My 14-Year-Old Daughter Started Smoking: Should I Kick Her Out?

QUESTION:

"My daughter just turned 14 and has admitted she’s started smoking. Her friends all do it, and they also do drugs.

She refuses to listen to any advice I or anyone else tells her, except for the advice from her friends. So I told her if that’s the path she has taken, to pack her bags. I can not take much more of her disrespect.

It seems the only way for her to learn is to deal with the consequences. Am I wrong in doing this? She won’t accept help from anyone."

RELATED QUESTION: I Am Struggling to Quit Smoking: Advice?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“She is 14. Honestly, I would be putting my foot down and grounding her, no friends, no phone, no bedroom door, and she has to earn back trust and responsibility. That’s the first thing I would try anyway.”

“Pretty sure you can get arrested for kicking your kid out at 14. Especially if anything happens to her. I have a 13-year-old daughter. Some call me strict but she doesn’t have any need to be out running around to do those things. You are the parent and in control. If you can’t handle her there are people you can call for help.”

“If that is your solution then there are obviously other problems in this home. I started smoking around that age and stopped before I graduated from HS. You’ve already lost all of her trust in you by telling her to pack her bags. You made the decision to be her parent, you don’t just get to up and quit because she decided to try smoking. Grounding her will do nothing. Punishment will only make her resent you more. Have a calm conversation with her. Don’t raise your voice. Don’t be condescending. Don’t threaten her. Actually listen to her. Take in what she is saying, even if it is criticism. Parenting takes communication, from both sides.”

“Pack her bags and go where? The streets? Just because she thinks she’s grown doesn’t mean that she is and the odds are not in her favor of not selling her body or ending up on drugs.”

“You need to try a different approach. Take her to meet people that have ruined their lives from smoking and drugs. Show her what she could end up like.”

“No, you cannot give up on her. You are the mother, she is 14. Ground her, don’t let her go out, don’t let her stay at home without you. Take her electronics, change her schools if you have to. Fight for her. It’s ok if she does not like you.”

“You give up too easily. She just turned 14. You should still be the boss of your house. Take her phone. Turn off the Internet. Remove her door. Put locks on the windows. If she runs away, call the cops. If she doesn’t learn her lesson, they have alternative schools. In Michigan, if youth girls behave badly enough they go to Vista Maria. Don’t kick her out, that’s a weak move for a mom. Parent her! Be her mom!”

“I have a 20-year-old son with whom I’ve always had a good relationship. Mutual respect. I found a coke can in his washroom with a butt and assumed it was my husband. Until I asked him and he said no, not me. I asked my son if it was him. He admitted yes. I told him ‘Listen, you’re a big boy. You know how I feel about smoking.’ I went thru all the reasons why he shouldn’t smoke but said if you’re going to do it, don’t do it in my house. I told him I was disappointed. A few days later, I teasingly asked him if he needed an ashtray for his back deck… He said ‘I gave the cigarettes away mom. I couldn’t deal with your disappointment.’ A good relationship goes a long way. Kicking your daughter out at 14 for smoking is a bigger problem then her smoking itself if you ask me. Nothing in this world would make me turn my back on my children.”

“She’s 14!! Be a parent! Set rules, consequences, follow through. It is illegal to toss out a minor. If she won’t listen, that’s when you get help from authorities.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

841 Likes

Pack her bags and go where? The streets? Just because she thinks she’s grown doesn’t mean that she is and the odds are not in her favor of not selling her body or ending up on drugs.

28 Likes

While I understand the frustration… She is 14. I couldn’t imagine living on my own at 14. Shed be homeless.

9 Likes

You need to try a different approach. Take her to meet people that have ruined their lives from smoking and drugs. Show her what she could end up like

19 Likes

Kicking her out isn’t going to stop her from smoking or being a teenager. Sometimes kids have to learn the hard way. Set rules for IN YOUR HOME but ultimately she is going to do what she wants outside of the home.

