Your experience with Nexplanon?

Nexplanon was fine AT FIRST. Two years in my period stopped all together which was great. However I started getting crazy mood swings (I was already on antidepressants) so it was strange. I also put on 40+ pounds and I’m only 5’0 (I’ve always been pretty petite) I’m now obese according to doc. Anyhow I could no longer take the mood swings. But just an fyi I’ve always been sensitive to birth control. Anyhow I went to have it removed. Worst day EVER! I assume she didn’t numb me properly so at one point I felt her ripping through my arm if felt like she pulled a chunk of skin. She started to freak out I was in tears from the pain. She apologized more times then I could count. A Few minute procedure took over 30 minutes and lots of numbing and bleeding. When it was done she was out of there faster then I could blink. She really messed up. My arm was so bruised. I couldn’t feel my arm. Middle, ring, or pinkie finger for over a week. Then it went from no feeling to constantly being numb or like a tingle. And it took months for the little incision to heal. Terrible experience having it removed. Otherwise it was fine. Oh no sex drive either… forgot to mention that. After removal I went back to normal!

I felt so sick when I had it. I hated it and got it removed.

I love my negation im working on year number 5 had it removed 1 time and put back in

Had it for a year now, and only spotted for 2 days in the beginning. Nothing since then, and no other side effects

I had terrible tension headaches and migraines with the nexplanon and irregular bleeding.

I had it 2 seperate times and nothing but problems i bled non stop both times the first one broke and my muscle was fusing with it and the second one just was causing alot of health issues. I use paragard iud no added horomones and my period is normalized and way lighter

I think your husband needs to get over it… you’ve been through a lot. He’s lucky you’re still even in the mood for sex, how much can he really feel the string?

My daughter and I have had 2, currently on our 2nd insert, no periods and no other side effects. My sister had one inserted and constant bleeding so had it removed …

Ive had it 3 months. No major side affects. Ive had 2 “periods” 2 days of light pink spotting 🤷🏻
I hate birth control but so far arm implant has been ok.

Gained 100 pounds on it and had other terrible symptoms , couldn’t lose the weight until it was out of my body

I had nexplanon for 4 years & have not had my period since I have gotten the implant

I have the Nexplanon I have no cramps or periods but I did spot once that was it
No issues whatsoever

I have had the Nexplanon 3 times now. I never get my period anymore. They r gd for up to 5 years now instead of 3 years.

I bled worse and had horrid cramps with mine.

I bled lightly for 2 years after the first one… this time it’s been wonderful.

I am currently on my second. No side effects. No periods. No babies. 🤷

I’ve had 2 nexplanon’s and no period and no real problems. Only major issue I had was weight gain and reduced sex drive.

My friend got pregnant with the nexplanon

Get a second opinion on the hysterectomy

1 Like

U dont need birth control if your tubes are tied. I’ll run …to another obgyn

I had para guard same issues it acutely perforated my uterus​:grimacing: ended up in the Er first I just checked my string when I started bleeding and I couldn’t find them ended up almost blacking out thank god I was at my parents dad ended up driving me the ER horrible experience you can’t to be able to check and find those strings I promise :ok_hand:t2: I also had this surgery as well from same diagnosis I had a leep procedure then tubal legation :woman_shrugging:t3: no issues since I was going on for screenings every 3/6 months now it’s once a year the only time I have issue is when I’m pregnant cells always come back other the. That so far so good I did try a pill that was super low dose of hormones for this can’t remember the name though :woman_facepalming:t3: me and hormones don’t mix but you could ask your doctor OBGY about it

Sounds like ur biggest issue (if I’m reading correctly) is ur man feeling the string during sex? I say F- the dude and do what is right for you and YOUR health. Sounds like you’ve been through a lot already, he can deal with feeling a damn string!! :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

You could also ask for an ablation. I personally don’t like birth control, they fuck me up, for real. The ablation will last up to 5 years and you won’t have a period. They basically scrape down your uterine lining and it takes years and years to grow back.

