My daughter told me she was bi-sexual: Advice?

It could just be a phase. Just support her through it. I don’t understand what all the hype is atm with being bi or gay or transgender. When I was a kid, girls were kissing girls all the time at parties and shit. Didn’t mean we were bi. It’s experimenting. All the talk about it these days in the media is doing something to our kids. Where’s their time to experiment with it all without labels immediately added? Let the kids be kids!!

1 Like

It’s the new “cool” thing to do. I’d ignore it and be accepting, until either it passes or lastes. Cause at the end of the day, whether she is or not, you have to be cause teenagers nowadays are also overly sensitive to all these things.

Ps. Save the bashing, I’m speaking from experience.

3 Likes

As the person who knew she was bi at 13. Just tell her you love her and are there for her. Being 13 is hard enough, trying to figure out what your body and mind are telling you was a struggle for all of us.

2 Likes

Did you know you liked boys at 13? She can know what she likes at 13 also

3 Likes

Just accept who she is! As long as she’s a good kid, who cares what gender she dates!

2 Likes

Were you too young to decide you like boys at 13?
Support that child & her decisions. The last thing our kids need is parents knocking them down before the rest of the world has a chance.

1 Like

It’s not like you found out she has terminal cancer. Love her and move on.

6 Likes

My daughter is 12, she told me she was bi when she just turned 11. I think she knows what she likes and I support her. And it is not like she is going on actual dates right now anyway. Maybe your daughter is lashing out because she feels she is not being listened to and took seriously. Even being 13 she is still entitled to emotional validation from the people in her life. If she feels no one is listening she is more likely to lash out.

1 Like

just accept it and love her you dont know hoe long this will last .could be shes just starting thinking about sex and just descovering herself but it dont matter what sex she perferes as long as shes happy

1 Like

She’s not to young to know what she likes and is attracted too.

3 Likes

I personally think 13 is to young to date boy or girl. I would try to teach my child that they have to learn to be happy with who they are before they can be happy with someone else. Teach them to not worry about having a relationship with someone (male or female) until they are older. They have enough going on in their own bodies to worry about someone else’s. Overall you have to teach them to love themselves no matter what they eventually decide. Always be supportive.

2 Likes

I knew my daughter was going to be gay or bi when she was in 5th grade. When she came out to us in 10th grade, I said it’s fine and I love her and asked her what she wanted me to make for dinner. It’s not my job to agree with it. Yes, talk to your kids about sex and when they should or shouldn’t be engaging in any of those activities, but it shouldn’t be concentrated on the sex of the person she’s attracted to.

2 Likes

Would you be questioning her if she said she likes boys and has a boyfriend? Probably not.

10 Likes

Shes is not to young to make that decision. I have a 14 yearold and honestly she has never told me whether she is attracted to Boys or girls. But I also told her she should never feel like she has to come out or whatever you want to call it. I told her when she does find someone and they start dating whether they are boy or girl she was welcome to bring them home. Because I’m not going to look at her any different or love her any different then I do now. I look at it this way. Ppl don’t come out and be like hey I’m attracted to the opposite sex so why should she have to come tell me If she is attracted to the same sex? All I want is for my kids to be happy and find someone that treats them right and loves them. Thats all that matters. So just except what she told you and love her the same

7 Likes

I started dating (my husband) when I was 14 so I wouldn’t say 13 is too young to be interested in a relationship just be loving and supportive no matter what sex she chooses. She needs her mama more now than ever

2 Likes

But she is old enough to make a decision that she likes boys?

5 Likes

So? You just be her loving, supporting mom like you have been all her life. If it changes in the future, love and support her no matter what. She’s your daughter, she needs your love, support and guidance. Love is love.

1 Like

It’s a fade going through the schools, side effect of them teaching children about transgender and homosexuality before their brains develop naturally into that stage.

11 Likes

Interacting with kids from my daughters school (13-14) it appears that all of a sudden “everyone is gay, or bi- sexual, or trans, or pans… it’s the new thing. I am almost thinking that some just WANT to be “something!” My daughter says the same thing…except she gets all google eyed over her BOYFRIEND. LOVE HER UNCONDITIONALLY and don’t make it a big deal. If she still feels like that after a while… embrace her.