12 Likes

Shes 14.
Try showing some kindness instead of my house my rules. That’s why shes rebelling l.

9 Likes

It’s actually illegal to kick your child out at 14.

6 Likes

Send her to an alternative school or rehab of some sort. I pray for you and I will not be like some people and judge you. But you do have the right to steer her in the right direction

6 Likes

Just PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN. Don’t kick out a child. Teach them and show them why their making a bad decision.

4 Likes

Have you tried a scared straight tactic or maybe talking to the school resource officer. I know when I was in middle and high school when I tried acting out if it wasn’t for the resource officer helping me and guiding me I would’ve gone down a completely different path

2 Likes

At least she isn’t hiding it from you. Maybe set up some firm rules and stick to them. :woman_shrugging:t2: Require lots of supervision. Don’t give her any freedom for a while.

3 Likes

My mama woulda whooped my ass and I wouldn’t be going near those buddies.

No as long as she has a place to go.

1 Like

Dude she’s 14! Tell her she’s grounded go through her stuff and make sure she’s not hiding anything make her do chores keep her from her bad friends do activities with her to keep her mind off of the bad stuff I can’t believe you would think it’s ok to kick a 14 year old out

18 Likes

Honeslty coming from person who started smoking at a young age, i think 15. Trust me kicking her out will probably make her try other stuff to resent you. And cigarettes will be the least of your worries. When I got caught I was grounded, went to school, came home, no friends, no phone, no life. I started to get a life back but I had a strict curfew my parents checked my breath, my clothing, everything to see if I smelt like smoke. Trust me she will come around, I sure did fast bz i hated being on lock down. I was free before that to do what I wanted but I disrespected my parents rules and had consequences. I learned really fast. Try that approach, shes 14.

9 Likes

Kicking her out is not going to help anything . You’re not supposed to give up on her you’re supposed to be there for her and be her mom , not kick her out when she starts doing things teenagers do. You’ve been a teenager before , would it have helped you to be abandoned by the person that was never supposed to give up on you?

2 Likes

Um she is 14. :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:. Their are many option you have before you throw a child out on the streets. You can contact cps for help. There is always therapy, guidance counselor at school, your local job Corp. there are so many option out their. Don’t give up on a child

6 Likes

What exactly do you think is going to happen to her if you kick her out? How is that gonna solve anything smh

3 Likes

No wonder she smokes. You want to kick your child out at 14, shows a lot about your parenting and her home life. you are a piece of shit

I’m…yes you are wrong. You cannot kick a 14 year old out. If she needs help get her help. Give her consequences for her actions, teach her, be a parent. Just beacuse you are frustrated or don’t know how to handle a sertian situation doesn’t mean you can kick a child out and wash you’re hands with the situation…

7 Likes

I’ve been smoking since I was 13. Im 35 now. I try daily to convince myself to quit and if I could go back to the days I started before I created this stupid expensive, deadly habit I would smack myself. I thought I was cool than too cause my friends did it and I wanted to fit in. I didn’t know what I was creating

5 Likes

Pretty sure you can get arrested for kicking your kid out at 14. Especially if anything happens to her. I have a 13 year old daughter. Some call me strict but she doesnt have no need to be out running around to do those things. You are the parent and in control. If you cant handle her there are people you can call for help.

39 Likes

You kick her out and you push her down that path only.

3 Likes

Sit her down and have her chain smoke as many as it takes until she pukes. She’ll stop.

Kicking her out shows she can’t trust you and is a very bad idea. Also, get her on birth control ASAP

2 Likes

Have you tried asking her why? Communication makes a big difference…

6 Likes

Where exactly is a 14 year old going to go if you kick her out? I promise kicking a 14 yr. Old out for smoking will only push her further down a more dangerous path. If her friends are doing drugs who do you think she’ll turn to if she’s kicked out? Smoking will be the least of her problems at that point. She’s 14!

