My Boyfriend and I Disagree with His Ex About How to Punish Their Daughter for Sneaking Out: Advice?

QUESTION:

"My boyfriend’s daughter, who is 15, recently snuck out of the house, leaving us all to believe she was missing. Only to show back up at 7 am with two boys she barely knows. When she came back, she told a lie after lie about where she had been and what she had been doing all night.

Her mom is very lenient on her punishment, and my boyfriend is firm and told her she needed to quit her job, lose her phone, all of her privileges at his house (tv, going to any fun extracurriculars, computer unless it was for school, etc) and focus on school. Her mom disagrees with quitting the job and is only taking away her phone as long as she feels like it.

My boyfriend stipulated for six months or more for her punishment. Because her mom does not agree with all of his rules, his daughter has gone to stay with her mom for an extended amount of time because she is still allowed to work and has more freedom. How would you react? What do you think is an adequate punishment?"

RELATED QUESTION: What Is a Good Punishment for Teens Who Snuck Out?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“Dad is too extreme. Mom isn’t doing enough. They need to meet in the middle.”

“Quitting her job isn’t a suitable punishment. Jobs are a responsibility. That’s ridiculous to ask of her. That’s like saying ‘you’re grounded, don’t go to school.’”

“Making her quit her job is weird to me. Usually, jobs require you to have some sort of responsibility and to me, that’s important.”

“I don’t agree with quitting her job and 6 months is super harsh… she’s a teen… they’re going to make mistakes… just my opinion.”

“Six months is too much, quitting her job is too much. And this is between them, stay out of it.”

“Making her quit her job is insane. I’d stay with my mom too. And I agree with mom here. Six months for sneaking out isn’t an okay punishment. She’s gonna learn nothing from being holed up for 6 months. After a month or two she will retaliate. She learns nothing at that point.”

“I think taking her job away is a bit much. She would be grounded from everything else and can go straight to school, work, and home.”

“I’m going to agree with the majority here and say having her quit her job doesn’t make much sense and the punishments are coming from a place of anger which will only cause her to rebel more which will only make things worse. She will be on her own in a few short years so having respectful and meaningful discussions about what curfews are appropriate and what behavior is and isn’t appropriate, and expectations that include her thoughts and input on them might work better? Kids are often more apt to comply when they feel they have helped set the rules or at least gotten some slack in the way of monitoring. I’m not saying let her be out at all hours of the night but you don’t want to have so much control over her that when you’ve lost responsibility for her she ends up going off the deep end and lacks good judgment and responsibility. Just my thoughts.”

“You’re JUST dad’s girlfriend. You don’t handle it at all. It’s between her parents. By the sounds of it, you’re probably part of the problem. You’re trying to interfere in her life as a parent when you’re not. She’s acting out because of it. Know your lane & gtfo of theirs.”

“She has a job, making her own money, make her pay her own phone bill or if she does already y’all can’t take that. She’s trying to grow up and do grown things, treat her like an adult, not a child. She probably lies because y’all still trying to treat her like a child when she’s trying to prove she is growing up. You’re just going to push her away instead of trying to understand why she’s trying to be grown. I’d go stay with the other parent too, y’all are doing too much. Trying to control every single thing she does like quit her job? That’s stupid! Take her phone for 6 months?? What happens if she gets stranded on the road? Sounds more like you are trying to control her more than her own parents… stay in the girlfriend’s place, you are not her parent!”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

24 Likes

Sorry it’s not your child it’s his it’s up to mom and dad

6 Likes

why ask her to quit her job? other privileges like taking away phone yeah.

2 Likes

I don’t think quitting her job should be part of the punishment . She will only find more trouble. The rest seems fair.

7 Likes

I don’t think making her quit her job is the answer. I’d make her still work, take the cell phone, if she wants another one then she needs to work for it amongst anything else she wants. Only let her leave for work

3 Likes

I think taking her job away is a bit much. She would be grounded from everything else and can go straight to school, work, and home.

