AITA for telling my MIL I will not use used baby items?

Arrogance will one day make you wish you had ANYTHING… Very silly girl!!

12 Likes

Remind her about all the recalls on older baby items. Pick a few of the things she found you and show her the recall.

1 Like

I would just thank her and donate the clothes

3 Likes

:scream: This is insane to me. If you feel that have to many germs… Wash them… Just be thankful for what you get because TRUST ME, babies aren’t cheap at all.

If I could give you ANY advise it’d be to GET OVER IT. Grow up and be appreciative of what she buys your baby. Smdh.

21 Likes

think yourself lucky you have the choice to buy all new - many dont - if you dont want them give them to someone who does

7 Likes

Grow up be thankful used items are the best things. Sounds to me like your a goody goody that’s better then everyone else. There are hundreds of women out here that wish they had a MIL like that

17 Likes

I spent £800 on brand new nursery set never used gave it away . Would be classed as pre owned . I gave away a new mosses basket and next to me bed which all in cost 300 never used . I gave away my sons £500 pram which was used 3x max due to being in car . Nothing wrong with pre owned
If you aren’t going to use the items hand to them to something less fortunate and entitled

11 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Ever wonder why they say wash new items? Oh yea, because of germs, and chemicals on said items. Used items are probably less “germ filled” than the new ones to be honest.

I mean I understand wanting new things for baby, but babies need A LOT so a mix of new and used isn’t going to hurt your child. Having such an attitude you are willing to hurt someone and make them feel bad for what they buy your child is the issue here. So grandma gifts used items? It really isn’t that big of an issue until you make it one. I simply think your “reason” is ignorant. “Oh no germs” New items have more germs due to the process of getting them to the store :rofl:

Don’t be surprised when gma stops buying for baby and you find yourself in need one day. You’ll rethink this attitude.

23 Likes

Omg get over yourself :woman_facepalming:

9 Likes

Tell me you’re a first time mom without telling me you’re a first time mom….

22 Likes

Lol someone thinks they too good. :rofl:

7 Likes

Must be your 1st baby​:thinking::face_with_peeking_eye::woman_shrugging:t3::woman_facepalming:t3: Good luck with that​:rofl:

10 Likes

You are fortunate to have a MIL that cares enough to buy things for your baby. I didn’t have that as mine only cared about her other grandkids and made it very obvious. Your husband is right, don’t say a word and cause hurt feelings.

16 Likes

I shopped at a lot of thrift store for my daughters clothes or got hand me downs, my mom and a lot of people in my family bought me clothes from thrift stores or used baby clothes stores. It’s not a bad idea. Baby’s grow very fast.

3 Likes

Be grateful she is trying to help, she could be doing the opposite. As for not using used stuff that tone isn’t the best way to be with a baby. They are expensive and being thrifty is a smart way to be. If your worried about germs wash it or lysol it. When someone is doing something nice for you, best is to say thank you and do what you please with the item.

4 Likes

Bit full of your self arnt you, to good for second hand stuff, notheing wrong with second hand stuff, and the fact that she wants to help to buy things for her grandchild she’s had children before she know buying new can be a waste of money, you’ll learn yourself when you have had the baby

3 Likes

I understand how exciting it is to have a baby. I understand how wonderful it is to see your baby dressed up in clothing you have picked for him or her. I remember those times so very well.

Even with bibs and hugging diapers, babies make messes. At some point you will see your personally selected beautiful baby clothing become stained and there will be times when you will want to allow your baby to play and eat as babies play and eat. The messes a baby can make are unbelievable. How much baby food stains is also unbelievable. Your baby will outgrow clothing faster than you can imagine. You will find that there will be times the laundry gets ahead of you due to company that overstays, muddy playgrounds, exhaustion or illness. Those are the times when lightly used, second hand clothing could come in handy. Of course, just as with new clothing handled in the store by dozens of strangers, you will want to wash second hand clothing just as you would wash brand new clothing.

I kept some of my son’s baby clothing: little suits, special outfits that I had my son’s photos taken in, saving them specifically for his son to wear one day. You may find yourself doing the same. Even British royalty wear clothing handed down from their parents. It is a charming custom. Even if you reject it, I hope you can understand that some find this custom to be sweet.