I have it and love it. No periods, no period pain or any pain.

I’ve had it… loved it… worked great and stopped my periods

I had mine for a week and hated it… was pressing on a nerve and every time I moved my arm it would move and feel like I was being stabbed constantly with a needle… ended up in the hospital to have it removed because I couldn’t stay upright

Honestly, your husband just needs to suck it up.
Your doctor put you on the IUD because that is what the BEST option was for your situation.
Cancer trumps a freaking small discomfort to your husband.

My daughter has it and she almost never has periods

Nah don’t do nexplanon. All the horror stories count me out!!!

Is an ablation not an option?

I use nexplanon. On the second insertion. I had my period on the first one. No period second time

Hey a second opinion

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Your experience with Nexplanon? - Mamas Uncut

every persons body is different and reacts differently. I had a horrible experience with nexplanon. Had it for 7 months and bled heavily the ENTIRE time I had it, on top of severe migraines, and nausea. I got it removed, and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone but it could be different for you. Good luck.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat except for the cancer (I’m so sorry. I hope your doing well now). I’m on my 2nd IUD. The first one was great. 0 complaints. Second one was more painful then having my daughters, the strings my husband can feel even though the trimmed them, I have terrible cramping especially after sex, I had an ultrasound done to be sure it was placed correctly. I hate it. I’ve been looking into the nexplanon also but I’m not sure it’s a good fit and I fear having the IUD removed.

My bleeding was worse with the nexplanon. But everyone’s body is different. So you could try it and see. The other options would be the depo provera shot you get every 3 months or the pill. The pill made my bleeding worse too. I currently have an iud in but my vitamin d levels were low so I was having some extra bleeding from that apparently. But im wanting my uterus out too and my ob is wanting to try everything before she takes mine out. Mine warned my partner and I that he would feel the strings and a way to avoid feeling them was for him to use a condom if felling the strings was too odd for him

You had cancer and you’re worried that your husband can feel strings?!
Tell him to grow the hell up?

40 Likes

I had it for 9 years. I loved it. My periods stopped and most of the symptoms I had stopped.

2 Likes

Had implanon then nexaplon and now on my second nexaplon. My first nexaplon I had long periods with months and months between periods (at the end… probably the last year of three years… I never even had periods), miniscule cramps, less tender breasts. This nexaplon I’ve been bleeding for months now. I’m taking iron pills of my own choice. I haven’t contacted my doctor but my husband keeps telling me to. Bleeding ranges from heavy to medium and rarely light. Cramps not severe but they do happen. I feel like it’s affecting my anxiety, making it worse. Husband agrees. The reason for getting it was pregnancy prevention and period blocking but apparently my body isn’t reacting the same to nexaplon since I had my second child shortly before insertion. Currently thumbs down for me. Previously ten thumbs up. Currently thinking about removal but I’m scared to go back to the pill and wind up pregnant. Scared of IUD and depo shots. Probably going back to the pill if bleeding doesn’t let up. I keep waiting and my husband keeps asking how many more months of bleeding am I going to wait.

It was very effective for the 3 years I had it but my hormones were ALL OVER the place. I was very sensitive and often very psycho on it. My fiancé says I’m tons better since I got off it.

2 Likes

Ive had it 1 yr i get my period every month. And have bleeding or brown discharge when ovulation time. I did bleed for 7 weeks straight. Its different for everyone. Unfortunately bleeing is the most common side-effect.

I bled the whole time (a year)I had then nexplanon. I ended up getting anemia and eventually I asked to have it removed. My moods were off, it made me have migraines, it was just terrible. Everyone’s body is different though but I don’t recommend it, I’ve heard a lot of people with the same story.

I tried nexplanon and it was terrible for. Same thing with the iud. I had an endometrial ablation done and that has been the best decision. I also had my tubes removed and ended up with super heavy periods. The ablation has helped so much! I now have my period for two days and it’s super light

Absolutely the worst experience of my life. Bled HEAVILY for 8 months STRAIGHT. Made me damn near suicidal. Traveled through my body and had to have it surgically removed.

