Am I wrong for thinking kids shouldn't be cussing?

I let my olders cuss with me, away from the one who doesn’t know that there is a place for it. We all parent differently. No the older ones don’t cuss at me, they do that in their bedroom or somewhere I can’t hear, just like all other kids

1 Like

My mom had the mouth of a sailor and FUCK was a word she used a lot and that’s the only word my son doesn’t say.
He saw a man disrespect me in front of him and he cussed the dude out and told him to leave me alone.

I cuss. My kids cuss AS adults. I’m sure they did as teenagers too, but not around me. I don’t do it a lot unless I’m mad. I just think it makes a person sound trashy, even myself when I cuss. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I agree but I’m known as the mean mom but I don’t mind I hear a child cuss especially around my lil one I usually take that child to his or hers mom let her deal with it as for own kids the back talk or cuss or disrespectful crap I’m the one who deals with punishment

Words are just words and the context is way more important. My kids know that and know that they’ll only get in trouble for trying to use those words to harm people, which includes not using them around people who feel it’s disrespectful. :woman_shrugging:t2: They’re just words. If we’re sharing opinions, mine is get over it.

6 Likes

Stop blaming parents. We do the best we can but kids are going to do what they do when we’re not around. I love listening to parents of toddlers and better yet, parents of zero kids hahaha talking about how its because kids aren’t being raised properly.

11 Likes

I took the fun away from cussing with my daughter. There are no “bad words” but use them properly. Do NOT cuss around small children, they don’t need to be exposed to that crap and she agrees. Do not cuss at adults, you will be grounded Unless that adult is a bully. If you are going to use cuss words it can only be at home, with me because I don’t care about bad words. You can use them with your friends but don’t be mean. Unless it is like what the hell or wtf when kids are being bullies. To bullies she can say whatever she wants to them and protect herself. So if some brat comes and pulls her hair and she asks them to stop and they don’t my kid has permission to knock them out and call them an asshole if she wants. It’s all about the situation. Most of the time she still blushes and whispers what the hell because she doesn’t always like those words. :woman_shrugging:

Honestly I absolutely stand with you 100% these kid’s today are exposed to way to much the parents don’t seem about much of anything these kid’s are being exposed to so much at a young age it’s like some parents don’t focus on parenting at all.

1 Like

Ppl raise their kids in either a swear word free house or in a house that only adults use them

My three year old says “Are you FUCKING ME?!” Instead of “Are you kidding me?” And it’s the funniest thing I’ve ever heard and I will not be asking him to stop

1 Like

Cause a lot of the cuss words don’t carry the same meaning anymore a lot of the time they say “ shit” in place of the word “ stuff” or as in “ and etc “ the swear words though like the big ones yeah I get not to let them

School bus driver here… today’s kids are not what we were and they never WILL be.

My middle schoolers had weed vapes on the bus. And vodka.
The times they are a changin’.

I’d rather them say “the F word”.

4 Likes

I curse around my kids all the time but they know they’re bad words. Sometimes they even vocalize to me that it’s a bad word by saying “that’s a bad word mama” they even think the word stupid is a bad word. If I’m watching a TV show or a movie and I say “well that’s just stupid” they call me out on it :woman_shrugging:t2: My son is 8 and my daughter is going on 5 and the only time my son cursed was when he was 3. We were at a light once behind a car and as soon as it turned green someone’s a few cars back behind us honked their horn and my son called out “whatcha beeping for asshole!” My dad an I were trying so hard not to laugh. My son even comes home from school and tells me about “so and so said a bad word today” but he won’t tell me what the word was because he knows he’s not allowed to say it.

And what do you do when your child swears? I take away privileges but it does no good.

I cuss all the time. My kids can cuss (not my 7 year old though), but they know how to read the room. If the are younger kids around, they don’t. As long as they don’t cuss at me or my husband, or at anyone else, we really don’t care. There are far worse things they could be doing.

2 Likes

Meh. Words are words. As long as my kids aren’t using these words to hurt each other or others, and aren’t throwing them around in inappropriate settings idc. And honestly once I adopted that approach, they were much less interested in using them.

