Is asking for help paying for a wedding cake a big deal?

It will not matter in 10 yrs. 60 dollars will not break you but why get married if you cant come up with that?

10 Likes

Do it ur self don’t ask for anything be proud u did it on ur own

3 Likes

I think they are being very cheap. They should Google the average cost of a wedding these days, they’d probably be shocked. That being said, if they don’t want to help, its their choice. I think for me, it would be one of those things I could forgive, but not necessarily forget. Congratulations on your marriage!

How much money did the parents shell out for the commitment ceremony? If nothing then, that’s pretty shitty of the parents. But if they already helped with a ceremony then I wouldn’t blame them

Traditionally, the parents of the bride are supposed to pay for the wedding. However, if the two of you are paying for everything else, it’s only an additional $60. Just pay it yourselves and avoid the drama. Or, be petty and exclude both sides from everything. If they wanna come as guests and not the parents of the bride/groom, just have them there as guests. Don’t include them in the planing or give them any real role in the wedding. Even better, take the money that you two were going to spend on the wedding and fly to Vegas. Get married there, just the two of y’all and enjoy a few days together after. No one but you two. I’ve never understood the point of a wedding. It’s about the marriage, not the wedding.

7 Likes

I would gladly help my kids but in truth it’s 2021 and parents aren’t obligated.

4 Likes

Forget it I wouldn’t ask their sorry asses for nothing

Sixty dollars isn’t worth having a family problems over. Pay for your own cake.

8 Likes

then dont invite them…30 bucks is not asking much , and if they are making a big fuss about it in a negative way then ask yourself are they being supportive or a pain

3 Likes

Its not a big deal. You asked and expected a yes, but got the no.
End of

7 Likes

Oh wow! I’m stunned How most of you think the parents are in the wrong! NO! They are not. They don’t have to pay for anything. These are grown Up PEOPLE who want to get married so you pay for it yourself. This must be something american cuz here in Holland we pay for out own Wedding etc. Parents are not the ones who have to help with things like this.

8 Likes

Don’t have a wedding if you can’t afford it.

10 Likes

You already had the ceremony party? Just get eloped

2 Likes

Buy it yourself you aren’t marrying your mum or dad.

3 Likes

Don’t invite them since they’re being horrible to you both.

1 Like

Save that money for a honeymoon or a trip! Elope and be done with it girl!:heart:

3 Likes

My husband paid for everything.

Ya its a big deal!! Stop taking.

2 Likes

Well maybe make a statement don’t worry about a gift helping pay for the cake will be a gift.

1 Like

However hubby and I paid for everything.

1 Like

You get to ask for help, no harm in asking but they get to say no if they want to.

11 Likes

Why are you trying to throw a wedding that you really can’t afford?:thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

9 Likes

I feel like there’s more to this story. Maybe you’ve taken enough. Maybe you should consider that they may feel like you’ve been a taker not a giver and are done with you both.

2 Likes

I would have it but exclude the cheap skates.

2 Likes

For $60? Just pay yourselves

4 Likes

Go and elope have fun by yourselves, they don’t seem to interested

3 Likes

Likely more to this story…if you weren’t ready to commit to marriage prior why even bother with a “commitment ceremony”?? $60 for a cake??? Go to Costco buy a slab cake and pay for it yourself…be an adult!!!

6 Likes

If you can’t afford to get married, don’t get married. Never expect anything from anyone for your wants.

5 Likes

Go get married in Jamaica and don’t invite them lol

5 Likes

Fuck them than lol that’s some bullshit if u ask me. They too broke to put 30 toward a cake they will eat…lol how rude I think.

if u don’t have 60 dollars to buy a cake…you don’t need to do a wedding

5 Likes

If you can’t afford a cake for your guests, then maybe there won’t be dessert. Or you can do like I did for my friend and make it yourself. It’s a cake.

1 Like

Why would anyone need help with 60 dollars?? Just pay for it yourself. Unless people offer don’t ask!!

1 Like

Out of all the things you for got to pay for was the cake, :joy:Owell make ya own go to pack n save buy 4 sponges some cream afew lollies to decorate and bang theres ya cake Lmao cost ya about $30 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::laughing:

Why is everyone so negative about this? I dont think asking for thirty dollars is asking to much of either side. If they dont want to do that then cut down the size of the cake. You dont need a big fancy cake.

3 Likes

Why do you expect people to help paying for anything after shacking up for 6 years.to everyone your already together

3 Likes

Parents are not SUPPOSED to pay for anything. They do but they don’t have to. Word of advice. The wedding is just one big party. The marriage is where you need to succeed. Do what you can comfortably afford.

4 Likes

First, what the heck is a commitment ceremony?! That’s an actual thing that cost money and shit?!

Second… if you can’t afford $60 for a cake… I think you can skip the whole wedding.

Third… no one is obligated to pay for your party. It’s what you want to do, you pay for it.

From experience…just do it yourselves. My mom and dad or none of family but a cousin were at my wedding and me and husband paid for it ourselves. My dad sent $300 3 days AFTER the wedding and went fishing instead of walking me down the aisle…

2 Likes

If you have been together for 6 years and can’t afford a cake, you have more serious problems. Forget the big wedding. It’s a joke.

2 Likes

And yes…American tradition is bride’s parents pay for wedding and husband’s pays for honeymoon, but most dont follow that anymore. I dont see why not. Id be happy to give my kids money to get married…the first time anyway…Lol. Any other marriages they pony up or go to courthouse…

3 Likes

Check out Sam’s they have beautiful wedding cakes

This is a joke right? Seriously!

2 Likes

Sorry, both sets of parents sound cheap af. That’s pretty petty of them.

2 Likes

A commitment ceremony?, That ceremony WAS your wedding date. Can’t be getting cake and gifts a second time.

6 Likes

Tell them to pay for the cake as a gift… not bring an actual gift?!

1 Like

Sorry….no one owes you anything.
You had one ceremony. Married or not. I personally think it’s foolish to waste money on a wedding when you already had a ceremony. Go to Vegas.

8 Likes

It’s a cake,Betty crocker aisle 8,5th row up,1.69,next section over,2 more shelves up,24 different flavors of frosting, buck thirty five.knowing how to correctly read the recipe, priceless and drama free

10 Likes

You should have committed tovsaving for a wedding cake…this has to be a joke

7 Likes

When my wife and I got married we paid for everything ourselves and helped make the food for the reception.

3 Likes

Well I mean, you’re only asking for an extra $60, try to find somewhere where you can save that money:)

3 Likes

Save your money and go to Vegas

Just get a cheap cake from Sam’s or cotsco or go to Vegas or Tennessee do a chapel by yourself and honeymoon while there just forget people and do it for love

If they wanted to pay for any part of your wedding they would of had a saving account for your wedding. Some parents does it for college fund.

They shouldn’t have to help pay for anything unless they want to.

9 Likes

If you have a family member that bakes ask them to make it AS THEIR GIFT (do NOT expect anything other than that) My cousin is an amazing baker and she was always the designated cake personal for big events lol. What she would do for weddings is make a small cake for the bride and groom to cut and then sheet cakes to cut and serve to guests. It’s more cost effective and just way easier

4 Likes

Just go to Vegas and leave all their asses out

U already had a ceremony (commitment) work harder for the extra $60 yourselves, it’s only 30 from each side. Save the fuss and leave both sets of parents alone.

6 Likes

Ummm it’s your wedding. So you should pay for it. Just buy a cheap chocolate mud cake if you don’t want to spend the money. :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

I don’t believe in paying big for a wedding…. Get a box cake and frosting. Nothing wrong with that. You and your soon to be husband shouldn’t be stressing over that… remember why you two are getting married.
I wouldn’t let a cake, food or anyone ruin my wedding day!

2 Likes

Honestly I know the parents aren’t obligated to pay for some of the wedding but they should WANT TOO. They should want to contribute to the most important day of your life. And your actually only asking for $30 each towards your entire wedding for your cake!!! Its really sad that they are being like this. I’d actually just get a cake myself so that I didn’t have to deal with the stress of the them about the cake and not have them at the wedding either as obviously they are not the nicest and most loving people. Enjoy your day and move on, don’t let them spoil it. At least you can say you did everything on your own. Congratulations :partying_face: and I hope you have a great wedding day filled with love and many HAPPY people around you

7 Likes

I think this is more about being upset that no one wants to help. You’re not asking much. If they have it they should want to help. If they’re worried about a gift let that be their gift?

5 Likes

Don’t make a big drama for $60. Go to your nearest sam’s club and you can get a full sheet for like $40 and they decorate nicely. You can also do cupcakes. We had lots of help but nobody is obligated.

5 Likes

No! Your party your cost. Go to a courthouse if you can’t afford a cake!

4 Likes

Buy some pretty white cupcakes and put them on a pretty lace covered tray!

1 Like

Ouch , they should help if they can afford too, IMO

1 Like

If you can’t afford the cake and people are not able to contribute then go with a cheaper option

4 Likes

I decided we are going to get hitched in Vegas! And after party at home with close family and friends… gonna be " bring a dish not a gift!" :wink: On invites!

2 Likes

I may not be the best person to comment on this having no parents myself but here’s my 2 cents worth. Two very key words in her question ASKING and HELP both are a choice for the receiver ie the parents not an obligation they have the right to choose yes or no. You may not like their choice but that’s their prerogative. In saying that I have 3 kids and if that were my kids they wouldn’t have had to ask I would have said what can I help with to support you and your family. So idk. Hope you guys have a magical day full of laughter love and create beautiful memories.

6 Likes

Maybe fund a cheaper cake

1 Like

Smaller cake or sheet cake with a topper that’s cute or pretty. My grand daughter did her cake and my daughters cake

1 Like

Don’t you know anybody who bakes ??? I had a neighbor make mine for $50 ( plus ingredients)… ask your friends.

If it was my children I damn sure would, regardless if they already had a ceremony. I’d help anyway I could. That’d be my babies special day. As a mother, if I could, they wouldn’t have to pay for anything… if they won’t do it, try to cut in another area of your wedding to make it happen. Everyone deserves a beautiful wedding cake.

You’ve spent hundreds of dollars but now crying about $60. Quit crying and buy the dang cake

2 Likes

I would not let them pay one dime . I would go to Walmart if I had to and buy what I could afford . They sound very inconsiderate . Who wants help from misery ?!

3 Likes

There is a lady on YouTube that turns cheap sheet cakes from places like Walmart and Kroger into gorgeous wedding cakes. You should look her up and see if you can do your own wedding cake for like $20.

1 Like

OMG I bought my sons 300 dollars least they can do

2 Likes

Just pay for it yourself :woman_shrugging:
My husband and I paid for our wedding completely alone…
I mean I understand being hurt but no ones obligated to pay for a wedding or help

9 Likes

I had my parents buy my wedding cake as a wedding present but my cake was $500. We paid for everything ourselves and I’m glad because we did it our way. We asked for cards no gifts since we just bought a house a month before they wedding and have been living together for 6 years prior so we didn’t need anything. If your parents don’t offer to help out then I suggest just buying the cake yourselves. REMEMBER it’s your day no one else’s

I’m glad I don’t have family like the OP or a lot of y’all in the comments. Sheesh

1 Like

just buy the cake yourself

5 Likes

I dont think it is but you could also perhaps do some checking around and see if theres someone who can make the one you want the way you want for a better price? Or call in a favor? I haven’t been married but i do understand i unfortunately got alot of things for a wedding that didn’t happen and couldnt return everything that was bought and it was mostly all my family paying for things and whatnot well my mom happens to be a former cake decorator and her and a friend were going to make my cake

Don’t know where you live but we had our wedding cake made at Sam’s club. Best cake ever and I think it was around $40 for 2 tiers

2 Likes

So add up all the money and time your parents put into you and possibly siblings from birth to now. Don’t you think if you are old enough to be married, you are old enough to pay your own way?

6 Likes

First of all, if you can’t pay for it yourself don’t do it until you can pay. Don’t act entitled. I would never ask someone to pay for my shit .

Asking isn’t a big deal but you have to be prepared for an answer of no. If you can afford to pay for it yourself, there’s no reason to cancel, but if you can’t, then maybe you should postpone it until you can. The days of expecting family to pay are long gone.

2 Likes

If it’s must $60 then why bother asking others to pay, get it yourself!

2 Likes

Just get married at city hall and go on a honeymoon.

How about elope? They dont want to help so you all can enjoy it. Shrugs #vegasbaby

If you can’t afford the cake; you domt need to get married.

2 Likes

$60 they cheap as hell. That’s not even that much. Pension is more than that

2 Likes

Buy your own cake and don’t let them have a slice :rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Have your wedding. Be happy. PY for the cake . Don’t let cheap people take away from your happy day. They will regret it.

Elope and use that money on a nice honeymoon or Dow payment for a home.

You’ve already had the commitment ceremony so the wedding seems to be more of a legal ceremony. You don’t ask for anyone to pay for anything (they either offer ir don’t) and in any case you’ve already been together for so long so this is your responsibility. The tradition of family paying for the wedding comes from just that… Tradition. As in a viriginal, young bride, starting her new life after living with her parents. If you already live together then this cermony is for you not necessarily about the respective families uniting as in traditon. If your family has money and has offered to pay for anything then you’re blessed. Regardless, you’re still going to be family and around each other for special occasions, holidays, and family functions. Figure out a way to cut corners, but a cheaper cake, or make it yourself.

We paid for everything ourselves including the bridal party attire. Our whole wedding and reception total cost $3,000 (including food, cake, photographer, hall, bridal party attire and hair, etc.). It’s one day! The rest of your lives is what truly matters!

1 Like

Your wedding…your expense!!! If any1 wants to help…Great. If not then that’s fair enough!! I would NEVER expect any1 to help pay for my wedding! And asking is just plain rude

If you can’t afford $60 for your wedding cake is that even your biggest concern here? In my opinion if they don’t offer to help you. You shouldn’t ask and put them on the spot. They probably didn’t feel comfortable with you asking. Reschedule when you can afford it.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/is-asking-for-help-paying-for-a-wedding-cake-a-big-deal/12895

My sister made mine and my husbands wedding cake… I didn’t really want a cake but my sister surprised us with it as it was only a small wedding with only family which was perfect

1 Like

IMO your just sat there expecting that people should be helping toward paying for things for your wedding even if it is just towards the cake but in reality it’s not the 60s anymore. If you want to get married then pay for everything yourselves. Fair enough you asked for help but they have said no and you just come across as self righteous and entitled because you didn’t get the answer you wanted so looking for justification that your in the right and it’s the parents been greedy. If your sat wondering if you should be getting married just because they said no to helping with money then neither of you should be marrying at all because it comes across for the wrong reasons. You get married because you love each other and the memories not wether or not people can help with money

25 Likes