I'm feeling out of depth with my 7 year old, help?

Oh hell no you talk like that to me, the last thing you’d be getting is your iPad. You’d be getting a nice paperback book and a list of chores to do and you’d likely not see the iPad for quite sometime. She’s a child and you’re the adult, under zero circumstances is she the one to tell you what to do, sounds like she knows you’ll just give in eventually. Time to lay down the law.

Nope thats when I go and take it and break it in front of her.

I would take the IPad away until she shows some respect and manners. JMO

No advice, but in the same boat with my 7yo. You’re not alone!! Hope you find an answer, I’ll be scrolling through and hope to find one myself. Good luck!

Wait? She spoke to you like that and she was still allowed her I pad? You’re allowing her to walk all over you which is why she does.

Has anything changed in your household or family that could be causing her stress? Does mental illness or anger issues run in the family? Have you considered disorders like ADHD or autism? Have you talked to the pediatrician? Have you maybe sat her down and talked about something that may be bothering her without you even knowing? Sadly with kids there’s a wide variety of things that may be happening that could even seem small to us adults but could be huge in her world

You’re the parent. Take away electronics until she can earn them back with good behavior.
When she yells at you send her to a timeout chair (1 minute for every year she is). If she doesn’t listen you just reinforce what you said. She may end up with no electronics for a month, so be it. I also would get her into the doctor to see if she has some serious issues and may need medication if so diagnosed.

I would try to not argue… my 2 yo will get angry and liters demand and scream for something. I usually do 1 of 2 things.

1. Stop what I’m doing and give him a hug. I’ll rub his back then I get eye to eye, ask him
    To look at me and we say. “ Don’t yell at mommy”
  2. I ask for his hands and we practice taking deep breaths.

I know he is just 2 but I talk to him like an adult ( I understand he may only understand 40-50% of what I say) but I also say you have two hands and two legs you can pick it up or that is not how we ask, only being kind/nice/sweet will work. If it’s a show on his tablet I remove the tablet until he has calmed down and asks nicely. I always say “thank you for asking nicely” It’s not always an easy process but I’m consistent. Is she the only child or do you have a baby too?

Really, no iPad, and where does she hear people talking like this to each other.

Remove iPad for a week. Until she can start respecting you & talking in a respectful way. She can earn it back.

Momma and dad need to read Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend and sounds like screen time needs to be more limited.

Sounds like all the things that are not necessities need to be taken away until she learns how to speak to you

I have a 8 year old and a 6 year old that acts the same way any advice is greatly appreciated

Who are her friends? I’ve had similar experiences with my girls and it was how certain girls treated their mom and got away with it. It’s the pike and backup stage. They need to push boundaries a bit to understand them. But they are also watching how everyone reacts to different reactions.

She only does what you allow. & will continue to do so until you no longer allow it.

Sounds like time for some discipline. Like grounding without a single thing except books. No electronics, no friends, nothing. My 3 year old tries that, and like I have raised him from the start, if he is capable of doing something for himself such as grab a toy he wants or grab a snack that is within his reach, then I don’t do it for him. Either throw the dang thing away to show that unless she respects you as a parent and learns she can’t act that way she doesn’t deserve something as nice as an iPad, or put it up until her behavior changes.

Stand your ground… be firm and unwavering . Be the adult … we cannot let them control …

ODD? Take her to the psychologist. Needs an evaluation.

I’d get her I Pad…and she wouldn’t see it for about 5 hours! Or until her attitude straightened out! Aw hell no! Correct it now while you can.

Well for starters …. Why does your 7 year old have an iPad ? There’s your first problem. And after all that …… you still allowed her to have it?!

My 10 year old and my 7 year old do not have electronics that they call their own. Our Xbox belongs to my boyfriend, the switch belongs to the both of us and they only play it if we allow them which is very minimal and our phones are our phones. The kids do not get to play on them. Kids don’t need screens and this is an obvious reason as to why. Tell her to grab a stick and go play outside like it’s 1990

She is 7 …she don’t even need a ipad. These kids are so lazy these day. Puzzles…books…crayons …coloring books…etc…how I wish my grandkids could grow up in the world I did…

You need control if she’s bad the she doesn’t get it I have to do this with my grandson

You gotta set some boundaries and not spoil her all the time. Teach her to do things for herself. Give her a good ol swat on the ass and into time out. Your the parent not her. You let her get to this point by not setting rules and boundaries. My daddy woulda whooped my ass if I dare spoke back. My father taught me to respect my elders. You need to do the same otherwise it’s gunna get worse and when she becomes a teen oh hell your real doomed then if u don’t nip this in the ass now.

Sounds like you need to start by setting some basic boundaries

5 Likes

It’s obvious that you don’t believe in spanking. At the very least you should have taken the iPad and anything else she enjoys for a few weeks.

What is she watching on her iPad? That could be playing a big part in her changed behavior as well.
There is this channel on YouTube with a girl named coco being very mean and nasty. She’s an adult who acts a like on her channel. My 5 year old bonus baby was watching this and that is where he changed behavior started to come from. After finding out she was watching this and we put a stop to it her attitude changed for the better.

Ignore her and watch what tv programs they watch, my son and grandson started watching a lot of Disney shows and Nickelodeon shows like Henry Danger etc and the way they talk to their parents is ridiculous, as well as you tube and tik tok streams as soon as we cut those out their attitudes changed

Break yo foot off in her ass !!!.. jk jk😅 understand it’s learned behavior kids do what they see. Also talk to her. Ask her why she feels the need to yell to get her point across ??

My momma would have slapped the taste out of my mouth if I EVER spoke to her like that.
Consistency is key. You can ground her, spank her, or any form of discipline that you use, but it WILL NOT stick if you are not consistent with it.

If you want it right this second, go get it yourself, otherwise you can wait.

Sounds like her period will come in the next few years house full of girls we all got real bitchy even other females I have watched grow up usually anytime in the next few years it happens but sounds like her hormones are starting to come in maybe you should ask her whats up lately could also be a problem she is dealing with got her flustered

My 8y/o is like that. No tablet for 3 days. It happens every day he gets it back.

They usually speak however they’re spoken to. …

I’d put that iPad up, no point in arguing. Your the parent.

Maybe try spanking her… sounds like your raising an entitled, spoiled BRAT… if you don’t take control, the cops will when she gets older.

Take it away and put her in a corner

I would have got her ipad & taken it away for speaking to me like that :hushed: does she hear anyone else speaking to you that way?

Has anything happened to her? Sometimes when kids become very angry and start acting out aggressively towards parents or others it’s because they are dealing with something that they are not talking about.
Maybe something happened with friends, or at school. Especially with a child that young something deeper maybe going on with her.

That iPad would’ve disappeared. People only treat you how you tolerate. Quit allowing it and she’ll stop.

I could’ve written this myself , word for word. My daughter is almost 9 and has been this way for about a year and a half. And when I do discipline her; it seems to make no difference. AND THEN she’ll guilt trip me and make me feel like an awful parent for disciplining her. I’m at my whits end. I’m considering getting her some therapy or maybe both of us together. Ppl kept telling me to discipline this way or that way. Or to just ride it out and it’d get better… it hasn’t. It’s so crazy Bc my daughter can act so mature, similar to an adult, for other people. But with me, she loses her shit. It’s almost like two completely different personalities in one tiny little girl

How does she do in school? A lot of these are signs of ADHD and ODD.

Every child is different and parenting methods are not alike. That said,I can only advise as to what has worked for me or those that I have been nanny for. Conversations and discipline and communication needs to be done eye to eye. Talking back and resistance to your rules is cause for daily conversations. Wherever she is out of sorts, and demands you to do something, the answer is no. If you continue to act out in this manner, ——— gets taken away or we will no longer be going———. Explain that these things are a privilege and if she cannot respect you she won’t get them. Talking from another room enables them to ignore you and fluff off what’s being asked. With anything, after discipline explain why or ask her why do you think I took this away? If it happens again, no screen time for a week etc. followed by a hug and I love you. First in for most you must follow through with your discipline oh she will know house to get through it. She sounds very smart.

Just gonna throw this out there as something that could be the issue (because one of my six kids deal with this). Have you ever looked into “Oppositional Defiant Disorder” aka ODD? You haven’t said much about your child, but the behavior described sounds like it could be ODD possibly. Also, ODD is known to truly hit its peak at the age of 7-8 years old. Maybe look into it? Look at the ODD symptoms checklists and see how your child compares to them?

Please read Ross Greens EXPLOSIVE CHILD. This book save me in so so many ways. It’s a book for anyone with children. Please read this book it will help you.

Haha :joy: I’m so not laughing at how you handled the situation. I’m laughing at how I would have and some may not agree. But when that foul mouth started she would no longer have access to the IPad, TV, phone etc. being an entitled brat is NOT ok. We most definitely would’ve had a nice long chat about the behavior she displayed and boundaries, rules etc explained in great detail. Take control now. Tough love is hard but I can assure you as the years pass allowing that behavior to continue will only get worse.

You should have just went and got the iPad

Then held onto it for a week.

Um chuck her iPad in the bin! (Remove the item instantly).she thinks this behaviour is ok so I’d look into thst

Maybe be the grown up in the situation and let them know what is right and wrong and call them out when they are being horrible and punish if needed. Sounds like you have waited on her hand and foot since she was born but now want it to change but she’s still the same because you have done no real work to get them to be better, both of you have a lot of work to do. Parents aren’t meant to be friends, friendly yes but you are the one in charge not the 7 year old. Time to step up, good luck.

