AITA for telling my MIL I will not use used baby items?

You sound stuck up and unappreciative

9 Likes

Is this a joke? This HAS to be a joke nobody could seriously be this silly… right?

7 Likes

It shouldn’t matter where she got the clothes. Who cares if they are used or hand me downs. Be grateful she got anything. Stop being so selfish. Not like the baby will be in them forever. Grow up lady.

7 Likes

Must be your first kid. You’ll learn

12 Likes

Going behind his back is NEVER a good idea.

3 Likes

Babies outgrow clothing very fast. Why does it matter if it’s new or not as long as it’s comfortable? The baby won’t care. It’s also much better for the environment to reuse. If everyone insisted on new clothing, then landfills would fill up with baby clothes.

New clothing isn’t superior to used clothing. It’s also much more expensive. Consider this: maybe your MIL can’t afford to buy new clothing, so she buys second hand clothing. Is she on a fixed income?

Lastly, consider the precedent you’re setting: Do you plan to give your kids only the best new clothing (brand names) for life?

Personally, I’d be grateful. YTA.

1 Like

Are you incapable of cleaning things before you use them? If so how is it gro

2 Likes

Could you IMAGINE having enough money to buy everything for your kid brand new? :woozy_face:

Bleach exists. And so does Lysol sanitizing all purpose cleaner. And the reason people resell baby items is because usually baby items are so lightly used they still have tons of life left. :person_shrugging: If you won’t use the items she’s buying you, give them to someone that will use and appreciate them. We’re headed into a serious “recession” after everything. So honestly, I wouldn’t be wasting money on all brand new baby items. In fact, I don’t.

6 Likes

If you wanna go the “germs” way, I feel thrift stores usually have a less turn around customer wise than big name brand stores in regards to baby clothes. So less people coming in and man handling items. Plus you can always wash them in a detergent with a fabric sanitizer in them. Boom. Free of germs. I would assume you also wash all new clothing items before your child wears them. For bigger items like bouncer, Walker, baby swing, ect. Nothing a good wipe down with Clorox wipes on the hard surfaces and a bottle of fabric sanitizing spray can’t fix. Companies like Lysol make a fabric sanitizing spray. You just sound like a spoiled brat. Especially the part where you say “I want all new and feel they deserve the same.” Absolutely screams spoiled ungrateful brat.

7 Likes

It’s just you. Used baby items are fine depending on what it is, just wash it. It’s cheaper than full price and chances are, the things you’re wanting brand new, won’t be used past the first year so what’s the point spending a ton of money when you could spend a fraction and still get a quality item?

4 Likes

Wait until you start buying diapers and formula. You’ll appreciate those used things then

7 Likes

Uh how’s the view up on that HIGH FUCKING HORSE YOURE RIDING

Yes, the answer to your question is yes you are :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I think you need to really think about what you are saying. Used stuff is good. You clean it and use it and have extra money for other things. Besides what you buy in the store has just as much germs if not more then stuff from a garage sale

4 Likes

Yes. You are the asshole.

There is this beautiful thing called a washing machine. They even sell Clorox detergent. It’ll take those pesky germs right off. Babies grow out of clothes so fast, and you’ll learn sometimes used is better

5 Likes

That’s what a washing machine is for and many of the kid and baby clothes are in perfect condition. Your attitude is not good. You are ungrateful and a prima Donna. I can see not wanting everything used but for play clothes or hanging around the house who cares.

3 Likes

Wow. You are an extremely selfish woman. She may not have the funds to buy new stuff but at least she cares enough to try as a gma. Don’t forget, tables may turn and you might find yourself in a thrift store buying stuff for yourself.

7 Likes

Grow up! You sound rude greedy and selfish!

You will learn very quickly that buying everything new is going to be very expensive for the short amount of time your baby uses them. I would use anything she gave as the baby won’t use them for long and it’s far cheaper

7 Likes

I thought I was blessed when I was given all of the free baby stuff that I did with my first… Shit ain’t cheap! Just be nice, say thank you and don’t use it if it seriously That big a deal

You know hundreds of people handle clothes in stores too right? They really aren’t much cleaner. So you’re a huge AH for several reasons.

6 Likes

No issues with me depending on what it is. Used baby mattress, no, but anything else is pretty much fair game.

