My 11 year old told me she is gay, what can I do to help her?

My 11 year old has shared with my mom that she thinks she’s gay because she doesn’t like boys but really likes girls. She’s afraid to tell me. I was raised to accept and love everyone regardless of sexuality so it’s totally not an issue with me. I’ll support and love her no matter what. I guess my question is how can I help her navigate this? She’s only 11 so it could be a phase but how do I convey as a parent that I’ll support her and love her no matter what?
340 Likes

I guess I would start by sitting down with her and talking to her. Let her know that it doesn’t matter to you, & that you’re okay with whatever makes her happy. It may be tricky since she’s young but just let her know you’re there for her if she needs to talk. Just give your complete support so doesn’t feel like she can’t tell you something again

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum.

Support her decision.

3 Likes

Educate , educate, educate.

1 Like

Just tell her you love and support her decision and treat her like she never told you :white_heart: she’s young still anything can change :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Let her know you’ll love her no matter what & that sometimes it could just be a phase, but no matter her decision, you’ll love her always.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say anything coz it doesn’t matter :blush:

5 Likes

Well first off you need to wait for HER to tell you. Your mother broke her trust it wasn’t your mother’s place to tell you.

14 Likes

Be straightforward with her. Tell her you support her no matter what.

1 Like

Let her tell you when she’s ready

2 Likes

At age 11 it’s not a phase. Support her, let her come to you.

1 Like

Just remind her that you love her no matter what.

Just tell her you’re there for any questions she might have and educate yourself. Most of all you have to listen to what she’s telling you and not try to over power her concerns with your own thought process. Just love and support her like you would if she liked boys

Mom girl of 4 girls here. 20-9. I’ve had one of my daughter’s “come out”. I said ok… whatever and whoever makes you happy, makes me happy. Never talked about it since. She was 14 now almost 17 and all we talk about is college and cute boys. Regardless, love her, accept her and respect her.

4 Likes

Keep an open line of communication. Let her come out to you. Educate yourself in the meantime.

2 Likes

Just be there for her, thats it

2 Likes

Just let her know you lover her regardless and she always has your support

1 Like

Tell her you love her no matter who she loves as long as they treat her right

3 Likes

Educate and ask her what she sees as support coming from you guys.

My 12 year old says she’s pan. Anytime she talks about it I’m just like ok. :+1: she hangs pride flags all over the house. Cool. Let her be her. Don’t make a big deal of it. If its a phase it will phase out. If not she will know you are OK with it.

3 Likes

Definitely don’t mention to her that it could just be a phase. :wink: But for real, the same as the above are saying. Make sure that she knows you sincerely support her. Educate yourself as much as you can. I have no doubt in my mind there are plenty of other parents that have had the same question, so I’m sure with some research you could find a good support system. There are probably groups on social media that are dedicated to parents looking for the same answers. Just the fact that you’re already looking for answers shows you care and want to do your very best. Just don’t treat her any differently than you did before. Love her just like you always have and let her talk.

3 Likes

The same thing you do to help if she wasn’t. You love her respect her and support her. You don’t let anyone make her feel less then perfect.

1 Like

This will sound strange but it’s going around the schools.
My 11 year old also just told me he’s gay. Spoke to other parents and an alarming amount of kids from the year 6 class have all said they were gay. (By alarming amount I mean it’s not statically possible because 1 in 3 people are not gay, not that I’m alarmed there might be that many gay kids) There’s no way a third of the year 6 class is gay🤷🏻‍♀️
Yes some kids will turn out gay but not 1 out of every 3 kids.
I just told my son well whatever makes you happy is good with me, I’m not fussed as long as he’s happy.
He’s going into year 7 in September.

3 Likes

You’re not supposed to know. It’s wonderful that you are loving and accepting but you have to wait until she’s ready to tell you. Just keep loving on her like you’ve been doing. But I would tell her you know. If she was ready for you to know, she would of told you. Grandma violated her trust

1 Like

Don’t say anything until SHE tells you. And then just tell her it’s okay. You don’t have to treat her any differently than you would if she was straight.