Your mother in law is trying to be helpful. Please be gracious. Even if you never use the clothing she finds, one of your less fortunate or less picky friends may be able to use and may welcome that largesse. Please be kind and accept her purchases. Put the nicest of her clothing purchases on hangers in the middle of the baby’s closet. You will make her happy. You don’t ever have to put that clothing on your child. You will find comments like ‘the baby outgrew that outfit before I realized it’ will go a long way to maintain a nice relationship with your mother in law. Over time, your mother in law may ask what you need for baby. That may give you an opportunity to say you need personalized bibs, a personalized baby blanket, a certain kind of toy, butt paste or wipes or socks or baby shampoo or baby lotion or sensitive skin laundry detergent or small hand cloths for the tub and hooded baby towels. You can direct her, over time, to things that you need and will use.

Your mother in law really does care. She really does want the best for baby. Help her save face, even if you hate what she brings for baby, even if you never, ever put what she buys on the baby. It will make your relation go more smoothly, if you can be gracious.

Please don’t tell her you will never use what she brings.

Congratulations on the pending arrival of your baby. This is an exciting time!

Wipe it down with cleanser then air it out. Throw it in the washer. Grow up.

4 Likes

There are no words for this question other than Entitlement and you are so wrong.

7 Likes

Nothing wrong with second had baby clothes and baby items
Don’t be so ungrateful, selfish and self centered
Think yourself lucky

7 Likes

I get it. Especially if it is your first child you want the joy of picking items for your child. Going to the stores and seeing all the wonderful items available. However it’s not worth ruining a relationship with your mil. Instead of telling her you won’t use the items just say thank you and you could
Mention you have for us so much already thank you but we feel we enough to get started with baby.

Save your money for more important things. Deep clean the stuff she gets and get over yourself.

4 Likes

Oh wow your stuck up….certain things I get it but for the most part why are you going to complain about someone getting you stuff? You sound so shallow and picky. You and your baby arnt “above” used items. Especially since a lot of it is gonna get messed up anyway…Good luck on your shopping brat.

4 Likes

Buy your own shit since u so ungrateful

In my opinion babies/kids grow so fast and you never really get your money’s worth on clothes when buying new. Yes special occasions you’d want to buy new but everyday clothes buying 2nd hand is nothing to be ashamed of. My mother goes to thrift stores and yard sales and finds great clothes…I buy off Facebook marketplace and have gotten some great clothes…some like new.

1 Like

My mom did that with all of her grandchildren my ex sil used to say stuff just like you and it hurt my moms feelings!! Me and my kids we love going thrifting it saves me money cause you can find name brand stuff at thrift stores. Be grateful and stop acting so entitled

3 Likes

WOW! Babies grow so fast, that you will go broke constantly buying new! Nothing wrong with used, that are in good condition. You should be thankful instead of acting like a snob! You will find that all those new clothes will get worn once or twice before outgrown. Will you just throw them away, or give them away? If you save them for future children they will not be new.

5 Likes

Honey… you can wash them.

no you’re not wrong for not wanting secondhand items and don’t let anyone tell you, you are.
it’s OK!!! im phobic about germs and things like that, i didn’t want used stuff either.
if it was from my nephews or something like that, i would wash it and use it. Never from a garage sale or anything like that.

Wow talk about entitlement . Atleast hubby now knows your a selfish , think your better than anyone else kinda person . Seriously girl wake the hell up . This country is going to hell in a hand basket quick . Before long anyone of us can be on the street then what . Should be thankful she’s buying anything at this point . It’s hard for anyone to live now . Grow up .

1 Like

Geeeeeze, I would be forever greatful for the baby items!!! I DONT SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH USED BABY GOODS… I just think you are stuck up and maybe she shohld stop buying you things because you are very ungreatful… Its a shame… Give the second hand goods to a momma that would appreciate it… There is ppl out there who would love to be in your shoes… You are very gungreatful…

Most of the clothes my babies wore were not new,and I was total fine with that…Not one thing wrong with it…Most of their clothes were barely used…Wah them…I would never say anything to hurt my MIL’s feelings,be grateful that she wants to help

l get paid over $ 177 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 20153 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://incomeprojects25.pages.dev/

I mean plastic things are easily sanitized, but it’s certainly your priority. If you can afford it, get all new.

I don’t think you’re in the wrong. If your preference is to use new for your child than that is your preference. If you’re not going to use the items that she buys I think that it is better to tell her than to continue allowing her to spend her money.

1 Like

You are definitely being an a**

9 Likes

Honestly for the 1st baby I felt this way and every new mom I’m just assuming. After seeing how expensive stuff is for the 2nd child and on (if you have more) I lightened up a lot!! Lighten up. It’s not that big a deal. Be happy she is providing what she can from the goodness of her heart.

