My 15-year-old daughter is pregnant: Will DHS really get involved?

My 15 yr old is pregnant too and I was told cos would be notified but since my daughter told her obgyn that the dad was her age I haven’t felt with them yet and she said that was weird because she’s 15 they want to make sure she wasn’t raped or molested. Unless they are waiting to pop up once the baby is born

2 Likes

I had a baby at 16. No one got involved but again that was 14 years ago

1 Like

My daughter also was pregnant at age 14 and a half.they never came into our life’s.at all.so that was in Ohio.if they do it will be to find out if she was raped or willing.

i got pregnant with my daughter at 15 had her at 16 and didnt have any problems

Only was CPS would get involved was if child say she was raped and she name that person.

I got pregnant at 15, DHS was not involved at all. Maybe is the state that you live in?

I had my daughter at 15 and DSS did not get involved. This was 21 years ago though

I got pregnant with my first child at 15. No dhs involvement. Of course,that was 14 years ago…

I think the nurse is just trying to cause problems

7 Likes

These days everything is different

1 Like

Get in touch with a lawyer and ask them

1 Like

i was gonna say just that lol! now u have to notify

Yes dhs will get involved only cause of her age. But if a parent is involved then you will have no problem.

Nothing they can do unless it was incest

i deal w these calls every day…so here’s what i know, she has to report it, cps will get involved just to make sure it wasnt rape, or w an adult, etc…they will b involved till shes 18 unless she emanicipates. all docs appt must b kept, and mom is responsible for daughter n baby…not sure there whats d legal age to consent to sex or for the parent to consent for child to marry under age w adult. the’yll pretty much offer her tons of support resources and leave her alone unless there is a problem or the docs appt are not kept etc…

2 Likes

I got pregnant at 14 and CPS or anything like that never got involved.

4 Likes

Depends on what state you live in.

6 Likes

I got pregnant and had my first baby at 15. CPS was never involved, idk how other states/counties work tho. But there should be no reason for it. I’m in Ohio btw.

2 Likes

I don’t have an answer for this. But whatever comes about through this, I hope she gets the care she needs and her and the baby are safe and with their family through this. Sending love and light to the OP.:heart:

2 Likes

They will get involved . Prepare your self . It’s not fun

3 Likes

Depends on your state and consent laws/ages. I really doubt though anything would happen unless she is positive for illegal drugs.

2 Likes

The nurse doesn’t have to report that. However if she suspects the pregnancy was a result of sexual abuse, she must.

12 Likes

I was pregnant at 15, had my daughter at 16. And my family was not obligated to notify DHS/CPS. That sounds odd to me. Was never involved with the state in that way ever through out my pregnancy except for help with WIC.

1 Like

They just want to monitor and make sure shes receiving the care she needs. And help educate her. In my opinion they have no right to get involved unless shes on drugs or living on the streets. Or has history with the police. If her initial bloodwork shows drug use they will get involved.

2 Likes

I can’t answer this question but I send prayers, good vibes (whatever you believe in) that everything goes well for your daughter and your family.

4 Likes

My daughter had her son at 14. The only time anything was done was after he was born, a social worker came and talked to her to make sure she wanted to keep her son.

2 Likes

I got pregnant at 16 had my son at 17 and no one said anything to me. Also depends on the age of the guy

1 Like

They have to report if she’s under the age of consent.

2 Likes

My oldest was questioned by CPS when she was pregnant to make sure it wasn’t rape or anything.

2 Likes

Went Thur it with my daughter if it like mine they question you about how u feel about the pregnancy and make sure she wasn’t raped or anything we had one meeting and then was basically done with them we laughed at then the whole meeting

3 Likes

So I had kids at 15,16 and 17. They showed at the hospital just to ask me if I felt safe at home and if I had everything I needed. Never heard from again.

9 Likes

Do not listen to them idc wha thg doctors say it’s none if their damn business what they gonna do is try taking the baby

4 Likes

I got pregnant at 16 and CPS was never involved.

1 Like

Possibility they will but if u have a good stable family environment and no history of domestic abuse they will back of good luck xx

2 Likes

I have never heard of this. Investigate it more. Unless the father of the baby is an adult or she told them she was raped.

1 Like

Not sure where you’re located but that may be part of the reason the doctors office had to notify them. I had my daughter at 15. No involvement by children’s services at all. I’m the hospital during delivery I was asked multiple times by various staff members if I was safe, if I felt threatened, if I had consented to the relationship that led to me being pregnant. Pretty much any time I was alone someone asked. .which I don’t see as a bad thing.

