Am I teaching my kid too much too young?

My son will be 3 in about a month, and he's a very curious little boy. He comes to the bathroom with me, he's always wondering what I'm doing (very normal lol) he knows what a period is because like I said, he's around for it all, but he recently just learned the word "vagina" and I felt it wasn't really a big deal. Until he started saying the word when we went to visit his grandparents. I don't think they really caught on to what he was saying, but I felt a little embarrassed. Is it normal for little boys to be saying these words so young? Or have I said a little too much around my child? My husband got a little angry with me saying he shouldn't be saying these words, because he is just too young.
276 Likes

He should know that word. Same with penis. They aren’t bad words. You aren’t teaching him too much. You’re doing great!
Tell your husband to grow up. If the words bother him then maybe there’s something with your hubby.

For a boy I would say yes he’s to young. But you’re not wrong for teaching them young. I think it’s more of the context that the word is used in, if a child is just saying a word because they know it’s a “bad word” that you don’t normally use then yes I can see where your husband would feel it’s inappropriate and want to correct the behavior. BUT at the same time you are teaching him the correct terms for things. I have a 5 year old daughter who knows what her private parts are, how they function and the context to use them in. Although I stopped letting my kids follow me into the bathroom after age 2ish because I don’t feel they need to see me use sanitary products, or see my aftermath in the toilet. That doesn’t mean they don’t need to know what their body parts are or how they function. Best of luck to you mamma!!

You’re doing fine! Teaching kids anatomically correct terms is a very good thing. That why if god forbid anything happened they can say, “Yes they touched my penis” or “I saw him touch her around her vagina”
If for any reason there ever is sexual abuse then the child can use the correct terminology that’s required for court proceedings.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Am I teaching my kid too much too young? - Mamas Uncut

My daughter is almost 3 and she learned all that at a young age. I’d rather them know early and be able to speak up if something happens than not know anything at all

16 Likes

I honestly think it’s best to teach kids what everything is called as early as they can comprehend it, without using other words in place of them.

22 Likes

Ask your husband this “Is our son too young to say the word belly button?” Because there is no difference, it’s a body part, just like vagina and penis. You’re doing a great job!!!

My kid has always known the appropriate words for genitals and about periods etc

14 Likes

Teaching children the proper name for body parts is super important.

9 Likes

I personally didn’t use those word when young. Once at school they learn that.

2 Likes

Penis and vagina are not bad words. I don’t know why people think they are.

It’s better if they know the words because then no one will be able to deny it if they end up being abused at some point in time. Or see it happen to someone else. It’s very good to teach them that their body is their body as young as possible! My son knows he doesn’t have to give hugs or kisses if he doesn’t want to and it makes a lot of people mad. But he understands it’s his body and he doesn’t have to share it. You’re doing a great job!!

11 Likes

I’ve always taught my girls from as early as they could talk the proper term for body parts

5 Likes

My aunt is a social worker. She says that it’s so much better for them to understand the actual names. So that way (heaven forbid :pray:t3:) anything happens, they’ll be able to say it right away.

3 Likes

My 2.5 year old knows the appropriate names for our anatomy.

:woman_facepalming:t2:

Personally I cannot stand when kids that are 9/10 going around calling it winky and peach :joy::joy:

6 Likes

It is just anatomy! I have all girls but they have always asked questions and I answer honestly. They know what rape and molestation are, they know if they are touched inappropriately they tell me immediately, they know what parts of the body are called.

My son was around the same age when I taught him the appropriate words. The doctor even recommended it incase anything every happened.

Theyre normal words and part of a woman’s anatomy
Important information and no reason to hide them from anyone.
My son knows vagina as he asked me do I have a willy too :joy::joy:

Yes it’s the proper term and IMO I think you’re doing a great job by teaching the correct terms instead of nick names for our parts. Just explain that talking about our private parts like vagina, penis, testicles, nipples in public or around other ppl isn’t a good thing to do and if he has questions to ask you in private. Explain the safe ppl it’s ok to talk about them to for example you, dad, dr, nurse. And other ppl like friends and family is a no

If they’re old enough to ask, they’re old enough to receive an age appropriate answer. It is good for children to know the proper names for body parts.

1 Like

I mean hes old enough to point out a finger, leg, eye
 its just another body part.

6 Likes

You should always teach your kids the proper names for all body parts.

3 Likes

It’s super important for your son to learn the correct name instead of calling it a biscuit or anything else.

4 Likes

It’s best to teach them as early as they can comprehend. That way they know their body parts and if something does happen to them they can tell somebody. My kids were around the same age when I taught them they also know it’s okay not to give hugs or kisses if they don’t want to. They don’t have to be forced to do that.

Before my daughter turned 2 years old she knew every single body part , definitely got some heat for it though :rofl: but it’s better for her to know it’s called a vagina and not a cookie or anything like that !

