Am I a bad mom for not spending Mother's Day with my kids?

I’d ignore anyone who thought so negatively about me. Arrangements between you and your husband that you’re both happy with are none of her business.

1 Like

Nope. My husband took our girls and left so I could be at home alone :grinning::grinning::grinning::blush::blush::blush::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

I don’t think that it’s really a black and white situation. We all have our own unique situations. I have 50/50 custody with my ex so half the time my babe isn’t here. So I would’ve loved to have that day with her but it didn’t work out that way this year. I remember when we were together feeling so burnt out despite having help, once a week I’d have him take her out to the park or something so I could have some alone time. So no, I don’t think you’re a bad mom. I think we all need some alone time. In some cases that alone time is forced/not by choice but that doesn’t invalidate your feelings or your situation.

Let me get this straight. After taking care of your kids daily for how many years you got some alone time to do something you like to do? No cooking? No cleaning? No taking care of everyone else but you for once?

3 Likes

A BIG :fu:t2:to your MIL, from me personally. How ridiculous and toxic.

5 Likes

Your husband sent you out for a few hours for your mother’s day present. Don’t feel guilty. Her hateful comments are her being jealous, her husband probably never did something as nice for her. My granddaughter gets a spa day for Mother’s day from her husband. There’s nothing wrong with it. I hope you enjoyed your day.

1 Like

I spent Mother’s Day in Punta Cana … kids back in Canada … no regrets lol

3 Likes

I spent the whole day at work. I left before the kids were even awake. Having a day to yourself sounds like a nice mothers day gift :slight_smile: dont feel guilty

2 Likes

It’s your day to do what you want! You made those kids not the other way around.

1 Like

Tell your mother in law to go pound rocks. It’s between you and your family. Not her

And what did your husband respond and say back to her… ? the only acceptable response would have been ok if that’s what you think it’s time to leave because as a mother yourself you know Dan well thats a sh!tty thing to say. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

If your MIL is so perfect, why wasn’t her son spending time with her? She had to come to his house. She needs to mind her business.

Don’t listen to her this was your day to pamper yourself and relax, I hope you have a wonderful day :slight_smile:

1 Like

She does need to stay out of their business. Her spouse should back her up and tell his Mom he would rather not talk about his wife.

you mother in law sound like a nosey @#$%& , giving yourself part of the day is not selfish sometimes us moms need to recharge our batteries , i think it makes us a better mom, you cant pour from a empty cup my friend , thats why on an airplane they tell you to put the oxygen mask on yourself before you put it on your child, i hope your husband defended you to his mother

2 Likes

Girl nawl!!! For real!! It took me til I was almost 40 and seeing a therapist who is trying to engrain in my head that “me time” is an absolute necessity and every one deserves it. It’s Mother’s Day, and if your hubby told you to do it, then thats ALL THE MORE REASON!! I once went fishing for sun up to sun down, in a boat, away from everybody bc it’s the one day no one had a right to say a damn thing!!!

Don’t mind her. You spent part of day with them. She is probably just jealous

1 Like

Ignore her, she mad cause her husband never said that, don’t let nobody tell you about your family, not even the mil

1 Like

Super weird to say a kid made you a mom… their daddy did that :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Tell her to look in the mirror. If you’re a bad mom for not spending time with your kids why wasn’t she doing the same. If she has no words for that then she can shove it where the sun don’t shine.

No need to feel guilty. You deserved a day for yourself!

1 Like

:fu:t2:your mother in law!! Do you for a day​:heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Oh wow…don’t feel quilts it was Mother’s day we are entitled to enjoy the day any way we want…that’s why it’s called Mothers Day. …are children usually have us every other day…

Your mother inlaw should mind her business…you deserve to pamper yourself your a full time mommy do not feel guilty

So… I took a trip to Austin, TX to see my lifetime best friend last Friday thru late last night. (I live in PA) I NEEDED this trip… For my own sanity. I thank God everyday for my kids … Not just once a year.

