Did anyone get a tubal done straight after a c-section?

My sister had hers done after my nephew was born because of his heart conditions. It’s been over a year since she had it done and her depression is absolutely the worst its ever been, she’s also on Anxiety meds now because her depressiom got worse, and she has SEVERE mood swings and her and her doctor have been thinking of putting her on bipolar medicine as well. So my advice is PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE thinl carefully of what you want to do. There’s plenty of other options to help you not grt pregnant

1 Like

I had 4 C-sections and had my tubes tied during the last one. Healing time and pain was pretty much the same for all. I thought I knew 100% that I wanted a tubal, and now 9yrs later it’s the biggest regret I have. Also my period changed, it’s heavy and extremely painful. I hate sounding so negative, but it’s a serious thing to consider.

I had my tubal done during my second csection(3rd pregnancy). It took maybe an extra 10 minutes because my doctor was fixing the way my insides were situated (according to my husband at the time who watched the whole thing) but my recovery time was similar to my other csection. It’s been 14+ years and no complications

I had my tubal at the c-section of my second boy. Took maybe 5 extra minutes. My recovery after this csec was WAY easier than my first. I’ve had no issues. I did have to change the hospital I was going to go to as a catholic hospital would not allow birth control.

I just had mine done during my C-section in April. It only made my procedure about a half hour longer, went fairly smoothly (but it stinks :joy:) and the only issue I’ve noticed as of yet is I occasionally get small bursts of pain that last about a minute or two every now and again.

The surgery did go a little longer for me. And i was throwing up because of so much anesthesia. But recovery was the same. it was worth it

I had it done with my 3rd c section. I couldn’t even tell considering it was a c section. Very happy I did it. I was 28 when I had mine done. I unfortunately ended up with endometriousis(not sure if I spelled that right) and a total of 11 cysts on both ovaries. I then had a full hysterectomy. I’m very happy with the way I feel and am now, and back when I had the surgery. Either way best of luck to you!

I had to fight tooth and nail to get mine done after my 4th. I choose to have a c-section in order to get it done immediately instead of trying for natural after my third was a c-section. After my daughter was out she got the tubal done in maybe 10 to 15 minutes. It was really quick and I didn’t notice any difference afterwards between that c section and the one before.

I had mine done right after they pulled my daughter out. I hemmorraged after I had her because my uterus wouldn’t shrink back down. They put me on a pic drip to restart my labor. I was out on morphine so I didn’t know what was going on. But over all it is better to have it done then instead of having to go back.

It litteraly only took 2 mins longer. It was the best decision I ever made. No need for an extra surgery and extra recovery time when you have it done during your csec. Good luck mama! I had mine done at 23 and i haven’t had any issues.

I had a tubal done after my 3rd C-section, and it was fine! No additional pain, and recovery was good, too. Good luck!

I had mine tied during my second c section. I didn’t notice any difference in the procedure time but I do notice my periods are worse (longer and more painful) but maybe due to not being on the pill anymore …?

I had mine done after my 4 csection. Everything went smooth and didnt take much longer than my other ones. My recovery was no different.

My tubal was during my third c section. I actually had second thoughts during surgery and told them to stop… however it was too late they were actually seeing me up at the time I spoke up. My husband I “knew” we were done and ended up being done but I wish I had waited to make the decision when I wasn’t miserably pregnant. I had no issues with recovery it was the same timeframe as a regular section. Wishing you a speedy easy recovery!

I got mine tied after my 4th c section. It did cause a bit more pain than I expected but I would still recommend doing it with the section instead of getting another surgery after you’ve healed. And I did have more heavier periods and they come more frequently at times. But I also had other problems with my uterus so that could have been the cause as well…

I did, but I only had one tube left, lost the other to a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. But it didn’t take long and recovery was the same as my first c section. Definitely worth it.

I had a tubal during my 3rd csection. The pain after surgery was much much worse. And my periods since then have been awful. Much heavier. More cramping. And very irregular now. And I was like clockwork before that.

