Would it be wrong to force a 7 year old on a plane?

I’ve been terrified of flying since I was a kid I have full on panic attacks now that I’m older my doctor will prescribe me anxiety meds like Valium for when I have to fly I’ve always chosen to fly any way because if not I wouldn’t travel. Because for me it’s worth it for those hours of full anxiety of fear. So if it is fear maybe try talking to him about all the fun things your going to do in Florida and def bring his favorite stuffed animal or blanket or whatever his safety item is on the plane. Def have stuff to keep him occupied like games or a movie or something. I’m happy my parents forced me to fly when I was kid as I always enjoyed the trip ( they had to force me as kid now that I’m an adult I’m still terrified but I force myself) def talk to him about though is the biggest thing

Be prepared for him to act like a nut and you all to get kicked off your flight

1 Like

I grew up in the crazy age where you could fly minor alone and let me tell you I loved flying. I’ve always loved the sky and what it was about. Try educating them on what’s in the air and what you might see and in general what it is. Plus not everybody gets to fly so make it a privilege and fun. And if they are completely terrified then reassurance that you will protect them is alwasy a plus from your parents. I hope they overcome this as flying is a wonderful joy if allowed to be.

It would be wrong to force him yes, means a sulking unhappy child in the air thinkbofcothers around you if hes crying or tantruming, contact your nearest airport some firms offer a quick like experience day, if still anxious, as your doctor for some medication to help as obviously he cant be left at home. You want a happy, exciting experience.good luck i hope it all goes well for youx

Take him to the airport ahead of time and let him see first hand what it’s like. Then ask what is it exactly that makes him afraid.

2 Likes

At the end of the day, yes, he would have to get on a plane. The 7 year old can’t be left on his own and he can’t drive himself. However, instead of just making that the final word, talk to him about why he’s scared. See what coping mechanisms you both can come up with to help. But yes, if that’s how the family is going to travel, he is going to need to travel the same way.

Easyjet do a fantastic course for nervous flyers. It has great reviews. Find out if they allow children to do it x

Good thing neither parent is military.no choice kiddo suck it up and fly.

1 Like

I wouldn’t chance taking him on a plane when he seems that afraid as it could definitely turn into a nightmare for everyone, for several hours… I’d make arrangements with grandparents or family members to take him.

Your not the child’s friend your their parent. Seems like there is bigger problems if you have a child who’s refusing to do something. We all do things we don’t want to on life. They’ll get over it. The child isn’t in charge.

First, figure out why he doesn’t want to get on the plane. Is it his first time? A previous bad experience? Scare stories told by other kids? Its possible this is just coming from the idea of being on a plane and he’ll be ok once he boards the plane and gets settled in for the trip. Let him bring something like a tablet to help take his mind off the flight and pass the time.

I don’t like to fly eaither so maybe he has a reason not to want to go on the plane! Ask him why he doesn’t want to go to florida!

Can y’all not go by car? It will take longer but I can’t blame the kid I will not get on the plane due to me being afraid of heights and I don’t want to fall to my death.

He is 7. He is not in charge you are.I bet he is scared of a lot of things… shots, dentists, hospitals, etc. Of course do what you can to comfort him and talk to your doctor about a plan, but if I were you, I would make him do what I say… not let him be in charge.

Most pilots will do a cabin tour of the plane and give them a pair of wings they did this to my 5yr old nephew he was also scared ask the airline your going on and see they can help you out

You are the parents… he is 7 he doesn’t run the show…

Maybe see if you can get him a fly free visit prior to the trip…meet the pilot and crew…check if airline could set this up…just an idea

1 Like

Check in early , speak to the agents early , preboard so he can meet the crew early . Give ample time so he doesn’t feel overwhelmed.

Talk to him horrible feeling if your scared! My children got headphones and a tablet colouring book pens etec keep their mind off it! I hate flying my kids love it now x

He could possibly get you removed from flight, because of bad behavior. Find out why he’s not ok with flying.

Dont blame him i wouldn’t get on it either. Shouldn’t be made too if hes fear is that bad, we dont know everything

Dam all of these posts make me sound like a pus I’m 33 I flew one time and I refuse to get on a plane and an elevator it’s clostraphobia and panic attacks that I’m afraid to fly. He’s 7 maybe he has a logical reason he’s afraid of flying.

:joy: if you let your kid tell you how you will travel and he’s only 7, you are in for one hell of life. You are the parent, you make the rules, you make the choices. I’m sure he’s scared, but he’s going to have to get over that fear somehow someway and the best way is flying, at his age. Are you just never going to take a vacation simply because of what your 7 year old says? What other decisions does he make for you and your family?