4 Likes

They will go after the father of the baby? she is under age.

1 Like

I got pregnant with my son at 15 over 10 years ago and had him at 16. Never once did anybody even mention the term CPS. It could just be the laws in your state. I’m from Virginia. But good luck with all the amazing times that is to come with having a new baby in the family! Having a baby so young is extremely challenging but it won’t stop your daughter from following her dreams. Congrats grandma! :heart:

1 Like

When I was 15, I became pregnant, and I never had to notify DHR or CPS of my pregnancy. I do live in the state of Maryland though, so it may vary depending on the state.

1 Like

It really depends especially what state you live in. I pray all goes well❤️

1 Like

Depending on the state you live in, she is under the age of consent, so it is possible.
DHS is so busy they may not pay much attention to your case.

1 Like

I mean I was 13 and pregnant and CPS/DHR was never contacted

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of that what so ever. 🤷

1 Like

I got pregnant at 17 and nothing like this was ever done, just had my daughter a few months ago

1 Like

They’re probably investigating cuz it could be considered statutory rape. Big safety thing

4 Likes

I’d google the laws for your state

1 Like

No, no reason for them to get involved

1 Like

I got pregnant at 15 in Indiana. Dcs called everyone (my mom, me, the dad, and his parents) for a meeting basically to make sure I wasn’t raped. They acted like they were going to pursue neglect charges for my mom because apparently you’re supposed to look at you children 27 hours a day for ever even when you have to work 3 jobs to make ends meet. Nothing ever came of it though

2 Likes

My sister in law is that same age and currently pregnant as well. CPS is involved with her case. I dont know how much and if there is still involvement but I know that at some point they were

1 Like

Trying to establish the age of the father since she’s a minor.

3 Likes

Like most people said, I’m not sure where you are located because that could make a difference. But I’m in Oregon and I had my son at 16 and that never happened, my mom had 3 kids (me at 13, one at 15, and one at 17) and she never had to do that either.

2 Likes

I’m not sure they can ; do you currently have a cps active case or history ? I think that would be the reason for that involvement .

I’ve never heard of this before…I know this girl that got pregnant at 13 by a 24 year old man and nothing was done about it

5 Likes

In NC the age of consent is 16 so a law was broken if she’s pregnant

1 Like

I never heard of any teens having to report their pregnancy to CPS :face_with_monocle: this is weird lol are you sure it’s the health care workers that weren’t against her having a child so young that they want CPS to take over? I’m sorry but this just sounds weird as hell to me

1 Like

They’re not going to take the baby unless there’s a reason to do so, don’t freak out. They’ll ask some questions, mainly about consent, feeling safe at home, etc. They’ll ask if she needs any help and likely offer services such as food stamps, child care, and birthing/parenting classes.

2 Likes

Uh, no. I got pregnant at sixteen and has no issues and never had to make contact with CPS.

2 Likes

It’s a common thing when a minor is pregnant. They want to make sure she wasn’t raped and there is no neglect in the home since she is so young, and want to make sure the father isn’t over 18. Also everyone saying they didn’t report it to cps, duhhh. The office/hospital does. I worked in an OB office and we reported all teenage pregnancy’s. I live in Indiana.

4 Likes

At our office we notify in case the teenager is being mistreated by her parents because of the pregnancy, to make sure the teenager isn’t hurting herself in any way (to cause a miscarriage or such, due to depression, etc) or because it may have been the result of statutory rape.

2 Likes

Once they establish that she isnt pregnant due to: incest, rape, sex trafficking…etc. They will close the case. There were so many cases where hospitals/clinics failed young girls who were victims. Don’t think it is mandatory in every state yet.

7 Likes

I live in oregon and that’s not how it is here. Had my first at 16 and CPS was never involved.

2 Likes

They will get involved if they suspect whoever got her pregnant was older or if she became pregnant from sexual abuse. Not saying that’s the case, I’m just answering the question.

I knew someone whose 13 year old daughter went to go spend the summer with her dad and came back pregnant. Because of her age, the hospital had to report it DHS. Policy. They made a few visits,interviewed her and some family. Then they backed off. I think really they just want to make sure that there’s no abuse or incest or anything nasty going on.

1 Like

I can assure you the only reason they will stay on your case is if they find evidence she was abused at home. If it was a dumb boy from school you will be cleared and the case will be closed. It happens, kids can be sneaky.

