My 3-YO Is Obsessed with Gaston from 'Beauty and the Beast': Should I Be Worried?

QUESTION:

"My three-year-old daughter is super in love and obsessed with Gaston. She loves him in the movie, is GOOGOO over any storybook with pictures of him, dressed as him for Halloween, and even met him at a character meet and greet in which she was so infatuated by him so much she couldn’t talk or make eye contact with him but weeks later still talks about it 24 7 as if it was love at first sight when they met.

She has his Barbie and took it to show and tell at school. Now my question here is, why is a three-year-old obsessed with a bad boy villain? She clearly knows he is a villain and town bully, but she vows to marry him one day.

We let her play and make it clear that he is vain, selfish, jealous, and in no way a good personality fit for marriage, but is it time to crush her hopes and dreams of being with this fantasy hot mess, or do we just make it clear he is a villain and let her outgrow these feelings for him on her own?"

RELATED QUESTION: What age would you allow your daughter to dye her hair?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“Honestly she’s 3. Give her a year and she’ll be obsessed with something new.”

“Well…
No one’s slick as Gaston
No one’s quick as Gaston
No one’s neck’s as incredibly thick as Gaston’s
For there’s no man in town half as manly
Perfect, a pure paragon
You can ask any Tom, Dick, or Stanley
And they’ll tell you whose team they prefer to be on…”

“My 3-year-old daughter is convinced she is going to marry Aqua Man… not if I get there first, sis!”

“My sister literally thought she was a dog until she was 5…my 4-year-old has spent the past year saying the Octonauts and PJ mask characters are her best friends…she “plays” with them all the time. She knows they aren’t real. Just be glad your kid has an imagination in today’s world.”

“Ok, so she’s three. She will have no recollection of this and will not require family counseling.”

“My 3 year old wants to be a dinosaur, she roars and stomps when she gets mad and says she’s going to eat us. She 3, she has an imagination, I don’t believe my kid is going to grow up wanting to be a dinosaur for the rest of her life. Let her be a kid.”

“She’s 3 years old! Calm down! Let her be a child for goodness sake. By saying he is all the mean things about him (which yes I know are true) could affect her and she may not be as open with you about what she likes when she gets older. Bless her, she’s only diddy, let her be a child and enjoy what she likes. I loved Gaston as a kid, a lot of girls do but we grow out of it. She’s too young to know what to like specifically in a man…she just loves him because he is her favorite character.”

“I mean, it’s a fictional character. She will outgrow it. My 3-year-old is obsessed with the Hulk to the point his favorite color is green and he wants to grow up to be in SHIELD.”

“She’s exploring her interests. She’s 3. The way she perceives things is completely different from how you do. Villian to you, but maybe the star of the movie to her. Don’t worry, she’ll have a new obsession soon enough.”

“I wonder how much more emphasis you’re drawing to the situation by talking to her about it so much? Just let it be. It seems to be a trigger for you for some reason, but you don’t have to project that trigger onto your 3-year-old.”

“She is 3 let her be. She does understand the character flaws yet. He’s just super entertaining. She will outgrow it.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

144 Likes

Not trying to judge but… She’s three the way she perceives something versus what you perceive will be different. Just let it go…

15 Likes

SHES A. KID don’t make her grow up before she’s ready, let her enjoy things as a kid before shit gets real… like come on with everything going on in the world of rather my 3 yr old be obsessed with a character than be worried about what’s on the news

Honestly she’s 3. Give her a year and she’ll be obsessed with something new

30 Likes

Shes 3, she wont see him as a villain and even if she did is it really such an issue? Its not going to affect her in anyway.

3 Likes

She’s literally 3. Chill😂 it’s called she will grow out of it and be obsessed with something else. Also …I love the Joker…I have many kawaii cube plushies and figurines of him. Doesnt mean i love crime. Just like the character.