2 Likes

I straight up just told mine. I wanted new stuff and she suggested a few used items. I just told her no lol very simple

2 Likes

A lot of people are attacking you, and I’m not here to do that. I would however think about how your mil will feel when you tell her. She is doing something she thinks is sweet and she is obviously excited for this little one. You may ruin the relationship you have with her. If you had told her before she bought you stuff or the first time it would be different.

1 Like

Some kids wouldn’t have clothes if they weren’t used, grow up!!

7 Likes

The way they grow outta things so quickly going used saves lots of money, I used to enjoy mom sales and thrift stores. Save the brand new until they can appreciate ir

6 Likes

Wow must be nice to have that kind of money for all new baby items. Baby’s grow quickly why spend the money on new when you can get almost all used items almost brand new and sometimes things are brand new. Plus all that money saved can actually be used for what will be needed… the cost of labor, childcare, you know all the things you can’t buy used.

3 Likes

I understand certain items like pacifiers, teething toys, knit blankets, like the stuff that you can’t really clean & then just explain like baby has no immune system so you want to be super careful. But if it’s it’s other stuff i wouldn’t worry too much.
BUT i get it - it’s you’re first. It’ll change for the second lol.
Just kindly tell her this is ur first baby & you’re just extra cautious she might understand. You can also just tell her to buy older size clothes like 1 year up &save them till child turns that age. Cause I’m sure you’ll change ur mind on hand me downs after that :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Really? You are being ridiculous. There is nothing wrong w used baby items as long as they haven’t been recalled. Buckle up you are in for a rough ride if you are ready freaking out over reusing baby items…

5 Likes

You sound like an entitled asshole. Kids outgrow clothes and toys in weeks and you’re going to waste money on new things no one cares about but you only to get maybe a couple uses out of? If you’re having kids there are many other better uses for that money.

This must be your first😂

7 Likes

except the stuff your Mother In Law gives you, box it up and donate it. I know many Mother’s don’t want prior used items for their children and that’s okay.

1 Like

U jus dnt kno the STRUGGLE YET…

3 Likes

Definitely you are the A-hole
Babies grow fast so there is little wear and tear on furniture blankets bottles sheets clothing cloth diapers etc are all cleanable and able to be sanitized
In today’s world and economy why would you waste it?
Time to grow up. Take what is being given and use it. A couple new items is all you really need and will probably get as gifts anyways.

4 Likes

You’re a real winner.

2 Likes

My mom had used stuff for my son,a whole room before he was born at her house. I didn’t mind. And then she was bringing stuff to my house as well. I had bought the crib, changing table and a few things myself. I didn’t mind my son having used items, I bought somethings myself off eBay. Single parent first time Mom I was not picky. So, please don’t tell her she’s wasting her money, those might actually come in handy one day

3 Likes

My kid’s are 6 and 7 and I still buy them used clothes because they grow out of them so fast. Also they are just going to end up getting stained. I do buy my kid’s new clothes and shoes, but I don’t see the point of every outfit they put on being new and they are just going to get stained and dirty the same day. Clothes are expensive and I am thankful for the clothes that are given to me for my kid’s and no shame at all buying from thrift store. Saves me alot of money. Please be thankful for what she is getting you because those used clothes will be really nice one you realize the price of diapers, wipes, baby clothes, formula, and the medicine you will be buying and a whole lot more. You sound very ungrateful. Be thankful you have someone who cares enough and loves you and your baby to help you out. Not everyone can afford to buy new thing’s.

2 Likes

That’s how u save money. These things aren’t cheap and baby shit is only good for a month or two before the baby out grows it. I think you sound stuck up and snotty. U know hundreds of people handle items before they even reach the store. Everything I got was used intentionally.

Are you serious??? Someone is nice enough to think of you and your children and you don’t like it because the items are not brand new?? Smh. Talk about entitled and ungrateful! Plenty of people would be thrilled with those gifts. I almost always buy used for myself and I did for my kids sometimes when they were little as well. My kids loved to thrift shop with me. And today as adults, they are budget conscious and shop with brains. Did you known people donate brand new clothing?? I would not buy a crib mattress used or any furniture with cloth because of bed bugs, but clothing can be thrown in a washer and be good as new. You can even wash it twice if you’re that nervous. As my mom used to say, people in hell want ice water. If you don’t like the gifts, you don’t have to take them, but don’t be surprised if your relationships with your MIL and your husband suffer.

7 Likes

You’re TA … Sorry to say. But babies go through items so fast they barely get used if at all… heck some of the Second hand stuff you get may not have even been used. ya something you may want to buy brand new … but the majority of baby items can be cleaned and sterilized. I think you’re acting spoiled… try be grateful

7 Likes

So are you buying everything you need new ? Apparently not if mother in law is buying alot . Beggars cant be choosers .

