Your experience with Nexplanon?

I had 2 of them 1st was great. After my 2nd daughter got another one. Well 9 months straight bleeding. On 3 weeks off 1 week. Alot of weight gain I was 115lbs gained 50lbs so my short size and that weight gain I have blowing up. Got it removed started to lose weight almost instantly. It’s bad

I had it and I had it removed. I had nothing but issues when I had it in my arm not even a month after I had it in my arm it started shifting causing a lot of pain not to mention I gained a lot of weight I was always very moody my periods were very irregular I would not recommend this birth control to anybody

I had the Nexplanon for total 9 years. My first 3 years I had no period nothing period related, it was great. Then the 2nd 3 year one I had I maybe had a really mild period, every 3-6 months(been so long don’t remember if it was 3 or 6) and then thr 3rd one I had, my periods came whenever they wanted, sometimes last 1 day to anywhere to a month. Then it would stop for a day or 2, then it would come back. And then pretty sure I had hormal imbalance with it as well so I guess the first 6 years I had, I absolutely loved it! And had no real problems till my last one I had. There’s other options for birth control tho. And it all depends on your body, our bodies react to everything in a different way.

Mine was wonderful…I didn’t have any weird symptoms…my periods were gone for 2 years and came back…however…with all that greatness being said…
I’m currently 20 weeks pregnant due to a failed nexplanon

Everyone’s experiences are going to be different because every body is physically and hormonally different. Some people love Nexplanon some people its a living hell. Some people do well with Depo some go crazy. As much as it sucks, its all about trial and error. You have to find what works for you and your lifestyle. The only way that can happen is by talking to your OB (not Facebook).
My advice when trying new methods: dont let the doctors push you to keep on a birth control you know isnt working for you. Trust your feelings and gut. Good luck!

So how long has the IUD been in? I didn’t catch that if you said. Its takes a little time for the string to soften up. My husband felt mine for a few months after I got mine. It’s been about 2 years now & he cant feel it anymore.

1 Like

I’m on my 3rd one and have never had an issue with my period, it’s stopped completely.

1 Like

I’ve never had the nexplenon but I’ve th mirena and I am on my third one and I absolutely LOVE mine. No babies, bf never complains of it, and no periods, and no depression. I will say I developed headaches since the start but it’s worth it haha

I’ve been on nexplanon for 2 years and I haven’t had any problems with it most of the time my periods are very light maybe 2 days but they’re not Regular sometimes I’ll skip a couple months and have a heavy one but I’ve always been that way. Hardly get any cramps at all. I haven’t had any side effects so except for minor weight gain but as long as you’re eating healthy you won’t have that problem

I had Nexplanon, but then I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri. Neurologist believes it was caused by Nexplanon, so had to have it removed. There are multiple birth controls that are believed to cause pseudotumor cerebri so I wasn’t allowed to take birth control anymore… so after my last child, I had my tubes tied.

The string will soften up over time. Mine did at least :sweat_smile: I had nexplanon before and it made me crazier than normal, my hair was coming out, it was just over all not a good experience and unfortunately all women react to certain things like that differently. :pensive: I’d discuss it with your OB and see what they think is best!

First few months with nexplanon was horrible. Periods lasted 12+ days and during those days it would disappear and reappear. Now i dont have my period but my Gyn did say the first few months would be rocky. Ive talked to others who have had no complaints so i guess it just depends on your body.

I had horrible periods without a tubal. When I talked to my obgyn about. Tubal she recommended against it unless I had an endometrial ablation. I had the tubal and ablation. I now only spot for 1 day a month, no cramping, and don’t have to take birth control. Something to talk to your obgyn about.

Tell your husband to be understanding it isn’t all about him !

I had this problem with both my mirena and my paragard IUD’s. When I told my OB, they didn’t believe that it was happening even though there were little cuts on him.

So glad I’m not the only person to have experienced this with their partner.

