My daughter will not stop cutting her own hair: advice?

My daughter was doing the same thing. Took her to a salon and she picked a short Bob. She has quit cutting it since. She is almost 9. I know it’s been mentioned but I would seriously try that. I was at my wits end with her too and no matter where I put scissors she found them.

Head bands until it grows enough to put up, then use gel or hair spray to keep it out of her face.

Take her to get a hair cut she likes that she can manage or put it all up all the time.

1 Like

Let her pick a cute pixie style that won’t be in her face and take her to the Salon for a cut. Have the technician explain why she shouldn’t cut her own hair and only when she goes to the professional can she get it cut.

1 Like

Put the scissors where she can’t get them maybe?

3 Likes

Yes take her to get a cut and let her pick out the style!

1. Take away all scissors
  2. Take her to salon for a cut of her choice?
1 Like

Hide the scissors, but also talk to her about a new short hairstyle that she may love.

Pull it up/style it or take her for a haircut?

My 15yr old cut her own hair at school one day & still continues to cut it :woman_facepalming:t2: had to take her to a salon to have it fixed because it was different lengths

Take her to a salon and have them give her a short hair style of her choice or let her keep cutting it as long as she is being safe while doing it she is old enough and should be allowed to chose her hair style. Do not shave her head that would be so wrong. My 5 kids have chosen how they want their hair style starting around the age 5.

Just let her
It’s her own fault if she looks awful

3 Likes

My 4 year old does this. But grabs face trimmers And shaves the middle of her hair. She’s done it 3 times. We’ve had to shave it each time. Idk how to get her to stop. She says she wants long hair but then cuts/ shaves it off.

Take away all scissors.

Does she want bangs? Sit down with her and find pictures of styles she likes, then take her to a salon. Make it a girls’ day with lunch or ice cream after. Hopefully she sees how cute it is after the salon cut.

1 Like

Take her to a professional to get it cut the way she wants it

3 Likes

Take her to get a haircut that will suit what she wants?

1 Like

Get her a short hair cut.

2 Likes

I shaved my daughter’s hair. Gave her tons of warning and told her if she didn’t ask for a haircut and she just cut it, I would shave it. So I shaved it. And now she keeps it shaved and loves it. She has had it shaved over a year now. She just turned 11 yesterday

4 Likes

only let her use scissors supervised

1 Like

Easy answer, take her to get her haircut how she wants it, short

6 Likes

Does she have a doll that she cut her hair instead? That might be an option. Reward her for using the doll only. Put her in time out if she continues to cut her own hair, or have consequences.
A doctors advise might be the best ! She knows better at this age.

2 Likes

Take her to get bangs or help her figure out how to style it to keep it out of her face, putting it up, Bobby pins, clips, etc.

1 Like

How is this even a question? Take away the scissors until she can understand

6 Likes

Take her to a beauty shop and have some one give her a professional hair cut. They can show her ways to comb it to keep it out of her face.

1 Like

Take her to get a haircut :joy:

2 Likes

Cut her hair short

1 Like

Lock all the cutting implements away!!! Good God lol. My 6 year old hates having her hair in her face too so I usually just put it up in braids or something. There’s tons of styles you can do to prevent it getting in her face. My daughter’s hair is down to the middle of her back.

2 Likes

I went through the same exact thing with one of my daughters. She’s now 11 years old.
After all was said, tried and done plus I had to shave the rest of her hair off bc she hacked it so bad. So we called it a hair cut like Daddy’s and she always seemed comfortable with it. After all her hair grew back, she started cutting her hair again but this time, she only cuts the cowlick.
All of my girls were born with curls. My middle child is the only one who cuts her hair and it’s not because she didn’t like her hair, or the curls but come to find out through sitting down on her bed in her bedroom, she tried to find the words to tell me and couldn’t so she confessed that’s why she made up the lies-to get my attention etc…she needed my undivided attention and just didn’t know how else to get it but to do something she believed would be “bad” and made a poor choice as a result.
We talked, hugged, cried alittle too, but then chins up, wiped our tears and started making some changes and implemented some new activities that would help fulfill her needs.
She was doing good there for awhile up until about 2 months ago and she cut that cowlick again. SMH :woman_facepalming:t3:
LOL :joy:
Not sure how to give advice but I can share my experience. I feel you tho! Best wishes & good luck with yours! :heart::pray:t3::muscle:t3::kissing_heart:

1 Like

Take her to get bangs or a haircut that isn’t going to bother her

1 Like

When my daughter turned five she begged us to cut her long beautiful banana curls we said no so she took scissors to her own hair and I had to take her to the salon to fix it she had the shortest Bob after that and eight years later she still has short hair she cannot stand it long

She hasn’t gotten it cut since September it’s usually shorter then this

Take her to get her hair cut.

2 Likes

Take her to get a cute short haircut.
Some girls like really short hair & that’s ok!

