My 13-month-old is biting at daycare: Advice?

Pretend to cry
Place child on ground immediately.
Yell NO

1 Like

Take to doctors to check ears, nose, throat.

Medicate for teething

1 Like

My oldest and youngest were both biters. My oldest I bit her once and she stopped… My youngest on the other hand is different I have bit her and made her bite herself she just laughs and bites again. She will be 2 in a few days. Ive tried the hot sauce and nasty tasting things in her mouth when she bites as well. Good luck momma and hopefully you can figure out what works for ur l.o.

Bite him back… I had too

Get a teething bib for him to wear while he is going through this phase. When he bites or attempts to bite show him how to bite on his bib and be very dramatic in showing him biting bib is good and biting people is bad.

If your child laughs at you, you have more problems than biting

2 Likes

Flick his front teeth really hard! This worked on my 3 kids and 2 grandchildren, apparently we have a family of biters as well!

My youngest was a biter. I bit her back and she stopped.

Did you offer a teether and say you may bite this,but not friends

I work in childcare and we have suggested a biting necklace in the past with good results

Ours stopped when a kid bit her back and left a good bite mark, they don’t know how it feels so they think a reaction is funny - once they feel what they’re doing, they learn right quick lol

At home we used to cry and say ow, she slowed down on it, but still did it, then when that kid bit her, that was that lol

Bite back, it’s an oldie but proven

That worked for mine

Bite him back … it sounds mean but he will learn it HURTS that way.

8 Likes

Teething ring necklace they sell them at walmart u can teach ur child this is what we bite

Um bite his ass back 🤷🤦

9 Likes

I agree bite him back

2 Likes

My kids didn’t understand until i bit them back( not hard but enough to make the say ow) even made them bite themselves.

1 Like

Watch his clues. Its hard. Some kids just do it. Watch him like a hawk and try to intervene before he does it. People get hysterical if they’ve never had a biter. Never say never. Your next kid might be the hitter/biter. Toddlers are unstable creatures that dont have the vocabulary.

2 Likes

Bite him back, make him feel the pain then when he does it again, I would redirect to the teether necklace… repeat several times. Good luck and I’m sure you’re doing a wonderful job raising your baby!

1 Like

Bite him back!! Ain’t gonna learn any other way!!

2 Likes

I would say bite him back I did this as a kid and I was not allowed to go to daycare or preschool my mom had to keep me home because they couldn’t keep me from biting little kids faces I was homeschooled all the way up through kindergarten because of it

Honestly can’t believe people condone hurting their baby (biting back) wowwwww :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

Biting a 13month old back isnt going to teach him. Hes a baby/toddler. They are unstable little toddlers. Go ahead and do it, but it won’t fix it. Watch him like a hawk, its a phase. A horrible phase, but a phase some go through.

5 Likes

It might sound cruel but bite him back.Not hard,just hard enough for him to realize it hurts. Small kids don’t realize biting hurts until they are shown it hurts

2 Likes

Agree bite him back😅

2 Likes

Bite him back hard enough to make it hurt every time he does it

My pediatrician told me to rub my daughters bottom lip on her teeth so she can fill it and after a couple times she stopped biting …

2 Likes

bite back. lemon juice. hot sauce. duct tape :wink:

1 Like

My mom had a foster child that bit people. Only thing that got her to stop was when she went to bite, my mom shoved the child’s own arm in her mouth. She was so shocked and nearly stopped biting almost immediately. Only took a few times after that with some stern “NO’S” to kick it completely.

2 Likes

I might be a faze but I raised 6 kids and you biting them back wrks. You need to explain the biting as you go along

4 Likes

Bite them back. Seriously.

Not hard enough to break the skin or anything but enough for it to hurt so they can associate that biting is painful. Then explain that it hurts when they do it to others, it’s not nice and they shouldn’t do it. I have known several biters and this has always worked. Much faster than any other form of discipline.