I had 3 c sections and a tubal on my 3rd at 29. Recovery from the c section was a little longer and a little more painful but nothing too bad. Might as well get it done while you are open so you don’t have to go thru another surgery.

I had 4 c sections and had a final done with my last, honestly I didn’t feel a thing and it was over with in minuets, that was 18 years ago and no problems. If you are done then do it while you are already cut open.

it took longer for me to recover, I don’t know if it was because it was my second c-section or my age, I was 33. I did have some regrets, because Iwent through a phase where I wanted another at about 35. I got over it.

I didn’t have a tubal after a c-section but a few years after the birth of my youngest. I see heavy periods as a potential side effect. One thing my doctor did when I had my tubal was also have an ablation to lessen the periods. I was having problems with this while I had an IUD. This has been worlds different!

Had mine done after my 2nd C-section. Procedure wasn’t long and had no complications other than heavier periods the first fees days compared to what they used to be

Had mine done after my third c section as well. Took only 30 min longer and I didn’t have a worse recovery. In fact my third c section was my easiest one. Probably because the pregnancy was the hardest one lol I was 28 when I had it done. I’m 40 now and haven’t had any complications other then being diagnosed with endometriosis. But Idk if that’s connected to a tubal :woman_shrugging:t3:

I did it after my second child and it wasnt as bad at first. The pain is a bit different than just a c section. I would recommend it because I lost all baby weight faster with out the extra hormones from birth control. I hope this helps, also no extra scares.

I am 25 and just had my 3rd child which was also my 3rd C Section in August 2019 and also got my tubes tied after my baby was out of me. It took maybe 20 minutes longer. Didnt feel very much longer tho! Everything went smooth for me. The only issue i have now is that my periods are much much much heavier than it ever was! Other than that everything is fine. Some one told me to ask about getting on meds to help my periods not be so heavy but i havent done it yet. But plan to! Good luck! Hope everything goes good with u💜

I had mine done after my third as well. I was 29. It didnt take anymore time really. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes extra. And I had no complications from having it done right after. I feel like getting it done that way versus waiting was smoother. Not having the pain of surgery twice, not having the risk of infection twice. I feel it was the best way to go.

Mine was smooth the only thing they told me was not to pick up heavy stuff for 8 to 10 weeks. My periods however got worse and now I’m back to the pill to control them! Goodluck

I had mine during my 3rd c-section… from what I’ve heard the procedure when done alone is painful due to the fact that they inflate your stomach and you have lots of air/gas bubbles to deal with after… that’s what my lady friends told me… i will tell you to expect heavier, more painful and, in my case, longer periods after…

I had mine done as well with my 3rd c section… and to be honest it was horrible. Scar tissue from the previous c sections takes longer to cut trough so by time they got to my tubal ligation my spinal was wearing off I literally felt them pulling my tubes I naturally reacted sat up during surgery and almost had to be fully sedated. Recovery was worse then my other sections as well but everyone is different and recovers differently.

I got it done, with my 3rd one as well, in my experience it didn’t take too much longer and I was holding my baby while they did it. As far as recovery it does hurt a bit more than just c-sec however in my case wasn’t too bad.
My periods have been completely normal, I always have pms cramps and other symptoms however I honestly don’t think the tubal ligation made them worse, they are just as bad as they were before I got it done. I do recommend it if you are done having babies like me. I was almost 29 when I had my 3rd baby and I was done. Good luck

Usually they tell you if there is no side effects with getting your tubes tied if you look it up yes there is a lot of people will get headaches have trouble sleeping have heavier. With blood clots longer periods for up to a week or more they’re very painful. After you’re my third child after I had my tubes tied I had my. Every 2 weeks for the first year and a half horrible blood clots and when you have used the biggest tampon and a pad it was that bad and afterwards I wanted one more child. But if you are set on no more kids I would go ahead and have a hysterectomy instead it solves the problem two ways can’t get pregnant again and no more. Monthlies

I got a tubal after my surrogate sons pregnancy ended in an emergency c section at 30 weeks. I dont feel like the tubal took alot longer than just the c-section. No complications after either. My periods are better than they were before my other 3 pregnancies.

