Do kids need to go to preschool?

You know what’s best for YOUR child and it’s none of their business …

Immensely benefited my son for socialization and having the foundation needed for kindergarten. I firmly believe he is as high ability as he is from the Pre-k and his half days 2 days a week at 2 and 3 years old.

my exs daughter didn’t go and she’s doing swimmingly well started school at 5

You want your child to have every advantage when it comes to education. Part of educating your child is preparing him socially. When he starts school for the very first time, but with other children who have been in daycare & already gone to preschool, he might feel overwhelmed, and his social skills might not be as developed as the other children.

Another issue is childhood illnesses. The sooner he’s “exposed” to other children, the sooner he will start developing a more tolerable immune system. Daycare and preschool kids get the runny noses and the colds and different viruses, but this helps them build their immune system to be more tolerable as they get older, so they don’t seem to be getting as sick as frequently when they move up in the grade levels.

Look at it this way … preschool is like basic training camp.

But if you don’t want your child to go, and if the laws in your state don’t require it, then the decision is up to you, not your family & friends.

7 Likes

My son was in PreK, and you’d be surprised at what all they learn.

1 Like

None of my six children went.and they good as can be.

I didnt go to prek my parents homeschooled me for prek and I was way ahead of all the other kids educationally and socially my parents and I were always complimented through my entire elementary school years because of this, im planning to home school my kids when I happen to have them but each child is differently they may think your chold may benefit from it in a social stand point not so much an educational one but its youre kid you do whats you think is absolutely best for your household and ignore the hate

1 Like

My baby is 2 next month she carnt go for a good few years I work 12 hours so does her dad work 12 hours child care cost to much so one works while one has baby and then swap every 4 days
4 on and off

I wish I had with my first. My second started in May at one of the best private schools in our area and she’s doing amazing!

Some states are different I live in Texas Pre-K is not required kindergarten though you’ve got to enroll I enrolled my four year old and 3-year-old in pre-k only because they have special needs. And I’m able to unenroll them at any given time if I decide I don’t want to do it anymore.

Yes, to be prepared for kindergarten. Head start is good option.

2 Likes

I’d ask them why they feel he needs it. Maybe they just think he needs to socialize with kids his age more - if that’s their reasoning there’s other ways of providing that to him

No they don’t need it, it just helps them adjust better in kindergarten but they don’t “need” it

1 Like

Idk if it varies by state but here you HAVE to have them enrolled no later then age 5 by the start of the school year. If you don’t you have to legally apply to homeschool. Failure to do so can be considered neglect because you’re “denying education”.

Personally I would have enrolled them just to get them used to the environment and kids etc if they’re not normally round kids, but it’s up to you at the end of the day if you think it’s best for them to stay home and you teach them basic stuff which they’d learn there anyway

1 Like

Yes. Because there is more to learn now. Also easier for kids to learn social skills when the kids are younger

I guess it would depend on the reasons you have not enrolled him. And who you did it for

That is a decision for you and your husband to come up with together but not for anyone else to decide. I have 3 biological children and 2 step kids and my 2 oldest and 2 step daughters all did headstart which teaches the same as prek. And my 2 year old daughter will as well next year when she turns 3. But I never went to prek nor did my husband. It does give the foundation for learning that benefit kids and socialization. But it is not for anyone to complain about other than you or your husband. He should have a say in your children’s education. Good luck

2 Likes

I think so my nephew learned a lot in pre k and I always thought it was Pre K than Kindergarten than 1st through 12th grade or maybe I’m wrong but I always thought it was required

l Get paid over $113 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $19345 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://IncomeGreat412.pages.dev/

Not required but very helpful!!! 3 of my children went.

1 Like

Nursery And Pe school Is optional I Believe… HOWEVER it’s good for them To Start Early Learn Social skills And Learn other stuff. It Will help when they Start Primary School

7 Likes

It is an easier transition in my opinion then just throwing them into kindergarten when they actually have to go but they don’t need to go no it’s your choice

3 Likes

Pre k I’d not required but very beneficial. It teaches children socialization, life skills, how to be a good student etc. If you call your local prek and discuss it you may be surprised at learning more. Ultimately though it’s the child’s parents decision. I would tell the family members thanks for the concern but not their place.

