How to flip breech baby?

My baby (4th) was breech and was breech for 19 weeks of my pregnacy I was offered the ecv but looked that up and did lots of research and my own choice was not to have it… so ended up having a section at 38 weeks… tbh its not a nice experience and things were very difficult but only for a couple of weeks more so the first few days… i had no joy with what ever I did to turn my baby naturally they said he wasn’t guna move… on the other hand i delivered my daughter naturally breech n she was just fine… personally I would hold out n try n go n close to due date before a decision is made but good luck in what ever you choose

I had a breech so had it externally turned very painful and felt bruised for about 2 weeks after and ended up having csection anyway as the cord got wrapped around his legs let things go naturally good luck

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to flip breech baby? - Mamas Uncut

Hmm I don’t have any tricks for that but when my last one was in the breech position my doctor basically moved my belly around in some sort of massage my last couple appts to help him flip and that worked. Did they offer to do anything in office during your visits?

I had the same problem with my youngest child. I was 38 weeks when she turned. I drove through the mountains when she finally turned coming down and yes I was driving which completely freaked me out.

There’s still a lot of time for baby to turn at 36 weeks. Are they planning to induce you or are you hoping to go into labor on your own time?

Almost 30 years ago they tried a version on me. I dunno if it’s changed since then but a) it was unsuccessful (he was a double foot breach) and b) exceptionally painful.

3 Likes

My little one was breech up until 4 days before she was born…she flipped herself into position on time to come out so maybe just chill and don’t stress and see what happens. :wink:

Usually doc will turn baby. You still got some time for baby to turn. Recovering from a Csection is ok. I had two. Dont worry god is great :blush::pray:

3 Likes

I don’t have advice on how to flip a breech sorry but i can give you some on what to expect for a c section. My girl was breech but I had a premature birth at 34+4 . I was going to look into things to get her turned around but my waters broke the next day so I didn’t have a chance. If you do have to have a c section - try not to get worked up they will talk you through everything they are doing to make you feel the calmest you can be… You may feel pressure when they are getting baby out as moving around alot of muscles organs etc ( I didn’t feel a thing) I got really itchy on my back the night after from the morphine in the spinal. Make sure you rest up alot as u will be swollen and very bruised and sore.

Roll out of bed when getting up . Don’t lift anything heavier than the baby as u will risk ripping your cut.

In the shower just rinse your bandage with warm water. I found using a hair dryer to dry it out afterwards worked really well . I used bio oil on my scar most days and 1 year later you can hardly see it. You won’t be able to drive for 6 weeks ( well that’s recommended)

I hope this helps. :slight_smile: Take it easy, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Keep on top of the pain killers x

Get on all 4’s put your ass in the air ,stay that way as long as you are comfortable. Try that a few times a day, hopefully the baby will turn. Worked for me many years ago.

7 Likes

Chiropractors can help with the adjustment of your pelvis so the baby has more room to get in optimal position, ie when they are breech if they know the Webster technique

5 Likes

Warm bath with ice on top of ur belly

I was told to get on hands and knees and rock back and forth my baby was breech at 36 weeks also but one night she just did a complete flip and turned around

They should know how too. A midwife certainly does and your doc if need be. But they liketo make it easy on them so they will do a c section.

3 Likes

My baby turned at 39 weeks, just so happened to be having a sonogram at the time and watched him turn.

I have an ECV @ 36 weeks… my 3rd was head down from 28 weeks then decided to flip to breech… it was successful and she stayed head down and was able to deliver vaginally… it was an uncomfortable experience but well worth it… I had to have a emergency c-section 15 months earlier,in which I recovered very quickly… was back to normal after a week or so…

It is possible to have a successful vaginal breech birth. I did with my daughter.

I dont not suggest the version! I had it done ended up with bruising all over it induced labor and ended up with an emergency Csection! At least if it’s planned you have time to prepare! When my water broke a foot came out!