I had mine done during my second csection 27 yrs ago…it didn’t add much time to the surgery. But, don’t count on not having to take bc pills at some point. I had to take them since 4 yrs after my tubal until now had an ablation 3 yrs ago.

I did! Absolutely the same with my first c section and my second with tubal ligation. Very smooth and I didn’t feel any pain difference. There is pain but tolerable. I only took otc meds. Best decision I made.

I had it done after my 4th c-section…it did not add to surgery time or recovery…didn’t even know it was happening

No issues after and it didnt seem to add much time. I will say though, I just turned 30 and had mine done after my second child, and sometimes (rarely but still) wish I could have another baby. Just something to think about!

Literally its 15 extra minutes to do the tubal ligation. No complications everything went smooth. My 3rd c-section to so i already knew my limits. Now afterwords. My periods are way heavier and so much tissue and the scar tissue from my mutiple c-sections ive been diagnosed with endo
As well but instead of tampons or pads i use a diva cup and its so much better. Yay for being fixed!! Ive got 3 boys of my own and im raisi g my 2 nephews i am do e and want no more kids i will deal with the heavy periods to not have another chimd real talk. But i love my boys

I had mine as soon as they took out my daughter. It’s better that way. Your recovery will be rough being a third csection but you’ll be sore due to tubal. It’s worth it.!!!

Was quick, easy, no complications and doesn’t prolong the recovery you would have with c-section. Definitely worth avoiding going back for another surgery.

I had my tubal ligation after my c section when I was 23 years old. Didnt take too long and I had absolutely no complications. The tubal did make me hurt in my back, but that was about it. My recovery time was around 8 days. Then I could walk slowly with very little pain.

I had it done didn’t make things much longer maybe an extra half hour and things went very smooth. Some cramping after but nothing that was not manageable. Have had no complications and mine was done 9 years ago.

I had it done after my last child who was c section in 2015. It was so easy and not a hassle at all. No issues what so ever.

Be aware that once you have your tubes clamped which is what they actually do if you didn’t have painful periods you most likely will. Besides myself every woman I personally know that has had their tubes tied has very painful periods and cramps that they didn’t have before they had them tied.

1 Like

I’m on the other side of the fence with this. I never had a c-section, but I did have a tubal done after my 4th child. I was told that if I had him early enough in the day, I could get surgery that night. I didn’t, I had him at 5:59pm and was scheduled for it first thing the next morning at 8am. I remember being wheeled up to the surgery floor, given medicine “to take the edge off” and I don’t recall much after that. I do remember they woke me up and told me I was back in my room and I was out until about 3-4pm. As far as I know, everything went good. I healed up nicely and haven’t had no problems. This was 6 months ago.

I had it done right after my last baby. She was a csection and everything went smoothly as far as that goes. BUT had I known what I know now I would have also had endometrial ablation along with the tubal ligation. My periods now are soooooo bad and heavy that for 2-3 days I can’t even leave my house bc I have to change every 45 mins. It started right after getting my tubes tied. At first I thought it was bc of my hormones being out of whack and what not but 3.5yrs later I’m still at this point. I had read that it’s 50/50 with some getting lighter bleeding while others get significantly heavier bleeding…I was the latter .

I did mine this february during my 3rd c section. It went fine and healed well. Day 2 was pretty painful, but I feel great now!

Had it done during my 2nd csection, I will say it was a harder recovery for me. And I have ended up on Depo to stop my periods because I had so much blood loss they kept wanting to admit me to the hospital for blood.

That’s the best time to have it done! They are already in the area! It doesn’t make recovery any longer.