1 Like

You are RIDICULOUS! Washing machine will work just fine to rid all the “germs” you are worried about!! Babies grow and mess way too much to not use some used stuff, especially around the house or when they are sick! Quit being such a stuck up, well… :roll_eyes::woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yes, yes you are. Sorry.

1 Like

You aren’t going to catch COVID from used baby items, nor is your baby. Put it through heat treatment and wash it so it’ll kill anything else that may be living on it. There is no reason not to accept it. If you would’ve otherwise bought the pattern brand new then keep it! Honestly kids outgrow things so fast and when they’re older you’ll wish you would’ve saved money on things like clothes

Wow… all three of my kids have used EVERYTHING. My mother in law buys us thrifted things and I couldn’t be more thankful. I also buy garage sale and goodwill stuff. Maybe you should be thankful that she thinks of you guys while she’s out running around….you could have a HORRIBLE mother in law like you sound you’re gonna be. I would for sure let her know how you feel so she can stop spending her money on “germ infested things” you won’t use. Gonna hurt that poor lady’s feelings. :cry:

5 Likes

This post makes me wanna barf :rofl:

8 Likes

Kids are expensive and gross. The cheaper the stuff the better :rofl:

4 Likes

You don’t think those “new” items don’t carry germs? I’ve seen pictures of bedbugs on clothing at stores. Once it’s all washed it makes no difference. Baby’s and kids grow so quickly you will appreciate used clothing.

3 Likes

Wow. Get over yourself. Its expensive to raise children, and any and ALL help you get yoi should be grateful for. Don’t be so damn entitled. I bet your a “stay at home” mom as well and EXPECT your husband to buy all this stuff at high prices. :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

It takes a village now a days to raise children. I loved every time my mother in-law got my son things from thriftin especially because she didn’t have to spend so much money if it was new. Used items still have great life an if you clean just a bit it can go along way…:woman_shrugging:

Wow!! You must have been born with a golden horse shoe up your a$$!!! You sound like an entitled snooty female dog!!! Your MIL is trying to tell you something!! She is showing YOU how to save money!! YOUR husband is one lucky man I tell ya!! Keep up this attitude and you will be a single mother really quickly!!! One day you will struggle!!! People like you make me sick!!! KARMA is going to hit you!!!

1. Covid won’t be caught from a baby swing.
  2. Buy your own stuff.
    Baby stuff is expensive if you aren’t going to use used stuff then don’t expect stuff from others
3 Likes

Baby stuff is expensive I didn’t care where I got it new used or homemade just use a washer in very hit water with lysol antibacterial :roll_eyes:

No thank you on thrifts store stuff. Be honest with her and let her know that you appreciate the gesture but she should save her money.
You should not feel guilty for not wanting used stuff

2 Likes

Tell me your spoiled and entitled without telling me your spoiled and entitled……gross :face_vomiting:

16 Likes

Listen lady take the used items!! And stop being a ungrateful spoiled brat !! You must have a endless supply of cash somewhere… in this economy today I would take the hand me downs wash them really good … it must be nice to have someone who wants to try to help out with getting you stuff some people don’t have that … you need to get over yourself and look at the prices of sht today and I seen in your post it said you want only the best for your children… your children ain’t gonna remember the Sht that people bought them it is those that were there for them … 

4 Likes

You sound like a brat. Just sanitize everything and it will be fine. Baby items are expensive. It’s nice of her that she is buying all these items for you

4 Likes

l get paid over $187 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18591 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingearning293.pages.dev/

You act like sanitation of these item is impossible. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Lol you gonna be singing a different tune once you realize how expensive kids are. My first got everything new. My second was 8 years later so she got all new things obvs. But my twins came 2 years later and 70% of the things they used the first year were from their sister. They make this handy stuff called disinfectant, and washing machines. They’re awesome, you should read about them :grin:

11 Likes

I feel you! I did not accept used items for my baby. My friends and family know me and how particular I am. So, they didn’t dare. You could let her know how you feel. I am Queen of re-gifting. Bless another Mom with the things you don’t feel you will use and graciously accept her gifts so there are no hurt feelings.

1 Like

Short answer is yes, you ATA

2 Likes

You do know it is likely that new things have been tried on? That even if they haven’t they have been handled repeatedly? From the person who made them, to the packers, the folks who shipped it, to those who placed it on the shelves.

