My daughter wants to hang out with her best friend but she has lice: Advice?

Everything you wrote, say it to the girls mom :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

I would treat the other little girls hair for her :woman_shrugging:t3: maybe the Girls mum is not well or not able to see it or maybe she is and doesn’t care :woman_shrugging:t3: either way if it was my daughters best friend I would treat the other little girl

4 Likes

Maybe offer to help the mom get rid of the problem. I’ve done it before

3 Likes

Tell her mom that until the lice are under control you won’t have her over.

3 Likes

Tie her hair up in a tight bun…. Explain she has to play outside with her friend… NO INSIDE and reexplain personal space

1 Like

Have you spoke to her parents at all about this? There’s no reason the friend should be keeping lice neither.

1 Like

Just ask the other girl’s mom. It may be a situation where the other girl’s mom doesn’t know how to treat it or can’t afford to treat it. Talk to the mom and see if you can help.

10 Likes

Add tea tree oil to hairspray. Cover your daughter’s hair in it. Meet at the park.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but no. Maybe try mentioning in the parents in very polite and respectful way. HOPEFULLY they’ll treat for it, but if not and they just get ugly then I would be done with it. But until that was cleared I wouldn’t let her come over nor send my child over there.

Ah no unless you want your daughter to catch lice :grimacing:

1 Like

Have you spoken to her mother? Maybe they don’t know how to get rid of it

That’s a NO for me…Have you explained this to your daughter as well?? Mine is 12 and her sister at her dad’s gave her lice once and I totally flipped out!! That stuff is hard as F to get rid of! To much work and sounds like you do enough as it is mama! Sucks but I’d SAY NO :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Speak to her mum and explain how you feel she might not now he daughter has lice as some children don’t let there parents touch there hair no mind checking for nits

I wouldn’t look at it like she will be offended. Maybe she doesn’t know :woman_shrugging:t2: or maybe she can’t afford to get rid of them. I would talk to the mother about it, and just let her know you mean no harm but you clearly can’t keep dealing with lice

HECK NO!!
Head lice is from the devil!!!
Not a thing in the world is worth that risk, girl.
Your child will be sad because you say no, but just remind her of everything y’all went through to get rid of them. Chances are good once you remind her how it was to get rid of, she will change her mind, and if not, a little disappointment never killed anyone.
3 weeks is hardly enough time to make sure it’s really gone, anyway.

Did you let the other mom know that your daughter has gotten lice from her? Maybe she doesn’t know? And telling her mom might be helpful so her mom can get rid of it…

2 Likes

No you need to tell her friends mom

1 Like

Conversation with the Mom needs to happen. Explain what happened and ask her to treat her daughter and her home.

1 Like

Start putting tea tree oil in your shampoo. It’s an all natural way to repellent. Have them play outside and explain that there is to be no sharing of clothes, brushes, hair ties or anything and no hugging or anything like that.

3 Likes

Maybe the mother has something going on and that’s the reason she hasn’t done her child’s hair. I’d try and help maybe offer to help do her childs hair. I mean you don’t have to go straight on the oh your child gave them to my child, just mention they’re going around the school and is it okay to do her child for her as you had planned to do your children the same day. Sometimes people just need a little support

6 Likes

I would want to know if my kid had it. Go talk to the other mama. If they get upset at least you told them.

Tell the parent she’s got nits. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

My advise is Hell No !!!

4 Likes

Definitely not! Maybe play outside at a park in an by open area. Keep washing with tea tree oil too. I would talk to her parents. That’s not good.

2 Likes

I’d have a talk with the Mom. For sure! Lice comes from lack hygiene!

4 Likes

Home bargains do a lyclear shampoo for about £8 after initially doing this treatment every night go thru hair with a nitty gritty comb & spray with teatree oil & water,spray every day they don’t like the smell the only way to keep on top of them is to denit every night but the nitty gritty comb is all u need gets out lice & eggs & doesn’t damage hair thosr other plastic lice combs are useless x

You should of told her mother so it can get taken care of. Forget embarrassing them, one prescription strength dose could eliminate it from her daughter’s hair… besides that, the little girl is probably suffering from what its progressed to by now

4 Likes

No, that child just wouldn’t be back at my house. I would also reach out to her mom, it may piss her off, but maybe she needs help buying medicine to treat it or even how to correctly treat it. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I’d tell the mom that she needs to take care or the lice first. How didn’t they get cleaned up after the first time?

Put a shower cap on both of them

1 Like

Help the mom out and pick some nits.

