Am I wrong for feeling upset my boyfriends kids forgot my birthday?

No one has to do anything special for your birthday. No one, especially a child, owes you or anyone a thing. If that’s all it takes for you to get upset then I imagine you have a lot more disappointment ahead of you… my own birth child forgot my birthday this year, and I would have never made her feel guilty about it. There is a lot more going on in the world than birthday wishes… I would spend this next year working on yourself so that by the next birthday you will have outgrown such silly things to be upset about… you are the one with the delayed maturity not the kids…

Happy birthday, I guess :unamused:

5 Likes

You guys have only been together a year an a half and they are kids…no way they remembered your birthday unless you talked about it all week. Hell….my own kids don’t remember my birthday lol. An they are 7 and 4. I would say don’t stress it.

2 Likes

My own brother forgot my birthday say I say no big deal

1 Like

I wouldnt expect children of that age to remember my birthday…its your bf that you should be mad at

1 Like

Dad’s job should have been to help them remember and say and do something special…they just kids

2 Likes

I’ve been married for 12 years and my husband only remembers because FB tells him or my Dad will call him. My daughter’s are 7&9 if they remember I love that, but I don’t expect them too.

It’s a little much to expect them to remember your birthday when they probably don’t think too much about what day of the week it is or even what month.

Recheck this situation. Bf should have stepped up for this

3 Likes

This is very petty & immature IMO. Let it go. Why would it even be worth fighting over? I would have felt like an ass for verbalizing it to begin with. You have not even been together that long and are not even married. If I was him I would RUN. He probably has started mentally preparing to do so. Just saying!

Kids are kids your boyfriend should said something

2 Likes

They are 8 & 12 calm down.

4 Likes

Good communication will always help you avoid bad feelings.
If it’s important to you, make sure you communicate it to the people you need to. Expectations are a funny thing, sometimes. If you communicate the importance beforehand and then they disregard, it’s OK to feel disrespected…

Can’t control but he could encourage them to say something…set an example by saying something in front of them. Show empathy that they didn’t remember. I think if he did those things then it’s not as big of a deal they are kids…kids are prone to only think of themselves…they need adults to teach them better. Sounds like are but he isn’t and kids usually take the path of least resistance.

It’s okay that you feel hurt, but I wouldn’t be too mad at them. Honestly I would be more upset with your boyfriend. If he cared to make a point to his kids to make you feel special on your day, he should have.

None of my kids have ever remembered my birthday lol I have 3 bios and 1 step and I don’t expect them too. It’s not their job to make my day special it’s my husbands lol but I have a feeling in a few years my youngest will remember since his birthday is the day before mine lol

LOL my husband has to tell my own kids it’s my birthday. Kids don’t care about your birthday. They care about theirs

I have kids from my own 12,11,6 and 7 months and none of them know my birthday lol get over yourself

2 Likes

Is this the same lady with the half porch? :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

They are children! I wouldn’t expect out of them at that age!

2 Likes

They’re kids, they usually don’t care to remember peoples birthdays. I would be upset with your boyfriend, he’s old enough to remember your birthday and remind them or at least ask them to wish you a happy birthday. That’s how we do it in our family. We tell and remind our kids of their aunts or uncles birthdays and ask them to say “Happy Birthday!” Don’t be mad at the kids. The boyfriend is to blame. Even after you told him how you felt he still didn’t care enough to go ask them to wish you a happy birthday, he just said “I don’t control them”…

1 Like

Don’t be upset, they’re kids. If anything, their dad should have told them to at least tell you happy birthday

2 Likes

If I didn’t have a giant calender in my kitchen that has everything on it, my kids would never know either😂. They are 8 and 13. Try to not to be to upset with the kids.

2 Likes

They’re 8 and 12. My own kids sometimes don’t remember because the date just isn’t something they’re thinking about. You’ve only been in their life for a year and a half, it’s not their first thought. Im sure they’re appreciative of all the things you do for them that their mother doesn’t do, but I wouldn’t stress over a birthday wish.

First they are kids, but second it speaks volumes about the douche canoe you are dating! He cares very little for you! :running_woman:

3 Likes

If your partner appreciated you and what you do for his children he would of made an effort to do something special from himself and his children to thank you for all that you do. I would hold this completely on your partner, he is the adult here.
Happy birthday for yesterday :partying_face::revolving_hearts:

1 Like

They are kids … not that you don’t matter but at that age other things are in their minds… the bf could have reminded them

Lol they’re 8 and 12. Kids forget things. You’re BF should’ve included them in getting you a gift or making a card or something. Definitely not the kids fault for forgetting.

