Would you be upset if your mom posted the birth announcement before you did?

When I had my son and a C-section our families had already posted the pics and info I was totally out of it for 24 hrs

3 Likes

The mom should be the one to announce it

2 Likes

My sister in law did this and I am still mad about it 4 years later

5 Likes

My best friend posted a photo while I was in the hospital just after having her and I was ok with that. Just shows she was excited for her niece to be born. In a day of social media things like this happen.

1 Like

I’d be furious if my mom did that. Was not her place to say anything.

1 Like

I think it’s one of those things that she probably doesn’t realize she did something wrong. Younger people kind of have their own code of ethics for social media that we all pretty much know but I don’t think older people quite get that.

While I would be mad, i also think if you don’t want an excited, proud grandma to post about it then you need to specify that to her.

3 Likes

Only if they were warned not to!

1 Like

Not her new to share… Id be pissed.

2 Likes

She was probably so excited she didn’t think long enough to realize it might upset you .
Her heart was in the right place , just not her thinking . Congratulations

2 Likes

I would be upset if she new or anyone knew not to say anything.

My dad tried to post something before I could. I told him to delete it!

She should’ve waited

No, didn’t really matter to us, it’s just an announcement. You can always announce your childs birth in your own words once you’re ready! They were just probably excited; there are far more important things to be worried about than an announcement & even bigger ones to be happy for. Just be grateful family got all excited some don’t even have that in their lives.

4 Likes

It’s one of those things where you have to speak up and ask them not to ahead of time. They’re in a different generation and this is how online etiquette is learned.

1 Like

Meh, I wouldn’t care :woman_shrugging:t2:

I would be upset. My sister did that to me and I lost it. It’s so disrespectful

I learned a long time ago not to sweat the small stuff. I save my energy for actual problems and issues.

4 Likes

My parents posted, but I had an emergency induction at 34 weeks and was on magnesium so I was all kinds of messed up. Also my phone randomly broke two days before I was induced and my new one came in the day after I delivered.

As a proud grandma I still always wait for them to post or ask first!

2 Likes

Nope. I made it very clear as well. I had a photographer come in and NO ONE was allowed to share photos or stats until I posted the picture from the photographer. All they got was they here and a picture of me and the back of the babies head.

It would irritate me at first, but overall, it doesn’t really matter. In 5 years, you probably won’t even remember or care. I bet she was just excited and didn’t even think twice. It’s just social media, and no one is going to care in a few months anyway. 🤷

1 Like

Oh heck yeah. I would be furious. She should have asked first. No one said anything about my baby being born until I had a nap, shower and food after she was born.

2 Likes

Yes and no. Posting pictures before me or the father did I would be pissed. But a status I wouldnt be.

Yes. I think its messed up that you even need to tell people not to do this before you. What happened to common sense and courtesy?

She should have asked you. When my daughter in law had her baby, she asked that we not post anything until after she did.

Dont bother me. She is a grandmother why should she not be able to Express her excitement.

1 Like

No, they’re page is different from yours. They’re excited. Not something to get mad about. I’d be glad they’re excited about the baby. Trust, there are more important things in life to get worked up over.

3 Likes

My mother in law did it to me and I’ll never forget it. It was right after I gave birth and being my first I felt like I missed that opportunity to show how proud I was of myself before anybody else got to.

2 Likes

One time I just posted the picture with no name, sex, or other information.

I was to busy enjoying my baby to care what got posted.

5 Likes

It’s social media… Why does it really matter? I don’t get why people take things so personally as if it was some sort of attack instead of her maybe just being excited about becoming a grandma. If you asked her and she refused, that’s one thing but if you’re upset and said nothing to her then how could she have known it would be an issue? No one can read your mind and not everyone thinks the same way about things. If you don’t communicate your feelings, then you can’t be angry when others don’t know or understand them.

3 Likes

I would be very upset, it’s not her place to announce your child’s birth.