2 Likes

Before biting back make sure there’s no sensory issues going on my friends daughter would bite down on things when she was overwhelmed apparently biting helped with it. Since finding out about it they’ve given her other coping techniques and it hasn’t happened again.

It’s not cruel to bite them back, OBVIOUSLY YOU DO NOT LEGITIMATELY HURT THEM. Just enough to show them that it does NOT FEEL GOOD. IMO there’s nothing wrong with it and I personally have had success in using that method. :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

So many people that would bite a baby for baby behavior. Wild.

7 Likes

I bit my son back when he was just under 2…he bit my other child so hard he drew blood. I bit him, bit too hard, but hard enough he understood it didn’t feel good, and he never bit anyone again

4 Likes

Bite him back! It sounds horrible, but it really does work! Worked on all 3 of my kids.

3 Likes

You could try to bite back. While he is only 13 months, he is LEARNING things… you bite him back he’ll learn it hurts and it should help getting him to stop. It might sound cruel, but any situations I’ve had or have read posts about it’s the only thing that ended up helping.
Clearly don’t do it super hard but just enough to get the point a-crossed that doing it hurts.

3 Likes

He is so little still, he doesn’t know that it hurts and doesn’t understand either. Give it time

1 Like

I don’t know how old my little brother was at this time but he bit me on my hand pretty hard and he’s got some sharp teeth. I ran inside and told my mom and she bit him back, he never did it again. I’m confident he wasn’t 13months old though.

4 Likes

Rather than trying a bunch of things try sticking to one thing. Its unlikely to stop the habit immediately but consistency is key.

Keep doing what you are doing. My son was a biter but grew out of it in three months. I never bit him back.

2 Likes

Bite them and use hot sause

3 Likes

Ugh my first was like that with just me. I tried everything and ended up having to “bite” her back. It was enough of a shock factor that she stopped biting me!

6 Likes

Bite back,but not to hard.just a little to get your point across that should work fine ,but again just a little please be careful

4 Likes

Wow, honestly cant believe all the parent shamers in this group. If you’re not giving advice, you should really keep it moving :v::v::v:
My one and a half year old isnt a biter (aleast not yet) but if he did bite me or anyone else, I’d bite him back. Obviously dont bite hard but they need to understand that it hurts.

18 Likes

I know it sounds odd but my daughter when she started biting I bit her back and then she didn’t buy any more so you might want to try that I know they say that you know doing the same thing to them teachers and that it’s okay but it’s not though if it hurts. They will get the gist

1 Like

Keep in mind biting back may backfire…it may not even phase him and give him the impression it’s ok to do it because you just did it to him.

2 Likes

It’s a phase, a terrible one at that. Best way to stop him, is bite him back. It make take a few tries, but add a little more pressure each time so he feels the pinch. Good luck

2 Likes

Giving “safe things” to bite, sometimes helps. You could even attach a teether with a pacifier clip maybe

Mine went through this with her molars i would stick her own hand in front of her mouth so that she would bite herself instead of me. She does it still sometimes when she gets super mad

1 Like

I dont get the whole bite them back thinghow are u suppose to teach a baby something is not right by you doing it.

2 Likes

Tape their mouth … :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
I’m joking!! Lol

Stick to one thing n redirect constantly.
My Littles went thru this too.
It sucked but itll pass.

1 Like

My father ended up having to bite me back before I stopped when I was little he tried everything else but he said I bit him one time really hard and he bit back and that solved the problem. He didn’t do it hard but enough to show me that it didn’t feel good.

3 Likes

You could try over exaggerating the pain it inflicts on you. Saying ouch loud and then crying and putting him down make sure he knows you dont want to be near him with this behavior

Currently working through the same situation with my 1yr old the advice I was given was saying no bite and using the sign language for it , turning away from the biting child and giving comfort and attention to the one who was bitten saying things like I’m sorry (blank) bit you I know it hurt and redirecting with toys tethers etc it seems to be working so far he went all day Friday at school with no biting when he was biting previously 2-4 times a day. I know it’s hard but stay strong mama❤️

I bit my kid back. She stopped. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Bite him back! Not super hard obviously but enough to grasp his attention. My son bit me one time…one. I bit him back and told him no and he hasnt since

3 Likes

Punch him square in the mouth next time
He’ll quit.

