting to eat through my sinus cavity cause the Turkish dr wouldn’t listen to me saying I was just just woman and didn’t know what I was talking about. Research other places please for the love of all that is sacred don’t risk it

4 Likes

Don’t forget to factor in the time you’d need to isolate when you come back. Would hate to hear of a 9 month old catching covid. (Not saying that you’d be positive just something to think about)

3 Likes

It’s for medical reasons. No different than having to go into the local hospital for a procedure, especially these days as COVID probably wouldn’t allow your son to visit you in a hospital, so it’s no different.

1 Like

Didnt your mom do a good job raising you. What better person to leave him with. I’d see if you were leaving him with another family member but your mom will take just as good care of him as you would. As far as separation anxiety they all will experience it no matter what age you decide to first level them. It can also be a good bonding moment with her and you may feel more comfortable next time you decide to go.

3 Likes

Start by leaving him for 2 or 3 days a few times before jumping into a week

3 Likes

You have to get your teeth fixed, it can cause other health issues in the future, if you trust your mom your baby will be ok and in good hands

4 Likes