4 Likes

Did your family and close friends already know you delivered? If so then what’s it matter about telling social media friends. Your mum was probably just very proud of you and her knew grandchild and wanted to shout it out the only way she knew how. It was part of her being able to be part of the birth. If the rest of your family aND friends already knew, than thats what’s most important. I think I’d be somewhat disappointed I didn’t get to share first, but is it worth ruining the day and days after of what should be an exciting time in your life and ruin your relationship with your mum? 23 years ago…we didn’t have social media when my son was born. So we kinda relied on the grapevine approach. Js

3 Likes

I didn’t even tell anyone but my dad, in-laws, sister and a few close friends. I asked them not to say anything to anyone - so, for everyone else it was a complete surprise that we announced on fb…lol

With my third I was a little upset only because we wait till birth to find out gender and my husband slipped up and said he on the phone before she got to hospital lol so my mom posted first I was upset not now she was dieing to know the gender also my fourth I posted first alot of people didn’t know I was pregnant didn’t post anything until she was here my close family and friend knew

Yes. My family was told to wait until we had a chance to announce it. Although we my husband made the announcement rather quickly so no one else really had a chance to before us.

Me, no I wouldnt be upset, but my mom and I are super close.
Shes probably the only person who could do that without me getting mad about.

My mom has different friends than I do I wouldn’t mind. But, it all depends…

Yup. That’s not cool

Be happy that you even have your mother sound to do so. When I gave birth to my daughter (her name sake) she was not here. She died 5 years ago.

2 Likes

Nope. If you birth the baby you get to announce. Everyone else comes after

No, I wouldn’t be and wasn’t mad when someone else posted them before we did. Social media isn’t that big of a deal to us, but my friends absent brother in law did this to them and she was pissed. I guess each situation is different. If it upsets you, say something to her.

Yes, I’d be so pissed. 3 of my pregnancies my mom blabbed to everyone I was pregnant wen I didn’t want anyone knowing yet. (yes, I know, after the first time I should of just never told her til I told everyone else but I saw her almost everyday)I’m sure if she had Facebook wen I had my kids she would of announced it too. Very disrespectful

She is your mother, that’s such a dumb thing to harp on when you just had a baby. I wouldn’t have cared if my mom shouted on the rooftops or posted anything. I only have one child so if I’d have gotten upset by it I’d be upset forever b/c not having anymore babies.

2 Likes

My mom did. But she asked first. We were in the hospital for hours after the birth and I was completely exhausted. She offered to let everyone know that the little one had arrived (she was early too). I did my own announcement the next day after getting some rest. I had no issues with it because my mom was so excited about all of it.

1 Like

Yep I would not be too happy.

I’d be so pissed. You have every right to be upset. It’s your announcement to make first, not hers.

No, They are just as excited! I used to get annoyed with these things, But life is too short!

2 Likes

It’s not her pregnancy so yeah

Enjoy the baby and forget the petty stuff

2 Likes

I told EVERYONE! NO ONE IS TO POST ANY PICTURES OR ANNOUNCEMENTS UNTIL I DID. after I posted it was free game.

1 Like

It is just a parent thing and it shouldn’t matter, who does it it is done.

Not at all. But on the flipside she’s excited about the safe arrival of her Grandbaby. My friend was so excited when I had my lad and tagged us in a post. But I loved how excited she was and how happy for me. X

1 Like

My step mother did this to me and I was super pissed. Wasn’t her place to say anything.

That’s an incredibly silly thing to feel upset about.

1 Like

With my first son my husband posted first and then his mom, and then his sister who were all in the room with me, they took pictures of me holding him for the first time and my husband. I was too much in the moment with my new baby to worry about posting on fb. I also was hungry af so that’s all my focus was on. Did you talk to your mom before hand? If she knew it would have upset you then I’m sure she wouldn’t have done it.

Yea my mother inlaw did that too me… she even demanded I tell her everything before I tell my mom… claimed “granny rights” … same women who butted in the middle of my relationship with my childrens dad countless times… and the happily ever after?? Nah my ex was too much a mommas boy :woman_shrugging:

Lol went a little off topic… but I was the bad one for getting mad about that…

2 Likes

Yes, I’d be upset. Before I gave birth to my daughter I made it clear that me or the father would be the first to announce. I don’t think you’re overreacting or anything of that nature. Your momma didn’t grow or birth that baby. You did.

any which way da baby gona come

I would be royally pissed off.

1 Like

Yes. We had a strict rule that NO ONE was to make any posts before us. Even that we were going to the hospital.

If you hadn’t expressed that you did not want it posted before you did then yes I would be upset. But if it’s not something that you voiced your opinion on how was she suppose to know that it was not okay? She’s a proud grandmother and wanted to share the good news with all of her friends. With technology a huge part of our daily lives that’s one of the first things people go to when they have any kind of news they feel they want to share. If you did not set this boundary and flat out say no posting on social media then why be mad? It’s the grandmother! Not just a cousin or an aunt.

3 Likes

So glad I wasn’t on Facebook when I had my kids. Socail media seriously causes so many family issues.

2 Likes

It’s all good and she is so proud give her her moment you get to walk around prego and have the bundle of joy

3 Likes

Yes. My daughter used to send me pics and say don’t post it! She always wanted to post it first. She doesn’t say it anymore, I just know better. The child’s BIRTH is pretty big. However, I’m sure she was just excited and didn’t realize. I say just talk to her so she doesn’t do it again in the future.

1 Like

I get that everyone is excited, but stealing the spotlight is disrespectful and selfish. My sister did this to me…I felt like she ruined my opportunity…

People are gonna know anyways. They won’t really care who they got the news from. I bet your mom was just happy and excited and did not realize she was being “disrepectful and selfish” as you said. Forgive her this little thing and just enjoy the birth of your child with the people who love you both. Choose to be grateful instead of petty.

3 Likes

Yes, I don’t let anyone take pictures or put pictures or info about any of my kids unless I approve especially the birth of a new baby that’s the mother and fathers place to do so and nobody else…

I’m sure she was just as excited as you!!! Social media can tear families apart!

3 Likes

I totally understand why your upset about it bc you want to announce first but you still can announce it you way. Just be thankful you have your mom. I went thru my daughters pregnancy by myself and I wish I couldve had my mom there. Her granddaughter will never get to meet her. Its the holiday season get over it and be happy your welcoming a child into this world with your mom still here. 🤷

6 Likes

Not at all. Shes obviously proud of you and her new grandchild.

I would have loved it if my mom (who is deceased) posted how proud she was.

As another comment states life is definitely too short, I would take it as a compliment.

6 Likes

No lol. Why do u need to be the one to announce or post pics? I never got it I was ecstatic for people to share photos of my adorable baby lol I think it’s more of a seeking attention thing than a respect thing. Mom wants 100 likes on the pic of her new baby kinda pathetic if u ask me

7 Likes

Social media announcement is your business, no one else’s. I feel like posting stuff like births/engagements/deaths there is an unspoken rule that unless it’s you or you’ve given the go ahead to post such things, it’s a big no no. Yeah it’s only social media but it’s distasteful and disrespectful.

3 Likes

I say let the Mom post not the Grand mom. Or ask when is it ok to post first!

Yep!! With both my kids, I wouldn’t even allow their dad to post first! I made it very clear to everyone that I would be the first to post!!

Some may not think so, but I think if you want to make sure and be the first to announce, then you need to make sure and say that.
Man, grandma’s get so excited, and they dont think “oh, well I gotta wait.” Hell no, they go right away to tell the world about this amazing new grandbaby they have.

3 Likes

You are not alone.
It is disrespectful.

I would be furious and if she didn’t remove it cut access to the kids it’s down right disrespectful

4 Likes

This happened to me and I was FURIOUS. I spent a month in PNU and hadn’t even gotten to see my preemie in person yet (up in NICU) when she posted.

It’s a crappy thing to do, and in my case, totally intentional.

So from 2 past experiences, you can make your wishes known. It probably wont change what they do. Make a public post requesting people to respect those wishes. I went petty and made blunt comments on posts I wasn’t happy with. Sometimes with all the excitement people lose their minds, but all that really matters is that baby is loved and cared for.

1 Like

Ummm ma’am stop worrying about such petty things, its grandma being excited, I get maybe being upset for a hot sec but…yeah

Go enjoy that newborn baby, that time goes by waaaay to fast!

3 Likes

Happened to me as they asked me when i had just had morphene 15mins before giving birth to my son and then took 1st pics of him and them together BUT didn’t even bother to get one of me with baby or ask and then they upload it to fb announcing it to everyone when I was off my guts on morphene. I still to this day 18months later HATE THEM for doing that to me and taking away my 1st mother son moment for themselves and not even acknowledging me at all and knowing I had morphene so was not in the right mind state to being make decisions like that when it’s a parents excitement to be able to announce the birth of my first born son, not theirs

1 Like

I wouldnt think that much of it she was probably excited. And you could still make your post the way you wanted to. I might be a little mad if she posted photos of me on there looking a mess and in labor. But personally I wouldnt even be thinking about delivery etiquette I’m just trying to pop out a baby lol

1 Like

It depends did you have a discussion beforehand? And are you 100% certain she knew you didn’t post or tell others yet?

I wouldn’t be upset, but we didn’t have the social media then. My husband told family and his friends.

So glad my mom doesn’t have a social media account!!! But I don’t think I would mind. I guess it really depends on the person. Knowing I would have my child… well forever, I don’t think it would bother me.

Yes, not her baby, not her news until you do, she stole your thunder

2 Likes

My mom posted it before me but im glad she did because i was so out of it from my emergency csection and baby was in the nicu.

1 Like

Get over it and look beyond you. Post it yourself but grandma is absolutely ecstatic!

Be happy a baby is coming
You will have enough on your hands/ don’t try to control EVERYTHING otherwise you will set yourself up for failure

You will need grandma don’t ruin it

3 Likes

All you all saying get over it. SHE HAS EVERY RIGHT TO BE UPSET. ITS HER CHILD NOT THE GRANDMOTHERS. HERS. I WOULD BE PISSED

Did you talk about it before hand? I think it’s an important conversation to have. Most grandmas are just so exited. Think about how much you love your tiny baby you met moments ago then think about how that love grows and magnifies over decades of nurturing your baby. Then your baby has a baby! You’d be so happy so excited so proud and wanting to show the world what just happened. If you don’t talk about it before hand it never crosses grandmas mind. I doubt she did it to seek attention or steal your thunder. Or maybe she did because crappy parents exist. Depends on your relationship.

4 Likes

If you made it clear you wanted to announce it 1st then yes disrespectful. If not, not really.
I wouldn’t let it get to me though.
Its just social media.

2 Likes

Don’t tell anyone until you made your announcement, then tell them and if they get mad, tell them why.

I would be pissed. That’s something that should be done by you and your partner. Extremely disrespectful.

Yes. I made it VERY clear to all members on both sides that I was to be the first. First to announce the gender and first to announce the arrival. It’s not “petty” to do that. It’s YOUR child.

It’s a joyous time for everyone don’t let jealous get the best of you . Mothers are happy for everyone .

2 Likes

Has happened with both my kids my mother in law posted before i did

I wouldn’t be mad if she just announced that I had the baby and we’re both doing good or something along those lines. But definitely not pictures that’s going too far, you should always let the mother/father post the first baby pictures

1 Like

No. Everyone is excited.

Yes, but thats why i told everyone to not post before my husband and i did. I waited not only 10 months for this baby but we waited 10 years to have him. Its our special announcement, not anyone elses.