My husband makes our 9 and 13 year old do yard work: Is that okay?

Our 10yo mows, cuts down small brush, trees, etc… It may seem harsh to the kids but in the long run it’s teaching them a lesson & they need that… Start young & they won’t give you as much trouble when they are older… they just need to be taught safely precautions also…

2 Likes

Thats when mine started. I think it’s a perfect time. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Kids need responsibility, if they don’t learn now they probably won’t ever care to learn. Kids don’t need to have their faces stuck in screens 25/8 getting them outside and teaching them things they WILL use in the real world is better in my opinion.

1 Like

They will appreciate him for it later!

1 Like

Yes let those kids learn how to do yard work

1 Like

Nope. These life lessons are important a d teach them responsibility.

2 Likes

It is 100% fine. My 11 yr old son mixes the oil and gas for our weed eater, and then knows to empty it out when hes done.

They are ok doing some chores. It’s not gonna kill them and will teach them responsibility. My son is 8 and I have already had him mowing. as long as they are being supervised and watched they will be fine

1 Like

Let your family do some chores!! They need to learn that it’s ok for kids to have responsibilities… So when they have kids they don’t worry if it’s to soon… You’re good mama sit down and be happy they’re learning

2 Likes

I don’t think they’re too young. As long as they understand how to do it safely and are supervised.

1 Like

If they can eat, they can do chores. :woman_shrugging:t5:

4 Likes

Thats awesome , let them work I did

1 Like

Your kids are definitely not too young. My kids are grown now but they used to have to do these types of chores. They liked it a lot better when they would do it at my parents house bc my dad used to make deals with them and pay them so much per hour to do it so they could earn all the shit he used to buy them like X-boxes and such.

Your Definitely over reacting he is completely right once they are supervised

1 Like

As long as it isn’t to hot outside kids should help around the house inside and out. It teaches them responsibility. And get ready for this world on their own one day. :two_hearts::two_hearts:

Goodness my brother & I did mowing & weeding when we were the same age. Plus a lot of other chores around the house.

5 Likes

It’s good for them to learn responsibilities as long as an adult is supervising them depending on what chore it is.

1 Like

My 4 kids (9,9,8 and 5) do chores including dishes and toilets my 9 year olds do their own laundry. My 8 year old can operate the mower

Lmfao I was 6 years old and my mom gave me a pair of scissors to go cut the grass. Mind you I lived in Florida and the grass was up to my waist. I learned quickly to use the lawnmower.

My brother and I started mowing around the age of 12. A couple of acres too. 13 is not too young at all. Our 9 year old doesn’t do yard work except pick up sticks but my husband is able to do it. I think in your situation because your husband is unable to do it and you work a lot, it is not unreasonable to have your kids do it. I look back and think about my child hood and I’m very proud of the mowing and yard work I was able to do.

1 Like

thats a good age …as long has they have there safety gear there set

1 Like

Definitely life skills to learn, maybe could’ve introduced it better and made it fun and engaging for them tho instead of a “bad task”

2 Likes

My 8 year old grandson works on the ranch with our Pa, has been running a weed eater last 2 years. No it’s absolutely ok for them to do chores. I’ve been doing that kind of stuff since I was little

3 Likes

I agree with you!!! Hire someone

2 Likes

My parents made my brother and I mow and weed-eat. Nothing wrong with teaching them Responsibility.

4 Likes

Good for him!! Kids need to know how to do things for themselves!!

5 Likes

They need to learn how to put in a dayes work at a young age. No they are not to young :exclamation::exclamation::exclamation:

4 Likes

My 8 & 12 year old sons use the weed eater and have for a couple years now. Their 6 year old sister helps clean up the yard and even uses the leaf blower. Honestly mine would rather be outside helping than doing chores inside.

4 Likes

My dad isn’t parapalegic and he made me do yard work. I pulled the weeds, clip the hedges, mowed, helped trim the tree, remove vines from the fences and sometime he’d let me use the weed whacker to do the edging near the sidewalk. I didn’t do it all bu myself but I knew how to do all of it and him and I would make a Saturday out of it. We had a list of yard work to do and we’d both do the whole list. When one task was done, whoever was done would just move onto the next task, except the tree trimming, that we always did together.

Not at all. My kids have been helping us for years. It teaches them responsibility.

4 Likes

Absolutely they should . Especially the 13 year old . It also sounds like he bought a weed eater that was safe for the younger child . Kids now days are spoiled and lazy and it’s continuing into adulthood . Good for him

I screwed up and never made my kids do anything! Now they are 12, 16 and 17 and are lazy assholes who do not know how to wash dishes or sweep… to make it worse they are all GIRLS!!!

My daughter is 10 and my husband mows on the weekends for side money and she loves going with him and helping plus he pays her $5 a yard and she looks forward to all the $ she makes each weekend. Ive tried to get her to stay home with me because my husband work truck doesn’t have air and it’s sometimes really hot but she insisted on going. I think as long as someone is watching them it’s OK. Teaches them work ethics

1 Like

Is this a joke post?