8 Likes

First of all, I was taught not to cuss as a child, and I didn’t actually openly cuss til I was almost in my 30’s, even though I would say it all the time in my head. But then my life hit turmoil and it’s been one bad thing happening to me after another and my physical and mental health are deteriorating. So when I’m super frustrated or angry, I do cuss. But you know what? It’s therapeutic to me. I don’t know what it is about it, but it always makes me feel better. And another thing I’ve always wondered since I was a kid is, who decided those words were bad??? Who said “Fuck! I shouldn’t have said that….shit. Shit! I said shit! I am such a bad person!” Like WHAT!!??? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Lol THEY ARE JUST WORDS. That someone once decided were “bad”. Why are they bad though? They don’t mean anything bad as individual words…. I believe in the time & place system.

1 Like

You can’t control what other kids are doing. If you teach your kids correctly, that’s all that matters.
The quote I live by is “not my bitch not my business”. If it ain’t harming me or my kid, who gives a fluck.
I think leaving the park was a stupid thing to do. You can’t uproot your day/life/activity because of some little shit.

You can’t stop what others are doing. Teach your kid better. I wouldn’t have left. Can’t shelter your kid forever. My 4 year old hears curse words on an occasion and knows that he can’t say them. He just said oh my God the other day and immediately looked at me and apologized. At 4 you should be teaching them right from wrong. We go to a lot of public places and hear lots of things. I teach him what is appropriate. I’m not going to leave every time someone is doing something I don’t agree with. To each their own but you could have used it as an opportunity to teach her appropriate behavior

5 Likes

no you are not long at all. I think it’s absolutely disgusting when a little kid says cuss words. I was at my son soccer game the other day standing right behind the goal, and he got to kick a direct kick into the goal between him and Goalie, and after the ball makes it in the net, the 12-year-old goalie boy says Damnit,  I said watch your mouth!!! He got so embarrassed and gave this oops scarred face! It just sounds so trashy especially coming out of a kid‘s mouth and quite frankly embarrassing For the pants of that child. So NO kids should not be cursing. 

Chances are their parents weren’t within ear shot- the playground and school is where they learn those words and some behavior.

M 7 year old does… but he also only does it at home
He knows not to do it at school or anything like that…
He can be who he is at home and has to be respectful outside the house

2 Likes

NO!!! My kids are in their 40’s, and u can not pay them enough money to CUSS around me, ijs!!!

1 Like

They are gonna learn it eventually you may as well teach them to use it properly. So yes.

2 Likes

It’s a word!! That’s all it is! Someone a hundred year ago could have said “carpet” is a bad word and that’s what we would know. In reality though it’s just a word! If you can’t handle a word. You have more problems than you know.

10 Likes

We had a rule when I was younger and we will when my son is older, you can cuss if it is appropriate, not said in anger towards someone, and not in public, this allowed me and my sister to feel we could still have our freedom of speech and overall after the rule was applied we didn’t cuss in public, we are both mild mannered adults today that seldom cuss and when we do its normally at home

6 Likes

Its words… If you’re offended by words… Get a saftey pin and find a safe place and grow up.

5 Likes

If you think your kids aren’t swearing at school or around their friends then you should reevaluate the year… it’s just words and you can’t stop them.
However I do believe they shouldn’t be swearing at you or at another adult…

3 Likes

Yes, nothing wrong with cursing lol

1 Like

Poor parenting, entertainment, and society, lack of Jesus Christ in their lives. No SPANKINGS

7 Likes

My older child does not swear and it gives him some anxiety in school because apparently “A lot of the 4th Graders swear” … I’ve told him to just ignore it and to just focus on himself. I don’t swear in front of my kids because I don’t do that in front of kids :woman_shrugging:t3: I leave the adult stuff with adults and children are my priority. My daughter has sworn in the past, and honestly I literally had to walk away to stop myself from laughing - She’s 4 and used the word in perfect context :joy:.

Yes you are wrong. Next.