6 Likes

Teach your children to love everyone. Who cares if it’s male or female. 13 is not too young. You support her, through it all. Don’t ever question her. Ever.

8 Likes

My daughter told me the same thing around 12 but she never dated any girls lol she is 20 now with a husband and a baby. I didn’t freak out when she told me either, I accepted it.

Love her, support her, help her through this time. She needs someone to accept her. Love is love :heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart:

5 Likes

Are you too young to “decide” if you’re left or right handed? Sexual orientation is the same thing. If she’s bi, she’s bi. Take it from a 42 year old bisexual monogamous woman married to a man. She doesn’t have a type. Just like me. She’s open to connection. That’s a beautiful thing. Love her and don’t judge her. You’ll break her heart if you do. It’s not about you. Just love and accept her as the awesome unique person she is. You can do this.

16 Likes

Accept her, support her, love her, and move on. If not she deserves a better mother. Seriously doubt you would even be asking this if it was a boyfriend. She is a teen and old enough to know who she is attracted too. She is who she is, don’t question or try to change that.

1 Like

Support her. Love her. She is not too young. I knew when I was younger than that…

2 Likes

I’m bisexual, I told my mom that I was bisexual when I was 11, she took it well and said that she loved me and that who I dated didn’t matter their gender, that all that mattered is that I’m happy. My dad didn’t really pay attention to it, he was more like “ehh” :woman_shrugging: but his (my dads) side of the family didn’t take it well, they said I was too young and that I was confused, that I didn’t know what I was talking about :roll_eyes: but I was fully aware of who I was, and what bisexuality is. As I was growing up my dads family would make comments and one day I snapped and said that I am who I am and that it wasn’t going to change, that if they really did love me, that they’d accept me for being me, and they never made a comment after that about my sexuality.

Accepting your sexuality is hard, but it’s harder to come out to anyone, especially family, and she chose to come out and openly admit her sexuality, you should be happy that she was brave and comfortable enough to come out to you. She’s your daughter, she needs your support and acceptance. Just because she’s attracted to both male and female doesn’t mean that she won’t find love or happiness, love is love.

3 Likes

My daughter knew shecwas gay at 8. Girls mature faster. Just be there for her and show her and tell her she is loved and respected reguardless. Invite the girlfriend over.

1 Like

I definitely don’t think she’s to young, it’s also not a desicion it’s who she is. You don’t have to like it but you can respect who she is. Maybe you have been having so much trouble with her because she doesn’t feel like she can speak to you without you getting upset

3 Likes

Support her no matter what. I truly believe if your child knows you love them no matter who they are and who they choose to connect with is a bond like no other. Dont panic , she trusts you :relaxed: i think for parents they tend to automatically go to a place where its like whoa and were here now lol. They grow so fast. Enjoy it all. Life is beautiful and love is love bottom line :sparkling_heart:

It’s not for you to decide if her decision is right or wrong, her body, her life, her decision. All you need to do is decide if you love your daughter enough to support her decision

5 Likes

If she’s old enough to think boys are cute she’s old enough to think girls are too. :woman_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

My son was daughter is 6 years old and he knew who he wanted to be and chose it at age 2 and a half he likes girls has major crushes on Ariana grande and Selena Gomez :pleading_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: accept her, support her and love her just as she is :sparkling_heart:

Would you question her age if she had a boyfriend? If not, then you have bigger problems. You support your kid and love them through it all. :heart:

3 Likes

I’ve heard of teenagers knowing about their sensuality now. My 14 year old nephew talks about it. He just likes girls but accepts classmates on the whole sequel spectrum.

Would you question her in your words dession if she told she liked a boy or had a boyfriend ??
Love her ,support her and accept her at the end of the day being bisexual dose not change the person she is

2 Likes

Would you be having this reaction if she told you she had a boyfriend? Treat it the same way. If its bothering you because you think she is too young for a relationship then focus your conversation on that rather than the gender of her chosen partner. Ask about them, what is she like etc, it will reassure her that you are there for her and interested and taking her feelings seriously. she may be feeling just as worried about you as you are about her and not saying anything at all may make her feel a bit rejected, keep the lines of communication open. She told you for a reason, she needs her mom and wants you to share in this exciting news with her xxx

4 Likes

Some girls realize it early and try and be supportive, my mother wasn’t and we ended up having a horrible relationship

Don’t know how you feel about it?
You don’t get to feel any type of way about it :woman_shrugging:
You just have to accept it and love her.

