How do I explain to my child I do not want her having Tiktok?

I am needing recommendations on explaining to my 9 almost 10 year old why I don’t want her to have a tik tok. I feel guilty sometimes. But my gut says no. How do I explain it to her in a way that doesn’t come off mean or angry or just because “I said so type of way.” Her older step siblings have it. Her friends have it.

98 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How do I explain to my child I do not want her having Tiktok? - Mamas Uncut

Just say no? We did for a while there.

Both of mine want one and I tell them no they are 9 and 7 and I just tell them their are things on there that young girls don’t need to see

3 Likes

I told mine no, that it’s not intended for children her age and that it actually states in the sign up process that it’s for 13 years or older and we don’t break rules like those that are in place for our safety. She wasn’t happy at first but she wasn’t willing to lose her screen privileges over it.

6 Likes

Yea no Bec they don’t have settings to enough to block inappropriate stuff from her innocent eyes

Because you say so. You’re the parent? 🫠

2 Likes

No she’s 10 lol
Download some learning games :joy:

1 Like

“Be a leader not a follower. “

Just cause everyone else is doing it does not mean you need to.

You don’t need to explain yourself

Zigazoo is a app for kids that’s like tiktok.

Because you’re the boss and the answer is no. You don’t owe an explanation.

1 Like

You dont need to explain… “you arent having bc its inappropriate” is enough

3 Likes

Tell she can’t have it…why explain ur the adult

You tell her… you aren’t having tic tok. If she doesn’t like it take her phone away. Done

2 Likes

My 3rd grader wants tiktok and complains to me all his friends have it. It’s a hard no at his age in this house and he knows it.
I just tell him maybe it’s okay at his friends house and rules but in our home, our rules and social media at his age is a hard no.
I checked out tiktok and within less than 5 minutes I had already seen inappropriate videos.
Kids have no business on social media.
Be their parent, they will thank you for being ‘strict’ one day because they will know you looked out for them.

3 Likes

Here’s what I told mine “tiktok is not appropriate for kids and even though your friends have it, doesn’t mean it’s ok. Your phone is already a privilege because I trust you but part of that means there are some apps you won’t be allowed to have.”

7 Likes

Social media is not for children.

2 Likes

Just say no bcz there is a lot of stuff that isn’t real on there and mentally can effevt how she feels. Not just that it can be dangerous. I always said no and my kids dad would let them behind my back. Until 1 day I noticed a man commenting and asking stuff he shouldn’t. I brought it to dads attention and said see and this is why they shouldn’t be on here. Same thing with live stream games like robolox. I told them countless times not to give out personal info and het they did. Its not safe.

2 Likes

You’re the boss!

Be a parent and put your foot down. And besides TikTok has a rule you need to be 13 to have an account.

You need to be 13 to have one anyway.

Tell her no period you’re the parent

1 Like

Why does she have a phone. No one under 18 should be having a phone

9 Likes

“Because I’m the mom and I said so”…

1 Like

I just told my 11 year old its not for kids and she said okay

1 Like

My son is 11 and he is not allowed to be on it. I ha e caught him.in it and it has been deleted and phone or tablet taken and he did t get them back for over a week. They are not old enough. You need to just tell her you are not allowed to be on it and that is it. They don’t need to know why. You are the parent

Tell her Google says she’s not old enough yet.

3 Likes

Following. I share custody of my 9 almost 10 year old and im so frustrated of deleting that app ever single week just to be back the next week. Obviously explaining my concerns to the other parent didnt work so im following on good advice to talk to a child so the understand the dangers since i cant keep them safe off of it when not home…

This is when you say because I’m the parent. Take that smart phone away and get them a flip phone!

2 Likes

No to young. Some videos are not kid appropriate at all

She 9 the answer is clear. NO

4 Likes

There are a LOT of sexual predators on there

And why in the world do you feel guilty for protecting your child? Its our job to do so :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Y’all are some toxic ass parents. Wow :joy::joy::joy:
“You’re the boss they don’t need an explanation” are y’all kidding me?!

Block it from their devices!

1 Like

“It’s to protect you. You don’t have to understand or even like it, it’s just the way it is”

3 Likes

Allow her to watch the videos with set preferences but not create an account. You are the parent first, not the friend. You raise your child as the parent with guilt of saying no to them, you’re raising a narcissist.

If you still want to “explain” to her, then be blunt. Kids aren’t stupid these days – search up a few videos of other parents and cause accounts calling out pedophiles and say THIS IS WHY! Period.