2 Likes

My son’s ex was the one bringing lice into our home so I bought the stuff. Her mom still wouldn’t do it so my daughter ended up doing it while I was at work. Try to talk to the parents and see if there’s anything you can do to help

If the lice isn’t taken care of it can make the little girl sick… mother needs to be notified.

8 Likes

If a kid has had lice for a while the mom knows. I wouldn’t let them hang out until you are sure it’s gone

2 Likes

If you have had that many issues I would just be honest and tell anyone that visits that they get a head check. School nurse 30 plus years snd many parents asked for advise snd I tell them , just be honest snd check and if they don’t like it oh well !!

2 Likes

You need to tell the mom immediately. And no don’t let the children get together until you know the friend is clear of lice.

7 Likes

Just ask the other mom and check the kid when she gets there. If she has it tell the mom and offer to treat it yourself

Apparently highly transferable ! Live on sofas, bedding, everywhere. It won’t be traumatic if they go a couple days without personal contact. There’s FaceTime and phone talk time. You’re the parent - she’s the child. Do the Mommy thing abs say NO

1 Like

Maybe the friends mom doesn’t know how to get rid of lice? Try talking to the mom and see if she got rid of the lice or if she needs any help or advice on how to get rid of it.

1 Like

I can’t believe some of these questions. Omfg

2 Likes

No no no, do not feel bad. No way! Too stressful to put yourself and kids through. Maybe be honest and explain and offer to help the girl how to get rid of it. What is going on that the friends family isn’t dealing with this?

2 Likes

This shouldn’t even be a question! If someone has life why send the kid to their house so your entire family has it ? Unless you enjoy dealing with lice. Than that’s personal choice.

1 Like

The answer is no and they can video chat with parental supervision. If she does get it again they make this stuff lice be gone it’s a spray bottle and you spray it on let it dry and wash it out I repeat in q week. Throw their stuff in a dryer fir a bit in high.

Don’t hang out anymore and keep your kids busy with other fun activities with other kids have no lice

Head check, for sure! I battled lice & won. IDC who gets offended.

3 Likes

Nope. Coming from a hairstylist mama. Don’t let her do it until she is clear. No eggs at least 2 weeks.

1 Like

Have you said anything to the little girls mother about treating her ? Lice infestations can actually be very serious. Lice survive and feed off the blood of a live host. It’s been found lately that going untreated can lead to blood loss, severe anemia, and it was even in the news not too long ago about a little girl who was otherwise healthy (not malnourished, physically abused or have any other underlying health issues) dying from the parent not treating a severe lice infestation she had. It’s not just a nuisance to have, it can be considered child neglect.

3 Likes

I believe I read tea tree oil shampoo detours the bugs but i would research that just to be sure as its only something I read in passing some years back.

Offend the mom. I can’t imagine how uncomfortable my child’s friend would be if they had lice and the family did nothing to treat it. It can make them anemic and in rare cases they can die from it. I would simply tell the mother the situation, tell her you would love to have her come over but you can’t risk it because of your other kids. Maybe the other person is overwhelmed by it and doesn’t know how to properly get rid of it. Offer her some help.

4 Likes

Be honest with the mom. It’s better than sugar coating and beating around the bush. Just tell her that until her house is lice free your girls can FaceTime and stuff like that but you can’t afford to have it come into your house again and offer her all the ways you used to get rid of them. Honestly telling her the truth is better than making up excuses all summer and in the long run you really are only hurting the girls by lying.

1 Like

No. It’s a complete sentence.

2 Likes

I would talk to her mom and say man we just had a crazy lice outbreak! Could you check (their daughter’s name) to make sure she didn’t get it too? It was a nightmare getting rid of these things and I want to make sure I don’t have to start all over

6 Likes

Just tell your kid no.

1 Like

As hard as that mess is to get rid of not counting the stress & tiredness from all the cleaning but I’d have to ask NICELY if anyone had been bothered with it because you had & it was awful to get rid of. Then if you have to be point on & blunt asking then go for it.

1 Like

Nope. Maybe offer suggestions to the other mom?

1 Like

Buy a nit repell spray for your own child. Or you could kindly talk to the parent of the child that may have them.
If this was me I’d allow the friend over and I’d do both their hair at the same time :slight_smile: then tell the parent in a kind and humble way

1 Like

If they get offended then good ridden to them! It’s really a no brainer. The first time wasn’t your fault. If you allow her over without knowing she’s lice free the next time will be your own fault :woman_shrugging:t2:

Some people stay with lice. It’s so gross. You aren’t responsible for her friends. But, obviously they gave a huge lice infestation. She needs to understand how gross that is and I hope those children get lice treatment. They need to treat their entire house

It really sucks but you need to say no. That is TOO much to deal with.