3 Likes

Sheesh the entitlement…

6 Likes

You’re allowed to feel how you feel, and if you can afford to buy everything new, go right ahead.
But this is not the so-called “hill to die on“ with your mother-in-law. She’s trying to be nice and help, just box it all up and donate it. 

5 Likes

If you’re really that worried about Covid and germs, clean and wash everything before use (you should be doing that anyway regardless if the item is new or not). A big part of me thinks that germs and Covid isn’t the real reason… :woman_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

She’s had children she knows the struggle be thankful that she cares and if she picks out the best things to bring you that look close to New and it’s just clothing they can be washed that’ll get all the germs off. And evidently she cares very much for the baby. So just be gracious and thankful that she cares enough for you to do such a thing. You’ll see later how much everything costs and be glad she took these extra steps

7 Likes

Ever hear of washing clothes and washing stuff down. ? Save money where you can

6 Likes

I’m assuming this is baby #1. You’ll change your mind. :rofl: My oldest son(9) now thinks consignment sales are the bomb and had them marked on the calendar. Lol

6 Likes

LMBO.
Girl! You’re going to learn the hard way about saving money wherever you can. Embrace your MIL. She’s trying to help you.

5 Likes

Yep you are. Maybe that is all she can afford. There is nothing wrong with used things. If you are concerned WASH them.

3 Likes

Yikes. I would love someone to help me even get used things for my baby. You can wash stuff you know. Yes you are a the ahole

3 Likes

You suck, but if you want to waste money on new toys then YOU do that.

Clothing is ok I would say, because it can be washed.

2 Likes

Yep! Hugeeeee Asshole.

YTA lol. I’m assuming your MIL is retired. Probably living on a fixed income. She is buying stuff nonetheless for your child. Second hand children’s clothing is basically brand new. They get to wear it for 2 days and then they’ve already grown out of it. Your child will give zero fucks if their clothes are brand new. I’m also expecting my first child and basically as long as it doesn’t go into my babies mouth it’s secondhand. I bought a new breast pump, and new bottles and soothers, new teething toys, stuff like that. But the basinet, clothes, change table, saucer, and crib. Allllll secondhand.

1 Like

Everything’s gotta be new when your spending hubby’s money right? Nothing wrong with new things of course. But damn sure nothing wrong with nice used items as well. Someone is taking the time to buy your child something and taking their own money they could use themselves because they care and your entitled self throws it back in their face. Honey booboo if you sitting at home not bringing a paycheck home YOU don’t have a pot to piss in. Your hubby is providing for you. Show some respect.

Do you realize how many people wish they had that kind of help I would be greatful I do it all by myself stop being so ungrateful and wash the stuff

11 Likes

Give it a year of buying expensive brand new baby items, and have 2 babies, and then revisit this post. Also, you can wash the items if you are that concerned.

6 Likes

I mean you have a right to your feelings and opinions, but yeah your kinda the a-hole. If you want new items buy new item but there isn’t anything wrong with used clothes and stuff if you yourself sanitize them when you get them. I have mostly used things for my daughter. I’m using things from when my son was a baby and using things from my neice. I have grandparents buying at yardsales. I wash everything that I have with laundry soap and laundry sanitizer to make sure there isn’t anything gross. As long as it isn’t filled with holes or super stained it shouldn’t matter.

5 Likes

Except help when you can get it

2 Likes

Just wash or
Spray with Lysol if you’re concerned it’s so much better to reuse things rather than just waste them :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Really?

Anything that can be washed and dried is fine.

Anything plastic can be washed.

Also the sun is one of the best disinfectants there is.

Leave any thing, toys, furniture, etc that you’ve washed or wiped down in direct sunlight for the day.

Hang the washed clothes out in the sun.

Also most COVID germs as well as most other germs die within hours in hard surfaces.

The only things I might get rid of are upholstered furniture and mattresses, only because of bed bugs.

Bed bugs are impossible to get rid of in mattresses and furniture.

Anything else is fine.

3 Likes

Oh my you should be greatful she even wants to get things for your little one. Wash them WOW wish I had that kind of mother n law.

4 Likes

I love thrifting baby clothes and toys.

