Can a 12 year old for sure know their sexual orientation?

There are questions that needed to be asked like, how did you know you’re gay or lesbian or anything they orient themselves to. Pre-teens are the foundation of adulthood, and if it’s not confirmed correctly, then confusions begin as to “why” am I like this or the most common question is, “am I normal?”

1 Like

I knew I was bisexual when I was 6.

You should always accept her, no matter her sexual orientation, so if that is what she wants, then you should go with it. I am personally straight, and I know that if it were any different, my mom would probably have a problem with it, and it’s sad to say that. You need to support and love her as much as you can because some other kids don’t get that support they need. :heart:

1 Like

If she told you she had a crush on a boy would you be questioning her sexuality then too?? No you wouldn’t you’d just go with it.
So just go with it now, she’s comfortable enough to tell you. Just be there for her and let her know you appreciate her honesty and don’t question it

37 Likes

Absolutely and I think that’s GREAT they felt comfortable enough to come right out and tell you.

2 Likes

Yes, she can know at that age. Most kids know a lot younger but don’t know the word for it or where told it’s wrong and hide it till they are older.

1 Like

Yes, they are born that way. Be proud that she feels comfortable enough to discuss this with you.

9 Likes

I knew fairly young. I was about 5 or 6 when i figured it out. Other kids i know have figured it out while young. For some it is a phase. But let them figure it out for themselves, be supportive.

1 Like

I came out as bisexual to my mother at 11, i had no idea what it meant. But sadly, times have changed.

Yes I was going to say and the fact that she is comfortable enough to tell you don’t lose that! Just be there every step for her :heart::heart:

1 Like

My daughter came out at at 11. They know. When you were 12 didn’t you have crushes on boys? I did. So if she has a crush on a girl, why should it be so strange

Absolutely!!! Our daughter came out at 12 and we love her just the same as before we knew!! Just support her❤️

Shes known alot longer. Its who she is. Just love her like you always have!

1 Like

Either way, support, accept and love her for who she is.

I can’t believe how people have made this so normal … In as much as you all saying accept her etc that shit is not right that’s insanity!!! God did not create eve & eve or Adam & Adam troll me if you like but I will always stand against homosexuality it’s a disease instead of giving proper advise to get her straight you are saying encourage her to be with girls OMG she was not born that way it’s the devil !!

Does she know that gay means happy… when I was growing up that is what it meant … and a rainbow was a promise from God …u dont need peoples opinion for ur own child … if you are a believer then read and judge for yourself … know that u will answer no one else

3 Likes

Right just go with it

Yes. Does it matter if shes straight or gay? Would you question het if she said she had a crush on a boy? A lot of people know before that. How old were you when you had your first crush?

Well I’m pretty sure your born that way so…

Whether she does or doesn’t. Supporting your child no matter they are feeling is what’s most important so they dont feel scared or alone at such a vulnerable age. Being gay is no big deal. Just like being heterosexual… children as they grow figure it out with support and love

3 Likes

My son told me at 12 he is Gay hes 16 now nothing has changed thankfully hes perfect as he is :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

2 Likes

Yes. They can. Be supportive.

1 Like

Yes. I knew I was attracted to females very early on. The most important thing u can do is just make sure she knows u love her no matter what. That it doesn’t matter who she loves.

2 Likes

That may change it may not love her anyways. It dnt matter

Yes. I knew I liked boys when I was 12. What’s the difference?

3 Likes

Yes. I had a 12 year old student come out to me. I was honored to be trusted enough to be told. I will say my heart hurt a little with fear of what he would potentially face as he got older, but society was beginning to change at that time and he was lucky to be surrounded by super supportive people and he’s now a fantastic adult, confident in himself and a blessing to those around him.

Take a deep breath, be supportive and educate yourself so you are more comfortable being supportive.

1 Like

Idt a 12 year old knows anything for sure. All you can do is support her and let her figure it out on her own.

I guess I’m wondering why it matters? If she’s attracted to girls right now, but then maybe boys too at some later point, great. You just support. But I’d say most people know who they are primarily attracted to, well before 12.

1 Like

I’m so glad to see the majority of comments be loving and supportive!! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Yes. At a early age didnt you know you liked boys ???