Try a progesterone based birth control( I had to do this before my hysterectomy after an ablation to help w heavy bleeds)

When I was younger and had an IUD my husband complained at the same thing that he could fill up poking him and I went back a couple times for them to trim it Brian I just had it taken out.

Hate it! Bleeding almost non stop. (2yrs) zero sex drive, hormones all over the place etc

1 Like

My daughter had it. Severe mood swings & gained around 50-60 pounds within the time she had it. She had it taken out.

I have had the nexplanon 2 times the first time I never had a period after I had it removed and had another baby I got it again but this time I have irregular periods but they aren’t bad periods like I use to have before kids

Had it and loved it, no.periods for me, occasional spotting is all

I was previously on the pill. My hormones were all over the place, I gained weight and had a lot of spotting. I’ve had the nexplanon since March and love it. No side effects. Only 2 normal periods since they put it in.

Bled all the time with mine had to have it removed I couldn’t even walk from the pain x

I’ve had it twice now, super affective the first time no periods then I had my son and got it again this time i have periods but they’re very light, I have breakouts I’m pretty sure are from it but other than that it’s all good for myself I get this one out next year and plan on going for a 3rd :v:t2::two_hearts:

When I first got the implant I bleed for 3 months straight then one day it stopped and haven’t had a period for almost 6 yrs! I love mine

I had the mirena in after I had my daughter and had to have my strings cut because my man could feel them. Trimmed as short as I could I told the dr that he could still feel them. Fast forward after the birth of my son I got the liletta iud. My dr kept the strings longer and folded them up and around and I haven’t had any issues :slightly_smiling_face:

If you’ve had a tubal ligation I’m not understanding the need for the IUD in the 1stt place. I’ve never used Nexplanon so I have no personal experience with it as the only IUD I had a was Paraguard ( the non hormonal BC) after the birth of my 1st. Every person’s body is different and reacts differently to hormones so I can’t speak as to what it may cause you. I’m just not understanding the NEED for an IUD after a tubal ligation. Sounds like PMDD to me which can happen after getting your tubes tied.

Tell you gyno to keep the strings on the longer side. They will curl up and your husband won’t feel them

Nexplanon worst birth control i ever had

Then nexplanon isn’t going to help with the dysplasia, the reason they chose the IUD (I’m assuming mirena or liletta) is because it’s locally released hormones. Depending on when the placement was done it can take a little bit for the strings to soften. It took almost a year for mine to soften then wrap around my cervix and my husband can’t fell the strings anymore. Sometimes certain positions are uncomfortable and it feels like he’s hitting the bottom of the IUD but we know it’s doing it job

I used it as birth control for 6 yrs. It never stopped a period. I didnt know it csused instantaious abortions or i never would have used it. It caused terrible cramps. It should have been removed at 6 yrs. It was working well so i didnt have it removed. It slipped and A yr later we were blessed with our only son Mack Andrews

Can ask for the ind in the arm

Love mine. I’m on #3

The string softens over time. That should help. :heart:

1 Like

TMI…sorry not sorry :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’ve had it for five years now… the first four I might have had a period or two, but that was it. This year I’ve had some random bleeding a few times. I don’t know if that was just due to stress since I literally rarely had periods before or something else :woman_shrugging:t2: I also don’t have any period symptoms ever

I don’t understand the 2 years of clean screening? I’ve had the hysterectomy myself if your not having more children why put yourself throu that. How old are u?

2 Likes

I have it now and love it. This is my second one. 1 or 2 periods a yr if that. So far for 2021 no periods. No cramping. Everyone body is different. Birth control shouldn’t be in any of our bodies but hey, its out there.

I had it and loved it. Never had an period or cramping. And it definitely worked.

Is it normal to not have a period when something like this happens? I though that was dangerous for you not to get your period. I’m going see my obgyn to make sure I don’t have cervical cancer. So I’m just wondering if thats normal to not have your period anymore.

