Do you let your son play with nerf guns?

I buy them for my girls. :blush:

My son has all sorts of Nerf guns. We all play with them. We also have handguns in the house (safely) and everyone learns gun safety. Nerf guns are toys. They look like toys. And they “play” like toys. I feel if you teach them about safety and responsibility, they grow up to be responsible people. I can’t shelter my kids from the craziness of this world, but I can try my best to prepare them.

10 Likes

Absolutely yes my 2 sons and my daughter have nerf guns and have a blast playing with them it’s all in good fun just no shooting in the face that is the only rule I have

^^^This was going to be my exact answer!!
I don’t get restricting Nerf guns. Its a toy. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

My 2 have them as they asked for them. We often have nerf wars with them (great exercise :joy:) no shooting at faces or animals and all has been good so far. ( boy aged 11 and aged girl 9)

Yes. I’ll play with him. The only rule I have is no shooting people in the face or privates and no shooting the animals

My son doesn’t play with them because he is small. But my daughter loves them.

Never bought them for a son but all 3 of my girls have had them. Many great memories were made withnerf fun fights

My boys have all sorts of nerf guns

I have one son and one SO. They both have nerf guns :joy: I don’t care it keeps them busy

My boys are 5 and 6 and yes we have need guns. The whole house gets into nerf wars.just have two rules not the face and dont shoot mommy in the belly cause shes pregnant. Lol.

2 Likes

Yes, no shooting at the face or up close, they run around while playing or set up cans to shoot at. They have fun for a while

My son has tons of nerf guns!

My boys have had every nerf gun ever made

My son has tons of nurf guns and he loves them. We just tell him to aim it at the wall or at his toy box or give him something to aim at in front of the wall so he doesn’t hit anybody. Now do I love them? Not so much :joy: but he does.

1 Like

Nope hes not allowed them i dont agree with any
Toy guns or knifes ect , xx

1 Like

So my sons, 7 and 3, wanted them for Christmas. Apparently we didn’t do our research. We got them one, I forget the version, but it wasn’t huge. Man those things can shoot. They shoot very hard and fast. Personally I don’t like them. They are much different now then when we were kids. Maybe when they are a bit older.

Yeah my son has like five of them I just taught him he can only use them in his room and not to shoot people with them

We have nerf guns in our house. My husband and I play with them too. We had our own nerf war the other night when the kids were in bed :joy: Our youngest son is still too young but our oldest (4) plays with us. He knows he isnt allowed to aim for the face and if somebody asks him not to shoot it at them he knows not to. He usually uses them unloaded to “help” his dad kill zombies in his VR games.

3 Likes

My youngest has tons of nerf guns as well as ninja “supplies” and play sword. We try to teach him proper gun safety with them as well as targets in his room.

2 Likes

:woman_facepalming: yes, I agree let the children play, got 3 kids and the played with nerf guns and water guns and my kids are perfectly fine, cause mine were taught from a early age the difference in right and wrong way to play, I guess they can’t play cops and robbers and cowboy and Indians any more either, let them be kids!

1 Like

I buy them for mine, we all run around as a family

2 Likes

Well I don’t have a son, I didn’t realize that guns were only for boys :joy: my girls have nerf guns and play with toy guns.

10 Likes

I used to let my son and step son when they were younger, but after they both continued to shoot at each other’s faces and cause all kinds of arguing with me and my other half, over who’s fault it was I banned them from the house!
When my step son got one for xmas off a family member I sent it to his mums house,

Damn, I dont have a son, but my daughter whose 2 has nerf guns.

Oh yes!!! We have nerf battles with the whole family. Only rule is, we all wear our sunglasses to protect eyes. It works well because my 5yo thinks he is badass with the glasses on. Also fun to leave one gun by door with a note for dad, saying “here is your gun, we are hiding somewhere”.

2 Likes

My girls play with nerf guns, nothing wrong with them.
Their father is also teaching them gun safety with our guns.

1 Like

Yes. Teach them at this young of an age you don’t point guns at people. Start early. The less curious they are and the more knowledgeable you can be.

I have all girls but yes I would let mine play with them as long as they dont purposely shoot people in the eye. Its foam with suction cups on it. Usually harmless. No point in not letting them have a lil fun.

1 Like

I don’t have a son but my 2 girls use the nerf guns in the house with basic rules.

1 Like

My daughter and I play with them, we teach her the difference between toys and real guns and the difference between playing and something that could harm/kill. It’s a toy :woman_shrugging:t2: let kids have fun but teach them about real life

4 Likes

Mine is too young, but he won’t be allowed to play with them unless he’s in his own backyard and being supervised. I have no problems with Nerf guns, but there have been way too many stories about people getting shot because they “had a gun” that turned out to be a harmless toy.