Put a bag of cold peas on the top of your stomach ,that should work .It Worked for me with baby #2 :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I was in the same situation. Baby breech at 36 weeks, I was scheduled to be induced at 38 weeks so I was scared about havibg to have a c section. Through no work on my end, the baby flipped on her own and I had her naturally after all. There is still time! Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

My first was breech and couldn’t be turned. I was booked in for a C section but 2 weeks before the booked date, my waters broke and he started to turn when I first went into labour. Ended up having the C section because he was transverse, so don’t underestimate your little Houdini. Bub may turn at the last minute.
If you do have to have the C section, you’ll be fine. It’ll be over and done with quickly and within minutes you’ll be holding your precious bundle in your arms.
Bit of discomfort in your pelvic area afterwards but I honestly believe the distraction of the baby lessons the discomfort. You’ll be up and walking within hours - albeit slowly and gently.
I went on to have a vaginal delivery with my 2nd and can honestly say I’d much rather a C section.
Best wishes Mumma :bouquet:

I put music on my phone and placed it at the bottom of my belly. I rocked back and forth and danced. I was 34 weeks then, by 36 weeks she was head down.

If you have a C-section follow their advice and rest as much as possible I did too much too early and got an infection in the incision line

1 Like

So this happened to me too with my 3rd . First 2 completely natural. I tried everything. My water broke she was still breech. They told me what it would entail for then to try and move her and the risks scared the hell out of me so I said no and had the c section. It isn’t an 100 percent guarantee that it would work so it wasn’t worth it to me

I had an ECV at 37 weeks and baby flipped back by 38 weeks so we scheduled a 2nd ECV for 39 weeks to flip her again and then induce. But when i went in for the ECV and induction she already flipped on her own!

1 Like

Learn something new everyday… Did not know you could flip a baby before it was born.

4 Likes

Usually doc will try and turn baby and you still have time for baby to flip. Pretty much with a c section u just cant lift anything heavier than your baby for 6 weeks cause i had a c section cause my baby was breeched.

I was pregnant with twins they both were breech the doctor turned them around…. May you have a safe delivery & blessings to you, your new baby & family :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::hugs:

3 Likes

I had a Reiki session with my midwife, it wasn’t successful for me and went on to have a c-section but worth a try with a qualified practitioner.

You still have time for the baby to turn.
My son didn’t get into position until it was was almost my due date

My son flipped when I was in labor to breech position…nurse had a stern talk with him and he flipped right back to the correct position…lol

If you have to get a csection, get a good belly binder. They are life savers. The hardest part is definitely getting up and down but once up and going I was fine. Move as much as possible without over doing it (I know it’s hard as a mom) and hopefully you will heal quickly. I tried not to take the pain meds unless almost in tears.

2 Likes

Depends on which type c section. These days it can be via the vaginal canal. Most times otherwise it’s just a crosswise incision just above the pubic region, but below the hairline so the hair later covers it,. Occasionally the old fashioned type is used from solar chakra to pubic area. I had the new way for my ectopic (pubic incision). It took 6 weeks plus to recover.

Best imho to see if a chiropractor can turn the baby for you.

My 2kids were c section not by choice but recovery was much harder the first time(emergency)…2nd baby (scheduled)was in pain but not as long was able to walk halls and up and down stairs when I was discharged

My first born was a frank breech. I and the doctor tried to turn her but she kept flipping back. Ended up having a c-section. Took longer to recover. And my next child had to be delivered by c-section as well.

I was told to lay on an ironing board leant up against the sofa and lay on it upside down, it worked for me :woman_shrugging:

Mine turned in plenty of time. I spent a lot of time on my hands and knees, and didn’t sit reclined, or lay on my back.

ECV was the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced. And I had 3 c-sections! The pain was so unbearable as I begged them to stop, as the doctor was pushing their hardest on my belly to try and turn the baby. I thought I was going to pass out! And no matter how many times I begged them to stop, but they didnt!!! DO NOT do it! And the “flip” was unsuccessful! The c-section recovery was painful, truth be told, but nowhere as near painful as the ECV! But within a few days, I was feeling alot better after my first c-section. I can’t say that ECV is the same for everyone, nor c-sections. All 3 of my c-sections were different. The 1st was painful, the 2nd was not painful, and the 3rd was painful. I’ve had many surgeries and medical procedures in my life, and have a high tolerance to pain. But anyway, those were my experiences with ECV and c-sections.