1 Like

You’re the mother, you said so. You don’t owe a 10 year old an explanation on why she can or can’t do/have something. You’re her parent, not her friend.

2 Likes

I tell her cause they have adult stuff too but I let her google the tik tok compilations for certain subjects like dogs encanto etc

Real easy I’m the mom and I said no. When you become a mommy you can be mean to. I tell that to my child and she’s 13.

3 Likes

I made my 13 year old delete her account because if the content and thats all she was concerned was watching videos all the time

Isn’t there a kids tik tok now maybe try to get her over to that one. Some of the stuff on tik tok adults shouldn’t even see

1 Like

You really came to Facebook to get advice? You don’t need a reason, you’re the parent…period.

4 Likes

You’re the parent if you said no that’s means no she Doesn’t need it explained to her :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Be honest with her, explain your concerns, tell her in an age appropriate way the dangers you are thinking of. It’s much better to explain than to say “because I said so”

1 Like

No is a complete sentence

2 Likes

By tiktok rules she cant have one anyway. 13 and older. Decent people. Like myself. Would just report her account if she’s posting videos

1 Like

No is a complete sentence

1 Like

Because the internet is full of bad people who are able to use the electronics you use to track where you are. And that adults understand this and take steps so it it’s less likely to happen, but kids cannot understand that. Sorry kid, no means no.

Be clear. Hiding things from them and sheltering them from the truth is what harms them. Tell her there are perverts out there. There is content that she shouldn’t see at her age.

It’s good to tell her why instead of just saying ‘no’ or ‘I said so’. She’ll be angry or defiant if so. At her age she won’t fully understand, but she’ll get over it.

5 Likes

My 14 year old niece is on it constantly… but I’m wondering, does your daughter use a cell phone to watch it? Simple solution would be to take the phone away if she can’t follow your rules.

You just say no? She’s 9…

1 Like

Dont explain. Your the mom! Why does parenting your child make you feel guilty! Good grief

1 Like

Just say no. Your the parent.

1 Like

Its for her safety. Explain the rain why social media in general is a danger to young children and that you are her mom choose to say NO for her protection. It doesn’t matter if other kids have tik tok, you are her mom and you said NO.
It’s dangerous, it subjects her to inappropriate content, sexual predators, bullying, and so much more.
So worrying about sounding mean…it’s your job as a parent to protect them, not be their friend and worry about them being upset at you for having rules.

If no isn’t enough and you feel as though you owe your child an explanation, then whatever the reason is that you won’t allow her to have it…tell her that!

I think it’s great you want to give her a reason! I’d explain there is R rated stuff on TikTok and just like you won’t let her see R rated movies you don’t want her to have TikTok.

1 Like

There are predators on that app. Plan and simple.

1 Like

Be honest with her about the safety issues and that she is not old enough to have one yet. I try to be as honest as possible with my daughter, even though shes only four and I will continue to have age appropriate conversations as she gets older. It’s hard for a kid to understand if you don’t explain it to them and more than likely will have her doing it without your knowledge.

3 Likes

You’re the parent. At nine I’d be a oh hell no.

3 Likes

Why are you concerned with coming off mean? And when did the kids rule the roost. Your job is to protect her and she has a nine-year-old brain. She doesn’t have the benefit of experience or even a mature brain. You do what’s best for your family and stop feeling guilty about it

3 Likes

Ummm? “No” works wonders.

2 Likes

Who is the parent here???

2 Likes

If you’re saying don’t explain because you’re the parent just know you’re toxic :joy:

7 Likes

You can make a kids profile!

I just told my son no because it’s not age appropriate. End of story. Better not find out you were on it.

1 Like

Why don’t you worry about parenting and less about her feelings ? She’s ten. Show her strange land. Show her the numerous movies and shows about kids getting kidnapped because they were unattended on social media. Ten is too young. Period.

My son will be 9 in a few months he understood when I told him it’s not for his age

1 Like

You say your not having tic-tok!!!

2 Likes

It’s your choice but I think an explanation of your safety concerns is reasonable. I think it’s important to give kids reason behind decisions rather than just because I said so… It doesn’t mean I will argue or change my mind but I think it teaches them to communicate well as adults… That said, there is a kids TikTok now if you have any interest in reconsidering based on the new parameters. The short-form video app has a curated version for users under the age of 13 (new users must pass through an age gate to use the app). For those aged 13-15, TikTok defaults accounts to private and users must approve followers and allow comments.

