How is it having kids 10-years-apart?

There are pros and cons to it. My oldest brother is 10 years older than my youngest and their relationship wasnt the best. Of course there’s the sibling rivalry, but when my oldest brother was always out doing things with their friends and my little brother needed guidance and help learning to be himself, he didnt have him to lean on and he would be jealous that he cared about girls and everything else (he was a teen duh lol) more than him it got difficult. But, on the other hand, there were times when my eldest brother would help protect him.
A lot of people are saying that its great because the older one can help take care of the baby yada yada yada, but the older child will actually become quite hateful towards that because it isnt the childs responsiblity to raise their siblings.
It honestly has everything to do with how much attachment he/she has to the baby because that will make or break the complications with having such a difference.

I’m 10 years older than my sister and it was a great experience. It did teach me about childcare and taking care of others and she learned from me also. I’m 50 now and she’s turning 40 and we’re still very close.

In my family, us kids go age 27, 25, 18, 16. My older and youngest brothers arent all that close, but also it’s kind if a unique bond. When the 16yr old was young, the 27 year old (then an early tween) loved to play with the younger ones and care for them and he was very helpful. But once my older brother reached full teen years he couldnt care less to play with them.

I’m 13yrs apart for my older brother and I could be more blessed it happen that way. We have a good relationship obviously we have our downs about 98.9% we are getting along! I would do anything to protect him

My kids are 7 yrs apart. My daughter being the older one. She is also the youngest girl of her dad’s full grown kids. Her oldest sister being 29 yrs old. They pretty much have their own lives to care so it’s ok i guess

My oldest was 8 when I had my youngest. He was absolutely in love with his baby brother. Now that the youngest is a toddler there are times he wears on his brother a bit, but we just try to make sure the oldest has his own personal space. Overall it’s great, I’ve never regretted putting a large gap between them.

As long as you don’t make the older sibling “ babysit all the time.” My little brother was 10 years younger than me. He wax a fun kid to be around and fun to babysit w except that I became the main caretaker and was not allowed to be a kid, spend time w my friends, or do after school activities, in addition to babysitting … was expected to sterilize bottles, make formula, wash diaper and hang them up. Etc, etc, I resented the Hell out of my mom for all the responsibility she put on me. I never resented my little brother, it was not his fault.

5 Likes

Just dont expect the older child to babysit or take over the parent duties.
My sister and I are 10 years apart .
I hated babysitting all the Time.
We dont get along now.
I had my life she has hers .
When I turned 17 I moved out.

My brother and I were born 10 years apart to the day. I remember being very excited about having a baby brother or sister when Mom was pregnant and even more excited when he was born. There were no issues with our age difference. We have always been very close.

Mine are 13 years a part in some ways it’s like have 2 only children. They are very close and the oldest is very protective of his brother. I promise it will be ok

My daughter is almost 10 and she loves having a baby brother! He’s 2 weeks old and she’s so helpful and loving.

2 Likes

My dad remarried and there’s 8 years between me and my brother and 11 between me and my sister. I know we didn’t live together so the sibling tensions different but we are so close. My sister said it was “cool that I was old enough to take her places but not too old”

I am 11 years older than my sister. I loved that little girl and took her everywhere with me. I just drove 4 1/2 hours to spend time with her and my brother-in-law. I’m 72 years old and still love that girl. Just a warning don’t let the older child spoil the heck out of the baby, you’ll all pay for that for a long time.

My stepson and kids are 12, 15, 16, and 19 years apart and he loved it and hated it. I already had the oldest when we got married. When I got pregnant with the glue, he was 15. He is like a second dad to them honestly. He spoils them and looks out for them.

My two are ten yrs apart girl first and then the year if her 9th birthday I found out pregnant with my son plus I was 40 yrs myself. At
First I was upset
And had given all away as not having anymore.
Friends helped me calm down and threw a shower too. My daughter was excited and wanting to hold
Baby all time but
It wore off. It is like having two families. Some of it eas jealousy
Over him getting
Attention and me always with him but my husband was a big help and very
Willing to watch him so I could still do some things with her
Now grown they are so far apart
Living in different states
But try to get together whenever they can

I have a 10 month old son with my husband. He has a 15 year old daughter from previous marriage. We also live in different states and only visit once a year. There isn’t much of a relationship between his daughter and our son…and his daughter doesn’t acknowledge him as her father soooooo…really it depends on each family and their dynamic and how they deal with it. She was pissed we had a baby. And we plan on trying for another one still.

I had my last two sons when my first two kids were 10 and 9. It was totally fine, both kids loved helping with feedings and entertainment

I have a 9 year old boy and a 4 month old…they are 9 years apart almost to the day. Big brother is very helpful. He has days he gets jealous but when he is included he is fine!

My kids are 11 years apart. I was worried about it too. But it ended up being great! My oldest is such a big help with my youngest and my youngest just adores him

My kids were 8, 11 and 15 years older than their brother and they ALL have beautiful relationships with him.

I’m 12 years older than my sister. She was always my live doll as kids :wink:! Now we’re close at 42 and 30… it’s perfect now because my boys are teenagers and think I’m the annoying mom but her kiddos are 8 and 5 and I LOVE having them! I love being the fun aunt…

I’ve got 14 and 15 years old years and a 3 year old boy followed by a 2 year old girl.
Its the best of both worlds, it’s not easy but when is parenthood ever xx

Me and my brother our ten years apart and we have an amazing relationship

I was 9 when my brother was born. I loved helping when he was a baby… then I became a babysitter as we got older which i hated and then i moved out and we arent very close.

I was born in 84 and had siblings born in 93, 94 and 97. As we have grown older it has been a blessing.

Its been awesome. Its easier to explain to my older kids why the baby gets so much more physical attention and that it won’t always be like this… theres less jealousy and regression with my older kids than when I had my first two… they are 21 months apart… that was not fun…

My sister is 10 years older than me and she is my sister and my other mom and my best friend…She means the world to me we have a special bond she always said my mom had me for her .lol

My brother and I are 11 years apart. We have a hard time finding things in common.

I’m 13 years older than my brother and I adore him but I’m more second momma than sister , I’ve always been in his corner , we never fight he can tell me anything! He’s now 21 always my baby bro

Dont make the older child a live in baby sitter and it will be fine. Otherwise they grow up and years later have resentment towards you for it.

1 Like

My kids are 17, 15, and 7 and due anyday with our 4th daughter. 10 years and 8 years apart has always been good. I imagine this will be just fine as well. :heartpulse:

I have 2 kids 10 years apart and we haven’t had any issues, in fact free babysitting. Plus I have a sister 10 years older than me and 1 10 years younger than me and I didn’t have any issues growing up either. They will adjust and so will you!

My little sister was born when I was 10 and she said I was like a second Mother, but I loved her dearly!! Only a problem if you make one out of it!!

I’m 36, my older sisters are 46 and 48. My younger brothers are 32 and 30. My sister is my best friend. Did we have issues? I mean sure but what siblings don’t. And she babysat me all the time and had a hard time with being my sister not my mom

I am 8 yrs older than my middle brother and 11 yrs older than my baby brother. We were close and basically thick as thieves when we were younger… :grimacing:

I had one graduate high school…and another graduate kindergarten same year …

1 Like

It all depends on how you make it. Have your oldest child help so they dont feel left out.

I’m 9 years older than my only brother. Everything will be hard for your daughter when she realized she is not the last bottle of water in the dessert and the world does not round around her any more and another baby got your attention. But time will go by and Your daughter will be just fine.

My oldest brother and I are 20 years apart… my sister and I are 11 years apart. My sister and I are best friends now that I’m older

I had my daughter when her siblings were 9,11 and 13 and a son 2 years later. All from the same marriage just big surprises. Lol They loved it and always helped so much. They have a beautiful relationship between all of them. The younger ones (now 13 and 11) adore their older siblings We could never imagine our lives without them.

I’m ten years apart from my brother! We get along just fine!

I have a daughter who will be 14 in October, a daughter who will be 2 in August and a baby due in December. My teenage is great with my Toddler and is looking forward to the new baby too. She is a great help too

I’m ten years apart from my brother we are now 42 and 32 and we are very close, and he was like my baby lol growing up!

my kids are 20 and 30, best buds now, not so much then. it gets better when they get older

I’ve got a 24,23,20,17 And a 9 yr old😂.Sooo for the years apart is huge for me…its a lil harder tho on my two youngest as their always wanting to spend time w my oldest son.Hes grown w a gf n job…his own life going on…but always talks to them on fb n tonight there all hanging out.Itll be ok…just don’t let them get to busy in life where they forget bout each other-Family is everything!!

My two youngest boys are 10 and 2… and really close bond.

I have 5 kids, 17yo, 14yo, 7yo, 5yo and 2months old. They all love to play together, all ages.

I am 16 years older than my sister so is like my daughter

I’m 13 years older than my brother. My first son is 14 and my second is 2 :joy: it was an adjustment for sure but the main thing was making sure he still felt important to us just like his new brother :heart:

I have 8 years apart. They have pretty much gotten along for the most part. There is alot if jealousy

I have four but my eldest and youngest are just about 10 yrs apart and the eldest stole my baby :joy: at 32 and 23 they are still very close

Well my son is 11 and i feel on my heart its going to be a beautiful exsparience!!! Im pregnant now and my son always wanted and prayed for a little brother and Jesus blessed him!!! Hes thankful and excited!!!

My children are 7yrs apart they love one another and are close

Me and my sister are ten years apart ! We very close,she is my baby I spoiled her!

Hard on the body being 10 years older but at least you have a 10 year old able to help you.

My older sister and i are 10 years apart. My mom had her tubes tied but ooops 10 years later here i come. Oh and i was supposed to be a boy! Lol

1 Like

Well my kids are 33,25, and 12 yr old twins. My eldest was 20 when twins born had her own life on the go not close with twins.
My next daughter was 13 and is very very close to them.and is 25

i’m pregnant and my son is 8 he’s so excited,

I’m 15 years older then one of my siblings and I love my little sister to death! I’m almost 28 and she’s almost 13

My son became very protective of my daughter

My sister had kids 18 years apart n her daughter is totally cool with a baby brother she just wont change diapers :laughing:

My daughter will be 10 this December and my husband and I are trying for another. Have been for a few yrs now. I met my husband a lil late in life I think lol

My sister was 18 years old when mother had me

My kids are 4 years apart and aren’t close

My first and last are ten years apart. It will work!

I’m pregnant and my daughter is 10…she can’t wait to be moms helper

My 11 yr old picks on my 2 year old… Bad

Mine was almost 18yrs apart an it was amazing she adores her big brother an him her

My last is 3 years old - my middle 13 years old. My oldest 18 years old. Its great - lots of helper - total blessings :pray:.
God knows whats he doing-

involve her make her apart and let her know she will always be your little girl give it time,

I had one 10 years apart. Blessing. The oldest became almost like a father figure to his younger brother. Taught him a lot in sports and etc.
They have actually have helped each other a lot thru hard times besides good times. His sister that is 8 yrs. Apart is also so close to him. They help each other all the time, talk all the time. I couldnt be more blessed by the love and care they share.

My 2 girls are 13 years apart and they are really close great friends

My cousin has a 15 year old and a newborn. She adores him.

My mom and her sister were 12 years apart.

There’s 13 yrs between my oldest 2

I can’t say, the biggest gap between my kids is 6 years but I have a sister that’s 2. I’m 31. :joy::woman_shrugging:

My oldest is 29 my youngest is 11

I have kids 20 years apart

My are 8 years apart

12.5 years #4 & #5

I have a 19yr old, 17yr old, 8yr old and am leaving in a few hours too have our fourth edition and final baby girl!! They all love the age difference and its been a life saver for me as well! The kids begged us for about a year to have her, we finally conceded :joy: my 19yo is a sophomore in college and in her own home my 17yo is a senior and will fly the coop once the school year finishes leaving our 9yo and baby girl!

I have a 25, 21 and a 3 year old. My older two are great with him. There is no fighting or bickering between them and they help me out tremendously when I need time to breathe.

My kids range from 25 (stepson), 15, 7,6, and 2. VERY wide range of age! All the kids love their siblings like numbers don’t mean ANYTHING. It also means you have a built in babysitter soon! Congrats to your growing family!!! :heart:

Big Brother Big Sister

Seriously, good luck…

The time flys by fast our oldest is 40 our youngest will be 18 next month its awesome.

My daughter is 11 and my son is 1. They are inseparable. He laughs at literally everything she does. And she’s ADHD/ASD, so while she can’t really be left alone with him like a typical 11 year old, while I shower or whatever, but she can watch him for a couple minutes at a time, or distract him when I leave the room so he doesn’t scream. They truly entertain each other. She also shoves him out of the way and kicks him when he’s bothering her. And he tries to scratch her eyeballs out when she attempts to kiss him or hold him if he wants to go. But I can’t keep them apart, even when I try. You know… siblings. :woman_shrugging:

My three handsome boys age are 20,9,8

My kids are 16 years apart had my daughter then my son given both same due date for them both but my son was born a week earlier it’s good because you can spend more.time with your younger child n plus the older child gets to join in and help too xxx

Their will be jealousy… spend as much quality time with oldest as much as possible… best wishes mamma! Other than that our son was great with new babies…

I was 14 when my brother was born. Im 34 now and my daughter was 8 when I had her brother and 9 when I had her sister. Now they are 16,6,7. Sunday is the youngest birthday she will be 7 then boy be 8 in july they 11 months apart.

I had my kids 7years apart. I had three. This way each kid got to be the baby for 7 yrs. They all very much looked forward to next baby, and 7 yr.old can be a big help with new baby . No jealousy between kids.

I have 4 kids. 3 boys 17 14 and 4. And a daughter 2 1/2. First 2 from first marriage he cheated on me. Later met second husband he’s great. But my 4 year old tries daily to top the pecking order. Knows teens are kids not adults. He pesters them hits them all the time. It’s horrible. They like him but are very frustrated they can’t punish him like we can. They are in love with our daughter who is autistic and way behind in speaking. Having kids 10 years later is so much harder. My patience is less I feel more been there done that but I love being their mom. I’m ready more for my 17 year old to move out soon. Makes transition easier perhaps? I will find out. I cherish times when they all get along if even just a few minutes… I’m 43

I have a 12, 10, 4 and a 1 month old and having the two older kids is a blessing. They help out so much and they adore the baby

We have a 12 year old, 11 year old, 2 year old, and 8 month old. It’s challenging at times but always entertaining.

My brothers are 10 and 12 years younger than me. I love it. I have a great relationship with them and we never fight. I love my brothers like nothing else :heart:

My son and daughter are ten years apart and share the same birthday he’s 24 and she’s 14 and get along great

I have a 11 year old and a almost 2 year old. I was so scared to tell my oldest cuz it was just me and her all that time, but it has been amazing, they are best friends

My youngest sister and I are 10 years apart. Growing up it was hard. I was always her babysitter and we have always grown up in different worlds… but now we are adults and our relationship has really grown.

My fiance is (almost)22 and his sister is 8. Theyve always had a great relationship.