6 Likes

Let her go to mom’s, it will eventually bite her in the ass when her daughter takes advantage of her not being more assertive in her punishments

Making her quit is job is weird to me. Usually, jobs require you to have some sort of responsibility and to me, that’s important.

15 Likes

I don’t agree with quitting her job and 6 months is super harsh…she’s a teen…they’re going to make mistakes…just my opinion :two_hearts:

10 Likes

I don’t see why she’d have to quit her job. How would that look oh from the age 15 - 18 you’ve had 20 jobs, why is that? Oh every time I got in trouble my dad made me quit. :roll_eyes: All that is between mom and dad, if you’re not married you have zero say so in any of it.

12 Likes

Quitting her job isn’t a suitable punishment. Jobs are a responsibility. That’s ridiculous to ask of her. That’s like saying “you’re grounded, don’t go to school.”

20 Likes

She wants to act grown give her grown responsibilities?

1 Like

Dad is too extreme. Mom isn’t doing enough. They need to meet in the middle

59 Likes

I wouldn’t have her quit her job that’s showing a bad work ethic, and she should have her phone at work just in case of an emergency just take texting and internet off of her service plan. If there is court ordered time for the dad he needs to enforce that she stays with him during that time she can’t just run away from the consequences of her actions

6 Likes

Quit her job unbeleivable and six months is very harsh no wonder she went to mums. Fair enough ground her for a week and you need to let dad deal with this stuff not you not your child

7 Likes

I am sorry but making her quit a job is way over board. She should keep the job and loose other privileges

6 Likes

Quiting a job looks bad for future employment

5 Likes

Hope she stays at mom’s.

6 Likes

I don’t think she should have to quit her job. That’s not a punishment so much as over controlling.

3 Likes

Don’t quit her job, she should ONLY be allowed to be at WORK and SCHOOL then take away her paychecks and keep the for her. When she’s off punishment give her the paychecks and the phone

3 Likes

I think you should allow your boyfriend and the mother handle it.:wink:

14 Likes

Not gonna lie… if my 15 year old snuck out I’d be furious. Phone taken away… privileges … now the job issue… I would only have her quit if her grades were shit…
I wouldn’t have her quit her job for being in trouble.

She has a job, making her own money, make her pay her own phone bill or if she does already y’all can’t take that. She’s trying to grow up and do grown things, treat her like an adult not a child. She probably lies because y’all still trying to treat her like a child when she’s trying to prove she is growing up. You’re just going to push her away instead of trying to understand why she’s trying to be grown. :woman_shrugging:t3: I’d go stay with the other parent too, y’all are doing too much. Trying to control every single thing she does like quit her job? That’s stupid! Take her phone for 6 months?? What happens if she gets stranded on the road? Sounds more like you are trying to control her more than her own parents… stay in the girlfriends place, you are not her parent!

6 Likes

Well seeing as it is your BOYFRIEND’S daughter with his ex, I’d mind my own. The 2 of them need to be adults and come to mutual terms instead of showing the child that they are divided.

3 Likes

Dad is to extreme. Why would you have a kid quit a job grounded yes take the phone for 30 - 60 days

1 Like

I’m going to agree with the majority here and say having her quit her job doesn’t make much sense and the punishments are coming from a place of anger which will only cause her to rebel more which will only make things worse. She will be on her own in a few short years so having respectful and meaningful discussions about what curfews are appropriate and what behavior is and isn’t appropriate, and expectations that include her thoughts and input on them might work better? Kids are often more apt to comply when they feel they have helped set the rules or at least gotten some slack in the way of monitoring. I’m not saying let her be out at all hours of the night but you don’t want to have so much control over her that when you’ve lost responsibility of her she ends up going off the deep end and lacks good judgement and responsibility. Just my thoughts :woman_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

Quitting her job makes 0 sense as a punishment

4 Likes

I’d go out my feet up have a snack and say nacho mamma let them deal with it. Been there learned not my problem.

