How can I get my two year old to stop swearing?

None of u witnessed her do anything. For all we know her fingernail could have cut her babies lip. I honestly don’t think most of u understand the actual definition of child abuse. She didn’t intentionally try to hurt her baby. She tried a few different things to correct the behavior which didn’t work. That’s why she’s on here asking for advice. Obviously she knows not to do that because of what happened. Just wow.

To the original poster:
If I were you I’d let your baby know we don’t say bad words. Then ignore it. It’s a phase they go through. Don’t feel bad about your parenting. We learn just as much as the kids we’re raising :heart:

12 Likes

What I do bc I swear like a sailor and don’t even notice… my daughter has picked some up. So when she cusses I make something up for her to say instead like what the heck instead of what the fuck. Or oh man instead of oh shit. Correct him. Redirect him. He will pick up on it like he did the cussing. But definitely do not think you should be pinching your kid :woman_shrugging:t2: sorry.

I really have to be careful around my little one cause she’s the same way except with the s word. But she says oh ship :joy:. My advice put their toys in time out. I do that with my daughters and she’ll straighten up in 5 minutes. It works. The mouth is just really watch what you say around them. They are literally like sponges and repeat everything!!! I blame myself no one but myself.

Just explain that there are bad words. This word is a bad word. We do not say bad words. Remind him gently, but firmly each time. Give a reward for a day at “school” with no bad words.

Completely IGNORE IT! once you scold and make the said bad behavior apparent they will do it more. Literally treat it like any other word

You can keep telling him that those are grown up words, but honestly…kids will mimic what we do. I cuss. A LOT. So I don’t make a big deal out of my kids cussing when they are little. Definitely don’t pinch his lip again though. :flushed:

Please tell me the admin’s of the page reported OP. Bash if you will but I do spank my kids, not toddlers btw, but to pinch a baby so hard that he bleeds…CPS definitely needs to be notified!!!

7 Likes

Don’t pay it attention… besides in the grand scheme of things it’s just a word a 2 year old isn’t gonna be able to grasp when it’s socially acceptable. You freaking out is giving him a reaction so that’s how he views he can get attention

2 Likes

Ignore it. The fastest way to get a child to stop doing an irritating behavior. Responding to it just reinforces that this actions gains attention negative or positive and it’s going to keep them doing it. Also, please read positive parenting and No Drama Discipline. It will help. 2021 we don’t punish our children anymore we displine them. Let’s all be the parent we needed and not the one we got.

2 Likes

We are currently going through this. We have taken the approach of trying to “reshape” the word. So everytime he says f*ck, we say, “where do you see a truck, I don’t see one?”. Typically he will say I don’t know, or if we are outside we will go look for one.
At this age I don’t want to discipline for using language skills. Unfortunately he learned it, and that’s that. He doesn’t necessarily know it’s a bad word- he hears his dad say it, so he wants to say it. When he gets older if he’s still saying it then we will punish because he will have a better grasp on right and wrong.

Do you react strongly every time? Toddlers are strong willed and stubborn he could be looking for a reaction from you too which he gets every time. Personally I would try not acknowledging the behavior or giving him a response cause he is looking for it.

If adults learn to teach their kids hurtful words, and what the intent is; then kids swearing shouldn’t matter.

Try ignoring it and getting the daycare to do the same. If he is mad at you he says it to make you mad too. A few days and he will be over it if he doesn’t get a reaction.

Fall on the ground crying. Just cry uncontrollably until he comes to you with worry. Tell him it hurts you. Do it every time. He’ll stop.

3 Likes

What exactly made you think pinching him was a good way to punish him for using a word…?

5 Likes

When you hear him say it tell him to use a different word. Make a big deal about the new word…make it fun. He’s 2 so a silly goofy word…pickle, buttercup, spaghetti, you know what tickles him. A word he would have a fun time saying. Kids will do things they know get you mad…good luck.

1 Like

First off y’all can’t be upset with your toddlers for literally mimicking their parents. That’s what kids do. If you don’t want them to say a word then make sure they aren’t exposed to it before they can understand the situation better. Don’t punish your kid for the mistakes of adults.

