Does your child call you by your first name?

My son used to call me Jessica :joy: all my step kids call me Jessica so :woman_shrugging:t3: not much I could do, I just laughed it off
My youngest step kid was 5 at the time and I remember I was talking to my son like “mommas coming.” Or something and the 5 year old literally went “your not mom your Kika.” (What she called me at the time.) i honestly never cared that he called me Jessica so idk if I’m much help
I will say he grew out of it
Now that he watched all his cartoons and they are like “baby dances with his mom.” “Can you spot the mom.” “Ask your mom to help.” He’s really picked up on the word mom. I use the word mom more since it’s me and him all day everyday since the pandemic so it’s a lot of “mom is going to get you a juice.” “Are you hungry should mom make lunch?” And not he calls me mom, mommy, momma”

My son used to call me Bob. I’m assuming he put mom and babe together. He eventually grew out of it. We still laugh about it.

Well I think it’s a good thing she knows your name …if she ever gets separated from you (don’t take this the wrong way)but she can at least say what her mama’s name is… she is still young ,hears other people saying it… she loves you learned your name and putting it to use…if it really bothers you don’t respond to her when she calls you by your name…only act when she calls you mom

4 Likes

Yes it sucks to have you daughter call you by your first name but at the same time it can be beneficial. MOST kids dont know their parents first names because Mommy/Daddy is used for a handful of their life while they’re young so if god forbid she gets lost in a store or anywhere she’ll be able to give your first and hopefully last name to someone who is helping her find you.

1 Like

My husband adopted my oldest daughter when she was 8 so she remembers her first legal father before he gave up parental rights. It was a difficult and traumatizing experience for her. She lost the entire side of his family and the only person she called dad. He is the scum of the earth and thankfully lives across country because every time she talks about what happened I want to urrrghhh… words do not even begin to describe. She is 11 and still calls my husband by his first name even though she refers to him to everyone as her dad. She says she’s not comfortable calling him dad yet even though she loves him. I get it. So our toddler will call him by his first name sometimes because sister does. It kind of hurts his feelings. However, the toddler also takes turns calling us babe because that’s what we call each other. I just say I’m not your babe. Lol

I think it’s good that your child knows your name. If they were to get separated from you for any reason, the person they turn to for help can look for you easier.

1 Like

When my husband left me for another lady I was so hurt and I used to cry every day. Whenever I could miss him I could just close my bedroom and cry because I never wanted my kids to see me crying. It was tough times to endure the stress and at work, I could not perform well being a nurse I work with on many people but I could be moody and could even lose tempers for small things my colleagues complained and I signed many warnings before the matron.
I tried so much to move on but it was hard I love my husband sometimes I could see him in my dreams wake up thinking he would come but nothing, I used to SMS him but no response calling him he never picked my calls and finally blocked all my numbers not even to support the kids. many times I tried to talk to his family and friends they tried their best but he had completely changed and he regarded everyone as a stranger kept a deaf ear on everyone who tried to talk to him. I resorted to spell casters but not even at one time did I see a change. I started drinking alcohol because I couldn’t handle the stress but as you all know ounce you are drunk you are out of stress it could be worse once the alcohol is out. I can’t forget the day I came back home and our firstborn asked me where is Daddy I miss him a lot why he is no longer coming home I never gave a right answer I went in the bedroom started crying at this time. I thought a lot of bad things but again because I loved my kids I knew I had to be strong because it was my role to play as a mother.
I phoned one family friend she is such a darling to me and she gave me a number of baba khoni +27736826252 she said he had helped her two years ago I had lost all my trust in everyone but she strengthened me and gave me the go-ahead to try baba khoni +27736826252 . I thought about it with all my heart and finally decided to contact baba khoni I made everything known to her and she said that we had a future with my husband and we are compatible but the lady had used something on my man which had diverted his feelings away from not only me but also from the whole family. I was so angry at this point and I asked how it was possible to get him back. baba khoni assured me that I would get my happiness back in three days.
Before I began the prayer with baba khoni and sent him my info with that of my husband I was given the instructions of the prayers we did together over the phone and after the fast day my husband texted me saying ‘‘hi’’ it was not a big message but I was so happy for that small massage I never replied though and after 48 hours of the prayer my husband came home I was not home by that time I was by neighbors I heard the car hooting and rushed to see who was it. He asked me to sit in the car we talked he was so romantic and he asked my forgiveness since then our lives have been progressing both in relationships and finances. I have written my story to tell everyone who may be in tears that I was like that before. CONTACT baba khoni +27736826252

My sons do it some times, they are 5 and 6. But it’s more so when I say something they don’t agree with, I get the “oh really chanelle” lol. I tink it’s funny, but they probably picked it up from my husband, or their step brother. Their the only ones they ever hear say my name.