I’ve had 3 of them. Well one implanon and two nexplanons. The implanon caused constant bleeding, but I was allergic to something in it and dropped over 100lbs while having it before they removed it. The nexplanon however hasnt caused any issues. I haven’t had a period since I got it! I love the fact it’s the most effective form of birth control next to abstinence. I also have PCOS, and it eases symptoms significantly.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about nexplanons but Lo loestrin pill makes the bleeding stop. Maybe consider that too?

I love mine. Im on year 2 of my second one. No spotting no periods no pain. Its wonderful

I love the nexplanon. I’m on my second one. The first I had removed because I decided to have a baby - but the first round my periods/cramping stopped within 6 months. I currently have one in and it took about 7-8 months for my periods/cramping to stop.
I also have PCOS and would have horrible bleeding and cramping - nexplanon has been the only thing to help

Love nexplanon! I had my 1st one in dec 2013 when I had my daughter and removed it in june 2020. (They were only supposed to last 3 yrs but due to last of insurance i couldn’t get it removed.) No period u until about Nov 2019 I think and I was pregnant with my son by aug 2020. I just had my son in June and got another nexplanon inserted. I feel like the healing took longer this time around but then again nothing heals like it uses to for me as I’ve gotten older. I’m praying I continue to not have a period like last time. I even specifically asked my dr about breastfeeding while on it and they said to go for it. Its progesterone based and works so much better for me than anything else I’ve already tried before. I’ve done patches, pills, IUD, depo, and condoms before and had really bad experiences with most of them. I plan on having my nexplanon removed in a couple yrs to try for another kid and then have another put in after that.

I had nexaplon and I was miserable! I know every person is different and bodies react differently. I bled and bled for weeks, would stop for a 3-5 day span, bleed another week, stop for a few weeks, back to bleeding again for several weeks. I was completely miserable. I had to have it removed. But it may work for you :woman_shrugging:t3:

Jesus how big is his John

8 Likes

I’ve been getting implanon/nexplanon since 2009 when I had my son, I used to have horrible cramps and would bleed so heavy. I haven’t had periods up until this year I got one every month for about 4 months I asked my OB and he said that can be normal but haven’t had anymore since. I love it, easiest thing. I will probably keep getting them until I hit menopause lol

I loved mine. Had it in for 6 years the first time. Took a break to have my second child. Then had another one put in. No periods no weight gain or loss the only negative side effect i had was my low sex drive. If I hadn’t chose to have my tubes removed I would still have one in. I have tried several different birth controls before the implant and It was by far the best option for me

I had cervical cancer. They did a leep and a DNC on me. After that I had the implanon put it… for 3 mo ths straight I was wither spotting or having my period. She had to put me on a low dose birth control pill to regulate it for a couple months. Stopped the spotting. So she took me off the pill and my body went straight back to spotting again. I had to get it removed. I now have had the nuva ring for the last couple of years. There have been a couple times he said he could feel it during sex… I take it out until we’re done. I put it back in when I “clean up”

My body rejected it, I tried two times and both times it kept falling out. It’s gotta be painful for your husband bc it was painful for me when it would fall out and the string kept hitting my leg.

I bled for a year straight. Horrible cramps… After getting off took a little bit but its better.

Bled for 8 months straight and got it taken out.
Hated it

20 pound weight gain in 2 months, cystic acne. I only lasted with it for 2 years I had it removed. Its only 1 hormone and I had it put in post pregnancy. It was convenient but I had horrible side effects.

I haven’t read other comments but I just had Nexplanon removed after having it for 2 years. I loved the convenience of it of course but I had 2 week long periods on it nearly the entire time. We relocated out of state and with covid and everything, I delayed finding a new gyn where I live now otherwise I would’ve had it removed sooner but I kept assuming it would start to get better if I waited it out. It never did. I never had any cramping or PMS issues while on it, just very long periods. I did notice an increase in migraines also. I switched to the patch for about 6 months and that was even worse. Definitely don’t recommend that. My last period before I threw the patches away lasted 32 days! And it caused me to have horrible anxiety and panic attacks too. I’m on a low dose pill currently which has been working out well.

