Would you be upset if your mom posted the birth announcement before you did?

Would you be upset if your mother (the grandmother) posted on social media announcing the birth of your child before you got to announce the delivery in your own way? To me, I feel like it’s extremely disrespectful and selfish. Am I alone in feeling this way?

122 Likes

I would be pretty upset myself

1 Like

I’d be fuming! So so mad! And I’d make her aware of what a dick move that is.

2 Likes

I announced my grandsons arrival before my daughter did WITH her permission. I would never go against her wishes when it came to HER children. Not my place.

I would be furious. I have made it so clear to my family to wait on everything even announcement and gender reveal because I want to be in the moment before it’s all over social media. It seems like common respect to not but some people do not understand that social etiquette so I made it very clear to my family

unless told otherwise it is not their place to say anything!! smh

3 Likes

Why be so mad the woman just so excited to have a grandkid and I’m sure she loves you and her grandchild

15 Likes

If you didnt ask her to let you announce it, I would think you should understand she is an excited grandma and maybe you should talk to her about it. Maybe rude and inconsiderate, but probably of good intent.

13 Likes

I personally let my daughter announce it… but I understand those that do. Its exciting and a big moment for grandma as well. Be nice to grandma… you will most definitely need her

I would love to have a mother and or mother in law who was so excited to be a grandmother that they just couldn’t wait to spread the joy! Be thankful that you have them! Not everyone has. You are very lucky!
Just remember, as your baby grows, there will be a lot of things along the way that will irritate you being the mother.I say, as long as everything they do is done out of love and excitement for you and your child, give them grace and be thankful

2 Likes

Totally disrespectful!! When my daughter had her baby, we took pics but did not post. It wasn’t our place to announce. IT SHOULD BE THE PARENTS OF THE NEWBORN. Once they posted then we shared the news.

1 Like

You have a right to be upset. In the future I would keep all my details in home as that is your place to reveal details not mother or mother in law
Prepare for a rocky future with these control freaks.

Why be so bitchy about it? Im about to be a great grandmother and my daughter told me not to say anything till they announced it. It irritated me to no end, and honestly, that took some of my joy away. It changed my happiness level. Now I’m kinda indifferent. Everyone has their own feelings. I respected their wishes, but it came at a cost.

She may of thought she was being helpful. You’ve been trying to adjust to the task of motherhood and I’m sure exhausted. Talk to her about it with an open mind. Just let her know when it comes to milestones you would like to keep her informed obviously but when it comes to friends and family you would like to be the one to make announcements on your lil. And you should feel free to still make your announcement after all I’m sure you have some in your circle that she dont! Congrats on your lil!

Not appropriate… better set ground rules now or she is going to be running the show.

3 Likes

Why are people so petty and make an issue of everything life is so short I’m sure she’s so excited and can’t wait sharing it including date no harm please think about it

18 Likes

I would be…often times family members over step boundaries and when they are the senior they think its okay but its not…I’ve had to check my own mother a few times! Set healthy boundaries so there is no misunderstanding

It depends? Its understandable if there 1st time grandmas or if your there favorite. But either way it can be upsetting cause its your baby and they did it without permission…

1 Like

I would have been mad, that’s your moment and you have the right to announce your child’s birth the way you want to. I didn’t even have to tell mine they always asked if it was okay.

1 Like

Omg- the in law to my daughter does that repeatedly! She announced their wedding date, the birth of the baby- she always does this. Aggravates me, my daughter just takes it in strides, doesn’t get worked up at all!!

That was Your right, not hers. Extremely selfish and self-serving. I’d be pissed!!! I stopped posting pictures of my grandchildren, even though I have permission from their parents. To many sick perverted, and people will steal steal your kids photos. She crossed the line in a huge way!!!

She is excited on her first grandchild.This time should be to enjoy the event together.

I’d be pissed. She’d know exactly how I felt too!!

I would, but I made it VERY clear prior to him being born that ANYONE announcing on social media before I got to would feel my wrath. I made it very, VERY clear. No exceptions.
I feel the same way about people who post cell phone pics/videos from weddings before the bride even gets to share her professional photos she paid a thousand bucks for.
If it’s not YOUR special moment, you need to ask permission before you post it on social media.

My crusty mother in law did this for not only birth but the marriage announcement as well🤦‍♀️ some idiots have No Boundaries.

