Would you be mad if one of your parents got married without telling you?

I believe it is best for a parent to let their child know they are getting married even though the child may have a hard time accepting it. As a widow myself, my grown daughter refused to accept the only relationship I have had since her father died.

I think you need to have a serious calm but frank discussion with your dad and ask why he didn’t tell you, REALLY. Explain how you feel to him, then go from there. This is much more complicated than the few facts given to render a constructive opinion.

1 Like

Yes. Just like a parent would be upset if their child got married without sharing that tidbit with them. Goes both ways.

I wouldn’t care lol we are all adults here. Id congratulate my parent and be on with my life lol

I would not care, if I knew about it but the fact it was hidden I would be beyond angry. If my dad was afraid I would be upset if he told me I would go over to his house I would introduce myself to his wife say welcome to the family and then I would turn around to him and yell at him You thought I would be upset about you getting married I am not I am upset and pissed you thought so little of me and your grandkids that you choose not to tell us and leave us out of your life well you may have your wish were not part of your life until you learn how to respect us as part of the family. I would turn to the wife say this is not about you but about how he handled things and then walk out.

4 Likes

Frankly I wish my dad would than he would not be my problem anymore. My mom passed away when I was 9 leaving my brother and I with a narcissistic asshole that would not let my grandparents take custody of us because he didn’t want to loose the money he got for us after my mom passed. As soon as we were 18/no longer in school and that money stopped coming in he couldn’t get rid of us fast enough. I was glad to be away from him until I had no choice but to move in with him to flee an abusive relationship. Then I felt trapped again.

I would be upset if my dad didn’t tell me but not my mom cuz she does whatever the hell she wants anyways.

My dad did this too. He invited her kids, and didn’t even tell us about till later, some time later. But I didn’t get mad. He just showed their true colors. It was always with her kids. He never worried about us. Didn’t hear from him much.

I would be so sad but would not let him know u know if he hated your mom that much that mean s he was a good dad I would just let pass it u will l loose beautiful enemy kids DONT need. To know he Wii suffer as the older
( a good new wife should have respected you.) Bless.

Nope it is his life and as long as he is happy and the woman is good to him I would wish him the best. When I get married I don’t want ANYBODY there but the person I am marrying and the person doing the ceremony anybody else would be a distraction. Between us we have 4 kids, a gang of grandkids, siblings, and parents and they are all going to have to understand my wedding is not about them so don’t take it personally.

2 Likes

What makes people think they are entitled to be a part of someone else’s day? If a couple wants to elope or do something personal they should be able to do so without worrying about someone getting offended. The day is special to the couple and should be able to be done how they see fit.

2 Likes

I’d be upset that they didn’t at least tell me, but I wouldn’t expect my “blessing” to be required. Why did he think you’d be upset? Seems like something is missing.

3 Likes

No, they’re grown and so are you its their life

10 Likes

I wouldn’t be upset. It’s his life. If he wanted me to be a part of it, I would have been. Life is short. I don’t tell my dad every detail of my life. And if I had an issue, I would have asked him directly, not went to the grandparents first.

1 Like

My father got married without telling me. We weren’t really talking. At least I don’t think so.

1 Like

I’d be upset, especially if others were there.

1 Like

My dad called his girlfriend his wife to someone the other day. I almost choked. I couldn’t even mention it to him because I didn’t want to hear that he is married. So I had my husband ask him :rofl:. He said he wasn’t and it was an accident

1 Like

They are grown ups and will do what they do. If yall are close I can understand the hurt. What’s done is done though so proceed with maturity. Just sit him down, tell him you know, and express how happy you are for him and that it just hurt you couldn’t be apart of his happiness. That’s really all you can do now. Accept its happened and make peace with it. Mabe offer to throw a shindig for them or a little gathering that you can be apart of to honor his nuptials.

1 Like

Honestly, talk to your dad about it and explain how it made you feel to not be invited or know anything about it. It’s ok to be upset because he is your dad (id be upset with my mom if she did the same because it would rather hurt to not know or be able to be a part of a happy life changing moment.) But i would still talk to him about it to find out his reasoning behind it

I would definitely be upset if he didn’t tell me.

Maybe hurt,more than mad.

I would be mad and hurt

Meh, my dad and step mom eloped. I was definitely happy for them. I was still a little bummed I wasn’t able to be there though.

Maybe he view his relationship with you no different than your mom and you don’t know it.

Hmm to let you know is a courtesy, you are a blood relation after all.

If there is no underlying problems or issues between you and your father yeah I would be quite personally upset if I was you.

2 Likes

I would not get mad if they got married I’d be mad the didn’t tell me so me the daughter can share their special moment

1 Like

Like a wedding or courthouse?

Yeah I would be upset if he didn’t tell me.

Do you not like his new wife ? Why didn’t he tell you ? His feelings for your mother should have nothing to do with you. I’m so spiteful I would never forget that .

I found out on Facebook that my dad was remarried. There’s a bunch of other junk leading up to it that makes it a really crappy situation but I was more annoyed then mad. I was 27 so I didn’t understand why I wasn’t important enough to know that it had happened…definitely didn’t help our relationship :upside_down_face:

Yea my dad went abroad and got married and I didnt know till couple years later when I seen a pic, he just said he wanted it small. Not bothered by it though

I have a great relationship with my mom and if she got married without me I would definitely be upset

Depending on the circumstances like if he had been planning for months then yes he should have at least told you.

I wouldnt care dont do weddings so wouldnt b there regardless

Honestly it shouldn’t matter. It was probably a small ceremony of him and his new wife. Yes my dad remarried no I was not invited to the wedding no one was. No it does not bother me because he married the love of his life and he is happy and that is all I care about. Also he is in his 70’s to him marriage is between him his wife and god.

1 Like

I wouldnt be mad about it.

Mom went to the Court House to marry the guy. I am glad I didn’t know cause I really didn’t like this man!! He proved me right what a devious man he was. I wasn’t mad at Mom just wasn’t pleased with her choice for a husband.

No your a grown adult he don’t have to explain his life to anyone if he don’t wanna. Maybe it’s was just the two of them. He don’t need to share every detail of his life

He is a grown ass man with grown children lol. It’s his life.