1 Like

l Get paid over $113 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $19345 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://IncomeGreat440.pages.dev/

just helps them get on with others etc. social development etc. but if hes getting that at home… n doingf school stuff he should be ok.

1 Like

They get educated by mom at home and loved on more before kindergarten. Neither one of my kids went to prek, they are now 11 and 15 and make As and Bs, my oldest is a sophomore and taking AP and honors classes. Tell them to mind their own business your child is not their child

5 Likes

Yes! Teaches them to hold a pencil, letters numbers how to write their name. How to get along w other kids. So many benefits

4 Likes

It’s not a big deal, just work on recognizing/writing letters and their name, colors, ABCs, shapes preschool stuff. My oldest didn’t do preschool and he’s totally fine, my younger 2 both did 2yrs of preschool. My middle son hates school and it’s a battle, my youngest daughter loves school and loves to learn. Total toss up, just make sure your little is prepared when they start kindergarten. You could look into half day preschool options, my kids only went 3hrs a day so they got used to being away and learned how to behave as school, but they weren’t doing full days yet :slightly_smiling_face:

It can help them deal with kindergarten so much better, emotionally etc if they are either the first born or the youngest of your kids. But it costs more weekly to send them to preschool, so are the husband’s parent/s going to assist paying for you to send your child? Can they help with up to 50% of the costs? If not, they can stay silent and let you decide for yourself!

1 Like

My 15 year old didn’t go to preschool and she’s a straight A student. Very smart!!

1 Like

As someone who has taught Pre-k Through Grade 2 for many years, I think it depends on your child completely! Why do they say he needs it? Just bc its common to send them, or because he is lacking social skills? If he is well adjusted and independent he should be fine without it. Although academics are introduced in Prek, the most important aspect is gaining independence and social skills.

9 Likes

My first didnt go. She makes all A’s and B’s all year every yr. It just depends how much u work with them. She is in 4th and is doing great! My 2nd I will send because she needs more socializing I think and to learn to say sounds better even tho I work with her. I think she would benefit for sure. She is 3.5!

No! Pre school in ny is not required. My 4 (2 months shy of 5) is starting kindergarten the 6th of this month. She’s never been to pre k or preschool. I think it’s best to wait. They have their whole lives to be in school. They need our love more than they need to learn to write At 3! Just my option. You are mom! You make the best decision for your babies.!

2 Likes

No, your child your choice.

All 5 of mine went to preschool so I couldn’t give you a comparison. I do know it helps with socialization and separation anxiety (if they haven’t been in daycare) since it’s usually just a few hours a day and/or a few days a week. So it’s especially helpful if he doesn’t have siblings and is clingy. They also learn shapes, colors, letters, and numbers. I will say to prepare for him to be sick alot the first few months bc his immune system will be in overdrive with all the exposure. My 3yo nephew is going through that now, I swear he’s been sick at least 4 times since May. He’s an only child though and I can see how much he’s matured since May. He was already extremely smart but he’s more outgoing and independent now. :heart:

2 Likes

I never sent my child to preschool. She’s in 11th grade making good grades going for her advanced high school diploma. She will only need 4 credits next yr to graduate. She’s studying to be a forensic tech. She’s 16. So preschool has nothing to do with it.

1 Like

I’m homeschooling for preschool

It is definitely a huge help in preparing them for kindergarten. There’s no reason not to.

5 Likes

I homeschooled for preschool

Nothing happens. Pre-K is not required…

1 Like

Nowadays without preschool they’re behind when they start school. Kindergarten is not like it used to be, there’s a curriculum to follow and they are taught and graded on more than social skills and the very basics. Here teachers know whether kids have went to preschool, and which one they went to, by what they know when kindergarten assessments are done the 1st week of school.

4 Likes

I think its a good idea for them to go. My son really enjoyed playing with other kids and socializing. Not to mention being around other kids got him to talk a lot more. At the end of the day its your call and what you feel most comfortable doing, you know your child best.