I knew way before I was 12, be supportive, that’s a brave girl you have! Takes a lot of courage to come out :two_hearts:

I knew mine before I hit puberty. Pretty sure I was still in elementary school.

Yes she is old enough to know. You must have a good rapport with her-GOOD JOB MOM! Most kids are afraid to tell…

It’s possible, it’s also possible that she will change her mind :wink: just be supportive and let her know you love her no matter what. Some people dont know until they are adults.

Yes of course … I mean I knew I liked boys at that age , actually well before that age lol

My sister has known since she was a little kid so I’d say she could know

Yes, I came out as bisexual at age 11, I knew that I liked boys and girls

Yes…I came out to my parents as bisexual shortly after my 13th birthday…I’m 26 and I still like both

Of course she knows. A lot of us knew since birth. Straight people know at that age too

My 12 year old daughter came out to me earlier this year. I told her that I thought she was a little young to make that decision seeing as she hasn’t really experienced life yet but I would always support her and love her no matter what!

Even if you’re not sure if she can know at 12 still support her and don’t give her shit about it. Sexuality (and gender) are a spectrum! She might say she’s gay now because that’s how she feels is the best way to describe how she feels it may change or it may not! Sometimes girls at 12 think they’re gay and a year or two later they realize they might actually be a transman instead but hadn’t known the term earlier!

Be glad shes up front with you. Support her. Explain the bible verse about a man for a woman and a woman for a man. All others go to hell.

Children can know their sexual orientation as early as age 3. They might not be able verbally say it at that age but they will begin to know how/what they identify themselves with.
Be supportive. Be accepting. Always show them love and support

Don’t question how she feels. Give her feelings and certainly her openness some validity. And if she changes her mind later than just support her. She might be bisexual or whatever she feels is right for her. Trust her to figure out what’s going on with herself and support her.

Very possibly, yes. Some people just know. Ask most straight people and they’ll tell you they knew from very young. I had my first crush (heart palpitations and all) when I was in kindergarten.

Yes they can know by 12 be supportive love her unconditionally

I think you get boy/girl crazy at that age and if she finds she’s more attracted to girls, it is what it is. You can’t force her opinion. Either way, she’s YOUR child! You’ll love and support her, either way! :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

I asked my daughter why she thought she was trans? she told me she googled it. Kids today are extremely conditioned. She likes boys and feels like a boy. In my day… thats a tomboy. 9th grade was when I stopped wearing baseball caps and sneakers and started wearing skirts and make up. Id love my daughter no matter her preference/choice. Id rather her be more informed then google tho.

5 Likes

Thats hard to say i would think that it would come down to how mature she is at that age not all kids act the same.

Why not in stead of hoping it’s a faze just support & love her no matter who she’s sexually attracted to? :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Yes. Plain and simple. Next question.

Yes very possible. I think many know before 12

My 11 year.old.just told.me she was pansexual… She had been depressed for over a year and since then I have seen a huge difference idk if this will be a forvevr thing my brother who is almost 40 knew he was gay at a super super young age! Not sure of it helps but love and support is the answer :heartbeat:

2 Likes

Everyone on here making comments that it is ok to be gay, just know that it is NOT ok with God. He created girls to be girls & boys to be boys. And He does not intend for anyone to be with someone of the same sex. Homosexuality is a sin & it states in the Bible that homosexuals will not enter the gates of Heaven. So before you go encouraging your precious children to be homosexuals because they think it feels right or they googled it or whatever, you better think about their eternity!

1 Like

Omg. Pray :pray: for her now

2 Likes

My daughter is 8 and told us she likes girls and we told her ‘as long as she is happy and gives and receives the love she deserves we will support her’. When school started she told me she had a crush on a boy. At the end of the day I dont care who she likes as long as she is happy.

Just go with the flow- my 12 year old granddaughter had me buying rainbow skateboards ( ie she did the same thing0 but she is now 19 and very happy with her boyfriend

1 Like

Yes you should let him do what makes him happy. If he likes where fake nails let him there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. And if you were to push him to more mainly things he might think that you won’t support him if he were apart of lgbtq. And if he wants to where them to school I think you should let him. Make him feel confident yea he might get made fun of bc society sucks but he should learn to stick up for himself and be happy with who he is☺️