5 Likes

It sounds like a perfect Mothers day to me. Its not like you went out early in the morning and didn’t see your kids, You spent the morning with them and then went and did what you wanted which is the way it should be. And you had dinner with them so well done, In my eyes you are a great mum as you spent time with the family and did what you wanted to do. Just Ignor the MIL.

2 Likes

Your monster n law sounds horrible.

The way I see it Mother’s Day is supposed to be YOUR day. Your day to do what you want and if that means a day away from the kids and you can do it then good for you. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad for that. We spend everyday with our kids and we shouldn’t have to feel bad for wanting to do something for ourselves one day a year.

You are not a bad mom for loving yourself enough to know you deserve self care. Your husband recognized that it’s something you needed and made it so you could do those things. That’s a beautiful thing that some partners don’t recognize.

Society has this major misconception that just because you’re a mom you have to sacrifice everything, your identity, your boundaries, and self worth. But the reality is you can’t be at your best for children and family unless you take care of yourself.

The fact that you care enough to be concerned that this is could be an issue shows your a good mom. Don’t let someone take that away from you :yellow_heart:

5 Likes

Mil can mind her business

1 Like

Sounds like you had a great day to me other than your mother in law making rude comments. You spent time with your kids & husband and you got to go out and pamper yourself! Enjoy what you got to do and forget the negative comment from your mother in law!

1 Like

You took a few hours to go out and get yourself some tlc we all need it sometimes
Don’t feel guilty

1 Like

I spent MOST of the entire day alone!

Daughter and youngest son spent the day playing at the park (check in every hour as we only live a couple blocks away and she has a phone) while the Hubby took my oldest boy around town to mow the yards he’s being paid to mow weekly (up to 5 so far)

I got to lay around, enjoy the peace and quiet, & watch MY guilty pleasure tv shows without having to hear complaints.

We ended the night with everyone helping to make dinner, everyone helped clean up, then we watched tv together.

Mom Guilt is the WORST… don’t beat yourself up beautiful…

And remind MIL that she done raised her kids, now let you raise yours :heartpulse:

3 Likes

Shame on her for not helping with the kids more often to give you some alone time. We can only be the “best” mom when we are able to be our best self. Sometimes that means taking a time out for you.

1 Like

Old ladies don’t like our husbands helping out because theirs didn’t help them. They should be proud of the thoughtful sons they raised instead of trying to make us feel bad.

6 Likes

Sounds wonderful!
You started and ended the day with your family, and took a little time out of the middle for yourself!
Your MIL is probably jealous :joy:

Nope not a bad Mom and who is she to Judge … do you boo

Sounds like jealousy to me. Just because you & hubby made your sweet kids doesn’t mean you get no time off. It’s suppose to be our day.

I think it’s rude she even said that. Our society acts like being a mom has to be your only character trait. It’s not true.

It’s these posts that make me so grateful to have the mil I have. Your day sounds perfect and balanced with family and your “me time”. Every Sunday I’m gone all morning until about noon (my me time gym and seeing friends) then it’s family time, we need our time to stay mentally healthy. It’s ok that our lives can be more than our title of “mom”, it doesn’t mean we love our kids any less. :purple_heart:

1 Like

Tell her to live her life the way she wants and you will do the same! Besides, her son sent you out for your Mother’s Day gift…none of her damned business!

Do not feel guilty this was your husband way of giving you A Mother’s Day of pampering !

2 Likes

Nope. I ordered tacos and drank mimosas and spent most the day chillin in my comfy bed watching whatever I wanted

You deserved a break!! Dont feel guilty at all!!

Tell mother in law to mind her own bussiness and not yours. No your not a bad mom

1 Like

Mother’s Day is how mom wants to spend it! So your mom should butt out! My mom wanted my kids to spend the weekend with her so I was alone on Mother’s Day it was my first time without them in 2 months. Moms need breaks & deserve to treat ourselves. Don’t feel guilty! It’s her opinion not a fact. Don’t let it get to you.

No, it is your day so you get to spend it how you want :person_shrugging:t2::sweat_smile: plus you started and ended the day with your family.