3 Likes

Don’t make her quit work but, everything else Dad is doing an amazing job. Don’t tell her and when she visits start her punishment. Tell her that she can either do the 6 Months punishment all at once or she can do the 182 (roughly) days in little bits but, she’s going to do it none the less.

All you people bashing her saying it’s not for her to get involved she clearly says that her boyfriend has picked these punishments

4 Likes

I wouldn’t make her quit her job. That teaches responsibility and how use her own money. Take away phone privileges while at her dad’s and extra fun stuff. Make her do extra chores for a few days too. 6 months of any punishment is outrageous. Nothing more than a week since it’s her first time running off

2 Likes

I think u should mind ur own business. Let her mum and dad sort it.

9 Likes

Personally no quitting the job andI think taking the cellphone away is dangerous. I’d probably switch out her smart phone for a flip phone so she can’t be on social media but could still call for help if need be. 6 months is probably to long but my kid is little so idk

4 Likes

Quit her job? No she needs to stay at her job and I would take her phone but give her a flip kiddle phone that only call 911 & mom & dad

2 Likes

For those that doesn’t see why “she should quit her job” maybe cause they are afraid she might use “working” as an excuse to go out. I knew a few girls back in high school that would tell their parents they are at work when in fact they were not.

4 Likes

Quitting her job is teaching her all the wrong things. Taking the phone away is also just isolating her. As is trying to punish her for 6 months. Adult criminals are punished less. Monitoring her phone and picking her up and dropping her off to the places that are good for her such as her job. I think mum’s on the right track but would suggest more monitoring such as a family link on the phone.

5 Likes

Quitting her job is too much, in my opinion. What will happen when she goes to get another job and they call her previous employer? :neutral_face: Six months is extremely harsh. It sounds like he wants her to live like she’s in prison, as a mother myself, I wouldn’t let my kids dad ground him for six months. He’s over the top with his punishment. I’m glad she’s gone with her Mom.

2 Likes

You should be taking away privileges not responsablities. Her phone, her freedom to roam and hang with friends yes her schooling and job No

3 Likes

Let her keep the job, taking away someone’s ability to make money is abuse, hard to believe but it is. The rest I see no problem with. Maybe 6 months is a bit of a stretch so I’d just say until he feels she’s earned it back.

2 Likes

OK I think dads going overboard, But if mom only took the phone as a punishment there needs to be more.
The punishment should fit the mistake and it shouldn’t be excessive.
Kids make dumb mistakes, show them that mistakes happen and its human to do so but you also have to deal with the consequences.
She may want to go to moms because there are less rules, she may feel less controlled , and yes the punishment may not be as severe and more fitting to the crime.

I would never have a child quit a job. She made a commitment and part of growing up is keeping your commitments. And 6 months is quite extreme to be honest. When parenting a teenager the harder you push, the more they’re going to fight you.

Just because your boyfriend and his ex don’t see eye to eye as co-parents doesn’t mean you get involved. That’s unnecessary drama to create by doing so.

3 Likes

Truth be known educate her. And the harm that she could come across. On what those two boys could have possibly wanted with her. On child trafficking. On the stress she put on her father and mother and you. Educate her on pregnancy. And what it would feel like to not know who the father was. Educate her and what it would be like to make a decision as to whether or not to keep the baby or put it up for adoption. Punishing her that loan is only going to make her rebellious

2 Likes

The job is bs shouldnt make her quite that but everything else yes

If her grade are Goodwin school also should backnoff as well

I’ve been on the opposite side of this. I was the mother with the rules, and her father and step mother had none. I let her move in with her father. She came to my house in weekends, until she decided to cuss at me in an argument with her brother. She didn’t come much anymore. It hurt, but it is what it is. She calls me when she needs it wants advice. We have a decent relationship. Not like I’d like it to be, but at least we’re not enemies.