1 Like

It helped my daughter develop so much

1 Like

I was never made to go to preschool. Mom started me in kindergarten. Would it have helped the transition process? Maybe. I had a very hard time being away from my mom. The first 3 months of kindergarten, all I did was cry when she dropped me off at school. It got to the point where my teacher asked me if there were any problems at home like if my parents were going through a divorce or something but no I just wanted my mommy 🫶🏻😂 but to the point of all of this, no I don’t think it’s necessary, but if your child has been stuck to you like glue since day one, preschool wouldn’t hurt.

I’ll always advocate for prek! Its such a good thing and helps them tremendously. My 10 year old went, and my 5 year old is currently in it. My other two will go as well

1 Like

I never sent mine to pre-k… I worked with her here at home, writing her name, abcs, counting, coloring, etc.

2 Likes

Totally depends on each individual child. If your child is outgoing and has good social skills and interacts with other peers at other settings such as church, library story times, then that’s great. If shy, awkward, then could definitely benefit. Every family and child is different.

1 Like

I think it depends on the child as well as your parenting style. I didn’t send mine to preschool we did preschool learning workbooks, learning activities etc etc at home by the time they got to kindergarten my daughter always complained about being bored cuz we learned it already at home but she liked making friends. and my son well LOL he told his kindergarten teacher he learned more at home and he already knew how to do her stuff and fought with me everyday because he had to go to school he was a bit dramatic when he was little lol but it was true everything she was teaching in kindergarten he had already learned at home I took her all his preschool workbooks that I had at home and let her review them and then her and the school made a decision that he didn’t need full-time kindergarten and with my approval we moved him to a half day kindergarten class. I believe that you are legally required to have your children registered for school by the time they’re 6 years old but I don’t believe that preschool/headstart is a requirement.

You are perfectly capable of teaching your child anything they would learn in preschool- and do a better more individualized job, and socialize them without outsourcing their care for hours a day

4 Likes

So I don’t think they should come for you it’s not that deep it’s your choice. However I do think preschool is a good idea. I’m a preschool teacher,all of my children went to preschool. It helps with social & emotional skills, it prepares them for kindergarten. Kindergarten has changed they want children to be able to completely dress and tie they own shoe. Be able to recite and recognize the alphabet and numbers shape patterns.
In kindergarten they are learning how to read write and add and subtract.
Do what’s best for you and your child. I wish y’all the best.

Mine didn’t. I taught her the basics…also because of covid she started kindergarten a yr late

In SC (atleast where I live) they do k4 (pre-k) screenings. If your child knows most of their ABC’s, colors and some numbers they do not get accepted. Its for the kids that are struggling with learning only and even then its optional.

1 Like

Preschool help prepare them academically and socially for kindergarten.

If you homeschooling for preschool and have social play dates preschool at a facility isn’t necessary

l Get paid over $114 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $19220 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://IncomeGreat504.pages.dev/

It’s mandatory for children to attend preschool ( kindy in Australia) , but in all honesty it helped my daughter transition from being at home all day everyday to going to big school ( prep for Australia and kindergarten elsewhere).

I dont understand why all of these young parents aren’t sending their kids to head start or preschool anymore? I have a cousin who just turned 6 and still isn’t enrolled in school this year. Ultimately its your choice until the state steps in or you start home schooling but you think you’d want your child in school and learning? My daughter turns 3 in March and I’m enrolling her in head start for the fall because I want her to learn as much as she can and she LOVES being around kids so that’ll help her be more social since she doesn’t have siblings yet.

1 Like

Nothing. You just have to teach them letter and number recognition and to write their name. My daughter skipped because of COVID and now she’s right on track in first grade

I see the positives of preschool like getting your child used to being out of your home, socialization with children their age etc. but I also see it as the last year they have to not have a schedule and to just get to be little so I chose not to send my daughter. I wanted her to get to be home with me that last year. I think a lot of people do preschool because it’s free or cheaper than daycare which is understandable. I will probably send my son and don’t think it makes you a good or bad parent if you do or don’t.

1 Like

No, my girl didn’t and she started kindergarten this year and is doing amazing!

I believe preschool helps a child adjust to what it’s going to be like in school. It teaches them they have to sit still & pay attention to someone talking, even if they are not interested in what they are saying. :laughing: It helps them with diversity, that there are several types of people out there.