9 Likes

Whaaaat. Would you feel like this if she had a boyfriend.? If for whatever reason you can’t get over it…she’s not gonna get pregnant by another female…if nothing else look at it that way and BE supportive

1 Like

My granddaughter said the same to us Isaid you cant say this at that age you don’t know until your at least 17years old and She’s neither shes straight so dont worry just dont keep mentioning it to your daughter if she turns out to be it is what it is

8 Likes

Love & support her. Educate her on safe sex. Educate yourself on acceptance. She is still your child regardless & she will need to know that she is not alone in his judgemental world.

8 Likes

Don’t lay the law down you will only push her away . Let her find out for her self what she wants as she grows up more.

4 Likes

Aslong as she is happy, healthy, safe & kind, it shouldnt matter who she loves/is attracted to, I’m not personally bi-sexual but I think it’s nice that she likes or loves a person for who they are as an individual not a gender and have a big heart to be open to loving anyone aslong as she is treated well by them, she is probably feeling super disconnected to you because you are disconnected to her, support her, she cant help how she feels and the only hard thing she will face with her sexual preferences is peoples judgement, criticism, & other forms of bullying. She will be more happy and open when her friends and family love her and support her unconditionally. Teenage years are super tough be her mum and her friend, she isnt doing anything wrong.

4 Likes

she needs your love support and above all else your acceptance she will always need you be thankful she she feels that she could talk to you this may be the start of things being better between you

2 Likes

Support her she could just be finding herself or she could be bisexual either way love her talk to her and don’t judge her x

5 Likes

If she has a girlfriend she cant get pregnant at 13. Either way be supportive and love her.

2 Likes

Your daughter needs your love and support. Sit with her and talk with her. She loves you enough to come to you and tell you this. Love her enough to listen and understand and talk with her. Acceptance is a huge part.

4 Likes

This is the one part of her life you have absolutely no right to have a say in.

8 Likes

Why do you get to choose when she is old enough to be bisexual. It isn’t a choice. Poor kid.

5 Likes

Just support her and love her and know that she was comfortable on coming to you about it

1 Like

I decided I liked women and men when I was 9. I knew my feelings were valid but people told me exactly what you are thinking. That I’m too young. That I have no clue what I’m thinking about. So I hid my relationships. I hid everything from my parents. Wanna tell her she’s too young or she doesn’t even understand what’s going on? She will just hide that shit. Love and support her. Being part of the lgbtq+ is perfectly fine. Don’t let what people feed in your brain make you treat your daughter any different.

I think every child goes though this. I went though the same thing at that age…my brother went though around that age he didnt know if he liked boys or girls I think its because so many hormones are changing in both girls and boys. But she is just curious.

13 is too young to be sexual. Isn’t that what you’d all say if she were in a relationship with a boy?? She’s 13 and attracted to girls? More power to her! But this is going to change things… no more sleepovers with girl friends, for one. Stop making a big deal and treat it exactly how you’d treat any other kind of attraction. Sex wouldn’t even be in the conversation for most, except to warn of the risk and responsibility that comes with being sexual.

4 Likes

I mean it could be a phase. My little sister went through that when she was 11. Just accept and love her. She might just be experimenting or maybe she really is bi. Either way you should feel better knowing she came to you instead of hiding it.

Curiosity is just that. She’s trying to find herself! At 13 however, is to young for a girlfriend or boyfriend…

1 Like

She is not too young to know this. Support her.

1 Like

LGBTQ+moms— group on fb. Join! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

my 11 year old is curious. just support her and help her with anything you can.

1 Like

No shes not to young

1 Like

It’s not up to you whether or not she is too young. I knew my little brother was gay at aged 6, while he wasn’t open about it until he was about 16, I believe it was. I didn’t fully accept that I’m bi until I was about 23. Your daughter decides on her own time when she is ready to accept these parts of her.

4 Likes

It is not to young. But me personally my kids arent allowed to date till high school. Being bi isn’t a big deal. Like at all.