Would you want to be forced on an airplane? Find out why he is so stressed about it and work it out or make arrangements for him to stay with someone whilst you all go … having a child meltdown on a plane is never a good idea

Educating your children before making plans helps, explain to them that is okay to get on the plane and give them the assurance they’re safe by give them comfort and keep them close by until they feel comfortable.

Ask his pediatrician. It’s because he’s nervous, maybe she can give him something.

There must be a reason why the child is not wanting to go on the plane out the child down and find out why.
Are threy scared? Why are they?
Cant you go on a holiday that doesn’t mean you have to fly?
Why book a holiday.when you know your child isn’t happy to fly? Surely holidays are happy things not something that causes stress all.round for everyone.
Its unfair yo go off on your holidays and leave the child behind.
Anyway there is a global.pandemic right now. Is flying.wise?

Try to have him think of the fun times instead of the flight. I am one that is afraid of flying also but have taken many flights. Gotta focus on the fun things and maybe a tranquilizer lol. Yes people the tranquilizer is a joke… but you could ask dr for something to calm him if that’s something you would think about. Maybe hes just seen movies with these scary scenarios where the plane flight is nuts but it’s only a movie…

It’s the same with going to church or anywhere. They go where the parents say to go at age 7

The airline may have regulations in place against that.

1 Like

If he makes an extreme scene at the airport the airlines can and might refuse to fly him.

Try to validate his feelings while also ensuring him u will be there. And he has to try at least ONCE before he really knows.

Air Hollywood helped us get our child on a plane. Good simulation of what to expect with all the bells and whistles. See if they have something like that in your area.

Take him to the airport before let see the planes let see getting on off you have to think all had is fear don’t fly films crashes 9-11 remember every year etc

I took a Fear of Flying class. Why don’t you try and find one for children. The major airlines usually know of courses

“Who’s the parent?” Y’all really act like being afraid is something you can strong arm out of them. It isn’t irrational to be scared. Especially when you’re a child.

Since when does a adult allow a 7 year old run the show?

Been there.Pilot offered her to see the cockpit.She would not cooperate.Got rental car until there was somewhere she wanted to go.Now an ace traveler.

Talk about how fun the plane will be. Buy new exciting things to do on the plane and how much fun you will have when you get there. Talk of the positive and that is going to happen and don’t speak of an any option.

No it’s just new to them.they can be talked into it and rewarded. They have to learn how to get on in life…one day they may talk u out of riding in a car .then not go to school,grow up not wanting to go to work…and on and on. No kindly but firmly . This is what we do,and put a goal at the end of the journey that they can understand and enjoy.theyll learn

You’re the parent… Set your foot down. Figure out the main problem and see what can be done. You’re the parent, not them. Don’t let a child ruin the fun for everyone!! Just saying…

Parents must have done something to put fear in the child. My Son flew alone at 6yrs old.

1 Like

Mmmm your the parents so why let the child decide when your the adult…

I would look my kids in the eye and say I’ll bring you back something cool. Call me every morning and every night. I’ll miss ya.

You need to find out why hes so afraid… all children are different… years ago when my son was 6 i sent him solo from uk to morrocco on British airways as his dad as living out there … hes 23 now …

Parents must prepare the kids in advance for all forthcoming activities of the family.

I would use a mild sedative and then dress my child up in a sleeveless shirt with a bunch of gold chains. I would put on a gray wig and chew on a cigar. We would totally work on our A-Team cosplay.

Maybe he would ride a train. That way he could look out the window and see the ground whizzing by.

You might have to get him interested in planes. Talk to him about how cool planes are, get him a model plane of his choice, take him to airport to see planes taking off. Won’t be easy, but not that difficult either. All the best!

I’m almost 39 and have the same fear. Please don’t force him!

He going kids at 7 can’t be saying what they not going to do.

Well the other option is to leave him at the airport & say ‘See you later’…
Seriously, yes get him on…make it fun…bribe him…

I think you have a discussion about why he “absolutely refuses”. Is he afraid of flying? Is he worried about Covid-19? Does he refuse other things randomly? Does he hate Florida from prior experience or has he heard something about it? If you listen to him, you can give him options. We love you and want you to be with us as a family to go visit Grandma or whatever but if you really and truly don’t want to go we can arrange for you to stay with trusted friends/neighbors/relatives/ etc. Give him the choice to decide. If he chooses not to go this is a learning opportunity. His feelings are valued. Unless you are planning an irrevocable move why force him? He may miss you. He may regret missing the trip. You can then be the grown-up and not say I told you so, but rather explain that a parent’s job is to make the best choices and while you are sorry he missed this trip there will be other trips. You love him and value him communicating with you. Sometimes there will probably be times when you must and will insist. But your relationship may be vastly strengthened by listening to your little guy.