I curse like a sailor and my 4yo has said pretty much every “bad” word at least once. When she was younger I would sit her down and explain that most people don’t like words like that, especially coming from kids. Yes I said it, because I was frustrated and lost control, but I’ll work on doing better and I need her to also work on not saying it. From then on if I said it in front of her I would “correct” myself and explain that I was working on it. The only time I’ve really ever had any issue was back when she was still learning new curse words and she’d say it here or there bcus it was a new thing to do.

Also though, don’t give a fuuuuuuuuck if she curses in general, I just don’t want her to do it around people who would get offended and I don’t want her cursing “at” people. Like calling someone a B!7CH wouldn’t be ok with me but just saying “damnit” when she spills something wouldnt really bother me at all.

Even if it really upsets you when your kid curses though, think about the permanent damage you’re causing when you react aggressively to something as innocuous as a curse word. Pinching, soap/hot sauce, spanking etc are all inappropriate for this situation. Little kids DO NOT UNDERSTAND like adults do. It’s also just a word. Get on their level, reason with them, and they might just surprise you. There’s always a way to solve a problem like this WITHOUT resorting to literal physical violence.

If you pinched my lip till I bled I’d be yelling fuck as well

Immediately say a similar phrase with a replacement word. Ex: “Oh sh!t” turn it into “Oh poop!”

It’s not that serious he probably miss his dad

Oh god that’s totally not what you should do to a two year old!! Try ignoring him when he says the word, he’s only two and he’s learnt to use that word off his Dad, so to him it’s a normal word. his brain is like a sponge and he’s soaking everything around him in it and then your hurting him and putting him in the corner for saying it? Maybe tell Dad to stop using the inappropriate language in front of his child.
Pinching his lip is terrible.

4 Likes

Terrible twos going on threenager.

Put vinegar in his mouth. It won’t hurt him but will be unpleasant. Then quit swearing yourselves.

6 Likes

Pinching his lip? Poor baby…

5 Likes

You pinched your kids lip so hard it bled???

Why is hurting him the first thing you of?

5 Likes

Children learn by example… try changing your frustration words to something pg

Who tf pinches a 2 year old?

8 Likes

Ur two year old will stop on their own… all my kids did it and they stopped on their own… beat for swearing. Really… I never did to my 4 kids and they stopped on their own…

1 Like

What. The fuck did I just read? You pinched him hard enough that he bled? Wow. Stop making a big deal out of the word and he will stop. He’s 2…jesus

How about u get hit in the mouth? He obviously got it from somewhere and if u can hurt a child I believe you should get treated the same way.

4 Likes

Pinching his lower lip? I’m confused.

You haven’t failed as a mother because he cusses… The fact that you so boldly, yet anonymously admitted you pinched your TWO YEAR OLD so hard on the lip that he bled is a more important issue that needs to be addressed… Get therapy if a word a TWO YEAR OLD is REPEATING (because of what DAD/you are saying around him) makes you that mad, jfc.

& honestly If you tried to force food that I didn’t like on me, i’d probably say the f word too… You’re not helping the situation, more than likely you’re igniting it. Ignore when he says “bad words” & dont say them around him.

Or just let him cuss…. Teach him to cuss only at home :woman_shrugging:t2: Tell/show him not to use the word against anybody/thing but only when he is feeling angry/frustrated just like we do as adults… Let him ride out the phase.

15 Likes

My daughter would repeat my mom whenever she heard the word shit. Then she started randomly saying it. I started tapping her mouth every time she did it. After about the 3rd or 4th time she stopped. I guess she didn’t like it. I always explained why it was a bad word but at 2 they only understand so much. My son tried it too but after the first pop he got the memo lol

I don’t see why it’s a bit deal, it’s just a word and if you use it around him he will obviously pick it up. But yeah the pinching thing is weird and just bad parenting especially because he isn’t at the age where he’s capable of understanding why it’s a bad thing. Stop getting so caught up on it and giving him attention when he’s having ‘bad’ behavior

You pinched him and made him bleed over a swear word he heard from his father!!! Poor kid!!!