1 Like

My middle daughter will sometimes call her dad Chulo. Lol he just responds hola chula. Lol he loves it!

My best mate and his brothers grew up calling their parents by their first names. Tbh I probably call his mum mum more than he does :joy:
My step son calls me by my first name but still knows I’m his mum, he also calls his bio mum by her name or mummy then her name but that’s because he doesn’t like to call her mum(she’s never been around by her own choice but he still knows that’s his mum and she gave birth to him)
My son will probably grow up calling me mum and sharney because his older brother calls me by my first name
Not fazed by it as both boys will grow up knowing I’m their mother.
My step son calls me mum to his teachers and other people when telling stories other wise it’s sharney

Mine did it for a while. It’s a phase. It’s good tho now they know my first and last name by heart so if anything every happens they know it. It didn’t bother me. Everyone told me why do you let them do that. But once you quit worrying about it they stop. It was no big deal.

2 Likes

My daughter started calling me sissy as that’s what her cousins call me, and I have them just about every day. So every time I heard sissy out her mouth I’d tell her no, I’m mommy. Didn’t take long to break it, but she still calls me sissy when she’s pissed and isn’t allowed to do whatever I stopped her from doing… I’ll give her that :woman_shrugging::rofl:

This is normal she isn’t even 2 yet and still learning how to communicate. My daughter confusing my dad(her pop pop) and her actual dad. Because of how we communicate. Hell one time she called me babe because my fiance does. You just have to correct and talk to the other people around your child and create nicknames and make sure everyone calls the other person their nickname.

BTW ALL OF THE PEOPLE ON HERE BEING SO NEGATIVE AND SAYING YELL AT THE KID… YALL ARE WEIRD

2 Likes

My husband said his name is Trevor so the kids can call him by his name. I said I didnt go through pregnancy and labor to be called Tatum, they can bloody call me mum😂

Ignore her when she calls you by your name but remind her everytime what you want her to call you. If you keep letting her do it she will keep doing it…

1 Like

Mine tried that because I nanny and the kids I watch call me my first name. I just explained that that’s my name but they can call me “Mom.” Just keep explaining it to her and she’ll learn that you’re Mommy and that you’re also called your name. It’s good for her to know your first name too.

My daughter will be 18 months and refuses to call me mom. She refers to me as “baby”. :roll_eyes::woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

It does suck. But it’s mostly a stage… my daughter used to call my husband by his name. For weeks. We just ignored it except to reinforce “daddy” I know it’s frustrating. But it probably wont last long.

All my kids did this at one time or another. I just always responds with yes that is my name. But what am I to you! The answer is always mommy.
It a good thing they know your name

1 Like

I completely understand what you’re feeling. There’s something so special about Mommy.

One of my kids had that phase but it only lasted a couple of days. As soon as he would say it we’d correct him and if that didn’t work, I simply didn’t respond because “I’m not Jen to you, I’m mom”. It became boring to him once I ignored it so he stopped :woman_shrugging:t3:

Lol. I have 3 boys. Now 18, 17, and 12. They each called me by my first name at some point in their younger years. I just ignored them, gave them the “look”, and said it’s Mommy. When they spoke to me again and corrected themselves…that’s when I answered but not until they said Mommy. Now they are older…they typically call me Mom but if I’m ignoring them or I’m just plain out not paying attention…they yell BRANDY…lol. It wakes me up pretty quick and I realize they are talking to me. :rofl::joy:
It’s a phase your daughter is going thru but my opinion is correct her, don’t get angry, but ignore her until she says Mommy whenever she speaks to you. Let her know she’s only allowed to call you Mommy…not your actual name. She’ll catch on one day.

My son did this. I just kept reminding him that I’m mommy. And eventually he stopped. I think he kept doing it cuz he saw how much it bothered me and thought it was funny but now he doesn’t do it anymore. eventually she will stop❤️

I think it’s just a phase my daughter did the same for a while because she would here my little brother call me by my name and they’re really close but I just kept having to correct her and say “no it’s mommy” and she stopped… eventually lol

My youngest called me honey from about 18months-4 years because her dad called me that. Her older sister always called me mommy. I miss being called honey.

1 Like

Its a good thing that they know their parents full names. She knows your mom. I run a home daycare. My youngest calls me Ms. Samantha m-f from 8-5. She thinks shes funny. Whatever she knows im her mom they hust hear other kids calling you thag so they do.