I think it possibly could be to make sure she isn’t pregnant by incest and or rape. If she isn’t on drugs and has family support and a safe environment they will back off after doing initial checks or possible just after bub is born and doing well

1 Like

I was 14 and pregnant never had to speak to cps

2 Likes

Never heard of them getting involved. They didnt when I was 16. My daughter is now 18. Weird they would even mention it and do that. Good luck everything will work out.

1 Like

They are interested in finding out who the daddy is and his age. Making sure no crime was committed.

3 Likes

Unless something was said by the daughter to the nurse, she shouldn’t be calling CPS.

1 Like

I’m in Arizona and I knew three sisters that all got pregnant before they turned 14 and their mom was a drug addict they didn’t call DHS I’m them so i don’t know how to help you or know what will happen

1 Like

I think it also depends on the fathers age I think they want to know that

The case will be focused around the dad and your daughter to be sure it was consensual and she is safe once they see that they will leave you guys alone. Just cooperate itll be over fast. Super inconvenient especially right after finding out your daughter is pregnant… sorry you are dealing with so much!! Stay strong. You’ve got this!

4 Likes

I was pregnant at 14. They never came in on my mom. I’ve now got a 22 year old.

2 Likes

I was pregnant at 16 & CPS never was involved.

1 Like

In Ohio 15 is legal age of consent and nothing can be done. Not sure what state you are in but I’d contact an attorney before anyone talks to them.

1 Like

I also was pregnant at 15 and they never got involved either course that was 42 years ago!!! I had a beautiful baby boy that I love more than life itself he passed away when he was 18 but I never ever regretted having him he was precious to me!

5 Likes

At least you were trying to find out and be there for her cps shouldn’t have to be called they should listen to your side of this and be glad your there for her

1 Like

I worked at a family practice clinic until a few months ago, and in august or September, we were informed that any sexual activity by anyone under the age of consent, needed to be reported to CPS. I assumed it was a new guideline or law.

3 Likes

I was 12 and got pregnant no one ever got involved even my doctor wanted to call until he heard it was consensual.

I got pregnant at 15 and they didn’t get involved…

they will inform as the child is under the legal age of consent as can be classed at statutory rape or rape.

I actually have heard of this. There was actually a case in our town where I live that the daughter was 16 and her boyfriend was 19 + with parental approvement live in their home. The boyfriend and girlfriend were engaged but the school contacted CPS and the state actually brought charges against the boyfriend for him being over age. He has to register as a sex offender

2 Likes

I got pregnant at 15 with my first son and they were never involved

1 Like

I got pregnant at 14 and had my son at 15. I never went through that .

I was too and nobody got involved. You might want to talk to your daughter and see what she said In the room. Because the nurse or anybody can’t tell anyone by law hippa not unless they suspect a crime was made.

3 Likes

I got pregnant when I was 14… Never had anything involved with CPS. I’m about to be 22 now with 3 kids.

Tbh all you gotta do is tell them it’s none of there business.

We can get involved if the child is under the statutory age so at 15 it must be reported as a neglect case against the parent, usually does not get opened to an active case unless there are other issues

4 Likes

My daughter was 16 when she got pregnant. Never had to report to anyone.

They might look into just to make sure it wasn’t the result of rape it what they did for me (mine was due to rape). After they determine if it was or not then they leave you alone.

1 Like

That’s a crock of shit never heard of them getting involved in a teen pregnancy good luck getting them off your case they are awful people

4 Likes

You might wanna call a lawyer and ask questions because I’ve never heard of that before. Not saying it isn’t a thing and that some states are different but I’ve known a couple 15 year olds that got pregnant and nothing like that was ever done and 1 girl, he bf ( the father ) was 18

2 Likes

Probably just protocol. They might not even reach out to you guys tbh.

1 Like

I can tell ya now if it’s the state of Michigan CPS doesn’t know how to do their jobs… cps has had to be called numerous times on my step kids mother and they’ve done nothing. ( allowing 6 year old to play with knifes and cut his wrist open when doing soo. Her fiancé abusing the kids) list truly goes on and they’ve done nothing.

2 Likes

Probably because she’s under the age of consent.

Must get reported do to age. Just incase the child was sexually assaulted most times they just close the case if nothing is founded.

1 Like

I was pregnant at age 15, but back in 1983 there was no CPS for such things.

I got pregnant and had my first son at 17. DHS was not involved.

1 Like

If she was raped that’s different but you can’t keep your eyes on teen 24/7 unless you got them on lockdown that is not parent neglect don’t let them fool you I seen way to many things happen to good people but you got parents on meth and it’s ok

1 Like

I believe it depends on which state you live in

1 Like