1 Like

Teaches responsibility!

:thinking::thinking: umm heck no. That is exactly what dad’s should be teaching them.
Teach them young to work hard. So there not part of the problematic generation of lazy

4 Likes

My son is 9 and been mowing and weedeating since he could walk my daughter is 12 and can do the same. I think you need to get an extra special gift for that amazing husband and father you got! You are blessed my dear.

1 Like

My son is 2 and helps his daddy

They need to be mowing an learning how to do things my son been doing it since 3 an if he could do otat3they can do it at 9an 13 I say way togo dad teach them babies right

1 Like

Good for him that what kids need

I mean I was mowing the yard by 10 myself and I’m pretty self
Sufficient without a male figure now
I don’t see what the problem is

1 Like

Nothing wrong with it children need chores

I always mowed our huge land with a push mower that young and I’ve grown up to love mowing and it must b perfect lines so no but probably should b supervised!

Perfect age to start learning yard work

1 Like

Those kids are going to grow up so dependent smh. It’s good that he took away their electronics and contribute around the house. Kids now a days have it too damn easy

2 Likes

I agree with your hubby…it’s hard on us mom’s to see them out there sweating and using all their strength. One day they will be on their own and will need to know how to do this stuff. It’s also great exercise…gets them out of the house. I have stair steps 10,11,12 and 14 year olds…been helping since they were able to walk!!

1 Like

Lady your kids need to know how to take care of business not pay someone to do a simple job that can be done by themselves.

It’s never too young for a child to learn something. Never underestimate what your child is capable of doing. If taught properly with the skills and safety they will succeed in anything. I think it’s great bonding with the kids and their father. And your husband probably notices how overwhelmed you are and this is his way of helping :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

All my children do yard wk down to 5 yrs old that’s how they learn

That teaches them hard work and responsibility. I was doing that at 9 and Farm work at 13

I mowed lawns when I was 10. They need to have supervision while they do the work. Hope they are wearing good shoes, pants, gloves and eyewear. Safety first!

I was pushing a mower when I was 7.

Teach them responsibility now, before they grow up thinking the world owes them something.

You should see our chore chart at home.

1 Like

My mom had us mowing, weed eating, raking, shoveling dog kennels (during summer and winter), laundry, ect from the moment we were big enough to operate the tools/appliances we were using.

I helped my dad at that age. Stinks he took their phones… because I used to love putting my headphones on and screaming my music at the top of my lungs, and because I was on the mower, no one could hear me. Just teaching them a good work ethic, nothing wrong with that. Especially if dads a paraplegic, they should be more than willing to help him out.

1 Like

It’s exactly the kind of good and honest work that is perfect for them. You must review all safety protocol because kids wouldn’t know that wearing flip flops for yard work is a bad idea. :grin: This is how you build responsible humans that value hard work.

2 Likes

It’s okay but kinda creeps me out, a lady and her kids used to live with us when I was little and she was mowing the lawn one day and cut off her toe on accident. Just don’t let em wear flip flops. Should be ok.

This is absolutely fine. He’s doing just fine. It teaches responsibility and skills they need anyway.
My 4yr old helps mow
My 6yr old helps mow
My 9yr old can mow and weed eat.

Why be upset? Their learning at a young age! That’s a good sign! I understand if they refuse to do yard work! They will be independent when they get a little older

2 Likes

Yes! Just wait and see the results of this in a few years. You will thank him for sure

1 Like

No teaches good work ethics makes them realize that if they do a good job they get paid

Yes kids should know how to do yard work

3 Likes

I had to do stuff like that when I was younger too, and I wouldn’t consider it a slave work thing. It’s a life skill that they can take with them throughout their lives, and if they get really good at it they could even do it for other people and make some money. Definitely a great thing to be learning. And I think there are multiple benefits here. School isn’t going to necessarily teach them how to put in hard work. As well as doing their fair share. I think they should be proud of themselves for putting in some good work and having a part in some upkeep. And I think it is ok that you are questioning if it’s ok because we all just want to make sure we’re doing the right thing for our kids. It might feel like you’re breaking through some personal walls here with it not sitting right with you, but I feel like you can trust this will end well and if the hubby has the reins on it, well girl you’re working a butt load, maybe this is one battle you can allow yourself to know it’s being handled? I think everything is going to turn out just fine​:heart::heart: what the hell give it a shot​:slightly_smiling_face:

My friend makes her 4 yr & 7 yr old kids do yard work

1 Like

It is indeed more harmful for children not to have to do these things. If your daughters are not taught now how to care for a yard then how will they know when they fly away on their own? They won’t and life will be that much harder because it will be yet another thing they have to learn in this new world of independence, or they’ll revert back to being dependent on others. Do you want strong willed independent women when they are older or weak unconfident highly dependent adult children? Your call, but the world needs the former…

U are definitely overreacting my niece has been mowing the lawn since she was 5

1 Like

Girl! I was working in the field at 9!! Getting up at 5pm to be there at dawn! Walking being the horse throwing corn seed, working under the sun!! Ain’t nothing wrong with him teaching his girl some hard work!! Nothing bad is going to happen to them!

