My family tries to make me feel bad for staying home during the pandemic: Advice?

I’m so tired of being made to feel bad bc I want to stay home with my kid his grandma ( dads mom ) wants us to go to this decked out camper trick or treating event Tomorrow, I just want to stay home with my kid he’s two and bc of COVID I’m really trying to limit how much we go out am I really a bad person for this ( his dad and I aren’t together and he’s in daycare 5 days a week )

91 Likes

You do you. Stick to your guns.
No, you are not bad for doing that, you are a responsible mother and human being. THEY are wrong.

6 Likes

I feel like if he is already going to daycare, he is already exposed, so why not have a little fun. Keep your distance, where mask. :purple_heart:

12 Likes

You are definitely not a bad person! You are choosing your child’s health over everything, thats amazing and appropriate! … No one should make you feel bad for being a mama and protecting your child as you see fit. Even if it all turns out as ‘not quite as bad as we thought’ atleast you will know you did your mama job!

4 Likes

Don’t let anyone make you feel like you’re a bad mother because you want to limit your and your son’s exposure as much as possible.

2 Likes

I’m over it. My kids are out being kids. Kids need it. Teenagers especially. #reopenschools

1 Like

You are right. The CDC and White House task force say we shouldn’t socialize with anyone outside of our household. The more you limit how many you socialize with the safer you are. School/day care are necessities and while there is some exposure it’s the same group of people each day. Social gatherings are not necessities.

You are very wise to limit the time you spend going to events.

2 years old stay home woman let them be pissed. They will get over it or die with it

Don’t go if you don’t want to.
Do you really care what someone else thinks?
If you do you got a lot of growing up to do.

I agree. You do you. No one has any right to make you feel bad about decisions that you feel are in your families best interest. If anything, our family and friends should be understanding and supportive.

We all need to deal with the situation in what ever makes us comfortable.do what makes you happy.

Don’t go feel bad because you want to sit home tell them to come over and have a little party with you and the kids and do something fun at your house.

He’s 2, he won’t remember staying home this year anyways.

Covid rates are UP. You have nothing to feel bad about. Do what you think is best for your child and don’t worry about everything or everyone else

Dont let someone make u feel bad for trying to be a good parent and protect your child from the virus. This is a very personal choice that everyone with children has to make. If you want to limit possible exposure and stay home then do it. Stick to your guns. You are the parent and it’s nobody choice but yours.

So he’s in daycare 5 days a week and that’s okay? But his dads family wants to do something with him and that’s not okay?

39 Likes

Do what you think is best its your life

2 Likes

He’s in daycare 5 days a week but you’re worried about an outdoor event… :joy::joy::joy: You’re dumb.

23 Likes

So he’s in daycare 5 days a week, but can’t go to an outdoor trick or treat event? :thinking:

10 Likes

Do what is best for your family. Some people can’t avoid daycare, but that doesn’t mean she should have to put him at risk for even more exposure. Not everyone is able to stay home with the kids, so let’s not be judgmental because she said he’s in daycare. I mean really? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: Your privilege is showing

Do what YOU feel is safe. Anyone not happy with that can go fuck themselves. Set your boundaries, sis.

What’s difdernt from going play school to going on a day out

3 Likes

You are not a bad parent for wanting to do what’s best for your child… you should never, ever let anyone make you feel bad about the decisions you make for your child… you are the one that birthed, fed, clothed and will be the one to nurse them back to health when everyone who’s judging will go on with their normal lives!!! Do YOU!!!

6 Likes

I do not want this to sound rude but if your child is in daycare 5 days a week with other children and teachers, I think him not going to his families event is sad. Just my opinion :tipping_hand_woman:

18 Likes

Idk I’m with you Mama.

1 Like

I would think if you had him in daycare 5 days a week doing an event with family shouldn’t be a big deal. But you are his mother so do what you think is best.

7 Likes

I guess the rest of the people on here aren’t worried about covid. Some people are. If you want to limit going out, LIMIT IT. It’s your child. If it’s your day to have him, you can say no. Tell the grandma your fine with him going to their house but not going out to a large event where people are crowded and handing out TOUCHED treats.

Also, who cares if the kid is in daycare already? Yes, it’s possible to catch covid at a daycare (anything). However, obviously she hasn’t just quit her job because of covid. Someone has to watch the kid. So daycare it is. What if him going to this event is where he brings it home? If someone is worried about catching it and is limiting exposure(not going somewhere they don’t have to go meaning daycare is necessary, a party is not), don’t make them feel bad about it!!