Me, way to young. What happen to letting a kid be a kid. Plus kids shouldn’t be seeing that !!! They should not be using them words! Of course a kid is going to walk around saying what words they have learned at that age!

6 Likes

i think he’s learning new words, this is new to him to he’s not aware of how its affects others, tell yuh hussy ease him up he’s still little but hell stop soon ,but
 he is getting older so i think its time to stop bathing in front of him as he’s getting more sensitive and aware of things around him inno

2 Likes

I think it would be better for him to know in case (hopefully never but) anything happens.

My son has just turned 3 and he knows the correct words for genitals. He either says willy or penis for his or a vagina or ‘Gina’ for girls genitals. I always said I would teach my children the correct terms in case the worst happens and they can’t get help because he calls it something stupid

What’s wrong with you, are you a child molester too. He don’t need to be hearing you say shot like that. Go ahead, teach the kid to go n get on '"*%¼ trouble in school, it’s all on you.

10 Likes

The correct name for parts is very important but explaining what a period is to a 3 yr old boy is a bit much.

7 Likes

I taught my children the appropriate words for their body parts from the beginning. I took a Child and Youth Worker course, and even in the course our teachers told us to use the proper terminology. It helps our children protect themselves.

We don’t chastise our kids for saying elbow, foot, leg, etc. It’s body parts. They use their words to describe things to us. I’m for it, but I think it’s a matter of personal opinion.

2 Likes

My daughter is 3 and knows her parts as they are supposed to be called and my son is 5 and he knows his parts by what they are supposed to be called as well. I don’t believe in nick naming or using a different word for the kids to say. They should say what they are and nothing else theres nothing wrong with them knowing

2 Likes

I would rather them learn from me than some kid at school. Also, it helps them to know the correct term so they can tell you if someone is hurting them. That was there is no confusion to anyone (police, doctors, etc).

2 Likes

My 3yo knows alot of works and speaks full sentences as well as body parts for males and females. I think it’s better to have an unfiltered version of life rather then shying my kid away from things even at a young age. Not mom or dad shaming ANYONE for how they raise their littles but I’m a very blunt and unfiltered person and my kids are already catching on. I would rather them be up front about everything rather them best around the bush about anything. Good luck momma you doing a great job :blue_heart:

3 Likes

Always teach the correct wording, so much safer for the little ones to learn! No nicknames!

5 Likes

Children using the words Vagina and Penis should be normalized. My daughter knows both words and meanings at age 9, but we use a replacement when speaking to others. I use vagina and penis in serious conversations with her. I don’t think kids are ever too young to know the correct terminology.

My son is 19 months and knows what his part is called. I want him to know as soon as he can the proper words because god forbid something terrible happens I want him to be able to clearly tell what happened.

1 Like

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with teaching your children about body parts. After all that’s exactly what penises and vaginas are. If they tell you someone touched their cookie or hotdog you might not fully understand what they’re trying to tell you. If you teach them the correct words for their body there’s no confusion.

10 Likes

Better to have them say vagina or penis instead of cookie and pickle (disgusting by the way). đŸ€·

Old enough to ask, old enough to know. My daughter is 2 and she knew at age 1 her butt and noone can touch except mama and dada. She knows dad has different parts but not the names yet

Nope!! You are :100: doing the right thing!!
they are just names of body parts! totally normal and nothing to be embarrassed about!

Ignore anyone who tells you otherwise!

7 Likes

Yes please teach your kids the correct words for body parts. I have always been open with my kids. My 4 yr old was just in the bathroom with me last week asking about my period. He is learning and this is all natural :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for teaching your child the real term. I don’t think it’s a big deal. My son is 5 and we’ve taught him correct anatomy terms and he loves the word penis :joy:

Child Psychologists have stated its never too young to learn, but there’s age appropriate ways at every age. It’s best to teach them appropriate terms young, it’s best to even teach them in an age appropriate manner about sex at a young age. It’s said that in the event a child is sexually abused it makes it easier for them to identify such abuse happened and tell about it too.

We really should be doing better about teaching our children about their bodies and bodily autonomy as well.

1 Like

My son is 3. He knows penis and vagina
because thats what they are :woman_shrugging:

My daughter snd son knew about penises and vaginas at that age. You haven’t done anything wrong.

5 Likes

Correct names for private parts are important at any age !!!

7 Likes

Teaching bodily anatomy is important. If something happens and they use cute names like cookie then it creates confusion. I also think it’s a bad idea to give off this idea that the name of body parts are some how bad. I remember when my 3 year daughter learned what p3nis is because our dog has one. She went through a phase where she announced what each person on the news had. She eventually got bored of it and moved on. Kids get bored when they notice know one cares

Honestly it’s better that he is taught these things. Know the correct terms are VERY important.