I had the same issue with a neighbor kid at our complex. There’s not much you can do if the other parent doesn’t want to get rid of the lice. Luckily I only found eggs in one of my kids hair never once found a live lice. I’m about to have a baby and I just can’t deal with lice right now after panicking to get rid of the eggs. My son still plays with her outside but I told him he’s not allowed to share hats or be in close contact with her. It’s easier for him since he is a boy and has short hair but I just can’t have her come in our place anymore, I saw her scratching her head the other day and I just can’t do the whole treatment and cleaning process again with me, 2 girls and a boy. At one point me and my bf started telling the girl that we had lice so she didn’t feel singled out or anything, even tho at the time no one had lice.

NO. You know the answer, just NO. Not now, takes forever to get it gone, and well frankly if I were you, I just would not want to do all that again.

Whynot try talking to the girls parents and maybe get help for them to get it out of her hair you never know the girl who has its struggles.

A long time ago like in the 90s the guy was with at that time both me and him had a friend that had a small daughter she wasn’t even in school yet she was below that she had blonde hair and every time he brought her to my house she had thousands no joke thousands of them in her hair I would pick for hours trying to get them out of it and didn’t even make a indention in it she’s all grown up now but I felt so sorry for her my kids really didn’t have that I had lice at all now my daughter-in-law has four kids the girls is mainly the ones who get it and the 13-year-old girl has hair down to her butt her 10-year-old sister’s not that long but somehow they they were getting it the oldest boy he’s 15 we would just tell him to let us cut his hair off and he wouldn’t do it and the baby boy Skyler he got it too he’ll be seven next month but he was a little baby and get this in 5 years of his life his hair never got touched he can wet his hair or take a bath and he can shake his head and the prettiest curls would come up in his hair he was only like four or so around then when he had it and he was sleeping with me and I don’t know how if I got it or not but I had to go to the hospital and they told me that I had it in my hair I don’t know I never could see it I don’t feel nothing the girls though we had to get rid of theirs the oldest girl I took and poured gas in my hand got wet with it and just rubbed it through her hair now the first little girl I was talking about that had it so bad and every time she went home to her house she got it better her daddy was pouring diesel on her head yes I didn’t just pour it on there I took and just lightly got it on my fingers and rubbed it through her hair and she got rid of them she said it burnt a little bit but we watched it straight out as soon as we put it in with shampoo

I feel like unless you told her mom then how is she supposed to know she has it ? I would at least do that much. Offensive would be allowing her kid to get picked on by infesting others too

This is too serious and inconvenient to worry about offending the mother. The mother needs to be sure the child doesn’t have lice. A child died recently from having untreated lice. You must discuss this with the mother

I wouldn’t let her yet, definitely talk to the mom, even if she gets offended, and if her mom is having trouble battling it maybe offer suggestions, also lice and get inside mattresses so if her her mom is treating her hair maybe that’s why she keeps getting it again. We are constantly battling the same thing every time my daughter comes home from her bio dad :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: I’m ready to shave everyone’s head

No no no. My kids best friend gave it to her numerous times… come to find out mom and gma had it too just letting em exist. Nooooo maam.

1 Like

Bro the amount of laugh reacts is so sad. I don’t have any advice bc I haven’t been through this myself but there’s no reason to laugh at this mom struggling to find a way to have her child have social interaction with another child that is close to hers even though there’s an issue.

3 Likes

Just say no sorry we can’t

This has to be a joke. Are you for real? Of course not, you’re the parent, say “NO”

1 Like

My mom always did lice checks on my friends. I thought it was weird at the time but now I have kids and see why. Lice is a big pain and you all need retreated 2 weeks later.

Speak to the kids parents - they all get lice that’s kids … if it’s not lice it’s worms :rofl:

Are you able to talk to the family or is this a situation that “they don’t care” or maybe they can’t afford the treatment or don’t know what to do. My eldest went through school with a girl who was always the child with head lice. Nice kid but her parents just didn’t seem to get it and all our kids were forever being infected. We got the class done at school so this poor girl didn’t feel different. I wonder if you could do a “girl spa day” at home and do the hair treatment and depending on the age of the girls some mail polish etc. This would help the girl out.

2 Likes

Check the friends head when she comes over. If she has lice, call the mom to pick her up. That’s what my parents and my friends parents did.

2 Likes

Fairytale shampoo and conditioner and the conditioning spray is a life saver. I can’t count how many times my daughters school.had lice and she never got it. It repells lice. I also braid my daughters hair as well. She has had lice one time and never got it again. We use this every other day and use the conditioning spray everyday. U can buy it at Walmart or order off amazon

1 Like

When I got it as a child my mom made it so no one came over until they were checked by her. She had to send one friend of mine away 3 times before my friends mom asked for help because she thought she was getting rid of it but wasn’t. My mom helped treat their hair. It was all ok. No one got offended and I wasn’t embarrassed. It was necessary.

Just tell her " no sorry , maybe some other time" . im sure there will be plenty of other opportunities later down the road when her lice is gone

Easy answer. NO! NO NO NO AND NO!

1 Like

Vamouuse shampoo is AMAZING!! It kills lice and keeps it away . After inital use , use it once a week

Just say no. That’s a parents job.

2 Likes

All you can do is be honest the nice way and tell the mom your concerns. If she doesn’t take control over her children and family then I’d have to cut it off, in my opinion. It’s not fair to none of you including her children. So I would respectfully say something.

Id say ask the the other mom about the headlice and then let my child go then treat her when she got home just to be on the safe side

You don’t really have a choice. You need to talk to her parents. They might not be taking the right steps to get their home clean too, or even realize that she’s got lice. You can’t risk things like that just to save someone’s feelings or offending them. That’s the problem with the world nowadays. Everyone is too sensitive and emotional. Be up front and communicate. Lying, or avoiding the issue isn’t going to solve it.

I would just call her mother up and talk to her. Why should you have to go through all the again.

1 Like

Honestly I went through same thing with a kid my daughter played with I made it a rule to meet at a park for play dates and no hugging I also offered to treat kids head and checked head as soon as they were around if so I call parent and send home or treat them

I had this issue with my daughter, I would have the child go straight to bath and do hair put clothes in bag then have clean clothes ready do her hair then check it . Then tell her mom that she has been done and maybe write down how to treat her house, also ask if they have the ability to afford the treatment, if not if you are able maybe help out . I used to donate 3 full family treatment with spray for the house and a box of black garbage bags for each to the school/ teachers so they could help a family in need . I made my own kits I also include hanes his or her way plain tees and shorts or sweatpants so they had clothes to put on after treatment. I know the struggle, I have cried many nights treating my home .
I also found that clairol hair mouse keep them away they dont like it I would put lots on my daughter and braid her hair back .

3 Likes

Ummm no. She won’t be playing with that girl until their parents get that straightened out. That is ridiculous and

2 Likes

Talk to the kids parent, ask questions, COMMUNICATE to see if the situation has been resolved. As for if she is “clean” :roll_eyes: has nothing to do with lice. My 1 year old got lice and doesn’t go anywhere really. The only homes she was at they didn’t have it so she must have literally got it from someone walking by at the store. No one else we know had it. Not even me. And yes I treated her hair. And everything else.

1 Like

Also put your daughter’s hair in a tight bun

Nope! Headlice is hard to get rid of it and there is no way I would be letting my daughter play with her again. My heart would break for my daughter/other little girl because it definitely isn’t her fault but I wouldn’t take the risk

I would just talk to the mom and tell her there has been a lice problem going around and you’d like to be on the safe side and make sure any person who goes to your house is clean of lice.

2 Likes

Learn to say NO TO UR KIDS. yes they went through a pandemic and had online school buuuuut so did adults and if we know our friend has bugs whether its lice or bed bugs we wouldnt go.

1 Like

Peppermint is actually more effective then the tea tree also I’m not sure what area you are in but look up lice clinics and see if you have any near you they have amazing products and in case you get them again they do treatments that are an hour long and really really effective. Amazing for smaller children and on the mamas

Wash everyone’s hair with tea tree shampoos. It helps repel them.

Say no and talk to her parents. You already know how much it sucks getting rid of them so why even take a chance.

1 Like

better to offend the other mom then allow your daughter’s friend to pass it on to your kids and other kids. that is unacceptable that she would allow her kids to have lice and pass it around. what is the rest of the year like?

1 Like

Honestly, it’d be a big, fat NO! I’d also be concerned as to why your daughter’s friend has had lice for so long, poor kid!

4 Likes

When your daughter brings that lice home you will have to wash EVERYTHING!! Those things get into everything from sheets to furniture, and they’re hard to get rid of. Why is this even a question??

This is a health and well being issue. Talk to the mother and explain why you cant allow lice near your kids. When school starts the nurse should be made aware of the child’s condition.

2 Likes

Do you have her mother’s contact number,if so because I’ve done it myself gibe her a nice friendly message and just say what the problem is,it’s a normal occurrence ALL kids get them at some point nothing to be ashamed about