You are not a bad Mum! That’s so beautiful of your Hubby to suggest you have that alone time. I was away from my family doing what I love, crafting. I personally believe I come home a better Mum & Wife having that down time.
Typical response from a jealous MIL I’d say!

2 Likes

Why do moms care what MIL says so much?
Seems ro me that what your house decided you needed for mother’s day was time with your kids in the morning and whatever that entails, followed by some alone time for momma to do the things momma likes, (meanwhile the kids got to spend quality time with dad who’s usually working…win-win) finished off with a mother’s day family dinner.
Sounds like a great day for all

1 Like

Hopefully hubby told her that it was his idea and to stay in her lane an but out.

You have nothing to feel bad about your husband gave you something special,have you hubby tell her it was his idea

1 Like

My rule on Mother’s Day is it’s MY DAY! I don’t even go visit my own mother on Mother’s Day I spend it how I WANT! It’s the only day I can put myself first since I give my everything to my kids. I don’t care if anyone judges me for wanting that one day where I wanna be selfish for myself….My boys came out of MY BODY!!! I sacrificed and continue to sacrifice for them daily so I don’t give a :poop: what anyone thinks…. It’s my day!

1 Like

You have nothing to feel guilty about ! It’s your day :heart:

No it doesn’t make u a bad mom

Your MIL could just be old fashioned. She needs to catch up with the times. Considering you still made time with your family and then wanted sometime for yourself which is necessary (self-care), sounds pretty perfect. Have you talked to your husband about this? If not I think you should. Your MIL stepped over the line. She needs to be put in her place by your husband. Don’t feel guilty. You sound like a pretty terrific mom and wife.

1 Like

The agreement was between you and your husband. You deserve it momma!! Do not feel bad. Your kids are taken care of and loved. She’s obviously jealous to speak of you that way. Time alone or treating yourself should not be frowned upon! :blush: I bet your babies were happy to see you happy.

Please do not feel guilty, as a mother who can’t get a break, I miss doing things for myself. It’s important! You need to take care of you in order to take care of them, it’s extremely difficult to pour from an empty cup girlfriend!

Hell no!!! You are there day in and day out. Mother’s Day isn’t “ spend time with your kids day “ it’s MOTHERS DAY which means spend it how ever the hell you want cuz it’s a day of appreciation of all the BS we go through everyday. So if that means spending the day doing what you love then that’s amazing! :heart:

3 Likes

Don’t feel guilty at all you deserve that screw her for making you feel that way we are moms 24/7

1 Like

I can actually see both sides of the argument

As a Nan I would want to spend the day with my kids and my grand kids
But on the other hand
Is mom’s and nan’s need some my time

Sounds like MIL needs to mind her business in her own household. Don’t mind her maybe she’s envious she didn’t have the same opportunity during the raising of her children.

4 Likes

Nope. You had every right to go out and they wanted you to go and enjoy yourself. Forget her opinions on you. She is just judgey

1 Like

Get out and have your fun.

1 Like

Not your mil’s business. I think it was absolutely lovely of your husband! I’ll bet every day is kid’s day at your house, and you are a better mom and wife for having this small break.

2 Likes

I asked my kids to leave me alone this weekend… it’s our day to do with wut we please and if that happens to be without the kids, so be it

Hope you didn’t let your mother-in-law spoil your day. You spent time with your children and then your husband took some Dad time with the children. Works for you and him. Mother-in-law was out of line.

3 Likes

Nah she’s an ass don’t listen to her

It’s mother’s day not children’s day

2 Likes

No, you are not a bad Mom!
You are an excellent Mother!
Everything that you do for them day in and day out makes you a terrific Mom!
To take a day off and self soothe is highly recommended!
To heck with MIL!
Maybe forbid her to enter your home to visit for awhile.
There are no “Grandparents Law.”
I would not allow her to see the children.
Then she will not Judge you anymore.
My own Mother never cared for us children.
I also would never leave my children with her!
I am not going to argue with you all.
My opinion is based on my experience.

2 Likes

She just jealous. I would have loved to have the day to myself.