4 Likes

Ugh why is this an issue. He wouldn’t marry her anyway :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: he knows he is too good for a 3 year old.

5 Likes

Give it time she will outgrow it before u kno it

Villains need love too :smirk:

3 Likes

Let it go…she will outgrow it and be obsessed with something else soon lol

She’s 3. I am sure she will outgrow him. :joy: This goes to show parents put wayyyyyy to much thought into toys and characters versus what small children do.

2 Likes

She’s 3, she’ll outgrow it. And even if she doesn’t why does it matter. He isn’t real…

She’s 3… You’re looking way to much into this 🤦

6 Likes

Hey when i was 3 i was OBSESSED with Johnny Bravo. That wasnt appropriate either lmao

1 Like

She’s exploring her interests. She’s 3. The way she perceives things, is completely different from how you do. Villian to you, but maybe the star of the movie to her. Don’t worry, she’ll have a new obsession soon enough

2 Likes

I think it’s adorable. Let her imagination run wild!

2 Likes

I personally wouldn’t be worried about a 3 year olds view on life partners

2 Likes

i was in love with jesse james the bank robber, doesnt mean i want to go rob a bank anytime soon…shes 3…she will out grow it

2 Likes

She’ll be just fine. My daughter, who is now 16, had a thing for David Hasselhoff when she was 3 and 4 :laughing: He did a cameo in The Spongebob Movie. We tease her about it now. Just let her imagination take her away! This age and innocence doesn’t last forever! Soon she’ll be a moody teenager and you’ll long for these days back! I know I do!

1 Like

Who the hell is gaston ? And I’m sure she will grow up out of it

4 Likes

Gaston isn’t even that bad hes very normal and tame compared to “villains” technically hes not even a villain but goes against the interest of the deemed "good characters " of the movie.

She’s a baby. Baby’s don’t see things the same way we do. She might enjoy the fact that his voice is so deep… Nothing to worry about. She’s happy. That’s all that truly matters.

1 Like

Let that baby be a kid

1 Like

She’s 3 years old :joy::joy:

1 Like

I loved Gaston when I was little. Stop worrying so much. She’s fine. She’s 3…

1 Like

Can you blame her! Look at him :heart_eyes::drooling_face::joy:

15 Likes

I had make believe friends named Addie, Refrigerator, Stove, & Pedal. I turned out okay lol.

2 Likes

Leave her be. The villains are my favorites too.

I loved billy bob thorton when I was little. Lol she’ll be fine

3 Likes

I understand how you feel.
When my oldest daughter was four she vowed to be a firetruck when she grew up.
Yep, I thought so too. Fire woman?
Nope, just the truck.
Anywho, she’s almost 13 and doesn’t remember all the damn sirens I taught her.
:joy::raising_hand_woman:t2::joy::woman_facepalming:t2::joy::woman_shrugging:t2:

My daughter is 4 and is currently obsessed with Fred from scooby

I wanted to marry chucky at that age…
She will out grow it I promise!!!

2 Likes

She’s alright. She will find a new obsession as her interests grow. You can tease her about it when shes 15.

Maybe show her the descendants movies on Disney Plus

She is 3 :joy::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

She is 3 let her be. She does understand the character flaws yet. He’s just super entertaining. She will out grow it.

1 Like

Ok, so she’s three. She will have no recollection of this and will not require family counseling.

4 Likes

Shes 3 years old! Calm down! Let her be a child for goodness sake. By saying he is all them mean things about him (which yes I know are true) could affect her and she may not be as open with you about what she likes when she gets older. Bless her, she’s only diddy, let her be a child and enjoy what she likes. I loved Gaston as a kid, a lot of girls do but we grow out of it. She’s too young to know what to like specifically in a man…she just loves him because he is her favourite character xx

2 Likes

She’ll outgrow it. I was in love with plenty of “villans” from movies when I was young, and outgrew it.

This is a joke, right? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

I’m more concerned about YOU… that you would be worried about this!

8 Likes

This is normal… I was in love with David Bowie

3 Likes

OMG you and husband need to let your daughter be a young child this happens they grow out of it

4 Likes

My sister literally thought she was a dog until she was 5…my 4 year old has spent the past year saying the Octonauts and pj mask characters are her best friends…she “plays” with them all the time. She knows they aren’t real. Just be glad your kid has an imagination in today’s world.

6 Likes

Let your 3 year old be 3. Stop trying to make something out of NOTHING! :woman_facepalming:t2: geez :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I think it’s pretty normal for her age lol. I used to think I was in love with Johnny Knoxville and I vowed that Steven Tyler was going to be my first kiss when I was younger (sadly did not happen.)

2 Likes

Did I really just read this :joy::joy: I mean shes 3 for goodness sakes.

2 Likes

Its absolutely fine. She’s three.

Wow…she’s 3. I highly doubt she is making lifelong marriage decisions now. I wanted to be a semi truck at that age.

3 Likes

And there’s a license required to fish…but not have children

6 Likes

When I was a little kid, I had the biggest thing for jafar from aladdin. I outgrew it and so will she. It’s no big deal

Beauty in the beast is about finding beauty within.

My 3 year old wants to be a dinosaur, she roars ans stomps when she get mad and says she’s going to eat us. She 3, she has an imagination, I don’t believe my kid is going to grow up wanting to be dinosaur for the rest of her life. Let her be a kid

3 Likes

You are reading way too much into this…
My daughter wanted to be a pony at 3

I loved the Beast lol I turned out mediocre :joy::joy: some mental issues but I’m sure it doesn’t have anything to do with that :joy::woman_shrugging:t2::tipping_hand_woman:t2:

I wonder how much more emphasis you’re drawing to the situation by talking to her about it so much? Just let it be. It seems to be a trigger for you for some reason, but you don’t have to project that trigger onto your 3 year old.

2 Likes

My son was obsessed with Mickayla Maroonie(?) the Olympic gymnast, for years. It is a phase she will move past it. He grew out of it. Its always fun to have crushes and what not. Let her have her fun.

Are you for real right now :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

The documentary, Mickey Mouse Monopoly: Disney childhood and corporate power, was a huge eye opener for me. I would definitely recommend that all parents with little ones watch it.

She’s 3 I think she’ll be fine. I had a thing for prince and his assless chaps and I don’t walk around in them…I think she’ll be ok

1 Like

When I was 5 I convinced my mom the cript keeper was my boyfriend like I had a Skelton Halloween decoration and had to watch his show… This guy :point_down:… No need to worry

3 Likes

My 3yr old would act like a dog so I think she’ll be fine lol

1 Like

If you are concerned why you taking her to meet and greet and buying her the costume???

6 Likes

My daughter was obsessed with Branch from Trolls. Same thing dressed as him for Halloween, had dolls, tshirts even asked me to cut her hair like his lol. She’s 5 now and obsessed with princesses. Don’t worry too much

Show me a woman who hasn’t looked at a bad boy a time or two lol.

4 Likes

My 3 year old is obsessed with Frozen
Threw a fit when we had to take off her Elsa costume

I always liked the bad boys, but ended up marrying a wonderful man. She’s 3… she’s fine.

1 Like

Seriously? This is what people are asking for advice? When I was 3 I was obsessed with Mac n cheese? I don’t eat it now, and it caused me no harm back them. Focus your time on something else.

2 Likes

Cant help who ya love, even at 3. Let the poor girl love Gaston. Besides dudes got some MUSCLES and nice teeth ya gotta admit

6 Likes

Well…

No one’s slick as Gaston
No one’s quick as Gaston
No one’s neck’s as incredibly thick as Gaston’s
For there’s no man in town half as manly
Perfect, a pure paragon
You can ask any Tom, Dick, or Stanley
And they’ll tell you whose team they prefer to be on

:woman_shrugging:t2::joy:

28 Likes

My mom said I had a crush on Jafar when I was little🤷‍♀️. Just a phase.