I enjoy nexplanon. I haven’t had any issues with it. I have a period occasionally, but its not nearly as bad as if used to be. Occasionally I have a slight pain where it’s at in my arm, and did gain some weight, but most birth control has the side effect of weight gain.

I had the implanon (the version before nexplanon) and had zero issues. When it was time to change, I was given the nexplanon and I was such a royal b!tch on it. I also bled for 5 months straight. It effects everyone differently. I had it taken out early and just tracked my period. Haven’t had any form of birth control in 4/5 years. Best decision ever.

My first question usually is… does it make him stop? If not, tell him to suck it up and be understanding of the situation going on… I’m really more concerned about you saying you have cervical cancer and your GYN not wanting to take surgical action… have you been referred to GYN oncology?

I had no period at all for about the first 6 months after each insertion. Maybe longer. Then would have very light periods usually after that.

I’ve had it before no issues but I got it in over a year ago and have my period like twice a month since I got it in and about to get it taken out

Your husband should do a vasectomy then, no more complains :laughing:

I had the Implanon, before it was called the Nexplanon, and it was absolutely horrible! I had weight gain, no sex drive, mood swings, the only good thing I can say is that I had no periods but it was not worth all the downsides. I would not recommend!

I HATED nexplanon. I had it for a year and the entire year I had my period. It was terrible

I’m about to have my forth one and it’s been the best thing I’ve ever done. Periods are practically nonexistent and no side effects for me. But I know others who didn’t get on with it. Everyone is different.

I’ve had 3 implants 1st took away my periods for a year then they came back about 1 every 3 months my second put my periods back on track every month but had heavy bleeding and hormones were all over the place my third I’m on now again no periods for a year and now I’m at the beginning of each month easy period light bleeding lasting only a few days so no negatives so far

I am on my 2nd implant, no periods either time and no side effects for me! Like others have said, everyone is different. But the good part is, if you get it and hate it you can go get it removed and the hormones will be out of your body in 24 hours. (Or thats what my dr told me)

I had the worst experience with it. I had every symptom you can get. Non stop periods. Aura strokes, made me crazy, quite literally. I had mine taken out at a year and a half immediatly after I told her what was going on and my doctor scolded me for not telling them sooner. They were scared if they waited I would die because of how severe my aura strokes were. I had three of them which is what finally made me go in, in a week span.

It took my IUD string 4 to 6 months to soften enough that it wasn’t uncomfortable for my SO or me. It still pokes me some days but it doesn’t feel like fishing line anymore

My first year I had almost no periods. My second on I have had almost regular monthly periods, but they have been super light. I have had no pregnancy scares. I can feel it in my arm though and when I lay on my side. I have not decided if I want to use it again or not when it is up next year.

I loved the nexplanon for about a year! Regular periods, didn’t gain weight and felt great! However, after a year I gained 30 pounds out of no where with no difference to my life style. When I went to get it taken out the doctor had told me it had moved about two inches (which I knew obviously) but then he told me about one of the first cases of this… the ladies implant went to her heart (super rare) but… :flushed::flushed: she ended up being fine but it made me super nervous

I had my Nexplanon in 3 months ago and instantly stopped getting my periods and haven’t had any kind of side effect.Unfortunately not everyone gets a good reaction to it as it depends on the person and how their body will react

I had Nexplanon for a couple of years. I had non stop bleeding. It was so bad it had to be removed. It grew to my tissue and was super painful. Just my experience. Also, once removed you can get pregnant immediately. My son was conceived the night it was removed.

I’ve had nexplanon for 13 years. But it Works for me. I do get regular periods but they are pretty light. No weight gain, no crazy emotional roller coasters. You also have to remember that everyone’s body is different and reacts differently.

I had that I kept it for about2months cause I bleed for about 3 weeks and only had maybe 2 days of non bleeding …now I’m on an iud which I have bleeding but its not as bad but im also take a norethindrone to help lesson or stop my periods I have try this out for about 2 months and my last resort is where do a opertation that makes me stop bleeding but I won’t be able to have anymore kids …but I’ll still have all my lady parts.

