I Am 37 Weeks Pregnant and Bleeding with Clots, but Doctors Sent Me Home: Advice?

QUESTION:

"So I’m 37 weeks pregnant. I went to the bathroom earlier, and I was bleeding with some blood clots. I went to the hospital as my lower back was cramping on and off.

The doctor and nurse I had were awful and contradicting. The doctor was upset that no one had checked to see if I was dilated but yet didn’t check me himself. The nurse was flirting with my boyfriend the whole time and told me to go home, take a hot bath.

The doctor said it is my mucous plug and sent me home. My back is still hurting a lot every few min on, then a few min off. Anyone have this happen or advice? I see my OB on Tuesday."

RELATED QUESTION: I am 7 weeks pregnant and started spotting: Advice?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“Go back to the hospital!!! I just lost my baby at 34 weeks that could have been prevented if I had followed my first mind. Go back.”

“I lost a baby at full term that could have been prevented if the hospital I was at had listened to me !! Please go back and demand to be checked over properly, nothing is more important than that precious cargo you are carrying.”

“As pretty much everyone said, go to a different hospital. That is NOT something to mess around with. Refuse to leave until you feel satisfied with what was done.”

“Honestly it sounds like your in labor! That is so crazy no one checked you and that they told you to take a bath! I delivered my daughter at 37 weeks and this is exactly what it was like! I would say go to a different hospital or go back to that one and request different people. Also, call your OB. They should have done that right when you got there. I don’t know where you went but they definitely dropped the ball.”

“Question: where is your OB in all of this? That should be the first call and the call after you leave. Not to mention the ER doc should be calling your OB. You should be sent to labor and delivery for monitoring. If you’re bleeding do not take a bath. Where the hell did you go???!?!”

“Hospital, now! Different one if possible. Something is happening, sounds like you’re having back labor, put your foot down, turn into mama bear, and don’t back down.”

“Go back or 2 a different one, the sent my sister home twice and she ended up having her baby on the bathroom floor. Thankfully they were all okay but it could have been much different Better to be safe.”

“Go to another hospital!! Something could be something wrong, that doctor is wrong not to check everything.”

“They most probably don’t want you there for COVID reasons, but sounds like you need to get advice go back or to another hospital (if local to you) or call 911. Please don’t leave it to go with your heart. Hope you and your baby both stay safe. Good luck.”

“Go to another hospital. I let the hospital send me home twice with my 4th bleeding because I’m too passive. Turns out my placenta had torn loose and he was restricted oxygen for 3 weeks before I was induced in an emergency when they found it.”

“Sounds like back labor. I felt like I had to poop but couldn’t then contractions came and went. Lost mucus plug a day or two before… some women don’t until they deliver. You very well might be having that baby! Good luck.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

62 Likes

I havent had this happen but that sounds like it could be contractions. If you are very concerned I would consider getting a second opinion at another hospital or go to your regular obgyn if possible. I would def call your obgyn and tell them what is going on

5 Likes

Sounds like early stage labour

6 Likes

Maybe call the ob see if you get in earlier.

1 Like

Ur in labour right now

5 Likes

You need to go back to the hospital sweet, that’s not right that, go back soon as you can, refuse to move until your checked and have heard baby’s heartbeat :heart:

21 Likes

Get back to the hospital asap. It could be the placenta might be detaching which is what happened to me. (I was 33 weeks at the time)

4 Likes

Go back to the hospital x listen to your gut xx and refuse to leave .

4 Likes

I had back labor. Tell your dr

1 Like

Please call your ob and be seen by either the office or ER. You and the baby need checked.

1 Like

I’ve had bleed before my labour they keep me in to monitor me then was in labour hour’s after I would go back to the hospital just to be sure and that your unborn baby is fine dont let them fob u off ask questions if your not sure don’t let them make u feel uncomfortable

I would go straight back up the hospital they did the same thing to me with my 4th child & I refused to leave & not even 3 hrs later I had the baby

You need to return and demand to be checked or go to a different hospital , it sounds like you are in early labor ,but you need to be checked and the baby needs to be monitored.

5 Likes

Take care of you and your baby. Call dr. Go to hospital! Stand your ground. Fight for you and your baby!!!

2 Likes

Go to hospital, sounds like ur in labor.

1 Like

Please seek second opinion as soon as possible

1 Like

Go to a different hospital and call your OB asap.
“Bloody show” is not a heavy flow with clots.
It looks like it’s mixed with mucus.

1 Like

Is this a joke? Get to a dr. And leave your partner at home he is clearly no help. You are at risk right now, get going… Wtf.

2 Likes

Go to hospital and refuse to leave until they have checked you and your baby

Head to the ER and refuse to see that doc and nurse. Demand a new doctor and nurse

The doctor said it is your mucus plug? Then why did he send you home? Dear, you’re already in labor.

Your in labor. Go to emergency room now

You’re in labor… Contractions and back pain and bleeding yup… Count your contractions or use a contraction timer app… that help guide me for when I needed to go to the hospital

Sounds like your in labor. Go to the ER if need be

Sounds like you’re very much in labour. Mother of 3 here

You’re full term so don’t panic. Call your doctor.

It may be slow but it may come quick. Get back to the hospital

Sounds like labour .

Get your butt to the hospital!! What you’re describing could be dangerous. The baby should be monitored as well

1 Like

Ur in labour love get back to the hospital

Why would u even go to social media about it take your precious butt back to the hospital and get ready to deliver your baby

1 Like

Please let us know what happens to you :pray:

1 Like

Back labor… Your probably in early labor

It’s likely to do that for a few hours but could come on really quickly! If you’re not close to your hospital, I’d go now.

Is this your first? Go back. Its hard to tell what it feels like if its your first. But everything your saying either could be labor or Braxton hicks. But if no one checked to see if you’re dilated you could go home and have a home birth. I’d demand to be checked properly and call you ob/gyn so they can call ahead.

3 Likes

Definitely don’t wait go back and don’t leave till you know you and your baby are fine

2 Likes

Get to hospital pet x

You are in lanour hun. Count between contractions n go back to hospital. You n bubs need to be safe

This happened to me i was sent home and that night i went into labour the doctor told me it coud have been caused by the way baby had moved this was my 4th baby and she was back to back which i hadnt had before either good luck xx

Call your OBGYN and have them meet you at the hospital ASAP.

3 Likes

Go back to the hospital, I wouldn’t of went home!

1 Like

Call your ob doctor and get back to ER.

Back Labour is a real thing you should ring the car doctor or go back to the hospital, honestly they should have checked you properly

2 Likes

Get straight to Hospital you could have something wrong with your placenta dont take no for a answer x

I would go to a diffrent hospital but definitely you need to go to hospital

1 Like

Go back if your not happy and if you get sent home go back until your happy if t I stayed in for a week with clotting I was given steroids i was told I wouldn’t go into labour by the Friday some one actually internally examined me I was 5 cm dilated and had a baby four months early x

Go to a different hospital. My in law had a similar experience and lost the baby days later.

I would recommend that you go back ASAP! Have them put a monitor on the baby. Don’t take NO for an answer!!! You and the baby could be at risk!

It sounds like you are in labor… You need to go back to the hospital…

2 Likes

Yes please please go right back. And never take a hot bath when you’re pregnant!

2 Likes

Call your ob
They always have after hour nurse and doctors on call

Call your On gun. That is no way normal and could put you and your unborn child at risk

Go back and second opinion and demand you want to be seen x

Go to another hospital or even the same one and insist on being tested. What is the matter with the Dr.??!

Go to a different hospital

It could be ur plug … home bath n walk around pains should get stronger n go back later, unless u want a second opinion? Good luck hun :+1:

1 Like

If it’s an option in your town … go somewhere else

I’m pretty sure that’s your plug but if these doctors treated me this poorly, I’d go elsewhere to give birth.

Please go to hospital. I don’t want to scare you but it is better to get answers NOW.

1 Like

You should have a 24hr nurse line with you OB, call it.

Go back to hospital ASAP .have them put the heart monitor on baby.
And do not have a bath

Why are you not contacting your own OB? My OB says if I can’t get a hold of him it’s better to go straight to the L&D department instead of the ER and they will get ahold of him.