1 Like

Never feel Quilty for having timeout, you were you b4 a wife/partner/mum

Ummm
No way silly
Mothers Day is for celebrating it however you want
She’s a bad mom for making a mom feel bad on Mother’s Day
Don’t question it for another minute

2 Likes

As a mother and a mother in law, I feel she’s way out of line. Mothers Day is a day of appreciation. Seeing as your kids are still young and living in your home, and you see them everyday, do all the mom things, then your reward should be to get out of the house, and get some alone time.

When your children are gone from the home, then a day spent with them would probably be more suited to your wants. Not saying that you don’t like spending everyday with your kids. But your wants change over time. You want need that break anymore when they’re moved out.

Sorry for such a long comment.

1 Like

You are not a bad mom!! She sounds so toxic. Don’t pay any mind to her, just do you. You are doing a good job with those kids and you deserved having a day doing what you want/love. :purple_heart:

Do what you want to do on mother’s day.

This is why I’m glad my in laws are not in our life🤦🏼‍♀️
You have nothing to be ashamed of ! You spent time with them but as a mom how many days do you ever get to do what you did. She needs to mind her own :roll_eyes: bet she didn’t spend every minute of the day with her kids :woman_facepalming:t3:

It’s your life not hers. Ignore her suggestions. You know what’s right. If your family is happy you’ve done your job.

1 Like

Ummm no mothers day is a day if you can you need to take some you time. She can kick rocks

1 Like

Hahah you probably spend every single day with the kids…. You do what you want to do :ok_hand: it’s your day, mil is probably jealous she never got to do those things

2 Likes

Not a bad mum, you had some personal day. 1 out of how many

Omg it’s celebrating YOU not mean you have to be with kids. Honestly if I could have I would left the entire day to do things I love :rofl: spending morning and evening is a great thing. Don’t listen to her.

1 Like

She’s probably just mad cause she doesn’t get to do it!! Don’t feel guilty! You definitely deserve it! Us moms need a little me time at some point! Your a great mom!

What did your husband say to his mom when she said that? That’s what I want to know!

3 Likes

Girl if you don’t go and live your best life :fu:t5:what MIL talkin about!!!

1 Like

Everyday is Mother’s Day, we get one day a year to do what we want imo. Don’t feel bad, sounds like you had a great day. Let your MIL do her Mother’s day her way. I’m proud of you for taking care of you!!

Lmao well did she spend ALL day with ALL her kids from the moment she woke up to the moment she lied down for bed too? Seems like she’s the only one who cares.

2 Likes

Na. It’s your day.
You spent every other 364 days with them.
Tell her to shush

I’m glad you enjoyed your day! But wondered where you could get a manicure on Sunday!

1 Like

Wow!!! She’s rude AF!!! :unamused: no! Do not feel bad! It’s your mother’s day. Spend it how ever you please. Judgy much MIL! Tell her to kick rocks and go home! She’s obviously a miserable human and is trying to spread her yuck. Don’t buy into it! If your happy that’s all that’s important. :heart:

Sounds like your mil needs to keep her business to herself. Did she really say it though?