For the first year I was bleeding all day everyday straight, after that I had a year of absolutely no bleeding, until I had gotten pregnant and l ended up miscarrying shortly after. And then ended up getting it removed early because I had started bleeding non stop again

I’ve had two! One when I was a teenager and one after I had my second child. When I was a teen I had a period for almost 9 months straight… it was terrible but after the 9 months I didn’t have one at all and had no problem getting pregnant when I got it removed. Now that I’m older and have one, I had very irregular periods for at least a year. It’s calmed down now and it’s pretty regular and not nearly as heavy. I definitely would chose the nexplanon over an iud but that’s just my personal opinion. I can’t take the pills because they make me sick.

I have the nexplanon. I’ve had it for over 4 years and I love it. No period at all. I might be a little more emotional around that time of the month. Very rarely I’ll have slight spotting but nothing crazy and is gone within the day

Nexplanon wasn’t good for me constant sickness, headaches, I’d go like 2 months no period then when I did have one it would last for 3 months plus.

Had this issue myself with my partner. I had the Paraguard and it caused that issue… I got the Mirena and I was told by my OBGYN that it’s better to keep the strings a little longer, because they curl up and won’t be sharp. So far we have not encountered any of those same issues.

The nexplanon gave me a lot of hormonal problems but I didn’t have any monthly visitors often. I would recommend to someone who doesn’t have mental health issues or hormonal issues.

I had it removed after just a year and a half… I was having my periods every other week, and very heavy. Once I had it removed everything went back to normal. Periods once a month 3-4 days. I have always been pretty regular. But that implant made my periods so much heavier and more frequent.

2 Likes

I don’t recall any specific side effects when I had the nexplanon however I became pregnant with it in and had to get it removed immediately!!! Good luck hun!!!

I used to work as an obgyn tech and I currently have the nexplanon. My personal experience with it has been good, I do get a period but only when I really stressed (of course :sweat_smile:) and it usually doesn’t last too long and the bleeding is pretty light. I’ve only needed a tampon twice since I got mine in May of 2019. As an ob tech I can say results are extremely varied. I’m not sure why they didn’t (or if at this point it can be done) but every one of the nurse practitioners and doctors that I worked with would tuck the IUD strings around the cervix so that it couldn’t be felt during sex. If it’s still possible I would ask your doctor to try that before I switched from something that seems to be working well for you.

I had it a few years ago & that’s was the only BC I ever had the list of side effects with… Mood swings, horrible cramping, back pain the list went on. After 5 months I had it removed

I had it after my daughter turned 2, kept it in all 3 years with no issues! No weight gain no periods. That was from 2013 to 2016.
I just had my second born and got it again. The healing process sucks for the first week because of soreness but other than that no issues

I don’t think she gave you Nexplanon that’s the one in your arm. So if your husband can feel your strings it’s a different kind. I used to have it. Which gave me horrendous issues but that’s another story lol.

May depend on your body. I’m a larger woman (6ft and plus size). No issues with unwanted pregnancy on nexplanon. Prior to having a baby things were great- periods were infrequent and light. Took it out, got pregnant immediately. Put in another nexplanon at 6mo postpartum. After I quit breastfeeding, I started getting periods every other week. Essentially my cycle was 10-14 days long and not 28. I’m getting it out this month because I’ve been having these issues since December.

Honestly if this is about menstrual issues and your husband’s comfort, I’d ask about taking the mini pill and your hubby getting a vasectomy. Mini pill is progesterone only but is only like 80% effective for contraception. (Alternatively, you could practice the rhythm method and take the mini pill and probably be decently protected).

Not with nexaplon, but had same issues. Got nova ring. Took about 3 months for bleeding to stop/regulate, but love not dealing with the heavy monthly.

I have uterine fibroids and had heavy bleeding and cramps. Had an ablation and best thing I could have done.