I am a grandma of 4. I am always so excited. If it was her first grand. I totally understand. I had to learn to ask if things were ok…to do or not to do…there was no social media when my first was born so I don’t know if I would have posted it or not.
Life is short. Let it go. If you have another baby be specific.
Enjoy having someone that loves your baby as much as you do.
Grandparents make mistakes just like everyone else.

Thank her for being excited! If you consider that you’re lucky to have her around still it’s really not that big a deal :heart:

5 Likes

It’s only disrespectful if you actually said something to her first. And then she still posted it anyway

5 Likes

I would inform her that you wanted to do it first but you’re not upset. Let her know you always want to be the first to put up pictures of your child on special holidays and occasions. She’s excited as are you and i feel it is your right but you have to understand that this is new to grandma, the social media world and sharing, she was never really allowed to do that with you when you were born and it’s takes people by surprise how easy it is to share and get likes and comments about her gorgeous new grand baby.

1 Like

I understand the excitement but not her place. This takes away from the parents making the announcement. When my daughter told me they were expecting she made me swear not to post before they announced. They waited til 16 weeks. It killed me but I honored her request as it was their special moment to share first.

I wouldn’t be she’s excited :slight_smile:

3 Likes

All of my family waited patiently til the parents announced it. Then its was a free for all brag fest. #proudnannie

No it’s being a proud parent

3 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t care. Not something I consider to be disrespectful at all- she’s excited and so are we. :blush:

1 Like

Nobody should post anything on social media, call anyone or text anyone else until the parents of the child have stated it’s ok.
It’s your child, your news, your big day.

7 Likes

Going through this now. No she should not.

1 Like

Nope not unless she was told not to but otherwise what’s the big deal

3 Likes

Not if it’s coming from your own family :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

As a mother and grandmother I say she is wrong. When your child, who is always your child reaches grown age married or not you need to give them room to live their life. You are now second place in that child life. For me I want love and respect not a boss position. Yes I am excited after having four grands but I am staying in my place as a grandma and friend to my child. I believe God would be please with me.

Yes I was very very angry at my sister

Oh, so everyone has to accommodate you? It’s only yours??
Be careful who you burn, you may need her one day, and she’s gonna laugh in your face.
I hate when people decide that they can take anything and twist it all about them. What, like she doesn’t have her own friends?? I suggest that you don’t tell anyone, anything till you get your "premier ". But, don’t be surprised when people get upset.

8 Likes

Courtesy lets the parents announce it first, but that is a risk we take in this day and age.

2 Likes

So announce the baby again anyway. I would tell her how you want things to go moving forward but I wouldn’t be pissed over it. Did you expressly tell her beforehand?

1 Like

I know i was mad when my mother did that to me. She didn’t posted it on Facebook bc she didn’t have one but she called just about everybody. I never told her anything but i guess she knew.

The Only way you should get REALLY MAD ,is if you made it clear before the baby is born NOT TO !!!🤷 (Or if she knows already you don’t like all this social media stuff in the first place then she should have ask first) I would think you would make it perfectly clear before hand !!! My granddaughter made it VERY CLEAR before my first great grandson was born not to post any pictures of him and of course I didn’t even though I was soooo excited and proud !!!

Did you tell your mom to wait because YOU wanted to make the announcement? No… so let her enjoy the excitement of the birth of your baby and let her brag about her grandbaby. It doesn’t matter who spoke about it first, y’all will get the same amount of attention lol

4 Likes

As a grand parent I can understand her excitment. Having a grandchildren being born is a totally different feeling, a different love altogether. I wouldn’t of told anyone before my daughters told anyone because I was told by both my girls it was a no nó. I would forget about it, as it can’t be changed, concentrate on your baby, and join together as a family to enjoy your new baby. Congratulations.

I’d be upset myself. You should have had a chance to do it or her at least ask how you wanted it done and do it your way.

2 Likes

Be glad your mother is still alive and can be excited about her grandchildren

9 Likes

All these comments are overreacting. She was excited about the baby. Is it really that serious when the focus should be on that the baby was born healthy. It must have been you MIL that did it.

2 Likes

I would be, I’ve had two children and made it very clear both times we were to announce the births

2 Likes

Honestly, most often a family member takes lead on posting since you’re recovering and enjoying your new baby. Sit back, take a deep breathe and enjoy being a momma!

