How do I make this right?

Seems like part of the story is missing.

2 Likes

As a woman who had trouble with boundaries and toxic family- the best thing i did was cut them off- they also don’t have a relationship with my children because they haven’t changed and If your husband hasn’t he needs to speak up to his mother and say disrespecting my wife and mother or my children is not ok. If she’s not willing to treat them the same then they will see that/ hear that from other family. It’d stop inviting her to things. Why would you want someone who thinks its ok to treat your children different then the other kids but then snub them and stop attending important events.

2 Likes

Sounds like she is the one who needs to make it right.

5 Likes

There are MIL groups. One I found a lot of peace in is. That’s it I’m MIL shaming. She’s got an issue not you. Seriously check out the MIL groups, this happens to a lot of women and they’ll have excellent advice.

There’s 2 sides to every story.

I get where coming from but how often was she seeing ur kids maybe she the other grandkids more but that doesn’t mean she shouldn’t try with ur kids

I’m in same boat. My in laws have disowned me. Putting my husband in rough spot. He’s struggling worse then me trying to be a peace keeper

Meet up with her and try to make it right. Accept how she is and be civil at least. In the end, you are the bigger person for making amends to a bad situation.

While I agree, she doesn’t “need” to treat all the kids the same. If she buys one a gift she doesn’t have to get all the others one too. If she gets cookies and one asks for a cookie she doesn’t now have to hand them out to each kid. If she goes with someone to a store or the zoo and buys something cute for the kid with them they shouldn’t be expected to them take the others to said place and get them something also.
The only reason I would meantion treating the kids differently is if A, the kids are being ignored or talked about. ~Or B. They are taking things from them and hovering them to the other children. What was she doing differently with yours then the others and not yours that you didn’t agree with?

1 Like

You have your own immediate family. Hsve the holidays at home with your husband and kids and ignore the behaviour

Why should your family go without you for the holidays, when you could easily be together

Or better still … be the bigger person, apologise, even if it should be her apologising and get over it and move on

Lifes too short, people won’t be here for ever

3 Likes

how did you approach her in the first place?

Devils advocate here.
Here’s the thing, she doesn’t have to treat her grandkids the same. You bringing it up caused an issue. But being the end result I think there are prior issues between the two of you you didn’t mention. Nobody has to treat everyone equally. Should you? In most cases, yes. But realistically it doesn’t happen so it’s our job as parents to prepare our children for that. It sucks & seeing our kids hurt sucks even worse. But it’s life. You attempted to make your peace & it didn’t work out. At this point, move on. Because if your husband hasn’t attempted to remedy the situation & is still communicating with his mother then that’s a whole other problem. Because if the MIL is still disrespecting you then he needs to cut off communication as well.

2 Likes

Why isn’t your husband able to speak up and say something? I can’t stand a meddling, jealous, childish mother in law (death with it all) and even one who treats and favors certain grandchildren. Only way… is to discuss things like an adult and talk with her and your husband and make things right with her. Let it all out then.

Start your own family traditions and include her if she comes or not will be her choice but you can have events with the rest if the family

4 Likes

I feel she has every right to be angry with you. You can love your family and treat each person differently. Unless maybe you give us the whole story of what made you feel she was treating them differently.:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

She isn’t as important as your children. That isn’t a disagreement, that is hate.

4 Likes

Well you told her how you felt and she responded but not how you wanted her to so except the consequences and move on.

Am i the only one who thinks your kids will do better NOT being around toxic people like your MIL…

13 Likes

no you are not , I agree, she called her out and she did not like that, her husband should stand behind her. he needs to set his mother straight

7 Likes

honey, live your BEST life

Sounds like she’s immature & doesn’t care a bit how her actions have hurt you and your husband or her grandkids. This is very upsetting. You could try being the bigger person in this scenario and apologizing but meme it. But just know that it is for your kids ultimately. And never bring up something like that again to her because you obviously know she can’t handle it. Just my two sons. Good luck :slightly_smiling_face: You could try being the bigger person in this scenario and apologizing but meme it. But just know that it is for your kids ultimately. And never bring up something like that again to her because you obviously know she can’t handle it. Just my two sons. Good luck :slightly_smiling_face: these things are never easy. But sometimes we have to suck it up for our kids sake. With that being said I would not allow anyone to be directly rude or Her fault to my children so you will need to be the person to make that call.

Your husband needs to speak up

3 Likes

You tried to reach out, she wasn’t receptive. That’s on her. Move forward and live your life.

4 Likes

Stop allowing her to pick and choose what holiday and what children to be around and treat equally. If she can be there for them all, she doesn’t need to be at specific ones. Quit allowing her to treat you and your children as an option. The longer you allow it, the longer it will continue. If she misses one of their birthdays and it’s not in good reason, then don’t invite to the others birthdays etc.

Then go see other family… together. If she wants to play childish games… she will be the loser. Make a new "tradition ". Do something else. Go someplace else… together, without her.

4 Likes

Don’t force anyone in your kids lives if they can’t respect you! You are the mother and simply expressed your feelings/concerns. If she can’t respect that than she doesn’t deserve to be apart of yours or the kids lives regardless of the relationship.

Start new traditions with your children, spend with other family and friends. People who want to celebrate you all as a whole family.

People really have to stop forcing relationships with people just because they’re “family” or blood related. It’s not healthy mentally or emotionally.

4 Likes

If You can’t have a relationship or some form of civil conversation with me, then you sure as heck can’t with my children! If im not welcome then neither are they.

5 Likes

YOU don’t make it right. SHE does. If she wants a disagreement to come between her relationships with her grandchildren then let that rest on her.

4 Likes

Tell your mother-in-law to put her big girl panties on and grow up. My mother-in-law does the same thing and I came to head with her and I did not care. She treats my two girls differently than she does my stepson and her other granddaughter. She can’t even spell my one daughters name correctly. Not to mention the fact that while I was pregnant with her she cleaned house she wanted to be there for her birthday but she wouldn’t be in the state. Turns out she was in the state but with our daughter enjoying vacation with them. So yeah I stop by in the BS that my mother-in-law was spewing and told her what I thought. She didn’t like it and I didn’t care.

Seriously why are you the one trying when she’s the one in the wrong? What grandmother goes that long without seeing their grandchildren. She sounds like a cranky immature petty women and if that was me I would gladly turn my back to this woman and not speak to her again. As for your children if she’s now willing to to see them I would let them but I would not lie and try make things up for her. Hope your ok. What has your husband got to say about this?

2 Likes

Your husband should be the one that backs you. Your his wife those are his children and it’s his mother with the problem!!! You and your husband need to stand together make a family tradition of your own invite family and friends to your house those that come enjoy those that don’t it’s ok enjoy make new memories and starting new traditions but don’t let the mother in law decide your happiness. The longer you stay disappointed in her the more she wins. Be happy enjoy your holidays

2 Likes

So all I can tell you is that regarding the kids I am in the same boat as you. My mother-in-law has a lot of grandkids. My oldest who is 19 is the first grandchild in the family. We have four kids and my husband’s family does not treat them the same as the other grandkids nieces nephews. We always tried to go to family events and include his family and everything. We still send them birthday invites graduation invites. We came to our own conclusions that if they don’t have the time or energy to come to these events that we will still invite them but our oldest kids know who is there for them and who is not there for them. Our youngest is six and she barely knows my husband’s family. We decided that even though we will invite them to things or events that we will not force them to be in our kids lives. My husband made the decision that if I am not welcome then he will not attend and my kids will not go. We have recently and I’ll say this is in the past year have cut off the majority of his family. His mom we have not fully cut off even though she is the issue only because that is his mom and I would never tell him that he cannot talk to her or see her. Saying that my oldest three kids refuse to see any of that family. (They’re old enough to make their own decisions). With my 6-year-old we made the decision that she will not go over there she will not be around them. I know that a lot of people will say that you only have one family however toxic is toxic it doesn’t matter who it is. If she does not want you in her house and she is not willing to come to a compromise then don’t let her know it affects you.
I know it’s upsetting and it probably hurts that you aren’t there during the holidays but it gets better. Start your own family traditions and heck even invite her to your house for whatever holiday it is if she decides not to come it is what it is.

Your kids seem better off without her

5 Likes

Stay away from her and keep your kids away. Just let your husband visit alone. She clearly doesn’t care.

4 Likes

Hugs. This is not on you to make right. :purple_heart: I hope she comes to her senses.

3 Likes

Just let your husband and kids go he might be able to sort something if not then at least the kids and her son is seeing them that’s the main thing x

It’s your husband’s battle not yours.

7 Likes

Stop reaching out to her. She won’t change. Go love on your kids and be sure to let them know in everything you do they don’t need grandma’s love. If ts favoritism games that toxic crap doesn’t need to go on at all. Just end that routine of bs and love those kids.

5 Likes

You made it right already. In my personal opinion I think. The thing is is you originally talked to her about an issue you had I’d assume as calmly and as mature as you could, which helps incase there was any misunderstanding on the issue at hand. However, she’s choosing to be extremely childish. She, as a grandmother, should know already in general that there’s going to be talks in the family and clarification is needed, but she refuses to act nature and continue to properly communicate. If she wants no effort in seeing your children then she made her choose by removing herself from your family. It sucks but honestly it’s better in the long run. You won’t want to deal with continuous negative energy at every family event if that’s what’s going to happen. Your children will know you never withheld them from their grandmother, they’ll see it’s her refusing to care about them. If her ego is that bad then she misses out on her sons family and that’s that :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

As a kid who was in this situation although I figured out I wasn’t even in my uncles top 10 (I’m like the 3rd born (2nd niece).) kids figure it out and it hurts for three yrs I tired to be in his life but he didn’t care so I gave up. After that experience I vowed to never let my kids feel that thankfully he’s different now (almost dying from Covid changed his view about me too, I was there more then his favorites .) and has always love my daughter from the moment she was born and now with my son his even more in love. I am glad he changed. My advice your kids will know you can’t shelter them from that. The best thing you can do is move on with them and teach them that those who love them will be there no matter what.

1 Like

There is nothing for YOU to make right. You saw that all the kids weren’t being treated equally, you spoke up. Your MIL decided to be a douche. You reached out, she responded by excluding you but including your husband and children. Put it out of your mind. Focus on your own little family and start your own traditions. If you, nor your husband and children attended her Thanksgiving, it sounds like your husband is siding with you and that’s AMAZING! Personally, I think all kids should be treated equally, regardless of them being step, adopted, biological etc. Honestly, the animosity between the family will do less damage than one child seeing another being treated better. You’re doing right by your kids, so keep doing what you’re doing!

2 Likes

Oh well. One grandma and grandpa gone. Invite the rest of the family to socialize with you when they’re not at toxic grandma’s. Family is a circle of friends who love you. I’m sure there are tons of lonely older people (some who are estranged from toxic kids) who would love to fill in as grandparents.

1 Like

I’m confused. Why are you trying to make something right when she’s in the wrong? Make new traditions. Have fun and enjoy your life with your little family. She can either get it together or she can miss out. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

You keep standing up for your kids! You’re doing right by them. As for her… Hope those other grandkids are around to wipe her ass when she’s got dementia. And it is really just that simple. DO NOT allow someone to treat your kids as “less than” because you have a narcissistic mother in law and your husband isn’t her Golden child.

Google:. Narcissistic mothers. Read up on that toxic shit and all of a sudden… EVERYTHING will make sense.

Sound like you need to start your own Thanksgiving traditions! Have a dinner at your house and let your kids bake a dessert together!

You already reached out once it’s her turn now

She sounds toxic and it’s probably best she isn’t in your lives.

3 Likes

Stop reaching out to her !!! By reaching out your telling her she is right and you were wrong !!! I really hope you didn’t split your family up for thanksgiving ….

3 Likes

More time with your side of the family then since mil is being childish

4 Likes

You don’t make it “right”. She told you that she intends to treat you children differently/has favorites and doesn’t want to change that dynamic. Sounds like her loss! I think what you need to realize is that you want a healthy loving grandmother for your children but she isn’t it. If you need time to grieve that go ahead but listen to her when she says how she intends to treat children.

6 Likes
  1. Your husband should stand up with you. 2. Let her miss the kiss. You can’t let her split your family in holidays.
1 Like

Your hushand and the kids should go to her house. She doesnt want you in her house and its her choice. The only people getting hurt here is the kids.

I think the mother in law felt that you were un greatful for helping picking up the kids. How does she treat your kids differently then the other grandkids? I am confused. What I hate is parents expect family or friends to babysit their kids. There your kids.

Unfortunately she probably thinks she’s right. Walk away.

4 Likes

No reason to make it right . My mother does it to hers as well . My kids know respect are great kids others are all drug addicts . But they get her love . Just leave it be .

2 Likes

She’s causing a wedge in your marriage and I’m not here for it! You come as a package deal with your husband. You aren’t welcome neither is he :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Why isn’t your husband standing up for you and your children is the real question . .

2 Likes

Her loss, you got something a lot of women don’t. That is a husband who is in your side 100% so that speaks about him. He probably has noticed she treats kids differently.
Don’t make it right!!!
Start your own traditions.

7 Likes

Sometimes some family you’re better off without and that’s okay

1 Like

MIL is toxic as hell and it’s better to keep your kids from that. Make your own holiday traditions with your kids and husband, have a small family vacay for the holidays, a small dinner and invite some family members or friends over. It’s better to stay away from people like that, and even though it hurts it’s better for your kids to learn not to put up with toxic people just because they’re family.

5 Likes

You don’t fix this. You did nothing wrong. Your MIL SHOULD be treating ALL her grandkids the same! She honestly sounds like a bitter person and your family is better off without her in your life.

5 Likes

Nah bitch don’t need to see them. Fuck that. Treat all the kids the same or fuck all the way off

Apologize. Every relationship is different for many different reasons. Who cares if she treats them differently, as long as she treats them well. Smh

I’m in the same boat with mine… and we walked away…

Life goes on. Have your own family holidays with those that you love & respect you. That fool doesn’t need to be in your kids life. Kids are far more intuitive than we give them credit for. If this causes problems between you & husband let him go but I’d keep the kids home. If she wants to be a bonehead let her do it on her own time. Shake it off you deserve to be treated better than you are by his mom. Be cordial but cold, this sounds like a fence that she won’t even try to fix & let her make the first move, she caused the rift let her fix it

Sounds like the MIL has the problem. Your husband should stand up for you and your kids.

4 Likes

that sucks and im really sorry but if im being hinest you dint need to be with them for it to be a family thanksgiving look at it as a blessing you can start your own traditions for the holidays and wont have to deal with all the drama that comes with dealing with family who dont want to speak to you or talk nasty to you and yours again im so sorry your going threw this

2 Likes

My in laws always treated my kids different then her daughters kids. I would bring my kids to see them at least 3 times a week. They treated my kids so poorly I finally stopped going to her house. I never talked bad about the in laws to my kids. My husband would bring my kids over & mil would talk bad about me to my kids. Finally my husband stopped got to their house. My kids are 36 & 31 and haven’t seen them in 20 years. Years ago my kids asked me why I never knocked them & always tried to have them in their lives. I explained that I didn’t want to be the reason my husband or them didn’t have a Rey either them. My kids are married with their own kids & have never seen them again. We as parents have to protect our kids from evil people

6 Likes

MIL sounds toxic. Cut ties with her for your mental health and your childrens. It’s not healthy to feel this way. You did nothing wrong and someone that has Grandchildren should be treated ALL the SAME. Last, your husband should be speaking up.

4 Likes

Its not your job to make it right. Its hers. Shes being super unreasonable and acting like a child.

4 Likes

Someone who blocks family like that isn’t someone you can reason with. This is manipulative and gaslighting. Glad your husband is sticking with you.

6 Likes

The MIL is holding a grudge because she got called out. Shame on her, but its the kids who are ultimately being effected. Talk to your husband, see if he can get through to her.

3 Likes

Shes mad because you called her out on her bs.
I’m the type I’d just move right along. Im stubborn. She’s the one being ridiculous. You don’t need that negativity in you or your kids lives.

4 Likes

She seems to like control. Is she allowed by the parents of the other grandchildren to run the lives of the kids? Just asking….been there. She might see you as a threat to being able to run the show in your kids’ lives.

3 Likes

Why would you even talk about something like that geez it’s Thanksgiving be fing thankful you are breathing at all. That being said you are just going to suffer till she’s decided you get what you give

4 Likes

As long as your husband supports what ever is going on no matter how much it hurts you both every one is better off withour MIL. You cant repair it from one side

2 Likes

Family is family. I think at one point in our lives we have all said things that “are bellow the belt”. I think that for the love of my husband I have learned to love the ones he loves. In your case….your MIL will need to learn for the sake of her son she needs to love or at least respect the ones he loves. Hold your ground and I believe she will come around especially if your husband isn’t showing up out of respect for you :heart: give it time.

4 Likes

U can only look at what u did. Ur not telling the whole story obviously

3 Likes

You did the right thing. Kids can pick up on how differently they’re treated compared to other grandchildren. It’s good your husband is sticking by your side. Toxic is toxic and she is being immature. You’ve even tried to reach out, you were being an adult voicing your concerns. She’s the one not addressing the problem.

6 Likes

She sounds real mature.

She’ll die soon enough… and poof, no more problem :smirk:

10 Likes

You have a toxic MIL who doesn’t want to admit she has control issues.
You keep your kids home and explain that grandma has a bullying problem

26 Likes

Sounds like it might be beyond your control. You cannot force her to move on if she doesn’t want to. This may be something you have to accept as unfortunate as it may be. Leave the door open for her for when she’s ready but don’t entertain her poor behavior. Your husband should be supporting you and
Not allowing this behavior. If the whole family isn’t not allowed then my kids aren’t allowed if how I see it. Maybe time will be on your side but for now just let things ride.

2 Likes

I’m dealing with the same MIL problems :roll_eyes:. The is nothing to fix if it’s not both sided. I feel your pain

1 Like

Make sure your family especially your children have a wonderful time on all special occasions. I’m an old woman and have seen lots in my time.

2 Likes

My oldest is ten and youngest is seven and their father’s mother has never once reached out to them on her own EVER. Decided this year to cut all ties with her. Her LOSS

Grandparents do treat children differently. Maybe she is closer to the other kids. You took the opportunity at a family gathering to “put her in her place” about how she treats your kids, and now she isn’t wanting to be bothered with you. (Would you have said anything to your own mother, or would you have treated her differently? You are being shunned as an adult and your kids are getting the fallout from it. Sorry for the kids. You should have picked a private venue.

4 Likes

Seems ur MIL needs to learn the true meaning of being thankful, although hard on children its harder to be treated less than others. She thinks she is in charge when infact she just, clearly, a petty child. I think better off with out the drama :slight_smile:

sadly when your kids are older they probably won’t want much to do with there Nan and that will be on her. Sounds like you tried but she clearly wants to hold a grudge. Your babies will thrive on love from you and others who care about your Whanau x

1 Like

She is petty as all heck. Time to detach from that toxicity.

2 Likes

It’s not up to you to make it right. You have your husband n kids. Do your own thing.

3 Likes

Sounds to me like you already made it right. Don’t let that petty bitch get to you. She made her bed let her lay in it. That’s the kind of toxic you completely cut out

She is so toxic and you and your kids are better off! We started our own family traditions because it’s much healthier that way, we all accept and love each other so much and that’s what the holidays are about. Sometimes you are better off!

5 Likes

I love that your husband is supporting you all the way :heart: you have reached out to MIL and she threw it back in your face, so let her stew in her own arrogance, she obviously likes to be in control and doesn’t like getting told the truth, it’s her loss!! As for your 10 year, explain that you have had a falling out and describe it as similar to a school playground fallout. As a grandparent myself, I would never punish my grandkids if I had a row with my son in law or daughter in law but I class myself as lucky as we all get on great. Good luck and enjoy your life whether MIL is in it or not x

11 Likes

As a child of that , I have been through that, every year for Christmas, I got a pair of socks , while the others got dolls, that is if I was not forgotten. I saw my grandparents just about everyday. What I can say is yes it does hurt, but I had a good mom and dad and they made sure I never went with out, I also had another grandma that also made sure I never went with out. I just came to terms with the situation and went on with it. Each child will deal with it in their own way. I loved them anyway.

3 Likes

Remember, There is always two sides to every story.

I would not worry about it. I would have my own tradition at home with my children. I would not include her in anything. Invite his family members to your home. Who says the venue can’t be changed. Good luck and God bless.

2 Likes

Well, think of this:
What kind of an example do you want set for your kids regarding fairness?

How important is all of their happiness, and will it be gained by watching grama favor some and ignore others?

How important is it to teach them to stand up for themselves, or for others?

Maybe a speaker phone call with all of the kids and the husband present, asking grama for answers, so they can hear it for themselves instead of hearing it from you. That way, they can’t hold a grudge against you if she decides to be mean.

3 Likes

MIL sounds toxic…
You dont need to fix anything. Carry on with your life and make yr children happy.

3 Likes

Don’t give in. All grandkids get treated the same period. Whether you are a blended family or whatever. Your kids don’t deserve all the hurt.

1 Like