7 Likes

I mean I feel like as long as everyone else does not make a deal when a little one uses an inappropriate word then the little typically stops using it, it’s when we create a big deal that they continue and also honey he’s only two you’ve hardly failed as a parent hahahahaha you’ve got plenty of time to potentially royally F the little one up :rofl:

5 Likes

He’s 2 people nobody shouldn’t be putting anything his mouth :roll_eyes: just change the word!

My kid used to say it at 2 yrs old too but i would correct her saying “noooo, truck!!!” Lmfao she thought it was funny and started saying truck and now shes 4 and doesnt say that anymore. Dont be upset if he says that word. Hes young and doesnt know any better at this age. Just substitute the word maybe? When he sees you get frustrated use different words? “Oh shoot!!” When you make it a big deal he’ll see it triggers you and he’ll continue to get your attention saying that word

2 Likes

My nephew used to say the same word and when he said it we would replace it with funny. So he would say fuck and we would say funny. Eventually he stopped saying it.

2 Likes

This has got to be a piss take, right?! If not, silly bitch needs some help!!!

This is the parents fault and you’re abusîve to him. Karma comes to “parents” like this

2 Likes

My granddaughter went thru this phase also. One day she said it over 20 times, then it just stopped.

Maybe you should pinch his dads lip til he bleeds for saying those words around him. You can’t physically discipline your child causing them to bleed and force feed him food he doesn’t like as punishment, that’s abuse. Stop using “bad words” around him and he’ll stop saying them.

4 Likes

This makes me sick… poor baby :sob:

5 Likes

I’ve noticed that ignoring terrible two behavior has actually helped A TON with my newly turned two year old, in addition to helping them work through their tantrums and understanding their feelings and explaining why certain things happen the way they do. Talk to him in simple ways that you would talk to an adult and ignore bad behavior, because 9 times out of ten toddlers are looking for that shock factor in order to test your limits and warrant that extra attention even if it’s negative. I promise I was skeptical at first too about this but this has helped so much.

1 Like

Is this page going to report this lady for abuse or…?

6 Likes

Healthy discipline is too hard for you so you make it physical? Yikes.

3 Likes

My sons is two and he runs a muck hahaha you dnt see me pinching his lip cause he dose or says something bad!! Its called been a lil boy terrible twos … and how about stop swearing around him and mayb he won’t copy you at that kids a parrots of cause he’s going to repeat whatever yous say and tbh swear words are the easiest thing a kid can pick up on!!

1 Like

And you have not failed as a mother gosh he is only two years old

3 Likes

Calm and consistent punishment. And it’s just a word, nobody needs to freak out.

5 Likes

Tell him its an adult words and he can’t use it yet. Did that with my two year old when he said fuck, shit and damn. We sat down and talked about how they are adult words and he shouldn’t say them yet.

I came home from work one day, greeted by my 2 yrs old daughter walking around saying “oh f—” on repeat…looked at my brother who lived with me…he hung his head and said “thats my fault, I dropped my phone and she learned a new word”…I kind of laughed because he looked so guilty…we just ignored it, about a day or two later she stopped saying it. Dont make a huge issue of it…he is two…if you ignore it he will forget it. Punishing him isnt the answer. And definitely watch what you say…these little creatures are sponges with the memory of an elephant as they get older. And please dont abuse him for it…its not his fault.

3 Likes

Hello he probably misses his dad be patient and use a time out

I ain’t never in my life heard of pinching a child’s lip to get them to do what you want them to :roll_eyes::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. HE’S TWO!!! Be mad at the source. You doing too much. He will grow out of it. He is new to the world & is learning.
Ignore it. He probably does it more to get the extra attention. If I ever see someone pinching a child’s lip or anything else abusive…I’m definitely knocking that mf clear to the moon :facepunch:t4::crescent_moon:
You gonna see the stars that day!!

9 Likes

I had this problem! I started yelling broccoli every time she cussed. And used it loundly with anger like it was a cus word if something went wrong. Didn’t take long for her to start yelling broccoli insted of damn it .

Punishing him for something he doesn’t understand bc hes 2 is cruel. Punishing him to the point he bleeds is abuse and he still doesn’t understand. My mama heart just broke so much.