3 Likes

I love my branded things but I also appreciate anything anyone buys my child, my daughters godmother works at a thrift store and has picked up so many good quality items for her and I’d never ever complain! I would feel guilty her spending $100s on my child … all you have to do is wash them… there is a particular one my daughters godmother used for secondhand stuff.
Sounds like you’re just ungrateful and picky. Maybe you can afford branded things but not everyone else can and you should be appreciative they thought of your kids when finding these items.

3 Likes

Wait so you think the items with tags won’t have germs? Got it🤣 The answer to your question is yes, you are absolutely wrong for going behind your husband’s back. I hope you have your own “new everything for baby” money without your husband paying for it since you wanna betray him and be disrespectful. You’re lucky you got offered any help at all! Especially with the clothes, you are going to get a harsh reality check rather quickly the ridiculousnesses. Some items I could understand, but you are absolutely mind blowing.

7 Likes

Wow…ungrateful much?? There are 100 ways to sanitize things. Are you gonna just throw out everything your baby outgrows? I guess so since if you have another kid you don’t want them having “used” things.

5 Likes

Clothes immediately go in the dryer for 40 minutes on high heat to kill any bed bugs. You can then wash them. Germs gone.

Buy sanitizing wipes. Wipe down the items. Germs gone.

Germs also have a life span and eventually die. I buy my daughter used and new items. She wanted wellie wishers dolls, I bought 3 used and 2 new. I buy most of her clothes used.

4 Likes

Every item I had for my 2children came from thrift stores.

2 Likes

Let me tell you this lady you’re entitled that’s all.
She goes out buys things used or not
For you’re kids.
You’re husband should feel betrayed by you. Seriously just understand used is ok

9 Likes

The only item that needs to be new is the car seat. And believe it or not, baby clothes can be washed as well as other second hand items. Babies grow at an amazing rate in the first couple months, lots of newborn items are hardly used by the time baby grows out of them. It’s also been proven (:roll_eyes:) that covid doesn’t last long on surfaces; that’s how delivery of items was allowed during the covid lockdowns.

9 Likes

I was a little bougie with my first too, by the fourth one, you’re just trying to keep your head above water. :joy: Depending on what it is, there’s nothing wrong with used things, especially clothes.

What’s wrong with used items? As long as there is nothing wrong with the item I don’t see the issue. Everyone has their own personal preference but since ur asking opinions, yes, u ata. If u want all brand new items, then u buy everything. Not everyone can afford brand new stuff. Atleast ur mil is being thoughtful

You are an entitled selfish brat and I pray that baby turns out to be nothing like you

1 Like

It is 100% your right to use what you want and not use what you don’t want
If you truly won’t use anything used than she is wasting her money and you would be wrong to just let her do that knowing it’s wasteful. So no I don’t think you’re TA.
I use used items and some of them are my absolute favorite but we are also very thrifty and don’t mind doing a good deep cleaning. And that’s my right.
No one in here has a right to tell you you’re TA for not using uses items without also being TA.

1 Like

Baby stuff is expensive. She’s just trying to be nice and helpful. Babies grow out of things so quickly…

6 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with wanting new stuff if you can afford it. If you aren’t going to use the stuff, then yes you should tell her.

Everything has been touched, lol. You’re going to be so broke.

4 Likes

No, you’re not wrong at all. Your child your money your choice. As long as you are financing it there’s nothing entitled about having preferences. I didn’t use used items with any of my children and I have 7. Just understand your preferences may mean no one gifts to your children if they were planning on using used items. That’s OK too. I’d personally rather be honest upfront that I won’t use something than let people waste money.

2 Likes

Theres nothing wrong with thrift store stuff. Some of the stuff i got thrifting is my favorite. But you should tell her about it so she doesn’t waste her money. Everyone has a preference and that is fine.

1 Like

This must be your first child.
Respect your husband’s wishes and just donate the things.
She enjoys giving the baby things and probably can’t afford things new. You husband would be upset if you told her. I don’t see the point in telling when it would only bring hurt. So yes you are the AH.

6 Likes

Used stuff is fine. Especially clothes you wash them on hot and with soap and they’re good. Now car seats makes sense you don’t know they weren’t in an accident.
The “new clothes” at the store have been touched and possibly even returned. Soo you thought process has some flaws. Just donate what you won’t use and call it a day.
If she asks just tell her you couldn’t use it and donated it. It was a gift to you guys so you do get to decide what happens to it. Find a shelter they can always use items in good shape!

3 Likes

You my dear are a spoiled brat and need a little wake me up!! One day you will be thankful for used!!