Ur way overboard first of all, keep acting like that and its only going to get worse, how about having invite the boys over and make it like her home maybe she wouldn’t sneak out

2 Likes

I dont see how having a job is a privilege…you need one to survive in the real world so what’s the point in taking it away? BUT she is 15 so guess what it’s to school and to work and thats it any money you make is going to the bank in your account to save you dont have access to it no phone no after school no friends nada grades have to be good you get to do extra chores sense you have time to sneak out no computer unless it’s for homework and I’d make her write a essay on the dangers of sneaking off i sound harsh but guess what dont do the crime if you dont want the time because it could have been way worse and i mean so much worse until she can prove she can responsible and yes humble she won’t get her privileges

4 Likes

I agree with the phone and other stuff. Six months is too long. I believe she should work. Two or three weeks without out breaking the rules. If broken then add another two weeks. My dad did that to my sister and she ended up being grounded over three months

And you probably ought to stay out of it.

4 Likes

6 months is way too harsh

Not quit her job but be a little more strict like if she drives then you drop and pick her up. Moniter her phone and things

1 Like

They need to meet in the middle. Limit her phone, don’t make her quit her job, and make her focus on school work and her job.

1 Like

I think the real question is how much can you do if she can just stay with her mom? You guys need to come up with something more middle of the road with her mother. Taking away her responsibilities isn’t going to help. Let her work, but make sure she is working, take the phone, electronics, no going out for at least 2 months and make her do extra chores.

1 Like

Having a job at that age is a privilage not a necessity. I agree with taking away “wants” and buckle down on needs. Such as respecting her parents.

1 Like

Six months is a little much and why make her quit her job?

1 Like

Why would you make her quit her job? A job at that age is gonna look good for her as she gets older and it’s teaching her too?

What say, we stay out of people’s business and worry bout our own

Ok, dad’s gone WAY overboard. A job is a responsiblity. As for the phone ( I hate to be the bearer of bad news) that’s how her work will get a hold of her. I can understand limiting what is on the phone, but that’s all. And ya 6 months is way to long.

Has anyone spoke to the child without any shouting or arguing to ask why she is doing what she’s doing, I personally think those punishments are too hard :confused: (good on her for having a job at 15 btw)but she will rebel more if she feels you don’t understand her I no because I done it at that age, I now have a 17 year old son who I am very close to and because I speak to him maturely and openly he doesn’t lie to me about his whereabouts or what he’s doing I always text him to make sure he’s ok and we compromise on most things, maybe the girls mum understands her daughter a bit more (I’m not saying what she done was OK) and punishment wise personally I would make her do extra things around the house, maybe less tv time and just sit her down and explain how scared it made you all feel and that you love her so much it would kill use if anything bad was to happen, try and have a good open relationship with her so shes not scared to tell you where she is going and hopefully she will settle down :pray:

2 Likes

Dad is SUPER extreme and over reacting - but mom is too lenient.

Keep job bolt windows shut take phone for a month

6 months is OTT. Being overly punitive at her age is not going to work. I’d ground her for a month, drive to and from school, work, sport etc. Handover the phone when she’s at home. But most importantly talk with her. Spend time with her. Talk about good and bad choices. Coming down like a tonne of bricks is pointless. And tell your partner he is modelling the type of man she will be drawn to. Is he comfortable with that??

I will be the odd one out I guess and say that this punishment is too light. Can you imagine thinking that your child is missing?! With all of the sex trafficking with young girls that is scary as hell. I can’t imagine how terrified these parents must have been. And also 15 is a very susceptible age to be introduced to drugs and alcohol and sex. This girl needs to know the consequences of her actions before it gets worse.

3 Likes

I would suggest you staying out of that needs to be between him and his child’s mother

6 Likes

Enforce visitation and I’d be the same damn way!!! He is NOT being too hard. Baby girl ends up knocked up and mom is going to want him donating to support baby jr.
there is nothing ok with what she did and good for him for throwing down some balls.

Whoa… can mom and dad just meet in the middle somewhere on this? Dad is too extreme, mom is too lenient. There has to be a middle.
Who makes there kid quit a job as punishment? That seems silly to me. A job is a responsibility and important experience even at that age, but that’s just my opinion.

