My childs father stole money from me, what can I do?

so I need some advice, the father of my youngest (which is 7 months old) came to stay with me for approximately 3-4 months, I had money In my safe which only he witnessed when I put it in and when I made the code for it. I was trying to be discrete but I guess he saw it. Yesterday he left suddenly( he lives in another state) and was acting irrational. which also happen to be the day my landlord collects rent. I went in the safe to take out some money for the rent and my code doesn’t work, I think its so weird so try so many times and it doesn’t budge. I end up calling a locksmith, all of this took a couple of hours.When the locksmith opens my safe there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN THE SAFE. He stole thousands of dollars from me, when I messaged and called and he finally decided to reply, he replied saying he didnt take my money. He gives me no help with his daughter whatsoever and doesn’t help me with my bills or expenses and he had the nerve to steal from us. I am so hurt, I had to borrow money to be able to afford my bills for the month and to get by for the week while I get paid. I guess my question is, Is there anything I can do to retrieve my money ? legal advice ?? I’m so upset and shocked I just literally dont know what to do or where to go from here … Thank you in advance mamas !

358 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My childs father stole money from me, what can I do? - Mamas Uncut

I would def be making a police report

9 Likes

File a police report fersure!!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, unless you have proof he took the money, there’s nothing they could do. It’s he said she said. I’m so sorry he is scum of the earth and did that to you & your kids.

Call the police, make a report,file charges.

1 Like

Police report and dont let him back in… that is screwed up of him doing that… sorry hun…

1 Like

Report it to the police. Let them know he was the only person it could be. And the fact you’ve had to get a locksmith because the pin changed.
Change your door locks so he can’t get in. Put cctv up outside so if he tried to come back at any point you’ve evidence

13 Likes

File a police report and get him on child support change all your locks as eell

7 Likes

You have no proof he took it other than he’s the only one who was there. Its cash. Untraceable.The cops won’t do anything especially since he’s in another state.

10 Likes

File a police report & don’t let him back inside your house.

You can fine a report but without definite proof I doubt much will be done. But they may be able to scare him if he is in fact guilty.

1 Like

Get fingerprints done on your safe, if his our on there, you have proof needed to make a case against him.

9 Likes

Make a report, but dont let the ex back in. They will always find a sob story to spin then stab you in the back after helping them…

Small claims court maybe

1 Like

Since it’s cash likely you won’t get it back, but if you’re serious about the theft file police report

2 Likes

Sadly, probably not. Police report in case you should need to go to Court in the future.

2 Likes

If he put fingerprints on it…it will show he was there.

Call the police and use the bank from now on.

Call police and press charges

3 Likes

Regrettably, I have no legal advice to lend.

However, I’m hurt for you.

He knew that money was put up for a reason, to keep a roof over HIS child’s head.

I hope you’re able to recover at least some of your money. :crossed_fingers:t4:

2 Likes

Press charges against him n never let him in your home ! He can see his child thru a person from the court system! My husband never stole from me it has always been my son n never that much I’m thankful for

2 Likes

Make better choices :100::100::100:

1 Like

He stole. You gonna call the cops? Or not because you don’t want him to get in trouble.

Handle it the way you would if a stranger did it.

6 Likes

Well he lying. How else did he leave with no money

3 Likes

file a report and call the cops for sure

1 Like

Call the police and let them check for his fingerprints. He ran out of state and you have no proof of how much was in there so good luck.

I’m sorry mama. You likely will not get it back. Even if you took him to small claims court, you don’t have physical proof of him taking it out of the safe. It’s basically your words against his. Which is totally unfair. But that clearly says ALOT about him. You lend out a helping hand when he needed it, and he steals from you in return. That’s pathetic of him. Idk how anyone can steal, let alone from their own kids/spouse/ex-spouse. I would def get someone to give him a good Ole azz whoopin.

3 Likes

Call the cops asap. File a police report. Notify the police in the area he lives in so they can lookout for big purchases

1 Like

Phone the police and ask them to take the safe with them so they can check for his fingerprints otherwise there will be no charge.