Call your OB and tell them you think you’re in labor. 37 weeks is considered full term. I honestly can’t believe they sent you home with any kind of bleeding without giving you an ultrasound and checking your cervix. It depends on how much you’re bleeding, but if it bright red and similar to a period flow, you could be experiencing placental abruption which puts baby’s life at serious risk and possibly yours as well.

5 Likes

But again is deir one one hospital in ur country ,if the situation z dat bad go to another hospital

Call your OB doctor and let them know directly what is going on. Did they put you on a monitor to see how far your contractions are apart and do you know if your water has broken? Most likely it is your mucous plug. Has the bleeding stopped? Rest and time your contractions. Check for fetal movement and if you dont feel it moving as usual that would be a cause for concern. Call your ob/gyn and Express your concerns. Keep track of the bleeding and take pictures with your phone. Did you make it the ob unit or just the ER?

Mother of six here. Clots!, go back to hospital doesn’t sound right. A show is usually not what you described. I had a back labour with my forth sounds like labour to me. Negligence if they didn’t check you. Could be placenta coming away not good if that’s the case. Demand they check you NOW.

Yes it’s called back labour. I had that with my second child.

That is disgusting treatment and I would lay a complaint about that nurse. Where are her professional standards? Your baby and your safety is what she should be checking out not your boyfriend! Please please get to someone else really soon

Call your OB or nurse hotline. If you have any doubts go back to hospital.

1 Like

It COULD be your plug but i would definitely get a second opinion. I didn’t have that happen with mine nor did anyone else i know on a personal level. Also i would rhink about going to another hospital if possible it is not ok for them to treat you that way.

I’ve had four children, I think you are in early labor. Im sorry to hear how awful the whole hospital situation. They never should have made you feel like this.Shame in them for their lack of compassion!

1 Like

Don’t take a bath . Is this your first baby ?

1 Like

That is how i knew i was in labour. With the first one baby was born 8hrs later. 2nd baby was born 6hrs later and i was 37 weeks pregnant

Go to another hospital

1 Like

Probably mucus plug that happened to me with my second. I went into labor 3 hrs later then 2 hrs later my daughter was born. Thank goodness I had a midwife and gave birth at a home/Birthing center. No drugs! All natural she was a healthy 9lb 2oz baby. Go to a different hospital if that hospital is a POS! Your life and your baby’s life are important!

i dont understand how some women just go bck home with pains and bleeding in this stage of pregnancy… i really wonder! i hve pain i wud never move from hospital until making myself sure my baby is alright !!! go back to hospital right now !!! get checked nd make sure your baby is fine do not be sooo irresponsible…

Go back to hospital I had a similar experience with my son and it was the mucus plug. My doc kept me in hospital he said due to the risk of infection. Best to be cautious.

Wow I hope you went to another hospital after that and I hope you took legal action against those fuckers

I wound go back for second opinion any update

Nope go back sweetie x x

you should go to the hospital

Go back or honestly, go to another hospital!

6 Likes

You need to go to another hospital!

3 Likes

Go to another hospital immediately!!!

6 Likes

Go back or go to another hospital ASAP!

1 Like

Go back to the hospital

Go to another hospital. I let the hospital send me home twice with my 4th bleeding because I’m too passive. Turns out my placenta had torn loose and he was restricted oxygen for 3 weeks before I was induced in emergency when they found it.

1 Like

I agree go to another hospital!

2 Likes

Call your ob tell them. go to a diffrent hospital…

2 Likes

Um I would goto another hospital for sure .

1 Like

Definitely call your OB

1 Like

Go back or 2 a different one, the sent my sister home twice and she ended up having her baby on the bathroom floor. Thankfully they were all okay but it could have been much different Better to be safe xx

1 Like

Seriously go back, there could be something happening with your placenta! And say I’m not leaving until everything is investigated and they give you a reason for bleeding ect.

5 Likes

Go to another hospital

1 Like

Go to a different hospital

1 Like

As pretty much everyone said, go to a different hospital. That is NOT something to mess around with. Refuse to leave until you feel satisfied with what was done.

5 Likes

Go to another hospital!! Something could be something wrong, that doctor is wrong not to check everything.

2 Likes

Go to the hospital pet. Now don’t let them send you home good luck. Hun

Go to a different hospital. tell them you want to be checked over!! honestly Better safe than sorry!!!

2 Likes

Go back. I only had back pain with both my labours