3 Likes

I agree with you 100% !
I can’t stand to hear a child swear ! It’s just my personal opinion but it’s degrading , it’s rude and it’s not respectful ! I mean we can’t help what kids say outside of the house , at school , hanging out with friends and so on but my kids won’t where I am at , they know I don’t tolerate it , they do say crap or stupid but actual curse words nope.
Growing up if an elder heard a kid swear nine chances outta ten they were either gettin a whoopin or soap in the mouth :woman_facepalming: instead of redirecting them , and watching your own mouth around them but they will eventually pick it up elsewhere.

I used to curse all the time when my parents weren’t around :sweat_smile::see_no_evil: it’s a phase. Imo anyway

1 Like

Seems like kids are younger n younger and no respect it’s so sad

4 Likes

I cuss at my teens to quit cussing all the time. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

They will do it either way🤷🏽

1 Like

It’s just a word dude :joy:

1 Like

NO you are NOT wrong! kids today treat everyone, including their parents horribly. The swearing, hitting, punching, shoving…“oh, he has ADHD, or hes Autistic” does NOT apply to every child! STOP making excuses for your childs behavior and start teaching them RESPECT, CONSIDERATION, MANNERS. this no spanking rule is B.S.! You can spank and not beat down your child.

8 Likes

My 8-year-old went through a phase a couple years ago where she started using cuss words that she picked up being around grown people. She stopped though and now realizes that certain words you just don’t say, and I have to catch myself if I don’t she’ll let me have it! :joy:

I don’t like it but it seems to be normal for others to allow their children to these days. The parents are allowing it to happen around them so it is normal for the kids. Lots of new normals and the younger generations won’t understand how this is so hard for some of us to grasp as it used to be unheard of.

I remember saying the word prick at 14 . My mother slapped my face . She raised us right .

Should’ve told those little shits to shut the fü.çk up.

It’s funny my grandkids have potty mouth. But they never use those words with grandma.Or even if I’m around. They learned very young grandma don’t play with potty mouth. I also have a disable daughter. Who her bad words are “stater bros” and “pick and save”. But she gets in trouble for saying those. Because it’s in her tone that get her in trouble.

2 Likes

My weird cursing boundary…I don’t care if my son says shit or ass…but hearing what the hell out of his 8 yo mouth just sends me​:grimacing::grimacing:

I’m not one of those religious ppl that have that thing with the word hell and GD, don’t even go to church, but it just sounds so weird coming out of his mouth so we’ve had a talk about word boundaries for his age.

No kids should never be taught to cuss

1 Like

My children know better… it’s usually all in what they hear or if they have been taught not to say it, now days parents aren’t really parents, they try to be their child’s friend. Letting them vape, cuss etc… not happening in my home.

I curse like a sailor. My daughter is 12 and will ask if she could use “big people” curse words every now and then when it’s just us. Around me when she’s with friends of cousins her age she’s not allowed to curse. It’s just when it’s us having friend time. Now does she curse when it’s just her and her friends, I bet she does as long as I don’t hear it oh well.

1 Like

I was with my 5yr old and a bunch of young men were playing basketball n blasting music with disgraceful lyrics. I went over…without a thought n kindly explained… they actually said no problem n kept it down. I totally get that feeling. Just one more thing we have to explain lol

My kids curse. Idc about it. They’re just words. However they do not curse AT people. There’s a big difference. I curse a lot and so does their dad :woman_shrugging:t2:

16 Likes

My kids are allowed to swear at home, but not around other people because some people, like you, are easily offended.

17 Likes

Nope. Cause they shouldn’t but to each their own. Ain’t my kids. Mine don’t and won’t talk like that around me. I don’t cuss around my parents out of respect

1 Like

It’s just expressive words. Sometimes you the only word you can find is f!ck after stubbing a toe. As long as they’re using it with context and not swearing AT people they can cuss all they want.

7 Likes

Mine don’t. And it’s a butt whoopin if I catch ‘em. It ain’t cute letting little kids talk like adults.

I’m w/u on this one!

1 Like

Why do you think poop is ok but shit isn’t?

Because society told you. They both mean the same thing.

I make fun of people who say frig instead of fuck.

People should always say what they mean, not be taught to change their words to fit some social norm.

If you only cuss around certain people, you’re a fake person most of the time. I encourage people to be their true self.

