I am LIVID that my mom put whiskey on my daughters gums: Advice?

Get over it it works without hurting child

2 Likes

I guess this is safe right? Because grandma did it?

9 Likes

How about this? Is this still ok then? Grandma did this too. You gonna do this to your baby?

8 Likes

My father in law did it to my son as well . I was upset at first but hey it worked so yea !!

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter what people in the olden days. If she doesn’t want her mom doing it then she shouldn’t be doing it. To the OP if ur mom refuses to stop then do not let her watch ur daughter or be any where near her until she learns to respect ur boundaries. It is against the law to give any amount of alcohol to a child so if she refuses to stop I would call the cops on her

13 Likes

I did that for all 3 of my kids when they were teething, and when my granddaughter was teething my son asked where the whiskey was for her :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

Yea you are wrong… it was probably like a drop or two. She is right that is what they used all the time years ago and it’s not hurting anyone

3 Likes

“it was safe back in the day”

3 Likes

Over reacted she did it to you it calmed the child right it’s better the numbing agents

2 Likes

Yes you’re wrong!! Your baby didn’t drink the whiskey. Your mom gave her relief and made her poor gums feel better. She did not hurt your child. Whisky is natural. Orajel is full of chemicals and dyes.

16 Likes

Totally overreacting. You act like she got your baby drunk. It’s literally rubbing it on the gums not making her take a shot.

7 Likes

Mom should have ran it by you first.

6 Likes

That’s a tough one, I understand your reaction and situation and it is valid, but I also understand your moms too. Explain to her that while that may have worked back then, it’s not ok nor appropriate now, and set the boundaries now of what is and isn’t ok if she’s watching your baby. If she doesn’t comply or respect this than that may be a problem and you will need to find someone else to watch your child.

5 Likes

She :100: should have asked you first. I would’ve flipped sh!t too! Your baby your choice. And parents did lots of sh!t in the “older” days that were not okay. Some parents still do (clearly).

She needs to respect your boundaries but at the same time I feel you overreacted by throwing a fit.

3 Likes

God know wonder our generation is such alcoholics ha ha we had no hope :rofl::grimacing::grimacing:

10 Likes

Girl that’s the best thing for them!!! I have a 21-17-14 and 22 month old. Used on all. You stick your finger in it 3-4 times rub on gums. If you like whiskey take the rest for yourself . Lol

6 Likes

Look, I understand being upset, I probably wouldn’t like it either. It’s an old school trick and to my knowledge, it doesn’t harm them as they’re just wetting their finger with it and rubbing their gums. I’d let this one go.

8 Likes

Its NOT poison. She didn’t bottle feed it. Rubbed on gums. And baby is not in pain miserable for hours. You should be thankful. And if you would rather a baby be tortured in pain. Maybe you should rethink a few things. Apologize to your mom. Now. Sincerely. Be thankful you have a her.
THIS is better than than the garbage new moms are letting babies be injected with and feeding that is doing permanent real damage today. Do your baby a favor. STOP listening and start researching facts. Not propaganda.

15 Likes

Did it to mine. It really isn’t harmful. It is not enough to cause any more harm than some cough syrups or other meds with a minute amount of alcohol in them.

4 Likes

Definitely over reacting I would apologize to your mother you should know better your baby is ok and so is all of her children would you have rather the poor baby screaming in pain all day

5 Likes

Ok… I get being upset… but this was what she knew to do and while ideally she should have asked you, the amount of harm it could have done is miniscule. There is more alcohol in listerine and vanilla extract. It is a tiny drop, rubbed on the gums. Most of us who were born in the 70’s and 80’s had this done. My parents used old grandaddy whiskey…
So from here on out, just provide whoever is caring for your child with all the things that they may need. If you want her to used somethings specific send it over. Or make suggestions- baby washcloths that have been frozen are great for babies to chew on. Those mesh feeders with frozen fruit if baby is old enough.
I am guessing baby was crying like crazy and she used what she had available to help get baby comfortable.

8 Likes

I think you have a right to be upset because that’s your child.

But I also don’t think your mom deserved to be gone off on. My grandmother has always told me the same thing when it comes to a teething baby. Dip your finger in some whiskey and rub it on the gums. It helps with teething.

It’s not like she put it in her bottle and had her taking shots.

4 Likes

Ummm if you give your child Tylenol or Motrin or orajel, you really need to research the ingredients and how safe they truly are. Then look at whiskey and the fact that it is safer than any of that. By FAR. Lol. She didn’t put it in the baby’s bottle … just used it to help numb her gums. You’re definitely overreacting and this is one of the “back in the day” things that they definitely did right.

17 Likes

Calm down for goodness sake, she is the baby’s grandmother! Do you really think she would do anything to hurt grand baby?

5 Likes

No mama you are not in the wrong. You are the mother and she should have asked you. Grr i can not stand someone thinking they can do anything without talking to the parent first. No i would have flipped my top too. You’re not wrong, your mom is.

3 Likes

As long as she didn’t make her take shots she’ll be ok !

4 Likes

I remember my girl’s teething stage. It’s one of those things as a parent I would have done anything recommend to comfort them. They were miserable, and as a mother, the worst feeling in the world is seeing your child in pain & not being able to help. Your baby was fine when you picked her up. She wasn’t passed out drunk lol, she was finally able to relax because she was no longer in pain. Your mom did what she had to do to comfort her. You have to know deep down you overreacted, and your mother would Never do Anything to harm her grandchild. If you don’t like her technique, then find something else that works just as good and ask your mom to use if she’s ever in that situation again. But you should probably apologize to her. Although you didn’t approve, she simply did something she knew would work. If you had told her not to ahead of time, it would be a different story.

No, you are not wrong! The same people rubbing whiskey on their baby’s gums are the same people who give their 3-year-old a taste of beer. It’s trashy and it undermines how serious alcoholism is in our country. Anyone who’s not a dumbass would’ve given her a frozen rag to chew on, a teether, or a bottle nipple, there are a million things she could’ve given her other than alcohol or even drugs

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: She literally helped your child in the same way she helped you… you wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for her. :woman_facepalming: :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My mom had 7 kids, and did this to all of us. We turned out just fine lol

I feel like your over reacting. As long as she didn’t give her a few shots of whisky the baby is perfectly fine. :ok_hand: better then alot of them medicines for children now a days I agree with your mother.

5 Likes

Every generation has different tips/ tricks they used. I never did this but know moms who did. I would just explain to her you prefer not to do that there are other things to use now. She was doing what she thought was best.

WAYYYYY over reacting! Get a grip, unless she was making rounds of shots, it’s totally fine, and common. Try having a respectful conversation rather than acting worse than the child, especially towards your mother!

1 Like

As a grandmother myself if you don’t like my soothing method find another babysitter case closed

11 Likes

Chill. You’re acting like a tantrum taking toddler.

So you are a new mom
Of course you know more than the vet mom
How dare she make that baby stop crying and happy while she baby sits for free
You should completely go off on her
Don’t talk about it just go off like a child… With a child.

6 Likes

Old remedies that work. She probably did not even think about needing to ask it was just something people did to help the kids

1 Like

My grandma told me to do this with my first. Just a drop in the gums and rub it in. I thought NOPE, no way. After several sleepless nights, I gave in. Worked like a charm in seconds and we finally got some sleep. You better believe I used that little drop of whiskey tip with the other 5 when the time came.

3 Likes

Yes you way overreacted… mom should have asked you first, but whiskey on the gums is a long time remedy and works well…

Yup you’re overreacting in my opinion

4 Likes

I’ve done this with my kids my mom did with us my grandparents did with them. It’s been around forever. You literally put the whiskey on your finger and rub their gums. It’s not near enough to harm them. Just numb the mouth. And probably a lot more effective and safe then teething tabs and gels!!!

4 Likes

My mom did that with us. Many times even once we were older she’d rub whisky along our gums if we had a toothache and then we’d go to school.

2 Likes

Calm down and get the f*** over it. It is actually. It does seem to help my grandmother did the same thing

4 Likes

It was always done back in the day. Just ask her nicely not to do it again as you don’t like it :woman_shrugging: and calm down.

2 Likes

Overreact much? Whiskey/Rum used for hundreds of years this this

4 Likes

You’re overreacting. Sorry but it’s an old trick that works

4 Likes

It’s what they use to do back when. My, dad had to me drink a little rye whiskey for my sors throats

Get a grip. She has more experience than u raised u but now u dare to question her tactics??

3 Likes

It worked and baby was happy, quit freaking out! Don’t leave her with your Mom if you Don trust her judgment. Hire a babysitter. Your Mom was doing what she was probably taught by her Mother. I’ve did the same thing before and I raised 2 beautiful and brilliant daughters!

4 Likes

Yeah overreacting. She was just trying to help and it’s just what she knows, communicate with people! Don’t just go off and be rude, she meant no harm

So her putting your baby out of pain makes you mad? Like i had this done as a child works better then orajel for babies

7 Likes

From a pharmacist perspective, it works!

7 Likes

It’s not like she poured her a stiff drink dannnng… would u rather ur child cry in pain for hours ?

2 Likes

Yes, some. Old ways of doing things are better than new ones.