23 Likes

Best way to make her definitely start drugs more and get in to doing illegal shit for sexual favours… Get rid of her friends

No, you cannot give up on her. You are the mother, she is 14. Ground her, don’t let her go out, don’t let her stay at home without you. Take her electronics, change her schools if you have to. Fight for her. It’s ok if she does not like you.

18 Likes

Do what they did in the olden days. Sit her down and make her smoke a pack back to back in front of you. She will be so miserable and sick of it. Just an idea.

3 Likes

Haha I was 15 when I moved out of my parents house and 16 when I got pregnant. Try talking to her and dont be so intense lol

9 Likes

She is 14 honestly I would be putting my foot down and grounding her no friends, no phone, no bedroom door and she has to earn back trust and responsibility thats the first thing I would try anyways.

91 Likes

Wtf kind of mother are
You?!

13 Likes

She’s 14 and you told her to pack her bags… seriously. :woman_facepalming:t3::roll_eyes: #momof6teens

7 Likes

Take it from a mama that let those awful words fall out of her mouth and paid the price…don’t deny your child their home. I don’t know the answer to deal with this or any upcoming issues, but you’ll regret kicking her out. Don’t put your need for respect above your child’s need for shelter, food, and protection.

18 Likes

What’s kicking her out going to do? She’s 14…you’ll get in trouble and it’ll just be funny to her. She her what happens when you smoke. Drugs. Etc. Drive her through a shit ass neighborhood and let her see what it’s like when you play around.

Not a good plan! My mom kicked me out when I was 15 for the same reasons. I ended up getting pregnant and having a baby, whom i adore, but then I just got deeper into drugs and was a meth addict for 15+ years. I’m sober now but still, Dont kick her out no matter how fed up it is or how hard it gets. She’s too young to have to suffer those kinds of consequences.

12 Likes

Tell her to smoke a whole pack. One after another. And don’t give in stand there and watch her. And when she says she is sick tell her to to finish it. Will teach her a lesson

9 Likes

You probably should kick her out because if your solution is to kick a 14 year old out of your house, i feel sorry for her having to live with you.

13 Likes

Might need to have more heart to heart talks

1 Like

You cannot toss your 14 yr old out of the house. That is called child abandonment.

12 Likes

You are going to tell your underage daughter to pack her bags and get out because of disrespect? There are other ways honey… yikes

7 Likes

You have to get her out of the environment and away from those kids.

4 Likes

Every child tries smoking… I started at 13 and quit at 28. You force her out say goodbye to your mother daughter bond of any kind… Be support not the enemy. You dont have to like what she does but dont kick her out for it. Make her purchase her own tobacco which she cant due to age.

4 Likes

Where is she getting the money for cigarettes and drugs? Expensive habits.

5 Likes

She’s 14 where she getting the cig or the money to buy. For pete’s sake put on your adult panties and be a mother to that kid make some rules and if you can’t send her to a camp for incuragible kids you put her on the street your loose her to the drugs and sex that’s not an option

14 Likes

Kicking her out isnt going to do anything but get her interested in even worse things than smoking. I was this 14 yr old and the more someone tried telling me not to do something the more i did it. My suggestion would be to scare her. Make her watch videos on what smoking does. Show her pictures of lungs of a smoker or nasty teeth. Make her watch and education video on it. Then ground her ass. And put her on tight watch. No leaving no friends nothing.

Buy a 40 pack, and tell her to smoke the lot in front of you, she will sure cut it out then. Also if she starts drugs drop her at the cop shop with drugs in hand, that’s what my father threatened to do to me if I ever did drugs whilst I lived under his roof.

2 Likes

She’s 14!! Be a parent! Set rules, consequences, follow through. It is illegal to toss out a minor. If she won’t listen, that’s when you get help from authorities.

9 Likes

When I was young I got busted for stealing my dad’s cigarettes and he went out and bought shit ton of cigars made me in hale all of them till I threw up I never touched cigarettes again

You can be charged with child abandonment and such if you kick a child out. She’s not old enough to live on her own or even get a job, so yes you are wrong. Parenting isn’t easy and kids tests parents all the time, doesn’t mean give up on them.