I cuss like a sailor and neither of my 4 daughter do, even though I’ve never had rules for words.

Don’t mistake respect for word etiquette.

If you teach respect they will know how to speak.

2 Likes

It is Sad!!! So grateful my Grandchildren are kind & respectful. And Do Not use Ugly Language… at least not in my presence.

Who decided that a word is “bad” in the first place :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

My daughter’s 28 and it still bothers me if she curses

1 Like

Get over yourselves. Most of you can’t even stop yourselves from hitting and screaming at defenseless children, yet you think you’re the authority to speak on what constitutes as good parenting.
Exit stage left. Your seat is waiting in the back :v:

7 Likes

Kids shouldn’t be cussing. Frankly, everybody should watch their language. Young ones pick it up so fast. I’ve been trying to stop swearing. The Bible says to keep unwholesome speech from your lips. Stop profane speech. I’m trying to do that. Not easy. I had my pet words for a number of years. None of them was the f bomb. That one is awful. But I think we should discourage our kids from using that language. It’s a tough habit to break.

9 Likes

Why are cuss words bad? What makes a word bad? The context? The meaning?

10 Likes

Why are they “bad” words? Because someone got offended by one and said so… But think about how u use “bad” words… They’re emotion words… Whether people want to admit it or not. Your children are still HUMAN and living a HUMAN experience… Plus… They’re fun to say

5 Likes

As long as they aren’t using it to disrespect you or anyone else, why does it matter ?

Lol shit? :skull: people are out here dying and you’re protecting your daughter from shit​:joy: raise her however you want but this isn’t life or death or even an issue about who she’ll be when she gets older. This will have absolutely no effect on her except maybe how her parent looks at her apparently. Lol kids pick things up and put them back down, it has nothing to do with if your kid will be a gang banger in and out of jail. It just doesn’t.

We focus on words that hurt, rather than curse words. I don’t understand everyone getting their panties twisted over sh!t, or even f!ck, but not caring about slurs.

2 Likes

unfortunately you are not going to be able to forever keep them secluded from curse words, seeing things they should not be seeing hearing things they should not be hearing its out there and there is nothing that can be done about it.

1 Like

In my house a “cuss” word is considered a word you call someone else. Never understood why certain words were bad words​:joy: if it hurts your feelings hearing my kid say fuck when she hurts herself you’re not my people :woman_shrugging:

Parents are probably cursing at home and they are repeating what they hear. It’s a shame on the parents.

2 Likes

My daughter is allowed to cuss :woman_shrugging:t2:they are expressive words
You probably scream and yell at your child when they have an opinion and think that you have all say because you are the parent.

1 Like

My children know they aren’t allowed to curse. I went to the park and this 2 year old kept calling me a bi*ch… I would say that’s not acceptable. Parents fault obviously.

3 Likes

My toddler who is 3 cusses. He doesn’t know the meaning and the difference between good and bad words just yet. he even uses them in the correct form. As long as he ain’t using them as a projector towards someone, I’m fine with it. But he also knows to respect others with his manners, it’s mainly at home he cusses but I allow it, just not out in public and around other.

My child is allowed to swear as long as it’s not used to hurt someone’s feelings. So she’s allowed to say the “f” word, but not allowed to tell someone to “f” off for example. It’s how I personally express certain emotions. Why can’t she express hers in the same way of she chooses? As long as they aren’t used to hurt someone there shouldn’t be an issue.

3 Likes

My kids don’t cuss unless they are singing a song and it says a cuss word. But I will also tell them they can say certain words with permission. I obviously don’t let me 6,8 or 10 yr old say bith just bc they feel like it :rofl::woman_shrugging:

Damn you fragile AF. You mad cuz he heard the word SHIT. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Never thought I’d have a 7yr old who cusses but here i am. Not from a lack of trying to keep him away from that but school man school smh. Haha I’m honestly okay with it as long as it’s not at someone and it’s at home only. Its just words. We all say them.