5 Likes

I did this to all my kids and I’m Generation X it’s doesn’t get the little ones drunk or even buzzed it numbs the gums it’s better than what ingredients are in the teething gels

7 Likes

Maybe I’m alone in thinking this but you’re not wrong for being upset. You are wrong for going off though. It has been a thing that’s been done forever but I understand being upset because she didn’t ask you first and that’s okay to be upset about. But instead of getting bent you could have just sternly stated that you would appreciate it if she asked before doing such things.

3 Likes

You knew she was teething and didn’t get what she needed before dropping her off? Or give instructions what to do if it got bad? It’s trick that been done lots and was minuscule. Your are still alive. The commenter before is right check your facts. I understand not being happy about but give whoever is babysitting the right stuff to properly take care of your little one, the way you want them to. Exemple freeze your breast milk or formula into small ice chips put it those soother with holes. Oralgel for little one ps some have alcohol. Baby Tylenol or mortrin. The mortrin or Advil is better for teeth because it helps inflammation. There teething necklaces made out of amber seems to help. There is also teething tablets from the pharmacy but look up it’s ingredients. I would apologize to your mother and explain why you don’t think it’s acceptable to do so talk about alternatives to use next time. Best of luck

5 Likes

You literally said she was calm when you got there. I would just ask her not to do it again. Although, many parents have put alcohol on kids gums and they survived. So, she’ll be fine. Have you been giving her teeth or gum numbing medicine and Tylenol? If whiskey helped then Tylenol and some tooth and gum numbing medicine should work great.

3 Likes

Your mom raised you and I’m 100% sure she did the same to you and you seem to turn out ok if you don’t trust your own mother who the hell you gonna trust

3 Likes

This is the thing. I get your upset. I was super angry when my MIL gave my exclusively breast fed baby formula. He screamed all night and had a terrible tummy ache. But this is a tried and true remedy. A drop of whiskey is less harmful than really anything else she could have done or given baby. Liquor is an anesthetic and a disinfectant. I’m sorry your upset. Maybe she could ha e consulted you. Maybe, like you, she was trying to comfort that baby like a mother or grandmother does.

4 Likes

Well I don’t know of course back in our day it did work, my sister wouldn’t take her bottle when she was tiny and my mother was at her wits end with her constantly crying so grandma put a tiny dribble of whiskey in the milk and bloody hell she drank it know problem, so I don’t recall if it was a regular but she took her bottle regularly after that…

Calm down it’s not like she let the baby drink it straight out of the bottle. She just put a little bit on baby’s gums to get her out of pain. So you want your child in pain? 

4 Likes

It’s an old school method to relieve teething pain

6 Likes

Your child was in pain and your mom made the pain stop using a method that has worked for generations. How dare she……

14 Likes

I would literally be asking for some whiskey to take home with me if that’s what worked.

12 Likes

Old home remedy .it.s way better than doc advice now days

7 Likes

You should just ask her not to do that again if you feel uncomfortable with it. It’s not like she poured a glass for each of them and made a toast. It’s just a drop. Again, if you don’t like it, tell her not to do it and that’s that. No need to be rude. She did calm your kid and ease the pain. Also, it has a lot less side effects than teething creams and meds.

I think the huge problem here is someone making decisions like this without consulting the actual parent.
Our parents did the same thing, and my mom jokingly suggested it once when my littles was teething. I was appalled, and so glad she didn’t do it.
Yes we survived but that’s not the point. You have every right to dictate the care your child receives.
I would talk with your mom as an adult and come up with a better plan. Use your words and not your anger. I’m sure your mom was just trying to help.

7 Likes

I did that with both my children 50 plus years ago. Just rubbed a bit on the gums.

6 Likes

I don’t see the big deal. Old timers used to do stuff like this all the time, and they survived. You said she was calm when you got there so you should be happy. Apparently she knows what she’s doing.

4 Likes

Our old school dentist recommended this to us …. We finally did it bc nothing else natural worked

Best decision ever he stopped hurting immediately… wish I would of did this with my first child too

:woman_shrugging:t2:

It’s literally the best teething remedy you can use

4 Likes

I was on a camping trip and burnt the entire roof of my mouth with a marshmallow. I used it as mouth wash because that’s all I had with us at the time to treat it. I kid you not, it took the pain away immediately. A lot of remedies they used to use work better than putting the crap they make now in their little mouths. Chill out. You said yourself that she was calm. I think you owe your mother an apology. You clearly trusted her enough to watch her in the first place.

5 Likes

My grandparents put whiskey on their babies gums when they were teething. My parents did it for their kids and we have done it to our kids. It provides much needed relief to the teething babies. It’s not enough alcohol to hurt your child.

6 Likes

If it worked why even bother, yourself said that she’s been grumpy lately
Why you want her to be in pain

4 Likes

Aw hell naw. I would tell her she need to leave that old generation shit where it belongs to she can’t be trusted with the baby anymore.

No. You’re not wrong. Whether it “works” or not. It’s not her place to make that decision. If anyone is doing ANYTHING to YOUR baby. They need to consult you first. Mother or not she’s not entitled to do whatever she wants to your kid.

7 Likes

You’re mad your mom made your baby not be in pain? Weird flex but ok.

8 Likes

It’s ok we did it to our kids

3 Likes

You are wrong to be upset.This is an old remedy and she probably did it to you.It probably relieved the discomfort.

3 Likes

Naw I’d be extremely pissed I seriously can’t stand when the older generation tryies to parent our children like they were parented it’s really unacceptable and disrespectful that is not your mother’s child it is your child people need to respect your wishes and not question you or try to change your mind and some in of these comments are ridiculous no exscuse for this behind

6 Likes

They used to do this in my family, never hurt any of us!

6 Likes

It only takes a “scant” amount of the whiskey. I didn’t do it, but if teething would have gotten worse or anbesol would not have worked, I would have used it

3 Likes

It was a very common remedy for teething pain. I think you may have overreacted and I think your mom meant well but do tell your mom you don’t approve and would like to be consulted before your mom medicates your child in the future.

6 Likes

Depends if u trust ur mom not to hurt ur kid if u trust her not to over do it but more than likely all she did was help ur kid not to hurt but she should have let u know

Most of our parents did it to us & I’ve heard it works. She probably just thought she was helping. I would just tell her calmly you arent comfortable with it & im sure it won’t happen again.

2 Likes

Whiskey on the gums is safer than orajel … per my ped.

14 Likes

I don’t care what people used to do back in the day. I would be livid. I feel like that’s something I would want to talk about before it’s being done. Before my mom started watching my daughter I laid out some ground rules and they have never had an issue. I would just ask for it not to happen again.

3 Likes

Did it work? Seems like it did
It won’t even affect your daughter other than pain relief. Not like she was doing shots with her. :woman_shrugging: Lighten up a little mama. Your mom raised you and you survived… I’m sure she can be trusted with your child.

7 Likes

My son is 13. When he was a baby, my landlord did it to him. Worked like a charm.

However…she should have talked to you first. I do agree with that.

But it doesn’t hurt them. It helps them

1 Like

Yes, it didn’t kill you did it? I think all of us “old fashioned” moms used it on our kids gums. The baby was in a good mood because her gums didn’t hurt. Don’t be such a stick in the mud. Mother knows best.

3 Likes

It’s no different than putting a drug from the store on the gums to numb it. She didn’t put it in the baby bottle to drink just rubbed a small amount on the gums. No difference. It’s worked for hundreds of years.

7 Likes

It’s safer than most of the chemical filled orajel people use. Give your mom some grace. I’ve done it with all my kids and it works great! They are all happy and healthy!

6 Likes

Would do the same as what ambusol does no? Tiny drop on the finger rubbed around the gums. Not a shot of whisky literally a drop isn’t going to cause any harm whatsoever and it was a 1 off its not a daily thing its happened once. I wouldn’t be upset I would just ask them not to do it again because you don’t feel comfortable with that method and next time will provide her with ambusol or whatever teething thing you want to use.

Old remedy. My parents done it and me and my two sisters have done it with ours. It’s just a bit on the finger. Not enough to have the baby drunk or a lot to swallow if that’s your concern. I’d rather have whiskey on my child’s gums than the stuff out there they make with all the junk in them. She comforted your baby. She gave her relief. She could have let her stay miserable.

4 Likes

Yeah no I’d be pissed. Idk if I’d “of gone off.” But definitely telling her not to do it again

2 Likes

I did it to all my kids😂 its better than the chemical stuff, and it works. my kids are all fine

1 Like

That’s old school right there

4 Likes

Its safer than any medicine you’ll ever give your kid and that Coles straight from every pediatrician I’ve seen. She most likely DIPPED her finger in it and rubbed the gums. She didn’t give the baby a shot of whiskey :roll_eyes:

Should she have maybe asked, yeah. But your baby isn’t going to get sick. The baby isn’t going to get drunk. The baby isn’t going to be poisoned.

I sure hope you apologize to your mom for HELPING and giving your kid some relief.

4 Likes

From a different time! Before I had our first child I joked with the doctor that my husband had said he’d put whiskey on the babes dummy if they were a crier! Docs answer was no use brandy it has,ore calories we used it all the time when I was an intern for unsettled babes in the nursery!

2 Likes