5 Likes

Your not supposed to give up on your kid.

11 Likes

I started at 8 years old. My dad ultimately kicked me out at 16, but I was able to get a job and have my own housing etc. Im 24 and have my life on track. 14 isnt old enough. When he first found out, he immediatrly involved law enforcement I “promised” to quit blah blah blah im for your decisiom just not at 14 it can blow up in your face too so before shooting to last resort seek legal help for your child

Yikes, she’s 14. That’s still young. She can’t even get a job. You need to just put your foot down. No phone or computer or social media. No time with friends. Show her real life stories of drug and tobacco users. Help her understand why this isn’t a path she wants to take.

2 Likes

Try doing family therapy. Most kids are starting to try things around that age. It’s not an excuse nor does it mean it’s ok but it’s normal for kids to push limits and do what their friends are doing. Stick with a punishment and be firm. But don’t abandon her

1 Like

You give up too easy. She just turned 14. You should still be the boss of your house. Take her phone. Turn off the Internet. Remove her door. Put locks on the windows. If she runs away, call the cops. If she doesn’t learn her lesson, they have alternative schools. In Michigan if youth girls behave badly enough they go to Vista Maria.
Don’t kick her out, that’s a weak move for a mom. Parent her ! Be her mom !

11 Likes

She’s 14.

Stop letting her go out.

Take things like electronics, her phone, etc.

Giver her chores.

You dont just say oh you’re smoking, ok get out…

Find an after school type of activity and enroll her, explain to whoever is in charge that she isnt allowed to leave without you then drop her off and pick her up right after.

If shes in school put her in online classes or pick her up and drop her off.

Its not easy but it is doable.

7 Likes

U should go to the juvenil court and ask for help . They will guide you

YOU are the parent. Ground her ass and take away everything and make her earn it back.

Don’t do it mom. Trust me I have raised 2 the same way. Keep her so close to you even tho you probably want to kill her.

2 Likes

Or you could just be a mother and toughen up…there are more solutions then giving up and kicking her out

6 Likes

Lay down the law
You are her mother! I dont care if my child HATES ME as they say now a days but atleast i know deep inside im doing right by stopping the Nonsense.

Ground her
Dont let her run to the streets you could potentially regret that even tho thats a moment of anger… breathe

Send her to me. She’s 14 and you are her mother. Don’t send her out of the house. Take everything away from her and let her leave bedroom door open. No friends allowed no leaving the house except for school. Have a laddle waiting for some spanking

1 Like

Well it’s your house and your rules

Guess she no longer has freedom!

You Are the adult and it’s your house. If she can’t respect your rules then i agree she can get to stepping! These young people smoking start because they are insecure and think it’s going to make them look cool.

2 Likes

Egad, she is 14! Sooo common! It’s not easy but hang in! Get her involved with something I used to take my kids golfing, water skiing, swimming! Taught them fun skills, even fishing! It helps I was a single mom with a very high profile job too somehow you make it!

4 Likes

Kids these days are gigantic monsters. Especially teenagers.

Pack her bags? At 14…wow

3 Likes

Yeah push her awaym lol she will only get closer to her druggy friends and end up doing drugs… Not the best idea

2 Likes

My daughter tried all kinds of ways to make me mad and see if she can get me to push her away. Some kids want to be part of the “thrown away” crowd, like it’s a badge of honor or something. I think the best thing to do is to constantly tell her you don’t approve of the behavior or the friends attitudes and think she deserves better in her life, while still treating her like she is the smart responsible person you have tried to raise her to be.
Nothing seems to piss a teenager off more then not getting their way, so don’t give in to the fight. In the end she will ultimately have more respect for you because you didn’t give up on her even when she was at her worst.

6 Likes

You need to talk to her!
Smoking is a cry for help!!
How can you say that to a 14 year old child??
What else are you saying to her that she needs to smoke?
Nobody starts to smoke if they have peace, understanding and a good home!
She is going through hell, obviously!
You need to be her friend, and even if you haven’t been, you still can!
She needs you!
Be there for her!
Make her feel good in her home!!