1 Like

Yep I think you’re being ridiculous but anyhow instead of hurting her feelings take the stuff say thank you and you can always give it to somebody else without hurting her feelings

11 Likes

Just wash them well and no harm , geez

3 Likes

Girl. GET OVER YOURSELF. Accept any help you can get. There is absolutely NOTHING WEONG with these items!! Have another 1 or 2 kids then see how you feel about “oh they deserve everything brand new” BLAH BLAH BLAH. Pardon my French but your kid doesn’t give a rats ass if it’s new or not so don’t put that blame on them, this is ALL YOU. Again, get over yourself and be grateful that you have a MIL that wants to help you.

You sound like an entitled brat.

12 Likes

You are worried about covid because something is used? Umm how do you think the new stuff gets packed up? You still have the risk of COVID form new items.

4 Likes

You don’t have to use it…but you could be more grateful that she wants to help. Baby stuff is expensive…and you will see. But if someone wants to get your baby something, be thankful!

7 Likes

I wouldn’t either don’t blame ya

1 Like

Yikes. Hope you got the job to go buy those things brand new. Let his mom help the best she can. She’s excited, and obviously trying to put in effort for that baby. Some people man…

5 Likes

You are entitled to your own opinion. That being said however there is nothing wrong with thrifts or gently used items especially if you clean/wash them before you use them. I’d be careful with your new is best attitude though because you might be bringing up spoiled and entitled children who might come to expect more than you can afford

7 Likes

Not only are you the a-hole in this situation, you sound like an entitled brat. There’s nothing wrong with used items. Wash & sanitize them, you’ll be fine. Be grateful that you have a MIL who is excited & wants to help. Hopefully you do not raise your children to be as entitled and spoiled as you seem to be.

14 Likes

Wow how ungrateful can a person be :astonished: Nevermind… I just read it above :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I can understand your points but Wow do you really have to be a bitch about it smdh I mean really … You can clean it , Lysol it , appreciate it and use it when she is around . I mean really … Or is it really just that you think you are too good for used stuff :thinking: In that case you need to start out the Convo with mil and first apologize for being such a snotty ungrateful bitch :rage: Just saying

Sounds to me you should be thankful. My MIL has never got my son anything in 16 yrs. All she cared about is the 2 granddaughters. My son was the 1st grandchild and she could careless about him. There’s nothing wrong with that. Watch it and sterilize it. The only things I wouldn’t use used is bottles, pacifier or anything that goes in the babies mouth.

5 Likes

I’ve always used thrifted items as well as new items for my kids. You can find some really great stuff at the thrift store. Just wash them. And fyi kids don’t care if it’s new or not.

4 Likes

Certain things I would not want use like bottles or pacifiers or anything in the mouth but everything else can be cleaned with bleach etc. If you can afford to buy it new then do it……

You are TA, not because you won’t use secondhand items, but because you probably hurt her feelings and make her feel like her gifts were not good enough for you. You could have simply said thank you and then donated the items to someone in need, many places are constantly begging for donated baby items for people who can’t afford them. You’re also TA for going behind your husbands back to tell her that after he didn’t want you to, likely bc he didn’t want you to hurt her feelings when she was trying to be nice. It is your choice to only use new items if you can afford to do that, that doesn’t make it ok to hurt you MIL feelings when she was trying to do something nice.

You are very wrong in your thinking

4 Likes

You have your opinions, and everyone else has their own. Me personally, I was never bothered to put either of my children in used clothes or hand-me-downs. They both still do from time to time. Replacing a whole wardrobe as they grow out of it just gets so damn expensive. There’s nothing wrong with used items as long as they can be washed/cleaned properly

Dude. I always looked for used before buying new baby stuff!! Babies go through things way too fast and it was such a waste of money (even when I had the money for it)! The only thing I wanted new was bottles, a crib and car seat! Then my kids all went through the same crib! And clothes?! They grow out of everything so fast in that first year that most stuff never got worn! I wish I could go back in time and un-buy at least half the stuff I bought!

Your MIL is doing you a huge favor!

6 Likes

Must be your first child lol

4 Likes

Speak your truth to her

I have news for you… the kids do not care if things are new or used until they get into school with other kids bragging about new this or that. Also, kids outgrow clothes and shoes so freaking fast during the first 5 years of life. You’ll be blowing whole paychecks on designer stuff that they’ll wear a handful of times. My 5 year old absolutely loves going thrifting, because she knows I’m far less likely to say no to something she doesn’t really need. Now, if you have plenty of money to spend on your kids and want to view it as an investment, go right ahead. But please, at least teach them not to look down on anybody for rocking their thrifted clothes.