1 Like

My grandson is 4 and got enrolled this year…he LOVES it… and it helps prepare them for kindergarden…its not a must…but now days pro ably a good idea in my opinion…they learn alot of skills that help there kindergarten year be more successful

l Get paid over $109 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $14297 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://proworkings1188.pages.dev/

You don’t ever get that precious time back. I also didn’t send any of mine. My children all love to be around other kids, they are smart, well read and we also did decide to homeschool long term. There are benefits to both, keeping them home and preschool. If you have the means to teach them and be there, that’s a beautiful thing! :raised_hands:

It definitely helps a lot of kids, especially if they’ve never been in a program likes a mothers morning out.

Pre-K is to help get them ready for kindergarten. We are not doing state pre-K for my kids. My daughter did a 9-1 program for age 3 and pre k. And we will do the same for our son. I now work with this school and we do circle time, learning, center, so much.

But it helps them learn to eat with a group of kids, opens lunch themselves, how to sit somewhat still, plus they get an awesome jump start on learning and writing

As a teacher I definitely think there’s a plus side to it. But not necessary if you are working with him at home. RegArdless this isn’t life or death so they need to hush

Nothing happens if you don’t enroll your child in pre-school. They just start school at the kindergarten level.

I’m not saying it’s serious enough for your husbands family to come at you over, but there are benefits to pre-school. Not only does your child get a jump education wise, but they also get a jump socialization wise and I feel like having your child in pre-school helps prepare them for school. It not only allows them to begin their learning earlier as well as their socialization, but most pre-schools are part-time, either so many hours a day or so many days a week and that allows them to get used to full-day, full-year school and makes the transition from being with mom all day every day to being in school easier. Not to mention, it frees up some time for you.

1 Like

I teach 3rd grade and 95% of the time I can tell a difference in kids who didn’t attend VPK. I would absolutely send them.

2 Likes

Headstart and preschool is so good for little ones

1 Like

No. There’s no need for it. However if your kid isn’t used to being away from you then a part time preschool is very helpful so they don’t have to jump right to a full week of school in kindergarten. Academically they learn everything in kindergarten and a ton of review in first grade.

1 Like

They don’t “need” but it helps. I didn’t send my youngest but she attended daycare so she knew some what of what to expect when Kindergarten came.

If your child is 4 they should be going into Kindergarten. I think it’s very important for them. My kids all went to kindergarten and they learned so much and had a great time.

l Get paid over $114 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $19220 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://IncomeGreat527.pages.dev/

Nothing happens if you don’t send them. Because of covid,I didn’t send mine. I would just enjoy the last year you have all day with them.

My older two only went to senior kindergarten and then into grade 1. Junior kindergarten isn’t mandatory where I am ( ontario Canada) they were just fine. Junior kindergarten is meant to introduce routine and socialize with other kids. If you’re taking the kid to the park everyday and he’s socializing and you’re sitting with him teaching him how to trace the dots to make letters and numbers, counting with him etc, then Junior kindergarten isn’t necessary.

Neither of my kids went to preschool. My son is now in high school and excelling in honors and advanced placement classes. But we did a lot of educational play when they were young prior to starting kindergarten. There was a list of things they should know before starting kindergarten. How to write their name. Know the alphabet. Etc. My daughter’s kindergarten teacher last year said she would have never guessed she didnt go to preschool. She was on the same level as the children who did go.

My daughter’s friend group from preschool is still together, they are 22 now

Yes I regrets not sending my child to preschool. He is behind in kindergarten because of this

Nothing… my daughter just started kindergarten and is the top of her class and she never has been to preschool. It depends on how much the parent teaches the child.

1 Like

Every kid is different. It prepares them for kinder. Get’s them used to to being away from you and the home. They may not need to prepare for that, but some do. Depends on how mature they are. Best luck!!!

Neither of my kids went and the are both excelling we did a lot of practicing with numbers colors workbook’s

It’s not required by law until a certain age it’s state dependent. Some stated kindergarten is optional also.

For starters, some states have an income limits for prek as well, so no I would say that’s absurd to just outright say that. I didn’t go bc of that reason, and when going into kindergarten they wanted to put me in first. My youngest got to go (which sometimes I regret) but our second didn’t bc we make too much :woman_shrugging: do stuff at home with them. Print out worksheets, do activities or art projects, help them learn the basics and they’ll be fine!