You shouldn’t be trying to turn a baby without doctor guidance and supervision. A lot of bad things can happen. Also, babies can turn literally up until birth so don’t worry.

4 Likes

I had a emergency c section. My recovery after living hospital was a breeze

Scheduled c sections are better than emergency c sections. I had an emergency c section and it was really bad for a couple weeks. My friend with her first had a emergency c section and the second was a planned, she said it wasn’t so bad the second time because her body wasn’t in labor for days before hand.

Just have it breach naturally i did 30 years ago…and i wzs fine

1 Like

they tried ECV with my first baby . They had 3 or 4 nurses in there and the doctor all pushing on my belly for 30+ minutes and it was the WORST thing I ever felt before. Baby was stretching so she did not move at all !!! It was worse than labor for me at least.

So I was able to turn my son into the right position and still had a c section as he did not want to come. 3 weeks past due… I was on my own, single mom. Get a good brace for your belly. Do not just sit around. My recliner was my best friend, I slept in it, made getting up easier. After the procedure take gas x. Trust me on this, they fill your abdomen with gas and it travels into your shoulders. This was the craziest pain ever. Other than that, I was fine and that includes my surgery to recluse because I ripped my stitches.

My son was breech at 38 weeks, then flipped by the next appointment.

They said they would have to do it if my baby didnt turn, couple days before delivery she turned on her own. Years later she still a bit honory😀

My baby was breach and the doctor put a “balloon” inside me and it helped her get turned around

If you have a C-section- try to walk as much as possible - otherwise your surgery site will hurt. If you do that then the recovery should be a breeze at least my recovery was like that - every woman’s body is different. :heart:

When I had to get my to flip cause at the last few weeks she went breatch I had to lay on an ironing board 6 to 8 times a day upside down the gravity from that pulls the baby to turn it’s uncomfortable but so worth it always have help when doing so it toatly worked

I also ended up having my second baby at home and she came out breatch

I have had 2 c-sections first because my baby was breech. I learned with a c- section something like a girdle ( they sell one specially for c-sections that has a place for ice packs)help because it hold everything in place everytime u get up or sneeze you feel like your guts will pop out)
My second section I was up and walking within hours. My first was a little harder ( didnt know the girdle trick till like day 3. ) a section is harder no doubt but doable!

I have no idea as my first was born breech… I didn’t know until I saw feet coming out. Sure didn’t look like the birthing video.

I had my third baby turned by ECV and although it was intense it was over pretty quickly and I went on to have a normal vaginal delivery with no complications, I was told swimming can help them turn but but hard with lock down unless you have a pool, also being on all 4s with your head down bum up but that didn’t work for me lol, if Bub doesn’t turn I recommend the ECV, good luck mumma xx

I did some gentle bounces on the trampoline and it worked but got told off by my midwife :joy::joy::joy:

Sometimes they just won’t flip back!! I went from 26w to 40w with her breach! Nothing a did would make her flip :weary: 3 was an emergency c section after 3 natural births

My second one was breech… he turned on his own at 39 weeks…

I have heard that sex can help. Not sure how true it is

If you end up having a c-section, just remember to get up out of bed as quickly as you can safely. The sooner you start walking the faster you heal. Don’t pick up anything heavier than the baby for at least six weeks and don’t be too proud to accept help from family and friends who want to meet your baby. Make the wear masks and gloves, too!

Both my babies were breached. My doctor said there is so
E risk of harming the baby during the ECV and there was no guarantee it would be successful. I opted to have a c-section and recovery for me was very quick and easy. I know recovery is different for different people but for me it was just a couple of days of down time in the hospital.

Herbie Currin what did you smoke your toe with?