& If she likes to cut hair, get her some hair heads, maybe from a beauty school in your area & let her experiment.
You might have the next Hollywood stylist on your hands :heart:

Encourage, not discourage :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

I clippered my daughters off

Take her to get a professional haircut. Let her look at photos of haircuts and pick what she wants, something that will be easy to style away from her face.

7 Likes

Maybe she’s being bullied and scared to say something

Give her a pixie cut

Get her a haircut that it doesn’t go in her face.

1 Like

The amount of laugh reacts makes me want to throw up. Grow up and help a mama out, or shut up. Seriously.

I have an undercut all the way around. Next to no maintenance, but still long hair on top for if/when necessary. Best of both worlds.

I would start by putting scissors where they can’t find them. Then let them pick out haircut and take them to a professional stylist to get a cut.

2 Likes

Use gel to slick it back into a ponytail

Take her to the hairdresser and have her pick out a cut she likes and they can teach her to style it.

1 Like

My daughter kept doing this. I put the scissors on top of the fridge, she climbed on my counters to get to them. I hid them, she found them. I cut her hair off the last time she cut it, like boy short. She had cut it 4-5 times and it was all uneven and I told her she didn’t need hair if she wasn’t going to leave it alone. It’s grown back out now and she says she will never cut it again and has gone a year without cutting it.

I used to do this. I still cut my own hair. I’ve been doing it since I was ten years old. Maybe take her to get a short cut that’s out of her face.

Maybe get her some doll heads to practice on don’t necessarily discourage her from experimenting on herself.

2 Likes

Just take pictures when she gets married put it on the video. There could be worse things.

2 Likes

Cut it at the hairdresser how she wants it?

5 Likes

Get her clips so she can pin it back or teach her how to style her hair so it’s not in her face. She’s not to young to teach her how to manage her hair. Sit down and come to a solution together. Have her come to you when it’s bothering her and you do something about it.

1 Like

Take her to a salon Let them fuss over her

3 Likes

Lol…I used to do the same thing when I was a kid, idk why. Give her a cute pixie cut and hopefully she’ll stop.

2 Likes

Seek counseling please

5 Likes

Pixie cut. Problem solved

3 Likes

Shave it. Problem solved

3 Likes

My daughter also did this. We took her to get a pixie cut. I hated it. But she loved it.

2 Likes

Ask her to find a pic of how she wants her hair cut and take her to get it done

5 Likes

We let her decide her hair cut and how often she needs it trimmed, she tells me about every 3 months, Which for her chosen hair style is pretty normal for up keep, it’s been a year and zero issues since.

3 Likes

Do you discipline her when she does it? How does she keep getting ahold of scissors? Put all scissors up out of her reach and search her room for any scissors too. Take her to a salon and have her pick out a hair design she wants.

6 Likes

Take her to a stylist and let her cut it as short as she wants. She’s at that age where is perfectly acceptable to let her

1 Like

Put scissors up where she can’t get them, and I would do a short bob or pixie cut to keep it out of her face

2 Likes

Take her to get it cut or let her keep cutting it obviously she wants it shorter and to keep getting trimmed to keep it that way

Ask her what kind of hairstyle she wants it shouldn’t be a big deal it’s her hair let her explore with it as long as it’s safe just support her choices she has to live with herself looking whatever way not you so let her find a hairstyle she likes

5 Likes

It’s totally normal for kids around that age to do this

2 Likes

Also shaving her head is really cruel and uncalled for

7 Likes

Pixi or Pixi bob cut

It’s her chance to express herself. She’s 8. Just take her to a professional so she can get whatever haircut she wants and the problem should be solved.

1 Like

For starters I’d definitely remove all scissors and after that I’d ask her what she wants done with it and do it.

1 Like

I would promise her hair bows, barretts etc if she doesn’t cut it. And that would keep it out of her face :slightly_smiling_face: Might work with her having a goal.

Put all scissors away from her.

1 Like

Get her a good haircut or some clips

2 Likes

How does she keep getting scissors? I mean you literally have all the power by taking away the scissors

5 Likes

She told you the problem, she doesn’t like the hair in her face. Instead of punishing her by cutting her hair bald, take $20 bucks and go to a salon & have one of the woman cut her hair into a style that won’t fall in her face.

6 Likes

I say it’s her hair. Let her choose how it looks. She may like it all wonky and chopped up. She maybe a future hair stylist or something like that and your getting in the way of her passion . Buy her the har cutting doll and let her take control of what she wants done with her hair. But explain you’d like it done in a salon if that’s your wish. But honestly it really shouldn’t matter. It’s just her hair.