Invite his ass back over and you know :smirk: ….:facepunch::boxing_glove:

Or file child support on him. Make him pay somehow. If he can’t his problem let him go to jail.

2 Likes

Girl why would u even let him stay with you?? But f all that. Not blaming you for something else’s bad behavior. He was wrong asf and it sounds like he’s on drugs, honestly. Take your child, and continue doing what’s best for you and your child. Get away from him and stay away!

1 Like

Do you have home owner’s or renter’s insurance ? If you have proof of the amount of money , file a claim and make a police report.

1 Like

Call cops, press charges

7 Likes

I probably would just let him come back over and live with me for another few months. 3rd times a charm

3 Likes

Call the police, report it and you can try to take him to small claims court.

2 Likes

This y I put my money in the bank someone steal my card spend money most time ( every time sit took out money or some how someone got hold my card # ) I got all my money bk …beside him being there u have no proof u can try pess charges but again no proof that he did it u spend money going court shit :woman_shrugging:

File police report ASAP

2 Likes

Notify the police and file a report

1 Like

I usually just read the comments but this is crazy hon! You have a baby n your man or anyone in your home w a baby n someone is ripping you off especially your baby’s daddy! Toughen up n be mature from here on out! Your first responsibility is your child!!! No bullshit! You will be suckered your entire life girl

Report theft to police

1 Like

PRAYING Non Stop For You Momma this happened to me 2X I know SICK to your Stomach feeling you are dealing with in your head you are like (( he actually took food Right Out Of His Own Child’s mouth by stealing from us ))) I had 3 babies with the man who stole nor only All our Money but because of him I ended up homeless put my things in a storage Unit little by little he was sneaking into the storage unit taking MORE of MY Belongings and Pawning them OFF me not even having a clue he had Access to it didn’t check it for 6 weeks when I finally got a sm place went to get my furniture and stuff GONE !!! My Dad who no longer was with us made me the MOST beautiful dining room set The father of my children SOLD it without my Knowledge !!! You are Not Alone God Bless

3 Likes

You can make a report but unfortunately unless you have proof of money actually being in there, how exact much, statement from locksmith of how/why code issue, and proof of him doing it your probably out of luck…

7 Likes

Put him on child support, definitely. I’m not a lawyer, but it’s clear he stole the money.

Also, you really shouldn’t keep thousands of dollars at home. Get a bank account.

3 Likes

Depending on your state, small claims court most likely. File for child support.

Lie and say you had security cameras in the house and you have him taking the money on tape and say if you return it that you won’t go to the police with it. He will definitely give it back to avoid those charges

9 Likes

Not really your word against his

Fingerprints can be taken

2 Likes

Call the police​:woman_shrugging:t5::woman_shrugging:t5::woman_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

I think there’s nothing you can do, he already left and you have not proof .
Tell him that you will call the police and see how he react ( record the conversation, in case he accept he did stole the money, so you can use it )
And file for child support

File a police report

1 Like

I’d say contact the authorities. But unless you have proof, it might be hard.
Best of luck!

1 Like

See a lawyer. Don’t let him back in and also speak to Police.

1 Like

Make a police report and you could try to take him to small claims court if it’s enough for you to pursue. That is so rough.

File a police report. Even if you still don’t get the money back, there’s a record of you reporting him.
It’s a hard lesson, but now you know to never help him again.

4 Likes

U need to call the police and make a report , press charges against him

2 Likes

Some men are stupid :triumph: i can bewitch him​:rage:

2 Likes

Idk make police report

I would def phone the police I don’t think they can do much but at least you have reported him as a thief x

Change your door locks

1 Like

Maybe consider a nanny cam so you can verify. Why would he admit to theft, incase you were recording conversation. His character says alot about him. Consider your luck in finding out, yours and his child has a lifetime to live knowing her father isn’t a very trustworthy individual.

1 Like

Stick him with child support. Since you have no proof, legally there is really nothing you can do. Child support is the only way to go. If he refuses to pay when he is suppose to, he will go to jail.