Maybe try not to argue with her tell her what it is and then don’t reply when she starts yelling walk away

Does she know that she will not get things handed to her in life, she needs to work for it?

She should learn that everything she has is a privilege, not a right. She needs to earn the things she has and does.
Take away all of her moat valuables things and activities and make her earn them! If she earns something and then cocka an attitude, take it away again until she earns it back and does the punishment on top of that.

I started this when my daughter was 3.5 and she is 5.5 now and it has made a world of difference, even with her friends today. She will literally ask if she can do or have things if she is unsure if she has earned them. She will also correct her friends attitude infront of their parents too (I always get, yeah what she said). She knows that if she acts up, she doesn’t get rewarded for going to go do her activities or getting to play her games, etc…

You work hard to make money to give her things and activities. So what makes you think that she should just give them to her because you bought them for her? She should work hard to have the activities and things that you buy her. They are not a God given right, they are privileges. She is old enough to know that if I do this for you, that means mommy and daddy and brother and sister, etc… can’t get or do bla bla bla so be thankful for the things you have gotten and the things you do. Teach her to work hard for what she has.

I do believe every child will have their days, especially figuring out their emotions, and should not be punished for that. They should also not be rewarded for acting inappropriately.

My daughter will act what she can do to earn other things and she will so her best to control herself and will act to go to her room to do what she needs to to cool off.

Yelling and screaming wont accomplish anything. Taking something away will without an explanation will not accomplish anything either.

We use a calendar for a behavior chart and she gets to draw pictures on her good days and she MUST draw a frown face on bad days. It gives her a visual to look at to see how shes been doing.

Get the book the Fervent and learn. To.pray over her

man if I even tried my mum I would have woken up in the emergency department :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Look into when she is getting this from. Is this a new thing for her? New friends? How does she see other people treat you?

I also suggest therapy. If not addressed this will become a bigger issue.

she definitely wouldn’t have gotten the ipad after that. when kids get to a certain age, they start to feel really entitled. and if your allowing that behavior it will only get worse. i know for a fact, if i would have every spoken like that to my mom, i was either getting an ass whoopin, on my knees, or punished.

If my kid talked to me that way, I would have popped that ass and then I would have had a new iPad and she would have nothing.

:clap:t2:who​:clap:t2:do​:clap:t2:you​:clap:t2:think​:clap:t2:you​:clap:t2:are​:clap:t2:talking​:clap:t2:to​:clap:t2:like​:clap:t2:that?

Say what you want about it, but my kids don’t do this ridiculous shit. They are also extremely happy and well adjusted children that get honor roll and rarely need to be disciplined.

5 Likes

Children of this age mostly copy others behaviour any friend, classmate. It can be any person.

Can you get it for me?
Reply, “no, thank you”. If she asks again, get it and put it away.

That doesn’t just happen over night… but it can be fixed in a week. “You’re not getting your iPad at all now. I’ll think about it in 3 days pending you correct your behavior”

When my kids acted up I took all the chargers to every one of their electronics

And time her on the electronics to one hour at a time

I assure you the iPad causes 90% of this. I live it with 2 grands, one 10 and the other 4.

Children mirror behavior. Who is she seeing do this?

1 Like

7 is too young for you to put up with that crap

But if you are looking at punishment talk and timeout take away the ipad ig

YOU are the adult. Why are you arguing with her?

Behavioral therapy helped my son a lot

2 Likes

With her attitude like that, I wouldn’t have allowed her to have the iPad today.

In the end, after being disrespectful she still got what she wanted. You won’t be able to change the attitude if there is no consequences.

That’s just my opinion. Good luck to you. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Hugs mum. :hugs: Everything I would do would probably be wrong. Curious to see what these comments say.

3 Likes

She probably doesn’t need an iPad. I would get rid of it :grimacing:

2 Likes

Seriously… after she started being rude and disrespectful I would have walked over there to get it…. It’s my iPad now. :woman_shrugging:t3:

She’s just testing her boundaries. This too shall pass !!

1 Like

Sounds like its connected to screen time :woman_shrugging: I would just tell her if she is being aggressive she has to take a break :woman_shrugging:

Well, first I would’ve taken the iPad lol if shes going to be disrespectful then take away privelages

SOORY THAT IS CALLED DISRESPECT AND IF U DONT TEACH HER RESPECT WHAT WILL BE HER LIMITS SOMEONE WILL OR PRISON WILL WHEN SHE OUT OF CONTROL U RESPECT YOUR ELDERS ALWAYS WOW MOM YOUR NOT DOING YOUR JOB U CANT ALWAYS BE NICE U HAVE TO KEEP YOUR GANG YOUR GANG THE STRONGEST BEST GANG EVER THE FAMILY AND U ARE THE LEADER U ONLY ARE BORN OR MARRIED IN TO NOT EVERYONE U KNOW IS NOT A MEMBER OF YOUR GANG THAT WHAT MAKES YOUR GANG SPECIAL U TRULY LOVE AND CARE ABOUT WHAT EACH OTHER NEEDS AND MAKE SURE EACH OTHER IS THE BEST U THAT U CAN BE IT STARTS BY LIKING YOURSELF LOVING YOURSELF BEING YOUR OWN BESTFRIEND IF U DONT GIVE THIS TO YOURSELF U DO NOT HAVE IT TO GIVE AWAY TO ANYONE ELSE U CANT SHARE WHAT U DONT HAVE SO MOM BE THE BEST U THAT U CANT BE GOOD LUCK TO YOUR GANG (FAMILY) your the leader…

Wouldnt be no iPad then. Consequences when she talks back

Are you Christian she needs Jesus

1 Like

I guess I’m old school because I’d pop that a$$ one good time.

Girl with that move alone my kid stops her foolishness :rofl:

Take iPad away no reason for her to have it with attitude

1. Say firmly, “I am your Mother! You do not get to talk to me like that.”

2. If she talks back say, “Don’t you dare talk back to me! Lose the attitude before you lose your ipad. I will take it back until you remember respect. I buy you things like the ipad, I take good care of you, & I love you to the moon & back, but you WILL NOT talk to me that way.”

3. Ask for an apology. Tell her that’s what a good person does when they hurt someone. If she doesn’t, take away the ipad for 1 day (then 2 days, then 3 days, & so on each time she is disrespectful.) Don’t give it back if she ‘fake’ apologizes. Giving the ipad back should NOT be a payment for her apology either. Accept her genuine apology, but tell her she earned the time out for her ipad and will get it back if she continues behaving.

But definitely be the Mom & lay down the law. Tell her you didn’t raise her to talk like that. Discuss why being bossy is bad. There are books on it also. I have some books on manners/behaviors to teach my kiddo. There’s books on why it’s not good to be mean, bossy, greedy, whiny, to overdo things, or fight. Then I’ve got books on helping, caring, being a good friend, trying your best, etc. I suggest the Help Me Be Good books. Its an old book set, but its probably on ebay.

Take the IPAD. make her earn her time on her electronics

Take all things away that she enjoys until she learns her place and some manners. Do not give in

My nearly 3 year old does this :woman_facepalming: until I take his toys off him

She wouldn’t see that iPad for a week.

My son is 5 n speaks to me like this.
I’m trying my best to beat it every day x

Sounds like she needs adjustment maybe some attention .

Good butt whooping will fix that,

1 Like

Her iPad would be in the trash. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Take her damn IPAD away
And punish her consistently and stick to your guns… don’t give in …. Tough love often works….

And LAST CASE scenario
She needs to maybe see a therapist something could be troubling her maybe even at school…… or whatever

3 Likes

fix it now later in life she will
only get worse

I am having the samw problem with my daughter attitude and she is also 7

That little conversation was way too long.

I’d ignore here completely anytime it devolves into this.

Sounds like someone needs to lose her iPad

I’d throw out the damn iPad personally! But that’s the way I roll

Stop now or your life is going to be miserable u step up show her who’s in charge with a who do u think u are get your lazy ass up and do what u are told u are the child u have no say until u are old enough to pay bills then u might get a opion anymore out of u this ipod is a luxury u are lucky to have I will take it away if u don’t do as your told THIS IS WHATS WRONG WITH SOCIETY U DONT ALLOW YOUR KIDS TO HAVE SO MANY CHOICE AND JUMP TO THERE DEMANDS YOUR NOT THERE SERVANT OR FRIEND YOUR THERE PARRNT 1 FIRST U ARE THE LEADER OF YOUR GANG AND YOUR GANG IS YOUR FAMILY U ALLOW THIS SHE WILL BE IN A STREET GANG U TEACH BY EXAMPLE U DONT ITS MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO U MAKE HER GET UP HELP WITH DAILY CHORES THAT NEED TO BE DONE LAUNDRY WASH DRY FOLD HANG UP SWEEP VACAUM DUST WIPE THINGS DOWN THERE WERE RESPONSIBILITIES WHEN I WAS GROWING UP AND WHEN MY KIDS WERE GROWING UP I SEE MY DAUGHTER SPOILING MY GRANDKIDS. BUT SHE DEMANDS RESPINSIBILTIES CHORES AND NO U DONT TALK BAD SHE HAS THE INTERNET HOOKED UP WHERE SHE CAN SHUT IT DOWN IF THEY DONT DO THERE JOBS

Umm… Don’t argue with a 7 year old🙄

I’d of laughed very loudly and said “balls! Get ya own tablet” :woman_shrugging:t2:

My mom would of knocked my block off