3 Likes

just hide all the scissors - had to do the same and no spanking wasn’t even a thought as that teaches nothing but trauma. she will be an adult talking to her hair dresser about how she hates haircuts and her therapist will dig deep and reveal the trauma of being spanked at 7 years old for not getting it . Shanas advice is ridiculous Just hide the scissors - at school / sitter whatever let them know so they can make sure she doesn’t have scissors

2 Likes

Remove the scissors, ask her if she wants short hair or shaved hair, take her for a haircut, and don’t stress about it. Kids do that from time to time. Take pictures and laugh about it someday

3 Likes

Maybe she wants short hair. My now 12 year old has expressed wanting her hair really short so i agreed to take her to get it cut how she wants it and shes above the moon. Most may disagree with my choice to allow it so short but the way i see it is that it is her hair and hair grows so as long as she is happy so am i

3 Likes

A ponytail or braid usually does the trick. If she has shortt hair on the forehead use hairpins to hold them together. There are some cute designs

1 Like

Shave it, don’t threaten to shave it. Your raising a future adult. Being wishy washy only confuses her. Hair grows back. My granddaughter looked adorable with super duper short hair(buzzed basically).

2 Likes

I was a junior in highschool and was still cutting and messing my hair up :joy:. I dont think we ever get out of that stage :sob:.

It’s her hair, she should be able to have whatever style she wants. She told you she doesn’t like her hair to be in her face, so take her to a hair dresser and get her to decide on a style SHE wants to have.

8 Likes

If she wants short hair go get her hair done. Its clearly bothering her.

7 Likes

Take her to get cut shirt like she likes.

2 Likes

It’s a trend to cut it and video it for tic tok… take away electronics as punishment…

1 Like

It’s her hair. Let her do what she wants with it.

3 Likes

I agree with those that suggest you take her to salon to get her the type of cut style she wants. Do make sure it is a stylist that knows what they are doing and communicate with your daughter.

2 Likes

Hair is temporary. Look up short haircuts and let her pick one. Hair is one freedom that kids should have from an early age. It can actually teach them some valuable lessons most people don’t think it can.

4 Likes

If she has told you she doesn’t like her hair getting in her face so she has to cut it why not do something instead of complaining about it? And if you shave her bald that kid will hate you. Don’t resort to shaving her that’s stupid.

8 Likes

Take her to the hairdresser and get her a pretty pixie cut :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Cute little pixie cut and hide the scissors. Don’t shave her head for disapline, that’s harsh

4 Likes

your gonna have to just let it be, until there done cutting hair

3 Likes

Keep all the scissors out of reach

4 Likes

Just take her to go get her hair cut. Maybe finding the style she likes will help; what WONT help is just buzzing it because of YOUR frustration. Hair is hair, set up a routine for hair cuts at a salon she’s comfortable at and I imagine her anxiety over her hair will reduce.

3 Likes

At the end of the day you told her no :woman_shrugging:t3: you’re the parent. It’s crazy how parenting has just flown at the window and people are like “it’s her choice”… she’s a child, she’s 7 lol she may have an opinion but what the parent says goes end of story. I’d suggest talking to her about it and finding a solution to it being in her face, but her deliberately disobeying you is not ok and she should be punched for at least that. I’d go crazy if my daughter just decided she could cut her hair just bc “she wanted to”, you aren’t alone in that.

10 Likes

Clearly she keeps finding things to cut her hair with so either eliminate those things permanently until she stops OR shave her bald. Lol you only have a couple options in my opinion besides fixing her hair every time she screws it up. :woman_shrugging: I’m glad I only have boys right now… oh my lord… I’d lose my mind.

Let her pick a style that suits HER and she might be happy about it. :joy:

4 Likes

Could you take her to the hairdressers and get her a pixie cut?

1 Like

If she doesn’t like to keep it short you can put it up everyday, hair spray and/or gel. I know there’s an aloe hair gel at Sprouts Farmers markets and most whole food and natural stores.

2 Likes

Schedule some ‘mum-daughter time’, talk about what she feels is the problem, getting in eyes, wants different style, attention seeking, something else? Whatever the answer, you can still look up styles, go to a hair dresser & get some hair products/accessories to use. If it’s chopped too short at the front/fringe you may need gel/spray until its long enough to clip back until its long enough to tie up. Growing it out can be horrible as it goes through the awkward lengths.

2 Likes

Hide the scissors how does she keep getting the scissors?

3 Likes

Get her some head wraps women use them when wanting hair out of face to apply foundation or creams so forth they have some real nice ones on Amazon, I’m sure you can find a fit for her with dazzle in them. And if that don’t stop her, she might be inspired to be a hairdresser? Possibly her strength, they have head dolls with hair, once she tears that one all up just buy some wigs and pin them to the doll’s head for her to be creative … It is always good to encourage a child on certain things, that we might see as them doing something wrong, but it might just be their inner creativity coming out and trying to express themselves without US even knowing. heres a link to those head wraps.Amazon.com : childs cloth headbands