They are kids! Its not there responsibility to remember ur birthday. You should be mad at ur Man for not including them in his bday suprise for you or whatever.

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:, a year and 1/2… they’re kids. It’s not like they’ve had to remember it their whole lives. My kids need reminding and it’s been 10&12 years. You better toughen up buttercup.

3 Likes

My god I wish my worries was soo minor like being upset that kids are being kids and forgot about you’re birthday you seem abit harsh to me anyway they’re kids afterall let it go and move on I mean my kids father is 37 and still needs reminding about birthdays and special occasions like mothers day ect it happens

3 Likes

They are kids they do not care that much about adults birthdays, and you been around for a year , what you expect from them is unrealistic, they do not own you anything just because you are nice to them , kids don’t work that way.

Their dad should have planned something and make them a part of it.

So you are focus your disappointment in the wrong direction

3 Likes

Also fun fact, not everyone has a great memory. I didn’t start remembering my parents birthdays until high school lmfao. I still don’t always remember my siblings or my nieces and nephews birthdays.

Probably didn’t have money for a gift and their mothers are not supportive of you. Their father doesn’t sound very supportive. He could have at least ordered a couple of Little Caesar’s

My own 7,9 and 11 year old don’t know my birthday. I definitely think your being sensitive about this. A year and a half like 1 birthday that they’re likely not going to remember. I was a teen before I really thought of other birthdays and remembered

4 Likes

My daughter is turning 24 . I called to remind her to call her dad on his birthday last week.

1 Like

I mean, they’re kids and still need reminders about birthdays. It was actually kind of on your boyfriend for having them do something.

2 Likes

Girlfriend if your butt hurt bc children didnt remember your birthday then your not mature enough to even be in a relationship where children are involved. Most of us parents dont get gifts from our children until they grow up and out on their own unless the dad buys it and adds the childrens name to the gift. Dont blame the children blame their dad.

No your feelings are hurt because for them to remember your birthday shows that they care just like doing for them shows them how much you care

2 Likes

Sorry, but you shouldnt feel slighted. My family forgets my birthday too. At that age you cant expect them to remember your birthday. My daughter is 12 and i remind her of people’s birthdays, even some of her friends. And i remind mybdad and my husband of birthdays as well.

Your boyfriend could have been a little more caring in his response, however.

Dont make it a big deal. They’re kids. I never knew stuff like that as a kid🤷🏼‍♀️

2 Likes

My own child doesn’t know mine lol

1 Like

It’s your boyfriend you should be upset with, not the 8 and 12 year old children. Also, you’ve literally only had 1 other birthday with them, chill out.

3 Likes

Literally grow up :skull_and_crossbones:

4 Likes

My 25 year old bio sin does not even remember mine… but let me just try and forget his

1 Like

I wouldn’t be mad at the kids. My mine year old asks me what day it is. Half the time he ain’t paying attention lol dad however, should have made it a point that they knew and taken them to get you a lil something

2 Likes

They’re kids, I’d be mad at their dad for not planning something and getting you a gift from them.

2 Likes

It’s up to the parents to create a culture of celebration for the family and to teach them respect for “extended family” by encouraging them to anticipate special occasions to honour each other. By having them decorate the house, make a card, do a chore to earn money to buy a small gift etc… they will learn traditions and standards for respect and celebration as you express the expectation that they celebrate those who in turn, celebrate them :heart:
I hope you can inspire your partner to see it this way and be the change you want to see as a positive example.

4 Likes

Don’t take it too personally. They are young and their minds are tuned in with other stuff… if anything your bf should have reminded them and bought a card for them to give you!

1 Like

They’re kids, if I didnt have a big calendar on my walls to write stuff on I’d forget everything including birthdays. Heck I even pick with my oldest son and tell him he better be glad his birthdays on a holiday (Christmas day) or I might forget it lol took me till my mid 20s to remember when my mom’s bday was without having a calendar.

1 Like

Honestly as a mom of 6 they forget my birthday or forget to say the words Happy Birthday. I been around kids my whole life it’s not even personal that’s just how kids are.

