Is breastfeeding and smoking marijuana safe?

There’s been research on this type of stuff. Read that before going to the fb drs.

2 Likes

It’s perfectly fine.

3 Likes

Breast milk has cannabidiods in it already. I believe this isnt any of your business or anyone elses , its her business and her doctor 💁

13 Likes

Ok so if it’s legal nothing u can do quit being a noisy person. Every mother shouldnt have to worry about family reporting them… this crap against smoking it’s a natural plant from earth it helps soothe us and helps in many ways that noone knows but the person who chooses to smoke to calm them

2 Likes

Perfectly fine everything should be done to a happy medium :slightly_smiling_face:

Call CPS and they can sort it out.

10 Likes

You shouldn’t breast feed if you use marijuana drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes :smirk:

8 Likes

She’s harming the baby and if she can’t quit then she shouldn’t be a mom!

5 Likes

It’s just weed it ain’t going to harm the baby :baby: the baby will be totally fine. It’s not like she’s hotboxing a room with the child in it. Ppl need to chill. It’s legal better than smoking cigarettes :smoking:

7 Likes

She’s right! Does she question pharmaceuticals like she does cannabis? Let the new mom smoke for her mental health and tell granny to have a seat. They used to smoke cigarettes to have smaller babies. :woman_facepalming: They had their chance. If it were drugs or even prescribed pills, thats another story. Cannabis is an herb.

8 Likes

It’s okay to drink a beer while breastfeeding. While I wouldn’t necessarily recommend smoking WHILE breastfeeding because asthma is a thing, smoking weed will not harm that baby. Thc has a lot of medicinal uses. Cbd oil is just the extract of thc (they take all the stuff they need and the part that makes you get the munchies or makes you sleepy they leave out)

1 Like

I cant belive the mount of women defending weed /grass it is a drug not a overly bad 1 but a drug none the less look u guys that smoke it have a choice what to put into ur bodies but ur we babies dont just to gave them a fighting chance in this cruel world is all im saying …

3 Likes

I was told by my dr child welfare is not concerned about pot but if it’s in the baby’s system you can be in trouble

1 Like

I wouldn’t chance it

1 Like

What’s the science vs stigma of taking thc (edibles, smoking, etc) while breastfeeding?
I need facts.

There I a an age limit for Marijuana for a reason and no matter how a baby gets it in to its system it is illegal and if weed is more important than your baby which is obvious cause ur paying for weed and to cheap to buy formula to keep ur baby safe u shouldn’t have a baby

4 Likes

Any kind of smoking isn’t good while breastfeeding.
That said, being a mom is hard. Maybe you could all support through it

1 Like

Nothing wrong with it at all

2 Likes

Rather than consult with the public , I urge you to ask your pediatrician . Pretty sure I know what they will say , but they know best . Please get a professional opinion .

1 Like

:heart_decoration:Hi I’m asking for donations for my Baby Nieces chemo treatments :heart_decoration: Help Samantha beat Cancer!, organized by Gina Zazueta

If she gave a fuck about HER GRAND DAUGHTER, she would’ve done something about it ASAP! IF YOU SEE SOMEONE DOING WRONG. CORRECT THEM. THAT BABY DON’T DESERVE ALL THAT TOXIC MILK!!! ANYONE WITH COMMON FUCKING SENSE KNOWS THIS!!! :angry:

P.s - you can only go so far with the whole, “well…their business is THEIR BUSINESS” IF THEY ARE FAMILY? HELP THEM GAIN KNOWLEDGE ON THE SITUATION. MAYBE SHE DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH BRAINS TO KNOW THAT IT AIN’T OKAY?! IDK I HOPE TO GOD THAT THINGS WORK OUT!

Depending on the state she is in it can be enough to lose the kid. If in a state (No matter what it is a federal crime.) where it is still illegal they can test if it is in the baby’s system, if so they can take the child.

If in a state that has legalized weed it is a judgment call as it is the equivalent of having alcohol in the baby’s system. If child protective services feel that the baby is in a bad situation they will do anything possible for the child.

As for your MIL, it’s a fine line to walk. She has to to make a choice(s) and prepare to deal with the consequences of that choice(s).

A) She could confront them and it goes well and the mom stops or the mom can decide to not let your MIL have access to the child anymore.

B)MIL can notify CPS and the baby could be removed from the parents. MIL could be named temp guardian or not be granted and lose contact. Or parents can know it’s her and decide no to have contact with her for reporting.

1 Like

Is she actually smoking around the baby? Or is she under the influence around the baby?

I feel there is a difference.