Love and support her, talk to her so you can understand how she feels. I had a girl friend in middle school, she’s not too young to want to explore. It’s best to explain about safe sex (both genders specifically).

1 Like

Doesn’t change a thing about who she is as a person. Period. As long as she’s happy, be happy for her.

2 Likes

I was 12 when I realized I was attracted to women. My mom supported me and still supports me to this day. I’m bisexual as well, but have been with more women than men. Don’t judge her for it and allow her to express herself as she would with a boy. Also, if it makes you feel any better, my mom always told me she would rather me be with female than a male because I couldn’t get pregnant :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

She’s not too young. Love her and support her, it’s pretty simple.

1 Like

She difently is to young. Shouldn’t be dating.needs to kept her mind on school and activities and church.

1 Like

Your child is your child no matter what. I cant imagine how scary it is for a child to tell their parent something like this and not know what response they will get. Even if you think it’s a faze or attention seeking show acceptance and love. Be open minded, ask questions if you dont understand. This could change the direction of your relationship with your child for the rest of your lives. Love your kiddo even if you dont agree.

9 Likes

If you’d be okay with her having a boyfriend at 13 then you should be okay with her having a girlfriend. If you think she’s old enough to like boys then she’s old enough to like girls.

5 Likes

My daughter came out to me at that age. I’ve also taken numerous psych and sociology classes that teaches about this. If you have questions feel free to message me🙂

Wtf? Just let her be who she is. Support her, also set the boundaries with “relationship” tho. Nothing wrong with being bisexual

3 Likes

You wouldn’t be asking If she was too young to decide that she likes boys, would you?

7 Likes

I personally think she’s too young to make a decision like that. Looking back to when I was 13 I had absolutely no idea about life… could be a phase or it could be for real maybe she really is attracted to girls but then again with this day and age in the media she could be influenced making her think she’s something that she’s not. All you can do is support her. I really wouldn’t want my 13-year-old daughter to be dating whether it was a boy or a girl. I was still a virgin at 13.

3 Likes

The freakout is expected, and ok. Talk to her, be supportive, keep an open mind. The moment you try to shut it down and use morals or age as a valid argument is the moment you will lose her faith and trust. This coming from an open bisexual who had this same argument with her mother over 15 years ago. “What if it’s just a phase?” What if it is? It is one step taken to your child understanding herself a little better than the day before. My own daughter has expressed bisexual curiosity, and all I have expressed is she keep an open mind about herself.

Let your child throw the mad mix of life against the wall to see what sticks. The results might not be what YOU want, but you both will be happier in the long run.

3 Likes

How old were u when u “made the decision” to be straight? :joy:

5 Likes

If she’s bisexual, she is bisexual. She isn’t making a choice, she is just telling you how she feels. And what does it matter anyway?xx

5 Likes

She’s not to young… even at that young age a person can know what they like… I was about that age when I started to explore my sexuality and gender identity… there are some things you just know by exploration… and hindering your child’s sense of self is damaging. I’d recommend therapy… for both of you. Individually and together to help you both learn proper communication tools, coping skills and situational resolutions.

1 Like

The only “decision” she made is to tell you. It’s not a choice to be bi-sexual, it’s her reality. It’s not your place to “decide how you feel about it”. Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with you. This is HER journey. Your only job is to accept her, love her, and when she comes to you for advice or to share her experiences, be grateful she is sharing with you. Guide her and advice her as if she were dating boys. It’s simple.
It’s your job to accept, love, and guide her.
:v:

11 Likes

My step daughter told me when she was 10 she is 14 now and still says she is. Some how they know. I treat her the same just love then and let them express themselves. If its a faze great if not ok. Thats my thought on it.

2 Likes

I was a little younger than that. My mom just said “No you don’t” and moved on. Never talked about it again. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Just be supportive,
Hold the urge to tell her “she’ll grow out of it” or “she doesn’t know what she likes because she’s so young” those words will come back to haunt you and if used your daughter will not be so honest (or trusting) in future.

Just be there, tell her you love her and want her to be happy. And that’s that.