13 Likes

People trying to make her feel bad cause her son’s at daycare yeah she has to work and the have to follow state guidelines. She’s not running around town for the hell of it. Don’t feel stay at home safe if you want.

7 Likes

Maybe she just wants to stay home? Everyone’s being so judgmental for what? It says grandma wants them BOTH to go, maybe she just doesn’t want to go out. She’s entitled to want to stay in lol. People are weird. Stay home girl.

4 Likes

Invite them over to play with child instead–less exposure is best. Day care is a necessity for working parents–trick or treating is NOT. And 2 yr olds do not enjoy most social activities like that or large parties. They enjoy one on one attention. Of course only if the family are being careful

I don’t see the problem with his dad taking him.
You risk sending him 5 days a week to an ENCLOSED child care, and your scared of a little OUTDOOR event.
:roll_eyes:
What a wonderful way to be a bitter ex IMO :clap: glad your not one I have to deal with in life.

7 Likes

I feel your anxiety is high about covid. It’s up to you how you live maybe concider a small gathering at home.

I do agree to limiting places with lots of people. However if he goes to daycare he’s getting exposed everyday.

Kinda stupid if u ask me in daycare 5 days a week but it’s bad if u go with family people need to get real this virus is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be u will be a lot better if u stop listening to the fake news

7 Likes

If he is in day care 5 days a week. He can get it from school. I’m confused.

1 Like

Daycare is a necessity so you can work they are to make sure he is safe while you provide for him what you do with him once he’s in your care is your business my kids are not doing anything this year even tho I take them to stores I’m not going to trust candy from a stranger that i don’t know could have coughed in their hand before handing out candy :woman_shrugging:t2:

11 Likes

If hes in daycare 5 days a week he is exposed more then than trick or treating

4 Likes

If he us going to daycare you should take him to family events.

3 Likes

Never wrong for following your heart! They’ll get over it. Won’t be the only decision u ever make that won’t like. Stay strong!

4 Likes

What you want isn’t always what is needed. Let that baby enjoy life with his family. Seems you’re awfully controlling

4 Likes

You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to. If you would rather stay home with some mommy and kid time do it. He is 2, there will be many more Halloweens for him to enjoy.

7 Likes

What’s the issue with his dad taking him to an outdoor event to have a little fun in the midst of all this craziness, when you send him to daycare in an enclosed area 5 days out of the week? Don’t be the bitter ex. It’s going to hurt your son the most :woman_shrugging:t3:

7 Likes

If he’s in DC why not take him to something he would enjoy?

Just tell them you aren’t going

Here’s the the thing… Your child is in daycare 5 days right? right. Do you know where the parents of the other kids go? Maybe they go out without a mask. My point is how is it any different from going to daycare?

10 Likes

No do what best for you and your baby, don’t worried about anyone esle

I agree with you till you said daycare 5 days a week. I assume its obviously necessary but daycares are petre dishes just like schools. The trick or treatimg is probably safer. Most costumes have masks already

7 Likes

He has a better chance of catching it at daycare…little kids touch EVERYTHING

2 Likes

It’s your kid. F anyone who disagrees what you choose.

3 Likes

No it does not make you a bad person for trying to protect your child the way you feel you need to.

I understand daycare is a necessity to you but those are hubs for all kinds of germs. I personally think you should let him go trick or treating.

2 Likes

I don’t think you are wrong, you are protecting your child to the best of your ability. To all the people saying that because he goes to daycare then it’s ok to go to some random event with a bunch of strangers stfu, I’m sure they are not having different people coming and going at the daycare, yes you don’t know how much those families are restricting their activities but why should she put her son out there when it is unnecessary.

5 Likes

Your kid your choice. Period.

6 Likes

Don’t talk to them. I don’t talk to like half of my aunts and uncles just cause I don’t like them all that much. Someone tried to make me feel bad about being smart, I’d just remove them from my life.

1 Like

You’re the parent, and you can choose how much risk and exposure your kiddo gets. If you simply don’t want to go, that’s one thing (and you can use COVID as a great excuse to stay home) - but you may experience some lash-back since he’s in daycare. You’re not a bad person for choosing your battles!

2 Likes

…he goes to daycare…

Give the kid halloween. Damn

Let that baby go. And honestly if your scared of covid why is he in daycare and can’t go trick or treating. Makes no sense.