3 Likes

I swear like sailor and none of my kids swear ever they’re 3-18
If they did, I would never do any of these things especially at 2. one time when my middle one would swear, I’d slap my own hand when Id swear and say “bad mommy don’t say that” never ever touch your child again. Id tell you to f*** off if I were your kid to be honest. Sounds terrible.

1 Like

IT IS JUST A WORD…HE WILL STOP SAYING IT IF HE STOP HEARING IT… PLAIN AND SIMPLY. RESAY YOUR WORDS AND HAVE YOUR HUSBAND TO THE SAME. LITTLE ONES WILL REPEAT WHAT THEY HEAR MAM’DO NOT PINCH HIS LIP NO MORE PLEASE IF U R REPORT TO DCS .U CAN LOSE YOUR BABY IN THAT SYSTEM.& IT IS HARD TO GET THEM BACK HOME WITH YOU. jUST TALK A DIFFER WAY TO HIM TO HEAR . IT HAPPENS TO US ALL. HE TO YOUNG TO SWEAR & KNOW THE MEANING OF IT OR ANYTHING ELSE.jUST BE KIND AND DO KIND THINGS FOR AND WITH HIM .MAM’ i HAD 5 KIDS AND RAISE 40 +…NOW I AM A GREAT GRAND MOTHER TO NEARLY 20; NEVER HURT ONE BY CUSSING …I CUSS TOO. NOT GONNA WHIP ONE OR PINCH THEIR LITTLE LIP FOR SURE TO IT BLED… i CHANGE MY WORDS TO DIFFER ONES… HE WILL STOP AS SOON AS HE DO NOT HEAR IT …TRUST THAT PLEASE. TY

1 Like

A consistent punishment is what you need. Since they’re only 2, it’s hard to find something that will really stick and make a difference. I’ve never been a fan of time out. To me, all it does is make the child think that they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and their only punishment is to sit in one spot for a couple minutes. That’s not teaching anything. My oldest was one who no punishment worked on. We resorted to denying snack time for him. (And before you clutch your pearls and choke, he ate PLENTY. He got more than enough food throughout the day. Cutting a banana or an apple out of his daily diet wasn’t doing anything harmful to him. AND it was done at the recommendation of his developmental pediatrician and completely under her supervision). Withholding food seemed to be the only thing to trigger the part of his brain that would make him think twice before doing something.

My husband swears a lot. We have a 3yo & she has repeated him and i explained to her at her level, there are words adults can say that kids can’t say until they are adults.
She’s still popped of some cuss words here and there but I reinforce not to say those words. Kids repeat what they see and hear they are very receptive at that age. You got this momma! Good luck!!

3 Likes

I’d correct them if they say f@!$ I’d say Truck! Or if they say Sh@! I’d say ship! See how that goes…

Ignore the bad behaviour and reward the good distract him to come and help you do something and let him know how good he is at doing the job, ignore the bad no reaction he is doing it to get your attention, give him attention but for the right things.

2 Likes

I put a soap bar in my daughters mouth. Only took a couple of times. Now she asks if she can say a naughty word half way through a sentence :joy: its a no everytime but at least she asked right.

3 Likes

Squirt him in the face with a water bottle.

3 Likes

Ya’ll are so sensitive it’s hilarious. When I was younger I got my mouth smacked or that lava bar soap across my teeth and sometimes both!! I’m still alive and I turned out fine!! So, I’m going to side with this momma. Instead of pinching his lip cause it makes him bleed try popping his butt and sitting him in time out. My 2yr old used to swear like a sailor. I popped his butt and sat him in the corner. Eventually he will learn not to say bad words. He should catch on quick if you don’t swear.

Please leave the kid’s lip alone! Just tell him " We don’t use that word around here." After that just ignore it if he says it. If it doesn’t get a rise out of you…he will soon stop.

5 Likes

Just ignore it. He is basically still a baby and he doesn’t know the difference between positive and negative attention yet. You are giving him attention when he says the word so he keeps doing it. Stop making a big deal out if it and he will stop.