2 Likes

My son is 15 and he has no idea when my birthday even is lol i would sweat it

1 Like

He should have reminded them. They’re kids. My 7 yo doesn’t even know my birthday. Lol

2 Likes

It’s up to your BF to make your day special & to teach them the importance of doing nice things for others. You can’t expect the kids to do that on their own… Be upset with him & not the children

5 Likes

Yes u wrong the hell im 34 and i forget my parents birthdays doesn’t mean i don’t love them those guys are my life

1 Like

Pretty sure my brother never remembered our actual mom’s birthday growing up and she survived. You’ll be fine

2 Likes

It’s my party, and I’ll cry if I want to :rofl:

3 Likes

So instead of telling them it’s your birthday you sulked all day? :unamused:

I think your feelings need to validated here. It’s okay to feel upset while remembering their ages and that they are kids and aren’t responsible for knowing when your birthday is. Your boyfriend on the other hand could have had them make you a card or at least said happy birthday. He also could have been a bit more supportive when you expressed some sadness. I hope he did something for you.

13 Likes

Wow!!! You sound really immature.

I mean my own kid doesn’t remember my birthday I don’t expect my fiance’s son to remember mine :joy:

1 Like

Maybe they didn’t know? Plenty of kids forget their parents birthday

1 Like

They’re just kids, grow up.

1 Like

Boyfriend sux, kids are kids. I still have a calendar with everyone’s bday lol

1 Like

I wouldn’t let it bother you too bad they are young still. For the boyfriend to disregard your feelings on the other hand is bothersome. My mother in law has forgotten her sons and grand kids birthday the past few years then gets upset at her son for not getting her something in advance. I know it bothers my husband so I try and make his and kids birthday extra special. You should get a couple of your friends together and go do something fun enjoy the little things. Life’s to short. Happy belated birthday :partying_face:

They’re kids ffs. Stop feeling entitled. Plus they don’t have to do anything for you anyways cause they’re not your children. Grow up.

3 Likes

I don’t know why people are so rude in their comments. I’m sure it hurt that you were forgotten on your special day. But I think directing it at the kiddos is probably the wrong thing! I’d definitely ask your boyfriend why he made zero effort for you? And go from there. He sounds like an ass. “I can’t control them” how about you teach them how to treat someone they love….:broken_heart:

I’m sorry mama. Sounds like you’ve got some stuff to figure out.

There just kids don’t make a big deal about it kids don’t think of things like that if they wasn’t tot

I believe it is his responsibility to remind them of these special occasions. It’s part of parenting

5 Likes

I have 6 children and 10 grandchildren and Everyone remembers my Birthday even when I want to forget it.I say no big deal because turn about is fair play
Forget theirs and when or if they ask you about it let them know how they forgot yours😂

They are CHILDREN and you are being PETTY.

4 Likes

Yes don’t put your time and effort into them not to sound mean but here’s why their mom is never going to like you and she is always gong to put things into their head to feel the same way in their heart they do appreciate what you do for them and care but from experience be nice to them care about them but just let but be that and just remember its not their fault they have an outside mouth that talks and thinks for them(the mom)they are not allowed to have their own feelings and expectations so just live your life happy and when you have your own children with him things will change you’ll get the appreciation and love you deserve hope I can help

1 Like

I think it was more of your BF responsibility to make your day special. He should have encouraged them to tell you happy birthday. I’m sure they didn’t mean anything by it. They are kids.

5 Likes

Definitely normal. No kids remember birthdays unless someone (yer man should have) else makes a point to have them do something or tell them “hey it’s so-and-sos bday go say happy birthday” I have to remind my adult brothers to tell our folks happy birthday. It’s just not something most folks remember and ESPECIALLY children. Half the time they don’t know what day it is unless it’s a weekend, why would they remember a specific birthday that ain’t theirs haha

2 Likes

I’d be more upset at my boyfriend tbh. Tge kids are 8 & 12 he should be teaching them to be kind of others

2 Likes

It was definitely a boy Friends job to take care of that he should’ve taken them out to buy a birthday card for you, I remember when I was a kid when was my mother‘s birthday my dad would take me out to get a gift kids have no way of knowing but he knew

6 Likes

They are 8 and 12 you can’t expect them to remember your birthday

1 Like

They’re kids. He’s the one who should’ve had them get or make a card and tell you happy birthday :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Yikes. Where are the admins??? These comments are awful

1 Like

I mean they are 8 & 12 no one probably reminded them the day of so they probably forgot. Honestly you can’t get mad at them for not mentioning it when you have only been dating their dad a year and a half. You know how long it takes for kids to remember someone’s birthday

2 Likes

He should have gone with them to get you a gift and a card.
He is the problem here.