4 Likes

I waited for my son to post my grandsons birth , it was his moment and I had to respect that

She is a proud grandparent and excited don’tet it be a big deal just enjoy the new baby

5 Likes

As a grandmother I would always ask my kids/parents permission first.

Hell yeah
So disrespectful.

1 Like

I ALWAYS ask my kids first!!!

Everyone think she’s overreacted and it’s not a big deal, but it’s her baby, it’s not anyone’s story to tell. Social media is vast, your info is forever out there.What if the mama wants privacy? What if she doesn’t wanna announce until she feels better? Maybe she doesn’t wanna deal with ppl even the well meaning one’s. Not everyone likes to celebrate and share every single shit in their life. Just because you re the mama’s mother doesn’t mean u can overstep

2 Likes

Yes I’d be miffed. Tell her off

1 Like

My mom straight up announced my pregnancy before I did and I wasn’t mad about it at all… I was happy that my mom was so excited about it and that she is alive to enjoy her grandchildren. I just posted my own post about it too and said what I wanted to say.

LMAO…Imagine if it was HIS mama that did this UNTHINKABLE ACT…ruined the whole birth and everything…Get a grip people. How do you think it was done before Social Media…LOL. Stop being petty and enjoy your baby. Nothing is stopping you from making your own official announcement in the cutest…most extra and over the top way. It is ridiculous the things ppl come up with to get offended over. Besides that…IF it was that important to you then maybe you should have made your wishes clear beforehand.

4 Likes

Rolling my eyes at today’s people…

This was something I should have discussed with her in the beginning that you.personally wanted to post the birth noone is really to blame here if you choose talk to her saying.you appreciated the gesture.however I’d.likento.put another one.in saying what.you want to say this really isint something to cause waves about its workable.good luck

It depends, if it’s her first grandchild then no I wouldn’t be upset at all, why would I be, she’s my mom, of course she’s as thrilled as I am about my baby, and she’s about to be a grandmother for the first time, let her have her fun announcing that she’s going to be a first time grandmother, so what if she does it before you do, let her have some fun in the birth of your child, if she’s anything like my mother, she will be a huge part of your child’s life, let her share in your joy also, grandparents have a right to announce that they are going to be grandparents

You guys worry about the most stupid things.

9 Likes

What’s the big deal about it she posted her grandchild and u can post your child she just excited to be a granny sometimes we need to understand even if it’s my bro or sister who posted I don’t think I will b furious with them for sharing the good news and happiness

Nope that’s stepping over boundaries and should be a huge warning flag of what’s coming in your future. And I’m a grandmother also. Get a handle on it, be direct!

Not at all she’s just a very proud grandma. The worlds getting so sensitive

3 Likes

I’m a Mima and I respectfully waited for the parents to post first. But, the minute they did, I did as well bc I was so excited !!

3 Likes

Meh, it’s situational. If we had lots of friends in common, I’d be mad, but we don’t so 🤷.

1 Like

You shouldn’t be. Be happy you got your mom & she’s there for you & your baby. Also be happy you got a happy healthy baby. Your mom wasn’t trying to ruin anything but just celebrating this wonderful time. You can still make your announcement.

3 Likes

I contacted all my close friends private messaged them and Close family and privately posted pics of my new grandson when he was born now older I post pics all the time as a family very proud first time grandma :+1::+1:

My mother did this with my last even after we put on up a thing saying no Vax and we would announce.
I was pretty pissed but realised it’s really not that much of a big deal … There’s alot worse things going on in the world and I should just be greatful she was there etc

1 Like

I would think a new baby arriving and the joy plus adjustment period would be my priority, not who said the baby is born first! If this is your biggest problem, you have big problems lol.

I think you are petty.You should be glad to have a mother who is happy for you and excited for her grandchild.It is not always like that and you should never take it for granted

5 Likes

The mother should be the one to announce the birth not the grandparents. I’d set boundaries up before the child was ever born.

1 Like

So why cant you still announce
your delivery in “your own way”? :roll_eyes: she obviously was excited. Your being kind of petty… atleast you still have your mom.

2 Likes

Your mum was probably super excited & proud about her grandchild, which is an awesome thing :heart_eyes: it takes a village to raise a child…x

3 Likes

If my mum was here and she did …no way I’d be upset. It would mean she’s here with me. And has met her grandbaby. And her grandbaby has had the honour to meet his/her grandma.