I just took my 9 year old in a 4 seater plane. You’re good.

Social story about going on a plane. Social story about where you’re going and what you will be doing. Videos showing being on a plane.

My older son hated to fly. We left him with friends when we did. Didn’t make him.

Tell him he can either ride inside where it’s nice and warm or outside strapped to the landing gear, his choice. :thinking:

Can he stay behind with a relative?

I took relaxers my first plane ride. I was fine after that without them

Who’s the boss.
Had 3 boys… they never told me what they would not do …. I told them.

My daughter at 5 flew from Dallas to Portland Oregon by herself and from Texas to Nevada by herself at 7 and absolutely loved both experiences. I would get to the root of his fear and find out why. Make it a positive experience

Why is he refusing? First time?
Bad experience with first flight?

Who is the parent. Child or grown up. You didn’t make the child behave at 3. You lost.

I assume you are an adult…act like it!

How is this a question? If you guys are flying the kid is flying.

If this is your child my decision would be going with family

Is it because he is scared? Maybe sweeten the deal with a bribe lol.

Have him watch Home Alone? I’m Kidding. Or am I?

1 Like

Who is the parent and who is the child?

Fears are fears no matter age . Maybe figure out why they are scared FIRST and go from there . Just because they are a child doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be heard

8 Likes

it isn’t wrong. your going on a trip and want to take him with you.

Get a sitter. Don’t traumatize him. He’ll be fine.

2 Likes

Find him someone to stay with.I would not force him to get on a plane.

2 Likes

Who is the parent here?Just asking

1 Like

Who’s in charge the parent or the child?

Leave him at home with the grandparents and send him lots of photos everyday of what a great time you’re all having :joy:

Force is a harsh word. But coaching to help his fears

See if airline will let him explore and empty plane
See if a pilot will show him the cockpit
Ask a stewardess for help

He has better odds breaking his neck getting outta bed then something happening

This kid is SEVEN! Who is the parent here? Put him on the plane, sit him down and tell him this is what we are doing so read, watch something or sleep. Period. Jeeeese people.

6 Likes

tell him if he doesn’t want to get on the plane to florida then he doesn’t get to go to florida :woman_shrugging:t2:

Florida is not far by car wait a couple of years for the plane ride

Figure it out. That’s your job as a parent

My husband will not set foot on a plane so I leave his ass at home. See you later alligator. :airplane::small_airplane:

Tell him he can walk onto the plane, or he can be packed into a doggy crate, but either way he’s getting his little young ass on that plane.

4 Likes

I take Xanax to fly …just hate it!!

You do not force your child, you comfort him and make him feel safe.

Blindfold him and tell him he is playing a game ha ha

No! Hard to watch but no!

Both of my children are terrified to fly, I would never force them. See if that’s what is wrong.

I think it is. I would hate someone to force me i’m scared shitless of planes even had nightmares I was on one and I woke up from my heart racing so fast and crying because of fear. Children at the age of 7 are well aware of their personal fears and throwing him into the fire will only cause more fear and possible resentment :woman_shrugging:t2: and those saying “Whos the parent” I’d hate to be your child!

1 Like

If he throws a fit on the plane you will be kicked off

That’s what benadryl is for

Arrange with a representative of the airline to greet you at the airport for just a visit and meet the pilot!
Go on board and see the cockpit, etc. Get a set of wings for his lapel. A fun visit…he is a future customer so they might help.!
My son flew by himself several times at age 4/5 and loved it! Of course that was several tears ago. Delta sent him a letter Thanking him for his business!! LOL

At 7 he needs to understand he doesn’t rule you go to his dr. And get some medicine to help relax him

Perhaps he knows something you dont.

Have a talk with him about it. Ask him if he can think of anything that will make him feel better because we are definitely getting on the plane. Consult pediatrician for advice… They may give him a low dose anxiety medication for the trip.

80% of what a 7 year old does is part of a structure of some kind, unless your kid is feral.

Maybe he just doesn’t want to go to Florida.

Leave the child with a sitter if possible. Have a relaxed FL trip.