Yes my boys are 4 & 6 and they have a nerf gun collection lol. Even nerf gun walkie talkies. It was great during quarantine cuz it’s the perfect social distancing game for outside. They played with their friends in the backyard. They have a blast. Rules are no shooting Up close and no face.

My boys 6 and 9 have tones of n nerf guns and have had them for years

Absolutely, so much family fun to be had, hiding behind furniture and commando crawling around the house. Toy guns don’t make kids want to grow up and shoot people being uneducated about right and wrong does this

1 Like

Nerf guns are totally ok. Boys have a natural lean towards guns trucks and other traditionally boy toys

My 9 y.o. loves his nerf guns, his BB gun, and his bow.

Waiting on my 11mo to be able to shoot back before introducing my recent 4yo :joy: Unless he asks then we’ll let him with rules but he’s so into anything with a motor & dinosaurs he hasn’t asked yet. Thought about getting him one for Easter but the 2nd born picks up so much from big brother I believe waiting another 6m it might actually be an almost fair fight! 4yo was our 1st & some things like candy he didn’t ask for until almost 3 & soda he still doesn’t so I’m not going to just offer (Yes he went trick or treating young but quickly forgot about it) Also older cousins have them but I think he struggles pulling the trigger (he’s small, a premie & 11mo has almost caught him in weight)

Only reason we don’t buy our son nerf guns is because my dog freaks out. It is either the sound or whatever. Plus he eats the bullets lol

Why is nerf guns only for boys?
My boy and my girl have nerf guns

We are a 2A household. The younger we train them to respect firearms, the better off we will be. I have two boys.

2 Likes

I let my daughter play with one :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Can’t wait for my 2 year old to be old enough to get them. Me and his dad have nerf wars all the time. Just waiting on our son to get involved to have more fun!

Yes, it’s a blast!! :sweat_smile:

My daughter has nerf guns she’s been collecting them over the years and love playing with them of course we have a couple of different targets which is more appropriate that shooting each other with them haha xx

Nerf guns are the shiznit :rofl: I have always bought them for my boys. I would say they are more appropriate for children 5 yrs and older because most are difficult to cock back to shoot. Unless you don’t mind being asked 20 million times to load it for them :roll_eyes: the only con I say is the bullets … They either get lost,broken or are all over the floor in the house :rofl: plus with targets and face shields it’s been made a bit safer. Just always lay out the rule never shoot in the face! Otherwise it’s a fun way to play for the whole family :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My boys are 8 and 5. They’ve played with nerf guns since our oldest was 2. Maybe before then. Our oldest is my step son and he was playing with them when I met my husband and he was 2. We set rules for them. Like no shooting in the face or there private parts. And they know the difference between a real gun and a nerf gun. We raise our boys to respect weapons of all kinds because a weapon is only as dangerous as the person holding it. :woman_shrugging:

My husband and I had nerf wars all the time and can’t wait until our son is old enough to join in!

I tell mine they can only use them if they pretend they’re hunting for dinner.

no but my daughter had a bow and arrow because toys are not gendered

2 Likes

Yep, all 3. My 2 oldest are grown now and haven’t murdered anyone. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, big collection here.

Yes, my son is 6.5 and we have nerf wars. We have so much fun. We do wear safety glasses when we have our nerf wars.

My 8 month old already has his 1st. My 9yo daughter has plenty as well.

I allowed mine to have them but had to take them away they shoot at each other (thanks youtube) and in the house and our rules are nerf guns are shot outside and at targets of some sort

1 Like

I let my 5 year old daughter play with nurf guns

Yup, have a big tote full of them. We love our nerf battles and soon we will be getting the laser tag as well!

My sons have them. My daughters do not. The girls have to sit on the sidelines and watch the boys play because Nerf is only for boys :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

We play with nerf guns. A household with 3 girls. All different ages. They love it. They also have boxing gloves & a punching bag. There is rules to it which typically don’t even have to be enforced. They aren’t out to hurt each other. It’s a harmless fun stress reliever that we can all enjoy as a family. They know the difference between violence and play… I don’t see why not!

I have a girl but I buy her nerf guns. We have nerf wars all around the house. I buy them for her because they are fun and she loves them

2 Likes

Yess my son’s own 12. We all play nerf war. We laugh and attack. Some of best times are these nerf guns.

1 Like

Yep! Our rule is never point it at a person only a target. If they have a nerf gun war with others no pointing in the face.

5 Likes

I will buy some soon I feel like my oldest is to the age that he knows and understands gun rules and will respect them. My youngest isnt there yet though.

Yes…just bought my 6 yr old a bow and arrow too

1 Like

Yep just do not shoot in the face

1 Like

Yes for both my daughter and son. We have taught them both that real guns are for hunting animals to provide food for our family. When we play with the burg guns, we aim below the head.