1 Like

My 2 yr old calls me momma but if I ask him my real name he says his toddler version of my name lol but I have to ask what he calls me for him to say momma

Everytime she says your first name. Correct her with Mommy. And have her repeat it v

It happened to me. I asked my friends to refer to me a “mom” as much as possible. “Go ask your mom” “you and your mom are going to…” “I’m helping your mom”

When ever possible where is makes since. That’s what we did after a few weeks it was more routine and he started calling me mom, but he knows my first name that is VERY important nothing worse then a child getting lat and only knowing “mom and dad”…

So that’s a silver lining to look at it. Good luck.

Just keep letting her know that you are her mommy and not _ _
. You can tell her it makes you sad when she calls you by your first name. Thankfully our daughter only called her dad by his first name once…we stopped calling each other by our first names and referred to each other as
Mom and dad after that to avoid her confusion. Ps. This is normal for her to do at that age.

Thats actually a good thing… If something were to happen and the ask her what’s your mommy’s name atleast you know that she knows it a lot of kids dont.
My kids call all of us by our title to them then our name after because we taught them our names

My kids call me Karen so it could be worse. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

My son will likely call me by my first name and im so happy with that. I always called my mom by her first name but that was because of totally different reasons

It will pass, my oldest son did the same until he was about 7 :flushed: and I had my moments where it bothered me… but now he’s 17 and we joke about how he used to call me by my name. It’s a memory of my son and one of my favorites that I’ll cherish forever. It’s not a big deal, things could be much worse so just love your daughter and know that she knows who her mom is no matter what

It’s just a phase and what she hears I have babysat my niece since she was 2 months old she started calling me moma just because I have kids that scream it all day. She has been calling me moma for about a year now I just keep correcting her and telling her moma is at work I’m auntie and she just got it right about a month ago. She will still occasionally call me moma after hearing my kids but once I look at her and tell no she just screams auntie

Amanda Horton “no manda!” :rofl:

1 Like

Yes they did lol and, and they would change there name ,

My son always called his dad by his 1st name. I think I just didnt refer to him as daddy all the time

Mine called me Angie about that age lol I HATED it. Esp cuz I ended up visiting my parents (staying with them) for weeks…we call my mom Ma or my dad calls her Mama. Soooo my son starting calling HER ma/mama. While I was still Angie.
I was NOT impressed lol.
But we’d just gently correct him…“no…Mommy!” “No…grandma!”
Not much else you can do. They eventually stop and go back to mommy.
I was the only one he did it for to. It was totally not fair lol

My oldest son called me by my first name because my siblings all did so my mom made everyone start calling me Mama Jacque so he would. It worked great but I’d get weird looks when I’d be out with him and my middle school siblings when I was in my early 20s🙂 Joke was on her though because my siblings all started calling her grandma!

agree! Correct her with Mommy and have her repeat it.

Honey, you want her to know your name so well that if someone asks what her mommy’s name is, she can answer. Both of my kids go through that phase off and on but it is not a bad thing at all. Gentle correction is good. We made it a game.

“What’s my real name?” They answer. “What do you call me?” They answer. We did it with grandparents as well.

3 Likes

They’ll do it forever if you let on that it bothers you :rofl:

2 Likes

I will not respond to my older daughter (5) when she does this my younger daughter (2) I just correct her

Ignore her when she calls you by your name, unless it’s an emergency of course, you will quickly break the habit when she doesn’t get the reaction/attention she wants.

2 Likes

My kids do it to annoy me. Just ignore it.

Brooklyn Frost Don’t know if any of these girls have suggestions

1 Like

I call mum by her name mostly coz am used not that I don’t respect her

My girl is 21 months too and started calling me only, by my first name. She calls me brook so it’s easy to say. When she says it I just say “ no! It’s momma” and she corrects herself. Other times if she calls me Brook I just don’t pay attention I her until she says momma then I pay attention so she knows!

1 Like

MINE TOO
my fiance and I were in a store once and someone actually asked if he was ours because of him calling us by our first name
I didn’t really mind it but every person in the family pressured us to correct him until we finally did.
The women serious went so far as to call my fiance “Daddy” one game night to try to reinforce it for our son. Super awkward but I honestly just rolled with it :joy: said he’d never felt more objectified in his life

I have twins too. One calls me grandma and the other calls me mammy, occasionally i get called dad, i just think its something they will grow out of

1 Like

It’s no big deal if your kids call you by your first name because isn’t that who you are, just because they do that, it doesn’t make you any less their mother or father. Our 7 and 4 year old sons call us by our first names but we are still their parents. Our kids starting doing that because my SO and I refer to each other by our given names. How many millions of people are called mummy or daddy?