2 Likes

Yes you are wrong… I started smoking at 14 too… yes its an awful habit but I can think of waaayyy worse habits that are sure to visit your daughter if you kick her out… listen I know my opinion doesn’t matter but I can tell you from personal experience that horrible things happen to 14 year old kids who are trying to live on thier own… my parents used to tell me they would kick me out if I got pregnant… I thought I was pregnant and decided to leave… I went all the way across the country and had more horrible things happen to me then you can even imagine… I was 14 too… in the end my parents were the only ones that truly had my back and they helped me through all my other issues… just food for thought… if you need any more info please private message me…

So probably no the best option, but when my mom found out me and my sister were smoking weed, she told us not to be doing it at other people’s houses cause we could get hurt, and told us she would rather us do it in her house where she knows we would be safe… probably not the best thing, but we never got hurt, we never got forced into trying drugs we didn’t want to try, not to mention everyone thought my mom was awesome and wished they were her mom, and she also regulated it so we couldn’t just be stoned all day every day

You are her parent. Parent her!
She is 14. She can’t get a job, drive, or take care of herself. In most states that’s considered neglect.

You have to put your foot down. No more friends. No more going out. No more fun.

6 Likes

Don’t send her out. You’ll lose her forever. Or she’ll come back pregnant.
Stand your ground. Toughen up. Once you take her phone, you take her life line…

2 Likes

The child is 14 and YOURE THE PARENT FFS. Putting aside the fact the kicking out a 14 year old CHILD is absolutely illegal and will land you in a cell if anything happens to her. She is your responsibily you don’t get to walk away when it gets hard. Honestly the fact that you even consider that an option makes me think it’s probably your fault she is the way she is. You are in charge. Separate her from these “friends”, pull her out of that school if you have to. Monitor your child. She can’t smoke if she doesn’t have access to cigarettes. And it can’t get worse if you actually take control and BE A MOM

7 Likes

To be honest, all you can do is accept what she’s doing because at the end of the day she’s gonna do what she wants anyways. Reason being, is life lessons she’s gonna have to learn on her own. She wants to smoke, teach her to pay for things like that herself. Money don’t come easy, you gotta work to get what you want. Kicking her out is just gonna force her to rebel, hate you and never trust in you again. As long as she knows you don’t condone things like that from her in your house then let her do it and you won’t be supporting her habits.

3 Likes

I believe you should build your support circle a little more and bite the bullet and set some boundaries… if you are at the point of kicking her out, you obviously aren’t worried about hurting her feelings. Seems like she is trying to get your attention.

Be the parent. Kicking her out proves you’re lacking as one. Don’t let her hang out with those friends. Don’t allow her to have any money to purchase them. Punish her for doing it but not kicking her out shes a kid.

3 Likes

Therapy now or you are going to lose all control.

Tough love. Try everything you ARE the parent.

Then boarding/military school.

2 Likes

So you’d rather let your 14 year old live on the streets and likely turn to drugs, than to just deal with her?

2 Likes

To and from school. No friends, no phone. If she runs away call law enforcement. Eventually she’ll get the point that you are the parent she is the child. Also get her into therapy. She’ll be pissed but she’ll get over it.

1 Like

cut off all money and phone with strick curfews

1 Like

Brutal but hey your house your rules make her get a job and don’t give her any money teenagers are going to do whatever they want it’s a losing battle IV been thru this with my teenage son he’s still a great kid he works full time pays us rent but he is not aloud to vape or smoke in front is me

14??? Spank her ass, ground her, stand your ground and do it now, before ita too late

Pack her bags? At 14? :flushed:

2 Likes

does she earn her money or is she entitled

I wouldn’t be kicking her out. I’d be supporting every way I could. Sit down and talk, it does wonders.
Maybe there’s something going on for her?
I know I was the same. I was naughty, I smoked, drank etc. from 12. I lived with my Nan. The more she tightened her reins the more I rebelled. But unlike you she NEVER thought to kick me out. She eventually realised all I needed was someone to help me. She started sitting down and talking with me. She took the time to be attentive. She explained how my actions made her feel. Sure I still got in to trouble and I hated it. But she also talked to me and she also listened to me too.
I still smoked and she allowed it because if I was going to do it, she couldn’t stop me.
I quit when I turned 21 and never looked back. I had (and still have) the upmost respect for my Nan.