12 Likes

Dead beat! Call the cops! He was the only person there and you know he took it. Totally not ok.

6 Likes

Call the police and file a report

4 Likes

Considering its theft you call the cops not question what should be done

3 Likes

Do you have evidence that it was him.?
Video, reliable witness? Without evidence is your assumption only. But go agree and contact your local authorities maybe the laws are different where you live

You can file a police report so it’s on file and then I’d go straight and file for child support. I’d also look into getting some sort of cameras

3 Likes

Omg call the police!

Unfortunately not much can be done unless you caught him on camera or something. Maybe ring a debt collector to come for a visit …

Couldn’t police fingerprint safe?

2 Likes

Terrible! A hard lesson learned!!

You can file a policy report but not much will be done if you can’t prove there was cash, how much there was, and that he is the one that took it

1 Like

I had an ex take off with everything I owned while claiming he’d come back for me. We were moving and he left me at my mom’s house under the idea he would find work and a decent place for us. My lawyer in the custody case said no one would touch a suit for my belongings. You allowed him in your home so I think it’s the same result here…

Good news is now he will stay away since he stole from you. Although I would make a police report

5 Likes

Unless he left fingerprints on the safe, cameras, or witnesses, then sadly there is no evidence that he actually took the money. The police can’t do anything

1 Like

Don’t let him in your house. Take him to court so he can pay child support.

8 Likes

Call the police on his ass

File for child support, I think that’s your only option to get money from him. So sorry this happened :cry:

5 Likes

File a police report (so you have a record of everything) and file for a child support with your local court. It’s the only way :confused:

2 Likes

If you can prove only you and him in the property inform the police and tell them exactly what you have posted here.He doesn’t care about you and your child and is pretty much ghosting you you owe him nothing, quick trip to the police station and a little investigation into himself is what he needs.:kissing_heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

5 Likes

Get a bank account. Unless you have him on video or credit records, you got nada but a gut feeling.

What is the reason you haven’t reported it to the police??? A baby and love ain’t got a damned thing to do with it

You have zero proof of CASH that was in your personal possession. Unless you have hard evidence… ie - camera seeing him open the safe and remove the money, him admitting to taking the money, there is ZERO way to recover your money or put any criminal charges against him. All you can do is make a police report and have it on file.

Now, if you have home owners insurance, or renters insurance, you have proof of you removing the money, ( like a receipt showing a deduction from an account) you MIGHT be able to recover the money from your home owners. Possibly a picture of the inside of your safe showing how much money you had in it. I would call and inquire as to what you can do through them.
Other than that, that’s all you can do.
Good luck

2 Likes

Check if anyone has Camera view of your house and possibly your ex bf acting suspicious etc.

Small claims court!!!

1 Like

Think for small claims its up to 5000

1 Like

Depending on the amount (if it’s felony or not) he stole you may be able to get them to dust the safe for finger prints if you haven’t already make a police report. Regardless if they can or not (dust) make that report.

1 Like

House insurance would cover this.

You would file a statement of claim with the courts.

You would have to file an application under the rules of court to obtain his bank records.

You would have to sue him first (statement of claim) to trigger discovery

1 Like

As soon as you realised you should have had the police pick him up. Might have still had it on him. Otherwise no way of getting it back really. And file for child support. Never have him.over again.

1 Like

You seriously don’t know what to do?

1 Like

Shouldn’t have trusted even letting him know you have a safe

5 Likes

I Florida police will not get involved because he technically lived with you and I was told he can take anything and you can’t do a damn thing which is so stupid. Only small claims court.

He saved you way more than he took!! You never allow him the opportunity to be near you to do this ever again.

1 Like

Make a police report and file theft charges.

4 Likes

File an insurance claim/Make a police report first. Save the locksmiths receipt.

2 Likes

Get your money in the bank

3 Likes

File child support and never allow him over again

5 Likes

Never trust him either

1 Like

call the police, just like you would if it was anybody else who stole the money from you.

1 Like