I’ve loved it! The only downside I’ve found is that at the doctors office when they put the blood pressure cuff on it hurts because it pushes on it and causes it to flex. But my periods have been either SUPER light or not at all, I go months without one and then have a light period for a week sometimes less. I haven’t noticed any weight gain, in fact this is the only birth control I’ve been able to lose weight while on. When I first got it in there were some mood swings as the birth control got into my body, but after that I’ve been my normal self!

I’ve had mine since 2019 and I don’t get periods. I’ve gotten light spotting maybe 3-4 times and that’s it. No cramps or other side effects. I love it.

I had it it for 6 months and had my period for 6 months straight. Also had HUGE issues with depression and always feeling down. Would try something different.

I had Nexplanon with no issues for 3 years. I went back in July to have it removed and a new one placed. This time around has been horrible for me. I’m overly anxious especially at night and have been throwing myself into panic attacks. Major fatigue and depression all the time. I’m not so sure I recommend it anymore

If you cut the strings too short, they are also felt. I left my most recent ones long and he no longer feels them. Never had nexplanon so sorry I can’t help on that!

Nexplanon, in my opinion is awful.
I only had it for 8 months but my moods were all over the place, I gained 25 pounds very quickly, and I had zero sex drive at all.
I know a lot of people who had non-stop bleeding but that was only my experience for the first 2 months and then I didn’t bleed again but got severe severe cramping pains once a month, just no blood.
Plus, I got the thing removed because it broke in my arm. Now I get these weird phantom pains in my arm where it was.
Would not recommend.

I had my period for six months when I had it implanted this last time (this is my third one) and then didn’t have a period for six months. I typically get a period twice a year and it’s WAY lighter than what they were before. However, they typically last about two months. I haven’t experienced an increase in my mental health issues but I did have a close friend who became extremely depressed when using nexplanon. So that’s something to be aware of.

Nexplanon was horrible for me. The mood swings, 2 week periods, hair loss, depression…. I had a horrible experience with it

I didn’t have a period on it, only thing that sucked was the weight gain, I gained about 50lbs on it. It did its job though and didn’t bother me much being in my arm.

I loved nexplanon when I had it. I had weight gain but it was worth having less painful periods that were basically nonexistent

That was the worst birth control ive ever tried with that i had my period 6 months straight from the day they put it in till the day they took it out dec 8 2014-june 8 2015 and i gain 50 lbs my period was so bad that i was going through pads and tampons alot in a day and it went in one way came out another end mind you ive never had a bad period i did this to just be safe so i didn’t get pregnant after having my son

I gained 30 pounds but never got a period and never got preggo (was pregnant from the pill lol) now I’m on depo and no weight gain!

Love nexplanon. No problems and better yet no period. Low hormones is a plus.

I get the depo-provera shot every three months and might spot once or twice a year that’s it and been on it for a year so far I have no issues with it at all you might check into it and see if you can get it

Yes to the periods and yes to the cramps. Been 3 years on it. Never did take my period away like the mirena did

I’ve had my nexplanon since January 2019 and it never messed with my period. Any birth control I’ve been on has regulated them actually because of my hormone fluctuations and the pill was a big help with my endo, I can’t use depo cus it onsets my migraines to hell…but nexplanon i recommend if your body reacts well to constant hormone release…I’ve never missed a period, only had it late once in almost the 3 years and it hasn’t made them heavier or lighter, all normal. The implant itself has migrated a little due to weight loss but even then there was no affect to my period or any ineffectiveness and when they implanted it I had a newborn and asked them to implant in a different spot than usual which they did, so I could carry my baby with no hassle, it’s the easiest form of birth control…it’s my favorite birth control tbh and my pcos likes it aswell, I don’t think I could ever do an IUD cus of the severity of the cramps id get without any hormone therapy…they used to be very unstable, very painful and heavy…lmao nexplanon ftw :sparkles::two_hearts:

Weird comment here… Have y’all tried switching up the position? Sounds like he’s also hitting your cervix a lot of he’s getting poked with the string at its shortest. There are positions that can help with that and ones that will make it worse. (I’ve had an IUD in for almost 3 years {it’s my 2nd one the first twisted and was awful however other birth controls don’t work for me} ) at first the strings are hard and hurt them like every other time, after a while (unless they’ve been cut too short to do this) soften and sit along the sides of your canal. After that it’s less often they get poked and it doesn’t hurt the same. Although there are times we’ve tried some crazy shit and he’s been poked… For the most part though after they soften it becomes harder to find them even for checks of your strings yourself so I assume it’s harder for their member to find them too.

Emma Pedroza Because birth control manages cramps and bleeding etc. An ablation would have disturbed the cancer cells causing a spread automatically which they were avoiding

I get 2 periods a month on this thing. Ill be trying the copper IUD here soon. My therapist recommended it.

It broke in my arm after 2 years and my arm constantly ached even prior to that. I went almost a year with no period then it just suddenly came back and would last weeks.

0/10 would not reccomend.

Yes i have had iud’s the string youre talking about is like fishing line… and if she cuts it any shorter the iud will become dislodged and go completely inside and in mt case the iud stuck to the uterus wall and it embedded there they had to do a dnc to remove it. But the tissues were so imflamed on the verge of infection. So they couldnt give me another iud cuz it was so irritated. And sent me home with the only birth control which was called the rhythm method. Well after all that thats when i got my son… iud’s are tricky and yes the string could poke your husband and be uncomfortable to be poked im sure. But which is worse no birth control and possibly another baby. Or maybe him possibly wearing a condom?? I couldn’t do any other types of birth control at that time cuz all the had was the pill. I myself im old, but if i were younger i think i would had wanted to try that depo shot. It stops your period eventually up to 3 months and you have to get another shot after that ever 3 months. 2nd choice i think i would had tried would had been the 5 sticks in your inner upper arm.but after the 5 years you have to have all of them removed.
I wish theyd come up with a birth control pill or shot for men. But so far ive never heard of anything for men… i hope what ive suggested helps a little bit. Cuz they didnt have shots or sticks when i was faced with what youre going through now… just hang in there…and your husband too cuz he may need to explore condoms. Cuz it wouldn’t be cool to be poked by fishing line at all… how big of family is he really wanting to have or could afford… that is always a question as long as your able to get pregnant…

After I got my IUD removed I switched to the depo shot, still no periods. & no cramps when my period would be due like my IUD. Not horrible either. 1 shot every 3 months.

My daughter had horrible issues with the nexplanon

If they trim it too short you run the risk of losing it

Weight gain psychosis lack of emotion control forever hungry and thirsty

The first time you normally bleed another but I’d you have it removed then get another then everything changes… it did for me and doc said it’s normal

I would change the position? Have you tried that? My husband is one to get into “routines”. So just make sure you try new positions until it works?

My sister had it and caused her to have her endometriosis

I don’t understand not removing ur uterus… they removed mine when they thought I had cancer

I have had my nexplanon implant for about a year and love it! I haven’t had a period except when I went in keto then I bled the entire time I was on keto (doctor thinks keto was too much stress on my body​:woman_shrugging:)but other than that I haven’t really had a cycle and it does it’s job on protecting me from having another baby! :joy:

I had the IUD and it causes horrible cyst ended up having to have surgery because of it. :-1: and I was always worried it would get knocked out of place or if I could feel my strings. Also would hurt during sex because of the cyst it caused me. Once an OB I had lost it and was looking for it for a good 10mins while I was getting my yearly exam. (That was the last time I went to her) so I’ll never return to an IUD. Lol :woman_shrugging:

Nexplanon. I have had it twice. The first time I had no issues. My periods were regular. My second round. I had very little to no period. When I did bleed it was supper heavy. Getting it removed took 3 hours and my arm was covered in bruise. I now struggle with infertility after getting the second round of Nexplanon.