4 Likes

My 3 year old learned the S*** word. My family and I ignored it. We don’t want to bring attention to it because then she’ll use it just to “be funny” or to get our attention. She has stopped using it, whew.
Sometimes kids do/say things intentionally because they KNOW it will get out attention. They are smart

You pinched ur child to make them bleed!!! Wtf come on , we are not perfect parents but that behaviour from you is only going to encourage his bad behaviour
Maybe look at ur local community groups for parenting courses

15 Likes

its a taught behavior from residential school. The COLONIZERS would pinch their lips and other abuse when caught speaking their languages

3 Likes

Oh no don’t pinch him on his lip. Tf is wrong with you? You want your baby bruised? He’s 2. He’s still a baby. I have a 2 year old son and I could never do that. If I knew where you lived I’d be calling CPS on you.

9 Likes

why the fuck did you pinch your TWO YEAR OLD , you dumb fucking bitch

That is so fucked up to do to a child you need to be turned in you dont deserve kids who in there right mind would discipline there child like that here in Washington we do it differently here u dont torcher your babies …your kid is gonna grow up and realize what you do is wrong and uur child WILL hate you

It’s your husband that needs intervention first before the child. You also need to talk to your son in a manner that he would understand that what’s he’s saying isn’t good at all. Reward him if for 1day he doesn’t say any bad words. Might work. Good luck.

Please do not hurt your toddler

Correct the word, my toddler started to say oh fuck when he dropped something we managed to change it to oppsies

Ummmm how havent you been reported…
Thats child abuse? You have physically hurt your child… where has he heard these words from? I think you need to look closer to home before you start hurting your child… fuck me your lucky you have posted this anom… disgusting

Stop swearing around him :woman_shrugging:t4::joy:

4 Likes

My mom used Tabasco sauce on us Everytime we said a bad word. Soon enough we stopped saying them.

1 Like

Pinching your two year olds lip to the point where you MAKE HIM BLEED when he doesn’t even know the concept why your doing it is flat out bad. Like what’s wrong with you?..I don’t care if you stopped…I can only imagine what you do now to try to discipline your toddler😳 your kid needs out of that house if your going to hurt him. Let alone swear all the time at him.

8 Likes

We got our mouth washed out with soap- but our parents didn’t swear around us.

1 Like

You :clap: should :clap: not :clap: be :clap: a :clap: mother!

I hope someone smacks you in the mouth and makes you bleed! Hes a baby you fu*kwitt …ITS LEARNED BEHAVIOUR!!! Check yourself and your husband and be better examples and role models for that baby!! Get parenting lesson ASAP!!

9 Likes

Are you serious, you pinched his lip and once it bled??!
You just don’t use that word around him, ignore when he says it, and keep your hands off his lips lady!
If you’re going to do something tell him know with a stern voice and maybe pop his hand if he continues.
Good lord some of these parents cause more than needed!
And beluga whale meat… like force fed him?
I understand people have different parenting techniques, but you need to either let rhe daycare handle it or just ignore. He’s 2, not 12. Start disciplining for his age group properly!!

4 Likes

All that punishing for a word? That’s worse! :scream: He’s 2 he’s basically like a parrot and will say what he hears. It’s how they learn, I’m impressed he uses it in the correct context :joy: both my daughters went through the “For F*ck sake” when they dropped something :joy: they’re 6 & 3 now and have grown out of it.

Redirect your communication. Instead of saying “shit” say “shoot” instead of saying “god dammit” say “gosh darnit” instead of “fuck” says “duck” :duck:. The more “fun” you make these redirected words the more likely your child will follow suit. Your child looks up to you and the father. Show him the way. It’s hard to redirect your words sometimes but we do what we must for our children. If you can’t do it for your child then you should not expect him to do the same. Good luck.

Wow. Great mother. Using physical abuse to stop your child saying the F Word.
Ignoring it would work.
Vile.

6 Likes

Change the word to fire truck when he says it u might havw say it a few time otherwise ignore it all
Together

Try saying another word as a swear word. Such as : “helicopter” or “rhinoceroses”
and ignore the swear words.
Your 2 yo will run around yelling helicopter trying to get a response. Respond to the new words by saying… “thats a word we dont use, lets use another one” and ignore the words that you dont want to hear.