7 Likes

Quitting the job is a bit harsh, I understand the other punishments but taking away her work is a bit much

2 Likes

I kind of agree with bio mom about the job that’s going to far as a job teaches responsibility, as for the phone being taken away I would say six months is way too long of a time strictly because they can be used for safety or even tracking her where abouts

1 Like

I think people tend to forget the things they have done when they were teenagers. Not everything deserves a harsh punishment. Something that would fit for a punishment would be to sit down and have a talk as to why she felt the need to leave and lie. Understand her side to the situation and then explain how it made you feel about her lien, sneaking out and thinking she was missing and explain the things that could happen such as rape, jail, rumors, that you can’t trust everyone and so on. Use I statements where needed and you statements where needed. Come up with a punishment that mom/dad and daughter all compromise on that is suitable for what she did after she understands why it was wrong and you understand why she did it. Give kids some lee way but not too much. Make it known you want to know who she’s around or your reasons and also her safety. Come up with plans (safety plans)

3 Likes

Both parents are going to opposite extremes - she should keep her job because it’s important for future work ethics but, home immediately before & after work & school - she should keep her phone but, with the ability to only be able to dial important contacts like mom & dad. I believe the carrier can help with that - She should definitely stay at her dad’s until this little breech is taken care of. Mom & Dad better get together on any punishment for it to work & for this girl to understand that she did something that won’t be tolerated. Six months is way too long for any of these punishments 4 to 6 weeks at the most!

Quit her job? Dramatic much dad Wtf :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I’m so excited my broken hart has been restored my ex lover is back after he left me for another woman. i was so happy to met Dr. Momoh how he help many people to bring there Lover back so i contact him to help me too. that was how Dr.momoh to help me to bring my back… A big thank to you Dr.momoh because I never thought my ex lover will be back to me so quickly with your love spell. You are the best and world greatest. if you are here and you need your Ex Lover back or your lover moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him: [email protected]
You can also reach him on WhatsApp on +2348054753811

1 Like

Why should she quit her job?

1 Like

15, came home at 7am with two boys she barely knows, and you all think Dad’s punishment is harsh. I don’t think so. She’s 15 she doesn’t need a job. if she was failing school would you let her keep a job no because her focus needs to be elsewhere. She’s failing life she needs to focus elsewhere

3 Likes

The father is being way too strict i can see the phone for a week or something but the rest is over the top. He sounds borderline controlling and abusive. You may want to re Evaluate your relationship with him.

2 Likes

I don’t agree with making her quit her job. A job is a good way to learn responsibility, and trying to make her quit will just teach her that a man can tell her what to do, because he believes it to be the best thing.

2 Likes

Everything else minus getting her to quit her job seems fairly fair given what she did. She’s lucky she made it home!! Who knows what those boys could’ve done to her if they were dangerous!

2 Likes

I agree with everything except making her quit her job, take her bedroom door or something like that.

3 Likes

I agree with the mum.
Quitting her job is stupid, and 6 months punishment is excessive.
It’s no wonder she left.

6 Likes

She’s allowed to keep her job but is not to attend anything accept that , work then home no excuses no cellphone for a month would be appropriate if she needs to call use the work phone her use the house phone that is Available, and give her a list of chores that is to do everyday, also take her door away obviously she needs to change go into the bathroom but her privacy should be revoked since she wanted to be so reckless anything could have happened she could have been in a ditch dead or those boys would have done something to her

I feel like making her quit her job is a stupid move, especially in the world we are in at the moment. She should be thankful she has a job and if her work ethic is good then she needs to keep her job, it will help her in the future. As far as the cell phone and electronics, I agree they should be taken away. If it were my daughter Id absolutely lose my mind. I have never spanked her before but she would definitely have it coming. I’d personally drive my child and pick her up from work.

I’d say keep job after job home that’s it for few weeks till I get to trust her again and they be lock on her window no more sneaking out and no more of those boys

Why not sit down with her and TALK about WHY this is so dangerous? Let her know the reason she needs to pay attention and behave is that you don’t want something bad to happen to her because you love her. Ask her what she thinks her punishment should be for using bad judgment. It will probably be suitable.