I don’t think anyone should be smoking anything around a baby. Marijuana, cigarettes. Second hand is a legitimate thing.

Aside from that, if that is not occurring, I wouldn’t bring it up. Especially if you live in a state that legalized it. As long as she’s functioning and taking care of her daughter… her daughter isn’t in danger… what are you concerned about?

8 Likes

I personally wouldn’t do it I took edibles for my insomnia till I got pregnant and now that I’m breastfeeding I still don’t take them it does pass to the baby I just don’t know what the harm is :woman_shrugging:t2: my mom smoked weed while pregnant and when she breastfed all of us kids lol most of us turned out just fine. When I ask my doctor about it he did say that they think that it it may cause behavioral issues in children but that they weren’t 100% sure.

1 Like

A girl I used to work with had her baby taken away by cps just because her boyfriend smoked weed around her daughter. They did a drug test on the baby and she tested positive just from him smoking in the same house.

2 Likes

Is she taking any meds??
Ibuprofen, narcotic pain meds, any meds whatsoever?
Because pharmaceuticals transfer to breast milk. The danger here isn’t the cannabis, it’s uninformed individuals.

27 Likes

Will just put this out there, if the kid gets hurt or something or sick with something and say they do vlood work. If the kid tests positive for thc bye bye kids gone to a foster home.

1 Like

Yes it’s perfectly safe my sister has epilepsy an weed is the only thing that helps her anymore an she’s been pregnant twice an breast fed an had no problems now we’ve been told by a lot of ppl that it’s not right but it’s never caused any harm to them

8 Likes

If she wants to keep smoking and wants to breastfeed tell her just to pump her breast milk till it’s all gone and she’ll have like 3 hours to smoke and it not be in the breast milk but nothing bad is gonna happen unless being allergic to marijuana runs on either side of the family.

1 Like

Personally, I’ve known plenty of women that have and have perfectly normal babies.

13 Likes

Seriously keep your judgemental noses out of her business

23 Likes

Tell the mother in law to do some research before speaking on something that doesn’t really concern her.

12 Likes

Keep your noses out of her life! Maybe she should read a book or 2 about the issue before bringing something up that really isnt any of her buisness. Just daying :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I don’t think any kind of smoke is cool around a baby, but that’s my opinion. Smoking outside, alright, cool. But smoking in the house with a baby doesn’t seem like a good idea.

16 Likes

Smoking and breastfeeding is fine. But smoking AROUND the baby where the child can breath it i highly think is wrong.

24 Likes

Here’s a study I easily found. Just do some research before addressing concerns. Also keep in mind smoking may help her depression/anxiety and whatever other issues she may be having and that it would be more beneficial for her to have better mental health during this time than the still unsure side effects of long term breastfeeding and marijuana use.

3 Likes

Yep! Perfectly fine. And she doesn’t ever have to pump and dump.

1 Like

Cannabis and breastfeeding are absolutely fine, but smoking anything around a baby or child isn’t good for the child.

3 Likes

The most abundant cannabinoid found in breast milk is called 2-arachidonoylglycerol (2-AG). This endocannabinoid also stimulates the same cell receptors that THC does. … CB1 receptors in the brain control these functions. Without these endocannabinoids, babies may develop a disease called “non-organic ability to thrive”.

4 Likes

Research endocannabinoid system and cannabinoids in breast milk. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes it’s safe. There’s nothing proven that it’s unsafe. I’ve known so many women that has smoked during pregnancy. Babies turned out fine. Plus it’s safer than any drugs given by a dr.

6 Likes

I smoked marijuana during pregnancy and breastfeeding and my kids are both fine.

5 Likes

Actually, it’s no ones business. It’s between the mother and the father of the child. Unless the child is actively, physically being harmed, neglected etc. Let it be. There are so MANY children suffering in neglect and abuse. I don’t agree with it being done in the babies physical presence but that’s about it.

13 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about her smoking and breastfeeding. It’s better she smoke outside tho. Second hand smoke around the baby isn’t good.

3 Likes

So my friend uses marijuana instead of antidepressants.

She did quit until her baby was 6 months. She couldn’t find anything saying it was unsafe however she found a study that it could cause an increase of sids.

To bring it up to someone who doesn’t think it’s harmful is a whole other issue. I wouldn’t press. If she feels comfortable doing that and breastfeeding that’s on her.

I do hope she doesn’t smoke around baby.

She’s the parent. It’s her business what she does.