5 Likes

Id be upset too. Being a step parent is very hard! Especially when your trying to be a good one.
The 8 year old is still a little young but the 12 year old should know better. I would personally speak to the children myself, and let them know how that made you feel and point out how they would feel. We are the ones that have to instill good values and moral into our children ! Im sorry your feelings were hurt, Iv been there. Happy belated birthday :balloon: and best of Luck! :crossed_fingers:
… & Let’s not pretend …birthdays are very important. Literally your birth/day! Feelings matter , you matter, and so did your day

1 Like

Kids… key word here. Your feeling are valid however this issue is with your man not his kids.

7 Likes

My kid lives with me, I remind her when my bday is close, and she still forgets lol. No biggie.

3 Likes

Gosh I’m in my late 20s and I still forget people’s birthdays :confused: they would of only spent ONE birthday with you how are they supposed to remember your bday :confused:

5 Likes

The kids probably had no idea. I didnt.know my.parents bdays till I was an older kid. Boyfriend should have told them and at least say happy bday. If he would have suggested they make a card I’m sure they would. Kids don’t understand what we do for them.

1 Like

Yes you’re wrong. Kids aren’t the ones responsible for that kind of shit. They barely know their own birthdays, let alone their parents, and dad’s new girlfriend doesn’t even rank. Sorry.

If you feel any kinda way, you’re feeling it at the wrong person. It was your boyfriend’s responsibility to show you affection on your birthday, not his kids.

Id be lucky if my kids didnt forget mine. They are kids dont expect them to remember certain dates. Id be upset with your boyfriend not the kids.

1 Like

They are 8 and 12… I can’t even remember my own age half the time😂

4 Likes

My 12 years old doesn’t remember mines or Mother’s Day even though I reminded him I just get on with it…they are kids ffs.

1 Like

Their dad should have told them it was coming and reminded them the day before to wish you a happy birthday. Also did he do anything to show you some birthday love? Wouldn’t they have then sang happy birthday? My children wish someone a happy birthday and move on. They don’t really dote on me all day long like i would for a close loved one. I have to talk up my own birthday to get a happy birthday. I’m a single mom so if don’t the younger one would never know and my 7 yr old would remember at bedtime or in the coming days and feel absolutely horrible.

1 Like

Girrrrl not even my own kids care :joy:

2 Likes

What really caught my eyes was you saying there mother is not great so you make it better ever think maybe they think your trying to take there mother’s place they probably see it too

1 Like

They’re still very young; show a little grace. I understand it may sting a little for them to forget your birthday, but at the same time it’s not their place to make you feel loved and special. That’s the adult’s job to do for the children.

2 Likes

What really should bother you is your boyfriend , not the kids. If he put effort into your birthday they would have also . JS

You need to give it some time. You said it’s only been a year and a half that you’ve been in their lives. They are only 8 and 12 years old and unless their father told them it was your birthday, I’m not sure they would know. Did your bf do something special for your birthday?

2 Likes

My daughter is 8 and doesn’t remember my birthday. I’d be upset if she didn’t acknowledge my birthday because it is up to my husband to remind her. So, I’d be upset with my husband, not her.

1 Like

Kids don’t care about birthdays unless they are there own.

1 Like

You can feel however you feel about it but the fact is… they are 8 and 12. You have only been together for less than two years so it’s not like celebrating or remembering your birthday has ever been a big part of their lives. AND… kids forget. Birthdays arent a big deal to kids unless it is their own birthday lol. You are seeking emotional validation from your boyfriend’s kids and you will never find it because it is not their responsibility to make you feel validated.

4 Likes

8 & 12 are not going to remember. Your boyfriend should have made it a point to let them know and offer for them to make you something

4 Likes

Are they boys or girls n tbh kids forget n maybe if u was with him longer they maybe remember as it’s every year maybe doing something special like ask if they wanna bakes cakes etc.