Nope nope nope. That thing is the devil - Per my OB/GYN and personal experience. I bled for weeks and sometimes MONTHS at a time, and I was always sick and cramping. Once my OB took it out of my arm and my hormones got back to normal, I felt loads better. I now have an IUD and am doing much better, however, I understand that the strings are an issue for you, so I would recommend that you look into the birth control (Depo) shots. Just don’t do the Nexplanon.

I am not a fan of the nexplanon. I’ve had it for 4 years now. I had periods for about the first 2 years and they were normal, but now it has been 2 years with no periods. My arm is also now hurting where it’s been placed and 2 drs have said they will have to dig it out to remove. I’ve also never had issues with depression before and was diagnosed with major depressive disorder last year. If you have other options, I suggest exploring them.

I had impalanon for 3 years and Nexplanon the second time around, (for far too long and ended up pregnant due to not having it changed out.insurance reasons…it did well for 8years, I don’t recommend testing it that long…). All my periods were regular and lasted 3-4 days. No bad cramping

I personally would never use nexplanon again. Periods were very heavy, long, and very irregular for years. And then it was a nightmare to get it removed.

I didn’t have a good time with the nexplanon. I bled for the first 9 months constantly. When that finally stopped my cycle was erratic. I had horrible mood swings and made me crazy. I had to have it removed and go a different route.

I’m currently on my 3rd Nexplanon. I don’t get periods but I do occasionally get the symptoms and they’re hardly ever as bad as they would be before the implant. I haven’t had any nasty side effects and I absolutely love it! I don’t have to remember to take something everyday or take it out, and it’s a simple procedure to have it put in. When my son was 6 I had mine taken out to get pregnant with my daughter. Everyone’s body reacts differently to medicine, but for me, Nexplanon works.

Tell your husband to suck it up! You have cancer! Your first concern shouldn’t be his sexual pleasure!

I was not a fan of nexplanon. I had it for 3 years and had constant periods. I would only go a few days in between periods. They were super heavy and painful too.

Just like everything else in life its subject to change based on the individual. Personally I love it, I’m on my 2nd implant since 2014. However I know ladies who had opposite results. My flow is typically non existent but it does show up now and again, much lighter and quicker than ever before.

I’m not concerned with the effectiveness of it as birth control (LGBTQ representing!) more of a period relief but if thats a big concern I know you’re less than 1% likely to get pregnant.

I hope this helps and you do whats right for your body. Keep fighting :four_leaf_clover::muscle:t2::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

If you’ve found something that works for your body, have him compromise and go a little easier in the “romance” department. He will be fine!!

Had it in for 3 weeks and requested it be removed! I’m a positive upbeat person by nature and I felt really down all of a sudden. After a little research I read horror stories about the way it can affect your emotions & mental state. I had it removed asap! I can’t believe some ppl kept it in for years feeling crazy! I’m grateful I know myself!

I hated it. I had it removed after only a year because my period was going on 3 months long. I bled all the time and was miserable. I’d say feeling an IUD string is a small price to pay for your health.

1 Like

I bled for 8 months straight and my emotions were out of control with the Nexplanon

I absolutely hate it. It’s the worst thing ever for me. I get mine out in a couple months and I can’t wait. I have gained 70lbs, bled for over a year (then every other week), and my depression/anxiety skyrocketed.

1 Like

My daughter has Nexplanon and it’s worked well for her. Not negative side effects. Her periods are lighter to nonexistent and she doesn’t have the major cramping or pms she had

I have nexplanon. My periods come and go randomly. They come more than they go & I hate it. I also get anxiety attacks & it’s made me very nauseous at things I’ve never been nauseous about. I’ve also gained tons of weight. For me I’ve been wanting to go to my drs & remove it. Everyone is different though.