5 Likes

He’s two and at that age it’s more so for the parents than the child because there isn’t much people hand out he can have anyways but as others are saying he has a greater chance at daycare than outside trick or treating

1 Like

Just go…hes in daycare 5 days a week…let the kid have some fun!

I think sending him to daycare every day is more risky then going trick or treating for an hour.

6 Likes

Take him. Because if he’s in daycare 5 days a week. Let him enjoy Halloween.

1 Like

We have just coming out of restrictions in Victoria Australia and have gotten our infection and death rate to single figures. Yes it sux to not have certain events but it would suck more if in the worst case scenario you or a someone got the virus through this event. Here childcare have taken a higher level of hygiene with the kids to reduce the risk. It is your decision and if I couldn’t guarantee everyone was masked properly and using sanitised hands or scoops to give out treats I wouldn’t let my son attend.

3 Likes

At two they’ll never remember. Next year he’ll know a little more. Bet school celebrates and you two can get happy meals and a red box movie! Good Parenting Mom, no covid at your place!

7 Likes

Debrah L. Roemisch

Reguardless if it is nessary or not as a mom of a 14 month old who is in daycare 10 hours a week and will be fuller soon

I’m more worried what she is around at daycare as lord knows who come into the sitters home when we are not their and the other kids and family
And as she starts going more over the ffuture months my concerns still linger. But I look at it as it’s no different then me going into two different offices 6-8 hours a week and rotating them between 3 offices. And my husband working with several different crews a week.

I’m way more worried about what others can be doing when we are not around vs what our house holds and families are doing and will gladly attend any outdoor events and we will be trick or treating a few blocks of people and then handing out candy the wrest of the day.

it’s the indoor at the unfamiliar places I’m worried about.

If he’s in daycare then go… kids are way worse then going outside

What’s the difference between him going to a truck or treat party vs. him going to day care 5 days a week?

1 Like

It doesn’t make you a bad person. It makes you a smart person for protecting your kiddo as you see fit. Besides, at two, trick or treating is for other people, not the kid. He won’t remember it, and may not even like it.

2 Likes

Be responsible stay home

2 Likes

If he goes to daycare around kids 5 days a week why couldn’t he go trick or treating outdoors?

4 Likes

Why are you pulling away?

If hes in day care then he can go to a event

3 Likes

Cant stop living your life. Much worse things are out there

3 Likes

Use the words “I’m not comfortable with the situation and I would rather not attend this year. I appreciate you thinking of me and wanting to include me though. I look forward to another time.” If they try to force it upon you, tell them “No thank you”. Say these words in a low tone, stay calm and if possible look them in the eye when you say it. If they insist, just say “I have given you my answer”. You don’t owe anyone an explanation as to why.

If he can attend day care 5 days a week then it’s hypocritical to say no to his nan cause of covid :joy:

11 Likes

If he is in daycare 5 days a week what is the big deal he is around how many people that have already possibly exposed him to covid what’s the difference ? Go to a Halloween party or daycare he is still possibly being exposed.i feel there is more going on here than what’s being said what is the real reason don’t like baby daddy mother?

2 Likes

You don’t have to explain yourself to anyone.
Do what you want, regardless.
That’s all.

4 Likes

If you don’t want to go, then don’t go. Have an evening in with your child and enjoy yourself.

2 Likes

You don’t need to spend any time wirh your exs family. Tell the ex MIL she is to see your child when he is with his daddy and to stop contacting you directly. If this event doesn’t fall on dads time, too bad

1 Like

Do it. Let them out the candy in the bag. And when she turns her eye when y’all get home throw it in the trash. Wear gloves and you should be fine.

He’s not really staying home during the pandemic when he’s going to daycare 5 days out of 7. Your family probably is taking it as you don’t want him with them but he can go to daycare. BUT do whatever, you ultimately are one of the parents.

1 Like

If he’s in daycare 5 days a week surrounded by other kids and caretakers I think he’ll be ok going trick or treating with her

2 Likes

Two of my kids are in daycare. We follow the rules to protect ourselves and others. Just bc my sons are in daycare doesn’t mean “well they are in daycare so they can go to a party etc…” That is not fair to the other ppl whose children are in my sons’ daycare but most especially the person in charge of the daycare which in my case is a person in the high risk range. You want to do what is right so do what is right. And who cares what others think.

5 Likes

Why keep him from having fun if he goes to day care five days a week anyways? Your child isn’t safer from COVID at day care than he would be at a trick or treating event. Stop being so antisocial.

7 Likes

You’re the mother, your decision. No need to feel bad about your decisions.