If you all just yell at her and make her life miserable instead of getting her to think about her actions and potential consequences, she will just be thinking about revenge against you and further rebellion. Is this the first time she’s done this? What happens when you make a mistake at work? Do you get your computer taken away for 6 months?

Maybe you could find someone who did something similar and regretted it to talk to her and explain why it was a bad idea. Get someone from RAINN to talk to her about being safe around men and boys. Get someone from the police department (preferably a female) to talk to her about a teen who ran away & it didn’t turn out all right. Make it about the lesson, not the punishment.

Y’all seem too focused on punishment and not enough on teaching good behavior and why. If your BF is this extreme about punishing his daughter, think about how he’ll treat you if you do something that bothers him. :triangular_flag_on_post:

1 Like

Grounding, still includes going to school and work. Loose the phone, get picked up and dropped off to both locations. No privileges! No tv, no phone, when she is home she is to study, or do chores, nothing else. And I’d be getting her tested for STD and Pregnancy

1 Like

Sounds like my kid. Run to the most lenient house (btw isn’t mine). Shw shouldn’t quit her job since its teaching responsibilities. Get her a phone where she can only text and call the numbers you put in. No, she shouldn’t be allowed to spend time with her friends. Put life360 on her phone and set alarms for when she leaves home and work and school.

I agree but she shouldn’t have to quit her job unless she is failing

I would not have her quit her job and I would sit her down and show her some investigation shows on girls who have gone missing. Her and her mom sound naive.

Why would u want her to quit her job that’s a little outta proportion that doesn’t look good for future jobs their is other ways for punishment maybe sit down with her ask her reasonings why she is doing this maybe there’s something going on but she doesn’t know how to deal with it besides doing what she’s doing

3 Likes

As long as she is not failing in school, I say let her keep working, but agree with the rest of the punishments

They need to meet in the middle… Telling her to quit her job imo im sorry is just stupid. A job teaches her responsibility accountability and is an essential part of surviving … To me thats like saying you screwed up so no going to school for 6 months… Wtf… No… Make the punishment fit the crime…

3 Likes

You’re JUST dad’s girlfriend. You don’t handle it at all. It’s between her parents. By the sounds of it you’re probably part of the problem. You’re trying to interfere in her life as a parent when you’re not. She’s acting out because of it. Know your lane & gto of theirs.

8 Likes

Mom is to much of a push over the dad is to extreme find a medium such as getting a burner phone with limited texting and calls instead of having her usual phone this way she has something for emergencies and no friends or other things for a while but she still gets to keep her job as long as the parents pick her up and drop her off.

theres a difference between punishment and discipline. Making her quit a job that she makes an earning for herself isnt disciplining a 15 year old.

3 Likes

Quitting her job is stupid. Jobs teach responsibility. Get that girl on birth control and teach her everything she needs to know. She may not be active but heaven forbid you find out with the presentation of a positive pregnancy test

5 Likes

Whoever the kid lives with should ultimately make the decision.

I would say keep job but have her work schedule so you know her hours. And a work. And come home situation. Agree with no fun . At her age I would say after a month she can have some fun back with curfews and regulations. And she can earn the trust back after that

1 Like

Try to fit the punishment to the crime. Quitting her job is a bad idea because its good that she starts building a resume and gets experience. I would ground her and cut off the cell phone for a week
The phone companies are used to doing this. Good luck. Not easy with teenagers

1 Like

6 months is too far I think shes 15 most 15 year olds have done that I did and if my dad tried to ground me and take my phone for 6 months I would never of went back there

1 Like

You can’t take her entire world away from her.
Start by seeking counseling sessions this can be an outlet for her. She’s acting out for a reason. I guarantee she’s a great kid that’s deeply troubled by someone or something. Time’s are really tough for our youth right now.

Let her go live with her mom. She will get anything she wants and will be pregnant within a year. Don’t allow her back to your house without following dads rules and going to counseling.

2 Likes