Why don’t you try massage?

Don’t stress too much about it
My 5th was the same I went into labor and he turned just before I gave birth

I had to go to the hospital & the c-section doctor turned the baby.They did it at the hospital in case of any problems while doing it.They used an ultra sound machine & gently pushed on my belly to turn the baby

So my first baby was breech. The Dr was confident he could turn him. He’s don’t hundreds of breeches and can turn them all. Well he tried. And it hurt like a bitch and ended up just bruising my belly. Hers why. My babys head was stuck under my ribs. Stuck stuck. Had to have a c section which I was scared. But I don’t think even if they still delivered breach vaginally that I could have delivered my baby since he was so stuck. Anyway. Had a c section. It wasn’t that bad. it was winter and there was snow on the ground is the hardest thing I had to deal with since you can’t really walk on ice but took about 5 weeks to feel back to normal. Second kid had a c section also and I was back to normal I’m about 2 weeks

Go swimming if you can and do the back crawl. Only do so if you can swim, don’t put yourself in danger.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to flip breech baby? - Mamas Uncut

YouTube different positions to make her flip! It’s not too late don’t worry!

After my c section I was bck up walking around fine after day 2 walking with little pain after day 1

1 Like

I had 2 c sections and about to have my third. Piece of cake, i was walking within 2 hours of each of them. Everyone is different but imo pain is a mind over matter thing. Good luck!

Both of my girls were breach when I was in labour. They turned around sometime during labour and I was able to have natural births.

1 Like

I had a C section and it hurt when I would have to get up or sit up to grab baby… this was my struggle. I also had a bit of hard time bending down but you just have to go slow and be patient with yourself. I was hurting for about 3 days after that it got a bit easier as time goes on.

Hey! My 3rd was breech. I went to the chiro twice a week for 4 weeks to try and help turn baby (Webster method) but no luck. She had a shorter umbilical cord so I didn’t want them to try and flip her cause I was scared it would wrap around her. I ended with a c section. Recovery definitely was it as bad as I thought it would be. My kids were 5 & 2.5 when she was born. The worst part was going from sitting to standing lol. But you can YouTube some stretching and stuff that “may” help in turning baby

I didnt have an ecv, but i have my baby repositioned and it was extremely painful. :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask::mask: never again. He needed moved for certain ultrasound pics, so i can imagine that would be painful. Csections are not that bad. Had one with my first one and have my second scheduled. Id rather have a csection and know thats when my baby is going to be born, rather then dealing with labor. I was up and moving as soon as they allowed me to.

My baby has been breech since early on and im 36 weeks tomorrow get on you hands and knees and rock back and fourth I did this for a week and he is now down and very deep into my pelvic .

If you have a section just make sure you have everything done around the house. You will want to rest and tend to baby and not move to much. Don’t over do your self. Take breaks from doing stuff. They aren’t as bad with the first one. It was my easiest to heal from and I bounced back quick. I just over did it the first week and popped it open. I had to be glued again.

My daughter was breech, went to my chiropractor and he did some maneuvering and she did flip successfully

This was literally my situation! First two were natural births. I tried everything. I did inverted laying for two weeks (20 minutes three times a day); hot and cold compresses (hold the hot towards the bottom when you want the baby’s head and the cold at the top); bouncing on a ball for 8 hours a day for two weeks, two sessions of acupuncture and the ECV procedure. None of them worked. However I do not regret trying them all so I could at least given the baby the option of coming naturally. Was scheduled for a C-section at 39 weeks. I was a nervous wreck but I am 4 weeks post partum and everything went smoothly. Csection healing is completely different than natural birth. Be sure your hubby or someone is there to help you for at least the first week. You WILL need them.

I read to put cold packs on the top part of your belly where there head is. I did it for a couple of days and he flipped. Not sure if that’s why but couldn’t hurt to try :woman_shrugging:t3:. He flipped right around 35 weeks and I had him at 37 weeks.