7 Likes

Just let her be. Its called unconditional love for your children. Shes still the same person

3 Likes

Love her and support her! Who cares who she likes? Just raise her to be a good person and to find someone who loves her and treasures her as she deserves.
My daughter is 12 and she is also bisexual! I love her so much! She’s the best! I always pray that I can be the mom she deserves

6 Likes

Good news, how you feel about it doesn’t matter :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

So long as she isn’t having sex,I would let her be. She will explore now or do it when she is bolder and it could cause issues later

If she said she had a boyfriend would she be too young to know she liked boys? If the problem is with her being to young to date than that’s a different story. The way I see it is if someone is old enough to know if they are straight they are old enough to know if they’re not.

6 Likes

Ok, listen closely…
Step 1- sit down. Inhale deeply to the count of ten then exhale to the same count.
Step 2- reread you question.
Step 3- realize there is no problem.

I know this because I’m about 40 and my mother is not at all involved in my romantic life nor my sex life and that is appropriate.

Next steps:
She may have been acting out lately because she has been concerned to tell you that she is bisexual because she’s afraid you will not love her. That’s ridiculous however because what mother would not love their child because they’re bisexual?! I never held my newborn thinking “I will always love and protect you except of course if you chose to love or have sex with another consenting person of the same sex.” Gross to think that way right?

Next Step, discuss safe sex options.

After that, if you’re still struggling, ensure your daughter you love her but are having a difficult time with this news but understand that is YOUR problem and that you will be seeking professional help and that she is welcome to join you to better understand her and learn how to support her.

Next, ignorant friends and family judging you and her? Set clear boundaries and remove people as needed. Your daughter needs you to have her back.

Be on the right side of history.

On your death bed or hers for that matter, will you honestly care who she loves/feels sexual towards? Honestly?

On your death bed, will you care what others thought?

On your death bed, or hers, would you regret not taking this amazing opportunity to bond and support your daughter through a very uneasy time in her life? (Puberty, body changes yet executive function not fully developed, relationship struggles, peer pressure)…

Buck up mom. You can do this and there are far worse things than your current anxiety here…an old friend watched her daughter die slowly this past year…this is really not a problem but an opportunity you have here.

16 Likes

Would you be concerned if she had a boyfriend at this age? :thinking:

I’m going to be the bad opinion here but I’ve had 2 kids “come out” to me. And neither actually are lesbian/ gay. Idk if it’s the new “cool” thing or what but at that age maybe just sit back and see what happens. Also at 13 I think it’s a little too early for serious dating.

I’m just curious what you mean by “going through hell with her.” The rest really doesn’t matter, but it sounds like you’re adding it to the plate of things you’ve been going through with her like it’s a bad thing too, which for the record, is a cruel thing to do to your daughter. Her sexuality has nothing to do with who she is as a person, or how much trouble she gets into. I advise taking a step back and reevaluating the entire situation as a whole. You’re clearly stressed, deal with the issues at hand before characterizing her sexuality as one of them. Then deal with her coming out to you appropriately and separately.

1 Like

imagine your mom not supporting your marriage or husband. It’s not her place to judge. Just as it’s not your place to judge your daughter, or tell her how she feels is wrong. Don’t have anymore if you can’t love them unconditionally.

Breath. Pray about it. (((((Hugs))))) Personally, I say to just love her like u always do. She is still your baby.

1 Like

Acceptance of the journey in which she is on. No judgement just love her and listen to her. When your family member has the courage to do this, that is a huge thing to do. Love and acceptance.

I’m so happy for you, In the fact she told you. That was a hard choice for her.
Let her be she and you will be happier. Don’t be negative about it, embrace and love your child just as before.

Tell her the Lord is against that

3 Likes

Be her rock, but also tell her your feelings on it. When she becomes an adult it won’t be any of your business what she does behind clothes doors. As long as no one is forcing her to do something she doesn’t want to.
Just my opinion

1 Like

It’s 2021 people get over it. Be happy for her and move the F on. Simple

3 Likes

Just love and support her. The rest will fall into place where it is supposed to.

1 Like

She’s 14. It happens. They will continue to experiment until they find what they’re looking for. And if it’s that, there is nothing you can control less in this world than a person’s sexual preference. IJS. Have those conversations about safe sex though. Focus on what you can do versus what you have no control over.

I knew at 13 I had interest in the opposite sex, so I’d say let her be who she is and support and love her! :heart: