Would you expect your house to be clean before you moved in?

Call osha ,houseing in your city .

Yuk YES complain yuk yuk yuk

Nope! Definitely complain!

Def complain that’s unacceptable

Uhhh… absolutely. That’s disgusting

You are NOT WRONG!!Thats disgusting. Especially in these Covid times.

3 Likes

I am a real estate agent and the landlords I work with rented clean places. Sales just have to be broom swept. Except for bank-owned properties I have never seen a seller turn over a dirty house. I have to clean to my liking before moving in but that’s my ocd.

You have every right to be upset. I clean for a living and have clients with rental properties. I deep clean for them each time someone moves out. The only time this would be acceptable is if it was an agreement with the renter and property owner.

No your not. That’s gross! This is how they keep your money for cleaning fees.

Didn’t you check out the place before you rented it ? For if they showed you the place without it cleaned and excepted what you seen , shame on you but if they told you that they’re in the process of getting it ready shame on them and you should take the pictures to the office and demand they knock off at least half the deposit for cleaning services

I would be pissed and I would be handing in a cleaning bill to the real estate. Where I live houses and flats have to be clean

You have EVERY RIGHT to be

Idk where you are, but in the middle of a pandemic that’s a pretty serious health violation.

No I would FREAK. It should be professionally cleaned before any tenant moves in

Should not eccept it

I’d also contact the health department, the management company and ask the city/county what legal & other recourse you have. Find a lawyer who can write a letter for you, if needed. Often a letter from a lawyer is enough to get results without having to actually sue. I’d hire a cleaning service vs. doing it myself so you have documentation, a form cost receipt and outside witnesses as to the condition of the place.

BTW, your BF sounds like a slob and a jerk. Why isn’t he helping to clean up if “it’s no big deal“?

No, I don’t think that’s ok! BUT I would clean anyway even if it looked clean so to me, it wouldn’t be a huge deal but I’d definitely be mentioning it. Also, this is saying something about your landlord and I’d almost put money on the fact that this person doesn’t care much about his properties and I’d be looking for another place to live as soon as able

1 Like

My house was disgusting when we moved in, (renting), I spent hours on my hands and knees with a scrub brush to get the black off of our white kitchen floors.(Mind you I was 7 months pregnant at the time) Our white stairs were black, it was just gross. I was just so happy to have more space that I didn’t care at the time, but now I’m like, this place should have been cleaned prior to us moving in.

I would expect it to be clean.

That’s what we delt with when we moved into our apt in denver. They even painted over dead roaches!!! I was PISSED AF!!! Nothing ever got done about me bitching. They still took all our $$

Unless it’s a favor where sometime is letting you live there for free, it should be cleaned before you move in, no question.

I would take pictures to document and insist to be refunded a portion of your rent or security deposit to cover your cleaning time and expenses. If an agreement is reached make sure to get it in writing. You can also print the pictures and mail them to yourself. If you do not open them it it’s poor mans proof of date. You are absolutely right to make a big deal of it.

They did minimal cleaning on the house we moved in to. I spent all day every day for over a week deep cleaning everything before I would move anything or any of us in.

I would never move into such a place. Places are supposed to be clean when you move in. Ive watched enough Judge Judy to know that!

That just shows the character of the person. It should be clean no excuses.

I “vote” for
:heavy_check_mark: it should have been cleaned. Did you pay a cleaning deposit?

Definitely should be brought up to the people you’re renting from THATS disgusting

Absolutely it should be clean. Deep clean!