1 Like

I gave my boys permission to express themselves freely within our home,I do the same with my daughter and I have never had a problem

I don’t allow it in my home. My adult children know not to use any kind of language that might upset someone… it’s respect or lips zipped

4 Likes

I cuss like a sailor my daughter does not cuss at all. Cuss words are words that someone deemed “bad”. However on the other hand I do not cuss around other people or children out of respect that they may not cuss or cuss around their children

1 Like

I honestly think that a lot of behaviors kids have today, they had before. The internet just wasn’t huge and social media wasn’t made so it wasn’t made obvious to the public. Just because it’s not online, doesn’t mean it wasn’t happening. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Yesterday me and my fiancé left to go to the store and we live in an apartment and there were a bunch of kids sitting outside cussing. Like if I would’ve done that at their age my mom would’ve smacked me but that’s just me

Omg. So somewhere along the line someone decided certain words were bad n certain words were good and everyone just went along with it AND ITS WEIRD AS FUCK. Stop drinking the boomer kool-aid.

“They’re just words”
Yea so are cnt and ngg*r
People who let their kids cuss are just lazy parents who don’t want to discipline their children

4 Likes

I refuse to tell my child he can’t use the words I use, but at the same time I will try teach him not to use those words outside the home.

2 Likes

Sit TF down lol I was told all my life cursing wasn’t lady like and I wouldn’t be successful if I kept doing it… guess what… :fu::fu::fu::fu: and all the other successful women I work with do it too.

7 Likes

They’re just words. You teach them when and how to use them like everything else. I’m sure you know how to tell someone off without cussing, but do you go around telling everyone off for every minor inconvince? I’m gonna guess your answer is no, because most people’s answer is no. That’s because you learned when, where, and how to tell someone off. Cuss words are no different.

3 Likes

My kids know better then to let me here it. I will wash their mouth out. I’m 37 and don’t curse around my mom still cause she would probably still light my tail up.

5 Likes

My kid is 6 and cusses. She uses it as expression words. When she is amazed “that’s so da*n cool”. She also knows other words. But she also knows not to call other people “bad” words. They are just words and to me as long as you aren’t calling people them its fine.

8 Likes

I remember kids doing that in the 80’s and 90’s. You have a little one right now, but here’s a secret so you know, kids do a lot of crazy stuff when their parents aren’t around. Yours will, too. And it’s a part of growing up and becoming their own person and being independent humans. Plus, they’re just words.

8 Likes

They are words. Just simply words that someone decided they were bad. :woman_shrugging:t2: I literally do not care if they cuss. There’s a time and place for everything and as long as they don’t go to school and are cussing then what’s the harm?

3 Likes

I’ve heard it too. They are usually just repeating what they’ve been brought up hearing. A woman I knew cussed all the time, her favorite was the F word. I’d cringe and couldn’t stand to be around her. She had a girl and 2 boys and they cussed too. She never seemed to notice or care.

My four year old swears like a sailor. But only at home. He is allowed to swear, but must be respectful and not use those words past the front door and not while we have company over.

8 Likes

It’s cause this generation knows it’s fucking ridiculous and they’re just words :relaxed:

Tell them they can’t, and they will. It was a public place…

1 Like

Repeating what they hear! Sad.

2 Likes

I let my kids to say shit ass and damn.At home only. And they are young. Because 1. They’re just words. 2. It keeps them from saying the real “bad” ones and 3. Why should I expect them not to say it when I do. It’s a little hypocritical.

It’s all about class. Have some class and leave the “cussin” to the cussing.

No, kids shouldnt be cussing . We all know itll happen once they reach a certain age but they will do it behind parents backs with their friends lol. We all did that. But letting ur kid cuss?? I was raised correctly and Anyone doing that is just adding to what’s wrong with kids 2day. That’s why kids cuss their parents, teachers out bc they are allowed to use it on a daily basis. They have no respect for that kind of language. I cuss on a daily basis, fuck is one of my favorites lol but my 3 girls?? Nope they wont do it freely until they reach a certain age. I tell ya this much, a kid that is grown enough to cuss me out is grown enough to get fkd up :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Shit im surprised that my 4 year olds word wasnt fuck haha

I let my kids say a few cuss words but they use them appropriately and don’t say them towards people. Just mainly do it in frustrating situations :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes