How much to pay a babysitter?

My daycare charges me 130 weekly and I provide food drinks

Too much. I watch my sisterā€™s 3 kids for free I come to her house and I also have 3 of my own

2 Likes

Look on care.com most is 20 per hour but can be 25 an hour in NJ

Even educators in preschools with all the degrees, child development and a study course in play is something like 10-15. Not to mention in a bigger city. In Oregon where I live its compleatly outrageous to be paying something like that. Babysitters make something like 4-5$ and state paid sitters make 2.50-3$ an hour!!! Now if it was an evening or DATE sitter. 40$ for the NIGHT maybeā€¦ when I was a working single mom I made a deal with a ladyā€¦ I paid 60$ a week, provided all supplies toys food snacksā€¦ I tipped her more if I got good tips at work or happened to randomly get a child support payment. And tried to be as generous as I was able

donā€™t let her watch the kids

1 Like

No $20 for each day sounds reasonable.

1 Like

I pay $16 a day for 1 child.

Depends on the area you live in but 40 per hour is insane anywhere lol. In my area the average for a babysitter is 3-4 bucks per kid per hour. And maybe 10 bucks an hour for a date night

My baby sitter watches my son from 6:30am-4:45pm for $25 a day!

I pay my sister a percentage because I do not work the same amount of hours every shift. It varies from 3-9 hours. Plus she lives with me so I buy all the groceries and pay all the bills.

That is outrageous! Especially coming from your sister.

1 Like

Here in Aus I charge $20 per hour and babysit in my clients home, I do cook for the child using the food supplied by her mother

1 Like

ā€¦$4 for one child is what I charge. And I also provide food and drinks.

2 Likes

Surely youā€™re joking!! This is a site for REAL questions. Please donā€™t make up outrageous questions just to see peopleā€™s reactions.

3 Likes

Iā€™d say $40 a day maybe but not an hour. She must not want to baby sit very bad. Shop around you will be paying more than what you will be making. Good luck.

3 Likes

Haha no depends where you live but $15-$18 an hour is average. Iā€™ve been a babysitter for 15 years and I havenā€™t raised my prices. Care.com has a calculator can look up average cost for your area by zipcode. And shes family sheā€™s ripping you off. If shes babysitting full time for you then you providing food or diapers isnt unreasonable, but work something out families are meant to help each other.

1 Like

Wow :open_mouth: your sister is crazy! I wouldnā€™t pay the Pope that much an hr to watch my kid!! Who does she think she is? If u pay her this u have enough money to just stay home lol

Sounds like the sister doesnā€™t really want to babysit!

4 Likes

Nice sister :roll_eyes: find someone else.

2 Likes

No and especially if itā€™s your sister unless youā€™re a multimillionaire then itā€™s fine

2 Likes

Thatā€™s insane. Especially being sheā€™s watching her own niece or nephew. My sister has never asked for shit when watching my kids.

I work part time 1 to 5 PM I pay my sitter 5 dollars a day for my 5 year old and 7 for my 3 year old cause sheā€™d still in diapers and at the beginning of the week I bring over a shopping bag FULL of groceries and help her out through the week if there is anything thing else she needs like drinks or if sheā€™s out of mayo

Maybe for a full 8 hoursā€¦ but even then snacks and lunch should be includedā€¦

I pay 40-50 a day depending on how long and she supplies food (her choice cause I offered to bring all her food) And I pay 20.4$ a day for daycare

I make a living babysitting and I charge 3.75 an hour per kid (siblings get a discount) I make 30 dollars a day per kid for an 8 hour day. This includes meals/snacks and drinks and crafts and I still make a reasonable profit. I watch between 1 and 4 kids. Really the kids mostly play with each other all day while i take care if my baby or clean the house. We do have structured meals and snacks and try to squeeze in learning time and/or outdoor play. Iā€™m in upstate NY. Someone charging that much must not like kids so much :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

wow no way thats ridicoules

1 Like

No. $40, a hour? Shit I used to get paid $40, a day

Damn get you a new sister.

$40/hr??? Thatā€™s crazy!

3 Likes

Maybe $40 a day but $40 an hour thatā€™s a bit much

2 Likes

Excuse the videoā€¦ I have no idea how it got in my comment!

I pay 80 a week lol. Babysitting isnā€™t even a a minimum wage job. Daycares donā€™t even charge minimum wage for daycare lol.

1 Like

Dang a daycare is usually 20 a day per child

1 Like

I made $2/hr for 1 child. $2.50 for 2 children, $3.00 for 3 children.

Do you even make $40 an hour?

4 Likes

I qatch kids at home for a living and i charge $20 a day for drop ins if they supply food and such or $30 if i have to. For a full time slot i charge $75 a week for them to supply, $125 if not.

Thatā€™s absolutely outrageous to pay anybody that let alone your own sister

WHAT?
For like an in home, not licensed babysitter I pay like 2-3 an hour per kid.

No way to much $40 an hour if you make more than that are you hiring

I paid 25$ a day . From 8am-430 pm. And my sitter supplies the food.

Thatā€™s crazy Iā€™m a nanny and I work for 12 an hour!!!

That is way to much. $40 a day sounds better.

I would watch your kid feed and take them to the park for 25$ a day Nurses dont even make 40hr. Lol nurses in florida start at 26$ hr

2 Likes

That is insane, no one could ever afford that. A day care would be much cheaper and they provide the food

Uhhhh that seems like a lot for just an hour :o

I have one i watch for 30.00 a day

1 Like

Your sister knows your kid better than I do, she would know what it worth.

1 Like

When I was in the NYC area I got paid $20 an hour.

Nooooooo way tooooo much. Sheā€™s not serious, i hope. Im an old nurse 67y. Iā€™d watch him /her for 40$ day! Good luck little momma.

Sheā€™s trying to rip you off $20 a day

Thatā€™s crazyā€¦top price in my neck of the woods is 10.00 per hr an check able references.

1 Like

When I watch kids itā€™s 20$ a kids a day. With food provided. Thatā€™s from 7:30am-2:30pm

1 Like

No. That is insane. When I babysat outside of the preschool they paid me like 15-18 an hour for 2 kids. I made $11 an hour working in child care. Lol full time and we provided snacks but, not lunch. We were $160 a week

She charging you a day what most people pay in a week in daycare no good at all 40Ɨ8 hrs. A day 320 bucks a day hummm hell no!!

Oh no not 40 a hourā€¦ maybe a day

I watch a 3 yr oldā€¦ 7am-5:30pm and I get $30/dayā€¦ $40/hr is crazy!

I Charge by the day! 15$ a day

Most charge $30-40 a day, and thatā€™s if they have to provide food and drinks for the dayā€¦ thatā€™s insane

If she has a daycare/preschool, is licensed and degreed she can ask for whatever she wants. You donā€™t have to pay.
Find someone else. Simple.

1 Like

Thats insane!! $30 to $40 day is average were i am

$40 for an hour?! Please tell me thatā€™s a typo and you meant $4 an hour?!

1 Like

Thats a lot. Lol. She is totally over charging. Big time. 40/hour. Give me a break lmao. 40/day seems more like it.

Non licensed i wouldnā€™t pay over 20 a day!

Noā€¦ Unregistered Home day care is around $20 half day $40 full dayā€¦ That includes snacks ( lunch for full day)

No. Find a different child care.

Thats like 2 12hr shifts for the daycare i used

$20 a day per kid is the average around where Iā€™m at

Hell to the nawā€¦ Average pay is $120 a week for babies under 6mā€¦ :joy: thats 1 kid tho

It sounds like she is hoping if she charges an insane amount of money you will take your child elsewhere to be watched.

1 Like

$40/hour?!!! Not to be rude but who the hell does your sister think she is? I pay $50 a DAY for daycare and they provide food and diapers!! And Iā€™m in Massachusetts which is not a cheap state to live in.

2 Likes

They usually charged by the week. I would say 75for one and two 150.

Ahhhhhhhā€¦ no. Thatā€™s insane.

Shes trying to screw you over

I pay $10 per hour at the MOST for my babysitter.

1 Like

We only pay 57$ a day for TWO kids.

Thats ridiculous. It would be cheaper finding a daycare you trust and putting them in there.

1 Like

Is this even a real friggen question? Like most people donā€™t even make close to that at a real job . 40 a hour is crazy

4 Likes

These questions are made up to generate comments. Lets argue.

4 Likes

40 dollars a day sounds more reasonable

5 Likes

Thatā€™s crazy. I paid my sister $40 a day

2 Likes

I used to do private daycare - 20 years ago - and charged $3.50/hr first child, $2.75 for second. Your sister is trying to get rich off of her niece/nephew - a rotten thing to do.

4 Likes

the daycare around me are like 300 to 500 a week.

1 Like

i pay $40 for an 8 hour day and she provides everythingā€¦ my other babysitter i had i paid 5 an hour and she was fine with that

Hell no itā€™s not reasonable at all

2 Likes

I would never charge family & friends

2 Likes

I paid $10 an hour for 5 hours a day. We paid about $900 a month. Thatā€™s really ridiculous especially because she is family she should be giving you a break

I charge 10 and I have a fingerprint clearance card for card and 10 years working in daycares

That is her way of saying she donā€™t want to.

1 Like

I charge $90 the whole weekā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s more than a registered nurse makes an hour :joy:

5 Likes

No way! I babysit for my sister and she has 3 boys (5,3,8mo) and I take my 6 mo old. We settled on $70 for an 8 hour day.

2 Likes

No that is crazy 40 a day.

1 Like

$4 an hourā€¦AND itā€™s family? Definitely not reasonable!

1 Like

Maybe if it was like 2 hours. :flushed:

Um no lol. I watch my kids younger brother (same dad/diff mom) two days a week usually from 5pm till 10/11am for $30 a day and I feed him etc as I would my own children. I usually watch him fri and sat so if I make weekend plans with my kids, I usually include him as well, no questions asked.

Lol :joy: in dreamland she will get that not even close in the real world. Shoot Iā€™ve been teaching preschool for 18 years hv my degree and make $16 lol smh I say minimum wage, she is your sister first of all :roll_eyes:

Daycare is about 130 a week where Iā€™m from

My sister charge me 35 a week and she provides the foodā€¦and all she does is take my son to school thats allā€¦

My family watches my kids for free for me if I need a baby sitter. Iā€™ve offered to pay and IF they accept any payment it isnā€™t more than 20-30 bucks for a full day. 40 and hour is ridiculous.

1 Like

Well my sister and I had an agreement that I watch her daughter 7-2:30 and she would pay me 100 a week but after a while she stopped paying me due to me finally getting my own job