1 Like

Girl tell her Joan Cleaver ass to shut up

What are the Laws of the Kingdom of God?
Any kingdom, just like any nation today, cannot properly function without laws. There must be a standard of conduct for subjects and citizens to follow, or chaos and anarchy would result. Following the laws of a kingdom or nation does not grant a person citizenship - that is not the purpose of law. Law is simply a guide for people to follow to ensure cohesion, agreement, and peace in civil and interpersonal relationships. Without an understood standard, enforced by a sovereign ruler, everyone would act according to his own whim or desire, and nothing good or worthwhile would be produced (Judges 21:25).
The Kingdom of God is no different. God is not the author of confusion (I Corinthians 14:33). His Kingdom will be peaceful and orderly because everyone who will enter into it will have voluntarily submitted himself to the law - the commandments - of God. God will not have anyone in His Kingdom who demonstrates, by the pattern of his life, that he will not obey Him (Matthew 7:21-23; Hebrews 10:26-31). Revelation 12:17 describes the saints as those “who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.”
And a Pharisee once asked Jesus, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?” (Matthew 22:36). His response shows that the intent behind God’s law is love - love toward God, and love toward fellow man:
So Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22:37-40)
These two statements; loving God, and loving neighbor as oneself - encapsulate the first four and the last six commandments respectively. The commandments merely define further how to love God and love man. We love God in general by placing Him first, by not adopting physical aids in worshipping Him, by not bearing His name in vain, and by keeping the seventh-day Sabbath holy. We love man, in general, by honoring our parents, not murdering, not committing adultery, not stealing, not lying, and not coveting.
Now when Jesus Christ came, He revealed the spirit - the intent - of His law. He showed that the sixth commandment extends much further than merely prohibiting the taking of human life, but covers even hating (Matthew 5:21-22). Similarly, the intent behind the seventh commandment is to stop adultery at its source: the heart (Matthew 5:27-28). Following God’s commandments in both their letter and spirit ensures the best quality of life for everyone.
When Jesus was asked what one must do to have eternal life, His response was simple: “If you want to enter into [eternal] life, keep the commandments” (Matthew 19:17). To reinforce this, in His last words to the disciples before His arrest and crucifixion, He had much to say about keeping God’s commandments. He was giving them (and us) instruction that would not be absolved by His death:
“If you love Me, keep My commandments.” (John 14:15)“He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.” (verse 21)“If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me.” (verses 23-24)
The apostle James calls the Ten Commandments “the royal law” - meaning that it came from a King, and is worthy of His Kingdom:
If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well; but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. (James 2:8-12, emphasis ours)
While a man cannot earn entrance into God’s Kingdom - that is a gift that God must bestow (Ephesians 2:8) - it is plain from Scripture that willful rebellion against God’s standard of righteousness will keep a man out of the Kingdom:
Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you. … that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. (Galatians 5:19-21)
I Corinthians 6:9-10 includes homosexuals (catamites), sodomites, thieves, coveters, and extortionists in the list of those who will be barred from entering the Kingdom of God. Revelation 21:8 mentions that the cowardly, the unbelieving, and the abominable will not live eternally. Revelation 22:15 adds “whoever loves and practices a lie.” These examples show that there is a standard of conduct by which God expects the heirs to His Kingdom to live. After all, eternal life is more than just length of days - living forever would be a terrible curse if there were not also quality of life to match it.
Our Savior tells us what He means by eternal life: “And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent” (John 17:3). He defines eternal life as “to know God.” “Know” suggests a close intimacy, just as a husband and wife are intimate in marriage (Genesis 4:1). It indicates experiential knowledge, not theoretical. In Amos 5:4, God exclaims, “Seek Me and live!” He is saying, “Turn to Me and My way of life; seek to know Me,” not “Search for Me.” He is saying, “Seek to know Me by living the same way I do.” That is how experiential knowledge of Him becomes an intimate knowing of Him. We know Him, in large part, by living the same law of love that He lives by.

Mother’s Day. The ('s) means possession. So breaking it down it’s your day. If it’s your day then you have the right to do as you please. Tell her to find her some business.

4 Likes

A mother that takes care of herself is not a bad mom. Your mil can shove it up her a** and shut her mouth. She wouldn’t be welcome back in my house for calling me a bad mother for taking a damn day to myself.

Na mumma you’re aloud to have fun. And do self care IT’S WHAT KEEPS US SANE. :sparkling_heart:

& Just a quick tip .
You don’t DO NOT need toxic people like that in you’re life.!!!
Take a step back from her or she will really reap havoc on you’re mental health.
:100:

1 Like

Tell your mother in law to mind her own bissnus . Tell her to go back to her own house and stay there . Everyone does different things on mothers day its your day and you have the right to spend your day doing what ever you feel like .

3 Likes

She sucks! Mothers Day is your time!

3 Likes

First things first you must take care of you

It’s your day & your business.

1 Like

You were celebrating you so she mad she’ll get over it I hope you had a real good time

1 Like