5 Likes

It’s not gonna harm the baby either way and it’s no one’s business. Its beneficial through breastmilk. But it IS highly illegal so it’s her choice to mess with it and really stupid IMO to be so forward about it because if CPS ever gets called over it and they test the baby and it tests positive for marijuana they’ll take the baby from her.

It’s her child and if she doesn’t want to quit then she’s not going to. It’s alright for the baby but it’s obviously not legal…

Seriously asking that question? So did she smoke it when she was preg, i gave up smoking when i found out i was preg as i woudnt want to harm my unborn baby, i would feel ashamed smoking with a newborn tbh weed may not be damaging but tabbaco is not good around a baby breastfeeding or not

I’ve breastfed and smoke weed before and there is nothing wrong with it at all… In my experience it actually helped with my milk production and gave me more fuel for the baby… the baby on the other hand was eating normally and more efficiently and was not harmed at all either. He is a thriving 9 year old today

6 Likes

THC is stored under fat cells and passed through breastmilk. There’s no way of knowing how much the baby is receiving and the effects of THC on a developing brain are unknown. Not a good idea.

2 Likes

My kid is 6 and perfectly fine

4 Likes

I did it. People have a right to their own views but ought to remind themselves its not their kid or their business.

5 Likes

Yeah- I wish someone wanted to “talk” to me about what’s none of their business. That would go super well for them. Like they would never have to see me again to be concerned🤷🏼‍♀️

5 Likes

research… the studies I’ve seen lately have no actual prove it does harm but its not socially accepted honestly.

5 Likes

I say its not your business or hers. Let her be.

4 Likes

All mine are amazing kids

3 Likes

So glad I live in Canada :canada: where I have the legal right to smoke or not.

1 Like

IT IS ILLEGAL TO EXPOSE A MINOR TO MARAJUANA!! Not to mention immoral. Just because you can not find information on whether it is harmful does not mean you should take that chance. There is no information because no one in their right mind would risk exposing an infant in order to do research.

6 Likes

Marijuana-exposed children are almost twice as likely to display delinquent behavior, such as drug use, by the age of 14. At a much younger age impulsivity and hyperactive, and exhibited behavioral issues, lower IQ scores, and memory problems when compared to children of non-users. I wouldn’t give her permission to smoke around me let alone around a child who can’t say no!

4 Likes

I didn’t do it but I feel like it’s her baby and her business… if grandma feels it’s wrong she could always report it, it’s her right to do that and at that point if cps feels it’s wrong they can deal with it :woman_shrugging:t2: I don’t see a problem with it people smoke cigarettes in home and cars with babies all the time and I personally feel like that’s worse than what she is doing

2 Likes

I think it’s completely fine. Everyone has their opinions, but honestly it’s the mothers choice :woman_shrugging: I personally wouldn’t smoke directly in front of the baby but I don’t believe it would harm the baby either way.

1 Like

Its weed. Now you why you’re baby’s hungry all time. I’m kidding. Lol hell. O if mom is breast feeding all she puts in her body is going to baby I’m not against weed by any means but when it’s not a decision that is not best for baby. You need to rethink is smoking marijuana that important that you would RISK Your Baby hell no. If you want to continue to smoke do it after you are not exposing the baby and I have seen a burnouts in my life but def not typical it’s about thebaby and that’s what’s important

3 Likes

I do find a problem with this, the mother is an adult and is choosing to smoke a drug and harm her lungs, her choice, fine. Her child is not making this choice. You are destroying your baby’s lungs for your habit. 2nd hand smoke is harmful… period. Very selfish and irresponsible as a parent.

6 Likes

lots of children have recieved second hand, marijuana many have been nursed as well… I’m sure if it had effects like alcohol, it would be treated as such…

1 Like

My doctor says smoking marijuana and breastfeeding is just like you taking prescriptions and breastfeeding.

Yes mind your buisness.

1 Like

Everything you have goes through your milk so weed tobacco alcohol along with anything else you eat or drink goes straight to baby but obviously she knows the risks so there isnt much you can do. But thats why you cant take certian medications when your breast feeding

2 Likes

What about second hand smoke though. It is not good. It gets into the babies system and gets him/her high. If mom wants to get high it’s fine but maybe not around baby. Yes it’s her baby but that doesn’t mean grandma or anyone concerned should turn a blind eye. My advice would be for grandma to talk to her and if she doesn’t want to listen she can always report it to cps.

4 Likes

It is insane to me that people are saying her baby her business. Agreed she has the right to make her own decisions. But what you are saying makes zero sense. If you witness some beating their child or molesting their child do you mind your own business? While this may not be the same it is definitely not a catch all of mind your own business. Any second hand smoke regardless of what it is shouldn’t be around a baby. It is actually illegal in some states to smoke in your house and car with a child under the age of 18. This is not the Stone Age. I think common sense goes a long way. To each their own but go outside and smoke if you want to. Not around a baby. I suppose all of you agree smoking meth around your baby and breastfeeding is a great idea too. :woman_shrugging:t2:

16 Likes

I havent seen any actual proof that it could harm the baby through the breastmilk, however, nobody should be smoking anything around the baby. Also, I do believe, at least where Im from, CPS wants all tch products in a locked box, and if you smoke in the home it has to be out a window with a fan on and its never to be done around the child.

3 Likes

Absolutely fine tp smoke abit of weed as a breast feeding mom but to not get stoned af and make sure the child is with someone else while you are smoking. No different then having A drink.

6 Likes

I will do it and take the bby too

I meaaannnnm my doctor had me taking Percocet while breastfeeding and insisted it was fine because only a tiny amount would pass into the breast milk… I don’t think THC is going to hurt in comparison… however second hand smoke and so on, no.

2 Likes

Personally if your gonna smoke weed give your child formula.

5 Likes

What if she gets a bad batch of weed that’s laced with something? It’s selfish to put child at risk for a high. If you wanna smoke, fine but don’t do it while breastfeeding or around the child.

4 Likes

All I know is if they test that baby and it tests positive for marijuana she can lose her baby and face charges. What she’s doing is technically wrong, but also not wrong, there isn’t enough studies on the effects of marijuana during pregnancy and breastfeeding, but it’s still illegal to give to your children and if your baby tests positive for drugs they take it from you so ultimately if it bothers you that much call the proper channels and get the baby put in your custody

2 Likes

Can you smoke weed while breastfeeding?

No, you can’t smoke weed while you’re breastfeeding. That’s because when you smoke or eat marijuana, pot’s main ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol (or THC), circulates through your bloodstream and gets into your breast milk.

2 Likes

Best she can say is " please, when u smoke can u bring the baby to me so they r not around it. I will help.in that way" that is it. It has to run its course

Tell her to mind her own business! It’s not gonna hurt the baby! The smoke should stay outside though.

2 Likes

Just on the off chance it is bad for baby, don’t do it. Why risk it? Different story if she does it to treat a illness / condition.

No one should be smoking anything around a baby as it increases the chances of cot death

3 Likes

I think it’s ok as long as she isn’t smoking in the house near baby.

1 Like

I don’t agree with it at all.

5 Likes

Tell your mother in law to mind her own business. She won’t hurt that baby a bit.

19 Likes

Not your business, stay out of it.

14 Likes

Weed has helped so many problems… seriously. I dont think it would do anything to the baby. Kinda like some women have a glass of wine and still breastfed and baby turned out fine. People need to mind their own business. She really isnt not harming the baby… focus on real actual abuse.

25 Likes

As long as she’s not blowing it in the babies face or smoking in an enclosed area i don’t see the problem

7 Likes

As long as that baby is loved, clean and fed then she needs to drop it.

11 Likes

If you can drink a glass of wine and breastfeed, you can smoke a damn joint.

19 Likes

I’m a smoker myself but I chose to quit while I was pregnant and nursing. I wasn’t comfortable with it, no matter how minimal the exposure was. Their little brains are developing and I just didn’t want to risk it. I’m not sure about the science behind it, that was just my personal choice. I also don’t smoke around my son now at all. I smoke outside when he’s not at home or in bed for the night. Again, just my personal choice and opinion.

18 Likes

I smoke. Never breast fed while smoking ( I bottle fed) I also tried to do All smoking outside ( cigarette too)

1 Like

It will not hurt the baby my mom smoked it when she was pregnant with me 36 years ago and I’m fine.

2 Likes

She should stay out of it before an argument ensues and things get said and then she won’t be able to see her grandchild

10 Likes

She is going to hurt her relationship with her daughter in law way more than a joint will hurt anybody.

12 Likes

It’s just weed I know people who smoked it while pregnant and their babies are completely fine. You can even drink while breastfeeding. Safe to drive safe to nurse. Tell your mother in law where to shove it.

5 Likes

I think they both need to do some research about it and come to their own determinations. Ultimately though, the choice is up to the parents.

If your mother in law is so concerned she can talk to them herself don’t see why she’s dragging you or anyone else into it. I personally don’t smoke inside because my boyfriend gets headaches but a friend of mine has smoked inside for years with both her boys running around and it hasn’t effected them at all other than sometimes the play with the clouds and take real good naps that day :joy:.

2 Likes