2 Likes

I think the period is a little weird like
 At such a young age but naming body parts correctly is important

3 Likes

Yes! Vagina and penis are definitely OKAY words to teach your children!

My oldest son is about to be 18, my youngest son just turned 3. Trust me when I say, boys SHOULD know about women, their anatomy, and proper terms. I promise, you aren’t making a mistake. My oldest son knew about periods, vaginas, etc very early on. You would be amazed at how many boys his age do not understand the woman reproduction organs. And to me, that is a problem. Open and honest is best
 You are doing good, momma.

8 Likes

Taught my 2yr old the proper terms, started around 18M :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

My 4 year old boy and 3 year old girl have known since they asked me when they learnt to talk that ‘A lady has a period to show there is no baby growing in her belly’ and have just accepted it as it is.
Maybe just explain to your little one that “do you hear other people shouting out 'vagina??” When he responds no just explain that is because it’s a private word to ladies
 bless him x

My daughter has always known all of the proper terms. I’ve also taught her that they aren’t bad words but there are appropriate times and places to talk about it. Because yes they will just blurt it out when they first learn lol

2 Likes

The younger they are and the more they know, the less sheltered they are for the real world. Children HAVE to know these things because you don’t want their friends in school teaching them that shit

My kid learned all the correct parts at like 2/3* yrs old

Nothing wrong with correct teaching
 but now sounds like a great time to teach respectful privacy.

6 Likes

It’s perfectly fine. That’s the correct term.

My daughter talks about her ‘gina’ around my parents. She’s 2.5. She has a little brother so I expect she’ll know the word ‘penis’ when she’s 3. I don’t think it’s a big deal. It’s important for children to know what their body parts are and to feel comfortable talking about them so that they can say if they are having any discomfort, experiencing any inappropriate touching or seeing anything happen to their friends.

2 Likes

I’ve always taught my kids the correct terms at a young age. My husband thought it was weird at first but then I explained why they needed to know and now he feels better

1 Like

I say the specific words “penis” “vagina” around the kiddos but I also taught them to say “gir/boy parts” as they got older and THEY learned to be embarrassed talking about it in front of other people. Dont be embarrassed your child knows the real words and terms, it is perfectly fine they know what to call them, and absolutely more appropriate than slang terms. If other people dont like it or have a problem with it, thats their personal problem.

I use the correct body part names 
 on both younger boys only thing is lately the 3 year old likes to say penis. And bum bum all day long

He’s not too young to learn a body part word. There is nothing wrong with teaching kids words about bodies. Especially because it makes it easier to identify sexual abuse.

4 Likes

No your not in the wrong. In my opinion I think its best (God forbid in anything happens) that kids know the proper name for anatomy. And of they are going to say it, they just learned something new and are proud of themselves.

2 Likes

The sooner they know the PROPER name of males or female body parts the better in my opinion. Its sad but we live in a sick world

4 Likes

My kids doctor told me a few months ago that they should be using the correct word for their body parts
my kids are 6 and 3

2 Likes

It’s perfectly normal. My kids learned early and vagina is what it is just like he should know that boys have a penis. Kids are learning earlier every year it’s our jobs as parents to give them the correct info before another child or adult gives them the wrong info. Your his mom and it’s your choice you birthed him so it’s whatever you are comfortable with.

My son is 4 and knows proper terms. He started learning when his sister was born two years ago!

It’s better to teach them the proper words anyways.

3 Likes

If that’s the case, I’m a “bad mom” my kids were fluent with the F word and knew when to drop it by the age of 2 :crazy_face::joy:

10 Likes

Nope. My boy and girl ask and I tell them anything they want to know. The more normalized they feel about body parts and functions the easier it is for them to tell me something is wrong.

8 Likes

He is too young to be using those words he does not know what they mean maybe he should not be going to the restroom with you anymore

7 Likes

No problem in my mind. My kids knew the correct words for body parts very young
we were both nurses
but I guess teaching appropriate times for use might be a good thing

1 Like

Proper terms at any age is better then pet names for them. I think your doing great and if some gets upset by it read them statistics about how knowing proper terms for body parts help protect our kids. Thats what i did.

5 Likes

It’s definitely 100% normal for children to know the real name to body parts. You wouldn’t question him saying ear or arm in front of others.
Kudos to you for teaching your child early and anatomically correct names.

1 Like

My 3.5 year old has known the word vagina since she was like 2 and she’s always spoke very clearly. Not ashamed at all, it’s good for them to know the anatomy of people. Told my 3.5 year old the other day about sperm and eggs because she asked about why I don’t have boys and I only have girl children.

They’re never too young to learn about bodies and everything!

Look my kid put pads in his diaper cause he thought I was just putting them in my pants lol. It’s normal

4 Likes

My son is Four years old and he knows what vagina and penis is
haven’t taught him anything about my period but I personally think the sooner the better they know the proper names of male and female body parts.