2 Likes

I mean he’s more likely to catch it in daycare than at the trick or treat event honestly. But it’s your child, your life your decision in the end. Do what makes you happy. Your kid is too young to even care

2 Likes

Between daycare and having to go out to stores, which are 2 of the most to cause any infections, i think trick or treating would be okay. Using covid as an excuse so that he cant go is kind of null and void at this point. There are many people participating in trick or treating that are still planning to use masks and gloves and a few Ive seen even doing tiny giftbagsrather than having a bunch of kids reach in a bowl. There is still safe ways of going about things but i think this is you ultimately just not wanting your exes family involved

2 Likes

No your not bad at all. Daycare probably has close to the same % of risk as this event. But it really depends on how crowded it is. My son is 1 and we will probably skip it this year

Wow people… She expressed how she felt about the pandemic. Telling her not to fear it, is not going to change her mind. I think she should do what she feels comfortable for HER child.

6 Likes

For everyone saying he is attending daycare then what’s the big deal, depending on the daycare they could take extra steps to ensure kids are as safe as possible so you have no room to judge her. My son’s daycare requires masks at all time by everyone except the babies, temps are taking for everyone in the building anytime you enter and throughout the day. Parents are not allowed in the rooms only through the entrance and exit and hands must be cleaned before entering and touching the tablet to sign in. My son ONLY attends because I still have to work and pay bills. If she doesn’t feel comfortable I can understand and you can just tell them this year you are not comfortable and maybe next year.

4 Likes

I’m in the UK & we aren’t allowed to be mixing with anyone outside of our households at the minute. Kids are still at school/nursery but with measures in place, pubs/shops still open but again, with measures in place & you can only attend with members of your household. The advice/rules are so confusing so you just do you. Whatever you’re comfortable with, don’t let anyone make you feel bad for doing what you think is best! X

3 Likes

You do not owe her an explanation.your child your choice. People are too dang pushy anymore.

2 Likes

DONT GO TO SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH. Your kid is in daycare but you dont want him to go be a kid on a holiday that comes ONCE A YEAR. Think about it because this is true and can happen to anyone, you may not want to take him out in fear of covid but you need to let that baby be your motivation because tomorrow, or the next halloween isnt promised FOR ANYONE. Life is real, death is real, and sickness is real too but dont let it stand in the way because if something were to happen thats awful, you dont want to think back wishing you had the opportunity when you should have taken it in the beginning… LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST.

2 Likes

He’s your kid…do what you want with him.

You are the mother, you are supposed to protect your children . Don’t listen to anyone . You are a good mommy.

1 Like

Totally not overreacting! COVID is very serious and contagious! I Totally wouldn’t go anywhere either! It’s the safest option. I can’t people are still taking their kids trick or treating in the first place. I’m a nurse so I’ve seen COVID up close and it’s not to be taken lightly. Don’t care what others think; you do what you need to keep your family safe!! My mom also got mad at me because I won’t see her. People are playing with fire by going on as if nothing is happening

5 Likes

Stay home with your child and make a little halloween night together :heart: hide some treats for him, dress up in costumes, have fun with it. It’s your decision …:your looking out for him. Your a good parent

2 Likes

I can hear this lady that posted this question saying I wish I hadn’t open my mouth

1 Like

Re: Trunk or Treat: how many people will be there at a time? Will social distancing and mask wearing be strictly enforced? Are people involved known/trusted by someone in either family? (Church folks, Scouting folks, neighbors, shopping center employees, etc.). Are candy & treats factory wrapped?

Seems harmless enough unless no one knows the organizers, no safety measures are taken or it will be crowded. Can your child tolerate wearing a mask? Under twos aren’t required to, but it would be safer.

If you want to give him the experience but don’t trust the source, buy candy in advance, choose only a few pieces at the event, let him eat a piece or two: you will reach into his container and pull out your own candy which you will have hidden in your palm. Repeat as needed. That night toss the candy from the event & put it in a lidded garbage can or someplace he won’t spot it later. Refill the container with the candy you bought.

I , personally wouldn’t care what other people think since they’re not the ones paying your bills or rearing your child . You do what’s best for you and your family if you don’t want to go out and don’t want your child exposed then stay at home. ! I , personally think you are doing what you think is best for you and your family to rear your child ; so you really shouldn’t care WHAT other people think!

I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer. Put the child first and ask yourself if it would make HIM happy to see his grandmother. Dad’s mother or not, that’s his grandmother and they play an important role in their lives.