2 Likes

Try using love and logic. Ask him to please throw the garbage can word in the garbage. And ask him. Would you like me to help you throw the word Away or can you do it yourself. This does the trick at my school. Please don’t use physical discipline… it simply does not work.

My son started swearing so for a little while I carried on explaining that they’re called adult words and he can’t say them so now he says things like oh sugar or oh coconuts

You could also take a you away every time he uses the word and help him to handle his anger in another way. Maybe beat on a drum?

So your trying to stop your child saying bad words but then your abusing him by pinching him and making him eat things, one word ABUSE is what your doing to that poor child my children say words they shouldn’t but ignore it they own realise he’s a very young child also your teaching him to pinch aswell, think your the person who needs the help and maybe have a word with the child’s dad

5 Likes

Try breaking the habit by repetition. When you’re frustrated say something you would be ok with. They’re sponges they soak up everything unfortunately. My oldest used to say. Ahhh cheese and rice when frustrated :joy::joy: because I would say that occasionally frustrated. My youngest picked up on the ahhh :poop: I would occasionally use 5 kids later :joy::joy: it works. They don’t know it is bad. They wanna be like us and they mimic us. So, this is why we remember they’re watching us and this is is why WE need to pay attention and be the best role model we can. Nobody is perfect but just remember who’s watching. Good luck :heart:

1 Like

The more you make a deal out of it the more exciting these words are…

1 Like

Fuck sake people have problems its a damn word

1 Like

Find a funny word you can use that he will find funnier. Like I used to growl" chicken NUGGETS" with the force on the nugget word. My son would get the giggles. He’d then use other words (non swear words) to air his frustration. It will be good bonding for you both as well as its like a secret language only you both know
Everyone knows swearing. But growling “nuggets” will be confusing to others
It worked for us. Made for creative swearing later on lol he’s 17 now, we still get the odd giggle.
Changing how you react and how you air how you feel will help
Just be creative not frustrated. X

1 Like

People need to stop acting like curse words are freakin terrible…. They are words people :roll_eyes: if you want him to stop… you stop cussing too and don’t make a big deal when he says something… ignore it… when he’s upset try to help him cope in a positive way…

3 Likes

What the hell? You pinched his bottom lip and it bled? He’s two!!

8 Likes

children learn for to talk and how to behave by watching adults
If be much more concerned about him thinking it’s okay to pinch someone’s lip because they said something he didn’t like

This is absolutely appalling! You pinched your 2 year old little boys lip until it bled…because he’s copying your husband’s swearing?! :anguished: Maybe tell your husband to stop swearing around a toddler?! It’s learned behaviour because you have allowed it! :angry: This breaks my heart I feel so sorry for that poor little boy, I have a 2 year old son & 4 year old daughter and I would never hurt them! :cry: Also forcing him to eat frozen whale meat as a punishment is awful! What is wrong with you? He’s 2 years old! You need to step up and be a mother, be patient and kind with him, he doesn’t even understand swear words are bad because it’s been normalised. I would just ignore any swear words he says and not overreact, try and distract him by playing with toys, doing painting/crafts, reading a book together or watching cartoons with him :open_book::art::teddy_bear::tv: If you don’t make a big deal out of it hopefully he’ll forget and the swear words will be phased out. Also both you and your husband need to completely stop swearing around your son if you want him to stop! Good luck :four_leaf_clover::crossed_fingers:

9 Likes

You people are going off at this woman like she killed somebody i bet half of you have smacked your child or yelled or had a bad day where you did something you regret.
Shes obviously got differences in her culture than in ours and that doesnt make it right to harm a toddler, but maybe try to put yourself in their shoes before trying to slander the poor woman. She seen the error in what she did and stopped, shes actively looking for non toxic solutions to help her achieve her goal with her child.
No she shouldnt have harmed the child to try to achieve them, yes there are better ways, but instead of going after this womans throat, how about trying to kindly explain where she went wrong and the lasting damage it could have on the child mentally, and point out better ways to start correcting the behaviour. Do you learn by being shouted and and insulted? Does that make you want to do better? No it just makes you feel anxious and like shit.