4 Likes

my kids and Grandchildren wore and still wear thrift store clothes absolutely nothing wrong with that at all

2 Likes

Be grateful she is willing to get baby stuff! It’s honestly part of being a grandparent too. Now i will say there are certain things i will not let my kids have if used or bought at a thrift store or yard sale. Cups, bottles, pacifier, panties (when they are older) and i potty seats.

3 Likes

I remember having my first and saying I’d never get used clothes for her or used anything , then got married and had my 2nd and 3rd child , at first dad was like that , no used stuff for my baby he’d say, we were new in town with our second I had no babyshower yet , a mom in town brought me all kinds of baby clothes and items about 5 boxes !! I was so shocked most the stuff was gently used , washed it all and we were set to go , I was thrilled we saved so much money :moneybag: it was so nice not having to stress about being able to afford all new items…

2 Likes

Yes you ATA. Someone is trying to help you out and you just want to waste money on stuff that’s just gonna get broken, messed up and outgrown anyway.

5 Likes

Nope you don’t know where that stuff has been! Unless it’s still in the package of day nope lol

3 Likes

I completely understand what you mean however I think she’s just trying to be helpful and thoughtful so always make her feel appreciated. I would just kindly say you don’t mind this and this secondhand but you feel uncomfortable with having things such as dummies or bottles (or whatever).
I’ve brought new and secondhand and so has my mil. It’s really no difference especially once it is all thoroughly cleaned. :heart:

2 Likes

Wash it. Move on. Be glad she’s trying to help and maybe that’s all she can afford.

6 Likes

Did you know you can wash things?

4 Likes

My opinion is it is your child. As a mother of 6 with another one on the way I have a hard time looking at used items as well. I know how my children are with their things so I totally understand this fully! If you have the means for new things then don’t feel bad for not allowing used things.

You also have to understand, every parent is different. So most of the people who comment are commenting because they are offended. YOU at the end of the day are the parent and if that’s your preference that’s your preference. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad for wanting to give your child/children the best.

As far as your MIL goes, I think if you approach the situation appropriately and as an adult she will understand. But if she doesn’t then at least you tried to save her on wasting her money, and if she continues to buy used items that’s on her…. She knows you won’t use them.

1 Like

:person_facepalming::person_facepalming::person_facepalming::person_facepalming: kids grow so fast that using brand new when you can get used is almost a waste of money that can be used towards other stuff, now some stuff (formula, baby food, pacifiers and bottles) is understandable but you can wash whatever else you get second hand and I guarantee there are just as many if not more germs on the new stuff

1 Like

In my opinion…things are easy to wash. You know exactly what you’re washing them in. - I buy most of my things new but sometimes someone will give us something we need but don’t have and I would be so grateful. People are only doing their best and that’s all they can do. You’re entitled to your own opinion obviously as we all are but it’s not like she’s went to the dump and collected aload of crap and handed it to you. She’s just doing what she can. Like you’d be more pissed off if she took nothing to do with the baby. She’s trying.

2 Likes

Growing up I thought the same thing that if I had a kid I’d not want used stuff. But at the age of 16 I started babysitting all the time and we’d get stuff from yard sales and stuff. I’m now almost 20 and pregnant with my first baby and he has all kinds of clothes that has been passed down to us. You can find some nice things at yard sales and find good deals. The only thing I wouldn’t want to use from a yard sale would probably be like bottles and paci’s stuff like that.

1 Like

Babies grow out of things so fast, even baby clothes that end up in thrift stores can and very likely are brand new or maybe worn once or twice. I regularly find baby and kids’ clothes in thrift stores with the tags still on them.

I have been thrifting clothes for my kids since they were babies. I wash them (even the ones with tags) twice with color bleach and laundry sanitizer and double rinse. You can thoroughly clean almost anything you buy used and if you can’t, you skip that item. It’s super wasteful and cringe to be against using a perfectly good item in great condition bc it’s not gotten from a department store.

Your child literally will not know the difference or be harmed by gently used baby products. Certain things I can understand but to say anything anyone has ever used even once is off limits is pretty ridiculous.

3 Likes

Only things I wouldn’t use second hand - bottles, pacifier, carseat- anything else I’ll use second hand.

3 Likes

Straight up you definitely are the Ahole. Sorry not sorry. This is purely and honestly the most ridiculous post I’ve seen to date on here. You ma’am are a gigantic Ahole.

11 Likes