Will it help yes with getting use to a school ish setting and being away from mom and dad. Is it mandatory they go NO I have three girls the two oldest one went one didn’t and both did fine in kindergarten. Because even if they don’t go to preschool they still go to kindergarten. I’m putting my youngest in only because she’s too attached to me and I know she needs other kids to play with besides me. And our area just started offering free preschool to those that can’t afford it. If we had to pay she wouldn’t be going.

None of my kids went to pre school.

We skip prek and kinder

YOUR CHILD YOUR CHOICE!!! My only 2cents I can add is I did this and didn’t enroll my kiddo anywhere till kindergarten and I feel he’s behind

1 Like

It’s your choice not your family!

Its more about developmental skill socially with others and becoming more autonomous. I ask my daughter, 5 years old how school is everyday. She says it was so much fun, we played all day, painted, build stuff, did story time, then the teacher had us clean up our mess. That was fun too. She was so excited to learn how to write her own name. Lol. Beyond that, she learned to categorized friends and foes. Most importantly she made several BFF that started kindergarten the next year with her. Until today, she keeps asking to go back to preschool, those memories of fun and love makes her want to go to school everyday. It just makes transitioning into kinder so much easier for the kids. For us, learning social skills and fun through learning is important bc those memories will help them get through the tough road ahead.

My daughter went to 2 years of nursery school. Same thing at the time, I guess. They need the interaction

It’s not a requirement, but it does help them socialize in a school setting to help transition to elementary

1 Like

I’d say it depends. Does she have good social skills? Does she work on her alphabet at home? Do you think she will struggle with out it? If not then I’d say she’ll be OK. I mostly wanted mine to go because he was an only child and wanted him to have good social skills and wanted him to have structure and get familiar with a school setting.

You can enroll him still. Even if you choose not to…start abc mouse the first month is free. Try it out it’s fabulous. But at the same time. I didnt put my kids in headstarts since it’s just like a daycare basically. But Pre-K yes cause he struggled but abc mouse did wonders.

Just make sure they know how to play with other kids, follow directions, ABC and sounds, colors, shapes, identify 1-10, and count to at least 20 preferably 100… we didn’t do preschool, but we made sure they were prepared

No, it isn’t mandatory. It is very helpful though.

Preschool is not required, neither is Kindergarten, actually. Though I would recommend doing kindergarten, if you’re not homeschooling, just so they’re better prepared for 1st grade. My son skipped preschool and was ahead of his classmates in kindergarten. It’s up to you. Just make sure you’re working with them so they’re ready!

Our school has you fill out a questionnaire about your child. Questions about their mental development, motor skills, can they say the ABCs and count to a certain number. Things like that. Then it’s the school that decides if your child would benefit from preschool. Our daughter didn’t get into the preschool program because she could already do most of the things, we really just wanted her to go for the social interaction. Children don’t really need preschool, and most of those that didn’t go catch up real fast when they enter kindergarten because in my opinion kindergarten is just a review of what they learned in preschool with maybe a few new things thrown in there.

My first who is now 10 went to head start twice then prek. Mainly because I was a single mom and had to work. Now my younger 2 who are 2 & 3 I had to put in a daycare that is actually a preschool since the youngest was 6 months old due to working. Honestly I feel that was the best decision I ever made. My 3 year old holds whole conversations and not just normal kid ones. He knows his colors numbers abcs and is very social with any kid around. His 2 year old sister is the same way just a little less due to she is still younger. They both amaze me with the knowledge and skills they have at such a young age . The have more reasoning and understanding then most kids their age because they have had others teaching and telling them what to do most of their life versus just mom and dad who would give their way or not. They also have learned what hurts others feeling. They are very good kids. If I would have known I would have started my daughter as young as I did them because she was a little behind when starting prek but has since caught up. To me the earlier u start them the better chance they have

As long as you’re making sure he’s ready for kindergarten he doesn’t need it.

Legally where I’m at your kid needs to be in school by 6. But if you wait that long some kids have a difficult time adjusting an fall behind because the other kids have been going for 2 years by then.