Dealt with almost the same thing. My almost 11yr old thought she may be bi because she thinks girls are beautiful too. I just talked to her. We came to the conclusion since she isn’t interested in anyone “sexually” (still thinks anything sexual is yucky thank god lol) we don’t know yet but if she is then I have 0 problems with it. Just let her know you love her and support her no matter what. Kids talk about it a lot nowadays. It’s a hot topic with my daughters 5th grade friends :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Tell her exactly what you said, just exactly that. “I will love & support you no matter what”. You dont even have to qualify it or associate it with her sexuality.

6 Likes

I knew in elementary/ middle school I liked girls. It was a very confusing time for me until I admitted it to myself. Just love and support her.

1 Like

Just support her, if it’s a phase then she will grow out of it, if not then you’ll be use to it once she is actually 100% and ready to date.

1 Like

Just do it! Love her! Hug her! Just do it!

Tell her you love her and if she wants to be gay it’s ok it’s her desicion and whatever she decided you will be there to support her

1 Like

You say ‘i love you, I support you’

2 Likes

I would just tell her you love her still and support her and be there for her. Her dating life will be navigated in her own time and probably much like anyone else experiences it

She’ll tell you when she’s ready. Just let her know you love her no matter what . Any questions she has shes free to come to you and you can find out together if you don’t know

I hate to put it this way, but it seems that being “different” is the new cool thing in middle school.

2 Likes

Phase probably. I done that young as well and so did many others I know. Just tell her you love her regardless. You basically just said all you need to tell her.

5 Likes

Love and support don’t make her feel like it’s a phase though. We always said our dream is they find happy healthy relationships and that’s all that matters.

Do what Mandy Sosh says!

Went through this, twice with my girls… I just told them that as long as they are with someone who loves and respects them, and they are happy and healthy, then thats all that matters to me and that Im always here to talk and loving them doesn’t come with conditions. :heart:.

2 Likes

My kid said she’s a chocolate unicorn. Sheesh. She’s a child. Don’t worry about it. She’s too young anyways to be needing to work about all that. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Love and understanding and truly listen

2 Likes

Sabrina L Varesi any advice for this mom?

There’s a chance she could be attracted to both. She’ll navigate it herself. All she needs is your love & support.

1 Like

Love her and be there for her. This is the time that you’re going to have to be mom and friend

Tell her just as you wrote it - you accept and support her no matter and let her know you are always there with open arms and ears if she wants to talk - it lets her know that you do understand and love her unconditionally.

4 Likes

Perfectly normal for a girl her age to like girls more than boys, same for boys her age. Our society has taken “normal” somewhere it shouldn’t be. Too bad children are exposed to all of that.

6 Likes

Do just what your doing❤

1 Like

11 is a hard age as hormones start to design a lady’s sexual attractions. Don’t second guess her.

Pro tip: when discussing a potential gay person the word “phase” is no beuno

9 Likes

My daddy threw me a perfectly awesome daughter party when I didn’t know how to tell him I thought i was gay (I was 12) it let me know I was excepted and loved no matter who i liked. I have the best dad ever hope this helps your daughter blossom into who she’s meant to become :heart:

3 Likes

Just do it just tell her that… she will always be your child regardless you’ll love her just the same that you’ll be there for her no matter what

Crushes around that age are totally normal! Just tell her exactly what you said, that you love and accept her no matter what. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being LGBTQ :black_heart:

My 6 year old says she likes girls so idk

Phase. My 11yo told me to listen to a song that said…I wanna be a boy. She said it was because women have to do so much to be loved and cared for. I had a talk with her about how amazing we were. I will check back with her in a year.

1 Like

My daughter came out at 11 also. I told her at that time that it was perfectly normal and ok to feel that way and i would love her no matter who she chose to love. But at that time i thought she was to young to worry about a bf or a gf. But that she could always come and talk to me no matter what. Shes 14 now and says she thinks shes bi because she now likes both. And im still here supporting her every step of her journy

1 Like

What do you mean help her??? You mean supper her right???

Just tell her you don’t know how to help her but you will figure it out together.

My 9 year old told me she likes girls. I told her that it doesn’t matter, as long as the person she chooses is good to her. That I love her. All of her. Always.

4 Likes

She’s 11, and she has no clue about sexuality weirdo. Just let her be a kid, and support whatever she decides.

4 Likes

Just be there for her , she’s an 11 year old with a changing body , a body full of hormones , all anyone could do is support and listen :heart:

This is awesome and I really love how you’re okay with her telling your mom instead of you :green_heart: This tells me there’s much love and trust in this family and that your daughter can speak freely.