1 Like

Just tell her the reason. A “no” or “because I said so” gives no understanding for the actual reason.

3 Likes

My daughter is 9. I just told her no :woman_shrugging:t4:. There are some things I allow them to ask for an explanation on. And some things I know it will turn into an endless back-and-forth and I shut it down immediately. My answer to the question about TickTock was just… No. 

2 Likes

Bc there’s creeps out there she’s too young and too impressionable to have something like that. That’s it.

I told my 9 year old the truth about how when tik tok was created that kids were getting abducted from their homes because bad people were tracking them. We also had the internet conversation and how not everyone is a good person. And there are people who pray on the internet looking for little kids to hurt. She didn’t ask me anymore after that lol

1 Like

I believe tiktok wants their users to be 13 or older in their terms of service so you could tell your child that

1 Like

“I said no because I am the parent and you are the child. I was put on this earth to protect you and raise you, not to be your friend. I do not have to explain every answer to you.”

4 Likes

There are inappropriate videos and predators. Sorry but no. Sometimes you have to be mean in order to protect your child.

Dont do it i get mad at myself for letting my kids have phones and social media in there young teens

I told my girls they cannot make videos but they can watch some of the videos. I made one just to track their usage. When they were younger I just said no. They ask why and I say because that is the rule to have a cell phone. They haven’t questioned it yet.

There are things on TikTok that she doesn’t need to see yet at her age. R rated things and there are nasty people on TikTok. The time will come when she is ready for TikTok. You will let her know.

My 12 yr.old great grand still hasn’t got her own phone because her dad is protecting her. She feels like a outcast because her friends all have them . Of course the world of the internet has lots of good but much more bad !!!

1 Like

Just tell her no. Youre the adult. Dont try to be her friend…be her parent

1 Like

I’m having this gulit trip/argument with my 14-year-old, and she’s still not winning. I can’t imagine 10 :frowning:
Hang tough with your NO and swallow down that mom guilt, they give you with some good wine!

U r the parent right at 10 yrs old she shouldn’t have access to no phone etc. Except for school when they use a computer js my opinion

Are you serious you need to explain it to your child. You say no I don’t want you to have a tictok because I’m your mom and your a child and I said No and no means no and if you bring it up again I’ll be taking away something else .

3 Likes

It’s inappropriate and dangerous, that’s the end of it.

1 Like

I don’t like all these “I’m the parent, I said so” comments. If I was explained why I couldn’t do so many things when I was younger, I wouldn’t have been shell-shocked when I turned 18 and was allowed to see the things I wasn’t before. Please explain the dangers and why she shouldn’t be on there. For the love of God people, communicate with your children.

5 Likes

Tell them no!!! They aren’t legally allowed to have it!! Then once they do, I’m logged in to their accounts. I see everything they like, post, comment, or message!!! Trust needs to be earned, but you have to give them a chance to earn it too

3 Likes

You are the parent. Say no. You don’t owe her an explanation

1 Like

Because it’s not appropriate for her age you can/will re-evaluate at __ whatever age you deem appropriate. Explain that the internet has a lot of stuff young kids should not see because it is inappropriate for kids. Talk to her about internet safety. (Do a little bit of research on that) You got this and if it’s still too much of an issue I would take her phone. Which honestly she’s a good bit young to have one.

1 Like

Just flat out tell her that she isn’t old enough.

I have a few real neat stories I could tell her…ends up with me being a victim of much older men and guess what I didn’t even realize it. I literally thought they loved me bc my 13 year old brain wasn’t mature.

1 Like

I told my daughter to my creeps like to watch little kids

They offer child accounts. They can’t post videos or message other people.

1 Like

This is why my 9 and 11 year olds don’t have phones or computers they need to be kids

3 Likes

Very simple…… be the parent and say that’s the rule. Your kids will say they hate you for many other things to come but will thank you later for having rules and boundaries

4 Likes

I would use tiktok agreement and say the people that made tiktok does not allow anyone under 13 to use it. And as a parent you want what is best for them and since professionals rated the app 13+ you believe it isn’t an app a 9 year old should be able to use

2 Likes

You can block things like this…I believe how you say it is if I catch it on your phone after I said no I will bust your butt and take it all plain and simple

Tell her it is not age appropriate. Thats what I told my kiddo.

“No” is a full sentence in my house.

5 Likes