1 Like

Human anatomy hes gotta learn it some day

1 Like

My daughter knew young she talking to her cousin who is girl she eating peep like person looking by bottom up my daughter was like u eating it vagina so my sister in law call me I thought she made bc she thought my daughter was teaching her daughter about sexual act ( which she wasnt) no she mad bc my daughter said vagina I like that what it Is she like I know but I dont need my daughter knowing and saying that word :woman_facepalming:

People say kids are too young till they have to go through something like this :woman_facepalming:t2: #teachthemyoung :woman_shrugging:t2:

19 Likes

I’m teaching my 3.5 year old that he has a penis and girls have vaginas. They are never too young to learn about their body. Plus I learned that people who want to harm young kids don’t use the proper terms so when you teach them the proper terms they know something weird is going on

I taught my 2 sons as soon as they started asking questions I always told them the truth about whatever they wanted to know and if I didn’t know the answer I would ask someone else. I think because of that I didn’t worry about them having a baby too young one son was married and had a baby at age 25 other son had a baby at 26 They are 31&30 and know they can talk to me about anything and believe me we’ve had some uncomfortable (for me) convos. So mommy you keep answering your baby because if you close the communication doors they might stay closed.

Definitely not to young. Kids need to know vagina and penis. If anything which I hope doesn’t but if something were to happen he would know the right terminology. My sons have known this since they were young. But im also super opend with my boys

My 3 and 2 year olds both know penis and vagina and use them correctly đŸ€·đŸ» nothing wrong or embarrassing about knowing the names of body parts.

Anyone else remember that little boy from Kindergarten Cop who ran around saying “boys have a penis
 girls have a vagina” lol? I feel that it’s perfectly fine and normal for children to learn the proper names to body parts for many reasons. I get it can be a little uncomfortable when it’s repeated over again in front of strangers or other company, but as adults they should understand that he’s a child and obviously they sometimes learn some words and kinda get stuck on repeat with it lol

Hope this helps. My children (boys) heard it about the age of 3 and 5. So I happen to have had pictures of their births. So asked them if they knew what the word they were speaking “at the top of their lungs” meant. So I showed them the photos. And said that is where babies come out of their mommies body from. Told them it is not polite to scream that word, it is sacred. (They had heard it From some boys who’s mommy was a pharmacist who was helping someone who called about using their medicine). Children learn at their timing each one experiences life uniquely.

Not too young, after I taught my 2.5 year old she went around saying “gima” and pointing to it. I’d say yes that’s your body just like your finger or your ear. it’s a body part.

My kids (4&7) never leave me alone to use the restroom. So they know what pads & tampons are and they call my period “blood pee” and that mommies have it sometimes :laughing:

3 Likes

I feel like whatever works best for you and your child is what should be followed. I don’t feel comfortable letting my three year old use the “appropriate” names for body parts, so we have our own terms for things. But as long as you keep that line of communication reliable and consistent for your child, even if something were to happen in the way of ‘bad touch’, you and your child will be able to communicate effectively.

The big reason a lot of people push for the “correct” names for body parts is to try and protect them from something that may or may not happen, but if you can understand the psychology behind a predator, you can actively combat these same fears in a way you feel comfortable with.
That being said, if you’re okay with him knowing and saying these words, then don’t be embarrassed. He’s a smart young man that wants to know more about the world around him, and I think your approach to parenting is wonderful. :black_heart:

1 Like

I would be no help here, my boys 3 & 6 think babies come out your “butt” 
. & I have no intention of correcting them anytime soon :sweat_smile:

My nephew made up a song about his penis when he was around that age. Honestly teaching them the right terms and not making them seem like taboo is 100% good parenting. It’s anatomy it doesn’t need to be sexual.

Yes it normal to teach kids correct terms. My kids followed me into the bathroom all the time and new what a period was when they were young.

1 Like

I don’t see a problem with that.i think you should have talked about it with your husband a bit first but that’s not a reason to get angry. If a child isn’t told properly the right names they might not be able to tell you if something is wrong in the future. Body parts are body parts everyone has them. Every woman goes through that type of thing I don’t think it should be hidden.

1 Like

It’s important for young children to to know appropriate body part names. I attended a workshop years ago and there was a story where a 2 or 3 year old girl called her vagina “my cookie”, long story short she was being molested and had she learned the name vagina she wouldn’t have told her daycare teacher “my uncle ate my cookie last night”. Ever since then I’ve taught my children the actual names. If he just learned the name it’ll die out and he may not use that word until he needs too.

I mean I think it’s important for kids to know the parts (just in case something happens bc you never know) but I wouldn’t be teaching about periods and stuff until an older age. To each their own.

3 Likes

I’ve always called private parts by their name starting at birth :woman_shrugging:t2: They’re not bad words.

1 Like