Yep. My csection was unplanned. I told them after they told me I needed one “While you’re in there clean that up.” It was almost nothing compared to the csection and took them a couple more minutes (I only had one tube). Also cheaper for insurance purposes. If I hadn’t had the csection my husband would have had a vasectomy, but made no sense since I was cut open.

Absolutely do it as one surgery instead of going in again. A few extra minutes and recovery is the same.

I did in April. My doctor told me it would only add on a couple more mins to my surgery. I hurt a little more than usual after but nothing too bad.

it doesn’t take much longer and it’s easier during the c-sec than after. check with your Doctor about the hospital you plan to deliver at though. I had to change mine as the first did not allow tubal ligations. good luck!

I didn’t have a tubal but I got the essure birth control which is the same concept. Love it! No hormone changes. Was an outpatient surgery. Recovered in a day. I don’t feel it that’s the best part.

I did this I was 34. Only thing for me was the monthly was much worse. Recovery I didn’t notice at all because the c section recovery was going on.

I had this done during my c section. It did not take much longer and in my experience I had no issues afterward. I don’t even have cramps when I get my period. Everything went smoothly.

I had it done with my 5th section. No problems at all. But if i could go back i wouldnt do it. My periods are a mess now. Never on time. Skip months. Painful. My moods are a mess.Had it done 4 years ago and no sign of improving

I did. It took just a little longer than normal and everything went smoothly. Prayers!

I just had my 4th child via c-section (2 months ago; all c-sections) and had the tubal done. It made the surgery maybe 5-10 mins longer. I will say the pain from healing was a whole new level for me, which is saying something because I have a very high pain tolerance. But once they got the medication to the right dose at the right intervals it went smoothly (2 days straight of crying from the pain). Other than that, at the 2 month mark and my first post-birth period, everything is just fine.

My c section with tubal was 3hrs… my csection without it was 1.5hrs but I had a few issues during this pregnancy… pain and recovery was the same as first c section… I felt great after a few days… only issue I’m having now 7m pp is that my period has mysteriously disappeared after being normal since 8 weeks pp

Yep had mine done after my 3rd c section it was a little bit longer ! I had scar tissue so they had to go through that! But i didnt notice anything different!

I had a tubal after my 3rd c-section. I had complications after, postpartum hemorrhage that they couldn’t stop and needed a second procedure to block the blood flow, but also had an almost 10lb baby and had gestational diabetes and preeclampsia. So not really sure what cause the hemorrhage. Im 11 months postpartum and i haven’t had a period in the last 3 months and what seems to be postpartum hernia. Waiting for my Dr to start seeing patients again for an appt .

Had it done after my 3rd c- section. Your tubes are already exposed during your c-section so it was just a cut tie burn. No complications after. I’m an OR nurse and figured it’s easier while I’m already open instead of going back in for a tubal where they make small incisions and blow your belly up with CO2.

They did mine at the same time as my c section…i had very heavy bleeding like never before for almost 10 months… then one day it magically stopped and hadn’t returned in 9 years… so I’m guessing I’m early 30s menopause

Mine was done during my 4th c section. (My 1st was also emergency.) It took a bit longer but not much. And I haven’t had any complications & it’s been two years.

I had mine done right after my last birth. In think it was far easier for recovery instead of any other options.

I had it done at age 27 after the birth of my second set of twins. My dr. took my tubes out as opposed to tying them. He told me there was a lot of scar tissue in my tubes and was surprised I became pregnant with 2 sets of twins 1 year apart. He and I had talked a lot and he knew I did not want other children so he did what he felt was the best means of working with the situation. I had no problems what so ever beyond the normal issues with a C-section. The surgery was not extended beyond the average time (approx. 30 minutes) and things went really smoothly. No ovaries removed or any part of the uterus so there was no need for any type of further medication to prevent menopause as happens with a full hysterectomy. It is not something I have regretted what so ever even though I was a single parent. I never did marry although I have been in serious relationships. I am soon to be 68…so that type of birth control was not something that was common 40 years ago…

I had two C-sections and had a tubal after the second. It went very smoothly and I don’t believe it took very long. My recovery was fast, went back to work after 2 weeks. Good luck

3 c sections. Tubal with the 3rd. Recovery was the same, if not a little easier. Cramps are worse for me now but not unbearable. Periods are about the same, flow wise. Best decision ever. We like sex and I don’t want more kids or to be on BC. Lol.