There are some kids books you can order online that touches on this subject. Maybe you could order a couple and leave them out for her to discover.

You’re an amazing mom and it sounds like you have a wonderful family. :green_heart:

1 Like

Honestly we plan to not make a big deal out of it. When they ask to bring a someone to dinner or to meet us gender will be a non issue. But if she is feeling afraid to talk to you about it I would bring it up gently in a relaxed manner so she knows that convo is open.

I don’t think she necessarily needs “help” shes 11 shouldn’t even be an issue at 11

2 Likes

Speak from your heart and just be there for her. You got this momma.

When my 12 year old told me she was bi I said “you’re just now figuring that out kid?! I’ve known for years, I don’t care who you choose to love as long as they treat you good and you treat them good and y’all are happy. You’re my kid, I’ll always love you and want you happy.” I’m also pansexual though and have known since I was a kid that I didn’t just like men. So I knew she was. She’s also decided already that she never wants to birth children, she wants to adopt one child and that’s it for her. Kid just knows what she wants in life lol

1 Like

I knew I liked boys at probably 9 or 10 that was my first “boyfriend” age. So I wouldn’t say it’s a phase necessarily . :woman_shrugging:t2:

You could run the conversation like you know jojo siva is gay. It wouldnt be a problem for me id love just the same. ? Idk if thats what asking

First off get that it’s a phase mindset out of your head smfh… It’s not a phase she’s more than old enough to know what she likes and doesn’t like… Just be her biggest fan it’s hard being gay it’s not all rainbows and unicorns

8 Likes

Um… literally say to her that you support her. What a weird question. My daughter just turned 13 and has shown no interest in boys or girls. But for years I’ve been telling her that I love her and anyone that she loves will be very blessed to have her, girl or boy. And I’ll always be here for her. I support her choice of who she loves rather it the girls or boys.

4 Likes

Don’t try to force it; let her tell you when she’s ready. But after that, just do what you said you’ll already do.

If we would quit sexualizing children so much this wouldn’t be an issue at 11. I remember growing up the most we worried about at that age was school, if our mom found out we acted up at so and so’s, animals, and playing outside. Be supportive regardless, but kids need to be kids. They’re all growing up way too fast these days.

7 Likes

Perfectly normal but first and foremost I wouldnt tell her it could be a phase bc if she truly is gay she may take it as you think she will outgrow it and when she dont she may have issues from that but above all please tell her its ok to be whatever she feels she is and that you’ll love her amd be there reguardless and lastly hats off to you for being the kind of mom that is accepting of it bc people who are gay are born that way it is not a choice in any way research shows we as humans are attracted to mates by smell not like cologne or perfume but the certain pheramones we put off and so if we are attracted to the same sex its bc our brains tell us they are attractive and it sounds like your baby has a great support system so great job

Maybe not address it directly to start with but dropping in the fact that you were raised very open minded about stuff like and maybe once she knows she will be more comfortable.

Exactly what you are saying just accept her for her choices

2 Likes

Don’t tell her it’s a phase, that’s not the right thing to say. Just let her come to you. I’m a gay parent, the only thing u need to say is “ok, I love you, thank you for telling me, what do you want for lunch?”

11 Likes

My daughter is 12 and came out to me a few months ago I honestly said it was amazing and I love her no matter what she chooses then I went out and bought all kinds of rainbow stuff lol she also asked me to get her the lesbian flag and the gay flag so I did that right away im just so proud of her that she felt confident and comfortable enough to tell me now she’s loud and proud about it :rainbow_flag::purple_heart: I did also have a long talk with her about the assholes in this world that won’t except her but I also told her to stand up to those assholes and if she can’t then she knows damn well her momma will :rainbow_flag::purple_heart:

You do not even need to make a big deal about it, we do nothing if our children are straight. what you can do is talk about how she thought you would be mad. Say I am sorry if i said anything to make you afraid to tell me but it does not matter to me who you love! <3

1 Like

It shouldn’t be a problem period. But just tell her that nothing would ever make you love her less. She will tell you when she is ready

Give her proper guidance that she was born a girl and that’s what she’s to learn. My grandson is eleven and doesn’t like girls but it doesn’t mean he’s gay. When he gets older I’m sure his perspective will change as will his hormones. God have us parents to guide us and teach us. He decided our gender before we were born so it’s not up to us to change our gender but to learn how to be that predecidedgender

9 Likes

I’m bi my mom knew at 11 didn’t care … my oldest 15yr old son who has had many gfs has came out as bi liking guys I said “ okay & … ? :sweat_smile::rainbow: we don’t care !