Be grateful that she’s still alive and well to post her love of a grandchild!

Perspective.

It’s my mom n I’m fine with it.

Unless you asked her to not say anything, she was excited and that’s what future grandma’s do. Announce it your way and soon and let it be. Now you know not to tell anyone till you announce on the next one!

Mother job not grandma s… Know your place…

1 Like

She’s just as happy as you are, don’t you be so disrespectful. You’ll have other kids, be a but about them. Chill out…

This here is why my mama would not know anything until it was over and done with. She would be the last to know. She likes to do shit like this then act like it is someone else’s fault so yeah I would be pissed

I think it right to wait for the parents to announce it first HOWEVER try to give grandma a little understanding she was just excited and didn’t think of anything else just baby is here.

Maybe she just got too excited of her grandchild…

Ur not alone… I waited until my sons family posted it on social media, then I reshared their post… it’s respectful to do so, even though being a new grandma, ur so excited u almost just can’t wait to break the news, but it’s actually the new parents news to break first… I believe this

When o had my son of course there was no social media but my dad called the hospital to find out if my baby was born we where in a whole different town lol but he did call my hubbys parents to tell them my son is 30 and till this day my hubby still brings it up lol he says your dad did not even let me tell my family that my baby was born but now it’s more like we joke about it dad has passed away now it’s just a nice memory :cry:

Who cares, is everyone healthy? So much bigger things in life to get mad about than someone being so happy that they post on soical media, wow they love your baby, comparison is the thief of joy you’re stealin your own joy

It’s totally inappropriate if she didn’t ask you first. Stand up for yourself, tell her she did something that hurt your feelings, and remind her that no one did that to her in her day. And then for all future ‘big event’ announcements (like baby walking, etc.) she needs to check with you before she spreads the news.

This same day prayer saved my life when I had lost hope:
Dear reader, after my husband divorced me for another young lady, my mom advised me to consult with Dr. Mwoto. I was resistant at first but the fact that I still loved and missed my husband which motivated me to contact him for help. I was really not sure what to expect so I asked her to restore my marriage and also chase away the girlfriend who was breaking my marriage apart. My life was really a mess because we had been having problems with my boyfriend and we had been together with him for over 6 years now, I do love this man a lot and I wanted to get married to him but a times I did feel a little confused about this and had wondered if he had been true to the relationship…until I found Dr. Mwoto. He told me that he was not being true to me. I did later find out that he had been seeing his ex-girlfriend. I was overwhelmed and did not know what to do, although I still loved him and could not see myself with anyone else, I did not want to lose him and Mwoto assured me that he could help me with this problem, I contacted him once again to let him know that I did want to get help with this. With the powers that he has so now I have my boyfriend and I did work a lot of things out and he has come back to me and we are now back together and engaged I haven’t fully gotten over the fact that he had been cheating on me but sometimes we do need to forget the past and move on to a better future and without Dr. Mwoto’s help I don’t think it would have ever worked out. he is truly an Angel sent from above! I can’t thank him enough and I would recommend his service to anyone who is having a problem like mine. I will automatically be coming back to him again in case of any difficulties in my life. YOU CAN CALL/WHATSAPP DR MWOTO ON +27638788949

Nope wouldn’t care, not something to get upset over. When my son was born all I cared about was my son. Didn’t care or have time for social media and was happy for others to get the word out for me so my baby got ALL my attention.

No she was in the wrong

1 Like

I’d be livid. Enough to maybe not talk to her for a while

3 Likes

If you asked the family not to then yes. If you didn’t and u feel this way just ask her to take it down till u share it. Don’t get all angry for a simple mistake

5 Likes

Absolutely I would be pissed

2 Likes

No I’d be pissed too. My brother in law ruined it for me

2 Likes

Yes I would be upset. Very upset. But I’d also have a nagging feeling that she was just excited…but that thought may take me a long time to get there…lol. so yeah. I’d be mad.

1 Like

I would be absolutely pissed. It should be common sense.

1 Like

Yes! We made it very clear that NO ONE was to announce the birth of our baby until we did and no one was to post pictures of our baby until we did. We wanted our older children to meet the new baby and then social media could.

i told everyone if we told them they went out and did this then they lost all privileges and were not getting any information about anything ever again

2 Likes