3 Likes

It’s good for kids to do chores, teaches them responsibility. If my kids say they are bored they pick a chore to do. We don’t allow endless amounts of tv and electronics, they get a half hour before bed each day for electronics and if they are good or help out they earn more time.

Start them out young.

My son taught his brother how to mow the grass. Even though they are over decade apart. The oldest brother told him that he had to learn when he gets older can’t rely on another person but yourself. Mom is busy busting her butt for us. Show some graduattude for her. These are our chores for her.

2 Likes

By 14 your kid can go out and get a job why not set them up with a good work ethic? They live there too they are more than capable of helping out.

1 Like

Teach em young! Definitely not going to hurt anything but maybe their ego. Hard work never hurt anyone.

1 Like

The 13 year old is probably fine as long as he’s actually watching to make sure nothing dangerous happens and she’s using everything safely and properly. The 9 year old probably shouldn’t be weed eating but mowing isn’t too big a deal as long as she’s being watched too. My uncle had my brothers out doing that stuff as soon as they were old enough to take an interest. Honestly it could help them in the future to earn a little cash of their own before they get jobs if they want.

My 4 year old picks the weeds out of our front. Not doing him any harm and he doesn’t sulk he actually enjoys doing little jobs.
My nan used to pay us £1 for doing her gardening

2 Likes

Think he’s doing the right thing

1 Like

CHORES WILL NEVER HURT A KID !! my children have been doing chores and yard work since they were little.

2 Likes

My 13 yr old has been mowing and weed eating for a couple years. No they are not too young in my opinion. My nephew is 16 and been doing yard work like this since he was 8 or so, just landed a job with a local landscape company.

I was raised on a small hobby farm. I was helping bailing hay, feeding cows, milking, lawn mowing etc before 10 years old. Teaches them that they have to work for what they have and what they want. Nothing wrong with installing good work habits early in life

1 Like

Lol that’s what’s wrong with kids now days dont have to do nothing
When I was a kid you did the work had manners an respect
An ppl wonder why this world is gone to shiz in last 25 years is the kids no manners no respect

2 Likes

My kids help out around the house and my 10 y/o was weed eating

1 Like

I think it’s a good idea as long as he watches over them to be safe. I wish someone would have taught me how to when I was younger just to be independent.

Why does a 9 & 13yo have phones?

2 Likes

Not wrong. I think it’s fine, my husband taught our girls to mow lawn and weed eat at 11, but I think 9 is ok to learn

Well hell this didn’t go the way op had thought.

2 Likes

My 11 year old has been mowing since he was 5 and my 2 year old gets on the lawn mower with his grandpa and his brothers dad and he thinks he doing something awesome. My oldest dad actually has lawn mowing company and he taught him from the time they started the business and he absolutely loves it. He has done yards for people and they brag about how young he is to know so much about it. There is nothing wrong with it. Just keep them hydrated and make then take breaks.

They should do house and yard work. The younger they they learn the more they will appreciate things in life. If not they will end up taking everything for granted

My brother and I had a little mowing company in our small town long before that age. They will be fine.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. If you’re ok with your paraplegic husband doing the work in a wheelchair then what the problem with full able bodied kids doing it? They’re 9 and 13 not toddlers

Absolutely nothing wrong with this, builds character and a foundation of good work ethics!!! All kids should be doing house and yard work !! Good for him

2 Likes

Good for him. My grandson mow and weed. He done a great job. Now he make some ex money.

He’s absolutely being a great parent. Work never hurt anyone.

Perfect they are getting responsibility and the pride of helping out too! How wonderful for them someday they will be thankful in more ways than 1

My kids now and weed eat. The know how to run a zero turn🤷‍♀️

I think this is awesome. Kids aren’t made of sugar.

2 Likes

perfect fine for them to do work

1 Like

Yea you’re overreacting im my opinion … I did it for my uncle as a kid and he paid us , they can do it too :woman_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

All kids should be able to help with yard work. Teaches them responsibility. Nothing wrong with it at all! I was cooking, cleaning, doing yard work from probably age 7. Sorry to anyone this offends, but majority of kids these days that I see are lazy and only want their phones. 🤷‍♀

5 Likes

There is nothing wrong with them doing chores like yard work. As long as they have been shone the proper way to operate them.

My son is almost 16 and has been mowing the lawn for about 6 years. If your husband is disabled and you are working they should definitely be doing things to help around the house. They should be able to cook (some), clean, yard work, laundry etc. there is nothing wrong with teaching kids responsibilities and having them help you.

6 Likes

Nothing wrong with it at all I know kids 5, 6, 7 and teenagers don’t know how to do simple gardening, or using a washing machine think off it as they’re learning life skills which don’t get taught in schools

2 Likes

No chores ever hurt a kid, they are not too young to learn responsibility and to work as a family, dads in a wheelchair why not, no reason the cant do some house cleaning and laundry…its calling being part of a family, responsibility, learning good future work ethics. Its preparing them for the future TEAM work

4 Likes