9 Likes

You are such a ungrateful person – really do you know ow half the kids here don’t have grandparents and here you are have amazing one - that takes time HER time and buys YOUR child stuff - really and then what happens when your husband or a class mate gives YOUR child a use toy - better grow up or you be the MIL that won’t get to see your grandkids

5 Likes

Girl, buy some laundry detergent and lysol. Babies are hella expensive and you’ll be grateful for those used items when you’re broke and spending massive amounts of money on diapers & other essentials. As long as they’re not physically dirty & dingy, they’re fine. Yes, you’re overreacting. The stuff from the store has probably been exposed to more people touching them, coughing and sneezing on them, etc, than used items that have been boxed up for years in someone’s spare room. New doesn’t equal clean, especially when so many things are shipped in from overseas, meaning they’ve been exposed to tons of people through the manufacturing and delivery process.

2 Likes

For my first kid I had all new items but for my other children, I realized that thrifting was the way to go. The only thing I refused to get 2nd hand was their carseat.

1 Like

Your MIL knows how expensive kids can be. You’ll soon learn how little that newborn/ child will use things & that it’s a waste to buy everything new. Your husband is going to get frustrated with how much money you’re wasting for you kid to wear an outfit 1 or 2 times.

3 Likes

My kids rarely get brand new things. I buy a lot of used things, clothes toys and other things. Not only that but hand me downs are a big thing in my family. Nothing wrong with it. The only things I don’t buy used is bathing suits, once the child is out of diapers, and underwear and socks and shoes. My kids grow fast and it is hard to keep up with

1 Like

Everything has been touch or the person had covid while at work. Already exposing the set items. Everything has been exposed to covid new or used

But yes you are. That child is also your husband and he gets a say not just you.

2 Likes

Oh baby, just wait… You’re gonna wish you had those “used” items. Babies are super expensive and get more expensive every day.

1 Like

It’s your kid at the end of the day. These other people aren’t going to buy your kid anything that’s telling you to just take it. & your ungrateful & don’t even know you. :woman_shrugging:t4:. At the end of that day it’s YOUR child all these 100+ comments isn’t going to pay for anything to have anything to say.

But if you did want to accept the clothes you can it’s ALL up to you. If you don’t then you don’t ? :tipping_hand_woman:t4: some people just DONT want to.

1 Like

I mean inflation is happening you please post another message in 6 months and let us know if your still Ballin… lol diapers, formula, etc. And your worried about a hand me down outfit or shoes girl lol get it to gether!

3 Likes

I was a snob like this with my first… by my 3rd I was thankful not because I couldn’t afford new because I can but because you see how much waste it is to buy new for the sake of a few short months of use when that money could be spent on quality memories and days out. Good luck to ya haha

6 Likes

Sooo, if you have 2 boys 3 yrs apart, are going to start all over again and refuse to use anything used for your first baby ??? LoL

I used to be the same. My first born only wore new. I had hand-me-downs my whole childhood so I was NOT gonna do that. Then my second came along……it got expensive. Quick. You are too spoiled and ungrateful.

2 Likes

l get paid over $187 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18591 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingearning320.pages.dev/

You should be grateful.

You sound very spoiled lol. “Used things are gross,” so is your attitude lady.

8 Likes

4 kids and I LIVE for rummaging on summer weekends :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Lmao I laughed so hard at this :rofl:

1 Like

Do not go behind your husbands back. That is simply disrespectful in a situation that she’s truly not hurting anything or anyone. Honestly those clothes probably have way LESS germs than something from the store. BUT it’s your choice. Just thank her for them then donate them. Simple as that. If she wants to spend her money trying to help you guys with the outrageous expenses of a newborn, what’s wrong with that? Just let her do what makes her happy.

6 Likes

Lol the fact that you think all those new items don’t have the same amount of germs as the used ones is hilarious :joy::woman_facepalming:

16 Likes

Honestly as a new born unless it was a family member that used it I wouldn’t use used clothing either… I bought my God baby all brand new stuff and did the same thing when my son was born.

1 Like

Ummm you are in for an awakening they grow out of stuff so quickly I don’t think you realize how expensive kids can be.as long as the clothes are in good condition and you can wash them in hot water if you are worried honestly I think you need to be more appreciative and stop being that way.

9 Likes

“Used things are gross”? What about the people that can’t afford brand new things? In this case, yes, you are the asshole. I’m not trying to be harsh but what ever, this one rubbed me the wrong way. You sound spoiled and ungrateful