I bled the entire time I had nexplanon. At one point I had Nexplanon and I was on oral birth control and still bleeding. I just had a total hysterectomy🙄

Edit: I just read some of the weight gain comments and was told my weight gain was just poor habits. Though my habits weren’t TERRIBLE I’d lost over 100lbs and was approx 150 when I had it done. I did have weight gain and not 1 or 2 pounds.

I’ve had the nexplanon no problems with it. It actually made my periods lighter.

This is my 3rd nexplanon and so far no issues for me.

I had nexplanon inserted in March of this year. After about a month I started bleeding, and after 9 weeks of a period, my dr. Prescribed an estrogen pill to make it stop. I took it for about a month, and haven’t bled since July. :woman_shrugging:t3: The period issue was the only problem I had, and my obgyn seemed to fix it easily, so I’m pleased! She gave me refills and said if I get a period, after a week I can take those again and it will correct it.

1 Like

Tell your husband to suck it up. You have fing cancer and he is worried about the feeling of a string :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I currently have nexplanon and it is due to be removed Aug 2022. I decided to go with this method because I had horrible bleeding with my copper IUD. Pills were inconsistent and I would get frequent yeast infections with Nuvaring. So far this has been the best method for me. I do have monthly periods that last for 4-7 days depending. No major mood swings but I do have a decreased sex drive. Insertion wasn’t too painful either. Worth a try!

1 Like

I would be more concerned with finding a gynecologist who will actually treat the issues you are experiencing rather than masking them with artificial hormones that are know carcinogens and known to make many forms of cancer experienced primarily by women even worse. The United States is one of the only countries that buries symptoms in hormonal birth control instead of finding the root of the problem and fixing it.

My husband could also feel it and it was actually the device that was coming down and hurting him

My experience, it was horrible! I had it for about a year and bled for 90% of it. With only one week without. The person that put it in didn’t take it out so I needed to get it taken out because with me bleeding so much, I started to feel sick and very lightheaded. The doctor that put it in refused and I couldn’t find anybody to take it out, I took matters in my own hands and took it out myself. After about a month, I was fine and back to normal.

I love mine! At first it made my period go away for 6 months which I loved but now it’s monthly again. It’s also helped with period cramps and made it way lighter and shorter thankfully. But every body is different and it can make your period last longer/be heavier for some. You won’t know til you try it for some months and decide to keep it or try another kind.

The nexplnon is seriously different with everyone who try it
My sister’s all had problems with it
On the other hand I’m on my second implant
I have gained some weight and get mean when it’s "that time "
When I do get it
I can go months without a period
Only once I bleed a whole month but hasn’t happened again
I don’t want mine anymore but I hear so many crazy stories about all the other birthcontrol stuff

I had it in high school about 8-10 years ago. My period left for 10 months , I got it out and it returned the next month as normal. No side effects for me though.

Your string will soften after awhile and it shouldn’t hurt

1 Like

Had it when I was 15 for 3 years loved it completely stopped my period and no other side effects booked in to get it again this month praying it does the same

It was effective. But it caused me to have cysts on my ovaries that eventually burst. I had occasional periods.

It didnt stop my periods. I had it for 8 years. You HAVE to make sure it gets inserted properly. I had to get mine surgically removed because it was put in to deep & I think I’ll have long term effects In my arm because it was so deep into my muscle, I still get pains in my arm from them digging deep to get it out & surgery was 14 grand. I switched to the depo shot because its just not worth the risk in my eyes !.

I had no period with nexplanon. Had it multiple times. Never got pregnant on it.

The nexplanon was the WOST birth control I’ve ever been on, I have tried pills, patch, shot, IUD, than finally the nexplanon and all I did was bleed ALL the time. I went in and had it removed after I got my tubes removed. My favorite birth control was the Depo shot I had no periods no symptoms of a period cramps bloating anything. I would never recommend the Nexplanon to anybody