1 Like

Id be ok with pellet guns, better than them not knowing

1 Like

My daughter’s love them, so do lol.

Yes my boys have nurf guns 8 &6 but we have rules.

Yes! I have 2 boys and 2 girls and they all have nerf guns and have nerf wars! Only rule is not to point it in the face!

2 Likes

My daughters, my husband and i have our own nerf gun.
We all go outside to play, but they know not to point to their face.

Why just the boy mums?? I have a six year old girl who has lots of nerf guns!!

I intend to let my kid(s) play with them. I think saying playing with very unrealistic looking toy guns encourages violence is a HUGE jump.

One, even in an anti-gun household if that’s your value, it’s still a good idea to teach gun safety because you cannot childproof the world and in a country with lax gun laws gun safety is a necessary life skill.

Two, playing with nerf guns is a fantastic way to get kids up and active which is inceasingly difficult in today’s time.

3 Likes

Only boys like nerf guns?

3 Likes

Some rules should be applied; such as 1. Never in the eyes and 2. Make sure you know what to use as target; either people (if they also want to play) or target :dart: toy/wall or cardboard

1 Like

I did, until he started incessantly shooting his sisters, in the face. Then I outlawed them lol. He was much younger though. I would consider totally getting them all one now.

Oh yeah, they’re a lot of fun! I love having nerf wars

Yeap both my sons and my daughter love them alot we have nerf wars all the time lol

Yes they are fun but remind them no facing nerf guns at themselves or others cause it hurts so bad to be shot by one.

We have wall of them

We have them but we never point any gun at a person, only targets. We tell them that we always assume all guns are real and loaded and never point them at people. Our boys are young so we’re using it as an opportunity to teach gun safety… How do we carry, load, aim, store our weapons. My oldest has asked about shooting bad guys if they come in and we simply told him that until you have training, you let us worry about bad guys and your job is to hide from bad guys. That said, we love target practice and have tons of noisy light up targets to practice on.

1 Like

My son, 12, has many nerf guns. He always had such a good time playing with them. My man is military so “handling” even a fake gun we show respect. I imagine my daughter will have them also.

Yes my boy has about 12 nerf guns. We pretend they’re like real guns so he can learn to respect actual guns.

Only to be shot outside.
Only at targets.
Don’t shoot nothing you don’t plan to kill.

As a mom to both boys and girls who love nerf guns… Their is no feeling quite like being shot in the throat whilst trying to prepare a Xmas dinner :joy:

5 Likes

Yes my son and daughter play with them.

Depends. If they know the difference between imagination and real life as well as knowing real life safety.

5 Likes

No. Because I’m a whimp and we have so many toys already without me being injured.
I got my partner one years ago - now bear in mind he was a soldier on the front line with a bloody good aim - and he shot his mum at ‘point blank range’ and hit her right in the eye. I’m suprised he didn’t blind her!

Nerf guns, air soft guns, bb guns and real gun. We started teaching them gun safety from the start…

3 Likes

Always bought my son nerf guns he was always told not to put at anyone’s face…If he did no more nerf guns

Yes. Our 9 year old has nerf guns and safety glasses to wear while playing. Either way, kids need to be taught gun safety, and to understand what real guns do. Any gun that appears to be a real gun should be treated as such. This needs to be taught even if you don’t have guns in your home.

I have 3 daughters! The 2 eldest play with them! As long as you teach them to not shoot people or in the house it’s fine and safe

Yes my kids loved them.

1 Like

I’ll let my son play with nerf guns. But, he will also know the importance of real firearm safety. He will know that guns (toy or real) are not to be pointed at people or anything that is not meant to be shot at. Just like I learned growing up as well as my husband.

We have a total of 14 nerf guns in our house… my 7yr old collects them lol only God knows how many bullets we’ve bought and lost… number 1 rule is gun safety… real or fake guns CAN hurt so we put both kids through gun safety instructions…

1 Like

Yes. Because as a parent you teach right and wrong.
Jesus Lord help this woman.

3 Likes

My 11 year old has like a million of them! It’s really the only kind of “toy” he still plays with

No I wouldn’t let my son or even grandson play with them even though it’s just a toy gun I don’t like guns all together they can still hurt someone

4 Likes

I’m sure I will but not until he knows the difference between play and real life

4 Likes

Yes. Its not a real gun and my son knows its not. He knows he can’t touch real guns because they’re dangerous.

My boys have a million. I REGRET THEM. Darts flying across rooms daily, being blasted in the forehead, picking darts up 24 mf 7! And when you think you got em all, some show up randomly. It’s never ending. Lmao purchase at your own risk

3 Likes