I had 2 beautiful babies and c sections with both. I know in my heart I couldn’t do it again so I had my tubes removed right after they removed my son. It literally took 20 mins longer tops and the healing time is the same. I’m sure every woman is different but my periods have been very regularge on time but have been pretty heavy and I do have pretty painful cramps. It’s a small price to pay in my mind. I couldn’t put my body through another rough pregnancy and anot her c section. Whatever choice you make will be the right choice for you. Good luck and I pray for a perfect delivery and healthy baby❤

I had a tubal during my c-section. It was my first c-section. It didn’t seem like it took long at all. Though having six kids and the last one a c-section was frustrating for me because I like to get up and go go go right away. I had to slow down due to the c-section. But was back to work in just shy of 4 weeks. Took it easy for the first couple weeks… Then full speed ahead. No sweat.

Wasn’t too much longer, no complications, just recovery was more painful also noticed menstrual cycles and cramping increased.

I did! Went great only added about 20 extra minutes wasn’t bad, recovery was normal for a c section. I only noticed a slight pain, like a mild cramp, when my bowl filled other than that no problem or extra pain

I was hoping to do the same but couldn’t cuz I delivered in a Catholic hospital. So make sure policy wise it’s attainable at the hospital you want to deliver at.

Procedure went smoothly. 2nd c-section went better than the 1st (emergency) recovery the 2nd time was easier.

They did mine right after my cesarean. It was my 4th one, and it didn’t really prolong anything at all, it only took an extra couple minutes. With everything going on, you really don’t notice. They will usually ask you in the table if you want them to proceed with it though. Unless of course they put you to sleep, then they should do it with prior consent.

I did with my 3rd c-section. I’d say it added less than 10 minutes and recovery wasn’t any different for me.

4 c-sections here. Tubal after the last. Not my hardest recovery, not my easiest either. But I definitely felt it

I have 4 c sections and they did with my 4th surgery was fine healing was definitely different and longer

I had my tubes tied right after my son was born. I don’t recall it taking too long. Everything went fine with it. After is another story. I had never had bad periods ever. Light bleeding and tops 4 days. No cramps. Nothing. Well after my tubes were tied. My periods got worse. Still about 4 days but heavy bleeding m( I would soak a super tampon in an hour), I had horrible cramps. That went on for years. Until on day when I had enough and I went to my ob/gyn. I told him about it and he suggested removing my tubes completely and he thinned my cervix. That was maybe 3/5 years ago and I know long get my period at all. I wanna say 2016 was my last period and I love it.

Remember this is only my experience. I had mine removed and I regret it every single day. Not only do I want another baby but it made my periods 100 times worse. The cramping had me doubled over in pain. The flow was like water. It would just gush out. Clots the size of golf balls. And my hormones went crazy. I had very dark thoughts about self harm because of the hormones. I became anemic because they were so heavy. I had to get the mirena to stop everything. I wish I had never done it.

I had mine done the day after vaginal birth (I know not your question) in addition to my almost 9# son ripping me I felt like the inside if my abdomen was ripping apart when I moved from tubal. I had no choice but to take Motrin and pain med to get through the days with a newborn. Good luck momma.