3 Likes

it sounds like you’re doing exactly what you need to be, you are accepting, there, and the same loving dad that you were before she told you. It didn’t change her in your eyes, she’s just your little girl, who prefers girls to boys

I think just listening to her feelings and you really appreciating her trusting you is a great start💜It could be a phase but it could also be who she is. You letting her know that you love her and will be there for her no matter what is also very important

My first piece of advice is do not suggest, or push that it is just a phase. I found out when I was 10. It was in no way a phase. Even if she changes sexualities 100 times over the next 5 years every time just say okay thats great and reassure your love. Given she hasn’t told you yet might mean she just isn’t ready. Keep the conversation open and find appropriate times to remind her. For example if you see a lesbain couple on TV use that as a time to remind her that no matter what you’ll love her and who she loves as long as she’s happy. She’ll tell you eventually. When she does just tell her you’ve known you’ve just been waiting for her to come to you. You got this!

7 Likes

The trash is really showing itself in this thread :face_vomiting:

Wait for her to talk to you personally; that way she doesn’t worry that grandma told you and she doesn’t feel betrayed. When she does then you let her know she’s safe a supported no matter what her choices are. She’s definitely not to young to have a crush or question her sexuality. I did at 10-15 and so have my nieces ages 21, 17 and a 12 year old who has completely sworn off boys all together. Do what is best for your kid mama, and ignore the disgusting haters.

How does an 11 year old know they are gay?

6 Likes

In our house we just always make a point of saying ‘when you’re older and you have a boyfriend or girlfriend…’ since they were quite young. My daughter has already told me she’s bisexual and has had both her first boyfriend and girlfriend, we talk a lot about how you figure out what you want as you’re growing up wether that’s jobs, gcses, cars anything and how our likes change and sometimes become stronger as we grow for instance but we didn’t necessarily make a big deal of when she came out to us because I didn’t want her to feel that way, I wanted it to be as normal as bringing home a boyfriend xx

3 Likes

I thought I was lesbian at the age of 13. It took time but I ended up finding out that im pansexual. I had 0 support and all around a toxic environment when my sexuality was public as a kid. The first thing is to not think of it as its a phase, secondly support your daughter. There’s a chance at her age of 11 now she likes girls but 5 years from now she may feel as if she could have another term(s) in the LGBTQ community. Your support now will mean more than anything. She needs to be welcomed as you said she is at home more than ever because there are some awful people out there that wont show that respect and love in return (such as friends parents etc).

1 Like

Just support her thats all you can do.xx

My child came out to me at age 10. When we were out having dinner. I have always lead by example with my children and have taught them that excepting each individual regardless of sexual orientation, color, religious beliefs, gender, or for any reason. I told her if that was her preference then I am happy as long as she stays true to herself and not try to do what she thinks others will think is “cool” or whatever. Be a supportive parent. Allow your child to speak with someone in the LGBT community for any questions you as a parent may not be able to answer. But more importantly be there for your child.

1 Like

I agree with Christine. Well said!

Why do you need to help her? Just love her for who she is.

2 Likes

Embrace it no matter which way she goes all she needs to know is you are there no matter what

Just be there. Talk to her and do things with her like you normally would if she wasn’t gay

What is she being taught in school? 11 year olds generally don’t think about sexuality.

1 Like

Don’t treat her any different than u already do.

1 Like

My 9 year old daughter asks alot of questions about sexuality and I am very open with her about me being bisexual and she has heard me speaking with her 17 year old sister about it as well.

11 year olds don’t know what they want. They are experiencing. I would definitely not encourage it neither talk against it. She will learn later on what she wants

4 Likes

Follow her lead.
I ha e a trans daughter and I simply let her figure it out.
I tried not to put labels on anything, until she did.
She knew and knows that I will always be her soft place to fall.
That, no matter what, I’m safe for her.
Be very present and continuously reiterate that you love and support her, while she figures out who she is.

5 Likes

Tell her she’s 11 she’s doesn’t need to choose right now, but in the future whatever she does choose you’ll love her just the same

2 Likes