My son did this, for a good few months I wouldnt answer him if he called me by my first name, I only answered if he called me mummy. Broke the habit within like 2weeks xx

1 Like

My. 2 year. Old called my sister mum (still does at times) because he spends alot of time with her and her kids when I’m. Working he was hearing her be called mum all the time, this has lasted a year and he slowly growing out of it and refers to her as her name. It was annoying at first but we just kept calling her by her name like we are going to xx house etc… When doing things maybe say to the little one oh can u get that for mummy or can you help mummy, call. Yourself mummy/mum/etc… When ever your doing something and she’s with you

I think it’s a good thing, actually. If she gets lost, she knows your name. Every time she calls you by your name, say, “Yes, my name is___, but I am also your mommy.” My nephew did this with my sister. He did it for a while but then stopped. It’s just something new to call you.

My son does, unless he wants something :joy:

1 Like

My 2 year old does this as well, but she knows McKayla is my real name and Mama/Mommy is what she is allowed to call me. We sorta make a game out of it and she knows the differences! She mainly does it to try to get a reaction from me & when she realizes I’m not falling for it she corrects herself.

Be glad she knows your 1st name!! I got separated from my parents when I was little and all I knew was mommy… Yeah that was helpful… I taught both my kids my ENTIRE name… And it was a phase that they’d only call me by my 1st name… But eventually they went back to calling me mommy…

1 Like

Have every one refere to you as Mumma, Mummy she will soon do the same,

No! My children are not allowed to call me by my first name. They do know what it is just in case of emergencies but never are they to call me by my first name. I am their Mother and not their friend. It is s sign of respect. You allow this behavior. You should correct this and also correct your niece. Your niece should call you Aunt or give her a nickname to call you.

4 Likes

My daughter did this when she was younger, probably from hearing everybody call me by my first name. It was totally weird haha. Everyone laughed and tried to correct her. It’s one of those good memories I’ll always have.

2 Likes

But you are “insert your name here”. It’s a good thing she knows your name. If she ever gets separated from you, when asked what is her mom or dad’s name she can identify you. I made sure my son knew my whole name, phone number and our address as soon as he could memorize it. My name was easy but the address took a while.

4 Likes

You are over reacting. Your babies not even 2 yet. Shes learning so much likely still uses diapers. Just ignore it. My son has called me Rachel a few times bc of his cousins. But I let it go and he quit. I also refer to myself as “momma” and not “I” when I’m telling him what I want. Maybe that influenced him some, who knows??? But 21 months is so little, I wouldn’t get mad at them at that age.

7 Likes

I’m 34 years old and still call my dad by his first name, because my brother’s did it (he’s their stepdad) and no one corrected me when we were little. It’s not just a phase. It’s great that she has learned your name, but she also needs to learn to call you mommy. And yes, at almost 2 years old she is capable of learning that now. Stop answering to anything but mommy.

Every time you are doing little things like reading a book, changing her diaper/bathing her/ dressing her/ feeding her and so on YOU SAY MAMA or MOMMY bath you, mama dress you…she will eventually catch on. I never had that problem. Good luck!!!

7 Likes

My granddaughter used to call her parents by their names when she was younger because she heard everyone else call them that.

Ur definitely not wrong for feeling that way. Just keep telling her. Same thing happened with my cousins he called his mom aunty because me and my siblings called her aunty and she just corrected him and he stopped

My son is 4 and now and again he will call me by my first name but only in pure jest. He is doing it to be funny. He does it with his dad as well sometimes. I wouldn’t read too much into it. Just reinforce when you’re interacting and talking that you are mommy. I told my son to go to his dad the other day and he told me “it’s not dad, it’s daddy”, made me laugh.
It’s just a phase and will pass but I wouldn’t get frustrated over it

Every once in a while my daughter calls me by my name…when I said “no” am mommy…she replys but that your name…I cant argue…she right…lol…(btw she is autistic and definitely sees things in black/white…no in between)

1 Like

I never cared when my kids did it…maybe cause my mom got so uptight about it. If this is all you have to worry about you are pretty lucky.