17 Likes

Bite them on their fingernail but not super hard. It doesn’t leave a mark and it’s a sensitive spot and they will get the hint that it’s not nice and it doesn’t feel good to be bitten. My daughter did this and I tried everything and my Mom grabbed her fingernail and bit it and my daughter never bit anyone ever again.
My daughter is 18 now and no psychological problems came out of it js

4 Likes

Got some A+ parents commenting on here.

Do not use soap, hot sauce, duct tape, pepper or any other item of that nature.

Do not bite the child back.

It is a phase, the biting is because the child has a need/wish/want that they cannot express. Biting the child back will not resolve this issue in a healthy positive way. It will do psychological damage, whether you understand/see that or not.

Closely monitoring the child to see when/why the biting is occurring. Are they frustrated? Wanting a toy another child has, trying to do something but they are unable to figure it out/complete task/do. Are they hungry? Is there something medically going on, aside from teething? Something else causing them pain/discomfort/irritation.

Redirection, talking, giving appropriate chewing items, snack, etc.

15 Likes

I ended up having to “bite” my daughter back. Just enough to show her “ouch! It hurts. Its not funny” and i didnt have any issues after that💁

1 Like

Besides biting our daughter back lol we gave her a bite ball which is considered a stress ball for us. We keep it sanitized at all times and the ball has really helped.

1 Like

Use some lemon juice on his lips they use to do that in the older days.

Bite back, it’s stops them real quick. Plus you don’t want your kid biting people and getting some illness or disease

1 Like

Bite back🤷🏻‍♀️ My oldest was horrible at biting…until I bit him back and it showed him that it hurt.

One of my friends was a biter til her mom bit her back, same with my dad his sister bit him back. Don’t hurt the kid for fucks sake but I guess enough that they can understand what they’re doing.

My daughter went through a biting phase. I tried everything, even biting her back. None of it worked. She just simply grew out of it.

My son did this. And dont shame me on this but when my son bit I bit back he hasnt bit me since and he still bits when he gets over whelemed with alot of other children around

6 Likes

Bite him back so he knows how much it hurts… worked with my daughter lol

1 Like

I bit back maybe twice and it stopped.

1 Like

I bit my son back after he bit me a couple times and honestly it never happened again. Plan on doing the same with my daughter when she does it. I really feel like they don’t realize that it hurts until they feel it. You don’t have to bite hard, but just enough that they understand.

3 Likes

That is a cry for attention. My child got teeth at 3 months old and has never once bit me or another child. Babies need attention and he’s trying to get yours! :rage:

12 Likes

He’s old enough to know that hurts . bite him back . it only took one time an both my kids learned not to do that . i don’t even think my daughter ever did .

2 Likes

My son bites too… only me and I’ve got it reduced. I say “ow! Biting hurts.” Put him down away from me. He cries and has a tantrum and I tell him “I dont want to (insert activity) when you bite” and then ignore him. Then usually he calms down and we can resume. I also gave him a tether when he first started and then he knows what he can bite. Sometimes he will bite something else instead of me so I think uts working.
I am struggling with this during bed time and naps. It is not fun.

Bite him back.

Simple as that.

7 Likes

Omg that’s what they do,

Cry, fake cry, make him understand it causes pain. It’s how I got both my girls to stop. After about the 3rd time of doing it they cried too, and then I explained it hurt, ouchie, cured them both pretty quickly.

2 Likes

My son and daughter both had bit me as kids and I’ve tried anything and everything to try and get it to stop and nothing. So I bit them back just enough so it was felt to let them know it hurts when you bite others. And bam no more biting.

7 Likes

My daughter only bit me…and after the third time I bit her back and we never had an issue again

4 Likes

We swatted her butt over the diaper a couple times, hasn’t bit anyone since. :woman_shrugging: BTW, before anyone goes calling CPS, we never swatted her hard enough to even mark. She just gets her feelings hurt easy, so this works for us. If you don’t like it, too bad. Go be judgy, “better” parents somewhere else.

36 Likes

Do not bite him back! Babies/toddlers learn behaviors from their parents especially. Biting him back will show him “it’s okay to bite since mama does it.” I’m currently going through this problem with my son as well. He is getting better each week though, I bought “no biting” books and read them to him several times a day. I explain biting is for food. Also, I watch him closely before he’s going to bite and I stop him before it happens. I constantly remind him biting is for food not people. So far, it’s been working. Good luck!

8 Likes

I bit my daughter back and she never did it again, and same with my son.

4 Likes

My son did this I bit him back also . Not hard but hard enough for him to know how it felt …he did it one more time after that to his cousin who was 12 and I told him bite him back . Not hard hard but enough so he knew it hurt …he never did it again

1 Like

Bite back just enough to hurt once or twice. He will quit

Yep i bite back.
Never happened again

2 Likes

When I was a kid I was a biter so my mom bit me back stopped me really quick. Biting back works.

3 Likes

When my son wouldn’t stop biting I’d just dip my pinky in apple cider vinegar mixed with water and put it in his mouth, he stopped after 5 or 6 times!

2 Likes

Teething , others invading his space , not able to use his words correctly yet, and sometimes kids are just biters … I’ve been in childcare 16 years and this is just part of parenting. You are doing nothing wrong as a parent. I had a child that when their parents came I. Would have 8 sometimes more incident reports from biting . They were at their wits end and so were we . Some kids are just biters . She grew out of it thankfully

2 Likes

I will also say… it’s not a cry for attention :roll_eyes: my first child was a biter . I did bite her back and I bit her hard . She never bit again . As a childcare provider’s we cannot bite them . As the parents you probably don’t see it because the type of setting you are in . In a daycare setting the kids are taking toys, hitting , screaming, biting, and it’s overwhelming to all to say the least . So if the child has found something he or she likes and another child just keeps on annoying the child he or she will eventually bite , they are done , fed up , and they cannot say that !!

5 Likes

Well I’m going to take it old school how my Puerto Rican mother use to discipline if it was cursing biting she would right after take hot sauce the every spicy one and put it in our mouth trust and believe I never or brothers and sister ever did it again but like I said that’s the old school way lol

3 Likes

I always bit my kids back!
I had one that liked to bite all the time finally I bit her back! That was the end of her biting anybody!
Sounds mean but it worked for me

2 Likes

It’s a phase and might be a difficult impulse to curb. He is not being bad, he just can’t help himself. I would try to find something it is ok for him to bite and redirect. You can use the same method with hitting and throwing. It worked wonders with my daughter.

“We do not bite our friends/mommy/daddy. If you need to bite, you can bite this toy”

2 Likes

Get his attention by biting him back! It works every time!

2 Likes

Bite her back to show her how it feels.

1 Like

I ignore my son when he bites. I tell him we don’t bite! Owies! Hurt mummy!
I put on this big dramatic act and then turn my back on my son. He will usually get upset over being ignored so he links his biting behaviour to me ignoring him and that has stopped the biting for us

4 Likes

If u show them how it feels and that it hurts they stop

I know it seems hard to say “bite them back” but one day my daughter bit me so hard that I bled, and I bit her back hard enough to make her cry and she hasn’t bit anyone since.

This may be unpopular advice but bite back!
My 2 year old was biting her brother and sister leaving marks and nothing worked at all, then finally I said I cannot take it no more and bite her. She hasn’t bitten since.

2 Likes