Certain yoga positions or schedule appointment to have doctor “turn” the baby if they think they can

Have a C-section. It’s not as bad as women say. My csect was easier than my 2nd birth. I wasn’t allowed any pain pain pills either. I took care of my 1yo alone & walked stairs

Look up spinning babies. I’ve also seen a few turn with acupuncture and moxibustion

I was c section and it wasn’t that bad. You can take care of the baby but don’t be lifting her in the car seat or heavy cleaning. Even a couple weeks after I started cleaning the house and caused bleeding. So you need to rest a while

I had an ECV done. Unfortunately he was too large. I didn’t know about spinning babies at the time and I’m not sure that it would have helped

Old fashioned remedy
Scatter loads of clothes pegs on the floor. Bend down to pick them up one at a time .
Does it work?? …did for the person who told me
Good luck

I had 3 vag an my last was a c- section for this very reason. I decided not to try an have the doctor turn him because I figured if I didn’t have this problem with my first 3 then there must be a reason why. Sure enough his cord was wrapped twice around his neck and he couldn’t turn all the way. He would always get halfway an go back. I’m now having my 5th next week with a natural delivery.

I honestly don’t have much help with a c section…But I have vagina deliveries with my first two (had to be induced for both) my third had flipped so many times and wss breech at my Dr appointment where they decided I was going to have a c section the next day for health reasons (the were going to induce me again) well the next day they were prepping me for a c section and they checked and he had flipped back around so they hurried up and induced me and I had him that day… I walked like a crazy person that night so I’m not sure if I did it or he did lol but best of luck either way mama

I was referred to the website I’ll link below by my doula and childbirth educator. You have to make sure you don’t have any issues like high blood pressure or placenta problems, but they told me to try the forward leaning inversion. Have a look, but definitely double check with your doctor to make sure whatever you decide to try is safe for you

My grandson was breech. My daughters water broke at 30 weeks and the hospital said she had to stay put there shooting for 34 weeks. However 3 days later she felt something wasn’t right and when they checked her cervix there was a pair of feet coming out. She was originally scheduled for a csection at the 34 weeks but she had an emergency one that night. He was 3lbs 3ozs. Spent 55 days in the NICU.
I’m not really sure if it’s possible to flip the baby or not.

Breech is a variation of normal. Drs just dont want to take the time in my opinion. Lots of ladies homebirth breech babes.

2 Likes

Go to a chiropractor that specializes in the Webster Method or find a doctor to perform a version. I had a version when I was 17 to flip my baby.

1 Like

My daughter was breech also but her leg was folded up,they tried to turn her by putting ky jelly on my belly and massageing my belly,didn’t work.Some say laying a board on an incline in a chair and laying that way or sleeping will cause them to turn.pray for you for good results.

My first child was breech… didn’t do one thing…when she was born her bottom came out first then they pulled out her legs then head came out last…thnk God I had no complications :blush:

My daughter was sideways and i did some yoga positions for about two weeks and by my next appointment she was head down.

My csection recovery was actually easy. Be careful trying to flip her. Certain things can cause the cord wrapped around the baby

Can I just say that breech is a variation of a “normal birth” and does not and should not mean automatic c section.

2 Likes

Breech is fine for delivery as long as its not transverse bc baby definitely won’t come out. I’d just deliver breech personally

When I was born (50)yrs ago I was breach I literally came into the world tale first and only weighed 4 lbs. when I was pregnant with my first (31)yrs ago my doctor kept telling me that I needed to go home and spread jacks all over the floor and bend over to pick them up 1 at a time a few weeks later he examined me and told me he was happy because my baby had flipped that’s when I found out that he had been breach

You might have better luck at ECV. I was told it would be very risky as it was my first baby and there wasn’t much play with my uterus. But I was also advised if attempted we could rupture my placenta and still end up in section. I opted for a scheduled C-section and it went sooo smooth.

My 3rd pregnancy my son was a frank breech… I had an ECV and ended up with a cord prolapse and had to have an emergency c section… That was just my experience but pretty scary… It is one on the risks of an ECV…

1 Like