5 Likes

Sounds like she needs you now more than ever coming from a mom who also has a 13 year old daughter

2 Likes

Honestly that’s not parenting. You don’t give up on a child?! 14 year olds make dumb choices. It’s your responsibility and job to correct behavior and make a solution. Ground her. Pull her out of in person school. No electronics. No friends. Volunteer in a hospital that shows her real life lung cancer struggles. Volunteer in a nursing home. Do chores. Parent isn’t just a noun, it’s a verb.

9 Likes

That would be considered neglect…so yes you would be 100% in the wrong! You’re her parent she legally can’t refuse help. Get her into counseling or something before she turns to hard drugs like her friends.

As a child who was out at 13. Smoking is the least of your worries. Rape pregnancy death of drugs or the life style. You kick her out you have to live with the fact you may never see her again. And all of the above could be avoided but would be on your hands.

3 Likes

14 seems young but maybe I am biased as my husband was diagnosed with lung cancer at age 21 and died at age 34. Hell would freeze before any one of our kids stuck one of those in our mouths. 14 isnt even legal age to buy cigarettes so I would say she’s not old enough to make that decision for her…and NO not all the kids do it. Smoking is on the decline thank God. I wouldn’t wish the issues that come with smoking on my worst enemy- Sincerely a widowed mom of three kids
under 10.

1 Like

She sounds like me as a kid… I got bad into drugs and things only got worse and worse … Take a look at your home life and be honest with yourself… Are you providing her a safe home? Has she had trumatic experiences that haven’t been resolved? What kind of reasons could she be acting out? Have you tried getting her in counciling have you been there for her emotionally or just the “bad guy”… Don’t kick her out that’s a sure fire way to get her on drugs and messed up! If anything your failing her … I hung out with people doing drugs and smoked cigarettes because I felt unsafe at home and those were the people who listened to me and related to my experiences! Take a good hard look at yourself…

5 Likes

Yes you’re wrong!
You don’t turn your back on your child, wtf is wrong with you?!

2 Likes

She is 14 and you are legally responsible for her. If you put her out on the streets you can be charged with abandonment. There are organization out there that can help you work through this. I started smoking at 12 because it the thing to do. After awhile I had no friends left because of it. Stand strong and be there for her.

1 Like

My dad made me leave at 13, this is NOT the route to go. I never went back after and lived with my mom, still don’t have that good of a relationship with my dad and it’s been 6.5 years.

1 Like

Think of things to give her to do, to take the place of wanting to smoke. Activities, hobbies, job?

I started smoking at 14. My parents didn’t kick me out. I’m 37 now. I still smoke but I also have three wonderful kids, two master’s degrees, and one amazing husband. I absolutely wish I hadn’t started. But if my parents had kicked me out there’s no telling where I would be in life.

2 Likes

There’s too much going on and too many kids going missing for you to send her to the streets. I was 16 when I started and my mom wasnt happy but she was a smoker. I was a mouthy teenager but I kept my grades to honor roll. My mom would buy me liquor and cigs because she would rather me do it at home than in streets where it wasn’t safe.
Maybe try to reason with her. Nobody knows your kid better than you but I promise you giving up isn’t the answer.

1 Like

Uh no… if it was my kid they’d have no access to social media period. No more hanging out with anyone. Go to school come home. If school is continually the issue . Home school. Shes 14 not 16 or 18. You are the boss. Kicking her out sets her up to ruin her whole life

3 Likes