1 Like

:thinking::thinking::thinking: Shes 3 yrs old. Give it a year or so and she’ll be obsessed over something else. I honestly wouldnt worry about it

We all like a Gaston at one point in our lives, if she can get it out of her system at 3 she’s ahead of us all lol

Why are you talking to a 3 year old about what’s a good husband :joy::rofl::joy:

3 Likes

When I was 3 I was convinced that Jareth the Goblin King was the man I would spend the rest of my life with. Jareth, the baby thieving, teen girl obsessed, giant cod piece wearing, turns babies into goblins, Jareth.
Full disclosure, I secretly held onto that hope most of my life and my husband and I did name our son Bowie. But my real husband has never banished anyone to the Bog of Eternal Stench, turned glass orbs into snakes, or trapped anyone in an oobliette and is a really incredible and kind man, so it turned out okay.

5 Likes

My grandson always went on he was married to the cat …just a kid with a wild imagination will out grow it years from now you all will laugh about it

It’s fine. I was obsessed with Jack Nicholson as the Joker when I was a kid. I grew up to marry a very sweet guy.

My daughter is obsessed with Gargamel from The Smurfs! It’s completely normal. Kids don’t know true evil yet. To them these are just shows and characters.

Omg are you seriously that concerned? She’s 3. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Is this obsession not fueled by you as parents! Man some people are sure as heck dopes

Gaston has a lot of good qualities too. He’s just hot lol too but yeah if shes a smart girl she’ll be fine. No need to worry shes only 3 no need to man bash a fictional character.

Omg this can’t be serious🙄

5 Likes

No one hits like Gaston
Matches wits like Gaston
In a spitting match nobody spits like Gaston
I’m especially good at expectorating
Ten points for Gaston. I can see the appeal of Gaston.

4 Likes

Leave her alone. Maybe she’ll be the first woman who changes a man, after all we have a female VP now.

I’m still convinced I’ll marry AJ from BSB

1 Like

My daughter is equally as obsessed with all the characters from Aladdin and she’s 11. So, like… it is what it is. She knows a good looking guy when she sees one. Same, girl. Same. I found one and married him. Lucky for me he isn’t a villain!
(Buuuut you may want to tell her the abs don’t last no matter how hard you wish it. :roll_eyes:)

1 Like

I had a crush on Montgomery Moose from The Get Along Gang when I was little. You will be glad to know that I did not grow up to marry a moose. She’ll be fine. :wink:

2 Likes

She will out grow it. I was in love with a forty year old married man when I was 6 or 7.

Come on how many villains did we swoon over lmao. They’re unnecessarily hot :hot_face: sometimes :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Is this real life or am I having a stroke :joy:

2 Likes

She is 3 She will be fine. Dont worry to much

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: you have a long time before you need to worry about her crushes. Shes 3. My daughter is 3 as well and i can tell you, yours will be just fine just like mine. Is this your first merry go round with children?

3 Likes

I mean Gaston is hott so…:joy:
Don’t worry, she’s not paying attention to his personality she just likes to look at him and probably loves it when he sings. I had a crush on him too. :joy:

2 Likes

Is this a serious question? :exploding_head::exploding_head::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Oh I’m worried…but not about your daughter. Yikes.

4 Likes

You realize Gaston is a fictional character, right? She’s just going through little crush phase. Lots of little girls do. It’s nothing to be alarmed about.

3 Likes

She’s three, lol cut her some slack.

2 Likes

My 3 year old daughter is convinced she is going to marry aqua man… not if I get there first sis :merman:

14 Likes

You tell your daughter those things about a character… yet somethings wrong with her and not you? :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

You forgot the 1 before the 3 in 13…oh wait, you were fucking serious…🤦🤦🙄