3 Likes

Because you let her. And let it slide the first couple of times. From now on when she calls you by your name don’t answer and tell her I’m mama and until you call me mama I will answer you. She will stop quick. It will make you feel bad but she will finally call you mom or Mami and you won’t feel bad anymore

7 Likes

My stepdaughter calls me my nickname “Shelly” and my son had to learn to call me mommy. We also taught my stepdaughter to say phrases like “go to your mommy” instead of “go to Shelly”. Also don’t respond to your name. If they want something from you they have to say they want it from mommy.

3 Likes

My son used to do this when he was around that age. I just kept reminding him to call me mom and eventually he stopped calling me by my first name.

It’s just a phase. Just keep telling her you’re her mommy and giving her love and everything will work out. I have 3 children and they have all called me by my real name when they first learned it.

1 Like

Yes I was called by my first name for a year by my oldest and I did the same with my mom cause I was the only child. It not bad they just don’t identify you as mom until the second child comes or when they realize they will say mom knowing your their mom. If anything was to happen she knows your name and get help. Kids are always into something. Be patient Mom :green_heart::100:

My daughter used to call her dad by his first name for awhile, I’m assuming because she heard me saying it. She eventually stopped :slight_smile: just keep reminding her

My niece calls her mom sometimes by her name and accidentally calls me “mommy” sometimes. It’s just because I’m her babysitter so I’m with her most of the time. Ask all your family members to refer to you as “mommy” too. For example I’ll say “look, mommy’s home from work” to reenforce her to call her mom “mommy”

1 Like

My 15 year old has called me by my first name so long if she calls me mom I tell her “whatever you want you’re not getting it”. No point in getting angry about it.

2 Likes

I remember when I was a young child, my mother took me to the grocery store. Some how I got distracted and could not find my Momma, when I went to an employee because I could not find my mom. They asked me what her name was and I did not know her name, only Momma. Please, do not be offended that she knows you by your given name. It may come handy one day when she gets lost and cannot find you. :heart:

Its just a phase mine went thru it to just keep reminding her you’re mommy and honestly it doesn’t hurt for her to know your actual names…my daughter knows the extend family’s first and last names shes 3 …

2 Likes

My daughter did that for a short while … heard my bonus children call me by first name. Then everyone in family would call me mom,mommy. She caught on … and when changing diaper or say mommy change you or mommy help you. Mommy loves you . It will change .

Think of the positive, if she gets lost or something she’ll at least be able to give your name.

1 Like

I have a grandson who is only 4 months younger than my daughter and they’re right around that age. So things get a little confusing. Whenever my daughter uses the wrong name I just laugh and explain it as simply as possible.

In your situation I would simply say I’m your mommy. I only answer to mommy (mom, momma… whatever you are comfortable with). And then ignore when she uses your name. If she knows it upsets you, it can feel more like a game. The less emotion, interaction with it the better.

3 Likes

My daughter would call me momma til she was about a year ago then she would call me NANA . Lol idk why that stuck til she went to kindergarten and eventually she called me mom again

Both of my kids did this at different ages for a short time. I thought of it as a phase ignored it and they just stopped doing it after while.

My kids have called me by my first name. It really doesn’t bother me. Being called MA bothers me.

1 Like

It’s called correcting so they understand why they call you by your 1st and not them… When my kids call me Amanda I say that is mommy or mom to you. And if someone else calls me it i explain to them why.

1 Like

We always called our mom mama because my dad called her mama. until she passed away. They had 16 and no twins

Just ignore her when she calls you your first name then say oh are you talking to me? I’m mommy not whatever your name is.

Everytime you do something with her say stuff like " do u want to do some baking with mummy ? "… " Give mummy a hug " etc she will soon click on

3 Likes

Because everyone else calls you that. Get over it quit being so nit picky.

All my kids went through this stage. It’ll pass

1 Like

Don’t answer unless she calls u mama.

1 Like

It’s a phase. She’ll understand when she’s older. My brother and I live together with our SOs and children. My son calls me Cece all the time because that’s what my nephews call me. And he does call his dad “dad” or “daddy”, never Andrew. It’s a phase for sure. Give her time to be able to comprehend the meaning of certain things

1 Like

Yeah. …first it was MOM…NOW ITS NANA. THATS IT END OF.question. I EARNED THOSE NAMES

This is totally normal. She’s figuring out that you have different identities to different people. It’s helping her understand how relations work and as stated somewhere above, it will help keep her safe in situations where you may be separated.
I made sure to teach my children their father’s and my real names, just in case.

My almost 6 year old is doing it. I’m waiting him out lol

1 Like

Owen called me “babe” copying his dad for about 6 months :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ignore it… explain every so often that your name is for others, you are her mama. She’ll catch on

1 Like