It made my surgery like 15 mins longer. Recovery wasn’t bad at all I didn’t see a difference from my first c section to my last when I had the tubal done. I don’t really have any issues except for the occasional weird cramps. It’s been about three years now and things have been good

It is so quick as part of the csection you wont know. No additional pain, etc…had it done 34 years ago after 2nd csection

I did! Unfortunately i had to have mine done for my safety :frowning: but it took 5 minutes per side so 10minutes extra before they stitch you up. No extra pain or anything same heing as before

I just got it done 4 month ago tomorrow! Only took about 15 to 20 mins more after babys out. I had 2 csections. I feel great and love that I don’t have to worry about birth control and I feel like my sex drive is higher :woman_shrugging:t5: not sure if that has anything to do with it

I had a c/s with my twins and had a tubal right after. Mine DID go longer as I had to have an ovary and rub removed due to a large mass they found. But no complications surgery related!

I had a tubal after my 4th during the c-section. No problems and the same healing instruction as the section. The only thing you need to check out is the insurance coverage. Some insurances will not pay the tubal portion when it’s done with another procedure,which is stupid. It would cost more to have another surgery and anesthesia payment… One surgery one anesthesia less chance of complications.

Had it done during my second c-section. Def recommend rather than scheduling a 2nd surgery as they both have similar side effects.

I had emergency c section. Doctor snipped my bladder and my intestine. I needed repair which I got on top of the tubal ligation. I would of been out the hospital within 2 weeks if the incision wouldn’t have gotten infected. So I was at hospital 31 days and left with and open incision w a seal vacuum for 60 days after I left.

Everything went great but the thing nobody tells you after you have a tubal is how awful your periods are. I would literally bleed for 28 days, finally stop, only to start again a few days later. It was terrible. I ended up getting Mirena inserted and my periods went away. I haven’t had a period in 5 years and it’s been glorious. :raised_hands:t2:

Yes,with my third C-section, my recovery was slower and a lot more painful.

I had it done with my 3rd c section. About the same recovery as the other 2 c sections. Didnt feel a whole lot different.

I had my second child at 37 and i ended up with a c section and had my tubes tied afterwards. Tho I wanted no more children I will say I had a sense of loss having my tubes tied, also my period is much worse. Recovering sucked but I think that could have been the c section, I’m not sure my first child was vaginally.

I had a tubal during my 3rd c section. I had no complications with any of them. It did take a little longer after the birth to do it maybe like 20 more mins. And I will say my periods are heavier at times but it’s worth not having to worry about birth control especially if you know you don’t want anymore kids. Oh and I’m 30 as well. Was 29 when I had it done! Hope this helps and good luck.

I had a tubal after my 4th csection 4 weeks ago. I’ve regretted the decision since. I was so set on having one before having my daughter but the ability for me to choose to have another baby is gone and I am so emotional about it. The hormones from having the tubal and a baby have me all over the place. It also affected my Blood pressure.

I’d get directly after. I’m currently down from getting a tubal an my son is 8 months old. I wish they would have done it during my csection. They said I would be down for the day of my procedure and the following day and I’d be fine. Procedure was done monday an I still havent felt safe or ok enough to be left alone with them.

I had mine done after my 3rd c section and the time was not much of a difference. I was in a lot of pain after in comparison with my other c sections. I was under morphine. But after a couple of days it was more bothersome than any pain really.

Your situation is EXACTLY the way mine was. No complications just a little extra pain and a couple extra days rest.

It only added an extra 5 minutes to my 3rd c-section and there was really no extra pain added. If you know you’re done, it’s worth just doing it while you’re in the OR already!!

I did ~ only a couple extra minutes ~ but at that time I had twins (#4&5)…i was older 35 & thought I too was done. Honestly I wish I had not!!! I ended up have it reversed about 8 1/2 years later (unfortunately even though I was an excellent candidate & very fertile per dr words ~ I was not able to get pregnant again). I before that blinked & I was pregnant!
I personally would wait…just to be safe that in 5 or 10 years you do not want another child. I was aidement I didn’t want more kids after having 2 losses & then 5 bio kids (last ones were twins). At 49 I just adopted & would still love one or two more!

Just be sure cause it’s hard to undo!